PDA

View Full Version : [round1, day3] Game D/8: Russia - Sweden

Joško Poljak Fan
09-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Date: 7.9.2013
Time: 14.30
Venue: Bonifika, Koper

An absolute must win for Russia if they want to keep their hopes for qualification to second round...

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 12:49 PM
shaky start for russia but they are finishing Q1 strong.

Apollo64
09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Sweden 5 pts ahead at halftime, both teams playing terrible basketball.

Joško Poljak Fan
09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Sweden leads by 5 at halftime. If this keeps going this way I'll once again produce some heavy minus at the prediction games :)

CG
09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Sokolov 2.14height tall trying with cool style to let the ball in the basket (instead of finish it strong as his height and strengh demands) from 3cm far from the basket and almost he makes an airball:p
Priceless

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Sweden leads by 5 at halftime. If this keeps going this way I'll once again produce some heavy minus at the prediction games :)

don't worry. no one picked sweden to win. ;)

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
This game is a battle for 5th place in the group...

pimpekaustas
09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
why basketball unlike handball is not popular in scandinavian countries? people there are strong and tall could easily make very good players

FrankieJB
09-07-2013, 01:46 PM
why basketball unlike handball is not popular in scandinavian countries? people there are strong and tall could easily make very good players

Popularity goes hand in hand with success. If your country is successful in a sport, you like it. If you like it, you buy a licence and fuel the talent pool, and then there's a self-sustained cycle... It's getting popular in Finland because they are having good results... I am not an expert of the russian ball but I wonder why Anatoli Kashirov was not included in the team. Albeit offensively challenged he's a decent center. What an ugly sight to see Sweden now plays with 2 Africans and 3 Americans. Very poor game so far, the talent level has never been so low in Eurobasket.

Terrorizer
09-07-2013, 02:05 PM
FrankieJB, Kashirov didn't play more than 3 minutes per game in last two season (the same is true for Sokolov but he warmed the bench of CSKA). Once he was a decent center, now he's done, just like many other once-promising Russioan players.

I can sy one thing for sure, Russia can shock all European basketball community! Not in a positive way, but at least we can stand out. Most of experts predicted Russia to become 'dissapointment of the tournament' but no sane person predicted them to finish with 0 W - 5 L record which is the most probable scenario right now. Well, from this game with Sweden we can see that it's not about roster. We have a roster clearly superior to Sweden. Russian abysmal performance have much more to do with awful attitude and morale in the team. It is simply disintegrated mess of desperate guys who are visibly discomfortable with being there.

Shved's surname translates from Russian exactly like 'Swedish' - with 0 assists and a shitoad of turnover he clearly plays like he is playing for Sweden. Sadly he is not the only 'shved' in our roster (Fridzon, anyone?).

pohani komarac
09-07-2013, 02:09 PM
go Massamba go:cool: i liked that fat guy in Brod last season

Levenspiel
09-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Crazy... just looking at this game, you'd think Sweden has a lot more mature bball level than Russia...

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I fucking love this tournament so far, this is how basketball should be
Upsets here, upsets there

CG
09-07-2013, 02:13 PM
We are talking about demolition
Just fucking crazy

Apollo64
09-07-2013, 02:14 PM
This is a lowpoint for russian basketball.

Dtown
09-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Just an embarrassing performance from Russia, getting run off the court by Sweden.

Marty
09-07-2013, 02:15 PM
total rape i should say :D Russian basketball rules

Toxicity
09-07-2013, 02:16 PM
This is a lowpoint for russian basketball.

Coach Katsikaris just ran away before it's too late... ;)

pohani komarac
09-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Hakanson and Gadefors closing deal

If somebody told me few years ago Medvescak will crush CSKA in hockey and even more impresive Sweden will crrush Russia in basketball I would call him crazy.

CG
09-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Coach Katsikaris just ran away before it's too late... ;)

He was forced to resign...some weeks before eurobasket...

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 02:18 PM
This tournament is living proof that upping the teams total to 24 was a great move

They should try to even the groups out from now on though, in 2011 there was the same problem

keratexas
09-07-2013, 02:19 PM
RUS-SWE 62-81..:eek: That happens when u put a woman for president..:)..

bthfan
09-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Now that was really unexpected!

christodoulou76
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Now that was really unexpected!

in this tournament nothing surprises me anymore. ;)

andz
09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
I fucking love this tournament so far, this is how basketball should be
Upsets here, upsets there

This

I am enjoying in every game that is played. What a fantastic tournament so far. F those that aren't playing for their NT's. Guys that are here are bleading for their national jersey's

Dreamcatcher
09-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Russian looses is different story cause of all that shit with new elections in basketball federation and lots of key players missing.

Deschain
09-07-2013, 03:35 PM
This tournament is living proof that upping the teams total to 24 was a great move

They should try to even the groups out from now on though, in 2011 there was the same problem

+ The teams that were not regulars to the eurobasket are now more hungry for success than the familiar teams.
Eventually, they play some nice basketball because they are usually lack the talent.

look at georgia, finland, ukraine, bosnia, sweden and I think we can even add macedonia to this lot.

JGX
09-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Such a great game.

I really like the 24-team EuroBasket, but the wild card situation with the World Cup hurts this year's edition. Even if Russia goes 0-5, does anyone doubt that they will get a wild card spot if they want one?

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-07-2013, 05:33 PM
+ The teams that were not regulars to the eurobasket are now more hungry for success than the familiar teams.
Eventually, they play some nice basketball because they are usually lack the talent.

look at georgia, finland, ukraine, bosnia, sweden and I think we can even add macedonia to this lot.

If the Euroleague would have opened its doors the same way or would now we might see the same thing. They won't though, because they suck. Euroleague, Eurocup, Eurochallenge, all teams to go there need to be based on sportive aspects (ranking in national comps), nothing else. And non-traditional basketball countries should have the chance to fight into the Euroleague, wether it be in a pre-lim, or two, or not.

bigheadburton
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Popularity goes hand in hand with success. If your country is successful in a sport, you like it. If you like it, you buy a licence and fuel the talent pool, and then there's a self-sustained cycle... It's getting popular in Finland because they are having good results... I am not an expert of the russian ball but I wonder why Anatoli Kashirov was not included in the team. Albeit offensively challenged he's a decent center. What an ugly sight to see Sweden now plays with 2 Africans and 3 Americans. Very poor game so far, the talent level has never been so low in Eurobasket.

With the exception for Erik Rush (who still has a Swedish mother) all the players speak good Swedish and are clearly Swedish, not some naturalized bullshit. Grant, Taylor and Jerebko all have Swedish mothers and are born and raised here. The Massamba brothers also came to Sweden at a very young age. So yeah you don't have to be disgusted when you watch Sweden play...

Terrorizer
09-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Russian looses is different story cause of all that shit with new elections in basketball federation and lots of key players missing.
The first is even more important than the second. I wholeheartedly congratulate Swedish NT for their great effort and fully deserved win today but their blow-out win have much more to do with the atrocious situation in the Russian national team than to the fact that the competition is much more even now. In fact, I wouldn't even call this bunch of desperate and disoriented guys a team. Though I surely agree that 24 teams formula is one of the best things that happened to the international basketball at recent times. I was hugely for it even before it became reality and I never doubted that it could be a success story depite all the critics.

About possible Russia's wild card. I doubt that we can get one. Before WC-2006 everyone said that we'll get wild card but Turkish basketball federation just shamelessly bought second European spot for those and we didn't participate in the WC for the first time in modern history. In the end, we're not Greece, so the phrase 'Russian lobby in FIBA' sounds as weird as 'Cameroonian cosmonaut' :) I'm against the whole wild cards system but as long as USA, Spain and Argentina most probably wouldn't need one, if there is a team which deserves it most based on its recent sportive history than it is our team. We're talking about the one which won bronze medals in Eurobasket-2011 and Olympics-2012, after all.

By the way, it became some sort of rule that after our biggest success we fail in a disgustingly shameful manner on the next tournament. Wanna proof? After magnificent triumph at Eurobasket-2007 we failed to make it past first group stage winning only against Iran in Pekin Olympics and our group was in fact sub-par (Argentina, Lithuania, Croatia, Australia). And, yes, we had Andrei 'ugly face and zero brains' Kirilenko in the roster for that tournament. Fast forward 5 years. And after the first ever Olympic medal for post-USSR Russian basketball team (it could be a silver one with more luck as we were able to overcome Spain in the semis but that's another story) we have this #censored# which is set to mark a new low-point for Russian NT performance even if we have in mind years 2002 and 2008.

Dtown
09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Such a great game.

I really like the 24-team EuroBasket, but the wild card situation with the World Cup hurts this year's edition. Even if Russia goes 0-5, does anyone doubt that they will get a wild card spot if they want one?

With so many high profile teams already out of it, I would say anyone's a lock I mean we could potentially have Brazil, China, Argentina and Russia in the mix. What happens if a France or Lithuania slip up?

Mindozas
09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
With so many high profile teams already out of it, I would say anyone's a lock I mean we could potentially have Brazil, China, Argentina and Russia in the mix. What happens if a France or Lithuania slip up?

Lithuania won't get it, we don't get along with FIBA Europe in recent years, so with no support, it's impossible for us to get one. One of the proofs was last years Olympic qualifier given to Venezuela when we looked as main contender to host it, but surprisingly, without proper reason we didn't. Anyway, it's obvious why

Shawshank
09-07-2013, 07:31 PM
The first is even more important than the second. I wholeheartedly congratulate Swedish NT for their great effort and fully deserved win today but their blow-out win have much more to do with the atrocious situation in the Russian national team than to the fact that the competition is much more even now. In fact, I wouldn't even call this bunch of desperate and disoriented guys a team. Though I surely agree that 24 teams formula is one of the best things that happened to the international basketball at recent times. I was hugely for it even before it became reality and I never doubted that it could be a success story depite all the critics.

About possible Russia's wild card. I doubt that we can get one. Before WC-2006 everyone said that we'll get wild card but Turkish basketball federation just shamelessly bought second European spot for those and we didn't participate in the WC for the first time in modern history. In the end, we're not Greece, so the phrase 'Russian lobby in FIBA' sounds as weird as 'Cameroonian cosmonaut' :) I'm against the whole wild cards system but as long as USA, Spain and Argentina most probably wouldn't need one, if there is a team which deserves it most based on its recent sportive history than it is our team. We're talking about the one which won bronze medals in Eurobasket-2011 and Olympics-2012, after all.

By the way, it became some sort of rule that after our biggest success we fail in a disgustingly shameful manner on the next tournament. Wanna proof? After magnificent triumph at Eurobasket-2007 we failed to make it past first group stage winning only against Iran in Pekin Olympics and our group was in fact sub-par (Argentina, Lithuania, Croatia, Australia). And, yes, we had Andrei 'ugly face and zero brains' Kirilenko in the roster for that tournament. Fast forward 5 years. And after the first ever Olympic medal for post-USSR Russian basketball team (it could be a silver one with more luck as we were able to overcome Spain in the semis but that's another story) we have this #censored# which is set to mark a new low-point for Russian NT performance even if we have in mind years 2002 and 2008.

in all 3 years (2007-2011-2012) russia had 3 leaders Kirilenko,Chriapa,Blatt.With all 3 in the team russian won 3 medals in 4 tournaments.When kirilenka didnt play in 2009-2010-2013 you dont have a chance to win a medal.The only year with kirilenka was bad in 2008,but andrey good as always just other werent playing good.Your obsesion against kirilenka i funny,he is your best players in 25 years without even contest.About Swed he sometimes can hurt your team,but if you control him he is heck of player but basically thats all your team have for the future.Blatt is gone kirilenka and chriapa is over 30+ russia again will need atleast 5 years to win a medal or even more like it was empty from 1999 to 2007...Btw russia got wildcard in 2010,do fiba will give card again to same country in the second world champ in a row? btw argentina is in trouble in their championship,they will need to win 2 last game and in good margin to qualife to top4 in fiba america or less they wont qaulife too...

Shawshank
09-07-2013, 07:37 PM

world cup wouldnt be same without teams like argentina,lithuania,russia or brasil.Championship needs those teams if they come with atleast 80% of best players.in 2010 we prove one bad championship doesnt mean that we forgot how to play basketball and won medal there and we shouldnt even play in that champ...

YuGo_BoY
09-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Russian team is lame this year!