PDA

View Full Version : Group B, Day 5: Brazil vs. Spain

JGX
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/M1_Abrams-TUSK.svg/620px-M1_Abrams-TUSK.svg.png

Hepcat
08-05-2012, 07:48 PM
It's going to be a really ugly game. Whichever team wins will finish second and end up on the U.S. team's side of the bracket. Whichever team doesn't want it more will lose. Just to be on the safe side, fans should ask for a refund before this game.

;)

Dtown
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm ever the optimist, but yeah this has tank written all over it. I will definitely be rooting for Argentina/France in the following round.

Buzissa
08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
If both teams tank, shouldn't the best team (Spain) still win?:)
MARCA.COM did a poll and 56,6% want Spain to lose. Link (http://www.marca.com/2012/08/05/jjoo/baloncesto/1344129746.html)

guilherme.rcf
08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
For Spain it is a matter of not facing USA in the semifinal. For Brasil, a matter of avoiding playing agaisnt Argentina and then the USA.

So... Magnano should play Machado for 40 minutes.

Hepcat
08-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Despite the will to lose, I still expect plenty of diving, flopping and whining to the refs in this one. Old habits from childhood soccer die hard.

;)

Raze Lupin
08-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Brazil vs Spain will be a tank fest!

greenarcher
08-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Spain and Brazil are lucky that it's easier and less obvious to tank basketball games compared to badminton specially if they keep the game close which they can if they intentionally miss shots.

All they have to do is turn the ball over and miss some more shots come end game.

reamily
08-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I think the game should be whoever wins up to third quarter should tank the game... if they both want.. so they have to win to tank it hehehe

Shawshank
08-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I will definitely be rooting for Argentina/France in the following round.

+1................................................ .............................................

HeinrichMohr
08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I prefer to use the Italian word "biscotto", reminds me of football Euro 2012. Let the children play and then we'll see what happens, because if there is biscotto the people that really like basketball in Spain won't support their team in the next round (not the football fans that occasionally join the party). Anyway i guess that victory is the only valid finish for Spain tonight not to be suspicious.

auris1
08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
should they loose or not?
And who?
Either way Spain would be favourite in QT,be it second or third placed.
My guts go for Brazil to win.
Somehow

Ļ≤≥
08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm not watching the game, what are the impressions? Are they tanking?

Aegis
08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Damn.
Barbosa makes Spain's tanking easy.

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
It seems offensive fouls are the best strategy to indirectly tank this game :p and of course leave Barbosa take wide open 3's as well ;)

Gonzaka
08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
This is absolutely shameful.

The game developed similar to the others against GB and Russia. But rotations are weird.

Do we really wanna win a Gold medal and we are thinking in avoiding USA? Really????

If we tanked this game, we must do our package and leave London as quickly as possible. If not, as always, FIRE SCARIOLO.

Dtown
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
If Brazil tanked they did a piss poor job of it...Spain, well I didn't see the whole game, I'll let someone else decide that.

HeinrichMohr
08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Best thing for quarterfinals: France +40 and Scariolo goes home, they don't deserve to fight for medals

Panco
08-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Spainish players proved once again, what a bunch of c**ts they are, no offence to the nation as a whole. I honestly hope the French will kick their sorry asses.

Gonzaka
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Spainish players proved once again, what a bunch of c**ts they are, no offence to the nation as a whole. I honestly hope the French will kick their sorry asses.A part of me wants that.

Shawshank
08-06-2012, 08:50 PM
oh those spanish floopers ;) o love gasol reaction and acting on the bench when camera besides his face,damm we are loosing :D cha cha gasol you could do better acting than that...SHAME ON YOU SPAIN BASKETBALL! you shown how poor loosers you are...God damm i gonna support France like my own country in 1/4 Lets GO Tony and Batum !!! Just disguisting game by spanish floopers,you do not deserve be in olimpic games,you made joke of olimpic spirit and real athletes who are crying and giving everything they got in their hearts...

Grouam
08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
It's a shame, Scarolo must to go in jail. I hope all public support French.

AiwiTo
08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
hahahah, shame to SPAIN :D their are totally loosers. searching for a silver, comon, it's olympics,it should be fair play! i hope france kick your asses for these type of games! Go Parker, Go Batum, le Bleus gonna win on wednesdey, i hope!
16-31? are you kidding me? :)))

p.s. if not they, i hope we, in the semis :))

Srle
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Nice tanking Spain.

Dtown
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
31-16 in the fourth is suspect as hell...props to Brazil for at least taking the win though.

Toxicity
08-06-2012, 09:00 PM
It's a shame, Scarolo must to go in jail. I hope all public support French.

:D

I think Scariolo has nothing to do with this decision... obviously the players decided that.

Srle
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
DNA have failed Spain , is that so Mr Marc Gasol:D

Gonzaka
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Does anyone know why NenÍ Hilario didn't play today?

Navarro #7
08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Shame.

The best option to avoid these awful actings and such speculation, in my opinion, is to make a draw. No matter if a team ends second or third.

Raze Lupin
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM
31-16 in the fourth is suspect as hell...props to Brazil for at least taking the win though.

I watched the entire game and if Spain tanked they did a masterful job of it! If someone had no outside knowledge of the game reprecutions they would have observed a great game. Spain just fell short in the end. It was a masterpiece if it was indeed tanking.

Raze Lupin
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Plantar facietous. Foot injury.

Dtown
08-06-2012, 09:04 PM

I heard plantar fasciitis no idea how accurate that is though.

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 09:04 PM

It was actually those last 5-6 minutes were things got out of hand... Suddenly Barbosa was running on the court like he looked like Usain Bolt and managing to get wide open and take easy shots like that ;) (by the way he only took two 3's and scored both in the last 5 minutes of the game) Brazilian players like Varejao and Splitter getting easy shots from under the basket... and of course uncalled for silly fouls from the Spanish side like those offensive fouls and other fouls as well.

planaria
08-06-2012, 09:05 PM

NenÍ arrived at Olympics with a chronic injury in his foot that make him miss some preparation games. He is playing despite the pain in London. I think they choose to rest him in this game!

Dtown
08-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I watched the entire game and if Spain tanked they did a masterful job of it! If someone had no outside knowledge of the game reprecutions they would have observed a great game. Spain just fell short in the end. It was a masterpiece if it was indeed tanking.

Fair enough, like I said I was flipping back and forth (have a soft spot for the us women's soccer team sue me) so it's really impossible for me to say for sure.

madmax
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
plenty of posters overreacting here...all I saw was one team (Brazil) just wanting it more and outhustling Spain in the end. Let's not act like Brazil are a scrub squad too - they can beat any team in the world when they are hot

Gonzaka
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
TY all for the info about NenÍ.

Now some news about Spanish media:

Marca: "This defeat smooths the way".
As: "Sweet defeat of Spain".

I wanna kill someone.

guilherme.rcf
08-06-2012, 09:12 PM
During 3/4 of the game I was feeling just like I didnt care. But when we took the lead, I started to want the win. I bet that our players thought the same.

Straight forward
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Spain didn't tank the game, but didn't want it badly either. Spain said they want gold. I don't see big difference to meet USA in semis or the final than...

Gonzaka
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
FIBA will review the game. France requested it.

Khalid80
08-06-2012, 09:39 PM
FIBA will review the game. France requested it.

Wow! Is there any source for this?

Shawshank
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
who do not believe that spain give away the game download last 5minute of the game and look at the spanish body language.They were loosing and didnt do any presure, no emotions at all didnt even try to faul at the end of the game.All i saw in last minutes brasil scoring easily.Look with what tension spain played againts russian, and with what against brasil last qauerter if dont count last luul 3 point shoot 2 second left in the game,they lost 4 qauerter 12-31...yeah right spain play obvuosly better 3 querters and suddenly brasil begun playing like supermens aha :)

Gonzaka
08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow! Is there any source for this?Only tweets.

Edit: Finally not. FIBA denies it.

auris1
08-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Calm down people.
I think Spain lost the game on purpose.
yet... they managed to look as if they did do it almost naturally.
maybe,just maybe, Brazil fancied their chances vs France more
But for me it was obvious - Spain did not want to win

Kwijibo
08-06-2012, 11:48 PM
People is angry when we win and when we lose :rolleyes:

thegreekmeister
08-06-2012, 11:54 PM

Nope, only when you lose the games that 60% of your population wants to lose. That does not happen often.
Disgrace.

Terrorizer
08-07-2012, 12:28 AM
A total shame and disgrace for the basketball and the Olympic spirit. As most of you know, I have a soft spot for the Spanish basketball in my heart but these morons in Spanish NT jerseys need to be wiped out from London just like those badminton players. I believe that many reasonable guys in Spain and all neutral fans will root for the France and I want Frenchmen to whip these bastards asses. Go, Les Bleus! 16-31 last quarter, go burn in hell, sore Spanish losers. Evading a team USA in SF with this awful tanking and talking simultaneously about only gold in their mind - what a bunch of hypocrites.
It's a shame!
It's not the first time on the Olympics when this awful tanking occurs in major sports which is watched by millions of people all over the Globe. In the ice hockey tournament in Turin Winter Olympiad 2006 damned Swedish team lost on purpose its last game in the Group Stage in an ugly manner (0-3 against Slovakia) in order to get Switzerland in the QF and to avoid meeting Canada and Russia till the finals. And eventually these rascals won the gold cause both Canada and Russia failed miserably before the finals. In 2011 Peter Forsberg, one of the greatest hockey stars and a member of that team, confirmed that Swedes tanked that game (yet it was obvious for any sane person who saw it) but after IIHF officials were forced to say that they can start an investigation he quickly took his words back.
These things happening in the Olympics are disgusting but I hope passionately that these times scoundrels losing the game on purpose will be punished by basketball itself and will get eliminated in the QF with shame.
Well, excuse me for using rough language but I'm so upset but these things happening in Olympics.

durden_tyler
08-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Not totally upset at Spain.

You always ALWAYS put yourself in the better position to win (in this case, long-term over short-term, the tournament over a game)-- if that means taking two steps backward... So be it.

If any, you can blame the tournament format because it's open to abuses/loopholes such as this one.

janos
08-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Wake up and smell the exhaust gas.
Spain NT didn't kill the Olympic spirit neither did it put another nail in its coffin,all they did was put a small stone in the mountain over its tomb.
Hey, even the ancient Greeks did so and they gave birth to the damn thing.

weward
08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
fvck it. i wasnt able to watch the game.

so the bracketing turned out to be all-european & all-americas(+australia).

Federoy
08-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Hmmm...Let's see. Spain is cruising along for the first three quarters of the game (66-57 at the start of the fourth), seemingly in control. All of a sudden Brazil has an offensive outburst and outscores them 31-16 in the final quarter to win the game 88-82. Coincidence? The Spaniard's body language and demeanor in the four quarter said it all.

Raze Lupin
08-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Fair enough, like I said I was flipping back and forth (have a soft spot for the us women's soccer team sue me) so it's really impossible for me to say for sure.

They may have tanked but it just looked like they lost steam. Similar to the Russia and Great Britain games. There is a pattern there so it's hard to say they tanked.

iskoch
08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't see anything wrong or disgrace for the basketball and the Olympic spirit.
It's quite normal that Spain didn't want to get USA in semi-final.
The only problem is playing until the 4th quarter seriously but losing in the 4th quarter.
They should have lost from the beginning imo... :)

kalashnikov
08-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Everybody pretty much agrees that Spain flopped the match. I didn't like it when Greece was doing it in the past, I didn't like it when Spain did it now. any team should not be used to the idea of loss. Especially the top-level teams.

It is primarily a matter of the Olympic committee to decide whether they should act here. I don't think they will, but in light of the punishment of the badminton athletes, perhaps the IOC should show that it takes all appropriate measures to get rid of the Olympics from flopping in all matches, no matter how famous the opponent is. But then again the Spanish flop may not have been as obvious as the badminton one...

Victorious
08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Greece was punished when they tanked against Russia two years ago. The refs against Spain in the next game were tragic for Greece and favored Spain all the way.

France is the unlucky one in every occasion. In 2010 they were the victims when Greece tanked the game against Russia in order to play against France rather that Spain and USA. The French saw what the Greeks had in mind and decided to avoid the Greeks by loosing to New Zealand. The problem is that the game got out of their hands and they accidently lost by two points too many. So instead of avoiding the Greeks and play Russia, the French had to play against the hosts Turkey. They lost that game.

Now, the French will have to play Spain, even though they have had a very good tournament so far. I really feel sorry for those guys, because I just don't think they can beat Spain in a K.O. game.

Wayne White
08-07-2012, 08:25 AM
The question that comes to mind is what is the Spain NT competing for? A shot at a gold or silver medal, or for the right to say they have the best team in the world and played like champions?
There is no doubt in my mind that Spain (one of my fav teams in this tournament) came into this game not looking for a win and wanting to settle with the L and the better positioning. That tells me that the Spain team is afraid of playing the U.S. early and are willing to settle for a silver medal instead of trying to play the U.S. early and a chance at bronze or not placing at all if they lost. This is not the spirit of the Olympics, tanking for a silver and a small chance at gold. This isn't the spirit of the great Spain nation, a nation of pride in their atheltics, but yet even the majority of spains fans was happy that the NT lost. a shameful performance to say the least. I understand the want for gold, and the ability to settle and cope with silver is alot better than trying to cope for Bronze or not medal at all, but this is the olympics, your country's name and pride on your jersey and you go out and bomb a game like this is nothing but shameful. I garintee if USA NT was in this situation they would play to win, why? cause of pride, there is too much pride in the American basketball and fans to accept losing thats why they sent these past two star studded teams in 08 and 12 because their pride was hurt severely when they brought home a bronze medal in 04( Lebron claims he has no idea where that Bronze medal is, most the players from that team claim to have lost or just put that medal 'in the back' because it is a sighn of shame and failure to them). I am not saying Spain has failed, but their is nothing but shame in a game like this. People want to see you play your best game in and game out and show why your one of the favorits, not tank a L to better your positioning.

P.S. Shame on the IOC for not reviewing this game, after throwing out 8 badmitten players for doing the same thing just not as crafty as this Spain team was. a review at minimum should of been done not saying they should DQ spain but punishing them by puting them on the otherside of the bracket anyways (if it was o with Brazil to switch) would seem sufficient enough.

Shawshank
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Right now you are acting and playing stupid as yesterdays spain in 4 querter...Look at the olimpic spirit,the best athletes in the world are competing and how many there were break downs after fail,when you see such strong and tough atheletes like Tyson Gay with tears in his eyes you feel and understand what OLimpic games its all about...Do yuo really want to win like that without any pride for your nations flag ? Dont you think people are dumb and dont sees what is happening...People will remeber not that the spain won the silver,but they will remember how cowardy they won it...If it goes ok for spanish nation to win like that ok. Win that silver and get boos for every nation its your own desicion.But real spotmen,sportfan will never support such dirty teams...Olimpics games its way more than only to get a medal.

Victorious
08-07-2012, 10:46 AM
The question that comes to mind is what is the Spain NT competing for? A shot at a gold or silver medal, or for the right to say they have the best team in the world and played like champions?
There is no doubt in my mind that Spain (one of my fav teams in this tournament) came into this game not looking for a win and wanting to settle with the L and the better positioning. That tells me that the Spain team is afraid of playing the U.S. early and are willing to settle for a silver medal instead of trying to play the U.S. early and a chance at bronze or not placing at all if they lost. This is not the spirit of the Olympics, tanking for a silver and a small chance at gold. This isn't the spirit of the great Spain nation, a nation of pride in their atheltics, but yet even the majority of spains fans was happy that the NT lost. a shameful performance to say the least. I understand the want for gold, and the ability to settle and cope with silver is alot better than trying to cope for Bronze or not medal at all, but this is the olympics, your country's name and pride on your jersey and you go out and bomb a game like this is nothing but shameful. I garintee if USA NT was in this situation they would play to win, why? cause of pride, there is too much pride in the American basketball and fans to accept losing thats why they sent these past two star studded teams in 08 and 12 because their pride was hurt severely when they brought home a bronze medal in 04( Lebron claims he has no idea where that Bronze medal is, most the players from that team claim to have lost or just put that medal 'in the back' because it is a sighn of shame and failure to them). I am not saying Spain has failed, but their is nothing but shame in a game like this. People want to see you play your best game in and game out and show why your one of the favorits, not tank a L to better your positioning.

P.S. Shame on the IOC for not reviewing this game, after throwing out 8 badmitten players for doing the same thing just not as crafty as this Spain team was. a review at minimum should of been done not saying they should DQ spain but punishing them by puting them on the otherside of the bracket anyways (if it was o with Brazil to switch) would seem sufficient enough.

There is no wat to prove that Spain tanked the game. Sure, players are not machines, and they can say they weren't motivated enough to win. But proving they lost on purpose is impossible. Even though I think they did loose on purpose. The IOC can punish them indirectly, but setting up refs which will favor France. This can happen.

Kwijibo
08-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Greece was punished when they tanked against Russia two years ago. The refs against Spain in the next game were tragic for Greece and favored Spain all the way.

France is the unlucky one in every occasion. In 2010 they were the victims when Greece tanked the game against Russia in order to play against France rather that Spain and USA. The French saw what the Greeks had in mind and decided to avoid the Greeks by loosing to New Zealand. The problem is that the game got out of their hands and they accidently lost by two points too many. So instead of avoiding the Greeks and play Russia, the French had to play against the hosts Turkey. They lost that game.

Now, the French will have to play Spain, even though they have had a very good tournament so far. I really feel sorry for those guys, because I just don't think they can beat Spain in a K.O. game.
I think thata random greek thinks thata good refs for them is the typical that they see in oaka at EL matches

Kwijibo
08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Right now you are acting and playing stupid as yesterdays spain in 4 querter...Look at the olimpic spirit,the best athletes in the world are competing and how many there were break downs after fail,when you see such strong and tough atheletes like Tyson Gay with tears in his eyes you feel and understand what OLimpic games its all about...Do yuo really want to win like that without any pride for your nations flag ? Dont you think people are dumb and dont sees what is happening...People will remeber not that the spain won the silver,but they will remember how cowardy they won it...If it goes ok for spanish nation to win like that ok. Win that silver and get boos for every nation its your own desicion.But real spotmen,sportfan will never support such dirty teams...Olimpics games its way more than only to get a medal.

It happens in every european tournament. All little teams boos spain but we overwhelm them. SO i really don't care about what thinks other countries. I only care about defeat them. First stage france

Raze Lupin
08-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Guys, There is no way to prove that Spain tanked by simply watching the games. The Spain vs Brazil game follows the pattern of all there other games Spain played. Spain only beat Great Britain by +2 or +3. Then Spain lost to Russia be a narrow margin, +4 I believe. Both games Spain was leading then lost momentum in the end. The Brazil game was very simialar to the Great Britain and Russia games. There is an establihed pattern. There is no way to say they tanked. I believe its possible they tanked BUT its dificult to prove. It looks from the evidence that Spain is weak.

Straight forward
08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
When Spain destroys the opponents they are "flopping" (Argentina never was blamed because of that in these forums though their are way talented at that point). When Spain is being destroyed - they are still "flopping" :D

Poor Spain! And off course there will be enough of Greeks that will come and say some words about the devils from Spain :p

HeinrichMohr
08-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Guys, There is no way to prove that Spain tanked by simply watching the games. The Spain vs Brazil game follows the pattern of all there other games Spain played. Spain only beat Great Britain by +2 or +3. Then Spain lost to Russia be a narrow margin, +4 I believe. Both games Spain was leading then lost momentum in the end. The Brazil game was very simialar to the Great Britain and Russia games. There is an establihed pattern. There is no way to say they tanked. I believe its possible they tanked BUT its dificult to prove. It looks from the evidence that Spain is weak.

Agreed, they are quite irregular and i'm not very sure if they will wake up in the knockout stage as they did in the EC 2009.

Hepcat
08-07-2012, 03:41 PM
The French saw what the Greeks had in mind and decided to avoid the Greeks by loosing to New Zealand. The problem is that the game got out of their hands and they accidently lost by two points too many.

That says it all I'm afraid.

:(

kalashnikov
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I believe its possible they tanked BUT its dificult to prove.
there was never proof on any other occasion. Just the speculation and gut feeling of fans

Raze Lupin
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Agreed, they are quite irregular and i'm not very sure if they will wake up in the knockout stage as they did in the EC 2009.

If I was a Spain fan I would be worried. Spain seems to be playing without energy. Usually Navarro, Fernandez, Calderon bring energy in the game by making plays. This year Spain seems dull.

there was never proof on any other occasion. Just the speculation and gut feeling of fans

Hate does not need proof. It only needs a focal point.

Buzissa
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I am with Raze in this one. I don't think it was tanking. Just watched the 4th quarter and Spain just did not care that much when Brazil did the comeback. All the talking about how good the loss would be certainly got into players minds. The outcome of the game became meaningless, like in a friendly game. Could Spain try harder? Surely. But they were not trying to lose. Call me naive, but this is how I see it.

thegreekmeister
08-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Not caring in the last half, no emotions "for the win" - body language, no working hard at the D and stuff like that.

thegreekmeister
08-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I am with Raze in this one. I don't think it was tanking. Just watched the 4th quarter and Spain just did not care that much when Brazil did the comeback.
And? Did you expect something more obvious than that? Spaniards putting the ball directly in brasilians hands or not coming back to defence, or shooting "balloon" shots?
To tank a game against strong opponent its only enough to "not care that much". Nothing more is needed.

planaria
08-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Lost on purpose or not, the fact is that Spain isnt not even as good I thought they would be at the Olympic Games (a dominant force

That said, Brazil was a crazy Fidzon trey from been the only team unbeatable beside US.

Tomorrow, another classic derby against Argentina. Maybe the most important in decades. It should be fun to watch!

Raze Lupin
08-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I am with Raze in this one. I don't think it was tanking. Just watched the 4th quarter and Spain just did not care that much when Brazil did the comeback. All the talking about how good the loss would be certainly got into players minds. The outcome of the game became meaningless, like in a friendly game. Could Spain try harder? Surely. But they were not trying to lose. Call me naive, but this is how I see it.

Exactly this is how they played against Great Britain too. Spain could easily be 2 wins and 3 losses. Spain needs to wake up they look sleepy and tired. They have no energy to finish games. Great Britain, Rusdia and Brazil all outlasted them.

Not caring in the last half, no emotions "for the win" - body language, no working hard at the D and stuff like that.

Yes what you describe can be seen in all 3 of Spain's collapses in group. They fell apart in the second half in all 3 games. So there is a pattern. It's not like Spain has been dominating and then they gave up on Brazil. They almost lost against Great Britain in the final moments. Spain is one Deng shot away from being 2 wins 3 losses. Spain does not look good. Confidence seems low. To me it looked like they gave up in the Russia game.

L8DBACK
08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Spain knew where they stand in Group B after not so good performance in the preliminaries. In order to salvage whats left of their quest for the Gold, they knew they had to lose to Brazil. They have great incentive to lose in their final installment in the Olympic basketball pool play.

Spainís loss to Brazil is something that the team and fans wanted to stay away from the USA until the gold medal game. Spain finished third in their group. If they finished second they couldíve played the USA in the semifinals. Multiple Spanish newspapers running polls that suggest a majority of fans support the idea of letting Brazil win.

Spain squandered an 11-point lead against Brazil and handing Brazil a victory that will send them to the Americans' half of the draw and Spain to the opposite half. By contrast, they would fall into a quarterfinal matchup with France and likely see Russia in the semifinals avoiding the Americans until the gold-medal game.

Spain would appear to have an advantage, if one can call it that, in the event that it decided a loss would lead to the best overall gold-medal path. Spanish cornerstones Juan Carlos Navarro (foot) and Marc Gasol both have been playing hurt and can justifiably be rested for the Brazil game that wraps up Group B. Spain fell to Brazil without their center Nene.

Spain has been denying and avoiding the issue.

"Please, this is really -- I don't want to be disrespectful but this is not an intelligent issue to talk about," Spain coach Sergio Scariolo said. "Knowing who I am, who my players are... this is not an intelligent issue we are discussing."

But speculation was rampant despite Spain denying they would give any less to settle for a third seed did nothing to end the controversy.

Raze Lupin
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Spain squandered an 11-point lead against Brazil and handing Brazil a victory that will send them to the Americans' half of the draw and Spain to the opposite half. By contrast, they would fall into a quarterfinal matchup with France and likely see Russia in the semifinals avoiding the Americans until the gold-medal game.

Spain would appear to have an advantage, if one can call it that, in the event that it decided a loss would lead to the best overall gold-medal path. Spanish cornerstones Juan Carlos Navarro (foot) and Marc Gasol both have been playing hurt and can justifiably be rested for the Brazil game that wraps up Group B. Spain fell to Brazil without their center Nene.

"Please, this is really -- I don't want to be disrespectful but this is not an intelligent issue to talk about," Spain coach Sergio Scariolo said. "Knowing who I am, who my players are... this is not an intelligent issue we are discussing."

But speculation was rampant despite Spain denying they would give any less to settle for a third seed did nothing to end the controversy.

1) Yes spain blew an 11point lead. They also blew leads against Great Britain and Russia. The Brazil game should be no surprise. If fits the pattern of Spain's poor group play. Blowing an 11 point lead is not so suspicios considering the way they've played.

2)Navarro and Gasol both played against Brazil. Navarro played late game minutes. If Spain was trying to intentionally lose they wouldn't have had there best injured players in the game late. They should have rested those players.

3) "speculation is rampant" yeah its just speculation. Spain played 3 bad games in group this was one of them. Before the lost to Russia, Spain squandered a lead and almost loss to Great Britain. The same Great Britain that Australia beat by 30 points. The same Great Britain that finished 1/4 in group. Great Britain....

Spain could turn it around and be in the gold medal game. Nothing so far says that this team has it together enough to make it to the final.

Raze Lupin
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM

1) Yes spain blew an 11point lead. They also blew leads against Great Britain and Russia. The Brazil game should be no surprise. If fits the pattern of Spain's poor group play. Blowing an 11 point lead is not so suspicios considering the way they've played.

2)Navarro and Gasol both played against Brazil. Navarro played late game minutes. If Spain was trying to intentionally lose they wouldn't have had there best injured players in the game late. They should have rested those players.

3) "speculation is rampant" yeah its just speculation. Spain played 3 bad games in group this was one of them. Before the lost to Russia, Spain squandered a lead and almost loss to Great Britain. The same Great Britain that Australia beat by 30 points. The same Great Britain that finished 1/4 in group. Great Britain....

Spain could turn it around and be in the gold medal game. Nothing so far says that this team has it together enough to make it to the final.

L8DBACK
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM

"Spain could turn it around and be in the gold medal game. Nothing so far says that this team has it together enough to make it to the final." Have you changed your mind yet?