PDA

View Full Version : QF Game 2: Chinese Taipei (2) vs. China (3)

sinobball
08-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Aug 9 17:45

Best Taiwan team in years against worst Mainland team in years. For China, Yi Jianlian said after the Bahrain game he still felt a little discomfort when he turned his body or tried big steps. Li Xiaoxu also twisted his ankle while Liu Xiaoyu was still not able to play. For Chinese Taipei, Lin Chih-chieh had been bothered by a twisted ankle while Lee Hsueh-lin reportedly bumped his knee against Qatar and was sent to the hospital afterwards.

Kryptheo
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Aug 9 17:45

Best Taiwan team in years against worst Mainland team in years. For China, Yi Jianlian said after the Bahrain game he still felt a little discomfort when he turned his body or tried big steps. Li Xiaoxu also twisted his ankle while Liu Xiaoyu was still not able to play. For Chinese Taipei, Lin Chih-chieh had been bothered by a twisted ankle while Lee Hsueh-lin reportedly bumped his knee against Qatar and was sent to the hospital afterwards.

This would be a very interesting match to see. In all honesty as a Filipino avid basketball fan I've always thought that mainland Chinese team are very difficult to beat. I still can't forget how the very first PBA all star(circa Jaworski, Fernandez etc) was sent and they came short of winning the gold because of the greatest hurdle they faced, China. My hopes were crushed that day as I was listening to the radio how China dismantle the PBA selection. We never got to have that revenge on the Chinese A team on big international competitions over the years. On this FIBA edition though China doesn't look that very impressive so Taiwan may have a chance of upsetting them. Hopefully Phils can pull a win over Kazaks, then whoever wins between China and Taiwan would surely make a great basketnovela for the Filipinos as either of the 2 teams have become Phils nemesis. Goodluck to our teams and may they give us one hell of a battle to watch

CKR13
08-08-2013, 12:30 AM
China's players have the mental advantage over Chinese Taipei, but let's not count them out just yet, Chinese Taipei team gets hot outside when they are truly zealous.

reamily
08-08-2013, 12:34 AM
China hasn't been this weak for years now.. Luckily for us Chinese Taipei would be the one to prove it...

China has been very weak outside China..

Spenz
08-08-2013, 01:56 AM
^ very weak outside china lol.

Although I pick China to win comfortably, I gues CT will try to push them to the limit and just run out of gas in the last quarter.

MD125
08-08-2013, 03:03 AM
China's players have the mental advantage over Chinese Taipei, but let's not count them out just yet, Chinese Taipei team gets hot outside when they are truly zealous.
It seems TPE got overconfident after that game over the philippines. They almost lost to Japan and of course was horrible against Qatar. I dont know if the TPE coach can outcoach Giannakis. Seems TPE showed all they have against the Philippines game. But the ball is round as they say.

GilG
08-08-2013, 03:18 AM

China is extremely good when defending the three-point line, and that doesn't bode well for Taiwan. I expect China to beat Taiwan by double-digits.

GilG
08-08-2013, 03:19 AM
It seems TPE got overconfident after that game over the philippines. They almost lost to Japan and of course was horrible against Qatar. I dont know if the TPE coach can outcoach Giannakis. Seems TPE showed all they have against the Philippines game. But the ball is round as they say.

Taiwan treated the game against the Philippines like the gold-medal watch. Ever since that game, it's been downhill for Taiwan. I will be very surprised if Taiwan can make it close, but I highly doubt it.

budz17
08-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Not a close game imo. Game plan for china would be guard against fastbreaks, rush the shooters to make them drive, crash the boards and pound it down low. Wash, rinse and repeat. Oh yeah, get the ball out of lin chih che' hands as well

Bad_Shot
08-08-2013, 06:00 AM
China's defenders is too tall for the outside shooters of Taiwan.
Taiwan Shooters did pretty impressive against the face-up defense that the Philippines implemented.
They are shooting the ball like tossing coins in a swimming pool while the defense is up there and still going in.
If Taiwan can shhot like what they did againts the Philippines then they might have a chance.
But I still think the WALLS of China is too big for them to overcome while shooting in their faces.

sinobball
08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Lee Hsueh-lin out of FIBA-Asia. Knee swollen, soft tissue injury suspected, he'll fly back to Taiwan for treatment.

Overall a quiet tournament for him. His backup Chen Shih-chieh has been more impressive.

lakers4sho
08-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Taiwan's zone is one of their main trump cards in this year's tourney. Even if they're not athletic, they're extremely quick on their feet, allows them to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time defensively.

You solve their zone, you solve half the problem already. Of course, the other half is their outside shooting.

interxavierxxx
08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Taiwan's zone is one of their main trump cards in this year's tourney. Even if they're not athletic, they're extremely quick on their feet, allows them to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time defensively.

You solve their zone, you solve half the problem already. Of course, the other half is their outside shooting.

With China's taller line-up, I believe Taiwan's zone may be less effective as Zhu Fangyu, Guo Ailun, Sun Yue, Wang Zhizhi, and even Yi Jianlian can hit outside shots. Taiwan can put up a good fight if they can be aggressive with the boards and score a lot of fast-break points.

Cryotek
08-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Obviously, China will win this game...this will be a battle of Chinese, but eventually, the mainland has the upperhand!

lbj_19
08-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I think The 1,2,3 players of China would be the key here. Yi is already an advantage here for China as Tseng and Davis would be hard pressed to contain even an injured Yi. I say the guards and the 3 of China is key is because these positions have been Cina's weakness in this tournament. Sun Yue is lost, can't hit his jumpshots even open ones, but his defense against Lu and Lin will be key here. He is much longer than the 2 so he should be able bother those 2. Wang shipeng has been the most consistent shooter for China so far and he would need to continue shooting here.

Taiwan's starting pg should be indeed Chen. Playing very well in this tournament. This would be Taiwans edge as China's guards has been ineffective due to their ages and lack of experience.

If Taiwan shoots like they can, this can be a close game. I don't think an injured Yi can do it all for China.

zonglin
08-08-2013, 01:46 PM
It's a worst match for Chinese Taipei.:p

interxavierxxx
08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I think The 1,2,3 players of China would be the key here. Yi is already an advantage here for China as Tseng and Davis would be hard pressed to contain even an injured Yi. I say the guards and the 3 of China is key is because these positions have been Cina's weakness in this tournament. Sun Yue is lost, can't hit his jumpshots even open ones, but his defense against Lu and Lin will be key here. He is much longer than the 2 so he should be able bother those 2. Wang shipeng has been the most consistent shooter for China so far and he would need to continue shooting here.

Taiwan's starting pg should be indeed Chen. Playing very well in this tournament. This would be Taiwans edge as China's guards has been ineffective due to their ages and lack of experience.

If Taiwan shoots like they can, this can be a close game. I don't think an injured Yi can do it all for China.

I prefer Guo over Chen because the latter has a tendency to play very poorly at the start.

DJMax_06
08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
It's a worst match for Chinese Taipei.:p

just play your super A game..then possibly taipe team can beat China.China team is a little bit disrupted right now,. I believe this is the time for your big 3 to play their best game of their lives..---> Lin,Tseng and Tien lie? DAvis is very good compliment..its a 50-50 game..goodluck!

lbj_19
08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I prefer Guo over Chen because the latter has a tendency to play very poorly at the start.

yes for the Chinese team I do prefer Guo as well. I was talking about Chen of Taiwan, number 8 guy as opposed to the veteran Lee (6).

interxavierxxx
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
yes for the Chinese team I do prefer Guo as well. I was talking about Chen of Taiwan, number 8 guy as opposed to the veteran Lee (6).

Sorry my bad for misreading. Yes, Chen is definitely a better PG as he has more variety in his game. I'm not impressed with their starting PG (Lee Hsueh-Lin); I find him ineffective in all of Taiwan's games.

reamily
08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Jayjay Alejandro should be the starting pg. of taiwan not that.. okay I will be kind..

sickcurtain_16
08-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm looking forward on Tseng Wen Ting and Wang Zhelin's matchup.

FrankieJB
08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Insightful preview by The Dragon before the game:

Panagiotis Giannakis (China) about the knockout games

Now, its coming, the real tournament. Now, its the knockout games. Weve had good preparation until now, with the difficult games and the difficult situations. Were gonna be ready to play the strong games, the knockout games.

http://manila2013.fibaasia.net/TournamentNewsDetails.aspx?id=3621 ;)

lakers4sho
08-09-2013, 12:37 AM
If both teams played the same exact way they played in the prelims, then CT will beat China.

Baller4Lyf
08-09-2013, 02:43 AM
CT had never beaten China's Team A and this game will not be an exception IMO. CT had been on a slump and plays like it is their TEAM B from the Jones Cup since their game against Japan. The height factor will play much into this game and Yi is reserving his might all throughout the tournament and will start showing it again in the quarterfinals up to the end. Also, Lin is playing hurt and his contribution might not even reach to a minimum in today's game.

I'm guessing China by 20 points...

CKR13
08-09-2013, 05:59 AM
FOX Sports TW reported that guards Lin Chih-chieh (ankle) and Lee Hsueh-Lin (knee) are good to go according to head coach Hsu Chin-Tse.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 09:50 AM
13 pts by China in barely 130 seconds. Just incredible.
http://www.bestsportgo.tv/20130808/vv-616949-basketball-5203fd045414f0.01467666.html

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
This is a completely different China from what we've seen in previous rounds. They have been training to play Giannakis' signature slow tempo for weeks and they day it counts they run like rabbits and finally hit 3s. How much does it make sense? It's a pity because I was anxious to find out what that new style would give in a knockout game. They are on to score 100+ right now. And Taiwan is totally pathetic. TPE#9 is terrible.

sinobball
08-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm watching here
http://ipcabletv.blogspot.com/2013/06/basketball-tv-nba.html?m=1

Again, the chatbox has a sinoball, a sinnoball, a sinobaall, a snnoball, but no sinobball. Should I join?

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 10:42 AM
OMG Taiwan is in a rage MODE

logbi77
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
TPE finally misses after a 10/10 start in the 3rd qtr.

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Upset in the making!!! taiwan leading by 7

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 10:50 AM
We have a game!!!!!!!!

logbi77
08-09-2013, 10:52 AM
From 35-50 down during the 2nd qtr, TPE ends the 3rd qtr with a 71-62 lead.

budz17
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM
9 pt lead by taiwan going into the fourth quarter.

man, china really is in trouble here.

interxavierxxx
WTH is Giannakis doing? Taiwan with the momentum and he's not calling a timeout?! China better fire this guy after this tournament.

Bad_Shot
End of 3rd Quarter Taiwan still leads by 9

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 10:55 AM
WTH is Giannakis doing? Taiwan with the momentum and he's not calling a timeout?! China better fire this guy after this tournament.
Bad move by China hiring Giannakis. Chinese player cannot comprehend Giannakis system too well.

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Exactly what happened on many occasions last year when he was coaching Limoges in France. The other team was on fire and he was waiting and waiting...

tmlouk
08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
C-hahahahahahhah-ina

interxavierxxx
08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Exactly what happened on many occasions last year when he was coaching Limoges in France. The other team was on fire and he was waiting and waiting...

This is strange considering that I've always seen him leading China to the title. I guess what works for Greece won't work for China.

tmlouk
08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
China, from the Asian Powerhouse, to Asias laughinstock

budz17
08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
big lead by taiwan

with 3 7 footers china sure looks like a doughnut team, tsk tsk tsk.

Baller4Lyf
08-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Damn CHINA playing the worst game in recent history!!
I'm sure if they lose this one, they will revamp the entire lineup and even fire their coach as well...

tmlouk
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Damn CHINA playing the worst game in recent history!!
I'm sure if they lose this one, they will revamp the entire lineup and even fire their coach as well...

they are totally mess. How can they lose 12:31 in one Quater. China Men Basketball is at the bottom. They have blamed at the University Games too

budz17
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
no intensity for the chinese players at all, like its just a scrimmage.

interxavierxxx
08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Game over. Taiwan is simply going to play the clock and take shots from the outside as a last resort.

It's pretty clear who is to blame for China's loss: Panagiotis Giannakis

budz17
08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
iran better watch out, hahaha.

man, terrible effort by china, but chinese taipei wanted this game more.

logbi77
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
TPE outscores China 56-28 in the 2nd half. Wow.

budz17
08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
TPE outscores China 56-28 in the 2nd half. Wow.

wtf!!!

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
GARBAGE TIME!!! Giannakis is Responsible for this.

sinobball
08-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Congrats to Chinese Taipei, throughout the tournament they showed they have the heart of a champion, they never gave up, whether it's against PHI, QAT, or CHN. They made history! Tsai Wen-cheng, what a player today. I had 100% underestimated them. Even in the 4Q when they led by double digit I still thought China would win. Man, was I foolish.

Hard pill to swallow for China, from up by 16 in 2Q to losing by almost 20. First time losing to Taiwan. First time finishing out of top 4, I believe? I'm really speechless. Defense is nonexistent in 2H. No post game on offense. What is going to happen after the media blizzard? Fire Giannakis, that is going to solve the problem? Which begs the question, other than spending a fortune on hiring Giannakis, what exactly did the bureaucrats do to help the NT program after the London debacle?

durden_tyler
08-09-2013, 11:32 AM
(i have a self-imposed ban but this is too big to pass up on):

WOW, TAIPEI WOW! CONGRATULATIONS for beating China!

Years of being the bitch (to China and the Philippines) and now, 2013 is going to be a very special one for you for making bitches of both China (especially China) in this Quarters and the Philippines in the First Round. The Taiwan national team have earned my respect and will continue to do so in the coming year. Again, congratulations.

Now back to Lurk Mode ;)

DJMax_06
08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
this taipe team is more dangerous than korea..the team reminds me of Orlando with D12 as DAvis now and surrounded by 3pointers! congratz Taipe!

Kryptheo
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Congrats Taiwan! Props to their team for having heart. I am disappointed by the way China played(except for Yi) Taiwan had more fire in their eyes, respect!

Rico101
08-09-2013, 11:42 AM
im clueless and amaze on the shooting of taiwan
it's like they memorize how to shoot the lights out in moa
sheez. they must be on drugs
basketball Gods must be inlove with this emo boys

FrankieJB
08-09-2013, 11:43 AM
This is strange considering that I've always seen him leading China to the title. I guess what works for Greece won't work for China.

This is not strange, Asian teams' main weapon is their speed, playing slow tempo means this strength #1 is left unusued!

petitioner
08-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Congrats to Chinese Taipei, throughout the tournament they showed they have the heart of a champion, they never gave up, whether it's against PHI, QAT, or CHN. They made history! Tsai Wen-cheng, what a player today. I had 100% underestimated them. Even in the 4Q when they led by double digit I still thought China would win. Man, was I foolish.

Hard pill to swallow for China, from up by 16 in 2Q to losing by almost 20. First time losing to Taiwan. First time finishing out of top 4, I believe? I'm really speechless. Defense is nonexistent in 2H. No post game on offense. What is going to happen after the media blizzard? Fire Giannakis, that is going to solve the problem? Which begs the question, other than spending a fortune on hiring Giannakis, what exactly did the bureaucrats do to help the NT program after the London debacle?

maybe it's time for china to get its own naturalized player?

webuyube
08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
no china in the world championshps! ! . . . not,!:-P theyll just buy their ticket to spain

budz17
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Yi ran out of gas in the fourth. there was one sequence he got the offensive rebound and quincy davis was still outside the shaded area, he just passed it out for a 3pt attempt.

wang zhizhi is already old. wang zhelin is very young. perhaps they should have included the 7'2" guy zhu qi, more toughness there, wang zhelin is just too young and his body is still not developed. he was bullied by davis and with Yi still not 100% chinese taipei just owned the paint in the 2nd half.

logbi77
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Chinese Taipei made 13 consecutive FGs from 51s left in the 2nd quarter to 3:17 left in the 3rd quarter, outscoring China 30-8 in that stretch.

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
From London to Manila : The Blame Game Continues

So what Next For China???

khaledlebanon
08-09-2013, 12:02 PM
no china in the world championshps! ! . . . not,!:-P theyll just buy their ticket to spain
I think they'll get a wild card!

interxavierxxx
08-09-2013, 12:02 PM
From London to Manila : The Blame Game Continues

So what Next For China???

Most probably they're going to regroup and prepare for the next big event. After the 2014 WC, there will be a new format.

digitalsuperman
08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
(i have a self-imposed ban but this is too big to pass up on):

WOW, TAIPEI WOW! CONGRATULATIONS for beating China!

Years of being the bitch (to China and the Philippines) and now, 2013 is going to be a very special one for you for making bitches of both China (especially China) in this Quarters and the Philippines in the First Round. The Taiwan national team have earned my respect and will continue to do so in the coming year. Again, congratulations.

Now back to Lurk Mode ;)

what the hell DT! welcome back!

DarknessFalls
08-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Yi ran out of gas in the fourth. there was one sequence he got the offensive rebound and quincy davis was still outside the shaded area, he just passed it out for a 3pt attempt.

wang zhizhi is already old. wang zhelin is very young. perhaps they should have included the 7'2" guy zhu qi, more toughness there, wang zhelin is just too young and his body is still not developed. he was bullied by davis and with Yi still not 100% chinese taipei just owned the paint in the 2nd half.

Zhou Qi is younger than Wang Zhelin and a lot skinnier. He's not ready for senior competition. They could have probably used Max Zhang and some other players, but it's still about team defense. China just opened the door and let Taiwan get in the paint with ease in the 2nd half.

Baller4Lyf
08-09-2013, 12:12 PM
First to go on this Chinese NT is the coach.. The hush hush among reporters is that the Chinese players despise the coach and his system. Also, they are "allegedly" being treated like rubbish by their coach. Compound to the problem that Yi is "injured"? or not 'coz he maybe vying for a spot in an NBA roster in the coming months.
China National Basketball Federation will not be amused with this year's FIBA results...

sinobball
08-09-2013, 12:14 PM
maybe it's time for china to get its own naturalized player?Can't happen, Chinese nationality law doesn't allow it. Plus, that's not the fix.

Right now my brain is not functioning, I don't know what to write really. It's easy to blame Giannakis, and he probably deserves all the criticism because he completely failed while getting paid a ton of money, but I can't blame him. Chinese media area going to blame the CBA being too overrun by NBA-level imports. This idea I also had after the London Olympics, but not right now. Half of this Chinese Taipei team also play in the CBA, how come they are able to play? How could they make the CBA, and many of them starting, in the first place? The entire Chinese infrastructure needs some major overhauling. Taiwan has the HBL (high school league) that is very popular, gets national TV time and huge attendances. Their counterparts in the mainland are in sports schools, get no education, train basketball 10 hours a day under illiterate and authoritarian coaches that takes away their creativity and passion, play in junior leagues that have audiences of <20, and end up being worse in fundamentals!!! Yao Ming alone has masked the problem for too long, and I have to thank the Taiwanese brethren for this humiliation in a major way. Hopefully some right changes can be undertaken - which is NOT to destroy the CBA, but I fear that may happen. Oh man I'm so bummed I don't know what I'm writing...

digitalsuperman
08-09-2013, 12:22 PM

if they can afford it. why not. heck i even think they can buy two tickets to spain :D

DarknessFalls
08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
There was a interesting interview with Chris Tang recently with the Chinese media. He talked about how when he practiced with the Junior Chinese national team, it was long hours of practice. As compared to in the U.S., there's more rest and recovery but in the less times of practice, it's more intense. There's also focus on weight training. China's problem I think is their guards and overall defense. Wang Shipeng and Liu Wei are near their last runs. Previous CNT Coach Bob Donewald had a past interview mentioning that it was difficult for him to find a point guard, which if true says a lot. Guo Ailun still looks like a good prospect, but he might be the only one with the right combination needed for the big stage. If Chris Tang ends up being successful, that's another prospect that can also give hints that China's training system may need some changes.

Sun Yue's team still being banned by the CBA and him not being allowed to play there is ridiculous. If he's supposed to be one of the main players on CNT, he should get some more adequate playing time at least in the CBA to be able to improve. He shot horrible in this tournament.

Still gotta give credit to Taiwan though. They had good ball movement, while Quincy Davis locked down the paint, good shooters, and showed a lot of heart and passion.

schimdth
08-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Last FIBA Asia edition Jordan upset Iran in quarter finals and now Chinese Taipei wow I cant believe the drama in this year FIBA edition

sinobball
08-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I think they'll get a wild card!
If I'm the Chinese Federation and the invitation comes I'll just refuse it. It's embarrassing and unfair; the 4th place Asian team ought to be there.

I'd like to say thank you to old men Wang Zhizhi, Zhu Fangyu and Wang Shipeng, you all should have claimed injuries when the bureaucrats insisted that you join the NT and/or come to Manila. Thank you for all your services but China NT needs to move on. China "B" could have achieved the same result (5-8th), now that stings.

mavrick_h
08-09-2013, 01:28 PM
dafuq happened?

Is this the same Taipei that we've blowed them in their court by 20 pts without our full squad?!
Or China was having a horrible day?

I can't believe what I'm seeing right now!!! We had a great chance to be in the finals and a shot to the championship.

zonglin
08-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I still couldn't believe that Chinese Taipei won China.

saalsapr
08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I had Taiwan winning this game, but not by this wide a margin. This will mean either Philippines or Taiwan gets to be in the World Championship. Possibly both but that would require a win against S Korea or Iran, who have been great in this tournament. We will see.

All's not lost for China either, as they can get an invitation to Spain.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Guilty for dozing off... Last time I checked China was up and when I woke up, I was like WTF... Had to rub my eyes in disbelief.

sinobball
08-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Guilty for dozing off... Last time I checked China was up and when I woke up, I was like WTF... Had to rub my eyes in disbelief.
I watched the game from start to finish, and I also don't know what happened really, but I don't plan to rewatch it. 18pts is not a small gap that can be explained by just 1 or 2 things. Now that it already happened, it probably was meant this way for China to get better in the future. No more of this "tall => top team in Asia" thinking, it no longer is true, everything has to be rebuilt.

budz17
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I watched the game from start to finish, and I also don't know what happened really, but I don't plan to rewatch it. 18pts is not a small gap that can be explained by just 1 or 2 things. Now that it already happened, it probably was meant this way for China to get better in the future. No more of this "tall => top team in Asia" thinking, it no longer is true, everything has to be rebuilt.

correct. tall not necessarily is better. watching the chinese in this game was a pain. aside from yi, nobody else could hack it. heck, without yi a professional team from the philippines can beat them, no offense meant.

who's that number 15 in your avatar? I saw him in the sharks game in manila, I thought he should have been in the line up instead of wang zhelin

J-Mart
08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
if Argentina qualifies, China should get a wildcard.

sinobball
08-09-2013, 03:29 PM
correct. tall not necessarily is better. watching the chinese in this game was a pain. aside from yi, nobody else could hack it. heck, without yi a professional team from the philippines can beat them, no offense meant.

who's that number 15 in your avatar? I saw him in the sharks game in manila, I thought he should have been in the line up instead of wang zhelin
Tall isn't necessarily better, but playing tall is definitely better. China didn't play tall today, meaning they didn't go inside enough, or, at all in the 2nd half.

#15 is Li Muhao, he's not the one you saw (that'd be Mr. Eyebrow "Max" Zhang Zhaoxu). Zhang is not as good as Wang Zhelin and will not be. Wang Zhelin may not have had any dominating performance someone had hoped (including me) but he held his own against shorter opponents IMO. He had an efficiency of 12 today in only 15 minutes and I definitely question why he wasn't used more in the 2nd half, especially since Yi clearly wandered outside and refused to grab offensive boards. Against Kazakhstan and Korea, Wang Zhelin also had pretty good stats for his minutes, the only really terrible game was the one against Iran. He's not the next Yao, Wang Zhizhi, Menkbateer or Yi, he's not, but I think/hope he'll be a very good offensive player for China, IMO better than the current (healthy) Marcus Douthit.

budz17
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Tall isn't necessarily better, but playing tall is definitely better. China didn't play tall today, meaning they didn't go inside enough, or, at all in the 2nd half.

#15 is Li Muhao, he's not the one you saw (that'd be Mr. Eyebrow "Max" Zhang Zhaoxu). Zhang is not as good as Wang Zhelin and will not be. Wang Zhelin may not have had any dominating performance someone had hoped (including me) but he held his own against shorter opponents IMO. He had an efficiency of 12 today in only 15 minutes and I definitely question why he wasn't used more in the 2nd half, especially since Yi clearly wandered outside and refused to grab offensive boards. Against Kazakhstan and Korea, Wang Zhelin also had pretty good stats for his minutes, the only really terrible game was the one against Iran. He's not the next Yao, Wang Zhizhi, Menkbateer or Yi, he's not, but I think/hope he'll be a very good offensive player for China, IMO better than the current (healthy) Marcus Douthit.

that's a bold claim but only time will tell if he really will be that good.

you nailed, they're tall but they played small. they kept jacking up 3s but none were going in and taipei had uncontested rebounds. I mentioned earlier they're like a doughnut team. and yeah, very few drives inside to challenge the big men of taipei, davis got a free pass there.

sinobball
08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
that's a bold claim but only time will tell if he really will be that good.
We'll see, I also said China won't lose this game...

But if you compare the stats I don't think I'm being far fetched:

http://fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/14/wcm/player/p/pid/83948/sid/6583/tid/262/profile.html
Wang Zhelin 10.7p (65% FG) 6.4r (3.1 off) in 19min

http://fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/14/wcm/player/p/pid/50089/sid/6583/tid/346/profile.html
Marcus Douthit 13.3p (46% FG) 10.3r (1.9 off) in 28min

what the hell DT! welcome back!
Durden_tyler just wanted to say he's not the only one who got put to shame for grossly underestimating Chinese Taipei (or perhaps overrating their own team). I'm also guilty and also deserve to pay for my arrogance.

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Under Coach Chot, Douthit offense is not being utilize more often.
Because his system focuses more on guards and wingmen doing the job done.

F-15Eagle
08-09-2013, 04:40 PM

You have a large pool of tall centers and forwards (you must not really worry who plays center or pf)..if you can produce a crop of above average point guards that would be fantastic for china.
On the contrary, the philippines has a deep pool of pg/sg but is obviously wanting in quality bigmen standing 6'8 and above, hence the need for a naturalized center

mikemurni
08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Do you think the last minute roster change forced by the CBA cause this team to lose whatever is left of their chemistry...

Because I honestly dont believe that those players where "injured"... I mean 1 player maybe, but 3.. I think its more like CBA pressuring the coaching staff to include players that they want...