about name!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about name!

what are traditional ppls name in your country ended with ? i know in italy name are usually ended with vowel a,e,i,u, so i know if it is a italia name , for example bargnani is a italia name.and polish name is usually ended with ski. but dirks name(nowitziki) is ended with zki , is it a usually polish name ? and lithuanian name is usually ended with as and hellas name is usually ended with s . what about your own country ?
    faith in PAOK 06-07
    PAOK WILL WIN!!!!!!WAIT assoyo JOIN!!!!!!!

BadMannovič - any Slavic language :P

Comment

Originally posted by YYY
      BadMannovič - any Slavic language :P
      BadManovski - in Poland

In Poland names are usually ended with ski. And all womens names are ened with letter "A"

Comment

Originally posted by PHILIPeurobasket
        BadManovski - in Poland

In Poland names are usually ended with ski. And all womens names are ened with letter "A"
        what about zki ? so if a germany named ****ski , so he is origine from poland ? just like a poland soccer player in germany soccer team ? if dirk nowtizki is origin from poland ?
        faith in PAOK 06-07

Comment

i know dirks father is a handball player in germany , but in german some charactor s are changed with z , like boys and boyz , so maybe nowitzki is from nowitski , so maybe dirks fathers fathers fathers is from poland ,
          faith in PAOK 06-07

Comment

Names with Slavic roots appear quite often in Germany. Some of them come from Sorbian language - an old Slavic minority in Brandenburg region (Eastern Germany), some must have been introduced from Poland, Bohemia and other Slavic countries.

For instance, looking back at the German soccer squad at this last World Cup, I can remember Nowotny, Podolski, Borowski ... Not to speak about Klose, who has Polish parents (but the name doesn't reveal it clearly).

Comment

In Lithuania, every family name has three forms:
              - The name of a man (or his son).
              - The name of his wife.
              - The name of his daugher.

The endings of the "basic" form (man's name) can be -as, -us, -is, -ys, -a.

The wife's name is formed using the same rule: take away an above-mentioned ending and add -ienė.

The formation of daughter's name (woman's maiden name) depends on particular endings of the "basic form".

Man: Štombergas
              Wife: Štombergienė
              Daughter: Štombergaitė

Man: Jasikevičius
              Wife: Jasikevičienė
              Daughter: Jasikevičiūtė

Man: Sabonis
              Wife: Sabonienė
              Daughter: Sabonytė

Man: Vaškys
              Wife: Vaškienė
              Daughter: Vaškytė

Man: Songaila
              Wife: Songailienė
              Daughter: Songailaitė

This is the traditional forms. But in recent years, more women take on names which are without the above-mentioned suffixes, usually ending in -a or -ė.

The frequent Lithuanian name endings -evičius and -auskas come from Slavic languages - their analogues in Polish are -iewicz and -owski. Hence, beside the Polish name "Lawrynowicz" (which we Lithuanise a bit and spell as "Lavrinovič" or "Lavrinovičius" ) we also have a more Lithuanian form "Laurinavičius". Żukowski - Žukauskas. Stankiewicz - Stankevičius. Etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius123
                Names with Slavic roots appear quite often in Germany. Some of them come from Sorbian language - an old Slavic minority in Brandenburg region (Eastern Germany), some must have been introduced from Poland, Bohemia and other Slavic countries.

For instance, looking back at the German soccer squad at this last World Cup, I can remember Nowotny, Podolski, Borowski ... Not to speak about Klose, who has Polish parents (but the name doesn't reveal it clearly).
                im interested in the polish player in germany soccer team too , but i find all the players that ended with ski are from poland including podolski,and borowski. podolski is a pure polish and i dont know if borowski is a pure polish , i think its not so often in germany peoples name ended with ski , and do you think nowitzki is slavic name ?
                faith in PAOK 06-07

Comment

<...>
                  You forgot to mention one of the wife's forms, when her man's family name is short and ends with -us.

Man: Rimkus
                  Woman: Rimkuvienė
                  Daughter: Rimkutė

Comment

- The name of a man (or his son).
                    - The name of his wife.
                    - The name of his daugher.

The endings of the "basic" form (man's name) can be -as, -us, -is, -ys, -a.

The wife's name is formed using the same rule: take away an above-mentioned ending and add -ienė.

The formation of daughter's name (woman's maiden name) depends on particular endings of the "basic form".

Man: Å tombergas
                    Wife: Å tombergienė
                    Daughter: Å tombergaitė

Man: Jasikevičius
                    Wife: Jasikevičienė
                    Daughter: Jasikevičiūtė

Man: Sabonis
                    Wife: Sabonienė
                    Daughter: Sabonytė

Man: Vaškys
                    Wife: VaÅ¡kienė
                    Daughter: VaÅ¡kytė

Man: Songaila
                    Wife: Songailienė
                    Daughter: Songailaitė

This is the traditional forms. But in recent years, more women take on names which are without the above-mentioned suffixes, usually ending in -a or -ė.

The frequent Lithuanian name endings -evičius and -auskas come from Slavic languages - their analogues in Polish are -iewicz and -owski. Hence, beside the Polish name "Lawrynowicz" (which we Lithuanise a bit and spell as "Lavrinovič" or "Lavrinovičius" ) we also have a more Lithuanian form "Laurinavičius". Żukowski - Žukauskas. Stankiewicz - Stankevičius. Etc. etc.
                    but how to name a sons name ? if his father is named yunas so he is also named yunas ?
                    faith in PAOK 06-07

Comment

i think more german name are ended with man or er for example hamann ,
                      faith in PAOK 06-07

Comment

Originally posted by BadMann
                        but how to name a sons name ? if his father is named yunas so he is also named yunas ?
                        Yes, the son automatically bears the same name as his father.

Comment

Yes, the son automatically bears the same name as his father.
                          oh , thats terrible ,
                          faith in PAOK 06-07

Comment

Originally posted by BadMann
                            oh , thats terrible ,
                            Hm, maybe you didn't get me correctly? I mean family name is the same for the son (while the wives and daughters are called in their special feminine form). The first name (given name) is another matter.

P.S. I guess, the term "first name" can be misleading to Chinese, Japanese, Hungarian and many other people. In this case, I mean the given name.

Comment

Latvian given names and family names have 2 forms (usually, not always)

Andris Biedriņš- man's name
                              Anda Biedriņa(example)- woman's name

Jānis Lācis- man's name
                              Līga Lāce- woman's name

Usually men names and surnames ends with- is, s
                              Women with- a, e

Though also sometimes they can be the same for men and women

Artūrs Irbe- men
                              Aiva Irbe- women

Gatis Rīga- men
                              Daiga Rīga- women

So it's nothing unusual. In the time of the first independence period (1918-1940) it was popular for women to have exactly the same surname as her husband but now it's not.

of course there are some latvianised german surnames
                              Veidenbaums (Weidenbaum)
                              Dunsdorfs (Dunsdorf)
                              Frīdenbergs (Friedenberg)

They come from the time when there was a quite big german minority- from the Baltic crusade (13th century) to the time of independent Latvia (1918-1940)- most of them emigrated to the nazi Germany before the war. Some of them show germans who made their names more latvian style after Latvia got independence because they were affraid that latvians will not like germans who were the dominant nation in latvian territory for 7 centuries but most of them are latvians whose surnames centuries ago were given by the german counts, dukes and others who ruled their villages and often simply gave them similar german surnames cause they couldn't (or it would be the most believable- didn't worried about) creating latvian surnames.

There's also big polish and swedish influence in surnames because they were the rulers of latvian territory some centuries ago, of course also lihuanian and russian.

Oh, we have many latvian versions of scandinavic surnames

Jansons, Karlsons, Kristsons, Ķirsons, Ēriksons (Ericsson) and other. These come from some time ago Swedish ruled Vidzeme (I think there's the same like germans- swedish aristocrats gave latvian poor farmers surnames watching what was who's father's name)
                              Last edited by rusher; 11-23-2006, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information