Surprises/dissapointments at the World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprises/dissapointments at the World Championship

which teams`could be the surprises/dissapointments of the tournament?

surprises:croatia,australia
    dissapointments:turkey,serbia

these are my predictions.yours?

Originally posted by Giorgos Alexopoulos View Post
    which teams`could be the surprises/dissapointments of the tournament?

surprises:croatia,australia
    dissapointments:turkey,serbia

these are my predictions.yours?
    It depends on expectation you have before the tournament. F.e. I don't think Serbia or Turkey will go far, so only not making out of the group, I'd consider as dissapointment, while Aussies can reach top8, even if they doesn't have top8 squad in World Cup, just their path to it is easier than for some teams of A or B group. So it's really hard to say who'll surprise or dissapoint, when play-offs format is so unfair.
    If talking about big names, maybe then Argentina might dissapoint with early exit after 1st PO round. Not a big name, which might make it to top8: Ukraine

Comment

I agree with Mindozas, Serbia and Turkey not advancing the group would be a disappointment everything above that is a success, so expectations are low in reality.
      Surprises - Angola, New Zealand, Ukraine, getting to top 8 (because of the strength of their bracket). I don't see Croatia as a surprise this is their best team in years, they should go out as top 2 out of the group and anything bellow 1/4 finals is a failure for them. Maybe Philippines advancing the group, that would kinda be a surprise , also Puerto Rico may get back some good karma for the way they lost in the last World Champ and go far.
      And again I agree about not achieving that much - Argentina.
      Last edited by Milos.Djuric; 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM. Reason: Edited half of the post as it doesn't belong in this subject

Comment

Surprises/dissapointments at the World Championship

I'm moving some posts into a new thread, as the topic deserves one.

I't hard talking about surprises and dissapointments result wise, performance wise it's a bit easier for me.
        Surprises:
        -Finland; Erik Murphy is adding a new dimension to the team and I expect them to become even more dangerous at the world championship than in friendlies
        -Ukraine; Frattelo is doing a fine job there. Most people will be surprised their 7th place on last eurobasket wasn't a fluke

Dissapointments:
        -France; Tony Parker took over such a load when it mattered @ eurobasket I believe It will be hard for France to repeat the same performances

if US doesn't in gold, it fits in the dissapointment cathegory.
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
          Surprises:
          -Finland; Erik Murphy is adding a new dimension to the team and I expect them to become even more dangerous at the world championship than in friendlies
          -Ukraine; Frattelo is doing a fine job there. Most people will be surprised their 7th place on last eurobasket wasn't a fluke
          About Finland I just can't tell. Last year they were the surprise on Eurobasket, but I don't really know much about their performance now, I haven't been following them enough.
          Serbia was 7th last year (Ukraine was 6th). We barely got into the WC
          I was surprised by Finland's results, but I don't think I was ever surprised about Ukraine's result. They are a tough team, and it wasn't really unexpected when they beat us in the group phase.

Comment

i will have to go with Ukraine. They actually have a decent and tough team and considering their group the can actually make a decent run in WC

Comment

I think the following results would be considered disappointments: (in bold teams that I think will be disappointments)
              USA, Spain: anything but the gold
              Lithuania, Brazil: quarterfinal loss or worse
              Serbia, France, Croatia, Greece, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Australia, Slovenia: 2nd round loss or worse
              Ukraine, New Zealand, Dominican Republic, Finland, Turkey, Mexico, Angola: not advancing to 2nd round
              Senegal, Korea, Philippines, Iran, Egypt: 0-5 record in group stage

It's all about tiers...
              Last edited by christodoulou76; 08-25-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
                I think the following results would be considered disappointments:
                USA, Spain: anything but the gold
                Lithuania, Brazil: quarterfinal loss or worse
                Serbia, France, Croatia, Greece, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Australia, Slovenia: 2nd round loss or worse
                Ukraine, New Zealand, Dominican Republic, Finland, Turkey, Mexico, Angola: not advancing to 2nd round
                Senegal, Korea, Philippines, Iran, Egypt: 0-5 record in group stage

It's all about tiers...
                Then you should switch places for at least Serbia and Ukraine
                Consider that Serbia is in the tougher bracket while Ukraine is on the weaker side, with USA in the group so even if they are 4th in the group they can beat Lithuania/Australia/Slovenia...

Comment

Turkey is a joke with an idiot coach.

Croatia will reach semi final imo.
                  IF YOU ARE NOT REAL CANARY, THEN FU

https://twitter.com/INTEGRAL1907

REPUBLIC of FENERBAHÇE 2017-18

Sloukas, B Dixon, Colom, R.Neto
                  Wanamaker, Guduric, MeMa, Djedovic, Causeur
                  Datome, Bertans, Nunnaly, Hanga, Lojeski, Ponitka, Ulanovas
                  Melli, Kalinic, Shengelia, Bjelica, Teletovic
                  Vesely, A.Düverioğlu, Marjanovic, Dubljevic, J Hamilton, Lauvergne, Jokic, Ante Zizic

Comment

Turkey has many talented players (osman,melih,sipahi,Kanter,batuk) and other. Also i appreciate coach ataman. Your goal should be the European championship 2015. Big disappointments the calls of gonlum and tunceri. Do you know who cut instead of gonlum?
                    Originally posted by INTEGRAL View Post
                    Turkey is a joke with an idiot coach.

Croatia will reach semi final imo.

Comment

Turkey has many talented players (osman,melih,sipahi,Kanter,batuk) and other. Also i appreciate coach ataman. Your goal should be the European championship 2015. Big disappointments the calls of gonlum and tunceri. Do you know who cut instead of gonlum?
                      Ersan İlyasova and Enes Kanter could have played if they weren't injured. Well I don't believe in Enes Kanter's injuriness misery. I hate this guy very much. He never saw himself a real Turk and excited when Turkey lost last year.

Healthy Ilkan Karaman and some great prospects from young NT will be added to team next year hopefully.

Vesely, A.Düverioğlu, Marjanovic, Dubljevic, J Hamilton, Lauvergne, Jokic, Ante Zizic

Comment

Originally posted by INTEGRAL View Post
                        Ersan İlyasova and Enes Kanter could have played if they weren't injured. Well I don't believe in Enes Kanter's injuriness misery. I hate this guy very much. He never saw himself a real Turk and excited when Turkey lost last year.

Healthy Ilkan Karaman and some great prospects from young NT will be added to team next year hopefully.
                        yes, i also think that Karaman is a great prospect

Comment

Karaman stayed at fener?

Comment

Karaman stayed at fener?
                            No he was injured whole year and he wasn't hardworking enough.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information