Andris Biedrins wants to play for Latvia in Eurobasket 07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andris Biedrins wants to play for Latvia in Eurobasket 07

Latvian big man Andris Biedrins has clearly confirmed his willingness to play for the national team at EuroBasket 2007, according to the Latvian Basketball Federation.
    The 212-cm Biedrins, who is currently averaging 8.9 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg as the starting center for the Golden State Warriors, expressed his intentions with Latvian Basketball Federation officials and media.
    Andris Biedrins last played for the national team in 2004.
    He last played for the national team in 2004 as a member of the U18 and U20 team.
    Since being drafted by the Warriors, he has not worn his country’s national team colours and there was doubt about whether he would be available for EuroBasket 2007.
    Latvia, without Biedrins, qualified for EuroBasket 2007 by finishing with a 4-2 record in the qualifying round this past summer.
    Biedrins and Co were handed a tough draw as they will face World Champion and hosts Spain, Croatia and Portugal in Group B to be held in Sevilla.
    Nevertheless, Biedrins is optimistic.
    “There are strong teams in group B, but we also have a good team,” he said.
    “If we will manage to put together our best players, then no one of our opponents can feel certain about victory.”
    Biedrins will try to help Latvia improve on their EuroBasket 2005 performance when they finished with an 0-3 record.

This is a complete quote from a published article. The source should be mentioned and the link provided. JCN.
    Fibaeurope: http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_0K-0R...leMode_on.html
    Last edited by Juan Carlos Nadal; 11-21-2006, 04:47 PM.

Good for Latvia!

Last 4 games in NBA:
    13pts + 15rebs + 2blk
    8pts + 13rebs + 1blk
    9pts + 16rebs + 4blk
    14pts + 12rebs + 2blk

11.0pts + 14.0rebs + 2.3blk.

And he is only 20 years old!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I'm glad he's willing to play for the national team, unlike many others. It should always be like that. Latvia will be stronger with him obviously. He is doing well in the NBA, perhaps he'll become one of the league's top centres in a new future (I hope he does )
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Sorry that I didn't put the link- cause it was copy+paste
        I saw that in another forum with no link added (should've checked the eurobasket though)- and the average numbers also seems to be updated after the last game.

If only Kaspars Kambala from "Fenerbahce Ulker" and "Rytas" player Štelmahers would return to the NT then our NT would be really interesting.
        I hope that Biedrins will play. There's big interview with him in one latvian sports journal but I haven't bought it yet but what I know that he mentions that after this season he can go to the NT because he has his contract and it's not like in his 1st or 2nd season when the team strictly said him what he should or shouldn't do.
        I think if he can overcome his personal problems with Sandis Valters (Valter's wife left Sandis and went to Biedrins) and they both concentrate on their game then it should be good. It hasn't affected Biedrins game because he is now much better as he was before but Valters game has gone down and he isn't that nightmare he was in the game against Spain in Eurobasket 05.
        Last edited by rusher; 11-21-2006, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Endym
          Good for Latvia!
          And he is only 20 years old!!!
          That's the best part. Now he plays his 3rd NBA season and many people in Latvia could think that he's like a NBA veteran now ( No, not the veteran but still- maybe 25, 27 years old ) but actually he's only 20 and his best years are still to come- and now there will be young and promising 21 year old rokies next year but he'll play his 4th season already.

Comment

So it's confirmed that Kambala and Stelmahers won't play? What are their reasons? They are still top players and in their prime, so they would help a lot. I saw Kambala play in Euroleague and he is a monster in the paint. Imagine him and Biedrins together on the court!

That situation with the wife of Valters...man what a bitch! I don't know if I could pass the ball to a guy that did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
              So it's confirmed that Kambala and Stelmahers won't play? What are their reasons? They are still top players and in their prime, so they would help a lot. I saw Kambala play in Euroleague and he is a monster in the paint. Imagine him and Biedrins together on the court!
              Kambala has some issues with Muižnieks. Though it's still unknown he will or will not play in Eurobasket.
              Stelmahers wanted to focus only on his club after Eurobasket 03. Some players retired from the NT after that dissapointing championship (Tough games with Lithuania and Germany but at the end dissapointing and big loss to Israel). I doubt he'll return.

Originally posted by Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
              That situation with the wife of Valters...man what a bitch! I don't know if I could pass the ball to a guy that did that.
              Yeah, that was pretty bad what Biedrins did. But I think Valters marriage wasn't good at all. They looked very happy when they were shown in ''Basketbola Pasaule'' (Basketball World) show but in reality it seems they weren't happy. But still Biedrins did wrong (Maybe because his age he went after the woman who only wanted to get the man with more money)

Comment

31 points (14-17 fg) & 10 rebounds wow in the loss againts Nuggets, tonight.
                5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

I really hope we get to see both Kambala and Biedrins there! As I write this Biedrins just scored 31 pts and grabbed 10 rebs against Denver! He sure is coming along!

Edit: Sariss just beat me to it by one second! On the buzzer!

Comment

Originally posted by sariss
                    31 points (14-17 fg) & 10 rebounds wow in the loss againts Nuggets, tonight.
                    What a night for him!
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Quote from todays papers:

"All he does is play and make simple decisions," Nelson said of Biedrins. "I wish I had nine of them like him. He might be the best center I ever coached. That's a lot to say for a young kid, but this kid is special."

Comment

As the Warriors end the Jazz's 8-game winning streak, another great game for Biedriņš: 14 pts + 17 rebs + 5 blocks

Don Nelson is a great coach and very talented to work with youngsters and help them develope their best.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

and Biendrins keeps on rolling: 18 points, 15 rebounds and 6 blocks in a win against the Spurs, last night. Kevin Martin has some competition for MIP.

Comment

And what was the best in the last game:

Duncan Layup Shot: Missed Block: Biedrins (4 BLK) 8:53

Team Timeout: Regular 8:37
                            Barry Substitution replaced by Oberto 8:37
                            Duncan Layup Shot: Missed Block: Biedrins (5 BLK) 8:19
                            Team Rebound 8:19
                            Duncan Layup Shot: Missed Block: Biedrins (6 BLK) 8:14

Comment

He's becoming a great player indeed! He might as well become the MIP, yeah
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information