PDA

View Full Version : QF Game 3: Philippines (1) vs. Kazakhstan (4)

sinobball
08-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Aug 9 20:30

Jerry Johnson had a muscle tear and didn't play against Iran, but could come back in this game. Mikhail Yevstigneyev and Konstantin Dvirny also were injured, not too sure to what extent. Since they typically get 2-4 players fouled out per game, missing so many other players doesn't bode well for their chances, especially since the officials won't be on their side.

reamily
08-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Kazakhstan has a solid core.. it is just that coach Bonciolli's style requires all 12 players to be competitive..

They have a deep pool of players from what I searched it is really Astana Tigers that they were sending.. Gavrilov and other big guys might help Ponomarev, Yevstigneyev ease some pressure as Zhigulin and Bordanovich is not solid enough to take Kazakhstan to the next level.. Anatoly Bose is Australian so..

CKR13
08-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I never got to watch their exhibition game prior to the tournament. Philippines won, but they held back. I don't know if Kazakhstan held back in that game too. I can see this as a very physical game.

reamily
08-08-2013, 12:42 AM
I never got to watch their exhibition game prior to the tournament. Philippines won, but they held back. I don't know if Kazakhstan held back in that game too. I can see this as a very physical game.

Kazakhstan tried but with the young team they have especiallly the bench .. the young guys tried to get the rhytym in that ballgame..

Philippines is a strong team eversince Douthit came.. I thought the home crowd would make them an emotional and tight in some stretches but after two games Philippines looks like a very strong, mo well oiled, machine in front of a rabid crowd

interxavierxxx
08-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Kazakhstan has a solid core.. it is just that coach Bonciolli's style requires all 12 players to be competitive..

They have a deep pool of players from what I searched it is really Astana Tigers that they were sending.. Gavrilov and other big guys might help Ponomarev, Yevstigneyev ease some pressure as Zhigulin and Bordanovich is not solid enough to take Kazakhstan to the next level.. Anatoly Bose is Australian so..

He's not in the team.

Spenz
08-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Without RDO Junemar needs to step up to fill up that gap in the rotation. Go Gilas!

reamily
08-08-2013, 02:15 AM
He's not in the team.

Yes Gavrilov would have been a big help as Yevsteniyev as we all know is slow and can't attract a double team to feed Ponomarev..guy has good mid range game also.. but does not play for Astana..also Anatoly Bose might be another core player for them but we all know he's australian lol

sinobball
08-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Who's Anatoly Bose? Is he one of the players?

reamily
08-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Who's Anatoly Bose? Is he one of the players?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoly_Bose

Phantim3dx
08-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Alright this is more of a rant on the Philippines NT form what I saw watching that game against China HK.

1. it's China HK, seriously why was it so difficult to overcome such a team
2. the strength of the Philippines is fast breaks/open run games/taking it to the hoop, why jack up 3's just because HK ids leading by 2-3 points in the 3rd quarter.<--this was by far my biggest pet peeve when I was watching it here on cctv5(BEIJING, CHINA)
let me explain more, it's the 3rd quarter and there's plenty of time left, why jack up bad shots just so you can tie the game or go up by one point, this was terrible decision making by the players and/or the coach. on the other side HK was seriously making some big and definitely tough 3's to keep them in the game.
3.the naturalized player marcu doulhit or however you spell his name is injured and just looks so fatigued as he tries to anchor the 5 spot and protect the paint; coach reyes better come up with a plan to cover this spot otherwise other teams are going to attack this weakness and it's going to be a big sore spot for the philippines nt. another thing about him is he needs to work on catching the ball being passed to him(not dumped to him) when players are slashing to the basket, i saw 3+ turnovers easily in the 4th quarter because someone was cutting into the basket, dragging their defensive player and the player guarding Marcus. yes i knwo the dude is tired and injured, so again there something that needs to be done for this part
4.the strength of the philippines nt is again 1v1 games, or lossely translated into spacing the court and drive to the hoop because no one can seem to shoot 3's and if they do it's jacking it out of desperation.<--hell even the chinese sports broadcasters even knew this. they kept talking about how the philippines strength is cutting to the basket because the backcourt players are some of the fastest, why not use this?!?!<--i was amazed china actually gave a compliment to the philippines team on national broadcast even with the political tensions, that's showing respect to your opponent.
5. de ocampo, really.. 2 fouls in what 1 minute during that 3rd quarter or 4th quarter stretch, and these are silly fouls. if you're going to foul not just him but any other player foul so it's well deserved don't give tacky fouls...
6. these guys look tired, just straight out tired..i have no idea what coach reyes rotation is whether he's got a 6 man rotation or 8 man rotation, but if the bench is thin in sub players that really worries me because it's only going to get tougher once everyone is in the one and done situation. just look at the end of the HK-PH game. norwood, williams, and everyone else on the court looked tired and just out of steam, against an HK team!? the one person who looked fresh and wanted more was alapag, this dude has got heart and grit, i like that.

a win is a win, but watching that game last night was horrible. if i was chot reyes i would not be happy with that win. hell my parent in laws(who are chinese) was watching it with me and asking why I wasn't happy, the philippines won bla bla blah (they are old school chinese so they are very pro china in everything, and indirectly even turned it into apolitical discussion about the philippines and america). i pretty much told them, there's more honor in losing a battle if you give it your all than having a pyrrhic victory<--okay i don't know how to exactly say that in chinse cuz its too deep, so i pretty much had my wife tell them what i meant.

i would've gone bobby knight or frank martin on those guys if i saw such sloppy play, absolutely sloppy. only guy who had heart and balls together was alapag, guy is tough!

MD125
08-08-2013, 03:47 AM
5. de ocampo, really.. 2 fouls in what 1 minute during that 3rd quarter or 4th quarter stretch, and these are silly fouls. if you're going to foul not just him but any other player foul so it's well deserved don't give tacky fouls... - the guy has an MCL injury. give him a break.

6. these guys look tired, just straight out tired.. - They were out of focus.
But yeah i hated how they played. But the best thing from this loss is that they managed to win on a very very bad game.

sinobball
08-08-2013, 04:11 AM
^ long rant! I watched the 2nd half (half-asleep) when HK was already out of sorts but one thing I noticed was that the Gilas team did not even try to get offensive rebounds. It's not like Duncan Reid was some kind of a rebounding machine, he really had no one challenging him on defensive boards. But it's probably because RP not taking the game seriously. I wonder how they'll fare in the rebounding department against the bruising big bodies of Kazkahstan.

MD125
08-08-2013, 04:43 AM
^ long rant! I watched the 2nd half (half-asleep) when HK was already out of sorts but one thing I noticed was that the Gilas team did not even try to get offensive rebounds. It's not like Duncan Reid was some kind of a rebounding machine, he really had no one challenging him on defensive boards. But it's probably because RP not taking the game seriously. I wonder how they'll fare in the rebounding department against the bruising big bodies of Kazkahstan.
Pretty different. may get outrebounded by a few. Some people dont realize that PBA is on the same level of physicality with FIBA play. No blood no foul type actually.

weward
08-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Appart from the MCL and ankle injuries of Ranidel De Ocampo, ankle injury of Jason Castro and Swollen Calf/Shin of Douthit, this is why Philippines played horribly against HK:
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/gilas-pilipinas-afternoon-activity-cheering-at-the-hotel-for-qatar-to-beat-chinese-taipei

Their mind was not on the game. Their minds are on the QF pairings already. Bad bad bad..

weward
08-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Pretty different. may get outrebounded by a few. Some people dont realize that PBA is on the same level of physicality with FIBA play. No blood no foul type actually.

it is not even on the same level. You see our players hold back on defending and were actually called for fouls all the time. lol
PBA is part wrestling and players are good at giving phantom hits. Even JR Sakuragi got mad at Pingris when Pingris 'hit' him. And that 'hit' is an ordinary phantom touch or bump in the PBA. Its fun to watch seeing a player outsmart another player in 'diskarte'(which made the audience comeback to PBA) and actually toughened the pba players but it also affects our players as they need to adjust to FIBA calls. When PBA was patterned to NBA(2000's to 2007), PBA players had a hard tme in FIBA physicality. Then it changed to a lot more than FIBA physicality, which was the trademark of PBA from its early days, after the new commissioner took over.

MD125
08-08-2013, 05:17 AM
it is not even on the same level. You see our players hold back on defending and were actually called for fouls all the time. lol
PBA is part wrestling and players are good at giving phantom hits. Even JR Sakuragi got mad at Pingris when Pingris 'hit' him. And that 'hit' is an ordinary phantom touch or bump in the PBA. Its fun to watch seeing a player outsmart another player in 'diskarte'(which made the audience comeback to PBA) and actually toughened the pba players but it also affects our players as they need to adjust to FIBA calls. When PBA was patterned to NBA(2000's to 2007), PBA players had a hard tme in FIBA physicality. Then it changed to a lot more than FIBA physicality, which was the trademark of PBA from its early days, after the new commissioner took over.
What more if Beau was there? hehehe
Kidding aside, a lot of people dont realize that we can be physical too. heck we have Pacquiao! hehehe

thatweirdguy
08-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Exciting game! The host country vs the greatest country in world!

lakers4sho
08-08-2013, 09:53 AM
cultural learnings of kazakhstan for make benefit glorious nation of philippine

very nice!

Cryotek
08-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Their mind was not on the game. Their minds are on the QF pairings already. Bad bad bad..

And they're over-confident...it seems at the back of their minds, they just want to win and relax afterwards!

lbj_19
08-08-2013, 12:43 PM
During the Hk game, Phil had a brain fart lol! Forgot to play basketball and just relaxed. Saw it in their facial expressions during shootaround. Unlike during games against good teams, you will notice their intense and focused looks.

My only worry in this game is the physicality of the Kazak team. Might make the Gilas think twice about its attacks. The Kazak team are physical but bordering dirty already. S that may get in their head. Another worry is Douthit's condition. Looked bad yday against HK. But if they play focused, this would be a win for Gilas. I think the tuneup was the Kazak's best game so far. Ponomarev looked like a Nowitzki during that game. Lol.

sickcurtain_16
08-08-2013, 01:55 PM

i like! very nice!

budz17
08-08-2013, 03:48 PM

cultural learnings of kazakhstan for make benefit glorious nation of philippine

very nice!

hahah, funny. got to watch that movie, until now I haven't seen it.

anyway, key would be douthit. if he's 80% we'll be good to go. with ranidel mcl injury, only ping left inside to support him. I don't know if japeth can hold his own. fajardo would be great if he can stay on the floor.

Butata
08-09-2013, 02:43 AM
It's getting clearer by the day that the Philippine NT is progressing on the most part due to the players and not the coach. The offense is very predictable, the rotations are atrocious yet the players are hanging on. Fajardo would have been useful here but since the coach did not integrate him earlier in the tournament, he has lost his confidence and appears like deadweight on the roster at this point. On hindsight, if this was the way he was going to be utilized, the veteran Belga may have been the better 12th man than Fajardo. Again, it's all on the coach.

Baller4Lyf
08-09-2013, 02:48 AM
I hope our country start well this time and not play catch-up like in previous games especially the last one against HK. Douthit should dominate in the paint, but with his injury the shooters like Chan, Fonacier and David (hope he explodes today) must compensate for it. The Kazakhs plays physical so this game will be a grind. In the end, i see the Philippines winning by a short margin.

lakers4sho
08-09-2013, 05:54 AM
It's getting clearer by the day that the Philippine NT is progressing on the most part due to the players and not the coach. The offense is very predictable, the rotations are atrocious yet the players are hanging on. Fajardo would have been useful here but since the coach did not integrate him earlier in the tournament, he has lost his confidence and appears like deadweight on the roster at this point. On hindsight, if this was the way he was going to be utilized, the veteran Belga may have been the better 12th man than Fajardo. Again, it's all on the coach.

The team is winning IN SPITE OF Reyes, not because of him. I don't even know where to start when explaining how bad he is. He is nothing but MVP's tool.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Congratulations to the Philippines as they advance to the semis. One thing though: What is the beef of the refs with Fajardo? They quickly call fouls on him... It is astonishing,

eekan
08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Congratulations to the Philippines as they advance to the semis. One thing though: What is the beef of the refs with Fajardo? They quickly call fouls on him... It is astonishing,

legend says he still get fouls from his sleep

Winterbeat
08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Averaging a measly 2.6 ppg coming in this game, Gary David finally showed why he's the PBA scoring champion for the past 3 seasons.

Baller4Lyf
08-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Gilas Pilipinas!! On to the SEMIS!!

Kryptheo
08-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Refs are adjusting as they've never seen a big Filipino like him before lol

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
IMO Kaz was among the 5 least gifted teams in this championship if we disregard Johnson.

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Probably Fajardo was caught eating the refs midnight snack. LOL

Douthit only used for limited minutes since he was wobbling in the game with his injury. Still Gilas manages to increase the lead so he was never used in the remaining minutes in the 3rd and the whole 4th quarter.

interxavierxxx
08-09-2013, 02:24 PM

It has nothing to do with the refs. Fajardo is simply inexperienced with international competitions.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
IMO Kaz was among the 5 least gifted teams in this championship if we disregard Johnson.

This is to remind my Pinoy friends to stay lucid and avoid getting carried away too much... We'll only find out what they are truly made of at the next stage.

digitalsuperman
08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

i really wonder too. seems like referees like to vent their ire on fajardo :D

ak1105
08-09-2013, 02:32 PM
This is to remind my Pinoy friends to stay lucid and avoid getting carried away too much... We'll only find out what they are truly made of at the next stage.

Nayyy..i believe that they are still in the top 8..but you are correct, next stage is tougher and we know that its not walk in the park..we are just happy that we entet semis and we need to work hard again..thanks for the reminder..

budz17
08-09-2013, 02:41 PM

tell us about it. everybody is making jokes about it already.

DJMax_06
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
i really wonder too. seems like referees like to vent their ire on fajardo :D

fajardo needs more exposure in international games..if he joined earlier, how bout last year in jones cup..he cud be the big fundamental..

kang2
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM

korea - qatar live stream_ http:// kimchitv.blogspot.com

mikemurni
08-09-2013, 04:50 PM
The team is winning IN SPITE OF Reyes, not because of him. I don't even know where to start when explaining how bad he is. He is nothing but MVP's tool.

Yeah I kinda agree with you there.. Its more like the individual talent of the players, and also their familiarity with the playing court and condition...

Well if Coach Chot managed to pull of a win tomorrow, he is goin' to look like a genius...Then so be it as long as we get the spot in the World Championships..

VII
08-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Alright this is more of a rant on the Philippines NT form what I saw watching that game against China HK.

1. it's China HK, seriously why was it so difficult to overcome such a team
2. the strength of the Philippines is fast breaks/open run games/taking it to the hoop, why jack up 3's just because HK ids leading by 2-3 points in the 3rd quarter.<--this was by far my biggest pet peeve when I was watching it here on cctv5(BEIJING, CHINA)
let me explain more, it's the 3rd quarter and there's plenty of time left, why jack up bad shots just so you can tie the game or go up by one point, this was terrible decision making by the players and/or the coach. on the other side HK was seriously making some big and definitely tough 3's to keep them in the game.
3.the naturalized player marcu doulhit or however you spell his name is injured and just looks so fatigued as he tries to anchor the 5 spot and protect the paint; coach reyes better come up with a plan to cover this spot otherwise other teams are going to attack this weakness and it's going to be a big sore spot for the philippines nt. another thing about him is he needs to work on catching the ball being passed to him(not dumped to him) when players are slashing to the basket, i saw 3+ turnovers easily in the 4th quarter because someone was cutting into the basket, dragging their defensive player and the player guarding Marcus. yes i knwo the dude is tired and injured, so again there something that needs to be done for this part
4.the strength of the philippines nt is again 1v1 games, or lossely translated into spacing the court and drive to the hoop because no one can seem to shoot 3's and if they do it's jacking it out of desperation.<--hell even the chinese sports broadcasters even knew this. they kept talking about how the philippines strength is cutting to the basket because the backcourt players are some of the fastest, why not use this?!?!<--i was amazed china actually gave a compliment to the philippines team on national broadcast even with the political tensions, that's showing respect to your opponent.
5. de ocampo, really.. 2 fouls in what 1 minute during that 3rd quarter or 4th quarter stretch, and these are silly fouls. if you're going to foul not just him but any other player foul so it's well deserved don't give tacky fouls...
6. these guys look tired, just straight out tired..i have no idea what coach reyes rotation is whether he's got a 6 man rotation or 8 man rotation, but if the bench is thin in sub players that really worries me because it's only going to get tougher once everyone is in the one and done situation. just look at the end of the HK-PH game. norwood, williams, and everyone else on the court looked tired and just out of steam, against an HK team!? the one person who looked fresh and wanted more was alapag, this dude has got heart and grit, i like that.

a win is a win, but watching that game last night was horrible. if i was chot reyes i would not be happy with that win. hell my parent in laws(who are chinese) was watching it with me and asking why I wasn't happy, the philippines won bla bla blah (they are old school chinese so they are very pro china in everything, and indirectly even turned it into apolitical discussion about the philippines and america). i pretty much told them, there's more honor in losing a battle if you give it your all than having a pyrrhic victory<--okay i don't know how to exactly say that in chinse cuz its too deep, so i pretty much had my wife tell them what i meant.

i would've gone bobby knight or frank martin on those guys if i saw such sloppy play, absolutely sloppy. only guy who had heart and balls together was alapag, guy is tough!

Its frustrating to watch isnt? I was trying not to swear too much coz my little nephew was sitting next to me and he absorb things like a sponge. But geeeeez some of their play and decision when taking shot was raising my stress level. Hero ball hero ball hero ball.....bloody hell POUND THEM INSIDE!!! You got an import that can do that!!!!

usejunmarpls
08-10-2013, 03:07 AM

hahaha i dunno about the refs btw1 thing about the fajardo he is fundamentally sound its just our chot dont have any set plays for him and playing time if our coach can utilize junmars insane post up game pilipinas is a scary team,, i guess junmar needs a lot international game experience..

weward
08-10-2013, 07:37 AM
QHMEY5YfBlQ