PDA

View Full Version : Group A, Day 5: Tunisia vs. Lithuania

JGX
08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Tunisia can still advance with a 12-point win and a Nigeria loss.

Nerringa
08-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Lithuania will win.

Straight forward
08-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Lithuania will win.

Short, but strong first post of Lithuanian girl :)

I would hope Tunisia will play good and Lithuania will play even better. Hopefully it's pretty close, but high quality game.

Raze Lupin
08-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Liths got this but the first quarter will not be easy. It may be close in the 2nd half too.

Aegis
08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Tunisia had their usual strong start.

In the end, no one has been able to figure out Tunisia was actually a decent side before playing them and everyone had to work in the second half to beat them.

madmax
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I wonder if lithuanian hardcore fans still believe that Kemzura is not the one to blame...what's next? Losing to Luxembourg maybe?

durden_tyler
08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
What the f--- is Lithuania doing?

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
At first I thought it was cool that the Tunisian NT was able to have a descent lead over Lithuania in the first half... But waiting till the end of the 3rd quarter to be able to get back in the game is completely unexpectable for Lithuania!

For sure Lithuania will win the game but why couldn't they take this game seriously like they did against the U.S?! (even if it's against an inferior team who are the African champions :p)

Richey666
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Lithuania left it all out against USA, I guess, who cares about Tunisia. :D

12:0 spurt now, they decided to start playing, just like US late in fourth :P

durden_tyler
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Ne'ermind my last post. All's back in order now :D

Nakule
08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
At first I thought it was cool that the Tunisian NT was able to have a descent lead over Lithuania in the first half... But waiting till the end of the 3rd quarter to be able to get back in the game is completely unexpectable for Lithuania!

For sure Lithuania will win the game but why couldn't they take this game seriously like they did against the U.S?! (even if it's against an inferior team who are the African champions :p)
Remember, Russians are watching us :cool:. There's nothing to worry about!

Jazz
08-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Anyone wonder if some more of the Tunisian players might start playing outside their own country soon?

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Remember, Russians are watching us :cool:. There's nothing to worry about!

That's why I'm worried. They have the phones tapped too you know.

:eek:

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Anyone wonder if some more of the Tunisian players might start playing outside their own country soon?

Indeed. Tunisia had a good double digit lead against Argentina after the first quarter and only lost by four points against France and Nigeria.

:confused:

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm definitely sure that Mejri is leaving Belgium for a better league and even though he wasn't impressive in the NBA summer league the guy can play in a good European league.

The real deal for this tournament for Tunisia though Macram Ben Romdhane (204-PF-89)! He is such a young talented player and I really hope he gets a chance to go play abroad... Why not in the French Pro A for example? (Especially considering that French is the second language in Tunisia)

madmax
08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm definitely sure that Mejri is leaving Belgium for a better league and even though he wasn't impressive in the NBA summer league the guy can play in a good European league.

The real deal for this tournament for Tunisia though Macram Ben Romdhane (204-PF-89)! He is such a young talented player and I really hope he gets a chance to go play abroad... Why not in the French Pro A for example? (Especially considering that French is the second language in Tunisia)

I'd love if Mejri played for my favourite team Rytas really...a guy is athletic, energetic and rebounds like a madman too. I'm surprised than no solid Euroleague or Eurocup team offered him a contract yet

Shawshank
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Its seems our players minds already were in 1/4 against russia...But when they got down -14 in 3 querter,they wake up and just shut down any tunisia offence.I dont know why we are playing so inconstantly,but its was hard i think to find motivation play tunisia,after playing usa.But this is not excuses,im was disapointed with this performance lietuva has shown.With such play we dont have aby chance againts russians...but i hope after bad game,gonna come good one and we gonna try to give a fight to russians...

Dreamcatcher
08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Our main pg Kalnietis and main center (at least he starts the game) Valanciunas are pathetically bad. I don't know why. Completely out of shape. Saras and Songaila (Hello to those who wanted only young squad) have to save our asses. Thanks to them. But will they manage to make the semifinal? I doubt, but who knows, it's sport.

lafa
08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I wonder if lithuanian hardcore fans still believe that Kemzura is not the one to blame...what's next? Losing to Luxembourg maybe?

And who in your opinion would be better choice if we don't count Kazlauskas? That clown Kurtinaitis?

Darknemo2000
08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Our main pg Kalnietis and main center (at least he starts the game) Valanciunas are pathetically bad. I don't know why. Completely out of shape. Saras and Songaila (Hello to those who wanted only young squad) have to save our asses. Thanks to them. But will they manage to make the semifinal? I doubt, but who knows, it's sport.

Valanciunas is broken mentally. Kemzura's rotation made him loose any confidence in himself now his hands are trembling and knees shaking. He is a lost case this summer and you wont get any help from him.

Kalnietis had 9 assists this game. Not as tragically , but admittingly the game looked bad when he was our main.

I would not say that Songaila and Saras saved our asses only. Seibutis and Jasaitis were just as huge if not more.

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Interesting! Kleiza and Pocius who starred against the United States struggled today but Kaukėnas, Seibutis and Jasaitis made great use of their playing time and lit up the stat sheet today. Meanwhile, Darius Songaila had yet another very productive game. And here prior to the tournament many prognosticaters thought he was too old and had lost it! Not so at all.

:cool:

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM

By the way look at these Tunisian youngsters who are already playing abroad:

Youssef Mejri (204-F-92) who is Salah's younger brother and plays in the NCAA with Davidson College
Sofian M'Rad (198-F-92) playing with CUESTA JC (NJCAA)
Karoui Hattab (198-F-93) playing with Gravelines in French Pro A

madmax
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
And who in your opinion would be better choice if we don't count Kazlauskas? That clown Kurtinaitis?

any coach, who doesn't rotate players like a possessed idiot would be better than the biggest clown of them all Kemzura. What is the point of even playin Valanciunas, when he sits on the bench for 3.5 quarters every game? Why are Seibutis and Jasaitis so underused in this tournament? Why turnover machines Kalnietis and Jasikevicius can get away with any BS they pull off and still stay in the game? Many questions and very little answers...oh well, at least we reached the quarters now and clueless federation will most probably state that "coach did a good job" after russians trash us on Wednesday:rolleyes:

Shawshank
08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Valanciunas is broken mentally. Kemzura's rotation made him loose any confidence in himself now his hands are trembling and knees shaking. He is a lost case this summer and you wont get any help from him.

Kalnietis had 9 assists this game. Not as tragically , but admittingly the game looked bad when he was our main.

I would not say that Songaila and Saras saved our asses only. Seibutis and Jasaitis were just as huge if not more.

I agree Jonas is lost,he a affraid to make foul or mistake,it can be seen in his eyes today...And this is mostly kemzuras fault.But the worst is we need him against russians bigs.

Again old horses songaila and jasikevicius is helping us alot when house is on fire...Seibutis and Jasaitis game was crusial on both sides.Songaila,Jankunas,Jasaitis,Seibutis,Jasikevi cius this 5 men combination on the court looked the best and saved us today from catastrophe...

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Our main pg Kalnietis and main center (at least he starts the game) Valanciunas are pathetically bad. I don't know why. Completely out of shape.

Well neither is physically out of shape. But they're not playing up to expectations. Kalnietis has been dishing out the assists but has been turning the ball over too often and hasn't found his shot. Valančiūnas has been getting his share of rebounds but doesn't have his touch around the basket and has been turning the ball over too often as well.

:(

Team Lietuva needs them both to come around before the next stage.

Jazz
08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
By the way look at these Tunisian youngsters who are already playing abroad:

Youssef Mejri (204-F-92) who is Salah's younger brother and plays in the NCAA with Davidson College
Sofian M'Rad (198-F-92) playing with CUESTA JC (NJCAA)
Karoui Hattab (198-F-93) playing with Gravelines in French Pro A

This is interesting. But it is also a good sign for their domestic league that their team was so competitive when so many of their players play there.

Straight forward
08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, the bad thing is that Lithuania showed it's inconsistency this summer again. The good thing is - next game might be the strong one :)

I'm not sure Kemzura making the right thing while rotating starting lineup. Pocius/Kaukėnas, Jasaitis/Mačiulis, Šaras/Kalnietis.

Take it easy on Valančiūnas. He's not doing bad with what he gets. Valančiūnas looked lost in offense, but he played pretty well in defence today. Rebounded well. Till this game he had 4,5 points, 2,3 rebounds and 0,5 blocks in 10 minutes. That's still good numbers per minute and that shows his potential. Rare playing time is not only due to his fouls, but it's just Kemzura's decision to go with experienced players no matter what. Valančiūnas is still a good student and you can't expect big impact with current playing time. It's good Songaila stepped in tonight and he played well against USA, but even tonight when Songaila played center we were horrible rebounding team. That's the biggest concern. Russia will kill us instantly if we will rebound as we did in the sceond half of this game...Actually we should think about having Kleiza, Jankunas and Jonas/Kavaliauskas/Songaila at the same time while playing against Russia (we need more size and stronger rebounding presence).

And how bad is Kalnietis these days... Hopefully he got some confidence back with these last minutes of the game.

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Why turnover machines Kalnietis and Jasikevicius can get away with any BS they pull off and still stay in the game?

But I don't see that Basketball Lithuania has any other point guards from which to choose. And while Jasikevičius has turned the ball over far more often than anyone but the opposition would like, his playmaking and shooting have been good otherwise.

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
This is interesting. But it is also a good sign for their domestic league that their team was so competitive when so many of their players play there.

That's true. If you look at the African Champions Cup for teams last year the best Tunisian team (ES Sahel) managed to defeat the defending Champions (1 de Agosto) of Angola in the final by a big margin 82-60. And this was the first time a Tunisian team wins this cup ;)

http://www.africabasket.com/African-Champions-Cup/basketball.asp?NewsID=254220

Raze Lupin
08-06-2012, 01:50 PM
I knew Tunisa would give them a tough fight. Tunisia has a lot of fight and heart. the have a few athletic guys with some skill.

Raze Lupin
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Liths got this but the first quarter will not be easy. It may be close in the 2nd half too.

See guys I told you all yesterday but no one listened......

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure Kemzura making the right thing while rotating starting lineup. Pocius/Kaukėnas, Jasaitis/Mačiulis, Šaras/Kalnietis.

I disagree. This Team Lietuva, like all the others since Arvydas Sabonis and Šarūnas Marčiulionis retired, is made up of basically interchangeable parts. Should coach Kemzūra not be going with whatever combination is working the best out there on the floor? It's his job to find it.

Straight forward
08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I disagree. This Team Lietuva, like all the others since Arvydas Sabonis and Šarūnas Marčiulionis retired, is made up of basically interchangeable parts. Should coach Kemzūra not be going with whatever combination is working the best out there on the floor? It's his job to find it.

The problem only is that this job is not exacty being done :) Our group strage was really bad, let's face it. All we done is a win against Nigeria and we were chasing Tunisia for 31 minute. if not the game against USA, I would give 5 out of 10 for this Kemzura's team in the group stage.

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
if not the game against USA, I would give 5 out of 10 for this Kemzura's team in the group stage.

I still give it only five out of ten. The team is 2-3 and it's beaten only the teams it should absolutely, positively beat. Team Lietuva has not yet won against a medal contender. Hopefully that first victory will come on Wednesday against Russia.

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
The problem only is that this job is not exacty being done :) Our group strage was really bad, let's face it. All we done is a win against Nigeria and we were chasing Tunisia for 31 minute. if not the game against USA, I would give 5 out of 10 for this Kemzura's team in the group stage.

Don't you think that hadn't Lithuania played in the pre-olympics against Nigeria they probably would have had problems against them in the Olympics as well ;) ?
I personally think it was good that Lithuania got to play and loose against Nigeria in the pre-olympics because this time around they were much more prepared for them.

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 08:24 PM

I agree Jonas is lost,he a affraid to make foul or mistake,it can be seen in his eyes today...And this is mostly kemzuras fault.

Broken mentally? Lost confidence? Afraid? You make it sound as if coach Kemzūra's primary job is not to win but to avoid bruising the fragile egos of his players. This is the Olympics, the big show! It's a short tournament. There's no tomorrow. Team Lietuva has to win right now! The coach doesn't have the luxury of bringing his players along slowly hoping they'll grow into their assigned roles. The players must immediately either perform to expectations on the floor or they must make way for another player.

There's no need to fret about poor Jonas Valančiūnas either. He's got a fat contract and at the age of twenty his best years are still ahead of him. Hopefully he's tough enough to learn a lot about the game from this early Olympic experience because ideally there will be several more to come.

Straight forward
08-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Don't you think that hadn't Lithuania played in the pre-olympics against Nigeria they probably would have had problems against them in the Olympics as well ;) ?
I personally think it was good that Lithuania got to play and loose against Nigeria in the pre-olympics because this time around they were much more prepared for them.

Off course it worked well for us! Even in that game Lithuania didn't shine. Just Nigeria didn't play that well. In other words general level of Lithuania is dissapointing this summer (just like last summer). Differently that Madmax I will root my last breath for Lithuania and I really want to see Lithuania going to the final finally, but I also would feel more comfortable with Kurtinaitis as a head coach any time.

Perfect thing for me: Lithuania going to the final and Kemzura do not getting new contract...:o

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Now why would you want the only coach to take Team Lietuva to the Olympic final replaced? Like I say, some of you fellows just don't like Kemzūra because of the brand of aftershave lotion he prefers or something. I'll assess Kemzūra on the basis of the results this team achieves.

madmax
08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Now why would you want the only coach to take Team Lietuva to the Olympic final replaced? Like I say, some of you fellows just don't like Kemzūra because of the brand of after shave lotion he prefers or something. I'll assess Kemzūra on the basis of the results this team achieves.

so keeping in mind that we most probably have only one game left (assuming the lightning won't struck in Russia game), how would you assess his work over the past two years really? Would you say that he did what he could have done and this team is incapable of more?

Hepcat
08-07-2012, 01:29 AM
2010 - A
2011 - C+
2012 - C+ (Including qualifying tournament so far.)

Straight forward
08-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Now why would you want the only coach to take Team Lietuva to the Olympic final replaced? Like I say, some of you fellows just don't like Kemzūra because of the brand of aftershave lotion he prefers or something. I'll assess Kemzūra on the basis of the results this team achieves.

I never was very comfortable with Kemzura's game style, coaching and player's selection (even in 2010 WC). As I said, for me it's important general view of the NT. 2004 NT failed in the bloody semifinal, but this team is now remembered is one of the most dominant European NTs of 00's. These Olympics so far is the worst if we speak about group stage (and that's the core of all the tournament), IMO. Kemzura might get away with important wins and he'll get credit if he'll do that, but for me as a fan it's not the only criteria as I said. For example fans were happy with 2005 Eurobasket NT because it seemed like we overachieving in the group stage with that roster and no-one blamed Sireika that we lost against strong France in 4finals because we saw I nice and strong basketball overall in that tournament.

And I'm the one who believes this NT could play better than they did. It's not about rosters limits. The roster is talanted - Marciulionis, Jovaisa, Sabonis, Kurtinaitis declared that. That's not only my opinion.

thegreekmeister
08-07-2012, 05:15 PM
2010 - A
2011 - C+
2012 - C+ (Including qualifying tournament so far.)

Could you translate it into numbers so that people would understand? Like 9/10, 5/10 etc? A must be 10/10? But there is A+, so A is 9.5/10? Or 9/10? What is C? :) 6/10? C+ 7/10? 6.5/10?

Hepcat
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
2010 - 9.25
2011 - 6.50
2012 - 6.50

A loss in the quarterfinal would drop this year's mark to 5.75. A win would raise it to 7.75.

;)

macleopard13
08-07-2012, 10:11 PM
2010 - 9.25
2011 - 6.50
2012 - 6.50

A loss in the quarterfinal would drop this year's mark to 5.75. A win would raise it to 7.75.

;)

Really? In strength, I'd say:
2008 - 8.0 (B-)
2009 - 5.0 (F)
2010 - 9.5 (A)
2011 - 6.5 (D)
2012 - 7.0 (C-)

Because, remember, we're facing good teams this tournament - Argentina, France, USA, even Nigeria and Tunisia. And we lost to Macedonia in 2011, which is not a really strong team. I think only Tunisia wouldn't have eaten us alive if we played them exactly as we did in 2011. If Russia crushes us, the rating will drop down to 6.5; if we make the game close but lose, it'll stay the same; if we win, it will go up to 7.5.