PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Euro player of the year

rikhardur
12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
FIBA Europe revealed early this month the nominees for the 2006 European player of the year.
Who is your first choice?
It would be then interesting to make a comparison between the top choice of IBN users and the choice of the FIBA poll.
For me, very hard to decide between Nowitzki and Gasol (and also Papaloukas), but I ended up voting for Dirk :)

(The poll just allows 10 options, so I decided to leave Holden out).

Juan Carlos Nadal
12-29-2006, 09:05 PM
I have the feeling it's going to be Gasol. I mean let's not forget this is a FIBA award so that leaves Papaloukas and his EL (ULEB) achievements out. So now it's between Dirk and Pau. Given Pau's excellent (FIBA) WC and his dramatic absence from the final, in combination with Dirk's failure (if one can call it that) to win the NBA title or go the extra step with the german NT in the WC, it seems to me that the title will end up in Gasol's hands.

As for my personal opinion, I am not sure. They have all achieved great things, in different competitions, so it is hard to compare their contribution and importance in each of these. It's dead subjective anyway. I can't decide.

rikhardur
12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Given Pau's excellent (FIBA) WC and his dramatic absence from the final, in combination with Dirk's failure (if one can call it that) to win the NBA title or go the extra step with the german NT in the WC, it seems to me that the title will end up in Gasol's hands.
My opinion also, with Nowitzki perhaps coming second on FIBA's poll.
Just for the record, my vote on FIBA was: 1 - Nowitzki, 2 - Gasol, 3 - Papaloukas.

elaj
12-29-2006, 10:28 PM
SuperDirk got my vote. :)

karim
12-29-2006, 10:36 PM
nowitzki who ? gasol ofcourse :D

Markoishvili
12-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Fabio Di Bella is my favorite Itallian player, but what the hell is he doing in that pool?

I would give it to Dirk once again, Dallas has been playing best basketball in the NBA over the course of last 12 months, unfortunately they blowed it up in the Finals, but Nowitzki outplayed Tim Duncan and was clutch in the playoffs. Gasol missed WC Finals and start of the season. Papaloukas is clutch player, but he isn`t among best when it takes all into accounts, he does not takes nearly as much burden as Gasol and Nowitzki do.

rikhardur
12-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Fabio Di Bella is my favorite Itallian player, but what the hell is he doing in that pool?
I found it a bit odd too...

Joško Poljak Fan
12-30-2006, 02:34 AM
Di Biella'???????????

??????????

even mentioned in the same sentence as Nowitzki, Papa or Gasol?

caaprius
12-30-2006, 10:14 AM
the one and only, Dirk Nowitzki

ziv
12-30-2006, 10:33 AM
we should all vote for di-bella just to show how dumb is fiba...
anyway it's realy wired that they put him there. what would you say is the original reason for it? were they trying to force an italian candidate to the poll? in that case, wouldn't soragna or bargniani be a better option? even belinli had a good last season and WC - only this year he's not doing so well...
that and more - we should they force an italian and not a turk?
and selecting v-span before diamntidis which i think the greek will agree that it's a strange move.
you just see things like that and you wonder who's running things over there in fiba.
r-bell, any comment on this?

wardjdim
12-30-2006, 11:53 AM
and selecting v-span before diamntidis which i think the greek will agree that it's a strange move.

Obviously...

Trifilli
12-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Imo it's between Dirk, Papa and Gasol. In the end I voted for Papa, as he won the EL this year, showing great things in the F4, together with the silver medal at the WC and the amazing semifinal against the US. Dirk already got it last year, although I must admit that he's playing huge once again in Dallas and imo he can't really be blamed for Germanys failure (if we can call it that way) at the WC, as he really didn't have much support from the rest of the team. Gasol played a huge WC but also had a better team than Dirk and the Grizzlies are just tragic in the NBA atm (ok, Gasol was injured and only made 8 games so far), so he was only #3 for me.
No comment about Di Biella...

SHARP
12-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Pau Gasol,of course

Buducnost PG
12-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Dirk:cool:

achinet
12-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Gasol. He is actual WC MVP. And he alone took Grizliez to the Playoff insted Dallas that have more valid players around Dirk than Gasol in Menphis.

Levenspiel
12-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Nowitzki.

Carrying a team to the NBA-finals is a huge achievement alone. And he's easliy one of the best 5 players in NBA right now.

karim
12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Di bielle is actually the only player on this list that i dont even know ...was he with italy in the WC ? and as for dirk they clearly had some bad calls go for them against san antonio in the final seconds of both games 3 and 4 and went up 3-1 after they won it 4-3....which means san antonio should clearly have won the series if it werent for these bad calls and than dallas won against pheonix who were without their superstar amare stoudamire so i dont see what dallas did was so much an achievement.......As for dirk being better than gasol , gasol has been single handedly taking memphis to the playoffs every year whereas dirk has so many players who are almost as good as him helping him(jason terry,josh howard,jerry stackhouse) .

rikhardur
12-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Di bielle is actually the only player on this list that i dont even know ...was he with italy in the WC ?
Yeah he was, check it out http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_rdCa0AljHPAjbl9YuZSHL2.coid_GWVcUmLBGWo0bYaf5Z C1g3.articleMode_on.html

FRANKY 13
12-31-2006, 05:52 PM
papaloukas imo

Nowitzki can be excluded. He won last year and he can t win every time. Ok we know that he s the best euro player, no questions asked, but thats not the point of the vote. If the purpose of the vote was to find who the best player is the nowitzki should win this every year for the next 5-7 years.
The vote is about awarding a player who achieved something really special.
Special about nowitzki would be winning the finals of the nba.

So it s between papa and gasol. And I think that gasol not playing the final of the WC isnt an adventage. Also his injury left him behind since he missed half of the saison.

Anyway I think its 50-50 between those 2.They had a really succesfull year. Didn t fail( well perhaps papaloukas failed in the wC final and gasol in the 2006 playoffs) but overall they had a very successfull year.

karim
01-01-2007, 09:32 AM
oh so Di Bella is a candidate for best euro player of the year having averages of 7.8 points and 4.1 rebounds and his team losing in the second round of the WC , fiba is really smart ! :confused:

MikeMaccabiFan
01-03-2007, 07:08 PM
By the way, which Parker is mentioned?
Tony or Anthony?

Anthony was EL MVP, Tony is European... go figure...

rikhardur
01-03-2007, 07:20 PM
By the way, which Parker is mentioned?
Tony or Anthony?
Tony ;)

Calvin
01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Easy, Theodoes Papaloukas. Won the championship, eliminated team usa and beat an nba team with CSKA. If Dallas won the championship than Dirk but they didn't.

rikhardur
01-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Italian magazine Superbasket named Garbajosa as European player of the year: http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/5786/180/item

rikhardur
01-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport named Nowitzki European player of the year (for the 5th consecutive time) earlier this month. He's one Euroscar shy of matching Sabas.

Trifilli
01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Theo Papaloukas is the 2006 FIBA Europe Player of the Year (link (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_kl-Qub2wHLUH0UwthgNad1.articleMode_on.html)), winning first place both in the panel and the fan vote. Pau Gasol got the 2nd place, Dirk Nowitzki the 3rd one. Congrats to Theo :)

rikhardur
01-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Theo Papaloukas is the 2006 FIBA Europe Player of the Year (link (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_kl-Qub2wHLUH0UwthgNad1.articleMode_on.html)), winning first place both in the panel and the fan vote. Pau Gasol got the 2nd place, Dirk Nowitzki the 3rd one. Congrats to Theo :)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/rikhardur/2nd/hjhm.jpg

Congrats to him indeed ;) As to all the Greeks here as well. All in all he deserved it :)
FIBA's choice matched our poll as well, with Gasol and Nowitzki changing places in both of the polls. Interesting to note that the fan vote and the panel vote agreed on the four first players.

The final list:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/rikhardur/2nd/Semttulo-9.jpg
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_kl-Qub2wHLUH0UwthgNad1.articleMode_on.html

Our poll's final list:

Papaloukas - 14 votes
Nowitzki - 11 votes
Gasol - 6 votes
Navarro - 2 votes
Parker - 2 votes
Di Biella - 1 vote
Garbajosa - 1 vote
Lakovič - 1 vote
Spanoulis - 1 vote
Diaw - 0 votes

NOTE: Similarly to what happened in the 2006 Euro young player of the year, FIBA messed it up a bit. Di Biella appeared in their poll, but he doesn't appear in their final list :rolleyes:

Interview with Papaloukas about winning the prize: http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_vGxXDWkNJDM4iTfSi42cI3.articleMode_on.html

wardjdim
01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Congrats to Papaloukas! I had voted for Garbajosa, but Theo was astonishing too.. :)

CG
01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
congratulations to PAP.Again an another success for him and personal award in the last years.He is the most successfull player of the last 3 years at least and fully deserver it.
Congratulations also to Subotic:D who said that "you will never find the money that OLY gives you (400.000euros) ) and didnt keep him in OLY and never trust him as player.

final countdown
01-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Congratulations Theo :)

What a year he had!!
He deserves this award all the way.

He is not playing in the NBA, so he is not so much known like Dirk or Gasol, but is one of the best PG in the world right now and most important he keeps staying in Europe.

I was surprised by a lot of friends here in IBN, who didn't believe in him, but others think different.

a cool video about him
http://www.sport-fm.gr/news.jsp?newsID=72286