PDA

View Full Version : [round1, day2] Game D/5: Italy - Turkey

Levenspiel
09-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Date: 5.Sep.2013
Time: 17.45 CET
Venue: Bonifika, Koper

We are up against Italy after an unexpected loss against Finland. Now Turkey is the underdog, and a win will be surprise.

Let's discuss the game here.

Toxicity
09-05-2013, 06:13 AM
It's backcourt against frontcourt... Italy has much better perimeter game while Turkey is a lot stronger under the boards... Turkey can't lose 2 games in a row so it has to be the favourite, not the underdog (just see the ODDS).

Levenspiel
09-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Turkey can't lose 2 games in a row so it has to be the favourite, not the underdog (just see the ODDS).ooh, they can... :D
I hope you're right though.

I'm expecting our guys to shake themselves up and play for personal pride... otherwise, the only win would be against Sweden (wouldn't bet on that either).

fasoulaki
09-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Italy plays with high intensity and hard defense. In addition they are supported by their home crowd because due to the small distance to Italy the hall is full of Italians.
Very difficult game for Turkey.

surfer
09-05-2013, 07:07 AM
easy to stop Italy on defense, the real problem is, do we have what it takes to execute even one organized offensive play?
maybe it is for the best if we use either Preldzic or Hidayet as a PG, it will be confusing for Italy, they don't have any players that can defend them on PG position and Hidayet can finally use Ömer Asik as if he is Howard (kidding, but it will be better than anything else).
I am sorry however we must play like this:

Hedo - Ender Arslan PG
Birkan - Sinan SG
Gönlüm - Preldzic SF
İlyasova - Gonlum PF
Asik - Erden C

In this case Ersan needs to see a lot of minutes since Gonlum has to rest at least a couple of minutes before replacing him at PF.

and Serhat Cetin must be sent home asap, there is no way he can ever be a part of NT.

Doğuş and Oğuz Savaş are also useless but we can't play with just 9 players, can we?

Edwood
09-05-2013, 08:36 AM
12 talented individuals vs a not so talented team? My bet is on the team.

Perhaps theinjuries of Italy had a good side. It seems like the remaining players have more to prove.

surfer
09-05-2013, 09:11 AM
12 talented individuals vs a not so talented team? My bet is on the team.

Perhaps theinjuries of Italy had a good side. It seems like the remaining players have more to prove.

who is 12 talented individuals? I hope you are not talking about Turkey's squad because we have 4 individuals at most that can be called talented. the rest is just individuals like you and I :)

turk-jugoslav
09-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I could not watch yesterday's game and I was shocked when I heard the result. Congrats to Suomi, I wonder how many professional basketballer they have,probably less than quarter of us. I want them to see in next round.
As for today, I expect close game and defeat in the end. I just learned that Italy hadn't Bargnani and Gallinari but I don't think it will affect the result.

Edwood
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
who is 12 talented individuals? I hope you are not talking about Turkey's squad because we have 4 individuals at most that can be called talented. the rest is just individuals like you and I :)

Objection sustained, let me rephrase it then. "12 players that before the beggining of the tournament, seemed better players than the oppositon's ones".

And you are underestimating your squad. Don't know about you but back in my bballs days I am proud to say that I managed to give a whole new prespective to the phrase "lack of talent". :)

Italian Pride
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
there will be a close game...

cusin must play at least 25 minutes,will be very important that he won't committ bullshit fouls,because he's only our player that can fight against the strong turkish frontline...

Joško Poljak Fan
09-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Great frontcourt vs. good backcourt. I don't think Italy will be as efficient containing Turkish centers as Finland was, but they do have an edge on guards firepower. On one side it's pretty unpredictable the outcome of Emir & Hedo when in the game and Italy has it's own tic-tacking bomb in Belinelli.
I don't expect Turkey to be as helpless as vs. Finland, as Finland has a way to make lots of teams look miserable, however it will take some noticably better performance by Turkey to overcome Italy. My bet is on Italians due to it.

GozGoz
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Italy win +30 =) one way to win for turkey is dont play with hedo give him a place to sit as a backup all time

surfer
09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
ok, after yesterday's game I might have started the bashing a little bit early but I don't see how we can control the game with such weakness at the guard spot.
I dont't expect Italy to easily score like they did yesterday, but let's face it neither Ömer nor Semih are kind of centers who can create their own positions. With a good passer PG they can be very effective but it is not very realistic to expect much from them with the current roster.
the same thing is true for Ersan as well. if he forces one-on-ones his percentage will keep falling down. without organization he needs to have a very luck day just like he did against Greece in Ankara in 2010.
3 most important players are inactivated just like that because we don't have a decent guard.
on the other hand Hidayet looks like the walking dead, it is funny because he needs to proove he can still play after all that drama if he wants to stay in NBA for one more season or secure a Europen contract. so far, we have not seen him even trying.
Kerem Gönlüm is the only one I trust no matter what. he's such a professional sportsman and he always gives his 100%, I wish rest of the players look up to him.
the only creative player except Hidayet, Emir still looks and plays like a clueless youngster at the age of 25. he should have already jumped to the next level by now, since he hasn't it is more likely that he will stay as "ex-next Bodiroga"
so, I don't see why I should be optimistic.
but yes, a win would be great.

inefeswetrust
09-05-2013, 12:18 PM
12 talented individuals

i laughed so hard

Deschain
09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Ender should immidiately step up as the starting point guard. and he should play 30 mins until either hedo or emir gets well and play like someone who can direct the offense.

Buzissa
09-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Melli is dominating the Turkish bigs.
Italy is the most exciting team in this tournament so far. Solid execution on offense, lots of pick&roll, good ball movement, plenty of shooters and creative players.

BrutalDlx
09-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Horrible team D by Turkey atm. 3 easy layups in a row by Italy (2 of them +1) in a 5 on 5 situation, without even having to move the ball.

They really need to step it up...

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I don't know how people calculate quality but in my opinion Italy has got more

Adon
09-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Belinelli is on fire. Probably, we are witnessing another defeat of the Turkish team.

Darknemo2000
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Turkey kind of remind of Lithuania. Seems like a decent team but lack of quality playmaking makes team disjointed and struggling.

PowerForward
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
What about Melli's extra performances 12 pts 7 reb at first half.

Anyway, If we don't play with Asik, we can't defence. We can't play without pivot Tanjevic, aren't you understand ?

Darknemo2000
09-05-2013, 04:36 PM
What about Melli's extra performances 12 pts 7 reb at first half.

Anyway, If we don't play with Asik, we can't defence. We can't play without pivot Tanjevic, aren't you understand ?

You have Turkoglue who has a special skill that makes his team sink twice as fast with him on the court.

PowerForward
09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I think he is warned by Tanjevic after yesterday's performance. He is passing his teammate only, but whenever he uses the ball we sink again, I agree with you

Adon
09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
You have Turkoglue who has a special skill that makes his team sink twice as fast with him on the court.

Talented on sinking. Although he gets a lot of help.

.................................................. ......................................

It seems that Italy was underrated before the tournament. The same stands for Serbia too.

Darknemo2000
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Asik is the only guy fighting for Turkey.

pata
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
12 miserable men

kick these idiots out of tournament

keratexas
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
why Tanjevic insist playing zone defence??

adamosmaki
09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Italy despite all the people missing looks like a solid team that is a joy to watch and can make it to quarterfinals and who knows they might surprise everyone to go even further than that

Deschain
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Belinelli is on fire. Probably, we are witnessing another defeat of the Turkish team.

welcome back. heheh.

---

can Italy score 100?

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
The Turkish national basketball team used to belong to Turks like me and not to the mountain peasants, a few things have happened over the last few years that have driven me away from this team. I've never cared so little about a loss, in fact I don't think I even care. And as long as some brown nose and his brown noses don't get fired and the federation doesn't get cleaned up, I won't care. Please Italy, beat these retards by 40. Please Greece, beat these retards by 60.

english please
JPF

Deschain
09-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't know how people calculate quality but in my opinion Italy has got more

True words. We have some players that complement roles on some teams.
Can we name a reliable offensive Turkish player these days?

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 05:10 PM
True words. We have some players that complement roles on some teams.
Can we name a reliable offensive Turkish player these days?

Cenk Akyol :rolleyes:

inefeswetrust
09-05-2013, 05:11 PM
It seems that Italy was underrated before the tournament.

nope, apparently turkey was overrated.. outside of turkey. noone in turkey expected much from this team, we all knew that this team couldn't do jack in the tournament. no real pg, no youngsters, aged "stars", bad coaching, stupid federation, government influence at squad selection(which is the worst thing among all).. seems that rest of europe was too optimist about turkish nt.

Adon
09-05-2013, 05:14 PM
welcome back. heheh.

Thx Deschain. It's nice to see again familiar "faces" (avatars).

Darknemo2000
09-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Why Turkoglue is so bad at FT? He isnt young and all but shouldnt he hit FT's at least?

pimpekaustas
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
i would say like us problem is balkan mentality but than i remember serbia and greece are also from balkan :rolleyes:

Deschain
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Cenk Akyol :rolleyes:

This made me smile ironically.
Not because the possible government involvement, but because Cenk Akyol is the first one we speak of :D

authocratic management, corruption, status quo and idiocracy.

--
But I have another theory.
We cannot beat Italy because their team shirt is pretty cool.

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 05:24 PM
This made me smile ironically.
Not because the possible government involvement, but because Cenk Akyol is the first one we speak of :D

authocratic management, corruption, status quo and idiocracy.

--
But I have another theory.
We cannot beat Italy because their team shirt is pretty cool.

LOL, who would have thought? The best Turkish player right now is Furkan Aldemir though. Ilyasova has always been inconsistent, Asik is not a leader but a preserver and sad to say, Hedo's batteries have run out. This team is full of overrated players, sand the saddest thing is that they overrate themselves the most. We cannot beat Italy because they are MEN.

Dreamcatcher
09-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Turkey seems is unprepared to the tournament. Majority of players are not fighting. You'd better brought some young players. Who knows, maybe if Italy would broght Bargnani and Gallinari they wouldn't look like this and maybe it would be even much worse than this.

inefeswetrust
09-05-2013, 05:29 PM
We cannot beat Italy because they are MEN.

well, that was too sexist :D

SaliH
09-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Today I trained earlier because I wanted to watch our guys in 18:45. I was ready by 18:40 but then thought why should I get nervous watching them? Looks like I made a good decision. :D

The f*ck, I'm dieing slowly from inside by just reading your comments.

Deschain
09-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Thx Deschain. It's nice to see again familiar "faces" (avatars).

Changed yesterday while seeing the ger-fra game. I like Heiko :)

--

By the way, Italy is quite likeable. didn't see any of their prep games, but they are taking the most of what they have.

--

Another note about this turkish squad is, they don't do their homework.
The defensive schemes and strategies are only centered around the players that are most hyped or have scored a lot on recent games.

Datome had 0 points today while Aradori and Gentile had 20+ Melli had at least 12. This is unexplainable. It either shows that you are not taking it serious or you have plain intelligence deficiencies.

So many open shots. You have the feeling that Turkish defense is going to collapse eventually if the opposition is patient enough.
Hustling is another issue. Offensive rebounds, 50-50 balls...

Turkish PnR game is so predictable. Handlers are not very good passers.
They always try to hurry and end up with turnovers or leg-balls, with a ratio of 10% pass connects. This is a very bad way to work your offense especially when the other 3 players are not doing anything. Actually this is what you get if your best PnR handler is Arslan. (This is 180 degrees opposite of Greek style of pick and roll which handler waits and forces until he has his tunnel. Watch Spanoulis & DD closely as they evaluate every single possible option while still threating to score by themselves)

Actually, the team is not worth serious comments.
Something has to change. Starting with our lovely prime minister.

Deschain
09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
LOL, who would have thought? The best Turkish player right now is Furkan Aldemir though. Ilyasova has always been inconsistent, Asik is not a leader but a preserver and sad to say, Hedo's batteries have run out. This team is full of overrated players, sand the saddest thing is that they overrate themselves the most. We cannot beat Italy because they are MEN.

I'd still bet money on Serkan Erdoğan :D, or even Ibo.
I think we still need to wait like 30 years for something solid.
Even that is suspicious. We don't learn, or care at least.

Hepcat
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
There's no way I expected the Turks to lose their first two games by such scores. I thought Turkey was a good bet to make the quarterfinals.

:confused:

Joško Poljak Fan
09-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Turkish backcourt failed once again and instead of reigning on court with size, Turkey again got beaten by mobility, spacing and individual 1 on 1 input by Italian guards. It looked much easier for Italians than I've expected. Papa Gentile must be proud

CG
09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
nope, apparently turkey was overrated.. outside of turkey. noone in turkey expected much from this team, we all knew that this team couldn't do jack in the tournament. no real pg, no youngsters, aged "stars", bad coaching, stupid federation, government influence at squad selection(which is the worst thing among all).. seems that rest of europe was too optimist about turkish nt.
What do you mean government influence?i think umut said the same..

Srle
09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
No FIBA help no success for Turkey.

CG
09-05-2013, 06:03 PM
I think what oly did and serbia in this competition must be a guide of what turkey must also do.
You need some fresh guys.to rebuild the team.from the scratch.
In my opinion turkoglu must retire from the NT.i have nothing against him but i cant remember when had a stable performance for at least 2 games.not extraordinary.not a star perf. Just a stable.along him you have some other guys which dont deserve to be there.
You have develop some decent young guys.its time to bring them in front.
Italy today and some other teams are proving that you dont need flair to be the best just a good chemistry and a tough team (mentality) to procede.or to fight at least untill the end.
This turkey lacks am afraid

Srle
09-05-2013, 06:05 PM
They lack talent as well. Especially on guard positions.

Perseus
09-05-2013, 06:08 PM
they were so tired ,Iliasova and Hedo were like played 3 games in the row,very bad defense too .

Deschain
09-05-2013, 06:09 PM

During the anti-government protests in june,
Cenk Akyol, performed well whole season, after the championship game, refused to speak to the NTV and pushed away their microphone. Supporting the protests and protesting the media for not really broadcasting the events and spreading some false news. (Mainstream media and especially NTV whom were regarded as the westerner face of Turkey, so this is also a reaction to confusion and dissappointment)
NTV, by the way is owned by Doğuş Group (Who are launching a basketball program with Darüşşafaka) that is a pro government corporation that came into bloom in during the reign of this government.
They also own Garanti Bank which is the main sponsor of the NT.

+ Federation is also pro-government.
Also, Tanjevic is pro-federation
Hedo is both pro-government and pro-federation.

So, we are practically fucked :)

tiro1
09-05-2013, 06:11 PM
The Italians shot 57.9% for 3p FG and 53.2% for 2p FG. That says a lot for the Turkish defence. Probably some mentality issues and maybe low stamina. I dont know about the prep period but the team now looks out of strength. Italy looks smooth. I wanna see them become first tier team again.

inefeswetrust
09-05-2013, 06:18 PM

cenk akyol protested ntv channel(indirectly the government) and threw the microphone during the gezi protests. after 2 weeks, it turned out that he was not in the squad. nt staff and federation members told that it was not because of his actions but his recent performance, no-one bought that ofc.

bukefalos
09-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Here is well-performed Cenk Akyol's stats,

regular season
9,8pt 2,6reb 1,35asist

playoff
7,4pt 2,4reb 0,4asist

Both ömer onan and serhat cetin have the same or better statistics than Cenk Akyol. He would be useless as any player if he had called for NT.

and he is not the only one who supports protests. For instance, Sinan güler supports protests publicly in social media. So ?

He is playing in Eurobasket with his all talentlessness
god bless us

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 06:54 PM

regular season
9,8pt 2,6reb 1,35asist

playoff
7,4pt 2,4reb 0,4asist

Both ömer onan and serhat cetin have the same or better statistics than Cenk Akyol. He would be useless as any player if he had called for NT.

and he is not the only one who supports protests. For instance, Sinan güler supports protests publicly in social media. So ?

god bless us

Hard numbers are nothing but context in this example and miss the very essential core of the problem.
I haven't seen Sinan protest and whatever the case, he hasn't done it on a national level.
There is no rational explanation for Cenk not being with the team. Have you seen the games? Does it seem like they could have used him very very much?

Deschain
09-05-2013, 06:55 PM

regular season
9,8pt 2,6reb 1,35asist

playoff
7,4pt 2,4reb 0,4asist

god bless us

I agree with you on his "good-performance" and questioned how good is a good cenk akyol in my previous posts. But he shot behind the arc well, (probably better than any other in the current team) and the team desperately needs a spot-up shooter. Besides, he produced those stats in the league champions where he was not one of the first options on offense (Onan and Çetin had more priority in their respective teams)
I think the staff was not really willing to get him anyway. The NTV incident was the icing on the cake.
The staff also did not attend his wedding, neither anyone from the federation.

I don't like Cenk Akyol. But the issue is more complicated than it seems, especially considering the turmoil surrounding the current guard selection.

On the other hand Sinan has been very subtle about his support on twitter. Nothing outloud. He always portrayed an activist or let's say... a sensitive personality.
Cenk, on the other hand has not really been praised for his fighting spirit or great personality. he generally gets accused of not having a work ethic or simply being a jerk.

bukefalos
09-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Hard numbers are nothing but context in this example and miss the very essential core of the problem.
I haven't seen Sinan protest and whatever the case, he hasn't done it on a national level.
There is no rational explanation for Cenk not being with the team. Have you seen the games? Does it seem like they could have used him very very much?

We couldnt use ersan or ömer or hidayet so far
but you believe we could have used cenk ''magic'' akyol very well. Thats bullshit.

Is there no rational explanation ? :)
He is mediocre player, he is not better player than cetin or onan.. This is enough for me

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
We couldnt use ersan or ömer or hidayet so far
but you believe we could have used cenk ''magic'' akyol very well. Thats bullshit.

Is there no rational explanation ? :)
He is mediocre player, he is not better player than cetin or onan.. This is enough for me

He is better than Onan and Cetin because you know what he will give you every game, he plays in a system very well (as shown this year, but okay scratch this since Turkey doesn't have a system) and he shoots the three way better than those two. Cetin is absolutely horrible, he has never impressed me even once, he shoots like 3,4% from the three and he keeps doing dumb shit. If Turkey attempted to have a system, just like Italy has for example, Akyol could have been a great part of that.

bukefalos
09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
He is better than Onan and Cetin because you know what he will give you every game, he plays in a system very well (as shown this year, but okay scratch this since Turkey doesn't have a system) and he shoots the three way better than those two. Cetin is absolutely horrible, he has never impressed me even once, he shoots like 3,4% from the three and he keeps doing dumb shit. If Turkey attempted to have a system, just like Italy has for example, Akyol could have been a great part of that.

Cetin is absolutely terrible in 3pt% ?

cetin: 46,9
akyol: 47,6

What do you mean ''attempting to have a system like italy'' ?
I hope you dont compare aradori or gentile with these unskilled ''youth legend''

Aradori is averaging 15ppg in euroleague while Akyol is usually shaking towel for bench

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Cetin is absolutely terrible in 3pt% ?

cetin: 46,9
akyol: 47,6

What do you mean ''attempting to have a system like italy'' ?
I hope you dont compare aradori or gentile with these unskilled ''youth legend''

Aradori is averaging 15ppg in euroleague while cenk is usually shaking towel for bench

46,9 %??? I can't believe my eyes, I've never seem him have a good shooting night. I guess he rocked those numbers against teams like Erdemir. You've misread my post, I meant to say that Turkey doesn't have a system, and even if they tried to have one, like Italy HAS.. I stand by my words, those two players can't compare to Cenk. Whatever his past is is irrelevant to me, he's flourished this year and is in the form of his life, that is the only thing that counts. We will see who plays better next season, Cenk or Serhat.

Akyol and Aradori aren't really comparable in playing styles, Cenk is more of a shooting role player, Aradori also gets physical and has a leading presence. Italy is more skilled than Turkey and I've said that earlier in this thread. But in this discussion it's only about Turkey and how they can reach the maximum potential, and I stand by my words that Cenk would have had a good impact, without a shred of doubt a bigger one than Serhat Cetin has.

We shouldn't close our eyes to the fact that Turkey just lacks the (top) talent too, even though all the different failures, both in technical as in organisational aspects, have only turned things to the worst.

Joško Poljak Fan
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Aradori is averaging 15ppg in euroleague while Akyol is usually shaking towel for bench
...and what I'm constantly saying is that Akyol wouldn't have to do that. It would only take a bit wiser long-term oriented management, that would jump on the F4 right away from skratch filling club rosters with either veteran average Turks or hiper-paid foreigners, but giving a chance to a home raised kid that isn't yet on the level to perform, but will get there shortly if some trust is invested in him. It didn't take Arslan more than sth. like 20 minutes per game and not even a status of first PG in Olimpija as well as only half of a season for Efes (I think it was them) to realise he can actualy play on euroleague level and be usefull. I wonder if he ever received that chance if it wasn't for his decision to get to Ljubljana just to get a chance. To my opinion Balbay is the perfect example of a player that only needs a season of a chance and Akyol is the perfect example of a good talent, that got wasted on the bench in the time when for example some Domen Lorbek or some randomly less talented player was receiving a chance at high level.

In my opinion it's not the sole issue, but Turkish backcourt is partly also hurting due to that impatience in the clubs as young guard talent repeatedly gets neglected and stagnates compared to some other countries.

boyd20
09-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Damn, I thought we couldn't snatch a win without getting points from Datome and with Cusin early in foul trouble. LOL.
Tonight Gigi went even scoreless (!!) and Cusin made his second foul after just a couple of minutes and it happened to be a comfortable win.
Turkey has to be blamed, definitely, but I loved the dedication and the attitude displayed by our guys, it seems that our remaining stars (Belinelli, Datome, Diener) are very focused and motivated and willing to share their duties with the other guys. It's very important that we're finding consistency from most of the others, Melli, Aradori and Gentile were great tonight, I hope they finally realize how much ridiculously talented they are, it's mostly a matter of mental strength.
Sky's the limit for Gentile if he learns how to keep his cool and improves his outside shot which needs to be a bit more arched.

surfer
09-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I'd like to dedicate this number to my NT, just replace all "England"s with "Turkey"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gO0Z818j4

madmax
09-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Damn, I thought we couldn't snatch a win without getting points from Datome and with Cusin early in foul trouble. LOL.
Tonight Gigi went even scoreless (!!) and Cusin made his second foul after just a couple of minutes and it happened to be a comfortable win.
Turkey has to be blamed, definitely, but I loved the dedication and the attitude displayed by our guys, it seems that our remaining stars (Belinelli, Datome, Diener) are very focused and motivated and willing to share their duties with the other guys. It's very important that we're finding consistency from most of the others, Melli, Aradori and Gentile were great tonight, I hope they finally realize how much ridiculously talented they are, it's mostly a matter of mental strength.
Sky's the limit for Gentile if he learns how to keep his cool and improves his outside shot which needs to be a bit more arched.

yup, you guys have the most talented young backcourt in Europe in my opinion.
If only you managed to raise some competent and talented bigs too, you would be on the level of Spain, if not better. I still remember how you fellas beat the most talented lithuanian team ever (2004 Olympics) and went on to the Olympic final - the threes were raining like mad that day:p Hopefully some day you'll reach similar level again

Edwood
09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
i laughed so hard

I already explained the way I meant it though. :)

Before the beginning of the tournament, I never thought that Turkey could go all the way. In my predictions I thought 9-12, maybe 5-8 with a bit of luck. But I certainly believed that they had better players than Italy or Finland. And I honestly think that most of the people shared the same belief.

Italian Pride
09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
i'm definitely proud of these guys :o

i'm so happy for our younger players melli and gentile...

above all for melli,he is playing very well like C,but he is a natural PF,I hope he is realizing the great talent that has...:D

Italian Pride
09-06-2013, 12:16 PM
If only you managed to raise some competent and talented bigs too, you would be on the level of Spain,

bargnani,gallinari,polonara (the best under 22 in the last season in italy),cervi born '91 a 2.15 tall very promising as intimidator, but to build on offense,tessitori a '94 born that the next year will play the first time in the first italian division,maybe the best big guy for the future a 4/5 of 2.08 with very good offensive skills and great fighter(a sort of italian felipe reyes) ...

Levenspiel
09-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Nah, in the times of anger, we all make some hasty conclusions I think.

Team selection might not be optimal, we really have glaring weaknesses even on paper, but we do have talented players. At least enough talent to have a decent tournament. The immediate cause is we are terribly underperforming. While disclosure of root cause requires some deep analysis, which I'm not personally capable of...

In my opinion, Cenk Akyol would not help this team, either. He had been a part of this NT so long, he had so many chances to prove himself that I myself have given up on him. His overt political stance was nice, and I liked him more as a person, but really, Cenk is not a player that can help you at high level. As a country we simply do not have any quality SG or SF, anyway.

We can only hope for miracles from now on. I believe we can beat Sweden! :)

boyd20
09-06-2013, 02:04 PM
If only you managed to raise some competent and talented bigs too, you would be on the level of Spain, if not better. I still remember how you fellas beat the most talented lithuanian team ever (2004 Olympics) and went on to the Olympic final - the threes were raining like mad that day:p Hopefully some day you'll reach similar level again

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Well, backcourt has always been the real strength of Italy, it looks like it will be the same this time despite the loss of Hackett who is in my opinion our best (or at least the more complete) guard. Best news for us is team chemistry and attitude, nice to see talented but often selfish players like Belinelli and Gentile fighting and hustling on the court, it seems all of our guys are going in the same direction.
Let's just hope they can make this last, it would be a shame if they relax and underrate Finland (which is a good team for sure) tomorrow, but I don't think this will happen, I'm more confident now.

Polonara should be a lock at the PF position for the years to come, we also got some nice youngsters in there like Abass, Landi or Lombardi, although I'm not sure they will all turn into NT players. Unfortunately I don't see dominant inside big men, unless Riccardo Cervi manages to become something more than just a shotblocking machine, as for now he can't really play as he should. Amedeo Tessitori could be the only one, but I have to say he looks good and promising, so I cross my fingers...

Italian Pride
09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Who knows, maybe if Italy would broght Bargnani and Gallinari they wouldn't look like this and maybe it would be even much worse than this.

well,so lituania without kalnietis,kleiza and valanciunas would be a better team?

UMUT_FB_LAL
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I am Pietro fucking Aradori

Toxicity
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I am Pietro fucking Aradori

Pietro aka "The Shark" (nick given to him by a TV opinionist and basketball coach, Stefano Michelini)... :D