PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Asia Championships 2013 - Day 3 Games Discussion

sinobball
08-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Let's go Malaysia! Only down to Korea by single digit in 2nd quarter. Sure Korea is tired and probably not taking the game seriously. But having watched Malaysia for a few consecutive days (I know it's lame but there are no other games at this time) I have to say this Malaysia "B" or "C" team is not as bad as the scores indicate. They probably haven't trained for more than a week since they can't hit any open shots but they are reasonably fundanmentally sound. That is, compared to the 2009 Sri Lanka team, man that was an awful awful team.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 03:37 AM
Kuek with a buzzer beater trey to end the first half. Korea playing lax.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Kim Jong-Kyu fouls out in the 3rd. Lee Jong-Hyun is in.

sinobball
08-03-2013, 04:06 AM
lol Kim Joo-sung had to play the entire 3rd and still only a 10pt game at the end of 3rd. Now it will be hilarious if there is an upset and Korea fails to advance (which would require help from China beating Iran.)

CKR13
08-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Lee Jong-Hyun with two easy baskets. 66-51 Korea with 6 mins left.

greenarcher
08-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Eric Sandrin is huge! Breakout game for him today.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Good fight Malaysia. Kuek was on target for the game. Lee Jong-Hyun and Lee Seung-Jun works well together.

sinobball
08-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Korea won by 22, but still, a big round of applause to Malaysia especially Kuek Tianyuan, man of the game. Entire team showed a lot of heart against a far better opponent. Korea must have had like 20 turnovers this game. The fact that you make the Koreans full-court press you in the 4th quarter already indicates that you have won their respect. Jacky Ng must be proud.

greenarcher
08-03-2013, 04:42 AM
Korea parading its twin towers today.

sinobball
08-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Haven't seen the hot "ambassadorettes" today yet (maybe they'll show up during the Iran game hehe), but there were a few cute Korean supporters in the first game, I don't know whether they are Korean or Pinay. One had a sign that read "Kim Tae Sool" in English, is that you CKR13? :)

CKR13
08-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Definitely not me. I am somewhat still disappointed that Park Chan-Hee was cut. But if you see a sign for Zhang Bo, that would be me.

greenarcher
08-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Man India has improved a lot. Grewal is a legit scorer and they now have decent big men. #10 is tall!

Khalid80
08-03-2013, 06:47 AM
First time I watch Satnam playing since the last Asian U18 Championship... He's slightly improving but the 17 year still has a very long way to go even though he's been developing his skills with IMG in the U.S over the last 2 years. I do see this Indian NT improving a lot though. Coach Fleming is working hard on developing a descent NT and good basketball program in India.
Vishesh is a great shooter and seem to be the leader of this young team... Note: 8 players from this Indian NT are born 1990 onwards so that's definitely great for them!

greenarcher
08-03-2013, 06:51 AM
India has improved a lot. This team has a bright future.

ashindia
08-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Disappointed with the performance today, we could have done better.

ashindia
08-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Where do I get to see the pics of this tourney ??

digitalsuperman
08-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Disappointed with the performance today, we could have done better.

don't be disappointed. india did well in this tournament. you have such a young and promising team. india will be a force in asian basketball very soon. kudos to india for a very good basketball program.

Khalid80
08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Where do I get to see the pics of this tourney ??

You can check the official website (but it's not working like 90% of the time unfortunately)... As for your team don't feel bad. You have a nice team which will keep getting better in due time.

http://manila2013.fibaasia.net/

Khalid80
08-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Hayes with 18 points in the 1st quarter vs. Hong Kong :p

They're comparing him with Ron Harper

digitalsuperman
08-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Hayes with 21 points in the 1st quarter vs. Hong Kong :p

i really thought they'd rest Hayes for the HK game. :D

Khalid80
08-03-2013, 08:30 AM
i really thought they'd rest Hayes for the HK game. :D

Since Lebanon isn't playing with them in the group all 3 teams in this group has an extra day off so I think it's fine to play him for some minutes in this game... Coach Wisman can try different plays and lineups for the game as Qatar prepares itself for the tough second round games awaiting them

budz17
08-03-2013, 08:33 AM
crucial game for china later. if they lose, they'll fall to number 3 in their group. if they win, they go number 2.

if yi jian lian does'nt play, iran by 10+

ricodgame
08-03-2013, 09:00 AM
any link for Iran vs China? TIA

CKR13
08-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I wonder who will start in place of Yi? We'll know soon enough.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Li Xiaoxu starting alongside Wang Zhelin. Good rebounding to come.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 09:59 AM
10 points and counting for Bahrami.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
HT Iran up 41-24.

interxavierxxx
08-03-2013, 10:35 AM
It's safe to say Iran did their homework. China's players are struggling and they're relying too much on outside shooting to bail themselves out.

Khalid80
08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
It's safe to say Iran did their homework. China's players are struggling and they're relying too much on outside shooting to bail themselves out.

China without Yi Jianlian is not the same team for sure. His presence would have helped the Chinese NT so much in scoring, rebounding and defense.
Iran were getting so many offensive rebounds and second chances which if Yi was in the lineup we wouldn't have seen as much

darren_simion
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Where is Yi BTW? Injured?

splitzapper
08-03-2013, 10:40 AM
China without Yi Jianlian is not the same team for sure. His presence would have helped the Chinese NT so much in scoring, rebounding and defense.
Iran were getting so many offensive rebounds and second chances which if Yi was in the lineup we wouldn't have seen as much

Which begs the bigger question, how serious is Yi's injury? Also do you think China does not mind who they are going to face in the QF as they feel that they have a significant advantage over anybody in group E.

budz17
08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Which begs the bigger question, how serious is Yi's injury? Also do you think China does not mind who they are going to face in the QF as they feel that they have a significant advantage over anybody in group E.

serious injury if they did'nt let him play. they rest him from now and let him play in the knockout quarterfinals that's six days of rest for him. question is will his injury heal enough. what's his injury by the way?

digitalsuperman
08-03-2013, 11:11 AM
is the chinese team trying to lose in purpose? i don't understand.

splitzapper
08-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Team China scoring less than 50 almost full time in a SR Asian Tournament is something you don't see often.

budz17
08-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Team China scoring less than 50 almost full time in a SR Asian Tournament is something you don't see often.

china getting blown away in asian competition just does'nt happen, until now, against this iran team. no yi jian lian though. preview of semifinals?

Rico101
08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
wow, just wow, this is the first time after so many years have seen china beaten so badly by an asian team

budz17
08-03-2013, 11:40 AM
wow, just wow, this is the first time after so many years have seen china beaten so badly by an asian team

yi did not play. iran manhandled them down low. it would have been a whole lot different if yi played, don't know if they would have won.

haddadi looks slow though.

FrankieJB
08-03-2013, 11:41 AM
serious injury if they did'nt let him play. they rest him from now and let him play in the knockout quarterfinals that's six days of rest for him. question is will his injury heal enough. what's his injury by the way?

I heard it said (by FIBA announcer) that it was hamstrings. Don't know about severity but seemingly Team China was not afraid to lose this one, Giannakis repeating "it's a long tournament"...

mohsena2631
08-03-2013, 11:42 AM

I think you didn't watch 2009 final

sinobball
I only caught the end of the 4th quarter (overslept). Not really too surprised by the score, with or without Yi the Chinese team has not been able to score more than 60 pts a game all summer, except against Malaysia. The huge margin means that even Yi played 100% it wouldn't have made a difference. Can someone provide a box score? (Since the official site is down as always)

splitzapper
I think they were also beaten by IRAN in 2009, in Tianjin by 20 points in the finals. How about a case of both the rest of Asia catching up, while at the same time them rebuilding. Without Wang ZZ, Zhu FY, Wang Shipeng, this is totally a new and young team.

FrankieJB
08-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I only caught the end of the 4th quarter (overslept). Not really too surprised by the score, with or without Yi the Chinese team has not been able to score more than 60 pts a game all summer, except against Malaysia. The huge margin means that even Yi played 100% it wouldn't have made a difference. Can someone provide a box score? (Since the official site is down as always)

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/4142/08/46/70/49etFmkg4C6/
Try and refresh it in quick successions next time, you should be able to access it and find livestats.

kang2
08-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Philippines vs taiwan live streamg _ http://kimchitv.blogspot.com

sixama23
08-03-2013, 12:07 PM
You can check the official website (but it's not working like 90% of the time unfortunately)... As for your team don't feel bad. You have a nice team which will keep getting better in due time.

http://manila2013.fibaasia.net/

Try http://www.fiba.com/spain2014, it provides much easier access to videos & boxscores and works 100% properly.

FrankieJB
08-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Try http://www.fiba.com/spain2014, it provides much easier access to videos & boxscores and works 100% properly.

Eyxaristw file moy, indeed looks much better!

sinobball
08-03-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/4142/08/46/70/49etFmkg4C6/
Try and refresh it in quick successions next time, you should be able to access it and find livestats.
Thanks. Looks like Iran struggled with FG% as well but got about twice as many FTs which was the main difference, also twice as many steals and about twice as many pts in the paint. So I see Wang Zhelin probably got schooled by Haddadi, only 1 rebound in 20 min?

I will reserve other comments after watching the tape. I want to watch the TPE-PHI game first.

Mr. Basketball
08-03-2013, 01:14 PM
First time I watch Satnam playing since the last Asian U18 Championship... He's slightly improving but the 17 year still has a very long way to go even though he's been developing his skills with IMG in the U.S over the last 2 years. I do see this Indian NT improving a lot though. Coach Fleming is working hard on developing a descent NT and good basketball program in India.
Vishesh is a great shooter and seem to be the leader of this young team... Note: 8 players from this Indian NT are born 1990 onwards so that's definitely great for them!

india, which has 1.3 billion people, lost to bahrain, which has 1 million population. then india lost to kazakhstan, which has population of delhi. they are not improving and if anything are getting less competitive in fiba asia. due to 2 factors: one the players lack talent, 2) the federation wont bring in naturalized players/dual citizen players. (in part because there is still no pro league to bring in outside players, and no signs of any league anytime soon.)

the young players are just that, young. they dont have the talent to bridge the gap between india and asian teams, except for beating up sri lanka, thailand, malaysia . etc... the big boys (korea china, etc...) are out of the question.

the big men are not skilled, just tall. the guards arent athletic and skilled enough. vishesh is a solid role player forced to be a international star, which he isnt. india knows satnam is going to have a short career because of his size and the way he runs. they already agreed with IMG that he will only play about 10 mins per game in high school. they want to maximize him, because he may be done playing within a few years.

budz17
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
entertaining first half for taiwan and philippines. end of first quarter taiwan led 30 - 19 then philippines start 2nd quarter with 11-0 run, taiwan responds with 8-0 run then philippines goes back with 9-0 run. end of first half philippines up by 1.

sinobball
08-03-2013, 01:56 PM
1pt game with 6 min left, Lin Chih-chieh already 16p 11a 8r, but probably out of gas which may be the deciding factor

JGX
08-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Norwood/Alapag/Douthit all missing layups late...

FrankieJB
08-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Usual choking by Pinas boys. Lack of guts? Of depth? Bad coaching? Disappointing anyway!

budz17
08-03-2013, 02:20 PM
too bad we lost. bad coaching I guess. they relaxed at the start of the fourth. damn, 13 pt lead just disappeared.

sinobball
08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Usual choking by Pinas boys. Lack of guts? Of depth? Bad coaching? Disappointing anyway!It's a long tournament, and it's still possible that Philippines may get the #1 seed in Group E, since there are some X-factors like Qatar, Japan etc., but looking more unlikely now. I doubt the two teams will meet again in this tourney. If everything goes as planned, China-Philippines for the quarters, while Chinese Taipei now have a clear path to the Final 4 which hasn't happened in as long as I could remember.

interxavierxxx
08-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Usual choking by Pinas boys. Lack of guts? Of depth? Bad coaching? Disappointing anyway!

Bad coaching. Poor decisions by our coach cost us the game. Congrats to Taiwan. They shot the ball well and never gave up. Best of luck for them in the next round.

For us, we need to regroup and play hard in the next round. It doesn't matter who we face in the QF; all teams are hard to beat if you don't play your A-game.

With the way things are going, I predict Iran will win the title this year because they are very consistent and have all the ingredients to succeed.

CKR13
08-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Jordan and Saudi starting. No signs of fatigue for Jordan.

aussieasker
08-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Is Wikipedia correct, are Iran, China and Korea in the same group again in the next stage? Seems like an odd tournament format if that is the case.

sinobball
08-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Is Wikipedia correct, are Iran, China and Korea in the same group again in the next stage? Seems like an odd tournament format if that is the case.What format do you have in mind? This has always been the format and is also the format for the U19 World Championships.

The event is getting more competitive with years but will definitely be more interesting with Australia and NZL in the mix soon.

khaledlebanon
08-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Is Wikipedia correct, are Iran, China and Korea in the same group again in the next stage? Seems like an odd tournament format if that is the case.
They won't play each other again...
Group A + B (top 3 of each group) = E.
Group C + D = F.

Team carry their results from round 1 to round 2, so Iran/Korea and China will play 3 games in 2nd round vs India, Bahrain and Kazakhstan (all easy games).

khaledlebanon
08-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Impressive 1st half from Saudi Arabia!

Saudi Arabia 28 - 26 Jordan HT

The loser in this game will be knocked out from the tournament and will play classification games (13th to 16th).

aussieasker
08-03-2013, 03:22 PM
What format do you have in mind? This has always been the format and is also the format for the U19 World Championships.

The event is getting more competitive with years but will definitely be more interesting with Australia and NZL in the mix soon.
Woops, nevermind... I was thinking that China, Iran and Korea would play eachother again in the next stage. So it's like the U19s where they're in the same group but only play the teams that they didn't play previously?

I'm looking forward to Australia and NZ joining FIBA Asia. It's a bit of a joke to have FIBA Oceania, especially when 50% qualify for the Olympics and 100% for the World Champs.

AlYuson
08-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Bad coaching decision and lack of deep bench as well.

Rico101
08-03-2013, 04:09 PM
tough loss of ph over ct
1. didn't utilize marcus properly, it's like he isn't a factor anymore for gilas
2. they don't slash, keep on passing until they find an open guy for 3

their defense is good, i dunno, wrong decision to coach chot i guess, he should make up his mind and stop doing those subs in the 4th quarter

khaledlebanon
08-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Jordan won by 16 pts, they must now win against Japan and Qatar to make it to the QF

lbj_19
08-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Phil celebrated too early. I don't know what prompted Coach chot to pull out all the 5 guys that was working and inserted all 5 players that were having a bad game against CT's best 5. He hadn't played those 5 all together until that 4q. Became too overconfident, and when he reinserted the 5 that gave the RP the lead the momentum was all on CT's side. Also think that he should've called a TO after the 5-0 run and not when the lead was only 1.

Im sorry to my fellow Pinoys, but I think that is it for our team. I don't see CT being upset by Japan nor Qatar. And if everything goes as planned we will play China in the quarters and I dont think those guys would allow themselves to not be in the worlds.

Rico101
08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Phil celebrated too early. I don't know what prompted Coach chot to pull out all the 5 guys that was working and inserted all 5 players that were having a bad game against CT's best 5. He hadn't played those 5 all together until that 4q. Became too overconfident, and when he reinserted the 5 that gave the RP the lead the momentum was all on CT's side. Also think that he should've called a TO after the 5-0 run and not when the lead was only 1.

Im sorry to my fellow Pinoys, but I think that is it for our team. I don't see CT being upset by Japan nor Qatar. And if everything goes as planned we will play China in the quarters and I dont think those guys would allow themselves to not be in the worlds.

hey men, anything can happen, dont count out qatar and japan on beating taiwan, everyone expected ph will beat taiwan, and everyone also expected china beating kroea, so who knows, maybe the basketball Gods will smile on qatar and japan
and maybe kazkahs could beat china, the tournament is full of suprises
and remember the Jordan NT on 2011, i think there is still hope for gilas

sinobball
08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Jordan won by 16 pts, they must now win against Japan and Qatar to make it to the QFShould be "or", 1 win is enough. Jordan is better than Japan, but Japanese don't easily give up so nothing is guaranteed.

I can only guess how you are feeling as you still check the Asian Champs results religiously but knowing that your team is not there. Actually these teams have not been very impressive and Lebanon if they sent a team could probably beat all of them here. Too bad, very sorry for what happened to your team.

khaledlebanon
08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Should be "or", 1 win is enough. Jordan is better than Japan, but Japanese don't easily give up so nothing is guaranteed.

I can only guess how you are feeling as you still check the Asian Champs results religiously but knowing that your team is not there. Actually these teams have not been very impressive and Lebanon if they sent a team could probably beat all of them here. Too bad, very sorry for what happened to your team.

You're right its Japan or Qatar + Hong Kong.
Jordan will probably end 3rd/4th and have a difficult Quarter Finals vs Iran/Korea.

True, we had a great chance to make the top 3 and qualify to the World Cup. Sadly, we have a foolish federation and clubs that prefer their own benefits over their country's benefits.

Hopefully, we'll be back to compete in 2015.

lakers4sho
08-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and being a overseas fan, I'll admit that I don't get to keep up with the Philippines NT as much as I should.

However, now that the tournament has started, I have been able analyze Gilas a bit after 3 games:

1) What they lack a legitimate go-to scorer. Someone who can put up points when the set offense is failing. Iran has Nikkah Bahrami, Taiwan has Lin, China has Yi Jianlian, and Japan has Kanamaru. These guys can go off anytime they want, and that is a nice asset to have. Marcus Douthit used to be that guy for Gilas, but it is obvious that he is already slowing down. Gabe Norwood has far too many responsibilities to add scoring to that list.

With that in mind, there are at least two guys on the Gilas roster which should not be there: Gary David and Marc Pingris. David is too inconsistent to provide the necessary scoring spark, and he is too big of a defensive liability, as seen in tonight's game, where he was destroyed by Lin in the first 5 or so minutes of the game. He was yanked out of the game and never returned.

Marc Pingris, meanwhile, is in a bit of an awkward spot bc of his size. At 6'5", he is too small to cover international bigs, and he is too slow to defend wing players (since he is used to play bigger guys in the PBA). He doesn't have enough of an offensive game to warrant a spot on the team. I would much rather have Beau Belga take his spot. At least we know that he can defend opposing bigs, and he is a floor spacer on offense. You know what he can provide, while with Ping it's a kind of a hit-or-miss.

2) Chot Reyes is horrible at making in-game adjustments. I don't even know where to begin. We saw in the first 5 minutes of the game that Taiwan's game plan was to speed up the game and run Gilas out of the building. Yet, never did it occur to him, not even once in the game, to slow the tempo down and utilise Quincy Davis's and Ceng's foul trouble. They never attempted to shove the ball to Douthit or whoever in the post and penalise Taiwan's lack of size.

On the contrary, Reyes opted to try to match Taiwan's speed game, and it ended up costing Gilas the game at the end.

A couple of minutes left in the game. Both Quincy Davis and Wen-Ting Ceng are in the game, and Reyes takes out De Ocampo and puts in...Alapag?? Norwood was left to defend a much bigger Ceng, and the game just went down the drain from there.

aymanxp
08-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Full Game : Jordan vs KSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivWdZkKxwII

DarknessFalls
08-04-2013, 01:09 AM
1) What they lack a legitimate go-to scorer. Someone who can put up points when the set offense is failing. Iran has Nikkah Bahrami, Taiwan has Lin, China has Yi Jianlian, and Japan has Kanamaru. These guys can go off anytime they want, and that is a nice asset to have. Marcus Douthit used to be that guy for Gilas, but it is obvious that he is already slowing down. Gabe Norwood has far too many responsibilities to add scoring to that list.

Is Calvin "The Beast" Abueva the missing link?

lakers4sho
08-04-2013, 02:07 AM

Perhaps. But James Yap was also a "scorer" who failed miserably in the international stage. We'll see.

JAMSKIE
08-04-2013, 02:16 AM

Are you suggesting that Calvin Abueva can be our "go-to" scorer in the mold of Bharami, Lin, Yi Jian Lian or Kanamaru? I think Garry David is the closest player in our land to become our "go-to" scorer, but where was he last night?

reamily
08-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Are you suggesting that Calvin Abueva can be our "go-to" scorer in the mold of Bharami, Lin, Yi Jian Lian or Kanamaru? I think Garry David is the closest player in our land to become our "go-to" scorer, but where was he last night?

Lets be fair to Gary, he has been in the nt only from last year and binibreed ang nt star player in his junior years which..

DarknessFalls
08-04-2013, 02:56 AM

No I was simply asking.

DarknessFalls
08-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Perhaps. But James Yap was also a "scorer" who failed miserably in the international stage. We'll see.

Thanks for your answer.

JAMSKIE
08-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Lets be fair to Gary, he has been in the nt only from last year and binibreed ang nt star player in his junior years which..

I think you got a point there pare. That's why I also like the idea of having one or two "young" players in our senior national team. Kahit ba sabihing limited minutes lang ang lalaruin ng mga youth players na yan. I think the experience is what counts the most. I think the likes of Wang Zhizhi, Yi Jian Lian, Samad Bharami, Hamed Hadadi, Fadi El Khatib & even Lin Lin Chih-Chieh started playing for their respective national senior team when they were 19 to 21 years old. Those early years of experience definitely benefited them in the long run.

lakers4sho
08-04-2013, 04:56 AM
Ray Parks anyone?

lbj_19
08-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Ray Parks anyone?

I don't know but right now I am not impressed with ray parks. He is only being groomed because he is a big 3 for our standards but I do feel his game is still lacking. His jump shot is susceptible and not a dead shot. If you talk about offense Romeo is more polished than Parks. Among the Junior players I am more impressed and deserves a spot among Seniors is Ian Sangalang. Impressed by his fundamentals and footwork. More skilled than Greg as well. But does not have the bulk yet.

jonescupfan
08-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Whoa....one loss and you're counting out team Gilas???? Where's the national pride here....Laban Puso!!!!!!

d_viper
08-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Whoa....one loss and you're counting out team Gilas???? Where's the national pride here....Laban Puso!!!!!!

just not yet ...... not yet ......