PDA

View Full Version : QF Game 4: Korea (2) vs. Qatar (3)

sinobball
08-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Aug 9 22:30

This game is, in my opinion, the most unpredictable QF game. Korea would most likely blow this one open, but an upset is not inconceivable if Qatar get's really hot from outside and outrebounds Korea, which they are able to do.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Yoo Jae-Hak stated that the game against Iran and Kazakhstan serves as a preview on what they can expect against Qatar. Yoo stated that their front-court depth will be tested.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Yoo Jae-Hak stated that forwards Yoon Ho-Young and Choi Joon-Young will alternate against former NBA forward Jarvis Hayes.

Yoon may not be able to contain Hayes while Choi is far too inexperienced to contain Hayes. It spells trouble in the wings. Knowing Korea, they will designate a strong buffer whichever point Hayes will be receiving the ball.

sinobball
08-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Yoo Jae-Hak stated that forwards Yoon Ho-Young and Choi Joon-Young will alternate against former NBA forward Jarvis Hayes.

Yoon may not be able to contain Hayes while Choi is far too inexperienced to contain Hayes. It spells trouble in the wings. Knowing Korea, they will designate a strong buffer whichever point Hayes will be receiving the ball.Hayes is not very fast any more, so speed-wise I can see Choi containing him. But Hayes is also a veteran and likely will draw a lot of fouls against the youngster.

I predict Korea will press a lot and hope for fast break opportunities, since Qatar is pretty mediocre at taking care of the ball. If Korea is able to build a comfortable lead early, I don't think Qatar has any chance especially since they are a very old team and lack energy. How come "Qatari-Somali Bonzi" Saad Abdulrahman Ali a.k.a. Saeed Kosar never plays any more, saw him at the bench, he's not supposed to be that old.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 02:16 AM
Hayes is not very fast any more, so speed-wise I can see Choi containing him. But Hayes is also a veteran and likely will draw a lot of fouls against the youngster.

I predict Korea will press a lot and hope for fast break opportunities, since Qatar is pretty mediocre at taking care of the ball. If Korea is able to build a comfortable lead early, I don't think Qatar has any chance especially since they are a very old team and lack energy. How come "Qatari-Somali Bonzi" Saad Abdulrahman Ali a.k.a. Saeed Kosar never plays any more, saw him at the bench, he's not supposed to be that old.

I think that the closest simulation for Hayes was the game against Iran and Bahrami where Korea could not contain the latter so that counts as experience for the coach and the players.

I think you're right. Korea will implement that disruptive full-court press to somewhat impede Qatar's offense. Rebounding wise, Korea's front-court is due for some rough game ahead.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Yoo Jae-Hak for the past three games started this with this unit:

Kim Jong-Kyu
Kim Joo-Sung
Yoon Ho-Young
Cho Sung-Min
Yang Dong-Geun

Perhaps that will also be the starters for the game against Qatar. Yang and Cho has been connecting with their three pointers. Second unit consists of putting Lee Jong-Hyun and Lee Seung-Jun to replenish the front-court.

lakers4sho
08-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Man, Qatar hoists a lot of threes for a team that is supposedly relatively more athletic.

interxavierxxx
08-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I think that the closest simulation for Hayes was the game against Iran and Bahrami where Korea could not contain the latter so that counts as experience for the coach and the players.

I think you're right. Korea will implement that disruptive full-court press to somewhat impede Qatar's offense. Rebounding wise, Korea's front-court is due for some rough game ahead.

Full-court press has always been a nightmare for Qatar as they usually lack a reliable ball handler. I remember in the 2006 WC how every team used the same technique (full-court press) to beat them by huge margins.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Full-court press has always been a nightmare for Qatar as they usually lack a reliable ball handler. I remember in the 2006 WC how every team used the same technique (full-court press) to beat them by huge margins.

I certainly can picture Korea implementing the full court press using the crack rotation of Yang Dong-Geun, Cho Sung-Min, Kim Tae-Sol, Moon Seung-Gon and Kim Min-Goo against Qatar's back-court. Yoo Jae-Hak could be hoping that impeding Qatar's pace and hindering them from posting up will help Korea's bigmen from racking up fouls or being picked apart inside.

interxavierxxx
08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I certainly can picture Korea implementing the full court press using the crack rotation of Yang Dong-Geun, Cho Sung-Min, Kim Tae-Sol, Moon Seung-Gon and Kim Min-Goo against Qatar's back-court. Yoo Jae-Hak could be hoping that impeding Qatar's pace and hindering them from posting up will help Korea's bigmen from racking up fouls or being picked apart inside.

I have the same opinion. Qatar has not been shooting well in this tournament even when they get open looks. If they shoot poorly, then it's a sure loss given that Korea's zone defense is very good in shutting down the opposition's inside attacks. Jarvis Hayes, as usual, will be their go-to guy. Any chances Lee Sung-Jun can slide to SF and defend him?

CKR13
08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I have the same opinion. Qatar has not been shooting well in this tournament even when they get open looks. If they shoot poorly, then it's a sure loss given that Korea's zone defense is very good in shutting down the opposition's inside attacks. Jarvis Hayes, as usual, will be their go-to guy. Any chances Lee Sung-Jun can slide to SF and defend him?

Maybe Lee SJ could guard a bit of Hayes when Yoon HY and Choi JY rack up foul troubles. Could be worth it as Lee has the physique to absorb contact from Hayes while options like Moon SG and Kim MG are far too inexperienced and light-weight to guard a veteran like Hayes.

lbj_19
08-08-2013, 12:13 PM
I think Korea would implement their trapping defense as early as the starting buzzer here. If thye can be effective with their trapping defense they will be able to control this game early. Otherwise I think they should try and use 3 bigs in there with Lee Sj at the 5 and Kim Jk at the 4 and Kim Js at the 3 to defend Hayes. I see Kim Js as a Andrei Kirilenko type defender with his wingspan but light built.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 12:40 PM
I think Korea would implement their trapping defense as early as the starting buzzer here. If thye can be effective with their trapping defense they will be able to control this game early. Otherwise I think they should try and use 3 bigs in there with Lee Sj at the 5 and Kim Jk at the 4 and Kim Js at the 3 to defend Hayes. I see Kim Js as a Andrei Kirilenko type defender with his wingspan but light built.

Yes, Korea implements an aggressive half-court press that progresses into a 1-2-2 trapping press for this tourney. They implemented that I notice against formidable teams like China, Iran, Kazakhstan and India compared to the lesser teams. Yoo Jae-Hak starts with Kim Jong-Kyu, Kim Joo-Sung and Yoon Ho-Young while Lee Jong-Hyun and Lee Seung-Jun are off the bench to relieve someone in the middle.

Yoo Jae-Hak stated that Yoon Ho-Young and Choi Joon-Young will alternate with Jarvis Hayes for their initial gameplan. But if Hayes could prove troublesome, they may double him or if both defenders rack up foul, Lee Seung-Jun could be inserted at the wing as Kim JS is no longer mobile compared to his younger years where he can guard wing players.

lbj_19
08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes, Korea implements an aggressive half-court press that progresses into a 1-2-2 trapping press for this tourney. They implemented that I notice against formidable teams like China, Iran, Kazakhstan and India compared to the lesser teams. Yoo Jae-Hak starts with Kim Jong-Kyu, Kim Joo-Sung and Yoon Ho-Young while Lee Jong-Hyun and Lee Seung-Jun are off the bench to relieve someone in the middle.

Yoo Jae-Hak stated that Yoon Ho-Young and Choi Joon-Young will alternate with Jarvis Hayes for their initial gameplan. But if Hayes could prove troublesome, they may double him or if both defenders rack up foul, Lee Seung-Jun could be inserted at the wing as Kim JS is no longer mobile compared to his younger years where he can guard wing players.

Honestly from the looks of things Yoon and Choi cannot do the job. Lee SJ i feel would be a tad slower in terms of quickness. Hayes is not fast, but is quick and wity. Kim JS would still be my choice if I was Yoo JH. He is still mobile enough to take on Hayes and would be much longer than Hayes. If it was Bahrami I would admit that Kim JS wouldn't be as effective.

CKR13
08-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Honestly from the looks of things Yoon and Choi cannot do the job. Lee SJ i feel would be a tad slower in terms of quickness. Hayes is not fast, but is quick and wity. Kim JS would still be my choice if I was Yoo JH. He is still mobile enough to take on Hayes and would be much longer than Hayes. If it was Bahrami I would admit that Kim JS wouldn't be as effective.

I don't know if Yoo Jae-Hak would assign Kim Joo-Sung to a wing scorer as that would weaken and compromise the Korean interior defense. Kim JS is partnered with Kim Jong-Kyu up front. Kim JS is for the shot-blocking and a last line of defense against wing scorers. Same goes for the second unit of Lee Seung-Jun and Lee Jong-Hyun as the latter is the shot-blocker / last line of defense.

I think Yoo would play the how fare risk of matching up his wingmen first then use double teams or align the strong side buffer whichever Hayes will be pointing.

Baller4Lyf
08-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Qatar is on a high right now after beating erstwhile unbeaten Chinese Taipei.
While CT and Korea may appear similar on giving premium on outside shooting, the difference lies in that Korea do not only rely on the rainbow territory and can be deadly in the inside game or medium range game. Korea has players who can also grind it inside as well. Qatar caught CT in its worst shooting game and still only beat them only by 3 points.

So, I'm guessing Korea by 10-15 points on this one...

CKR13
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Yoo Jae-Hak looks nervous. He is sweating even before the game starts... If only Oh Se-Keun was here.

interxavierxxx
08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Yoo Jae-Hak looks nervous. He is sweating even before the game starts... If only Oh Se-Keun was here.

I'm impressed with Korea's new big men, particularly Kim Jong-Kyu. As he is still young, I wasn't expecting him to perform as well as Oh Se-Keun. They have a bright future with these young big men. Is he likely to be the replacement for Kim Joo-Sung?

CKR13
08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm impressed with Korea's new big men, particularly Kim Jong-Kyu. As he is still young, I wasn't expecting him to perform as well as Oh Se-Keun. They have a bright future with these young big men. Is he likely to be the replacement for Kim Joo-Sung?

Most likely Oh Se-Keun, Lee Seung Hyun or Kang Sang-Jae will replace Joo-Sung. Oh is already a legend half-way in his career.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Yang Dong-Geun two quick fouls. Kim Tae-Sol is in.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM
So far, 3 QF, 3 large wins. Let's hope this one offers suspense till the final minutes.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Korea too concerned in defending the paint with a 3-2 zone and Qatar is making treys.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I can't believe that Kim Jong-Kyu is contributing to a physical game. Two dunks so far.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Jarvis is nonexistent today. Draft 2003 #10 pick they say...

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Elhadary is a pain in the neck for his team.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Hayes is hurt. Tsk...

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Hayes is hurt. Tsk...

suspense likely dead if so.

kang2
08-09-2013, 03:41 PM
korea - qatar live stream_ http:// kimchitv.blogspot.com

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
So far, 3 QF, 3 large wins. Let's hope this one offers suspense till the final minutes.
It seems like a Large win Again

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
All turns of event are in favour of Korea. Technical fouls, near-buzzer shots, injury, etc.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Yoo Jae-Hak now trusts Kim Min-Goo and the latter responded with a good all around game.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
It seems like a Large win Again

Yes, very disappointing Asiabasket in this respect so far. Happily, all most entertaining teams are here.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Saeed is down too.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Now, who knows what would have happened if that first unfair technical hadn't been given to Wisman after a noncalled walk by Korea? This was a 6-point jump (invalid layup + FTs +2 pt after) that propelled Korea by +10 in the critical first moments on the game... Korea looks much stronger but who knows...

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Another injury for Qatar, WTH

CKR13
08-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Painful game to watch for Qatar. Crucial calls early favored Korea and two players lost on injuries.

DJMax_06
08-09-2013, 04:08 PM
referees sucks tonight...the players performance should decide the game not the refs.,however!.injuries break the game..

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
referees sucks tonight...the players performance should decide the game not the refs.,however!.injuries break the game..

I think the refs are somewhat sleepy. There are 3 or more fouls that should have been called in the 1st half.
It seems like Qatar is destined to loose today. Bad calls, No calls, players getting prostrated, and then there's that injuries of their players.

lbj_19
08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Lets give credit to Korea guys, i think Korea is a top 3 defensive team in the tourney. Very vaunted set defenses. 1-3-1 zone, which they only showed in the past 3 games, is very hard to breakdown when played properly and they are effective in using it since they have very fast and quick wings and guards plus the long arms of Kim JS, infact all of them are very pesky and the key to that zone defense is everyone is moving constantly. They forced a lot of TO.

As I said before I would've played China over Korea with the way both teams were playing. This is a very good and disciplined Korean team. Props to their coaching staff.

It will be very tough for Gilas if they cannot breakdown that 1-3-1 zone.

Rico101
08-09-2013, 04:40 PM
korea is tough. maybe ckr 13 could give us some insights, their strengths and weaknesses

CKR13
08-09-2013, 04:49 PM
korea is tough. maybe ckr 13 could give us some insights, their strengths and weaknesses

Transition defense has always been their weakness, something that the Philippines will have an advantage, given their quickness on the break.

Let's continue the discussion here guys: http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?24356-Semi-Final-Game-Philippines-vs-South-Korea :D