PDA

View Full Version : [round2, day3] Game F/9: Finland - Slovenia

Levenspiel
09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
16-Sep-2013
21:00 CET

Slovenia has already qualified, but the 1st place is at stake if Croatia wins as well. Finland, on the other hand, has already been eliminated regardless of other results.
But with a FIN win here, things might get complicated. They may break the hearts of Greeks, for example, as ESP-GRE-FIN may end up in a 3-way tie where ESP gets the last 1/4 final spot.

What do you expect from this last game of the 2nd round?

Joško Poljak Fan
09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
As Slovenia plays as the last, they'll already have all the calculations clear, however after that debacle against Poland I don't think they'll allow themselves a simmilar story against Finland, even if Croatia would win and this game would mean nothing.

Sekulič, assistant coach already gave indications of the basics, that are pretty obvious. Koponen will be guarded in the same way as Spanoulis and Belinelli were, with large and intense rotation, prevented from getting the ball, extensively having to chase his guys through screens etc. If Slovenia will show the ussual energy and eliminate Koponen, we should win, even if the only thing Finland really missed in the past few games were their 3pointers they excelled at in the last championship. If the biggest issue with those long ranged shots was the pressure they've put on themselves lately, than it should be a closer game than many expect it to be.

baelor
09-16-2013, 08:14 PM
So the 'crazy championship' continues... There's no big motivation to give their best for Slovenians in this game, but to trail almost 20 against Fins that's before your homecrowd...well... that hurts.
Slovenians will go far? Don't think so yet...

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
This tournament is weird as hell, I love it.

pimpekaustas
09-16-2013, 08:19 PM
if i was slovenian and payed the ticket for this game i would be pissed of right now on slo players :rolleyes:

baelor
09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
OMG what a blowout! Fins are so hot... but Slovenians defend like morons

Edwood
09-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok guys, somebody tell the Slovenias that they don't have to lose from Finland in order to kick Greece out, we already achieve that by ourseves. :)

Just kiddin'. Crazy crazy Eurobasket.

FrankieJB
09-16-2013, 08:42 PM
France will punish you for disrespecting the game like that. Two games with nothing at stake, two heavy losses for Slovenia (Poland and Finland), and even no efforts to try and conceal your "don't-give-a-****" attitude (no time-out when things went awry eg).

pimpekaustas
09-16-2013, 08:48 PM
France will punish you for disrespecting the game like that. Two games with nothing at stake, two heavy losses for Slovenia (Poland and Finland), and even no efforts to try and conceal your "don't-give-a-****" attitude (no time-out when things went awry eg).

oh please, i watched your game yesterday vs serbia, and have a feeling you didnt really wanted to win either

Terrorizer
09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Slovenian players and Bozo didn't give a shit about the game but Finland's three-points shooting still needs to get credit. It was one of the most impressive I've seen in recent years. They took a heap of shots from far beyond the arc (like 7-7,5 metes away from the basket) and nailed most of them. I didn't remeber any national team playing a game with such an effective three-points shooting since Italy of the first half of 2000s. Finland's shooters were lethal this evening. In fact, I'd love to see Finns in play-offs for some refreshment but they can't cut it when it mattered most.

Even if this game has no value by itself, to loose to Finland in such a fashion is certainly not the brightest thing to do before the start of the play-offs. I suspect that another podium-free finish is very much probable for hosts. Although there isn't a single consistently good team in this tournament. Every favourite underperforms on a cosmic scale and some terribly mediocre teams get their chance for the medals. Maybe, this Eurobasket is the sloppiest I've ever seen and, you know, I'm the one who thinks that this game progressed immensely in last two decades. Slovenia-Finland was a nice game though. Slovenian defense sucked and it was painfully obvious that they lack determination and will to fight but at least it was a fun game with many spectacular moments. Props to Finland, they made an absolutely useless game a very exciting one.

LTbotd
09-16-2013, 08:50 PM
oh please, i watched your game yesterday vs serbia, and have a feeling you didnt really wanted to win either
I had feeling that they can't win :rolleyes:

FrankieJB
09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
I can't quote (button doesn't work) but @pimpekaustas: I think just like LTbotd, France didn't lose purposely, they were just bad and outcoached. This performance was a continuation, unlike that of Slovenia tonight. @Terrorizer: I think you forget (or didn't watch) Latvians vs. Ukraine, which shot 15/29 from deep (17/32 tonight for Finns).

PieR
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
My coleagues:

I don't think Slovenianteam wanted to do something "big" tonight.

They just wanted to play good game Vs. Finland, resting best players for 1/4 finals and try to win them with backup rooster.

+ Slovenian team was already pissed with results of previous games (as I was :() and that it is.

Joško Poljak Fan
09-17-2013, 12:35 AM
aaarghh...

I've spared Maljković from any criticism so far... but I don't know if it would be all that exhausting for G+Z Dragič (+ Murič/Blažič) to step in when we got to -7 in the 4th quarter. All we needed was one defensive lineup for 3-4 minutes back than, to press on Finland and make it done. However he insisted with Lakovič that doesn't have the physical strenght to play offense as long as he tries to keep up in defense. He missed that oppened 3 pointer accordingly and we went from what should have been -7 to -12 within few seconds.
I do understand this game didn't mean anything, but it would be a whole different issue to win this game after trailing by 20, than losing it by a shameful margin. I seriously fail to understand this logic... there actually better be some logic behind it... I mean we've had enought preparation games for Maljković to test the lineups dammit.

@FrankieJB, even if France is the team I desired the least, you will need quite an upgrade from previous performances to "punish us for disrespecting the game", to be honest. If you have watched the majority of the games, you're probably aware of that. I'm not saying that's not possible, but am nevertheless surprised by your confidence.

Congrats to Finn's, what I've predicted in this thread has come true. Making players feel relaxed and confident during the game isn't the way to go when you're facing a team build for a 3pointer barrages.

Liha
09-17-2013, 06:33 AM
I noticed Goran Dragic didn't play probably at all after the first quarter and if he did, the score would've been at least even at the end.

I can't believe Finland did this well in the tournament when they shot well only in 2 games (vs Slovenia and Greece). With mediocre shooting Finland still beat Russia, Turkey and Sweden. Proves how important defense is. 5 wins and 3 losses when the only weak team we faced was Sweden.

Better watch out in few years if we finally get some quality big players as a result of the hype this tournament created in Finland. Started to remind me a little bit of the attention and hype icehockey gets here. The team is young and the oldest key players, Möttölä and Rannikko didn't even play in many of the games due to injuries, so things are looking good.

Dr. Martin
09-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Finland definitely getting better and better.. see you in the qualifications for 2015 :)

andz
09-17-2013, 09:09 AM

Maljkovic never takes time-outs........

Alyosha12
09-17-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't mind this lose so much, however what baffles me is how awful Blažič has been playing. I just can't understand it. And its not just offensively. Even on defense he has been playing poorly. He is just oozing self doubt, which is really too bad. If he only had a bit more confidence, because when he decides to actually go to the basket strong, he almost always finds an opening, and the 3s he does take, go in 50% of the time, so i just don't get it.

Here is hoping he has a breakout game tomorrow though...

JureEe
09-17-2013, 12:42 PM
I noticed Goran Dragic didn't play probably at all after the first quarter and if he did, the score would've been at least even at the end.

I can't believe Finland did this well in the tournament when they shot well only in 2 games (vs Slovenia and Greece). With mediocre shooting Finland still beat Russia, Turkey and Sweden. Proves how important defense is. 5 wins and 3 losses when the only weak team we faced was Sweden.

Better watch out in few years if we finally get some quality big players as a result of the hype this tournament created in Finland. Started to remind me a little bit of the attention and hype icehockey gets here. The team is young and the oldest key players, Möttölä and Rannikko didn't even play in many of the games due to injuries, so things are looking good.

crowd went nuts.. around 5 min left in 4th, people started calling Goran Dragic to come in...