PDA

View Full Version : Fabricio Oberto's a Perfect 11-11 Against the Suns

stuart
11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
From FoxSports: source (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6152582?print=true)

Slumping Suns fall in OT to Spurs
SAN ANTONIO (AP) - With flowing strands of hair held back only by a skinny fabric band, Spurs center Fabricio Oberto sometimes makes coach Gregg Popovich wince with the way he bounces and bumbles over the basketball court.

"He's the ugliest productive player I've ever been around," Popovich said. "He looks like a bull in a china shop out there."

Tony Parker led San Antonio with 29 points, while the 6-foot-10 Oberto added 22 on 11-of-11 shooting to lead the Spurs to a 111-106 overtime victory over the struggling Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night.

The Spurs (4-1) scored 10 of the first 12 points in overtime. Tim Duncan added 26 points and 14 rebounds.

Oberto, a native of Las Varillas, Argentina, also added 10 rebounds for his first career double-double. One of those rebounds came with 35 seconds left on Boris Diaw's miss when the Suns were trying to cut San Antonio's lead to three points.

The Suns (1-4) went 2-of-6 from the floor during overtime. San Antonio hit 5-of-7.

Steve Nash had 20 points and 11 assists for his fifth double-double of the season. Raja Bell added 20 points for the Suns, who visit the Dallas Mavericks, their Western Conference finals foe from last season, on Thursday.

It's the Suns' worst start since losing 13 straight to open the 1996-97 season.

Both teams had chances to win at the end of regulation. Phoenix had the better shot when Bell hit a 3-pointer to cut San Antonio's lead to one point with 7 seconds left.

The Suns got the ball back by fouling Duncan and sending him to the free throw line, where he missed both shots.

Phoenix called time and inbounded to Bell, who drove the lane and was fouled by Oberto before he was able to get his shot off with 1.5 seconds left.

Bell made the first free throw before missing the next, leaving Duncan to miss a halfcourt shot as the buzzer sounded.

"We had a great shot at winning this game," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "This was definitely a disappointing loss for our team. I consider tonight to be the first of many baby steps to be taken throughout the season."

The Suns led by nine points with 5:28 left in regulation. In their previous losses - all on the road - Phoenix has had leads of 19, 15 and nine points.

San Antonio has found some energy with Oberto, who signed as a 30-year-old rookie free agent with the Spurs last year. He cracked the starting lineup this season after Rasho Nesterovic was traded to Toronto and Nazr Mohammed was lost to Detroit through free agency.

"He does all the fundamentals and all the basics," Popovich said, "and he really knows how to play the game."

With Phoenix trailing by two, Oberto made an easy basket underneath on a pass from Duncan with 2:33 left in overtime that started a streak of six straight Spurs points to end the game.

"We are knowing more of each other every game we play," Oberto said of playing with Duncan. "I just try to get to the empty spot under the basket and hope he is going to see me."

Saskibaloia
11-09-2006, 10:11 PM
The man's a quality player. Hopefully, he'll be able to blossom before he retires. Should he be the starting centre for the Spurs until the end of the season or would you prefer to have Francisco Elson?

rikhardur
11-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Oberto for sure. He's a lot better play than Elson, more mobility and more "will" imo. Actually I've always found Elson a bit "crappy" so to speak (no offense to those who like his game).

Edgar Lopez
11-10-2006, 12:44 AM
JUdging from watching Elson play last year with the nuggs i think Mr oberto should start

Jokinen
11-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Oberto's perfect night by Tonycba, this guy makes greats videos, Duncan dances twist and shout :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3g1DHWme2o&mode=user&search=

rikhardur
11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Oberto's perfect night by Tonycba, this guy makes greats videos, Duncan dances twist and shout :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3g1DHWme2o&mode=user&search=
Nice video :)
I just hope Oberto get's a boost of confidence after that game and keeps going like this.

stuart
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I like Elson, I think he and Oberto are pretty similiar. Oberto is more skilled, but they're roles are similiar on the Spurs, give them energy and get the dirty work done down in the paint. Popovich seems to like Oberto more than Elson, he is no-nonsense, unspectacular and is a team player, not to mention more efficient offensively and rarely turns the ball over -- I don't think Oberto is ever going to be a superstar or anything like that, esp with Tony Parker, Duncan and Ginobili on the team, but he can be much like Bowen-- play a large role in the Spurs run this year. Though I think it's against Oberto's nature, he would be even more valuable to the Spurs if he were more the enforcer-type.

Stuart

Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
11-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Oberto is good and is a clever passer, but Elson will be very important later especially in the playoffs. The Spurs won two championships with the twin towers of Duncan and Robinson defending the paint. Elson will be better suited to guard Stoudamire, Nowitzki, Brand/Kaman or even Shaq/Mourning in the playoffs.

The Watcher
11-15-2006, 01:52 AM
An interview with Oberto, I found this article on Nba.com.

In His Words: Fabricio Oberto By: Mauricio Mendoza
Posted Nov 13 2006 12:13PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook

Fabricio Oberto is now part of the starting lineup for the San Antonio Spurs. He has slowly gained his coachís and teammateís trust and in only six games, heís broken a franchise record shooting 11 of 11 from the field in the teamís victory against the Suns last week.

His numbers and game minutes have tripled during this seasonís first two weeks of action in comparison to this same time last year. He expects to continue his protagonist role and is thrilled about the responsibility and participation that his team has trusted him with. Fabricio spoke with NBA.com about his current status in the league.

How has it felt to be a starter during the first two games of the season?
Whatís important is that Iíve had more responsibilities and increased participation. I have had the opportunity to add more game minutes, which has enabled me to gain confidence on the court with the teamís structure and my teammates.

After spending a very competitive summer with the Argentine National Team, how do you feel physically to play 82 regular season games?
I always try to take care of myself to be in the best physical shape possible. There are a lot of players that also played in the World Championship and are now playing in the league. In fact, some of them play more minutes than I do, so my situation is not exclusive or different. Thatís why I have to work hard every day to stay in shape and keep my mind focused on the game.

Do you feel like you benefited from Nazr Mohammedís exit from the team? Do you feel like youíre being challenged to replace him?
I think we lost an important player, and weíve gotten new players since then, so Iím just happy to have the opportunity to increase my participation with the team in the hopes that itís for the teamís success.

After your first season playing in the NBA, do you feel youíre at 100 percent with the teamís playing structure/system?
Well Iím improving every day. While you canít memorize every single offensive and defensive play, I think that you have to always try to improve and not conform to what you already. Instead, you should try to look for better ways to do things.

What is your relationship with Tim Duncan like?
Very good, both on and off the court, and weíre getting to know each other better each day. I think that at every training session you begin to better understand where you should be to become more efficient and where your teammates are. This is essential.

Las year you couldíve made it to the finals again. How did you face the teamís elimination against Dallas in the 2005-06 season?
Without a doubt you always try to get as far as possible, especially considering the fact that we were the defending champions last year. But things didnít work out, thatís why this year, thereís an even bigger motivation to capture the title. Weíre working hard to make it all the way.

In the NBA.com General Manager Survey, the Spurs were selected as the favorite team to win this yearís Championship. How much pressure does this place on the team?
I think that you pressure yourself, but to be honest, there are plenty of other teams that have the opportunity to win the title and that one way or another have benefited from player trade during the summer.

Do you follow your fellow Argentines in the league - Nocioni, Delfino and Hermann?
Of course, every time I have the opportunity I follow them. I try to watch their games when we donít play that night. I always wish them the best and hope that theyíll do very well, except when they play against us.

Do you think that youíre party of an unmatched generated of Argentina players?
No, but the truth is that I think weíve accomplished important milestones for basketball in our country. In the last three tournaments weíve placed among the best four in the world, two finals, and thatís definitely important. But the most difficult part is maintaining that level and whatís to come. The new players have to work hard to continue that level and keep basketball in Argentina in the best position.

Is Manu still an important support system for you on and off the court?
I think that heís a good friend and a special player for this team. Heís still a great help to me, heís always giving me advice whenever he can.

What do you think about the new NBA game basketball?
I think that itís good. When I was in Europe we were often changing balls. I think this ball has a different grip, but a very comfortable feel.

muba
02-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Oberto is a GREAT basketball player. I could see this game and I was so happy cause he is the perfect combination for Duncan. Hard work in defense, nice moves in ofense and SILENCE PLAYS that allways help to win.