PDA

View Full Version : FIBA to propose 3x3 basketball as an Olympic event

qiangdade
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
FIBA secretary general plans to propose 3x3 basketball as an Olympic event as soon as in Rio 2016 (http://t.co/fND2H90g)

Levenspiel
03-04-2019, 11:33 AM
not for Rio 2016, but this is officially happening in Tokyo 2020.

Eight teams will qualify for the Olympic 3x3 men's basketball tournament. Four teams will qualify based on the 1 November 2019 world ranking list.

Mindozas
06-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Watched few days of current World Cup and have no idea, how on earth it made it to Olympics. The level of basketball is so low. Once average at best in Europe player like Robbie Hummel came and almost alone destroyed Serbian team, who is highest ranked team in the world, but watching them play it feels that it can't be true, absolutely nothing special. Refereeing horrible. You can step over the line, travel, foul - who cares. I've played 3x3 and still do at times, so know that more contact is allowed there, but even some so obvious fouls aren't called... Disappointed

JGX
06-21-2019, 03:37 AM
Serbian team, who is highest ranked team in the world, but watching them play it feels that it can't be true, absolutely nothing special.

But I just learned today that Dusan Bulut is the "Serbian Michael Jordan"!!
https://www.tmz.com/2019/06/20/ice-cube-dusan-bulut-big-3-serbian-michael-jordan/

I've watched a lot of the US 3x3 games in FIBA Tournaments going back to the "33" tournament at the Youth Olympics in Singapore, and while it is fun to watch a few games a year as a novelty I think the overwhelming response when people see 3x3 in Tokyo is going to be "who the fuck are these guys and why are they in the Olympics?". The top teams aren't that good, there are no marketable star players, no one believes that NBA/Euroleague players with a little bit of practice wouldn't destroy the competition.

JGX
06-23-2019, 06:01 PM
US just won the World Cup, so I take back everything I said and look forward to seeing the Legends of Ivy League Basketball plus Robbie Hummel claim their gold medals next summer.

JGX
10-09-2019, 01:11 AM
The qualifying system was announced:

There will be 3 ways to qualify for the 3x3 event of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics:

Via the FIBA 3x3 Federation Ranking (4 spots per gender)

Via an Olympic Qualifying Tournament (3 spots per gender)

Via a Universality Olympic Qualifying Tournament (1 spot per gender)

After consultation with the IOC, it was agreed to grant an automatic ticket to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics to the Japanese national team (men or women) who ranks highest in the FIBA 3x3 Federation Ranking. The team of the other gender will get an automatic ticket to the Olympic Qualifying Tournament and, if not yet qualified, to the Universality Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

On November 1, 2019, FIBA will announce the first 8 teams (4 per gender) qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics during a livestreamed ceremony, which will take place in Utsunomiya on the eve of the FIBA 3x3 World Tour Final.

These teams will be the 4 highest-placed countries per gender in the FIBA 3x3 Federation Ranking, except if Japan does not rank in the Top 4 in any gender. In this case their highest-ranked team will get a spot instead of the 4th best team in that category. Note that a maximum of 2 teams per gender can come from the same continent.

The first Olympic Qualifying Tournament will be staged in March 2020 and will feature 40 teams (20 per gender), qualified via the FIBA 3x3 Federation Ranking (taking into account universality criteria) or the FIBA 3x3 World Cup 2019 (the medalists). A total of 6 tickets (3 per gender) to the Olympics will be granted at the end of the event.

The Universality Olympic Qualifying Tournament will offer a chance to win the last 2 tickets (1 per gender) to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Twelve teams (6 per gender) will qualify, based on the FIBA 3x3 Federation Ranking and subject to not having been represented in Basketball (irrespectively men or women) in the past 2 editions of the Olympic Games. This reflects one of 3x3’s missions to bring basketball to countries, which are not traditional basketball powerhouses.

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/olympic-qualification-system-for-3x3-basketball-at-tokyo-2020-confirmed

This seems pretty sensible except for the fact that the rankings do not have much to do with actual results in international competition.

The main qualifying tournament will be held in India.

basketballpro
10-19-2019, 04:33 AM
The qualifying system was announced:

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/olympic-qualification-system-for-3x3-basketball-at-tokyo-2020-confirmed

This seems pretty sensible except for the fact that the rankings do not have much to do with actual results in international competition.

The main qualifying tournament will be held in India.

Proud to be an indian making this happen :)

Cheers!!

JGX
11-03-2019, 07:19 AM
FIBA announced the auto qualifiers and qualifying tournament draw:
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/3x3/2020/news/historic-day-for-fiba-as-first-8-qualified-teams-announced-for-3x3-basketball%E2%80%99s-debut-at-tokyo-2020-olympics

Mongolia the best at gaming the rating system. What happened to Andorra? Canadian women got screwed. No idea who will play for the US women in March since both college and pro players will be busy.

Mindozas
11-03-2019, 11:34 AM
FIBA announced the auto qualifiers and qualifying tournament draw:
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/3x3/2020/news/historic-day-for-fiba-as-first-8-qualified-teams-announced-for-3x3-basketball%E2%80%99s-debut-at-tokyo-2020-olympics

Mongolia the best at gaming the rating system. What happened to Andorra? Canadian women got screwed. No idea who will play for the US women in March since both college and pro players will be busy.

And what is the system of qualies? Kinda hard to find it. If only group winners will make it to next round, then being with USA in one group is not the best scenario for us.

Mindozas
11-13-2019, 11:37 AM
And what is the system of qualies? Kinda hard to find it. If only group winners will make it to next round, then being with USA in one group is not the best scenario for us.

So two best teams from each group will qualify to next round, then B will meet D, and A vs C. That's how it looks like from some interviews we've got from Lith side. But still nothing official about play-offs brackets

Servinio
01-09-2020, 09:12 AM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/img_20190901_164654.jpg?w=300&h=225 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2020/01/09/pilipinas-3x3-goes-to-india/)

CHOOKS TO GO Pilipinas 3X3 has officially announced the pool of players that will vie for spots on the national team for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament starting this March 18 in India. Heading the roster are the country’s two highest ranked players in Joshua Munzon and Alvin Pasaol. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2020/01/09/pilipinas-3x3-goes-to-india/)

JGX
02-08-2020, 05:53 AM
USA training camp rosters for the OQT:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2020/02/3x3-oqt-training-camp-rosters.aspx

JGX
06-24-2020, 02:30 AM
Qualifying tournament now scheduled for Austria in May 2021:
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/3x3/2020/oqt/news/austria-to-host-fiba-3x3-olympic-qualifying-tournament-in-may-2021

propoly
08-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Is this 3x3 event instead of or as well as?

apexandy
01-18-2021, 08:30 PM
Not sure any of it will go ahead even in 2021 :(

Hepcat
02-21-2021, 02:52 PM
So I understand that Serbia, Russia, China and Japan have already qualified for the Men's event while Russia, China, Mongolia and Romania have already qualified for the Women's event. Not that I can understand why those particular teams have qualified since the Olympics are in Japan and the U.S.A. won the most recent FIBA World Cup for Men in 2019.

The remaining teams will be determined from the following groups at a pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournament which will take place in Graz, Austria from May 26 to May 30:

http://www.fiba.basketball/images.fiba.com/Graphic/C/C/F/E/fKfTPK2XbE-RL3gONTJa-Q.jpg?v=20200623144243294

:)

JGX
02-21-2021, 07:24 PM
So I understand that Serbia, Russia, China and Japan have already qualified for the Men's event while Russia, China, Mongolia and Romania have already qualified for the Women's event. Not that I can understand why those particular teams have qualified since the Olympics are in Japan and the U.S.A. won the most recent FIBA World Cup for Men in 2019.

They are trying to limit the number of countries that qualify in both the men's and women's tournaments and the FIBA 3x3 rankings do not have much connection to results in national team competition. At one point Andorra was among the top-ranked countries.

See this about the Canadian women, who would obviously be one of the top teams:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/canadas-womens-3x3-team-devastated-left-olympic-qualifiers/

Hepcat
02-21-2021, 10:41 PM
They are trying to limit the number of countries that qualify in both the men's and women's tournaments and the FIBA 3x3 rankings do not have much connection to results in national team competition. At one point Andorra was among the top-ranked countries.

Do you know how many teams in all will be competing in the Mens' 3x3 Event at the Olympics?

:confused:

See this about the Canadian women, who would obviously be one of the top teams:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/canadas-womens-3x3-team-devastated-left-olympic-qualifiers/

Bloody FIBA! You know this is all about expanding awareness of the game to places that don't give a damn for it now.

:mad:

Hepcat
02-22-2021, 04:36 PM
So I guess only three Men's teams and three Women's teams will make it to the Olympics from the Qualifying Tournament in Austria. One more crap team will then be able to qualify to provide geographical diversity. Therefore the Olympic 3x3 Event will include only eight teams for each sex.

:(

Hepcat
02-23-2021, 04:35 PM
Since the games last no longer than ten minutes, the teams will be playing two games per day at the Olympics. Why therefore the number of teams participating in the Olympics will be limited to eight is incomprehensible.

Hepcat
03-12-2021, 11:43 PM
(Three) teams will be determined from the following groups at a pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournament which will take place in Graz, Austria from May 26 to May 30:

http://www.fiba.basketball/images.fiba.com/Graphic/C/C/F/E/fKfTPK2XbE-RL3gONTJa-Q.jpg?v=20200623144243294

In the Men's Pool B Kazakhstan will be replacing New Zealand which has elected to withdraw from the tournament due to financial and other problems.

YixingLao
03-17-2021, 07:19 AM
In Rio 2016? Or, do you mean Tokyo 2020? I think that is dubious info. In fact, the proposal only arose in 2017. You are a bit a year ahead than most of us mate (kidding!). Anyway, I do like your topic because considering the nature of 3 on 3 and the league that will host it, the majority of fans also think that including it in the upcoming season and roster of games is a joke. But then again, and at the end of the day, the Olympics is also an entertainment platform — a grand, prestigious entertainment platform. Still and all, 3 on 3 is still a game based on skills and strength.

Hepcat
04-16-2021, 04:22 PM
In Rio 2016? Or, do you mean Tokyo 2020?

The discussion in this thread has been all about the Olympics that will be held in Tokyo in the summer of 2021.

not for Rio 2016, but this is officially happening in Tokyo 2020.

Hepcat
05-20-2021, 06:31 PM
An interesting 3x3 tournament, the Lipik Challenger, will take place in Lipik, Croatia tomorrow and Saturday:

Lipik Challenger 2021 - Teams (https://worldtour.fiba3x3.basketball/2021/challengers/lipik/teams)

I'm particularly interested in seeing how the Edmonton team of Jordan Jensen-Whyte, Alex Johnson, Kyle Landry and Steve Sir will play and therefore whether Team Canada is a real contender to secure an Olympic berth in Graz, Austria next week.

Hepcat
05-22-2021, 02:54 AM
So Basketball Canada has announced that the Edmonton team of Jordan Jensen-Whyte, Alex Johnson, Kyle Landry and Steve Sir will represent Canada at next week's Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Graz and will also represent Canada at the Olympics if successful in qualifying.

Hepcat
05-22-2021, 07:37 PM
Well Edmonton(Team Canada) wasn't particularly impressive at the Lipik Challenger. The same Antwerp team of Bryan De Valck, Nick Celis, Thierry Marien and Thibaut Vervoort which finished eighth in the Pro Category of Stop 2 of the Lithuanian Championships in Garliava two weeks ago knocked off Edmonton 18-15 in the quarterfinals.

Edmonton did beat Bielefeld of Germany 21-18 in first round action but Bielefeld finished way back in tenth out of twelve teams at the ULE Tournament in St. Petersburg over the first three weekends of April.

Antwerp surprised me by going on to win the tournament championship. Antwerp prevailed 20-18 in the final over the San Juan team which also did a lot better than I expected:

Lipik Challenger (https://worldtour.fiba3x3.basketball/2021/challengers/lipik/games)

:eek:

JGX
05-23-2021, 05:26 PM
At the "Big 12" tournament in France, Serbia beat the US 21-9 in the men's final, while the US women held off a late rally from France B for a 20-19 championship win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SumlcXXhoU

Hepcat
05-24-2021, 04:27 PM
Interesting! The other teams in the Men's competition were the Dominican Republic, France, Hungary, Israel, Qatar, Russia and Ukraine.

Hepcat
05-26-2021, 05:40 PM
The U.S. team at the Graz Qualifying Tournament will consist of Robbie Hummel (Princeton), Kareem Maddox (Princeton), "Disco Domo" Jones (NY Harlem) and Joey King (NY Harlem). Joey King it seems is a last minute replacement for Canyon Barry, the son of NBA legend Rick Barry.

The team had a training camp in Orlando earlier this year and they've been training in another one in Los Angeles since May 1st. The United States is therefore taking the Olympic 3x3 event very seriously.

Hepcat
05-26-2021, 11:17 PM
I have a number of gripes with respect to how the whole Olympic 3x3 Tournament has been set up.

First of all, the stated objective of FIBA is to grow the game internationally by expanding into more countries. Why then can only eight teams per sex qualify for the Olympics? In some tournaments teams play as many as five of these ten minute games per day. FIBA could easily have arranged for an Olympic tournament with four groups of four teams per sex.

Secondly, I can understand Japan the host country automatically qualifying. And on the Men's side Serbia and Russia are also pre-qualified as the country's with the two highest ranking Federations in late 2019 (very luckily in Russia's case since Russia finished a miserable sixteenth at the 2019 World Cup and ninth at the 2019 Europe Cup). But China is also pre-qualified! Why? China is miserable at 3x3! What did China do, pay FIBA off? Why is FIBA kissing China's ass again?

The United States finished first at the 2019 World Cup. You would think that would have pre-qualified the United States. But no, it's China that's somehow pre-qualified.

Thirdly, prior to the Qualifying Tournament I thought that Latvia, the United States, Lithuania and the Netherlands had the four best Men's teams ( I may of course be wrong). And after the preliminary round robin I would have expected playoff pairings of Group A versus Group B and Group C versus Group D. Failing that for a different symmetry Group A versus Group D and Group B versus Group C. But no. Somehow FIBA decided to pair Group A versus Group C and Group B versus Group D in the first round of the playoffs. WTF?! This means that the four best teams are likely to be matched against each other in the QFs and two will be eliminated.

Finally if they fail in this tournament, I see that the Men's teams of Latvia, the Netherlands and Slovenia will get another chance to grab the eighth and final qualifying slot in a Universality Qualifying Tournament for countries that weren't in the Olympic basketball tournaments for either sex in 2012 and 2016. But no second chance for the United States, Lithuania or Canada. Ugggghhhh!!!

JGX
05-27-2021, 01:22 AM
I have a number of gripes with respect to how the whole Olympic 3x3 Tournament has been set up.

Me too!

First of all, the stated objective of FIBA is to grow the game internationally by expanding into more countries. Why then can only eight teams per sex qualify for the Olympics? In some tournaments teams play as many as five of these ten minute games per day. FIBA could easily have arranged for an Olympic tournament with four groups of four teams per sex.

It's up to the IOC how many teams/athletes can compete at the Olympics, FIBA doesn't really have control here. More athletes means more of a burden on the organizers in terms of housing and facilities.

That said, FIBA has been reducing the size of their own 3x3 events since their inception, and that's really a shame, since a big advantage of the format IMO is that with smaller teams, outdoor half-courts, and shorter games, you can have more participating teams. Instead the teams play four ten-minute games spread over four days! I'm sure that FIBA has their reasons for cutting down the number of teams and limiting their events to one court (they used to have four courts going simultaneously) but it is disappointing.

Secondly, I can understand Japan the host country automatically qualifying. And on the Men's side Serbia and Russia are also pre-qualified as the country's with the two highest ranking Federations in late 2019 (very luckily in Russia's case since Russia finished a miserable sixteenth at the 2019 World Cup and ninth at the 2019 Europe Cup).

The rankings are total crap and it discredits all the international tournaments. Just a few years ago Andorra was one of the top-ranked countries, even though they were not actually any good.

I am enjoying Mongolia's success though.

The United States finished first at the 2019 World Cup. You would think that would have pre-qualified the United States. But no, it's China that's somehow pre-qualified.

Thirdly, prior to the Qualifying Tournament I thought that Latvia, the United States, Lithuania and the Netherlands had the four best Men's teams ( I may of course be wrong). And after the preliminary round robin I would have expected playoff pairings of Group A versus Group B and Group C versus Group D. Failing that for a different symmetry Group A versus Group D and Group B versus Group C. But no. Somehow FIBA decided to pair Group A versus Group C and Group B versus Group D in the first round of the playoffs. WTF?! This means that the four best teams are likely to be matched against each other in the QFs and two will be eliminated.

Finally if they fail in this tournament, I see that the Men's teams of Latvia, the Netherlands and Slovenia will get another chance to grab the eighth and final qualifying slot in a Universality Qualifying Tournament for countries that weren't in the Olympic basketball tournaments for either sex in 2012 and 2016. But no second chance for the United States,

Everything about the qualifying setup is nonsensical. The Canadian women raised their own money to travel the world in 2019 playing in the FIBA 3x3 women's series that offered no prize money, won four of seven tournaments...and don't even get to play in the Olympic qualifiers. Meanwhile, Uruguay, who went winless at the 2019 Pan Am Games 3x3, has a spot.

Hepcat
05-27-2021, 12:26 PM
Damn! With under two minutes to go:

LTU 20 USA 16

But then nothing further drops on LTU's following four possessions, a slip by Darius Tarvydas, and a two by Joey King with less than twenty seconds to go and:

USA 21 LTU 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdfYC799c7A

Damn! Damn! Damn!

Hepcat
05-28-2021, 05:23 PM
Canada 18 Croatia 14
Canada 17 Netherlands 15

So Canada knocked off the Netherlands which I regarded among the top four favourites pre-tournament! That sets the table for a big game for first place in the group against Latvia tomorrow at 18:40 Austrian time.

:cool:

Mindozas
05-29-2021, 07:41 AM
That was a group of death with Latvia, Dutch and Canada, so someone had to go home.

So far no big surprises. But one thing is quite sure that bracket side with B and D groups is much better one. It's a tough luck that someone from USA, Latvia, Lithuania, Canada will already go down in 1/4. All 4 could easily end up in semis as A+C side with France, Poland, Slovenia or Brazil doesn't look too convincing to me, but at least one of them will qualify

Hepcat
05-29-2021, 12:52 PM
So far no big surprises. But one thing is quite sure that bracket side with B and D groups is much better one. It's a tough luck that someone from USA, Latvia, Lithuania, Canada will already go down in 1/4.

Unfortunately two of those teams must be knocked out before the SFs. And that is just very wrong.

Hepcat
05-29-2021, 02:10 PM
Wow!

Belgium 20 U.S.A. 16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jnTXBOxx34

But Belgium gets jobbed by the tie breaking system and is eliminated from the playoffs.

And looking at the points scored tie breakers, Lithuania and the United States are tied. Who therefore gets awarded first place? Looking at point differential, Lithuania should get first.

JGX
05-29-2021, 04:11 PM
Wow!
And looking at the points scored tie breakers, Lithuania and the United States are tied. Who therefore gets awarded first place? Looking at point differential, Lithuania should get first.

Point differential is not a factor in 3x3 tiebreakers, only points scored. US gets first place in the group, either because of the head-to-head win over Lithuania or because of being the higher seed(!), it is not totally clear from the tiebreaker procedure.

Hepcat
05-29-2021, 07:58 PM
Agggghhhh!!!

Austria 19 Canada 16

Canada therefore drops to a 2-2 record together with the Netherlands and Austria. The first tiebreaker though is total points scored over all four games:

Netherlands 71
Canada 67
Austria 66

Canada therefore finishes third behind 4-0 Latvia and 2-2 Netherlands and Canada fails to make the playoffs.

Hepcat
05-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Point differential is not a factor in 3x3 tiebreakers, only points scored. US gets first place in the group, either because of the head-to-head win over Lithuania or because of being the higher seed(!), it is not totally clear from the tiebreaker procedure.

Looking at the total points scored tiebreaker for the three 3-1 teams in Group B:

United States 80
Lithuania 80
Belgium 77

If we look at just total points scored in the three games involving these teams it's the same picture:

United States 37
Lithuania 37
Belgium 36

The United States is very lucky that the tie breaker used in regular FIBA basketball tournaments wasn't applied, that being point differential in the three games involving these teams:

Belgium +3
Lithuania 0
United States -3

But it is what it is now. Tomorrow's QF pairings are:

Poland - Slovenia
Latvia - Lithuania
United States - Netherlands
France - Brazil

JGX
05-30-2021, 01:10 AM
The United States is very lucky that the tie breaker used in regular FIBA basketball tournaments wasn't applied, that being point differential in the three games involving these teams:

Belgium +3
Lithuania 0
United States -3

Not sure how anyone is "very lucky", obviously the teams design their tactics around the rules that are used in 3x3 tournaments and not the rules used in other tournaments.

From what I've seen there are no dominant teams and any of the final eight could qualify for the Olympics.

Women's quarterfinals:
Japan-Switzerland
Hungary-France
USA-Belarus
Spain-Australia

Switzerland beat the US at the tournament in France last week, would be nice to see them make it.

Hepcat
05-30-2021, 01:36 AM
From what I've seen there are no dominant teams and any of the final eight could qualify for the Olympics.

Well Latvia has looked very consistent and very good so far:

Latvia (Men)
The chemistry is so real with these guys, we're putting them up for a Nobel Prize. There's not a weak link on this team, and there's no squad in the world that wants to face them in their current form. They head into the quarterfinals where they'll face Lithuania, a familiar foe.

I'm hoping the Latvians stumble tomorrow but....

Hepcat
05-30-2021, 11:37 AM
Women's quarterfinals:

Japan-Switzerland
Hungary-France
USA-Belarus
Spain-Australia

Switzerland beat the US at the tournament in France last week, would be nice to see them make it.

Speaking of the women, what are the Frenchwomen doing speaking English in the huddle? Very curious indeed for the French.

Hepcat
05-30-2021, 12:29 PM
Ahhhhh, damn.

Latvia 21 Lithuania 19

I was prepared to be disappointed ever since Ignas Vaitkus went down with a broken foot last Saturday and I realized that Lithuania had a dreadful draw. Unfortunately things transpired exactly as I feared. Very disappointing.

JGX
05-30-2021, 04:35 PM
US men lose to Netherlands in the quarterfinal. Hummel had a mediocre tournament after dominating at the 2019 WC.

France and US get the first two women's spots, France with a last-second win over Japan.

Hepcat
05-30-2021, 06:30 PM
US men lose to Netherlands in the quarterfinal. Hummel had a mediocre tournament after dominating at the 2019 WC.

It's also ironic that it was Joey King, the last minute replacement for Canyon Barry, who ended up being the most valuable member of the U.S. team.

JGX
05-31-2021, 03:46 AM
Poland, Netherlands, and Latvia take the three men's spots. The US will have some representation with Michael Hicks who has been a linchpin of the Polish 3x3 team for a long time.

Japan beat Spain 20-18 in overtime for the third women's spot, after trailing 18-14 late in regulation. Happy for them since they should have been given a spot in the first place.

Hepcat
05-31-2021, 03:42 PM
Poland, Netherlands, and Latvia take the three men's spots.

What's ironic is that both Poland and the Netherlands were completely lackluster on the first day of the tournament. Poland had an unimpressive 17-15 victory over the Czech Republic and then lost to Mongolia 22-18. Meanwhile the Netherlands lost 21-17 to Latvia and then 17-15 to Canada. I wonder if their opponents therefore took them too lightly in the playoffs.

The US will have some representation with Michael Hicks who has been a linchpin of the Polish 3x3 team for a long time.

Does Michael Hicks have a Polish mother? Or has he settled down to live in Poland and is taking out Polish citizenship?

JGX
06-01-2021, 01:45 AM
What's ironic is that both Poland and the Netherlands were completely lackluster on the first day of the tournament. Poland had an unimpressive 17-15 victory over the Czech Republic and then lost to Mongolia 22-18. Meanwhile the Netherlands lost 21-17 to Latvia and then 17-15 to Canada. I wonder if their opponents therefore took them too lightly in the playoffs.

I think men's 3x3 just has a lot of evenly matched teams and the results on any specific day are a coin toss. Both Poland and the Netherlands (and their associated World Tour teams) have had good results in the past.

Does Michael Hicks have a Polish mother? Or has he settled down to live in Poland and is taking out Polish citizenship?

He's played in Poland since 2010. Solid Polglish interview here:
https://sport.tvp.pl/54101711/koszykowka-3x3-michael-hicks-przed-io-w-tokio-brazowy-medal-juz-mam-chce-zlota

Hepcat
06-01-2021, 05:19 AM
He's played in Poland since 2010. Solid Polglish interview here:

https://sport.tvp.pl/54101711/koszykowka-3x3-michael-hicks-przed-io-w-tokio-brazowy-medal-juz-mam-chce-zlota

Well he certainly sounds Polish enough!

:cool:

JGX
06-06-2021, 07:49 PM
Belgium men and Italy women take the final Olympic spots at this weekend's "Universality" tournament, with hosts Hungary coming up short in both decisive games. Belgium needed a last-second two to beat Mongolia in the semifinals, while 2018 World Cup MVP (and FIBA 3x3 anthem composer (http://www.fiba.basketball/en/news/3x3-star-rae-lin-d%E2%80%99alie-composes-2020-fiba-3x3-official-song)) Rae Lin D'Alie hit a late shot to put the Italian women in the Olympics.

Hepcat
06-07-2021, 02:09 AM
The Belgians were easily the class on the Men's side of the Tournament winning all of their games:

Universal Qualifying Tournament Scores (http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/3x3/2020/UOQT/games)

Belgium 19 Ukraine 14
Belgium 20 Slovenia 18
Belgium 16 Mongolia 15 (SF)
Belgium 21 Hungary 14 (F)

The same Antwerp team of Rafael Bogaerts, Nick Celis, Thierry Marien and Thibaut Vervoort lost out in the QFs of the Pro Category in Stop 1 of the Lithuanian Championships in Garliava on May 2nd and variants of that Antwerp team didn't do any better in the next two weeks:

Lithuanian 3x3 Championships (https://play.fiba3x3.com/tours/08677663-70c1-4e9a-a738-ae07cd6e3d46/standings)

But they clearly used it all as a learning experience ("If we have to lose somewhere we might as well do it here.") because they were excellent in the Graz Qualifying Tournament last week. They finished in a three way tie with the United States and Lithuania in the Group stage with a 3-1 record but narrowly failed to advance on the basis of a crummy tie breaker.

So I'm glad for Belgium. They merited another chance after the Graz Tournament.

Hepcat
06-11-2021, 03:43 PM
Here's an article dated May 29th describing Team Canada's performance at the 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Graz two weeks ago:

Basketball Canada - 29 May 2021 (https://www.basketball.ca/news/canada-opens-fiba-3x3-olympic-qualifying-tournament-2021-2-0-with-wins-over-croatia-and-netherlands)

Unfortunately, that's about it for Team Canada in the foreseeable future. I don't see any Americas 3x3 tournaments scheduled for later in the year.

Hepcat
06-25-2021, 09:47 PM
Incidentally these are the teams that have gained participation in the Women's Olympic 3x3 event:

Qualified on Basis of 2019 Federation Ranking

Russia
China
Mongolia
Romania

Qualified at Graz Tournament

United States
France
Japan

Qualified at Debrecen Universality Tournament

Italy

JGX
07-16-2021, 03:13 AM
Posted this in the other forum but since this is going to be an Olympic event...controversy in the Dutch camp as Julian Jaring, who was the top scorer in the qualifying game against the US, was left off the team in favor of Canadian-born Ross Bekkering, who is expected to provide more offensive punch. Jaring went to court to try to get on the team but was denied:
https://www.nu.nl/sport-overig/6145196/basketballer-jaring-verliest-kort-geding-voor-plek-in-olympische-selectie.html

JGX
07-19-2021, 10:50 PM
Katie Lou Samuelson out of US team due to "health and safety protocol", replaced by Jackie Young:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/07/3x3-roster-young.aspx