PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Asia Championships 2013 - Day 5 Games Discussion

CKR13
08-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Yesterday was a rest day so day 5 it is. I think the Philippines will have a resounding bounce back game against Japan, who runs a very simplistic and uninspired UCLA horns offense.

Let Takeuchi and Sakuragi operate inside / outside
Reverse the ball
Swing it around until you hit an open man

Also, Kanamaru is looking like Takuya Kawamura. Aside from being the go to guy in the perimeter, the offense also stagnates when he has the ball. It is well if his shot is falling but if not, then hope his shot is falling. One essential factor missing in his triple threat game is the passing / recognition of outlets.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 02:16 AM
First time in FIBA Asia history where 2nd round is a lot more boring than prelim groups!

lakers4sho
08-05-2013, 02:43 AM
First time in FIBA Asia history where 2nd round is a lot more boring than prelim groups!

That's what happens when you have 2 groups with pretty much all the good teams of the tournament.

freakmao
08-05-2013, 02:52 AM
good game between jor and qatar. tied at 23 after 1q.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 03:14 AM
good game between jor and qatar. tied at 23 after 1q.
No interior games from either team. Jordan is supposedly one of the tallest teams in this tourney, why do they like to jack the 3's so much?

Is Yaseen Ismail the oldest player in the tournament? I think he's older than Wang Zhizhi because I heard he shaved more years on his official DOB, haha. But he plays young.

lakers4sho
08-05-2013, 03:18 AM
I haven't tuned into the current game, but based from what I've seen so far Jordan's offensive game is too predicated on what Baxter does (and doesn't) too.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Jordan going inside more. Ahmad Hekmat Aldwairi's dunk attempt under the basket got facial-rejected by Musa Daoud Daoud just like that. Still I like the youngster, I think he has very good potential at 210cm and only 20 years old, very good size with decent mobility.

reamily
08-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Funny thing is years back when Yaseem was in his prime we say that his playing style is opposite.. old mans game because the way he was perceived as an injury prone player back then..This time his game already suited in his age..

JGX
08-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Funny thing is years back when Yaseem was in his prime we say that his playing style is opposite.. old mans game because the way he was perceived as an injury prone player back then..This time his game already suited in his age..

Yeah, he hasn't aged a day from the time he was actually 32 to the time he was officially 32.

Grinder
08-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Does anyone know how many of these guys on the Qatari team are actually from Qatar?

A lot of them have African last names and I know their football team has a lot of guys from Kuwait and Sudan. Jarvis Hayes has absolutely no connection to Qatar, lol. What happened to Tanguy Ngombo? He was their best player the past few years.

Regardless, this Qatar team looks pretty good. Their very athletic and play disruptive defense.

Jordan looks a lot worse than I've seen in previous years. What happened to guys like the Abbas brothers and Rasheim Wright?

sinobball
08-05-2013, 04:11 AM
According to the official rosters, there is a player from Bahrain called Ahmad Aman who was born in 1971. Does anyone know who he is? Oldest player in ABC history?

Those born in the 1970s include: Wang Zhizhi, Eric Sandrin/Lee SJ, Kim Joo-sung, Jimmy Alapag, Gary David, JR Henderson/Sakuragi. Yaseen should be here somewhere but is listed 1980.

Qatar takes this one. The last minute of the 3Q saw the lead balloon from 4 to 9 just like that. I'm not very impressed with Jordan's Greek coach (or China's, although I cannot agree with replacing him).

usausa
08-05-2013, 04:39 AM
A lot of them have African last names and I know their football team has a lot of guys from Kuwait and Sudan. Jarvis Hayes has absolutely no connection to Qatar, lol. What happened to Tanguy Ngombo? He was their best player the past few years.

I believe after Qatar's 2011 fiasco, he was deemed "naturalized", but was told if he had paperwork to prove he was a local Qatari then he would qualify under the locals. Qatar went with Jarvis Hayes.

JGX
08-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Battle of the beards in this Iran-India game.

UMUT_FB_LAL
08-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Battle of the beards in this Iran-India game.

I didn't even notice. Guess it depends on what you're focusing on. :p

CKR13
08-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Even the commentators from NHK, J-Sports and JBTV-VOD are not unified when it comes to Sean Hinkley. Some call him Shun Ichioka, some call him Hiroshi Ichioka.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 05:30 AM
India has definitely improved, not a contender yet but on the right track under Scott Fleming. In previous years they looked like amateurs, now at least their defense looks at least OK. Not great, considering it's Iran, but there is at least the good intensity and decent organization.

Satnam Singh Bhamara is really not that bad as Mr. Basketball always would have us believe. Not the next Haddadi but Ha Seung-jin's level is definitely not out of reach. Maybe he's better already....

Buran
08-05-2013, 05:37 AM
I thought India had a good first quarter, they tried to remain competitive by beating Iran at its own game by increasing speed in transition.
They have decent front court players. Seemed like they lost their focus and motivation in the second quarter.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 07:22 AM
TPE-HKG tied at 19 after 1Q.

Extremely boring game. Quincy Davis 0 points 3 turnovers 1 brick against super-weak HK frontcourt. Nobody expecting HK to win but they definitely look stronger than expected considering that their top 2 players from EABA Qualifiers aren't here. I wonder whether they could win a game in this tournament? Jordan? Philippines? Bahrain? India? Probably not. But hey they'll finish 12th even if they lose all games. That's pretty good. Saudi Arabia is extremely jealous.

greenarcher
08-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Crap CT is starting to pull away with those 3pt shots again. They might just dethrone SK as the best shooters in Asia.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Goddang... China's Liu Xiaoyu badly injured, carried by 6 teammates directly back to locker room

TrueBluePinoy
08-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Liu Xiayou with got hit really bad.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Gramps Wang Zhizhi already making an impact. Go Zhang Bo! He forced Johnson to a TO.

FrankieJB
08-05-2013, 10:11 AM
A travesty of a game so far, after 1Q. Kazakhstan is ridiculous.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Liu Xiaoyu appears OK sitting next to Yi. Not going to play though, will get an X-ray done on his back later, it's reported.

Kazakhstan 11 personal fouls in 1st quarter... physical team. But not really a big challenge.

TrueBluePinoy
08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Alexander Zhigulin fouled out.

Punter
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Can somebody give me stream for China - Kaz?

CKR13
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Sun Yue missing a couple of lightly challenged shots.

TrueBluePinoy
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Terrible 3rd quarter by China. No one manning up Jerry Johnson.

interxavierxxx
08-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Can somebody give me stream for China - Kaz?

http://www.sportcategory.com/c-6.html

Very poor offensive executions by China. They need a reliable point guard.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
China on a run out of the lapses made by KAZ.

interxavierxxx
08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
What BS officiating! That was a clear elbow by China!

greenarcher
08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Darn it! Zhou Peng saves the day. But Kazahkstan drew a lot of energy from China today. Good thing for China they will face India and Bahrain next.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
China wins despite being outrebounded. Veteran plays by Zhu Fangyu and Wang Zhizhi. Zhou Peng played good down the stretch.

sinobball
08-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I spoke too soon. What an ugly game. Officiating pretty horrendous for both sides, 51 fouls? Scoring table also messed up.

Didn't expect China getting outrebounded, not to mention by 5. Clearly playing 4 perimeter guys + 206cm PF does not work well protecting defensive rebounds against bruising (most likely ethnic Russian) big men. True, Wang Zhelin had 4 fouls by 2nd quarter, but in fact he never played since half-time, so I'm not sure what Giannakis is doing. Well he did win the ball game sticking with 4 perimeter guys at the end, so maybe he had his reasons, but I can't help but think how much easier it could be if Wang Zhelin started the 4th alongside Li or Wang Zhizhi, especially since quite a few Kazakhstani post players were already gone.

Whatever, a win is a win, as nonimpressive as it is, I take it. Chen Jianghua again was awful, and this has to have something to do with Giannakis, taking his creativity away by asking him to do things he's not capable of doing and making him a robotic turnover machine. I miss the free-reining Chen of the Olympics.

FrankieJB
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Not astonished, I have been a sympathizer for Olympiakos and the Greek NT for some time now, I used to appreciate Giannakis a lot but after all knew him little. Last year I had the chance to know more about him when he coached in France (Limoges). Using an understatement: I was not impressed. I am still scratching my head today over coaching decisions he made then. Incidentally, I wonder how you can coach abroad with such an English when you don't talk the local language. He was not officially fired but Limoges' management was seemingly very happy to get rid of him on the pretext of joining team China. I don't know if he is able to adjust to players, at times it looks as though he wants to apply his universal all-defense, slow-tempo style that made him successful with Ellada.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Everything is dropping for the Philippines. 23 point lead and counting. Japan is not playing with tenacity unlike their game against Qatar.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Looks like Suzuki is throwing in the towel. Watanabe leading a cast of reserves. Energy plays by Aguilar to end the 3rd.

interxavierxxx
08-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Not astonished, I have been a sympathizer for Olympiakos and the Greek NT for some time now, I used to appreciate Giannakis a lot but after all knew him little. Last year I had the chance to know more about him when he coached in France (Limoges). Using an understatement: I was not impressed. I am still scratching my head today over coaching decisions he made then. Incidentally, I wonder how you can coach abroad with such an English when you don't talk the local language. He was not officially fired but Limoges' management was seemingly very happy to get rid of him on the pretext of joining team China. I don't know if he is able to adjust to players, at times it looks as though he wants to apply his universal all-defense, slow-tempo style that made him successful with Ellada.

I'm a bit confused myself because Giannakis was really good when he handled the Greek NT. What happened to him? Did his performance as a coach drop?

interxavierxxx
08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Looks like Suzuki is throwing in the towel. Watanabe leading a cast of reserves. Energy plays by Aguilar to end the 3rd.

I'm not impressed with Sean Hinkley. For a big man, he seems to lack the necessary skills to be effective on the floor. His post plays (if he even knows how to do them), perimeter shooting, and rebounding skills are not up to standard as far as the tournament is concerned.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm not impressed with Sean Hinkley. For a big man, he seems to lack the necessary skills to be effective on the floor. His post plays (if he even knows how to do them), perimeter shooting, and rebounding skills are not up to standard as far as the tournament is concerned.

Hinkley is still not 100% as he is recovering from a wrist tear and shooting hand fracture. Plus his added muscle compromised his speed and agility. When he was thinner like the 2011 Jones Cup, he plays like a Shawn Marion type of player. He is adjusting to his new frame while his conditioning is still in question. Hopefully he gets back into shape before the NBL season.

greenarcher
08-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Would Kawamura have made a difference? Japan had no one who could create their own shots or drive hard to the rim.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Hard to imagine on how Kawamura and Kanamaru would change the chemistry of the team. Ideally, Kawamura should start and Kanamaru off the. bench.

interxavierxxx
08-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Would Kawamura have made a difference? Japan had no one who could create their own shots or drive hard to the rim.

Don't think so. Pretty much every shooter in Japan have been marked, so I doubt we'd allow him to hit easy outside shots.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Korea hitting their treys but Bahrain taking advantage of those defensive lapses.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Kim Sun Hyung with another break away dunk. 24-14 Korea.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Kim Tae Sol is turning up the pressure at the back-court while Lee Jong-Hyun with blocks and deflections to disrupt the interior play of Bahrain.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Kim Sun-Hyung show so far. Break away dunk, iceman layup, sidestep layup and a nice Rondo fake before the glide. There is that Lee Jong-Hyun throwdown too.

CKR13
08-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Kim Tae-Sol with energy tonight. 19 points and counting. He played well with Kim Sun-Hyung,

FrankieJB
08-05-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm a bit confused myself because Giannakis was really good when he handled the Greek NT. What happened to him? Did his performance as a coach drop?

Possibly dropped indeed, but before that don't forget that he speaks certainly much better Greek than English, which helps a lot as, as I said, his English sounds very limited (and obviously communication is critical in coaching). Also, the players he had then were world-class players who included shrewd foxes like Papaloukas, Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Tsartsaris, etc. This helps too! Make me Team USA coach and I may get gold in 2014. Another point is that the Greek NT is the epitome of "Giannakis' scientific, old-school, low-tempo basketball", which is why I questioned his adaptability. Now, I am not qualified to say he's bad or has become incompetent. I just wanted to point out he may not be the right person at the right place :) But of course we need not forget he was the mastermind behind Team USA's last official defeat I think, a magistral upset.

aymanxp
08-06-2013, 02:08 AM
Full Game : Jordan vs Qatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjpO04CXus