PDA

View Full Version : Group A, Day 2: Lithuania vs. Nigeria

JGX
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Lithuania looking to avenge the upset loss from the OQT. Of course this time they won't be throwing the game to eliminate the hosts on purpose ;)

Over/under for plays drawn up by Bakare in the Nigerian huddle is 0.5.

Lithuania more of a swimming nation now I guess.

Straight forward
07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Lithuania more of a swimming nation now I guess.

LOL! We have a new most popular sportsman (oh, sportswoman). Some rest for Valančiūnas I guess :p Seriously, respect to Rūta Meilutytė. This gold medal means a lot for such country as Lithuania.

As for the game: rebounds and transition defence. No idea about the result, but Lithuania should start showing signs of real basketball.

Dtown
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I can't see Lithuania being had again by Nigeria, especially in front of what will likely be a raucous crowd. However I feel it will be closer than our Lithuanian friends would like.

usagre
07-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I can't see Lithuania being had again by Nigeria, especially in front of what will likely be a raucous crowd. However I feel it will be closer than our Lithuanian would like.

I disagree Nigeria will win and Lithuania will have a similar tournament to Serbia in 2004

Pleasant
07-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Over/under for plays drawn up by Bakare in the Nigerian huddle is 0.5.

I lol'd, but I'll take the over if "ISO and pray" counts as a play :P

Hepcat
07-31-2012, 03:49 AM
I disagree Nigeria will win and Lithuania will have a similar tournament to Serbia in 2004.

Interesting too that Serbia hasn't been back to the show since.

;)

May your hopes be dashed though.

:p

Shawshank
07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I disagree Nigeria will win and Lithuania will have a similar tournament to Serbia in 2004

Maybe you are right maybe you are not.I know that our players are mad at theirselfs right now and they do not forgot first game vs nigeria and talks after it...This can be statement game for lithuania to move forward or as you say end up as serbia in 2004...

Darknemo2000
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
This can be statement game for lithuania to move forward or as you say end up as serbia in 2004...

Or Poland in 2009. There is a tendency of between 4-5 years gap where we terribly suck. Maybe this is the time for us to suck again. Bit earlier than usual but who knows with our wonderful coach's strategy of centers defending three point line rather than staying under the basket, anything can happen.

Marty
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
No s*it! Lithuanians still didn't forget how to play basketball. It's time to show it for a some idiots damn it! :mad:

Raze Lupin
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Does anyone have a diffrent link to the game. Im on the Lrytas.lt sight but I can not find the game. Can someone please tell what to click to find the game? I can not read Lithuanian. :) Thanks

Nikoo
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
http://hdsport.me/ stream 1

Nigeria cannot hit the front side of a barn.

Raze Lupin
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Many thanks!!!

Dtown
07-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Dogfight so far, Lithuania looked like they might put this away but as we saw in the OQT no lead is really safe with Nigeria.

Refs need to decide if they're going to let these two teams play, or call it tight. One or the other, not both.

kestiz
07-31-2012, 02:22 PM
nigeria gets so many rebounds its crazy, wish our team was black xD

Illegal2k10
07-31-2012, 02:26 PM

or learn how to box out. Especially Kaukenas.

LTbotd
07-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Did you knew that when you have 7 seconds on a shot clock, yo actually have 0 seconds. :D :D What a joke.

Illegal2k10
07-31-2012, 03:17 PM
secretariat is a joke. How the hell amatuers got jobs like these hehe

Darknemo2000
07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Lol the secretariat even gave foul to Jonas Valanciunas who wasnt on the court. Really great britain need to find better persons for the game secretariat.

LTbotd
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
In first half game and shot clocks were stopped for about 10 seconds, yet no one seemed to care :D :D

kestiz
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
congrats first victory )

Raze Lupin
07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

or learn how to box out. Especially Kaukenas.

The best rebounder on the USA team is white. :cool:

Mojado
07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Congrats to Lithuania!
And with this loss, Nigeria is practically out of the tournament. Bad outside shooting and sometimes really bad decisions (one against five is not what you are looking for against LIT). Playing with no visible tactic does not help either. Anyway, the participation itself has been a success. Oh, and now where are the Greek to tell us,that they would have won against Nigeria in London with these refs...:D

Shawshank
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
tough figthing game.Now we chances to fight for 3 rd place in group (and avoid spain in 1/4 ).Next game game againts France is critical...Good job Lietuva today !

arunas
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
3 pointers shots were still horrible. I don't think liths did a good job, just that nigerians did worse job than liths. Sure def looked a little better than last game (moved more and prediced high ppl/centers moves well by blocking their way and forcing difficult shots at the times, but arg had better systematic attacks and they make 3 pointers) and some nice passes under the basket. But (!) quite a few passes were stopped/overtaken.

Overall I would not say this game was good game played by liths, it's just that Nigeria played a horrible game (30% 2 points, 6% 3 points). Average Olympics team would of probably made a tight game, and I am not talking good teams here

Well def moved better than with arg play (which is good) but still lots of things to do to even try to be competitive in these Olympics. 3 point shooters ( 'small' ppl. that can't go under the basket and freely make opportunities there should better make sure they can shoot 3 pointers or contribute to team with great opportunities/passes/cut-ins (1 on 1 cut ins like Edney ("Zalgiris" times))).

And def has still lots of improvements to be done. Def is still lacking energy and 'stickiness' to opponents. I did saw 1 player (did not check his name but looks like point guard) from lith that stuck to nigerian player like honey to the bee (4th quater or (3rd) I think). I remember he was chasing that player out of 3 point line and just looking at that player all the time making even hard to get a ball for him.

Hepcat
07-31-2012, 04:46 PM
tough figthing game.Now we chances to fight for 3 rd place in group (and avoid spain in 1/4 ).

How can you be so sure that Spain will finish in first place in the other group? I'm not. Russia looks really good so far.

:confused:

Victorious
07-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Congrats to Lithuania!
And with this loss, Nigeria is practically out of the tournament. Bad outside shooting and sometimes really bad decisions (one against five is not what you are looking for against LIT). Playing with no visible tactic does not help either. Anyway, the participation itself has been a success. Oh, and now where are the Greek to tell us,that they would have won against Nigeria in London with these refs...:D

Greece should have won against Nigeria with any refs. But as Saras said, the pre-olympics were very risky for the European teams because they didn't have time to prepare. This is always in favor of the lesser teams. And Greece was the unlucky one.

Lithuania lost to Nigeria too in Venezuela, but Nigeria had no chance against a better prepared Lithuania.

Good for Nigeria, bad for the tournament. Greece would have been a formidable opponent for many team and the fans would enjoy Greece.

mik3gr
07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
...and a team of decent American players with a few weeks practice is still good enough to beat a top European team in a big game.
It seems to me that they are not good enough for such an achievement unless the players of the "top European team" are coming after a very hard season in Euroleague and one of the top European leagues with only 6 days preparation time (and next to zero resting time) :)

JGX
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
It seems to me that they are not good enough for such an achievement unless the players of the "top European team" are coming after a very hard season in Euroleague and one of the top European leagues with only 6 days preparation time (and next to zero resting time) :)

And the jet lag. Don't forget the jet lag.

Anyway, I watched part of his game on NBC's mobile streaming app which is surprisingly decent. The video quality changes based on your connection speed, which is a good feature because it doesn't freeze that much. The lowest-quality setting is a mess of pixels reminiscent of an 80's video game, which provides some awesome closeups. Really wish I'd been able to get a capture of 80's video game Pocius throwing down the alley oop.

Mojado
08-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Greece should have won against Nigeria with any refs. But as Saras said, the pre-olympics were very risky for the European teams because they didn't have time to prepare. This is always in favor of the lesser teams. And Greece was the unlucky one.

Lithuania lost to Nigeria too in Venezuela, but Nigeria had no chance against a better prepared Lithuania.

Good for Nigeria, bad for the tournament. Greece would have been a formidable opponent for many team and the fans would enjoy Greece.

Well Nigeria is basically a team with players actually playing in the European and Asian leagues. Alade Aminu joined the team less than a week before the first game, same goes for Obasohan...and the rest of the guys traveled from Nigeria to China to the US within two weeks. Some got sick during the time due to the changes, but managed to play and beat Greece. But let me guess: That does not count in the eyes of some Greek posters here.

kalashnikov
08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Well Nigeria is basically a team with players actually playing in the European and Asian leagues. Alade Aminu joined the team less than a week before the first game, same goes for Obasohan...and the rest of the guys traveled from Nigeria to China to the US within two weeks. Some got sick during the time due to the changes, but managed to play and beat Greece. But let me guess: That does not count in the eyes of some Greek posters here.

so....you are saying that Nigeria is really a far better team than Greece and would beat Greece under any circumstances without second thought....

yeah....that sounds reasonable :confused:

Mojado
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
so....you are saying that Nigeria is really a far better team than Greece and would beat Greece under any circumstances without second thought....

yeah....that sounds reasonable :confused:

Stop shooting at me, I never wrote that. :mad: