PDA

View Full Version : Final: Nigeria vs Dominican Republic

Dtown
07-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Who would have thought this would be the final game? The last ticket to London is on the line, do or die for both teams, one will be going to their first Olympics ever.

Nigeria or the Dominicans who takes this?

macleopard13
07-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Either way, I don't really care. Dominican Republic looked bad today - slow and shooting poorly. I think Nigeria will win tomorrow if Dominican Republic shows up exhausted (like today).

Miškinis
07-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Either way, I don't really care. Dominican Republic looked bad today - slow and shooting poorly. I think Nigeria will win tomorrow if Dominican Republic shows up exhausted (like today).

I must have watched some other game, because DR looked really fast. I'd say the fastest team we played against in this tournament.

Rotela
07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I really hope that Nigeria qualify, but DR are similar to Venezuela, and Nigeria lost to Venezuela...

fasoulaki
07-08-2012, 10:29 AM
This will be more a wrestling 1-on-1 show than a basketball game. The team which will have the higher uncalled comitted fouls per second ratio will win.

Mindozas
07-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Unpredictable game. Wouldn't surprise anything here. However, will support Nigeria. They bought me during this tournament with their passionate bball. Hopefully qualifyin' to Olympics will be big step towards popularity of bball in the country. Maybe finally it'll bring more stability, funds and Nigeria will be able to bring best players for big tournaments on regular basis

sixama23
07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
I really hope that Nigeria qualify, but DR are similar to Venezuela, and Nigeria lost to Venezuela...

Well, I think that DR is better that Venezuela...

But right now Nigeria looks more confident that it was before the tournament. They have already achieved 2 great wins.
Nigeria has more depth, especially inside the paint. They can rotate players on Horford's guarding. Also they have a lot of players who loves attacking the rim and going for offensive rebounds. DR must keep Horford and Martinez out of foul troubles but this is gonna be very difficult.

My pick for this one is Nigeria :)

Hopefully qualifyin' to Olympics will be big step towards popularity of bball in the country. Maybe finally it'll bring more stability, funds and Nigeria will be able to bring best players for big tournaments on regular basis

If this happens, then probably Nigeria could be one of the top 10 teams in the world.

I am expecting a huge game, full of passion, cause both teams are looking for their first ever Olympic qualification.

Rotela
07-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Nigeria must stop Horford and Garcia, read the preview here (http://nigerian-basketball.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/preview-nigeria-vs-dominican-rep.html)....Nigeria need to get this win for the whole of Africa.

Dtown
07-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Dominican Republic have been wildly inconsistent, not just this tournament but at last years Americas championship as well. Some nights you think they can beat anyone, some nights you think they can lose to anyone. Sometimes I question their heart and focus. For that reason I think Nigeria will win. Over the tournament they've handled pressure better and shown better results against imo better competition.

Nigeria +5.

Terrorizer
07-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Really unpredictable one but I will be rooting for Nigeria. They are so sympathetic with their fighting spirit and determination. Though they lack very much in team-work and mostly rely on their leaders individual heroics (something I profoundly hate in my basketball) I still would like to see them in London. They deserved it by beating Lietuva and Greece and then showing some guts and the will to fight against Russia.

auris1
07-08-2012, 05:32 PM
What time is the game?
let's say now is 18-30 uk time

Mindozas
07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
What time is the game?
let's say now is 18-30 uk time

1.00 then

auris1
07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
1.00 then
Thanks
Too late

Olympiacos
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Neither team deserves to be in the Olympics because they are both here because of the refs helping them. I just hope that whichever team qualifies - that they go 0-5 at the Olympics and that karma prevails. Then perhaps FIBA will stop doing such charades in the future, but I doubt it.

GustavoGanso
07-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Neither team deserves to be in the Olympics because they are both here because of the refs helping them. I just hope that whichever team qualifies - that they go 0-5 at the Olympics and that karma prevails. Then perhaps FIBA will stop doing such charades in the future, but I doubt it.

Splitter.

Olympiacos
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Splitter.

What about Splitter?

Hepcat
07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Nigeria has to be the favourite in this one, but I'm going to be cheering for the Dominican Republic.

:cool:

Marcus7
07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I hope Nigeria qualifies.. they deserve it for the effort they put so far. Plus i really want to see how far they can go in the Olympics.

auris1
07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
My feelings go with Dominica.I do not care one bit about Nigeria .

Raze Lupin
07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Nigeria has to be the favourite in this one, but I'm going to be cheering for the Dominican Republic.

:cool:

My feelings go with Dominica.I do not care one bit about Nigeria .

I hope Nigeria qualifies.. they deserve it for the effort they put so far. Plus i really want to see how far they can go in the Olympics.

---

@Auris & Hepcat: I agree guys. I'm going for D.R. I'd like to see University of Kentucky coach John Calapari in the Olympics. I'm less sympathetic toward FIBA Africa and FIBA Asia teams. I prefer FIBA Americas the FIBA Europe. Random question for the Liths. I've been watching Rytas tv all day how does Mikis taste. I saw a Lietuva commercial for it. Is it milk?

@Marcus7: Nice Zombie. I would think Nigeria is favored.

---

Southpaw
07-08-2012, 09:06 PM

The refs did a good job in making sure the BETTER team wins and Diogu was the beast. He looks that way anyway against those stiffs from Greece. My props.

auris1
07-08-2012, 09:08 PM
@Auris & Hepcat: I agree guys. I'm going for D.R. I'd like to see University of Kentucky coach John Calapari in the Olympics. I'm less sympathetic toward FIBA Africa and FIBA Asia teams. I prefer FIBA Americas the FIBA Europe. Random question for the Liths. I've been watching Rytas tv all day how does Mikis taste. I saw a Lietuva commercial for it. Is it milk?

You wanna know how mikis taste?
You are getting exposed here mate
And why on earth would you be watching lrytas tv?
Yesterday,thank god,I managed to switcht to Russian tv .
Not a single bleep or lag
Commentary was so much better too.

Mojado
07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Oguchi re-injured his shoulder and wont play.
---

usagre
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
dominicans will win by double digits. if you told calipari a year ago that his only obstacle to get to the olympics would be nigeria he wouldn't have believed it.
no way he lets his team lose.

Raze Lupin
07-08-2012, 10:13 PM
You wanna know how mikis taste?
You are getting exposed here mate
And why on earth would you be watching lrytas tv?
Yesterday,thank god,I managed to switcht to Russian tv .
Not a single bleep or lag
Commentary was so much better too.

Yeah I was watching the U17 games in Kaunas so I caught some Lith commercials. After the games they would have regular programming so I watched it too. I don't speak Russian so the commentary wouldn't help me. Although it would be better than the Lietuva channel because in all my travels I haven't heard anything like what they speak. Because of my job Ive worked with Russians, Turks and Slavs extensively. so I've picked up a few words. Lietuva language seems pretty unique from what I can tell. I'm guessing this, mind you.

Mindozas
07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I've been watching Rytas tv all day how does Mikis taste. I saw a Lietuva commercial for it. Is it milk?

Mikis? :) Didn't hear about it. Maybe you mean "IKI", in commercial fans waving it's flag (white with with green letters). It's a company (supermarkets)

GustavoGanso
07-08-2012, 11:47 PM
What about Splitter?

Tell me what you think about Splitter.

JGX
07-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Horford is gonna start having to hit some shots eventually...he's been brutal in both knockout games.

I just hope they don't call it too tight tonight, nether team is that deep and I'd hate to see it decided by which guys have to sit due to foul trouble.

shaolin95
07-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Anyone got a link for this game?

Dtown
07-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Anyone got a link for this game?

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/38/v-423976.html

47-39 Nigeria at half time. DR look out of sorts, Nigeria definitely looks like the better team at the moment.

JGX
07-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Those six points by Nigeria at the end of the half have to be demoralizing. DR just hasn't been good enough defensively.

sixama23
07-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Those six points by Nigeria at the end of the half have to be demoralizing. DR just hasn't been good enough defensively.
I think all this points came when DR changed their defense from 2-3 zone to man to man.

Calipari should try more zone defense at the second half or else they will lose easily.

JGX
07-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Wow what an awful foul by Archibong...and equally awful free throw shooting from the DR.

Dtown
07-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Got to hit your free throws, learn your lessons from Greece.

59-57 Nigeria

10 minutes from London (unless overtime.)

guilherme.rcf
07-09-2012, 01:25 AM
What an amazing game so far.

Street basketball.

Buzissa
07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Got to love Nigeria. So exciting to watch them.

Dtown
07-09-2012, 01:34 AM
DR seems to have all the momentum at the moment.

Edit: Diagou (sp?) is picking the right time to step up!

Buzissa
07-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Diogu is destroying DR

Dtown
07-09-2012, 01:45 AM
That should be game! Nigeria with dagger dunks!

Buzissa
07-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Congratulations to Nigeria for this great tournament

JGX
07-09-2012, 01:52 AM
I'd say it's a shame that the Americas team didn't qualify but Nigeria is equally an American team anyway ;) Normal story where the team fights all game to come back and then as soon as they tie it they fall apart. Nigeria can give some teams trouble in the Olympics, I wonder if they will bring in a few more reinforcements.

DR becoming almost as bad as PR in losing big games. Losses the last two days with a chance to go to the Olympics, loss to Brazil last year with the Olympics on the line, loss to Canada in 2009 with the WC spot on the line, also 2005 FIBA-Americas collapse. Players looked to be taking the loss really hard, Martinez said something pointed to the referee, not classy there.

Dtown
07-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Nigeria taking the celebration into the stands! Friggin Awesome, love to see that emotion.

Feel bad for DR (well not Hortford got to be more classy than that). So close twice. But Nigeria was the better team and they're going to London!

CKR13
07-09-2012, 01:56 AM
D'Tigers, loud and proud.

JGX
07-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Still can't believe the DR is playing the US on Thursday. Wonder how many players will show up. Can't imagine anyone will be in the mood.

thegreekmeister
07-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Nigeria is equally an American team anyway ;) .

Whats wrong with nigerian basketball? 9 players were born in USa, so they have only 3 players of their own, how is that even possible?

Victorious
07-09-2012, 02:00 AM
What Nigeria lacked in fundementals and tactics, they compensatated with their poise, heart and toughness. They fought for every loose ball, every rebound against every opponent. They were the underdog against most teams so this always helps the shooting percentage.

Teams with those characteristics which have nothing to loose are the perfect recipe for a surprise.

Congrats to Nigeria!

sixama23
07-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Whats wrong with nigerian basketball? 9 players were born in USa, so they have only 3 players of their own, how is that even possible?

All these 9 players are children of Nigerian immigrants. They are all of Nigerian descent.

Congratulations to Nigeria! If they have 1-2 good additions for London, I can see many troubles for European and American teams.

christodoulou76
07-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Congratulations to Nigeria! An amazing team that I will be rooting for in London!

GL3
07-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Hats off to Nigeria and the beautiful, much deserved and rightfully earned tale they are living.

Greece's suicide was at least worth something.

GustavoGanso
07-09-2012, 02:15 AM
with google translator:

Calipari was the innocent and let Villanueva out of this team ... pivots reserves the Dominican are really bad, it took four, five players even stepped on the court in the games ... there was something more behind the scenes that prevented the player from playing the Pre-Olympic, something PERSONAL technical about it, since it is a player to put up with difficult personality .... plus the absence of Luis Flores (nice guard), he had to play with this Conorado king of turnovers / wrong passes, gave no other ... this guy is really guard? to me looks like a SG.

Nigeria already has made a sensational Pre ... the good, they put the run to Venezuela, beating Lithuania, after Greece, swelled to Russia in the semis, I was not even rooting for them ... but I have to take your hat off, the guys deserved it. IMO.

MSU_Spartan
07-09-2012, 02:17 AM
:( ...We had the chance to win the games and the guys didn't step up. Great game by Nigeria though. Hope they continue winning in the Olympics!

I do wonder whether Karl Towns, the 16 year old #1 ranked high school (Class of 2015) prospect stays playing with DR in the future. Many comparisons to Dirk Nowitski have been made at a such a young age, but he does have a father from the US. Karl could be a major factor in the coming years for the DR team if he lives up to the hype.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/michigan-state-spartans-offer-dirk-nowitzki-karl-towns-033100176.html

Rotela
07-09-2012, 03:35 AM
So proud of the lads....well done, full match report (http://nigerian-basketball.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/kings-have-arrived.html)

Nikoo
07-09-2012, 05:35 AM
D'Tigers are D'Best.
Amazing team, compensating lack of preparation with good old school hustle.

Mojado
07-09-2012, 06:32 AM
So happy for Nigeria:D Finally, they got a team and some training together without a U.S. coach that knows sh#t about FIBA hoops. Please Ayo, dont add Uzoh,Ezeli and Alabi. No rewards for refusing to play.

Terrorizer
07-09-2012, 06:35 AM
I'd say it's a shame that the Americas team didn't qualify but Nigeria is equally an American team anyway ;)
Well, ok, many Nigerian NT players were born in the US but still they have direct connection to Nigeria because of their roots. But you failed to notice that among Nigerian guys there are many with solid experience in Europe something which can't be said about current Dominican team. Nigerian key players Tony Skinn, Derrick Obasohan, Alade Aminu, Adeola Dagunduro are all playing in Europe with the first two being highly valuable veterans of continental basketball. And among Dominican regular contributors there was only one 'European' - Eulis Baez who was very good in this crucial game by the way.
So Nigerians have more class, experience and readiness for the international ball. It is proved by the fact that Nigerians were much better in tactics and teamwork
which is outlined by their two-times prevalence in assists. There was a moment when Nigerian team started to choke while its offense seemed clearly in a stagnated and 'don't know what to do'-mode and some worries about their ability to keep their opponents on the distance arose. Actually the game once again became very close. But luckily with some clutch plays by Ike Diogu Nigeria happily booked the ticket to London even with a relative comfort in the very end of the game. And I mst say that Diogu played his best basketball on this Tournament (and maybe in all his life): I still stand by my criticism of his playing style and even of his individual talent but he proved to skeptics like me that he can be very dominant on offense against some not-so-weak opponents like Dominican frontcourt.
Overall, I'm very happy with the Nigerian win. To win the ticket to Olympics in such a tough competition is a major breakthrough for African basketball. It seems that Nigerians were the most sympathetic team of the Tourney in the eyes of neutral viewer. And for a good cause: not only people love 'Cinderella stories' when Nigerian David strikes down Lithuanian and Greek Goliaphs but also Nigerians became everyone's sweetheart team for their will, determination, energy, emotion, gutsy and bold play. And also for their crazy celebrations of the wins :) Good luck in London, Nigeria!
Also I'm happy for the African team to win with their own coach who isn't famous or something but instead really cares about his country and his team. It's great to see Callipari understanding that having more NBAers doesn't guarantee a success in an international competition. Ayo Bakari over John Callipari - that's something I like :)

Nikoo
07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
@Terrorizer, what do you think about Olumide Oyedeji during the tournament? For me, despite the fact that he played limited minutes his presence on and off the court was essential for the Nigeria's success.

Mojado
07-09-2012, 07:56 AM
@Terrorizer, what do you think about Olumide Oyedeji during the tournament? For me, despite the fact that he played limited minutes his presence on and off the court was essential for the Nigeria's success.

He is the vocal leader of the pack and helped organizing the prep phase.

Terrorizer
07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I've expected slightly more from here especially having in mind that he is one of the more experienced guys in this Nigerian team. I think that it's hard to pass a definite judgement on Oyedeji (on Archibong and Ibekwe as well) because of the very limited playing time. Still I suspect that Olumide's trips to the court were influential in raisung up the level of toughness on defense and helping to fight on the boards. Sadly he didn't prove himself to be really capable and useful on offense. But, as many mentioned, he was one of the team 'spiritual leaders' and his moral support was crucial in getting the right mood for all the team.

chacharko
07-09-2012, 08:17 AM
So happy for Nigeria:D Finally, they got a team and some training together without a U.S. coach that knows sh#t about FIBA hoops. Please Ayo, dont add Uzoh,Ezeli and Alabi. No rewards for refusing to play.

They don't need Alabi, Ezeli ... But anyway, Uzoh and Udoh (and perhaps Diogu) would be nice addition... especially point guard would need some improvement... But on the other side changes would be unfair to this group players.... Congratulations to Nigeria, I hope they surprise their opponents also in London.

jiggawhat
07-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Festus Ezeli is very good, dumb not to add him

Mojado
07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Festus Ezeli is very good, dumb not to add him

Very good in terms of...?
A NBA rookie who looks very raw offensively wont help right away.

thegreekmeister
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
All these 9 players are children of Nigerian immigrants. They are all of Nigerian descent.

thanks, mr obvious, I know that they are migrants. My question is how come they managed to get only 3 non migrant players, every other country has migrants, lithuania, greece and other has MANY migrants in other countries, yet they manage to get majority of their players born in their countries.
I am not judging here, I am genuinely curious how is that possible. I mean usually teams have 0, 1 or 2 foreign born players of their descent. And Nigeria has at least 9 foreign born players. This is beyond comprehension when compared to other national teams. maybe conclusion - they do not have any basketball in Nigeria?

Take even another strong african team in comparison:
Angola: 12 born in Angola, 0 board abroad.
Nigeria: 3 born in Nigeria, 9 boarn abroad.

Very very very strange thing.

Mojado
07-10-2012, 07:44 AM
thanks, mr obvious, I know that they are migrants. My question is how come they managed to get only 3 non migrant players, every other country has migrants, lithuania, greece and other has MANY migrants in other countries, yet they manage to get majority of their players born in their countries.
I am not judging here, I am genuinely curious how is that possible. I mean usually teams have 0, 1 or 2 foreign born players of their descent. And Nigeria has at least 9 foreign born players. This is beyond comprehension when compared to other national teams. maybe conclusion - they do not have any basketball in Nigeria?

Take even another strong african team in comparison:
Angola: 12 born in Angola, 0 board abroad.
Nigeria: 3 born in Nigeria, 9 boarn abroad.

Very very very strange thing.

Its not strange. Fact is, basketball development in Nigeria is still in baby shoes but steadily growing. Those Nigerian-Americans grew up within the U.S. basketball system and developed better than many players that actually grew up in Nigeria.
Another problem is pretty obvious: Nigeria-based players dont get visa...four Nigeria-based players were supposed to be part of the training-camp roster for Venezuela. But they had stops in the U.S. and Brazil. Bet they werent allowed to enter.

Rotela
07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Dude regardless of if they were born in America or not, they are NIGERIANS, they were raised the Nigerian way, all Nigerians can testify to this, I was born and raised in London, but I am Nigerian to the bone. You can never understand this....

Ps Hakeem Olajuwon who was born and raised in Nigeria represent TEAM USA !!!!