JGX
08-02-2012, 12:16 AM
over/unders:

Mills minutes played minus Dellavedova minutes played: 0.5
Mills FGA minus Dellavedova FGA: 7.5
Yi Jianlian points: 20.5

Dtown
08-02-2012, 12:29 AM
The three way battle for the last spot in group B begins here. I think the Aussies take it.

durden_tyler
08-02-2012, 01:26 AM
This game will basically define what tier China is in. Do they belong to the upper half?

ricklin1982
08-02-2012, 01:39 AM
We need to win this or we will definitely go home after group stage. But I think Australia has at least 70% chance of winning. Show us what you can Bob Donewald.

I can predict this is going to be a very physical game..

sinobball
08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
China leading 15-8 early, Wang Shipeng finding his range.
This game is winnable by us, our zone is disrupting Australia's offense a lot.

sinobball
08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Damn we trail 30-44 already, they making literally all the 3's they take while we struggle breaking their defense. Our offense looks better than the Russia game but still too stagnant! Come on!

sinobball
08-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Wang Shipeng 6/7 from 3 tonight, cutting the deficit a little bit. Offense still sucks, what's the point of getting the big man getting the ball at the top of the key and then spend 8 seconds finding another player before a turnover? Perimeter players cannot get to the rim.

sinobball
08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow how useless can Wang Zhizhi get? Still he's better than Zhang Zhaoxu.

usagre
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
China will never improve, they will always be fighting for that final spot every time

sinobball
08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Pathetic. Practice games against short and sub-par teams really gave everyone too much false hope. Also very disappointed at Donewald and his staff, have they even practiced free throws at least? How to break full-court press? Any offense when Yi J.L. can't get the ball?

Congrats to Australia, showed a lot of heart in the 4th quarter, I bet the other games won't be nearly this easy though.

At least our women's bball team showed they have heart, teamwork and effort, they are the only team I will support from now on in London, even if they also lose all the remaining games.

greenarcher
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
As usual, Sun Yue sucked. Hahaha. Has playing ball in USA done nothing to hone his skills? He might be better off playing in the CBA given the results.

Yi Li has potential but he can only dominate against Asian opponents. This will probably be WZZ's last Olympics, he's already too old.

sinobball
08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Sun Yue doesn't play in the US, he has an owner who pays him millions for dressing up against jetlagged semi-pro ABA teams from America a few dozen times a year in Chinese cities though, the owner paying for the American teams' traveling of course. When he plays well the owner releases reports to the national media with his statline, if he doesn't it's OK, nobody remembers that the games took place. He can't play in the CBA because the owner hates the CBA and much rather he plays against him. He also has a singing career going, mostly duets because the owner wants to promote the girls that he slept with, even though Sun's voice is William Hung-esque. He has also been caught by paparazzi engaging in car romps. But he's very popular among teenage girls since he dyed his hair red (that must be the reason).

Khalid80
08-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Sun Yue doesn't play in the US, he has an owner who pays him millions for dressing up against jetlagged semi-pro ABA teams from America a few dozen times a year in Chinese cities though, the owner paying for the American teams' traveling of course. When he plays well the owner releases reports to the national media with his statline, if he doesn't it's OK, nobody remembers that the games took place. He can't play in the CBA because the owner hates the CBA and much rather he plays against him. He also has a singing career going, mostly duets because the owner wants to promote the girls that he slept with, even though Sun's voice is William Hung-esque. He has also been caught by paparazzi engaging in car romps. But he's very popular among teenage girls since he dyed his hair red (that must be the reason).

Harsh words :eek: .... but it's all true... At least he has a hot supermodel girlfriend he can be proud of dating :p (unless he's no longer with Gu Chen as i'm not up to date regarding this issue)

sinobball
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Harsh words :eek: .... but it's all true... At least he has a hot supermodel girlfriend he can be proud of dating :p (unless he's no longer with Gu Chen as i'm not up to date regarding this issue)Gu Chen is already married to someone else, Sun was just recently spotted with a skank in Beijing by paparazzi before the team left for London, it's a different girl from the car-romp one as well, and I lost count, but that's the least of the issue here.

China will never improve, they will always be fighting for that final spot every timeUnfortunately it's true from the looks of it. The people in charge better think seriously about the best ways to improve so as to not to get further and further behind, money is not an issue with China but everything else is.

Khalid80
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Gu Chen is already married to someone else, Sun was just recently spotted with a skank in Beijing by paparazzi before the team left for London, it's a different girl from the car-romp one, and I lost count too, but that's the least of the issue here

I see. Duo xie for the info.

Unfortunately it's true from the looks of it. The people in charge better think seriously about how to improve so as to not to get further and further behind, money is not an issue with China but everything else is.

At least there's hope for the future... Ever since Yao retired China hasn't been at it's best but I really think in around 5 years time China will again be a strong world class team if the likes of Wang Zhelin and Zhou Qi continue with their rapid skills and physical development.

sinobball
08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
At least there's hope for the future... Ever since Yao retired China hasn't been at it's best but I really think in around 5 years time China will again be a strong world class team if the likes of Wang Zhelin and Zhou Qi continue with their rapid skills and physical development.
I doubt it, Wang Zhelin and Zhou Qi's ceilings are probably Wang Zhizhi and Yi Jianlian so even if they maximize their potential (difficult) it won't be an improvement unless we get significantly better players in the other positions, which I'm not seeing.

The only way is to improve the CBA gradually, since sending players to other leagues (NCAA, Europe etc.) is unlikely to improve the NT as a whole. While NBA level imports have raised the levels of play I also think they took away too many chances from Chinese players, the Chinese players are becoming too dependent on them for everything, especially offense and rebounds. We need to get some revisions in place, maybe 1 import per team like the women's league (seeing how the women's NT is having more success), or some variations maximizing the good side of imports while reducing the negative side, or maybe a format like the Philippine PBA with different conferences.

greenarcher
08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
I think it's already evident that having 2 super imports from US plus more imports from elsewhere do not raise the level of basketball. If any, it has only backfired.

What China lacks is the exposure of their youngsters in playing in the US NCAA. At least we have a lot of those, more than China for sure. Too bad they just don't have the Chinese height. Is there any reason why the China government wouldn't send kids like Guo, Yi and Sun (before) to US to study?

Didn't know Sun has such an admirable life. Getting paid millions for basically nothing in return while still being able to get all the hot girls.

Khalid80
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
The only way is to improve the CBA gradually, since sending players to other leagues (NCAA, Europe etc.) is unlikely to improve the NT as a whole. While NBA level imports have raised the levels of play I also think they took away too many chances from Chinese players, the Chinese players are becoming too dependent on them for everything, especially offense and rebounds. We need to get some revisions in place, maybe 1 import per team like the women's league (seeing how the women's NT is having more success), or some variations maximizing the good side of imports while reducing the negative side, or maybe a format like the Philippine PBA with different conferences.

Actually I was going to say that maybe it's now time for the top Chinese players in the CBA to try their luck at playing in Europe... It doesn't always have to be either the NBA or back to the CBA. I know language and different cultures will be a difficult aspect for the Chinese players to adapt to but it's something that should be done sooner or later... And by Europe of course i'm talking about the top leagues in Europe like the ACB, Serie A, Turkish League, A1, PBL, etc.

But for sure trying to improve the CBA, maybe by adjusting some of its rules would be the solution for this... Basketball experts should be invited to China to discuss the best ways this can be done or the CBA can try to emulate other top leagues...

And when it comes to the NT coach maybe it's time for China to go back to European coaches like the days of Jonas Kazlauskas.

sinobball
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
What China lacks is the exposure of their youngsters in playing in the US NCAA. At least we have a lot of those, more than China for sure. Too bad they just don't have the Chinese height. Is there any reason why the China government wouldn't send kids like Guo, Yi and Sun (before) to US to study?
You need to get the "China government can control anyone" thought out of your head, if "China government" has any say, Sun Yue wouldn't have been wasting his most important years playing no organized basketball. Getting a player in the NCAA is the player's own individual matter, and it's hard because it's costly. While lettermen go to college for free, it's almost impossible for Chinese players to get in to college without spending 1-2 years in the U.S. high schools to at least learn English, and that is extremely expensive since only private high schools will accept them. Right now we have some NCAA players, Grant Sun Hefeng, Xu Tao, Ted Wang Zeming, and has been having at least 2-3 every year for the past 5 years or so, that may not match the Philippines which has an English-language culture, but it's more than Japan or Korea or Taiwan combined. But like I said, doubtful that will improve Chinese bball much, especially since NCAA doesn't develop big men well and most of our NCAA players are tall players (short players have too much risk trying to pursue the NCAA route, they may not get a scholarship.) For instance, we have 1 player on the NT with NCAA background, "Max" Zhang Zhaoxu, he is the least skilled player and really only played like 10 games in 4 years (2007-2010, including high school where he only played in Asian-American leagues with average height of 5'9'') in the U.S., had he stayed in China I'm sure he would have improved his skills much better. The other 3-4 players returning from the NCAA to play in CBA (again all bigs) also look unskilled.

Actually I was going to say that maybe it's now time for the top Chinese players in the CBA to try their luck at playing in Europe... It doesn't always have to be either the NBA or back to the CBA. I know language and different cultures will be a difficult aspect for the Chinese players to adapt to but it's something that should be done sooner or later... And by Europe of course i'm talking about the top leagues in Europe like the ACB, Serie A, Turkish League, A1, PBL, etc.
You missed the point, who in Europe wants Chinese players? We are not Australia or Brazil or Argentina, where most players can get European passports from ancestry. Players like Yi Jianlian can compete with American imports, but most cannot, so why would European teams want Chinese players, as compared to American players (especially since Chinese players cannot speak English and have a larger cultural barrier)? From 2002-2012 I've only heard of less than 4-5 invitations from top European teams and the ones that were invited (Wang Zhizhi, Mengke Bateer) were already of high levels that they played in NBA. The point is developing 2nd-tier players and nobody in Europe wants them.