PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Euro young player of the year

rikhardur
12-29-2006, 10:06 PM
The FIBA Europe nominees for the 2006 European young player of the year also early this month. Interesting too to make afterwards a comparison between the top choice in this poll and in FIBA's.
I was firstly inclined to vote for Rudy, but then I thought of Rubio. Rudy might be the leader of his team at 21, but Rubio at 16 and making the wonders he's been making... I just had to vote for him ;)
My vote on FIBA's poll btw: 1 - Rubio, 2 - Fernández, 3 - Schortsanitis.

Juan Carlos Nadal
12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Hmm... Who should it be? Bargnani had a good season in EL and he became the first pick of the draft but the latter does not represent a sports achievemnt of course. Similarly Rubio, despite registering some amazing stats for his age he is not as critical for his team's game as for example Rudy is. Besides Rubio will be competeting for this award for the next 6 years :D. I'm sure his time will come. Sofo has at last lived up to his potential but his recent weight/fitness-related benching may take its toll on his chances. If it was up to me I would say Rudy. He plays very maturily for his age, he has had an impact both in his club and NT last year, and he continues still to deliver in the new season too.

Also Ersan, Akyol and Demirel had amazing breakthrough(ish) seasons but they stay a step behind the 4 abovementioned simply because they did not get as much exposure as them.

elaj
12-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I voted for Marco Belinelli. I just loved his performances during the World Championship, and he also had a great previous season with Climamio Bologna. He's doing fine also this year, not so good as last year's but still good enough to be in my opinion the best young player in 2006.

Markoishvili
12-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I`ll give my vote to Fernandez, he has been leader of Euroleague team and 6th man of World Champions, Bellineli comes 2nd, others 2 steps behind.

mktackabery
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
How can you not give this to Fernandez? Rubio still such a baby! tsk tsk.

Joško Poljak Fan
12-30-2006, 02:32 AM
Preldžić or Vidmar will surpass half of the player listed above, that's all from my part.

wardjdim
12-30-2006, 04:12 AM
It's not even close... Ricky Rubio
#2 Bargnani, #3 Ilyasova

Nikoo
12-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Biedrins:confused:
20/10/5 against Tim friggin Duncan
14/17 against Memo and Boozer
34/15 agains Camby

caaprius
12-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I chose Ilyasova. I loved the way he played in WC, whilst Bargnani skipped it because of NBA.

Nakz
12-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I voted for Ilyasova, he showed he can compete (and sometimes even dominate) in the highest level, while he just got back from some serious injuries.
#2 vote would go to Fernandez, he keeps getting better and better and improves himself every game.
#3 Rubio, he's just 16 and already competes with the big boys.

Trifilli
12-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I voted #1 Rudy Fernandez, for the great things he does in Badalona and for being a leader of that team already at such a young age. #2 was Schortsanitis for me, who played a very important role for Oly last season and helped Greece to win the silver medal at the WC. #3 on my list is Marco Belinelli, because of the role he plays/played for Climamio this and last season and because of the things he showed at the WC.

Other players on that list might have more talent/potential than these/some of these players, but can't compare to what these three players achieved this year on the mens level imho.

HIGHLANDER
12-30-2006, 01:18 PM
It should have been Schortanittis if that coach had not taken a personnel disliking to him.:cool:

rikhardur
12-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Biedrins:confused:
20/10/5 against Tim friggin Duncan
14/17 against Memo and Boozer
34/15 agains Camby
It seems they all forgot about him... They'll regret it I'm sure :cool:

Picek
12-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I voted for Rudy...
not only because he is my favorite spanish player but because he led his team to first european trophy after 10 years...
he played great for Joventut in spanish league who lost only after fifth game to Unicaja in playoffs..
he had a good first WC...
and he is leading his team towards the euroleague TOP 16...

I don't think there is single young player in europe with that kind of achievements in last year..

in second place I would put Ricky Rubio..
mostly because of his quadruple-double on the U-16 (or was it U-18) EC..
and I have to admit he is playing very good in ACB league and euroleague even if he is 5-10-15 years younger..

achinet
12-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Spanish basketball is in a great moment, 3 of them are spanish and one is Canary.

I like very much Sergio Rodriguez but my votes are:

1. Rudy
2. Bargniani
3. Rubio (But he is very young still)

Buducnost PG
12-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Spanish basketball is in a great moment, 3 of them are spanish and one is Canary.

I like very much Sergio Rodriguez but my votes are:

1. Rudy
2. Bargniani
3. Rubio (But he is very young still)

If i am right Rudy, Rubio and Gasol are from catalonia. Imagine catalonia splits from spain. They would have a great NT. I also like how Marc Gasol is playing this year.

Manatax
12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
If i am right Rudy, Rubio and Gasol are from catalonia. Imagine catalonia splits from spain. They would have a great NT. I also like how Marc Gasol is playing this year.

Rudy is not from Catalonia. However, you forgot Navarro, Raül López...

Buducnost PG
12-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Rudy is not from Catalonia. However, you forgot Navarro, Raül López...

You are right.;) He is from Germany´s part in Spain Palma de Mallorca.:D ;)

achinet
12-31-2006, 01:52 PM
... Imagine catalonia splits from spain...

I don't want to imagine that. The catalans are the core of all spanish NT in each sport. Without them Spain has no chance in any sport.:rolleyes:

damelo
12-31-2006, 03:10 PM
For me the main guy in Spain will mostly be Ricky, wether Rudy is astonishing... Ricky is just crazy, the way he compete with fully grown guys... And, he is one of the top Euro defender. I also love Big Baby Shaq.

FRANKY 13
12-31-2006, 06:08 PM
I dont get why people seem to ignore big sopho.
He had a great EL year beeing actually one of the stars of a very good team and then had a very good performance in the WC.

I understand that somebody can prefer rudy but still nobody voted for shortsi.

Oh and once last thing to those who think that rubios performances are so incredible that deserve this award.
Big sopho played also in the A1 when he was 16 and in his second year when he was 17:eek: he averaged 13 points per game:eek: in the greek championchip. And his team was not bad at all since iraklis actually finished in the top 6 and had players like diamnatidis, iliadis.
The only difference with rubio is that he didn t play in the EL but does anybody doubt that a player averaging 13 points in the A1 isn t able to perform in the EL(well at least the 3 points of rubio)?
So why does rubio deserve the aword and not big sopho back then?

a-Ha
01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
for me there's no doubt - Andris Biedriņš :) he will show to whole Europe how good he is in Eurobasket 2007

Jilou
01-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I voted for Baby Shaq after seeing (again) the famous Greece-USofA game. That guy has good fundamentals, good hands, positions himself at the right place. I'm wondering when he'll make it the draft and in which position.

Juan Carlos Nadal
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I voted for Baby Shaq after seeing (again) the famous Greece-USofA game. That guy has good fundamentals, good hands, positions himself at the right place. I'm wondering when he'll make it the draft and in which position.

He has already been selected by the Clippers as the 34th overall pick in the 2003 draft.

Basketball GOD
01-04-2007, 09:52 PM
i also would go with big sofo.
imo other real candidates are Belinelli and Fernández
others are just fillers. personally i don't know who is that Demirel's guy? Some Turkey emigrant who plays for German soccer team?
İlyasova, Rodríguez and Akyol - solid but not impresive.
Bargnani - well he didn't play in WC, his season in Benetton wasn't bad but i think that Sofo, Belinelli and Rodríguez was more important to their teams and his draft possition doesn't elevate him for being the best young player this year.
Batum and Rubio - who in the hell cares what they did in U-16 or U-18? OK they are big time prospects but i really don't think that these kids should win this award.
why i choosed sofo? well he destroyed USA also he is as dominant player as anyone you can find and i like his playing style and his antics :o

Levenspiel
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
personally i don't know who is that Demirel's guy? Some Turkey emigrant who plays for German soccer team?
Honestly, that was my first reaction, too :D.

I thought for about 10 secs who might this Demirel be. Then, ok.. this must be our U-20 national team PG, Hakan Demirel. I really like this guy, but among other youngsters, his name looks as weird as Di Biella does in the Euro Player of the Year poll.

rikhardur
01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/rikhardur/2nd/hr5tjm.jpg

And so it is, yesterday FIBA Europe named Rudy Fernández European young player of the year, matching the poll here in Interbasket :)
In the fan's vote he got the 4th place, but with the panel votes he reached no. 1. Curious to note that Ricky Rubio topped the fan's choice ;)
The final list with all the players:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/rikhardur/2nd/Semttulo-4.jpg
http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_I5OCpV1OHT-3NzypqexFu0.coid_LYgaP1rgIaALHUJgVWJxb1.articleMod e_on.html

The final list of our poll:

Rudy Fernández - 11 votes
Ricky Rubio - 8 votes
Sofoklis Schortsanitis - 7 votes
Andrea Bargnani - 5 votes
Ersan İlyasova - 2 votes
Andrea Belinelli - 1 vote
Sergio Rodríguez - 1 vote
Cenk Akyol - 0 votes
Nicolas Batum - 0 votes
Hakan Demirel - 0 votes

Note: Apparently Martynas Gecevičius was not in the poll in FIBA's website, but appeared nontheless in their final list. Weird.

turkishpower
01-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Bargnani & Rubio has the most potential in that list.