PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Asia Championships 2013 - Day 6 Games Discussion

CKR13
08-06-2013, 01:50 AM
South Korea will have a tough one versus Kazakhstan. It is finesse versus physicality, a good test for developing Kim Jong-Kyu, Lee Jong-Hyun, Choi Joon-Young, Moon Seung-Gon and Kim Min-Goo.

Meanwhile Chinese Taipei aims to keep their new found mastery over Japan later.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 02:20 AM
For the Japanese side, Kimikazu Suzuki was interviewed by the team correspondence and stated that the team played very disappointing against the Philippines. Suzuki also stated that the team will play much better against Chinese Taipei as he said that they have scouted Taiwan's players since the East Asia tournament and Quincy Davis during the Jones Cup.

Suzuki detailed some points about the upcoming game: He said matching up Takeuchi versus Davis is much better due to their similarities in height.

MD125
08-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Matchup to watch aside from JPN-TPE are PHI-QAT and KAZ-KOR.

The first have basically the same style. While the next two are a battle of Big-Small, Fast-Slow.

cireexmed
08-06-2013, 03:31 AM
South Korea will have a tough one versus Kazakhstan. It is finesse versus physicality, a good test for developing Kim Jong-Kyu, Lee Jong-Hyun, Choi Joon-Young, Moon Seung-Gon and Kim Min-Goo.

Meanwhile Chinese Taipei aims to keep their new found mastery over Japan later.

Whats your take about the option of tanking to pick their opponents in the quarters?

sinobball
08-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Matchup to watch aside from JPN-TPE are PHI-QAT and KAZ-KOR.

The first have basically the same style. While the next two are a battle of Big-Small, Fast-Slow.
Are you saying that Qatar is bigger and slower?

Jordan cruising right now against hapless HK. No surprise.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Whats your take about the option of tanking to pick their opponents in the quarters?

I have nothing against teams that lose on purpose. It's their games to win or lose after such gambit.

Spenz
08-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Pretty interesting discussion regarding the placing of the teams as the knock out round is just around the corner. . . . It may be to the advantage of a team to lose on purpose however does that take away the cometitiveness of each team? fans do not deserve watch a game where teams lose on purpose. . . .Are there any sanctions for tanking?

interxavierxxx
08-06-2013, 04:15 AM
I have nothing against teams that lose on purpose. It's their games to win or lose after such gambit.

I think he's asking you whether or not you think the group F teams will tank to choose their QF opponents.

sinobball
08-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Pretty interesting discussion regarding the placing of the teams as the knock out round is just around the corner. . . . It may be to the advantage of a team to lose on purpose however does that take away the cometitiveness of each team? fans do not deserve watch a game where teams lose on purpose. . . .Are there any sanctions for tanking?
In 1993 ABC Championship, China was upset by Saudi Arabia and finished 2nd in its group. The 2 top teams in the other group, Chinese Taipei and North Korea, clashed on the last day, and both teams intentionally wanted to lose. North Korea stated shooting at their own basket. At half, FIBA decided to cancel the game and Chinese Taipei, which was leading by an astonishingly high score of 14-7, was deemed the winner, and unfortunately had to play China for the quarterfinal. Eventually North Korea finished 2nd, much better than Chinese Taipei which finished 5th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_ABC_Championship

lakers4sho
08-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Playing the seedings game doesn't necessarily mean that you'll "tank". Popovich is a well known utiliser of this strategy, yet his Spurs are a perennial 50 win team.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 04:35 AM
I think he's asking you whether or not you think the group F teams will tank to choose their QF opponents.

I don't know on which teams will tank or are planning to. As I said, I have nothing against it.

petitioner
08-06-2013, 04:56 AM
In 1993 ABC Championship, China was upset by Saudi Arabia and finished 2nd in its group. The 2 top teams in the other group, Chinese Taipei and North Korea, clashed on the last day, and both teams intentionally wanted to lose. North Korea stated shooting at their own basket. At half, FIBA decided to cancel the game and Chinese Taipei, which was leading by an astonishingly high score of 14-7, was deemed the winner, and unfortunately had to play China for the quarterfinal. Eventually North Korea finished 2nd, much better than Chinese Taipei which finished 5th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_ABC_Championship

hahaha what a bunch of cheats

greenarcher
08-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Looks like CJ Giles is injured. Bahrain is dead without him.

sinobball
08-06-2013, 05:09 AM
So the 42-year-old Bahrain player is playing, Ahmad Aman Malallah. He makes Haddadi appear fast. Hell, he makes the current Mengke Bateer appear fast.

Malallah hits a 3! Deficit down to 10.

engwan
08-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Deficit down to 3 at halftime :)

sinobball
08-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Japan 25-22 Chinese Taipei after 1Q. I definitely see CT winning this, Japanese perimeter defense is not effective. The fact they are leading is because CT gave up too many rebounds. But Henderson and Takeuchi already with 2 fouls each and I haven't seen any substitution by Coach Suzuki, indicating a thin bench.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Japan showing some life in the third. Kurihara with a dislocated finger.

interxavierxxx
08-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Gotta give the Japanese credit for their defense on Taiwan's outside shooting.

sinobball
08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Still a 2-pt game entering 4th. CT completely sloppy in 3rd, but Japan unable to hold on to the new lead. Tseng, after one of the worst FT ever, had a double dribble that went uncalled (unless that was an AND1 move - dribbled between his legs?)

Henderson finally sits. Hinkely is a foul machine, nothing else.

Crowd completely behind Chinese Taipei. No Japanese in Manila?

Edit: Chen Shih-chieh with a bad fall, similar to the one suffered by Liu Xiaoyu yesterday. Hope he's OK, played very well aside from that botched layup.

interxavierxxx
08-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Sakuragi is an idiot. He should get back on defense, not argue with the refs every chance he gets!

CKR13
08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
This is perhaps the best game I have seen for Sakurai. He is focused after some talk with Suzuki.

sinobball
08-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Just get the ball to Lin Chih-chieh!

CKR13
08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Chinese Taipei wins 79-76. Tsuji played bad unlike last night. Ryota Sakurai's good game wasted.

sinobball
08-06-2013, 10:08 AM
China playing like shit again but leads 22-14 after 1Q against India. I'm not sure whether this is practice but again China plays a bunch of perimeter guys again, with 90% of the offense ending in a jacked up 3. Outrebounded by India.

lbj_19
08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
My view about China's team is the inexperience is very evident and the team has not adjusted to the system of the new coach. They would need Yi's A Game to be able to win this tournament.

Iran is just in a different level right now. Bahrami is a treat to watch.

JGX
08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Can't believe they are playing an injured Douthit so much here. They might choke away the point differential anyway...

lakers4sho
08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Can't believe they are playing an injured Douthit so much here. They might choke away the point differential anyway...

Who cares about point differential? Gilas might've just blew their chances by Chot's ever-so-wise decision to leave Douthit in.

Winterbeat
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
The Philippines' zone defense exposed Qatar's shooting (lack thereof). Some tense moments with Marcus falling down, hopefully it's just a bruised shin.

oaba09
08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
I kinda expected the come back from qatar...they're too good a team to be beaten by 20pts or more.....kudos to the boys for playing amazing defense....douthit got injured but the good news is, chot can rest him tomorrow against hongkong...

aymanxp
08-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Full Game : Jordan vs Hong Kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcQloFS3Vc

CKR13
08-06-2013, 02:49 PM
KAZ having trouble with tenacious Korean defense.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Kim Min-Goo heating up in the 2nd quarter.

FrankieJB
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
KAZ having trouble with tenacious Korean defense.

This KAZ team is a joke, honestly. Without their US PG I am not sure they would beat India. Most of them are not basketball players, they are just athletes playing this orange-ball game. Well, not all even are athletes, some are just fat bodies. 15 points out of 27 for Johnson at HT.

FrankieJB
08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
By the way it's completely stupid from the coach to play Ponomarev, one of the few real players in this team, so far away from the basket.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Korea up double digits entering the 4th. Kim Sun-Hyung had a good 3rd quarter.

lakers4sho
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I kinda expected the come back from qatar...they're too good a team to be beaten by 20pts or more.....kudos to the boys for playing amazing defense....douthit got injured but the good news is, chot can rest him tomorrow against hongkong...

But will he?

FrankieJB
08-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Yargaliyev + lapchenko + ponomarev = 5/31 fg.

CKR13
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Good win for Korea. Yoo Jae-Hak has done a good job of rotating the front-court for rebounding and defense. This was Kim Min-Goo's break out game while Kim Sun-Hyung once again brought energy. Kim SH is becoming the sixth man for this team.