PDA

View Full Version : Semifinals: Russia vs. Spain

JGX
08-09-2012, 03:33 AM
IBN posters nailed it when they said Russia would be the top team at the qualifying tournament and they've continued their strong play here. Spain hasn't impressed so far but they are capable of better.

GustavoGanso
08-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Russia is a awesome team... I don't know... very hard to decide. Spain by 8.

NorCal
08-09-2012, 03:46 AM
I think Russia is the stronger team right now with the inconsistent play from the Spanish backcourt but it is very close. I have a feeling either Calderon or Navarro are going to come through along with the Gasols which will be enough to win the ball game by a small margin. Spain+4

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but if the USA makes it to the final this will be very exciting as a USA vs Spain matchup will be very hyped for obvious reasons and a USA vs Russia matchup will have the whole "40 years after 1972" factor hyping it up.

Dtown
08-09-2012, 03:56 AM
Spain's just been too inconsistent for me to feel confident in them, I think this is simply Russia's time.

reamily
08-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Russia is a scoring guard away to be a so good one of the most feared team in the basketball world..

durden_tyler
08-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Cheering for Russia because i feel they have a better chance of serving the upset against USA...

greenarcher
08-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Russia by 4pts.

carlo
08-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Russia has the best structured team in the Olympics, but Spain is sniffing the final...and P&M Gasol can make the difference.

Shawshank
08-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Its hard to say for me ,but spain are just to F"""ing good to lose.Yesterday France played just brilliant defence on them,but those cheaters are just too good...Russia cant beat this spain team second time in a row...In group game russian were lucky after they got start 2-20 and won by 2 points,but spain was ahead in entire game.Sorry people i would just love to see russia winning,but i dont think it gonna happen.Spain +10

toikins
08-09-2012, 10:50 AM
russia by 1pt.:cool:
I want Russia.

But i do feel its gonna be Spain because of the Gasol bros.

naumoski
08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
This is a decisive game, so I think Spain will win.

Spain can make an accurate scouting...they already know that can be beaten...

L8DBACK
08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I believe that Spain will win this against Russia. Some of you keep saying they are playing poorly in their games in the preliminaries and won't make it to the Gold medal game, guess what, they will! When you get to the knockout stages every teams are 0-0. Spain is not that stupid and they will find a way to win, either hook or by crook. They intentionally lost their game against Brazil to get a better positioning in the bracket to the Gold medal. Stop pretending that Spain is not cheating. But when they get to the Gold medal game, some people will change their tune and realized how blind they were not seeing this or still be in denial and too blind to see the truth.

usagre
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Great silver medal matchup.

Kwijibo
08-09-2012, 01:38 PM
The tournament starts now

Chopin
08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
It is going to be a close game, but I think that Spain will win it, this Spanish team is a missmatch for Russia. I will cheer for Russia though and hope that Shved will stop playing for himself and ballhoging. We will see the battle under the rims and I already see images in my head of Gasol brothers floping and crying. :) Ibaka might be the difference maker (besides Rudy and Navarro) if they let him play 25-30 min.

And now looking one step ahaid and the olympic finals: I honestly think that Russia is the biggest missmatch for the USA team in this tournament and therefore have the biggest chance of upseting the americans. Remember, Russia and USA played in the quarterfinals 2 years ago in the world championship and it was 10 points for USA. But Russia was without Kirilenko, Khyrapa, Shved and Fridzon out of shape playing only 12min, but they had Voroncevich... Of course USA was also without Lebron, Bryant and Melo, but with Rose, Billups and Odom... Too bad that the final will probably be USA-Spain and quite boring, americans probably winning it quite easily, since the spanish golden generation is in a decline and american leaders are at prime.

HeinrichMohr
08-09-2012, 07:20 PM
According to the games i've seen, Spain is the weakest team of all those involved in the medal struggle and i think this Russia would be a better contender against USA than the iberians too. Will Spain wake up? No i don't think so, not in the way they used to do. Can they defeat Kirilenko and Co. ? Yes, but they will need to improve their 3p shooting very very much and be more regular in the entire game.

Apart from that, all of us know that the key for victory to that evil team from Southwest Europe is flopping, crying and being dirty (they must have problems with personal hygiene), it's a pity they didn't learn from the best to do all that with some class.

Pleasant
08-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Apart from that, all of us know that the key for victory to that evil team from Southwest Europe is flopping, crying and being dirty (they must have problems with personal hygiene), it's a pity they didn't learn from the best to do all that with some class.

At least you're honest ;)

Khalid80
08-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I heard David Blatt talking after Russia defeated Lithuania in the quarterfinals and he mentioned that that he's been with the team for 6 years now and if there is ever a time where he felt that he believes that his team will win a medal in this Olympics then this the year that it will happen... Also if i'm not mistaken he said that his stint as the head coach with the Russian NT ends after these Olympics so he's really motivated to accomplish something.

Spain hasn't been too consistent throughout this tournament but as always they bring out their best when it counts... But still I see this team being weaker than previous years and that's why i'm going to take a risk and say that Russia has the slight advantage over this Spanish team.

each way
08-10-2012, 02:39 AM
The tournament starts now

Yep which is why Spain will turn it on today.

Spain will win by 5+

NorCal
08-10-2012, 02:42 AM
According to the games i've seen, Spain is the weakest team of all those involved in the medal struggle and i think this Russia would be a better contender against USA than the iberians too. Will Spain wake up? No i don't think so, not in the way they used to do. Can they defeat Kirilenko and Co. ? Yes, but they will need to improve their 3p shooting very very much and be more regular in the entire game.

This is such a tough game to call because, as you mentioned, we are all waiting for Spain to wake up like they have done many times in recent years. The 'waking up' is usually the backcourt since Pau and Marc are mostly consistent. So, will this backcourt wake up, especially given all of their injury problems and inconsistent shooting? Its really hard to say but that is most likely what the game will depend on.

For some reason I think they will wakt up for one game and it will take 2 out of 3 of Navarro, Calderon and Rudy having a solid to great game to overcome Russia.

Buzissa
08-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Spain will tank this game to avoid USA:).
In a serious note, Spain is more talented and even with their unimpressive play in this tournament (terrible against France), they are still favorites. Russia can surely beat them again, though. 55-45 for the Spaniards.

JGX
08-10-2012, 03:22 AM
Regardless of the sport, only the refs can beat Spain:

Video replays suggested both decisions were ultimately correct, but Spain coach Dani Martin said: "I feel that the FIH (International Hockey Federation) needs to take these things very seriously because this is a very serious situation.

"It cannot happen that an international official changes his decision twice - especially as he is surrounded by opposition players. It has already happened before in other matches that an umpire has been surrounded by players.

"We are in a tournament where there are clear favourites and these countries are being favoured.

"If the president of the FIH (Leandro Negre) does not give a public explanation of what has happened there will be very serious consequences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18903646

HeinrichMohr
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Regardless of the sport, only the refs can beat Spain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18903646

It seems that you are obsessed with the Spanish delegation. First football and now... hockey? Sometimes it's a relief that Spain is a 2nd or 3rd class power in Olympics because if we were like USA or China i can imagine the posts in this forum. Let us live.

Illegal2k10
08-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Spain have my vote and my support in this one!:)

bobo81
08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I think Spain will win this one. It should be close throughout the game, but Spain will muster everything they have and pull out a close one. Russia had a good run, but will not pull another Euro's upset. Wish I was wrong though.

madmax
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm surprised to see how people are still sleeping on a russian bear here...Russia will clamp down their defense and beat spaniards again - book it. They are the worst possible matchup for Spain NT in Europe - athletic, very physical and they have a much better coach too. 65-35 to Russia here

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Russia all the way! They seem determined.

mchale
08-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Lamonika:D He will help spain as much as he can.Book it.

Dtown
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Game is definitely being played at Russia's pace, low scoring slug fest, just the way they like it.

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Russia is on track to score 37 points in the 1st quater!!! WOW!

Picek
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
davaj, davaj, davaj..

Khalid80
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Monya baby!

Chopin
08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Russian defense is perfect, nothing more to say and Monya is such a great player, to be able to hit such high percentages for 3 over the hands of the defenders is just unbeliavable...

rikhardur
08-10-2012, 04:33 PM
And Rudy just flopped :rolleyes:

Shawshank
08-10-2012, 04:44 PM
And Rudy just flopped :rolleyes:

Exactly when yesterday france player made way softer foul on fernanadez thats actor was laying on the floor 5minutes.And Kirilenko like men stood up after 5 seconds,because hes man and playing basketball,not acting lessons.GO RUSSIA ,beat those floppers !

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Team Stats RUS ESP

Shooting 13-35 (.371) 6-29 (.207)
3PT Shooting 5-14 (.357) 2-10 (.200)
Free Throws 0-0 (.000) 6-9 (.667)
Rebounds 3-19 5-20
Assists 9 5
Steals 3 0
Blocks 2 3
Turnovers 3 5
Fouls 10 6

Half time Russia 31 Spain 21 Does anyone think spain is still tanked???? They are playing to their potential.

madmax
08-10-2012, 04:45 PM
it's simply a pleasure to watch how this russian team plays defense...everyone is rotating, helping and is ready to rather die on the court than let the opponent score. If there was ever a team who deserves a Gold for their efforts, this current russian team are the best candidates. Spain can't get any look inside whatsoever...just incredible

mchale
08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I was ready to say good officiating but luigi in the last 2 minutes showed his old self,rewarding a flop by floparro with 2 FT in the last play of the half.
Awful game,russia mediocre but spain is even worse.Watch lamonika, though I mean juan carlos should give him the spanish citizenship for his services in spanish bball

Toxicity
08-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Russian defense is perfect, nothing more to say and Monya is such a great player, to be able to hit such high percentages for 3 over the hands of the defenders is just unbeliavable...

Monya a gret player?!? A great shooter, maybe...

Great defense by Russia, the lead is well deserved. Spain can't buy a bucket under the basket and can't hit a 3 to save its life... if things don't change Russia will increase the lead in the 2nd (Kirilenko is playing bad but i think he's going to improve through the game) and win pretty easily...

HeinrichMohr
08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
lol... 20 points at halftime mm ehem... i wonder if they are "tanking" the game not to play against USA...

kestiz
08-10-2012, 04:56 PM
not as much floping as i was expecting so far, i r dissapoint (

on a serious note Russia has this unless Spain goes on fire with their 3pointers (which is more then possible)

mchale
08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Foul on Gasol?Really?
FT are 17-2 for spain.A small scandal is happening...

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Foul on Gasol?Really?
FT are 15-2 for spain

Fouls are Russia 14 Spain 8 Yet freetrows are Spain 15 attempts to Russia 2 attempts. WOW!

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Spain 17 freethrows Russia 2

mchale
08-10-2012, 05:10 PM
You can't be a fan of bball and be fan of spain.The way they are winning is simply disgraceful

Illegal2k10
08-10-2012, 05:12 PM
just tuned in. Looks like Spain were asleep in a first half and gave some lead to Russia hehe.

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 05:12 PM
This is a joke!!! A real joke!

Dtown
08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
20 points in the first two quarters, 26 in this one! 10 minutes to see who's going to the gold medal game.

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Tied @ 46! Spain got to shoot free throws the entire 3rd quarter. LOL Spain 17 free throws Russia 2 o_O :rolleyes:

Chopin
08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Monya a gret player?!? A great shooter, maybe...

Great defense by Russia, the lead is well deserved. Spain can't buy a bucket under the basket and can't hit a 3 to save its life... if things don't change Russia will increase the lead in the 2nd (Kirilenko is playing bad but i think he's going to improve through the game) and win pretty easily...

He a great shooter, it his his job to shoot trees in this team, that is why he is a great player for the team...

I still think Spain is going to win this game but they stand no chance against probably USA in the final... Russia-USA would be more fun to watch so I am cheering for the Russians to upset Spain now.

Khalid80
08-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Russia just seem to be psychologically out of it... Too many turnovers. Their defense is not the same. Kirilenko has been very disappointing today...
And Spain is just playing much better in the second half.

mchale
08-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Travelling by marc gasol

Kwijibo
08-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Pau dunk in their face!!!!!!!!!!

Remon
08-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Kirilenko: The biggest loser.

bobo81
08-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Kirilenko...KLANK!!! Way to shoot your FTs when needed. :rolleyes:

kestiz
08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Congrats Spain. Seems everyone was wrong sayin their too old.

Next olympics should have different top 4 since both Argentina/Spain are getting too old. But well see ;o

Kwijibo
See you in the final haters!!! :cool:

Dtown
Alright I have to make a new rule for myself.
1: Brazil is always disappointing
2: Never doubt Argentina just because of age
3: Never bet against Spain against fellow Europeans in a knock out game

Free throws and turnovers the story here

LTbotd
08-10-2012, 05:45 PM
How would you rate AK's performance? When his team needed him the most, he was absolutely terrible... What the fuck was wrong with him today.

uRAgan
08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
AK BAD , ВAD , BAD ...............

Final
USA 130-80 Spain

Illegal2k10
08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Spain simply have more quality compared to Russia.:)

How would you rate AK's performance? When his team needed him the most, he was absolutely terrible... What the fuck was wrong with him today.

same shit happened to Kleiza 2 days ago, nothing special

Raze Lupin

Great rules!

mchale
Not fair win and qf for spain.The men in grey were their best friends.But they will be exposed pretty soon..

Chopin
08-10-2012, 05:49 PM

1. Brasil is not disappointing, that is their reallity
2. I agree :)
3. Or against other countries in the world except USA...

Still someone thinks Spain did not tank the game against Brasil, they could have won if they wanted, they are still one or two levels above them. Also Russia is a much better team than Brasil in my eyes.
I feel sorry for Kirilenko, it really was not his day today and he rarely underperforms in important games... I also feel sorry for all russians and Blatt, they all seemed to want to play in the final so much.

If the USA wins Argentina and then Spain in the final I predicted all knockout games correctly :p

madmax
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
oh well, looks like pressure got to even usually very collected and calm AK and russian team in the second half...dissapointing really, as this spanish team stands no chance in the final against either USA or Argentina.

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm going to laugh if Spain get the gold medal!!

Remon
08-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Not fair win and qf for spain.The men in grey were their best friends.But they will be exposed pretty soon..

Eh, the men in grey were awful, for both sides.

Anyway, this lose comes mostly to AKs performance, which I think can't even be rated. Then it comes to the collective brainfart of the russian guards.

Kwijibo

So much hate u have. Every own u eat increase ur hate against spain

raph
Sad that garnett is not in the olympics and that karate bowen has stoped kick boxing, that would have make the finale interesting for something.

Disappointing how russia performed today, especially their forwards (since they should have had a big advantage there).

Kwijibo
08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Sad that garnett is not in the olympics and that karate bowen has stoped kick boxing, that would have make the finale interesting for something.

Disappointing how russia performed today, especially their forwards (since they should have had a big advantage there).
We have batum at least
http://i.minus.com/iV8UHNE04yaWE.gif

naumoski
08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Spain never deceives. Secondary players (Llull, San Emeterio, Reyes) changed the sign of the match.

This spanish generation is a LEGEND.

mchale
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
So much hate u have. Every own u eat increase ur hate against spain

Νot a hate I' wiil post some numbers that will clear some things.
Before the sf FTA for spain were 155 FTA against were 85 a +70 margin by far the highest in the tournament.
Do u know the FTA margin for the US? +27
So spain has a massive FT advantage over the most athletic team in the world who thrives in transition.
Wow
And juan carlos should give luigi the spanish passport, arteaga would be more neutral..

raph
08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, it was hard to watch navarro agonizing today. Really i almosy had to stop watching to avoid bursting into tears.
Man, i don't know between you, barcelona puppet, or your favorite players (minus pau & sergio, i actually like the human beings under the jersey) who are the most despicable and arrogant morons.

I like watching bball, but whenever spain is involved it's the same story (protected, never on the feet, always whining). Ex yougo countries would have taken care of your oversized egos, but the bill will have to be paid soonish by spain (yes pun intended, especially since some are from catalonia).

Kwijibo
08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Before the sf FTA for spain were 155 FTA against were 85 a +70 margin by far the highest in the tournament.
So spain has a massive FT advantage over the most athletic team in the world who thrives in transition.
Wow
And juan carlos should give luigi the spanish passport, arteaga would be more neutral..
Cuz we have the best centers/powerfowards of the tournament and we throw less 3points than USA. Tell me 2 ft of the last game that weren't unfair

Guard
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow

LOL you r really a hater
first usa is just shooting 3's and outside shots mostly because they dont have any inside big to fight in paint/
just look at how many pts they have made and u know what i mean.

Spain has the most DOMINANT froncourt in this olympics. ofcourse they will get a A LOT of free throws.

Kwijibo
08-10-2012, 06:25 PM
LOL you r really a hater
first usa is just shooting 3's and outside shots mostly because they dont have any inside big to fight in paint/

Spain has the most DOMINANT froncourt in this olympics. ofcourse they will get a A LOT of free throws.
PPL who speak about robbery only seeing FT has 0 knowledge about this sport

mchale
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
A team that runs always should get the more Free throws.
Look at the NBA the team with the most FTA are OKC and denver not the lakers.
In the euroleague the team with the most FTA was olympiaos again a team with no post game.
And brazil the second most dominant frontcourt was -28 in FTA.
Your theory doesn't pass the laugh test

Navarro #7
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Cuz we have the best centers/powerfowards of the tournament and we throw less 3points than USA. Tell me 2 ft of the last game that weren't unfair

LOL you r really a hater

No, no, no :mad:, wrong words. You must be the Devil's advocate because Spanish players are sons of Satan, and all the courts where they play smell like sulphur when the game ends. Spain never deserves to win. Today was THE DAY for every good being to see evil falling.

Satanists go out from this forum.

Hepcat
08-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Shved was so terrible at PG on Wednesday against Lithuania that I picked Spain by seven in the Prediction Game thread. He wasn't as bad today but he certainly did not play well and Spain won by eight.

Kwijibo
08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
In the euroleague the team with the most FTA was olympiaos again a team with no post game.
Your knowledge about the game neither.
Your hate ass the test ;)

Raze Lupin
08-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Interesting point!

mchale
08-10-2012, 06:30 PM
PPL who speak about robbery only seeing FT has 0 knowledge about this sport

Not only FT,marc gasol travelled 3 min before the end and the ref rewarded him with and1.
I hope you saw that..

Kwijibo
08-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Not only FT,marc gasol travelled 3 min before the end and the ref rewarded him with and1.
I hope you saw that..

Yes i saw it. Great 2+1

mchale
08-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Yes i saw it. Great 2+1

Your vision is not very good obviously

usagre
I wanted Russia to win to change things up. How many times do I have to watch the dream team beat Spain already.

sylar
FTS in first half:

Spain: 9
Russia: 0

Score: 20-31 for Russia

FTS in second half:

Spain: 13
Russia: 12

score: 47-28

Spain just played no defence in first half.

kestiz
08-10-2012, 06:39 PM
another boring finals ;/

i guess Russia suffered the same semifinal curse that Lithuania endured 5 times in a row

i predict Russia to win bronze atleast, they deserve it

auris1
08-10-2012, 07:44 PM
another boring finals ;/

How come?

hannibaal
08-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Argentina deserve a medal. On the other side, it could be the last time that we watch playing to Ginobilli, Scola, delfino ...

kestiz
08-10-2012, 07:55 PM
How come?
Russia looked better stacked against an opponent like USA. Dont think Spain can pull it.

rikhardur
08-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Argentina deserve a medal. On the other side, it could be the last time that we watch playing to Ginobilli, Scola, delfino ...
Maybe for Ginóbili. It looks like Scola and Delfino will continue.

JGX
08-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Well Spain wasn't going to shoot 0 for the tournament. You have to give Scariolo a lot of credit, takes massive huevos to bench Navarro in a big game.

CHBB
08-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Monia deserves another shot at the league after the way he's played in the Olympics? Also, I can't wait to see what Mozgov does with the Nuggets. He was a flat out beast in these Olympics.

Hepcat
08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
FTS in first half:

Spain: 9
Russia: 0

Score: 20-31 for Russia

FTS in second half:

Spain: 13
Russia: 12

score: 47-28

Spain just played no defence in first half.

Actually, those figures show that Spain's defence was about the same in the two halves. What those figures show is that it was Russia that stopped playing defence in the second half.

:confused:

sylar
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Actually, those figures show that Spain's defence was about the same in the two halves. What those figures show is that it was Russia that stopped playing defence in the second half.

:confused:

Well, just because Russia scored nearly same points in first and second half mean does not mean Spain played great defence in both times. Fouls are a good stat to measure the intensity of a team, for example, Spain did not made any foul to stop easy baskets from Russia, while Russia tried to stop Spanish big men with constant 2vs1 and fouls in every attempt of layup, giving FTS instead easy 2 points. Fouls in first half, 5-11, second 14-11. About Russia stopped playing defence in second half, absolutly true, didnt say anything about it.

Anyway my post was more to the people who talk about the diference of FTS between both teams as the key of the game(getting robbed...).

Kwijibo
08-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Well Spain wasn't going to shoot 0 for the tournament. You have to give Scariolo a lot of credit, takes massive huevos to bench Navarro in a big game.

Aito did too

Kwijibo
08-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Troll can you STFU like now? All this forum needs is one like you...

See u in the final hater!

Straight forward
08-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm kinda happy Russia lost because our federation won't have an excuse "Look what kind of animal destroyed Lithuania in 4finals". Russia didn't play that well this summer as people talked. Most of their games was very close and they looked average in knock out stage. Lithuania could deal with Russia in 4finals, just Kemzura's team managed to play even more horrible basketball. Spain probably played the worst first 2 quorters since 2004, but they managed comfortably to destroy Russia as soon as they started to play. To be honest Spain still didn't impressed, they used to role in other level and for 38 minutes. This Russia is overrated even if they were very well coached and played some great basketball this summer. In other words, even if it's best Russia in years, they are nowhere close of being such NT as say Argentina was in 2002-2004, Lithuania was in 2003-2004 and Spain was since 2006.

Straight forward
08-11-2012, 12:14 PM
oh well, looks like pressure got to even usually very collected and calm AK and russian team in the second half...dissapointing really, as this spanish team stands no chance in the final against either USA or Argentina.

This is nonsence. Spain would destroy Argentina 8 time from 10 games. As for USA...well Spain has to play perfect game to compete with them.

Terrorizer
08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm kinda happy Russia lost because our federation won't have an excuse "Look what kind of animal destroyed Lithuania in 4finals". Russia didn't play that well this summer as people talked. Most of their games was very close and they looked average in knock out stage. Lithuania could deal with Russia in 4finals, just Kemzura's team managed to play even more horrible basketball. Spain probably played the worst first 2 quorters since 2004, but they managed comfortably to destroy Russia as soon as they started to play. To be honest Spain still didn't impressed, they used to role in other level and for 38 minutes. This Russia is overrated even if they were very well coached and played some great basketball this summer. In other words, even if it's best Russia in years, they are nowhere close of being such NT as say Argentina was in 2002-2004, Lithuania was in 2003-2004 and Spain was since 2006.
It looks like you have an obsession with proving how mediocre is Russia. Yes, current Russian NT didn't play godly this summer and waste a great share of their potential playing close games when they could be the comfortable wins. In basketball Russians are ultimate chokers, psychologically unstable and can blow off any lead, it's true.
But the upper limit for this team is very high and game-wise it currently shares second place in the world with Spain right after Team USA. Our backcourt was in a huge trouble this summer with Bykov's injury, Ponkrashov (and Voronov who can be a beast in defense when he is in tune) out of shape having sat all the season warming the bench in CSKA and Shved playing worst basketball of his life in NT jerseys. If we add Blatt's questionable coaching and traditional mental weakness of our team, then it couldn't be a mediocre team earning bronze and playing two tense games with Spain winning one of it. Your comparison with Lithuania of 2003-2004 is laughable really. The only non-US teams of 2000s who can match this Russia if we talk about their potential are Argentinians of mid 2000s, Spaniards of mid- and -late 2000s and maybe Serbs of early 2000s. Even Italians of Athens are strictly weaker while not by a mile. And, f.e., Greeks of mid-2000s and Lithuanians of 2003, while they were definitely elite teams in international basketball, were a level or two below play-wise.
Russia looked average in knock-out stages? It played four games in it: two in Caracaz - winning comfortably against Angola and winning against Nigeria (who shocked Lithuania and Greece before) with +9 difference but the game was over in the end of the second QT and Russia didn't play to its maximum in the second half. And two in London - winning with ease against not so sloppy Lithuanian team and then shamefully blowing its massive lead against Spain who has definite refs help. So I don't think that it qualifies as average performance.
About the game itself: it's a shame we've lost, this Spain finally was for taking and definitely weaker than in 2007. The worst thing of it is that these slimey stinkers achieved what they want - to avoid USA before finals. We were obliged to prove that it was a huge mistake to be so confident that you can win Russia with ease in semifinals but we failed. Shame on us! And Kirilenko was awful in the most important game of his career, no big surprise for me. The roots of this painful loss lie in psychology which is an our traditional weakness. We were finally better than Spain in this tournament and still we couldn't come up with the win against them when it mattered the most. Russia can't win really important games against comparable opponents in knock-out stages, it's our problem. To win a team in play-offs we must be head-and-shoulders above it level-wise. Madrid-2007 final game was a sole pleasant exception from this rule.
Most important statistical category in my eyes - assists in this tournament: USA - 25,0, Russia - 19,8, Argentina - 19,6 (Argies are very clever team, no doubt about that, they just lack good bench players and fresh legs), Spain - 19,3, Lithuania - 18,2. You can't say that Russia is average when they amassed more assists than such teams as Spain and Argentina known by their highly proficient passing game for quite a some time.
And our loss is especially painful since considering our style of playing we were the most uncomfirtable opponent for Team USA with combination of the high speed, intellectual passing game and great athleticism in the frontcourt. Spain offered a great resistance in the final game of the tournament but on our lucky day (read, if we could overcome our psychological problems) we would be closer to shocking the world with an upset if we meet this Team USA.

Shawshank
08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
It looks like you have an obsession with proving how mediocre is Russia. Yes, current Russian NT didn't play godly this summer and waste a great share of their potential playing close games when they could be the comfortable wins. In basketball Russians are ultimate chokers, psychologically unstable and can blow off any lead, it's true.
But the upper limit for this team is very high and game-wise it currently shares second place in the world with Spain right after Team USA. Our backcourt was in a huge trouble this summer with Bykov's injury, Ponkrashov (and Voronov who can be a beast in defense when he is in tune) out of shape having sat all the season warming the bench in CSKA and Shved playing worst basketball of his life in NT jerseys. If we add Blatt's questionable coaching and traditional mental weakness of our team, then it couldn't be a mediocre team earning bronze and playing two tense games with Spain winning one of it. Your comparison with Lithuania of 2003-2004 is laughable really. The only non-US teams of 2000s who can match this Russia if we talk about their potential are Argentinians of mid 2000s, Spaniards of mid- and -late 2000s and maybe Serbs of early 2000s. Even Italians of Athens are strictly weaker while not by a mile. And, f.e., Greeks of mid-2000s and Lithuanians of 2003, while they were definitely elite teams in international basketball, were a level or two below play-wise.
Russia looked average in knock-out stages? It played four games in it: two in Caracaz - winning comfortably against Angola and winning against Nigeria (who shocked Lithuania and Greece before) with +9 difference but the game was over in the end of the second QT and Russia didn't play to its maximum in the second half. And two in London - winning with ease against not so sloppy Lithuanian team and then shamefully blowing its massive lead against Spain who has definite refs help. So I don't think that it qualifies as average performance.
About the game itself: it's a shame we've lost, this Spain finally was for taking and definitely weaker than in 2007. The worst thing of it is that these slimey stinkers achieved what they want - to avoid USA before finals. We were obliged to prove that it was a huge mistake to be so confident that you can win Russia with ease in semifinals but we failed. Shame on us! And Kirilenko was awful in the most important game of his career, no big surprise for me. The roots of this painful loss lie in psychology which is an our traditional weakness. We were finally better than Spain in this tournament and still we couldn't come up with the win against them when it mattered the most. Russia can't win really important games against comparable opponents in knock-out stages, it's our problem. To win a team in play-offs we must be head-and-shoulders above it level-wise. Madrid-2007 final game was a sole pleasant exception from this rule.
Most important statistical category in my eyes - assists in this tournament: USA - 25,0, Russia - 19,8, Argentina - 19,6 (Argies are very clever team, no doubt about that, they just lack good bench players and fresh legs), Spain - 19,3, Lithuania - 18,2. You can't say that Russia is average when they amassed more assists than such teams as Spain and Argentina known by their highly proficient passing game for quite a some time.
And our loss is especially painful since considering our style of playing we were the most uncomfirtable opponent for Team USA with combination of the high speed, intellectual passing game and great athleticism in the frontcourt. Spain offered a great resistance in the final game of the tournament but on our lucky day (read, if we could overcome our psychological problems) we would be closer to shocking the world with an upset if we meet this Team USA.

you are very funny guy terorizer :) This russian team at best are solid and well coached.They tallent arent even close to spain,argentina,lithuanian at their best years...dont be funny in this russian team are playing only 7 players : Kirilenko,chriapa,shwed,monia,kaun,mozgov,fridzon and the bench is weak.

Ho can you compare such solid team agains spain from 2006,argentina 2004,lithuania 2003 when there were 9-10 very high quality players in their prime? dont be funny get out of the this russian team kirilenko and blat,all its leaves just solid average team like 2009 and 2010...nothing more.And he sees some kind theory that this team could be hardest opponent for Usa cha cha :)

I would say russia played very well and atleast 85% that this team can do and were really very well coahced by blatt.Dont be funny this russia 2012 dont have a chance against argentina 2004,lithuania 2003,spain 2006 even france team had more tallenbted teams than this russia 2012.You will see next year if kirilenko will take summer of,that this russian team isnt anything special...

The most important bone fo this russian team is Kirilenko.He is huge in both ends of the floor,wthout him they dont have a chance to win a medal...They dont even have normal pointgurad,their best

imagine comparision between young jasikevicius and bykov... its like try to compare mozkvic with ferari...:) Young macijauskas would just outplayed fridson...The strongets part of this russian team are forwards Kirilenko,Chriapa,Voronzevich,Monia but we always had decent Forwards Siskauskas,Stombergas,Songaila ( his old but still in 2012 he done alot of things against this russia team,what would happen if we put 25years old songaila?) not 36 jasikevicius,but 28 years old? we put 25 years old siskauskas and 30 years old stombergas? sorry mate +15 Lietuva2003 winning this one.
And those Spain and argentinas teams was even better that ltihuanias 2003-2004..

Straight forward
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Terrorizer, I might be underrating this Russia team, but I think you underrating peacking Lithuania, Argentina, Spain and probably Greece of 00's. These teams were great. 2000 Olympics Lithuanian team were very close beating USA in semifinal and that team was IMO one of stronger USA teams in 00's - A. Mourning, KG, Kid, Payton, Vince Carter, Ray Allen and others. Lithuania in 2003 had 4 extreame offensive players that could go for 30 points in a given day - Jasikevičius, Macijauskas, Šiškauskas, Štombergas. Russia might be very well coached and very good defensive team, but they are not standing anywhere close in terms of offensive talent. Did Russia ever showed some "fireworks" games like Lithuania smashing Greece in 2004 or over scoring USA? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThTGOTEOrGk I didn't see such evidence of dominance of this Russia team. Anyway, Russia surely has bright future as you have some very interesting prospects and current roster won't go anywhere till next Olympics (maybe only Kirilenko and Khriapa might not be there).

And you have some point about USA- Russia matchup, but unfortunetly all we saw Spain (while fairly beating Russia) and Lithuania were two teams that gave the best fight for USA.