• Notable Absences for Eurobasket 2013

Sorry I just know the NBA players.

France Mahinmi, Beaubois and Mickael Pietrus

Greece Calathes, Koufus

Spain Pau Gasol

Great Britain Ben Gordon

Italy Gallinari

Germany Nowitzki

Turkey: Enes Kanter (may not be important overall but NBA player)
    Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Comment

Ok, let's see team by team from each group

Group A

Ukraine - O.Pecherov, O.Len, S.Lishchuk

Great Britain - besides Gordon, L.Deng most probably won't play, also there're doubts about few other players

France - J.Noah, R.Turiaf, K.Seraphin, also A.Traore was about to miss it due to injury, but there're hopes that he will join NT if medical tests will be positive

Germany - besides D.Nowitzki, Ch.Kaman, players like J.H.Jagla, T.Ohlbrecht, S.Hamann, Ph.Schwethelm will miss it

Israel - so far looks like no missings, also didn't see their preliminar roster

Belgium - T. van der Spiegel retired

Group B

Lithuania
      - S.Jasaitis, P.Jankunas, S.Jasikevicius

Bosnia and Herzegovina
      - there are some players who weren't called-up or already cut, but besides that no notable missings

FYROM - T.Gecevski retired from NT

Montenegro
      - V.Dragicevic declined invitation

Serbia - V.Micov, N.Velickovic, Z.Erceg, D.Savanovic, M.Macvan, also some other like D.Milicic, M.Tepic, M.Keselj weren't called-up

Latvia - Davis Bertans, also A.Biedrins didn't show up today in 1st NT practise and finally he decided not to play

Group C

Poland - looks like none, some players like Berisha, Dylewicz weren't in preliminar roster

Slovenia - E.Lorbek, then don't know if that should be considered as absentees , but there's no B.Udrih, S.Vujacic, P.Brezec, S.Becirovic

Spain - P.Gasol, S.Ibaka, J.C. Navarro, F.Reyes

Croatia - M.Popovic, Z.Planinic, M.Banic, K.Loncar

Georgia - Z.Pachulia

Czech Republic - didn't see preliminar roster yet

Group D

Greece - K.Koufos, N.Calathes (?)

Russia - A.Kirilenko, S.Kaun, V.Khryapa

Italy - D.Gallinari

Turkey - E.Kanter

Sweden and Finland - so far looks like none

Might have missed some, so everyone is welcome to correct the list. Anyways, this is goin' to be probably the weakest Eurobasket I remember (since 1993 or so)
      Last edited by Mindozas; 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

That's a lot of big names. Maybe most of the teams are transitioning to a new and younger generation of players.

With the exception of Turkey, almost all those who play and who played in the NBA are no longer being considered for their respective NTs.

Maybe Lithuania can go all the way this year. Who are the early favorites? Lithuania? Russia? Turkey? Still Spain?

Comment

Originally posted by greenarcher View Post
          That's a lot of big names. Maybe most of the teams are transitioning to a new and younger generation of players.

With the exception of Turkey, almost all those who play and who played in the NBA are no longer being considered for their respective NTs.

Maybe Lithuania can go all the way this year. Who are the early favorites? Lithuania? Russia? Turkey? Still Spain?
          Eurobasket after Olympics is always full of missings, but this year it has the most I remember. Regarding favorites, it's too early to say, some teams changed coachs, missing leaders, also almost 2 months left, no friendlies were played, there might be new missings, but now it looks as quite competitive tournament: Spain, Greece, France, Lithuania, also you can't underestimate Serbia even with those missings, Montenegro looks like dark horse of the tournament, hosts Slovenia will be dangerous, let's not forget Croatia, Russia, Italy, Turkey, maybe some Balkan team like BiH or FYR Macedonia will surprise as I suppose they should have good support

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            Turkey - E.Kanter - Kerem Tunceri - Cenk Akyol
            They were part of their previous rosters.
            Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Comment

bet365 has Spain 1st, France 2nd, Greece 3rd, Slovenia 4th and Lithuania with Russia joint 5th iirc. Bet on both Lithuania and Russia because 15.00 odds were pretty good

Comment

That list is just painful to look at... I think it's the worst Eurobasket name-wise, worse than 1993 as far as I can recall. Big names like Rađa, Vranković, Giannakis, Fassoulas, Bazarevich, Villacampa, Myers, Kuusmaa, Rigaudeau, Welp, Erdenay, etc. were there.
                Why wasn't Mačvan called?
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                  That list is just painful to look at... I think it's the worst Eurobasket name-wise, worse than 1993 as far as I can recall. Big names like Rađa, Vranković, Giannakis, Fassoulas, Bazarevich, Villacampa, Myers, Kuusmaa, Rigaudeau, Welp, Erdenay, etc. were there.
                  Maybe it's the domino effect? One star chooses not to play, so another one chooses not to play as well, and stars from other countries follow.

Comment

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                    Maybe it's the domino effect? One star chooses not to play, so another one chooses not to play as well, and stars from other countries follow.
                    Yeah I think that is the case... Good point.
                    Also the NBA factor is pivotal here...
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

I wonder if France can go all the way if all their NBA players join the team.

Why is Russia ranked so low this year? They're still pretty strong right? Mozgov, Kirilenko, Shved, Fridzon, Kaun, Monia, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                        He was invited but didn't show up at the gathering...It's funny, our strongest position was supposed to be PF, yet we have 4 absent players on that position (Macvan, Savanovic, Velickovic, Erceg)

P.S. i'd add Micov to the list of notable abscences

Comment

Originally posted by greenarcher View Post
                          I wonder if France can go all the way if all their NBA players join the team.

Why is Russia ranked so low this year? They're still pretty strong right? Mozgov, Kirilenko, Shved, Fridzon, Kaun, Monia, etc.
                          Check the list more carefully Kirilenko, Kaun won't play

Originally posted by Ayrfon View Post
                          He was invited but didn't show up at the gathering...It's funny, our strongest position was supposed to be PF, yet we have 4 absent players on that position (Macvan, Savanovic, Velickovic, Erceg)

P.S. i'd add Micov to the list of notable abscences
                          Added, has him in the list in my PC, but somehow missed him here

Comment

Alex Len (Oleksiy Len) – 2013 NBA Draft (#5) –won’t play for the Ukraine.

A bit off-topic: this year’s Eurobasket is being said to be as bad as the 1993 one. Actually, the German Eurobasket was very interesting: «new» countries, a few excellent players (check the rosters)… The repulsive 1991 Eurobasket is a better term of comparison: 8 teams only; no USSR; the cheapest bronze medal ever (for Spain with just 3 wins: Poland, Bulgaria and a then mediocre France); fourth-place for France with a 1-4 record.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              Check the list more carefully Kirilenko, Kaun won't play
                              The guy didn't know who Navarro is, dude. Last Eurobasket's MVP.. What do you expect?

Fridzon, Khryapa, Kirilenko and Kaun, that is. Let alone, Blatt, who is the most important part of this team. Let alone, Katsikaris just quit yesterday
                              Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information