PDA

View Full Version : [round1, day3] Game D/7: Italy - Finland

Joško Poljak Fan
09-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Date: 9.7.2013
Time: 17.45
Venue: Bonifika, Koper

Two teams that were the biggest surprise by now, for majority of the fans. Italy is playing with Sweden in the last round and unless they underperform there, they are through, Finland however needs one more win to get to the second round.

Toxicity
09-07-2013, 01:40 AM
We can't underestimate Finland but in all honesty Italy is the better team and has much more talent... i don't see another surprise here.

Liha
09-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Have to be realistic, Italy wins by 5-10 or so points. Kind of weird that Finland is the taller team this time.

Dirtyh
09-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Have to be realistic, Italy wins by 5-10 or so points. Kind of weird that Finland is the taller team this time.
Yes, it was pretty weird when Möttölä said in interview that they need to dominate the rebounds. Italy has been good opponent to us becouse we have good match ups for them. Huff is going to start with Belinelli but I guess that in second half he has to play against Koponen who have been very good against him previously. Diener has not been on a level I expected and now he has to play against Salin who he is best defender against him in whole group. It's all about 3pt shooting, both teams. Interesting game and prediction is that Italy wins it by 2-5 points.

Shawshank
09-07-2013, 06:39 AM
i have to say two teams that shoot lot of jumpshots and after day 2 their games looked very entertaining.But as barkley said you life by jumpers,you do by jumpers and it goes to both teams...Italy have more weapons and most likely gonna win close game.

Italian Pride
09-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Yes, it was pretty weird when Möttölä said in interview that they need to dominate the rebounds. Italy has been good opponent to us becouse we have good match ups for them. Huff is going to start with Belinelli but I guess that in second half he has to play against Koponen who have been very good against him previously. Diener has not been on a level I expected and now he has to play against Salin who he is best defender against him in whole group. It's all about 3pt shooting, both teams. Interesting game and prediction is that Italy wins it by 2-5 points.

i think immediately we'll see koponen vs belinelli,huff vs aradori and salin vs cinciarini or diener...

homever your coach IMO is one of the best 3-5 in the tournament!!!

i think will be a close game...:)

Pagat77
09-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I bet before tournament that Finland will win the group :rolleyes: and Susijenga is very sympatic team. I was watching both their games in Koper. This one will be entartaining and I hope close one!

Toxicity
09-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes, it was pretty weird when Möttölä said in interview that they need to dominate the rebounds.

It's also pretty weird that a historically poor rebounder like Mottola can speak about rebounds even at his actual age... :rolleyes:

It's all about 3pt shooting, both teams.

Well, while Finland is Top 2 in 3p shots attempted, Italy is just 17th in that regard...

http://www.eurobasket2013.org/en/default.asp?cid=%7B221A6A0E-D8D6-4016-B84F-1CC6CF17A09F%7D&pageID=%7B83EE1F53-F57E-4CE4-97EC-0A77BBEC59C8%7D&compID=%7BD166E39E-2323-4863-B229-76357A926FA2%7D&season=2013&statCat=3PA

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 02:35 PM
This Italy team is a strong outsider for the title. They've been winning and playing great, and still they are under the radar when it comes to the favorites
Finland found a smooth system to suit them though, Petteri is a boss and they will play without giving a damn

Close game, Italy wins

Joško Poljak Fan
09-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't think Italy can be considered a favourite (or an outsider favourite for that part) with as many teams not suiting them one bit. They might come far in the tournament, especialy if their fan support will continue or preferably increase, but at later stages it would be quite a surprise if Melli and Datome could continue on with such pace without getting burned. Russia doesn't have an inside presence to talk about, while Turkey was imbalanced enough for Italian perimeter to prevent Turkish bigs from dominating, but Italy will mostlikely have quite substantial troubles against balanced NT's.

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Italy wasn't under the radar before the championship, it was just a matter of watching their preparation game or two and than adding 1 and 1 into 2, realising they can play some serious basketball if not abused in the paint. Still, Italy isn't really likely to win the title, there are too many teams that don't suit them atm. They might get far in the tournament though with such a fan support.

They aren't really likely to win the title, but so wasn't Olympiacos (they have changed the game forever haven't they?). This Italy team will be very hard to beat, you won't just get rid of them. A semi final is a serious possibility and from there anything can happen. They are still under the radar for you too a little by the way. :o

Joško Poljak Fan
09-07-2013, 03:20 PM
They aren't really likely to win the title, but so wasn't Olympiacos (they have changed the game forever haven't they?). This Italy team will be very hard to beat, you won't just get rid of them. A semi final is a serious possibility and from there anything can happen. They are still under the radar for you too a little by the way. :o
:D As far as I remember I was one of the rare people over here (or among various "experts" through the internet, better said going against those) prognosing Italy is coming through the group and to the quarters, before the eurobasket started. Now you believe because Turkey got torched that Italian game is something incredibly new and surprising. It's not. They've played just as good in some of their previous games and they showcased their ceiling there, some people that saw Italy play for the first time believe I am right now underestimating them, while I guess their opinion was the exact opposite (=overestimating them) 10 days ago... while my opinion actuay stays the same

Let me quote (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?21618-Eurobasket-2013-predictions!&p=848659&viewfull=1#post848659) a post for you:

8. Italy
Classical Italian passing game is one of the most annoying (and at the same time brilliant) thing that can occur in the match to your favourite team. Balance issue once again, this time it's a really good backcourt that really could use a defensive minded C... or even Bargnani. Italy placed at no.8 might come as a surprise for some, but as you can read further with Turkey, I believe in the direct clash their backcourt Diener, Belinelli, Aradori, Gentile will likely prevail and we'll witness a plain outscoring by Italians. Da Tome coming back should be a good news.
It doesn't take a genious to figure that out, but watching a game or two is welcoming... and I've watched too many of them this summer for various "non group A" teams to slip under my radar.

And you just can't compare the selection/team building processes in a club or a NT. just can't.

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I knew that the Italians were pretty good. They were in the same qualifying group as Turkey and even though they weren't quite as good as they are right now, you could see that they were building something with a lot of young talent. We always have to see first how a team actually does on a big tournament and in the first two games Italy was pretty impressive. Great team play, great mentality, great tactics, deep bench that doesn't bring the level down and young talent accompanied by NBA experience. After all these disappointing years this team wants to set something right, and Italian will is very strong. I do not necessarily agree with 'showing their ceiling' because this team is still very young and every game that they win only makes them more confident and stronger. This team is fresh, just what Italy needed. In a tournament already full of surprises they've got a good chance to REALLY surprise.

They might look weak on front court but when you work as a team like they do you can compensate for that and Cusin (good talent, even though already bald) will try his best. Imo Italy is an outsider, iyo they are quarter-finalists so imo I think they are a bit under your radar. Even though I might be very wrong since I've only seen two matches. Your dead-on prediction before the tournament shows me that you know what you're talking about. We will see I guess. :p

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Finland looking good so far. Excellent perimeter defense. Not so great interior defense.

Buzissa
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM
This game is probably decisive for both teams hopes to qualify for the quarter finals. Plus, two very entertaining teams and great crowd.

CG
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I smell scandinavian upset as well here...

Ps which is the weirdest thing
Russia being smashed from sweden
Or
Finland fans heard as greeks ( going to see their team miles and miles away in a...eurobasket)

This must be the craziest euro ever

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm starting to feel a very strong passion for Finland in my heart

CG
09-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm starting to feel a very strong passion for Finland in my heart

You fell in love:p
Another weird thing
Turkey fan loves finland nt :D in basketball
I can retire now

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Fucking refs

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 04:18 PM
You fell in love:p
Another weird thing
Turkey fan loves finland nt :D in basketball
I can retire now

What did you expect after being schooled by them? :p

Edwood
09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Watching the game from Italian TV, my god, the sportscaster gave me a headache. Stop talking!!!

Deschain
09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Belinelli plays like Hedo Turkoglu.
This Finland is absolutely loveable.

CG
09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I am wondering when italy meet slovenia in the second round who will be the home team?

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Belinelli plays like Hedo Turkoglu.

YES! I've noticed the similarity too

Such an amazing atmosphere in the house too! Best I've seen in this tournament so far. Refs are kind of screwing Finland a bit, especially after it was 18-24. Those last few calls were right though.

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Finland are fun to watch! :cool:

tiro1
09-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Prety entertaining first half. My bet is on Italy in a close match.

Toxicity
09-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Italy ahead without a SINGLE outside jumpshot... terrible game by Belinelli who plays too much as playmaker (coach Pianigiani should say something about that)... i expect the % will raise a little bit in the 2nd half for Italy otherwise it will be a dangerous close game...

CG
09-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Finland are fun to watch! :cool:

They are fun as long as they dont lift cups ;)

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Finland are outside of their comfort zone now, missing lay-ups and shit

Apollo64
09-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Melli is the biggest player on the floor lol

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Watching the game from Italian TV, my god, the sportscaster gave me a headache. Stop talking!!!

I somehow fell asleep just now with that commentator shouting in my ear. ;)

Liha
09-07-2013, 05:38 PM
I have never ever seen Finland shoot this poorly. Italy defended well, but there were soo many missed free shots.

boyd20
09-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Ugly one, but that's a large win (62-44) after prevailing clearly in the 2nd half.
We have clinched a berth for the 2nd phase, not something I would have bet on only a few days ago.

Very poor shooting % by our guards, but I liked that they didn't feel discouraged and attacked the smaller opponents off the dribble, drawing baskets, fouls and free throws.
Very good defensive performance from about mid 2nd quarter on, for once we weren't the smaller ones in the paint and Cusin and Melli took care of their business, well done.

Diener was the worst for us, still I hope he didn't get hurt badly, our injury list looks to be endless...

Quite disappointed by Finland, once the game got tougher and tougher and Italy defended better I almost had the feeling they couldn't make any bit of a change to their game plan and just kept shooting from downtown despite their bad %.

Liha
09-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Quite disappointed by Finland, once the game got tougher and tougher and Italy defended better I almost had the feeling they couldn't make any bit of a change to their game plan and just kept shooting from downtown despite their bad %.

Their confidence went down from the missed shots or something. Never got any momentum in the second half of the game. Could've been entirely different story if they landed the first few missed free shots and got the momentum. That can't be an excuse tho. Tough players are measured when things get tough.

I still think we'll beat Russia tomorrow tho. However I would've liked that Sweden would've lost to Russia today, because as a result of their loss to Sweden, tomorrow we get angry Russia and not the cocky one.

Terrorizer
09-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I still think we'll beat Russia tomorrow tho. However I would've liked that Sweden would've lost to Russia today, because as a result of their loss to Sweden, tomorrow we get angry Russia and not the cocky one.
Maaan, Papua-New Guinea basketball NT can beat this Russian NT and I'm not joking here (not because of rosters, most definitely). I think that your team will win even if our roster is better on the level of players' individual strength. I know teams from Russia, believe me. When they start to fail they disintegrate into bloody hysterical mess and fail even more. Not for nothing we're known as one of the worst example of chokers in European basketball. It was felt even in a last couple of tournaments which were generally successful for our team.

By the way, I didn't see this game but kinda surprised by the outcome. I thought that Finland could put up a great fight here as the match-ups and playing style of the massively weakeened at the center position Italian team was much more generous to Finns than it would be with some other teams of the strength comparable to Italian. Italy is the best surprise of the tournament so far, no matter how strange does it sound being applied to the respected European powerhouse (but their recent performances were so bad). I hope that they can keep momentum going and offer some nice surprises in this tournament, including beating Greek NT, for example.

Joško Poljak Fan
09-07-2013, 10:34 PM
I knew that the Italians were pretty good. They were in the same qualifying group as Turkey and even though they weren't quite as good as they are right now, you could see that they were building something with a lot of young talent. We always have to see first how a team actually does on a big tournament and in the first two games Italy was pretty impressive. Great team play, great mentality, great tactics, deep bench that doesn't bring the level down and young talent accompanied by NBA experience. After all these disappointing years this team wants to set something right, and Italian will is very strong. I do not necessarily agree with 'showing their ceiling' because this team is still very young and every game that they win only makes them more confident and stronger. This team is fresh, just what Italy needed. In a tournament already full of surprises they've got a good chance to REALLY surprise.

They might look weak on front court but when you work as a team like they do you can compensate for that and Cusin (good talent, even though already bald) will try his best. Imo Italy is an outsider, iyo they are quarter-finalists so imo I think they are a bit under your radar. Even though I might be very wrong since I've only seen two matches. Your dead-on prediction before the tournament shows me that you know what you're talking about. We will see I guess. :p
Italy could very well surprise and go even further, you are very right on many points in your post. However against Lithuania few days ago, where the Liths were far from spectacular but still won through sheer power under the rim. That inside game can very well be limited, but imo still is a major concern untill prooven differently. The game against Greece should give Italy a good answer in my opinion.

Koponen had a really bad day, I agree with the posters saying Finland lost it's confidence but on the other hand it's not exactly that easy to outsmart an individualy stronger opponent day after day.
I only wished for Finland to be in such position after the first three matches, even if they are one of the teams Slovenia is most likely to slip against, I definately wish them to qualify for the second round.

Italy and Finland are the best examples how important passing, spacing and a good system are for a NT. Some club having f.e. troubles with inside scoring, simply signs 2-3 aditional players under the rim, while NT's have to work with what they've got mostly and that resolves into some pretty untraditional playing styles that make the eurobasket interesting.

Liha
09-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Maaan, Papua-New Guinea basketball NT can beat this Russian NT and I'm not joking here (not because of rosters, most definitely). I think that your team will win even if our roster is better on the level of players' individual strength. I know teams from Russia, believe me. When they start to fail they disintegrate into bloody hysterical mess and fail even more. Not for nothing we're known as one of the worst example of chokers in European basketball. It was felt even in a last couple of tournaments which were generally successful for our team.

By the way, I didn't see this game but kinda surprised by the outcome. I thought that Finland could put up a great fight here as the match-ups and playing style of the massively weakeened at the center position Italian team was much more generous to Finns than it would be with some other teams of the strength comparable to Italian. Italy is the best surprise of the tournament so far, no matter how strange does it sound being applied to the respected European powerhouse (but their recent performances were so bad). I hope that they can keep momentum going and offer some nice surprises in this tournament, including beating Greek NT, for example.

Yeah we Finns know about Russian mentality from icehockey. It used to be pretty bad and once Russia starts losing it can snowball, but lately Russia has got their things straight and have been better in hockey.

Yes I'm surprised that Finland lost by so much as well. Shots just didn't land 3 pointers 3/27 was it? There was some statistic that Finland vs Italy 10 last games have all ended in under 10 point margin.