PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Minnows - Who Will Prevail?

kaiziken_pinas
07-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Let's face it, there are these so-called "minnows" during the FIBA Asia. It can't be helped. It can't be avoided. However, two years ago, Malaysia, despite finishing a lowly 11th, managed to deliver two action packed games against Uzbekistan and India, meaning, these minnows are capable of producing thrilling games. So, in this FIBA Asia, I'm sure you'll agree with me that the minnows are:

Group A - Saudi Arabia
Group B - Hong Kong (yet I'd like to mention that they finished a notch higher compared to Taiwan in the EABA)
Group C - Malaysia (RIP, Condolences, have fun and cherish the moment, it'll be like playing three finals in a row)
Group D - Bahrain, India and Thailand.

Four of these teams (Saudi Arabia and Malaysia are projected to be eliminated) will be relegated to the classification stage after the first round. So, among these teams, which do you think will place the highest?

Projectspeed
07-16-2013, 02:37 AM
I think Bahrain with CJ Giles...
Thailand may also pull surprise...

If CJ Giles will not bring here his night life =) Bahrain will have a good chance, but if not... Thailand will do better...

MD125
07-16-2013, 02:40 AM
HK just because they did very well in a tough tournament like the EABA.

DJMax_06
07-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Let's face it, there are these so-called "minnows" during the FIBA Asia. It can't be helped. It can't be avoided. However, two years ago, Malaysia, despite finishing a lowly 11th, managed to deliver two action packed games against Uzbekistan and India, meaning, these minnows are capable of producing thrilling games. So, in this FIBA Asia, I'm sure you'll agree with me that the minnows are:

Group A - Saudi Arabia
Group B - Hong Kong (yet I'd like to mention that they finished a notch higher compared to Taiwan in the EABA)
Group C - Malaysia (RIP, Condolences, have fun and cherish the moment, it'll be like playing three finals in a row)
Group D - Bahrain, India and Thailand.

Four of these teams (Saudi Arabia and Malaysia are projected to be eliminated) will be relegated to the classification stage after the first round. So, among these teams, which do you think will place the highest?

9th - Japan,Qatar or Taiwan
10th - Jordan,if Dagles and 2 Abbas will not play for them
11th - Bahrain, with naturalized player
12th - India
13th - Thailand
14th - Hongkong
15th - Malaysia
16th - Saudi Arabia

Kazahkstan is very lucky because they can advance easily to quarterfinals unlike to second round of Group A and B. just for my own prediction..

sinobball
08-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Malaysia, man... But I don't think they are worse than the Sri Lankan team in 2009. RIP Jacky Ng Kiat Kee.

All the other teams could actually beat one another, with Saudi Arabia looking the strongest. (Haven't had a chance to watch India or Bahrain.) HK without their top 2 players from the East Asia qualifier (Lo Yi Ting and Liang Man Heung) is probably the 2nd worst team but they actually gave Japan quite a fight.

Bad_Shot
08-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Bahrain will take it with High Difficulty
India will be their biggest Rival.

Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand will be eliminated in the 1st round.
which they will take part in the 12-15 classification match-ups.

Bahrain, India will go in the 2nd round. Obviously taking the 10-11 classification spot.

engwan
08-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Bahrain will take it with High Difficulty
India will be their biggest Rival.

Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand will be eliminated in the 1st round.
which they will take part in the 12-15 classification match-ups.

Bahrain, India will go in the 2nd round. Obviously taking the 10-11 classification spot.

Hongkong doesn't get eliminated because of Lebanon.

Bad_Shot
08-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Hongkong doesn't get eliminated because of Lebanon.

Ah right, I forgot. Then I will revise my Prediction. :D

Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Thailand will be eliminated in the 1st round.
Which they will take part in the 13-15 classification match-ups.

Bahrain, India and Hongkong will go in the 2nd round. Obviously taking the 10-12 classification spot.

sinobball
08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Here's my take on these teams:

Malaysia (15th): The players probably learned something by playing against much better competition. Some of the players are solid, would improve once they got into ABL. Future: probably still a 13th-16th place team unless they get a big man. If they qualify again.

Thailand (14th): Never watched them play. Future: probably still a 13th-16th place team unless they get a big man. If they qualify again.

Saudi Arabia (13th): This team surprised me; they definitely can contend for 10th had they been in a different group. They play a little like Americans, speedy guards with good handles who are also very young. Future: 9th-12th with an outside shot at top 8, especially if they can naturalize a player (which has happened before in their history if I'm not mistaken.)

Hong Kong (likely 12th): Also played better than expected despite losing all games, considering top 2 guards missing. Duncan Reid, though not a terribly good player, makes them much better; the team could be even more improved by naturalizing a tall Mainlander who can speak Cantonese. But they won't do it since placing is not their goal, and it's totally admirable. Future: 13th-16th if they qualify again, but I think they have a better shot at winning against stronger opponents than the Southeast Asian teams.

India (likely 11th): Very much improved despite big losses, from their coach's press conference it seems they have no PG at the moment because the only one got injured. Pretty big frontcourt, energetic athletes too, and that is looking good for the future. They need to get a league going, they get to the line quite a lot but can't convert many. One of the players shoots free throws exactly like Shaq, and is no surprise that I didn't see him make any. Future: 9th-12th with an outside shot at top 8.

Bahrain (likely 10th): Small, but can play basketball, good ball movement under the new coach. Played very well in the 2nd half against China and also in 2nd and 4th quarters against Iran, without their American center who averaged a double double in the group. Had CJ Giles been healthy probably could beat Japan, maybe they can even do it now, I don't know. Future: 9th-12th with a good chance at top 8.

Japan (likely 9th): Disappointing, partially because they are missing players. Can give the better teams a run for money but overall future not looking so good, especially with the return of Lebanon. Future: 9th-12th with a better chance at top 8 than all the other teams mentioned above.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 06:07 AM
India up 59-55 against Japan with six minutes left. Japan is shooting poorly while India has been getting the rebounds with second chance points.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Offense from Tsuji and Sakuragi allowed Japan to take the lead to 7 after India's turnovers. Kanamaru, Sakurai and Kurihara are struggling but Hiejima and Tanaka off the bench sparked the team in the first half.

CKR13
08-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Japan will take this one, but India put up a very good fight that it took a double double from Sakuragi to lift Japan.

ashindia
08-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Leading by 16 pts to losing by 9, again disappointment. Hopefully we can beat Bahrain for 11th place.

Bad_Shot
08-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Leading by 16 pts to losing by 9, again disappointment. Hopefully we can beat Bahrain for 11th place.

Out of Respect with India, this japan team is deffiniely one of the weakest they send so far in FIBA ASIA.
But even with that, I still dont think they could loose to teams such as like India including the other minnow teams.
Well in basketball, there are Bad Nights in everyone's game sometimes.