PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinals: Greece vs Nigeria

MZT Skopje
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Greece 1.05
Nigeria 8.00

Unexpected clash. Venezuela out. Not the Greeks would had problems with Venezuela even in front of 14.000 fans.

Tasos Peiraias
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
This match will be a good training because in the SF we will face Russia,
but I dont want to underestimate Nigerians.:(

Pero Antic
07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Greece 1.05
Nigeria 8.00

Unexpected clash. Venezuela out. Not the Greeks would had problems with Venezuela even in front of 14.000 fans.

Wow you can get rich if you bet on Nigeria and they win somehow:rolleyes:

Its a very high konf. i am wondering after they beat Lithuania...

fasoulaki
07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
This is a game were we would definitely need Big Sofo's inside game for 10-15 minutes to foul out some Nigerian players. Nigeria is a very athletic team which has also very good shooting skills. Greece had a hard time against them in the preparation and also the Lithuanian loss is a big exclamation mark. So Greece is warned and does not understimate them!

christodoulou76
07-05-2012, 02:44 PM
This is a game were we would definitely need Big Sofo's inside game for 10-15 minutes to foul out some Nigerian players. Nigeria is very athletic team which has also very good shooting skills. Greece had a hard time against them in the preparation and also the Lithuanian loss is a big exclamation mark. So Greece is warned and does understimate them!

NOT underestimate them, you mean

Victorious
07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Greece almost lost to Nigeria in a friendly game in Brazil where Nigeria was ahead until the final quarter. On top of that, Nigeria has managed to beat Lithuania. So if Greece takes the game lightly, they will be in big trouble. The Greek defence will be crucial to win the game.

Hepcat
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Well the Greek team has had ample warning not to take the Nigerian team too lightly. Greece should therefore emerge the winner.

plato-ny
07-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Greece almost lost to Nigeria in a friendly game in Brazil where Nigeria was ahead until the final quarter. On top of that, Nigeria has managed to beat Lithuania. So if Greece takes the game lightly, they will be in big trouble. The Greek defence will s crucial to win the game.
Friendlies are absolutely meaningless and Litnuania did not play as hard as they wouldve because they had to avoid losing by more than 11 pts to Nigeria to avoid losing first place in their group.

Nigeria beat last-place Venezuela by 2 pts in that group!

christodoulou76
07-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Nigeria is an excellent team but I think Greece will win by 10-15 points. It will be close in the first half but then Greece will pull away in the second half. The key stat for Nigeria will be offensive rebounds and shots differential (i.e. how many more shots than Greece they take). If these numbers are above 10, Nigeria has a shot to win, I think.

Rotela
07-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Nigeria will need to stop Spanoulis, read the full report here http://nigerian-basketball.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/qf-preview-nigeria-clash-with-greece.html

Nigeria just need to believe in themselves and all will be well.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 08:22 AM
The Greeks major threat comes from their penetrating passing and their outside shooting. All this is orchestrated by their point guard Vassilis Spanoulus , he scored 27 points in the last game against Dominica Rep, and he was the player that exploited Nigeria’s defence when they last met, In that game, he consistently knocked down the three pointer and found the open man. He finished with 20 points in that game as Greece overturned a third quarter deficit to win the game. Spanoulis brings NBA and solid Euro-league experience to the team.

So this is the result of your scouting effort?! You just have to stop Spanoulis and you get the victory? I am sincerely hopeing that the official Negerian scount will report the same to his team.

Mojado
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
So this is the result of your scouting effort?! You just have to stop Spanoulis and you get the victory? I am sincerely hopeing that the official Negerian scount will report the same to his team.

Well from the games that Ive seen, everything stands and falls with Spanoulis. Really a difference maker, even some Greek fans said it here that about the preparation games to this tournament. Neverthenless, there are more factors besides Spanoulis thats true. Since you live in Düsseldorf, will the Greek fans prematurly run onto the court today? :D

sixama23
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Well from the games that Ive seen, everything stands and falls with Spanoulis. Really a difference maker, even some Greek fans said it here that about the preparation games to this tournament. Neverthenless, there are more factors besides Spanoulis thats true.

Focusing on Spanoulis doesn't seem like a good idea, since Greece is shooting 24/48 (50%) behind the arc so far...
By double teaming Span you might reduce his scoring production but you will allow many open shots to the rest of our players.
Don't forget that we are the best 3pt shooting team on the tournament.

Nigeria has some versatile defenders with great length who can produce some good man to man defence on Span.

Nigeria must keep Skinn away from foul troubles. Greece is gonna put a lot of pressure on this guy, since we know that he is the only true PG of Nigerian roster.

Greece's biggest problem so far is defence, especially inside the paint.

I think we will win but we should be focused and improve our defence...

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Well from the games that Ive seen, everything stands and falls with Spanoulis. Really a difference maker, even some Greek fans said it here that about the preparation games to this tournament. Neverthenless, there are more factors besides Spanoulis thats true. Since you live in Düsseldorf, will the reek fans prematurly run onto the court today? :D

Actually I was born and raised in the neighbouring city Cologne and I have absolutly no sympathy for the Düsseldorf snob-fans who once in their life got the opportunity to run on the court and burn some bengalos ;)

For sure Spanoulis raised the level of the team but it would be a fatal mistake if the Nigerian defensive system would be focused on Spanoulis only.
I am curious to see what kind of strategy Zouros prepared for the game today and if some crucial players have been benchend in the Puerto game for tactical reasons.

interxavierxxx
07-06-2012, 11:06 AM
After seeing both teams play in the past few days, I would say Greece has the definite upper hand. Nigeria can score a win if they can limit Greece's outside shooting, which was very good in their last two games.

Is it me or does Greece always have an assured victory if they hit their 3 pointers with a good percentage?

Psofimis
07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm expecting a very serious greek team and an easy +20 in the first half.After that we ll easily keep the difference with a good rotation until Nigeria get exausted or in foul trouble.Nigeria is a good team but they have lost the advandage of surprise.Also there is not the unknown factor as the Greek team already know their players by their friendly match 1 week ago.I remember that the nigerians were very passionate and focused as they were against Lithuania while the greek team looked bored until the last 2-3 mins of the game.Nigeria will get surprised once they understand that they play against a completely different team.I think its a mistake to focus on Spanoulis because he will either get your guards in foul trouble or will exploit your defense with his assists on open teamates.In his good day he could destroy you ofcourse but he isn't the only one.Fotsis and Bourousis could do the same if you let them.The greek team though does not need a good day from one of those guys to win a game like that.Our teamwork,passing and when we want lock-down defense along with our deep roster usually are enough to beat any opponent and unluckly for the nigerians they cant do much to eliminate those factors.

Mojado
07-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Friendlies are absolutely meaningless and Litnuania did not play as hard as they wouldve because they had to avoid losing by more than 11 pts to Nigeria to avoid losing first place in their group.

Nigeria beat last-place Venezuela by 2 pts in that group!

Nope. They lost by two. But they have beaten Lithuania not Luxembourg or Papau-New Guinee.:D

Mojado
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Actually I was born and raised in the neighbouring city Cologne and I have absolutly no sympathy for the Düsseldorf snob-fans who once in their life got the opportunity to run on the court and burn some bengalos ;)

For sure Spanoulis raised the level of the team but it would be a fatal mistake if the Nigerian defensive system would be focused on Spanoulis only.
I am curious to see what kind of strategy Zouros prepared for the game today and if some crucial players have been benchend in the Puerto game for tactical reasons.

Burning bengalos is usually a tradition for the Geißböcke, especially if they are being relegated...which happens often these days :D Forza Fortuna Köln (Just kidding...)

There is no defensive system or tactics in Nigerian D. Its purely relying on the athletic abilities of each player. They will be a tough nut to crack though since even Puerto Rico isnt known to defend well. Neverthenless, I still believe Greece is going to the semis due to bad decisions in the third Q. Skinn cant be always playing that well and he said, he is feeling sore, so the only PG of Nigeria might be the x-factor later tonight.

Mojado
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm expecting a very serious greek team and an easy +20 in the first half.After that we ll easily keep the difference with a good rotation until Nigeria get exausted or in foul trouble.Nigeria is a good team but they have lost the advandage of surprise.Also there is not the unknown factor as the Greek team already know their players by their friendly match 1 week ago.I remember that the nigerians were very passionate and focused as they were against Lithuania while the greek team looked bored until the last 2-3 mins of the game.Nigeria will get surprised once they understand that they play against a completely different team.I think its a mistake to focus on Spanoulis because he will either get your guards in foul trouble or will exploit your defense with his assists on open teamates.In his good day he could destroy you ofcourse but he isn't the only one.Fotsis and Bourousis could do the same if you let them.The greek team though does not need a good day from one of those guys to win a game like that.Our teamwork,passing and when we want lock-down defense along with our deep roster usually are enough to beat any opponent and unluckly for the nigerians they cant do much to eliminate those factors.

+20 in the first half?
If I am reading your summary on the Greek team, and if I would not know that Greece failed in the last Eurobasket, I would think: Wow, that's a team going for Gold in London this year. Reality is different though...every team is in Venezuela for a good reason ;)There are weaknesses in the team, lets see when and if they will be exposed in the next days.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 02:19 PM
+20 in the first half?

Judging from what I have seen in the friendly a double digit lead <20 could be possible but Nigerians would be able to reduce thise lead very fast since greek defense is not able to stop the athletic Nigerian players.

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
what really irritates me is that Greek media don't give a damn about this tournament. Football is way the most popular game! Only when we are medal candidates they show little attention.

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Nigeria will need to stop Spanoulis, read the full report here http://nigerian-basketball.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/qf-preview-nigeria-clash-with-greece.html

Nigeria just need to believe in themselves and all will be well.

Might not be that hard. We don't know how bad his ankle injury is.

Dtown
07-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Early but Nigeria's hanging tough 21-21 end of the first quarter.

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Nigeria has a great defence

christodoulou76
07-06-2012, 06:24 PM
21-21 after Q1. Tough game so far. I am having technical difficulties and can't watch the game. What is happening? The teams are pretty even statistically so far. Spanoulis' 5 missed FTs have hurt us but we seem to be passing the ball better than Nigeria.

BananaJo
07-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Are there any replays in the game? I mean WTF?
We are losing way too many rebs

christodoulou76
07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Nigeria has 0 assists but is only down by 4, with 3 mins to play in the 2Q.

christodoulou76
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Nigeria is staying in the game due to their offensive rebounds. Greece is led by Bourousis and Spanoulis. They are not shooting their FTs well (10/18). Nigeria has 0 assists and 14 fouls in the first half. Greece kept Nigeria to only 9 pts in the 2Q.

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 06:48 PM
With the current Spanoulis, Greece finally has the new Galis, after 25 years........

MJ was an alien
Spanoulis is first rebounder!!!

Dtown
Greece took control at the end of the quarter upping the lead to 12. Could be much bigger if they actually hit their free throws though.

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Dont even say that again man!!!!!

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 06:49 PM
With the current Spanoulis, Greece finally has the new Galis, after 25 years........

dont say that again man!!!

Psofimis
07-06-2012, 06:52 PM
The game is much easier then it looks.I predicted +20 in the first half and if we missed a few less FTs I would be right.Nigeria would have foul troubles if they continue like this and thats what Greeks wanted from the beginning with their penetrations.Nerves and fatique from the nigerians will end the game soon.We need a better job with the defensive rebounds also..

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Dont even say that again man!!!!!

dont say that again man!!!

No one can guard him. All year in Euroleague and Greek League and now in this tournament. He is just unstoppable and no one can do anything to stop him. The next thing will be even with the traps and double teams, he will pick apart the defenses with his passing, like he did all year in Olympiacos. We already started to see Nigera start to trap and he was throwing laser assists to the basket.

Actually, how he is playing right now, is like Galis, but with a much better outside jump shot. Spanoulis is killing everyone from the perimeter. Galis was never much of a long distance jump shooter really.

Be serious...we have never seen any Greek player at this level since Galis back in the late 80s.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
The game is much easier then it looks.I predicted +20 in the first half and if we missed a few less FTs I would be right.Nigeria would have foul troubles if they continue like this and thats what Greeks wanted from the beginning with their penetrations.Nerves and fatique from the nigerians will end the game soon.We need a better job with the defensive rebounds also..

Dont count them out so fast. Nigeria can reduce a 12pt lead in less than a minute!

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Good training....:)

adamosmaki
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Spanoulis with 6 rebounds our first rebounder
That says alot about the trouble in defensive rebounds
We also need to start hitting that free throws as the game would have been a +20 if we didnt missed them
Other than that Bourousis is great on offence while Spanoulis does everything on offense and defense
Also for once Bramos is positive
Papanikolaou and Printezis havent got into the game yet ( if they get into it then its game over for Nigeria )

Psofimis
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Dont count them out so fast. Nigeria can reduce a 12pt lead in less than a minute!

They try to play with nba style and they dont have the talent.0 assists...
You cant beat the greek defense like that.They are still alive from their off rebounds and our 8 missed FTs.
Thats my opinion ofc. :P

madmax
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
just like expected, Greece are too solid for these raw nigerian athletes and are breaking their spirit with disciplined play...Russia and Greece seem to be a cut above any other team in this tournament, with Macedonia not being very far behind too.

Hepcat
07-06-2012, 07:05 PM
what really irritates me is that Greek media don't give a damn about this tournament. Football is way the most popular game! Only when we are medal candidates they show little attention.

Yes, that would be irritating.

:mad:

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 07:11 PM
No one can guard him. All year in Euroleague and Greek League and now in this tournament. He is just unstoppable and no one can do anything to stop him. The next thing will be even with the traps and double teams, he will pick apart the defenses with his passing, like he did all year in Olympiacos. We already started to see Nigera start to trap and he was throwing laser assists to the basket.

Actually, how he is playing right now, is like Galis, but with a much better outside jump shot. Spanoulis is killing everyone from the perimeter. Galis was never much of a long distance jump shooter really.

Be serious...we have never seen any Greek player at this level since Galis back in the late 80s.

Anyway... i wont try to change your mind. You're either too young or too Olympiacos

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Yes, that would be irritating.

:mad:
Should actually :p

Khalid80
07-06-2012, 07:19 PM
This Nigerian team is really tough... It's not easy cutting into the lead to make it only a 3 point game like that. By the way ET3 is showing the game on tv in case the guys in Greece didn't know it.

Dtown
07-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Got to give respect to Nigeria they just won't die. If they could buy a three pointer they might just shock us tonight.

auris1
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Got to give respect to Nigeria they just won't die. If they could buy a three pointer they might just shock us tonight.
true
If only they could improve percentage
Lithuanian loosing doesn't seem so bad now,does it?

guilherme.rcf
07-06-2012, 07:26 PM
This nigerian team deserves a better coach. Maybe an american one.

auris1
07-06-2012, 07:28 PM
I still think Nigeria has no skill to finish off the game - but hey,game on
what a game - go go Nigerians

Dtown
07-06-2012, 07:31 PM
If you're not watching this game, you are missing the game of the tournament!

Hepcat
07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey! Now this is a game. All tied up with less than five minutes to go!

:cool:

Hepcat
07-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Today the Nigerians can't shoot worth a damn but they're staying in the game by outrebounding and outhustling the Greeks.

:)

babdelkader
07-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Can we say that Nigeria is the next world power after USA !!

KWSN-Men
07-06-2012, 07:43 PM

VS vs MJ.

Psofimis
07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I wasnt mentally prepared for this.... :)
My heart will fail...

NorCal
07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Dagunduro with the hope of two nations in his hands............

mochoso
I might suffer a stroke now. WHAT A GAME!!

softice
Usually ..close game = Greece win, let's see

christodoulou76
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Congratulations to Nigeria for a great win. Good luck tomorrow against Russia! And good luck to Greece at next year's Eurobasket!

NorCal
07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Wow. that was a heck of a game. Both teams made big plays down the stretch. Congrats to Nigeria.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
bye bye zouros

Adon
it's a scandal :mad:

SaliH
Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the F*ck!!!!!!!!!

NAIJA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A!!!!!!

Dtown
Awesome game Nigeria may have just won the biggest game in Africa history.

Thanks to both teams, that was easily the best game of the tournament.

mochoso
YESSSSSSSSS Greece is outt! thank you Nigeria to avenge PR loss! Bye Bye Greece.

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Fuck*ng referes!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Where do you see the foul in the Nigerian player?Hey?
And clean foul to Spanoulis idiot....Learn basketball,idiot ref!!!!:mad:

babdelkader
07-06-2012, 07:53 PM
bye bye zouros

I still believe Elias Zouros is one of the best coaches in the world.

Olympiacos
I swear..we are the most cursed team ever by the refs. How the hell are they going to let the offensive foul and instead give 2 free throws on one end, and then Spanoulis gets hammered on the other end and they don't even call a foul........

EVERY DAMN year we have to deal with being eliminated by the refs. Every damn year.

Tasos Peiraias
HAHAHA!!98-84 my little friend
and learn basketball.Foul to Spanoulis in the last shoot...
F*ck refs....

GustavoGanso
wow

was a big foul in that 3 point by Spanoulis...

ahahhahahahah

Nigeria all day baby

they beat Lithuania and Greece in the same tournament

Hepcat
Unbelievable! What a finish!

From another standpoint though, I'll miss seeing the Greek team in the Olympics. The Greeks are one of the small handful of teams that have demonstrated that there are days when they can beat the U.S. team.

:(

Pero Antic
07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
YESSSSSSSSS Greece is outt! thank you Nigeria to avenge PR loss! Bye Bye Greece.

THANK YOU NIGERIA!!! you deserved it and god bless Skimm this guy is unbelievable

uRAgan
Epic game ! Epic !
Nigeria team big heart ! :d

babdelkader
it's a scandal :mad:

Nigeria just played a super basketball.

MJ was an alien
Congratulations to Nigeria! they play for the entire Africa. The refs were a bit helpful

Miškinis
I feel so sorry for Greece :( Man, today I watched the game and the emotions were as if I'd be watching Lithuania playing agains someone. We won't see Greece in the Olympics games. That's a shame! Damn, Greece was the 2nd team after Lithuania for me.

Psofimis
We deserved to lose because of the [email protected] refs...
That was a big lesson.
KWNS-men is from albania obviously...

mochoso
I said it before and Im telling this now, Greece is just a team that relies on 3s. Only Sparanoulis was making them but nobody else stepped up. Greece is a very overrated team man im glad they got KO in the tourney!

BananaJo
07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Clear foul on Span's last shot...
Anyway, Nigeria played solid and we lost the game, Zouros proved himself once again...

Khalid80
Wow! Really shocking...
What a gutsy performance by Nigeria! Congrats! Tough luck for Greece :( ... That was a foul at the end on Spanoulis but if Greece deserved to win the game it shouldn't have been that close in the first place.
The President of Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF), Alh Tijani Umar has promised that the National Men’s Basketball team will qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games and so far things might head that way.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164480:2012-london-olympics-nbbf-promises-qualification&catid=5:sports&Itemid=5

guilherme.rcf
That was a faul.

How come a player make such a risky play like that in the last second of the game.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
even with the helps of the refs we could not win!

Dtown
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
If Greece had hit their free throws it wouldn't have needed to come down to a last second call by the refs. Never put yourself in a position where it comes down to that.

Hepcat
07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Awesome game Nigeria may have just won the biggest game in Africa history.

Thanks to both teams, that was easily the best game of the tournament.

No question on either count. Nigeria just made African basketball history. And it was no fluke either. They proved that they're a very good team.

:)

Lietuvis
wow just wow cant believe what I just saw. Yeh I think that that was a foul at the end there!?:eek:

Pero Antic
I said it before and Im telling this now, Greece is just a team that relies on 3s. Only Sparanoulis was making them but nobody else stepped up. Greece is a very overrated team man im glad they got KO in the tourney!

they are not overrated i think Nigeria is underrated but who cares they won YEAAAAAAAA

Rotela
I'm Nigerian, and I just want to say well done to Greece, the difference was that Greece relied on Spanoulis too much but Nigeria had different players they can go to, I guess Nigeria is now a major force in the Basketball world !!!!!!

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Unbelievable! What a finish!

From another standpoint though, I'll miss seeing the Greek team in the Olympics. The Greeks are one of the small handful of teams that have demonstrated that there are days when they can beat the U.S. team.

:(

Greece was robbed. I am sorry, but I cannot give credit to Nigeria when the refs robbed us like that. Every time we play Spain and now this - the refs hate Greece.

But this was the biggest robbery ever in our history.

babdelkader
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Wow! Really shocking...
What a gutsy performance by Nigeria! Congrats! Tough luck for Greece :( ... That was a foul at the end on Spanoulis but if Greece deserved to win the game it shouldn't have been that close in the first place.
The President of Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF), Alh Tijani Umar has promised that the National Men’s Basketball team will qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games and so far things might head that way.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164480:2012-london-olympics-nbbf-promises-qualification&catid=5:sports&Itemid=5

after three slow motions, camera told it's a clean touch

madmax
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
LOL...greeks got properly jabbed by the refs in the end there DDDD. There's no way that block on V-Span was clean,but I guess due to the last shot rule, refs just let the "boys decide the game by themselves", if no blood was spilled. Huge win and milestone in african basketball history - this might just propell this nigerian squad into even bigger heights

fasoulaki
We would definetly had need 10 minutes Big Sofo in this game

JGX
...and a team of decent American players with a few weeks practice is still good enough to beat a top European team in a big game. I was worried for a few years back in the 2000s.

Thank god for streaming video on the smartphone.

Adon
07-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Nigeria just played a super basketball.

They did but at the end, they didnt deserve to win. It was an unbelievable present from the refs.
...and I don't complain about refereeing almost never...

tiro1
07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Even this way we should have nailed that. :confused:

I think that the team wasn't prepared to deal with a big game by Nigeria.

The hard truth is that we will miss seeing our team in the olympics. Another one is that the tournament will be poorer without us.

Anyways bye bye Olympic games, bye bye interbasket forums. :eek:

usagre
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
what a pathetic choke job. it couldn't have happened to a better group of fans.

sixama23
Congrats to Nigeria! They deserved it! Out team wasn't well prepared for them despite the fact that we played a strong friendly against them in Brazil.

That's an epic fail for Greece...
Zouros proved that he is a mediocre coach who is making coach career based on his public relationships. Like most of the Greek coaches.

Greece was always playing good defence but this year we weren't playing defence at all. Our offence was much based on Spanoulis creation and nothing more.

That's a good time for most of the Greek fans and journalists to stop believing that Greece is the basketball centre of the world and there are others nations which can play good basketball too...

Anyway, congrats to Nigerian NT. Good luck to them against Russia...

auris1
Greece was robbed. I am sorry, but I cannot give credit to Nigeria when the refs robbed us like that. Every time we play Spain and now this - the refs hate Greece.

I agree.Not the biggest robbery,but still
It was a foul on Spanoulis
So I would suggest to stop proclaiming it as a biggest victory
No way it was fair.

GustavoGanso
later is Lithuanian and Macedonian time to back home... hahahahaha

maybe?

macleopard13
07-06-2012, 08:03 PM
They did but at the end, they didnt deserve to win. It was an unbelievable present from the refs.
...and I don't complain about refereeing almost never...

Consolations to fellow Greeks! Great job Nigeria, you just made another European team cry :(.

Olympiacos

The fact that we had the lead 79-78 and Nigeria did a clear offensive foul and instead the refs gave them 2 free throws........

then Nigeria fouled the hell out of Spanoulis on the last shot right in front of the ref and they didn't blow the whistle......

that is why Greece lost. Because we were blatantly robbed by the stupid refs. I am so sick of this. Every year almost we get robbed by the refs in elimination games. Unbelievable.......

if this had happened to Team USA they would have FIBA dismantled.

NorCal

Its a clean touch meaning it was a foul or meaning it was not a foul?

Not that Greece should have been in that situation, if you are truly the better team then you shouldn't be down 1 with less than 5 seconds to go. Sorry to all Greek fans, I personally was looking forward to playing you in the Olympics

softice
I blame Kaimakoglou. He made 2 stupid fouls in 4rth quarter and he gave them free throw bonus.
Anyway congrats to all haters...I know there are many here.
Congrats to Nigeria.

MZT Skopje
What a shooker. 120 euros up in smoke :confused:

Khalid80
07-06-2012, 08:05 PM

I just saw the replay once and it looked like a foul as after the block the Nigerian players hand hit Spanoulis' hand. Anyways with Spanoulis' FT % I wouldn't be surprised if he missed all 3 of his FT's :p

Navarro #7
The only reason that I understand for Spanoulis' foul not being called is that referees swallowed their whistles. This Greek defeat is a disappointment :(

GustavoGanso
blame your stupid coach

he didn't played Printezis and Papanikolaou the time what they deserves play.

saalsapr

Stop talking trash, we might be the one that follows Greece.

My respects to Nigeria, they've just become my world favorite team. Skinn and Diogu, who plays at the puerto rican league are my favorite players.

As for Greece, well, it appears they shot themselves out of the tournament against Puerto Rico.

They miss 5 free throws in 31 tries against us, they miss 11 free throws in 28 tries against Nigeria.

They make 14 threes in 24 tries for almost 60% against us, they make 6 threes in 18 tries for 33% against Nigeria.

And stop blaming refs greeks, you got 8 more free throw tries against Nigeria, 28 in the game like you usually do. Had the players not missed 11 free throws, you wouldnt even be in a position to lose.

auris1
Teams get to situation like this all the time.Good teams
It is referee job to make right decisions
Robbery

MrMojoRisin
07-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Consolations to fellow Greeks! Great job Nigeria, you just made another European team cry :(.

And which team was the first to cry? I doubt Lithuania were in tears after loss that changed absolutely nothing.

KWSN-Men
Congrats to Nigeria! They deserved it! Out team wasn't well prepared for them despite the fact that we played a strong friendly against them in Brazil.

Zouros proved that he is a mediocre coach who is making coach career based on his public relationships. Like most of the Greek coaches.

Greece was always playing good defence but this year we weren't playing defence at all. Our offence was much based on Spanoulis creation and nothing more.

That's a good time for most of the Greek fans and journalists to stop believing that Greece is the basketball centre of the world and there are others nations which can play good basketball too...

Next time he can go to a tournament with no C at all.

And the usual journalists will talk about his new in innovation...

Shawshank
Thats Nigeria team is FOR REAL! nobodys beat 2 elite teams in world in same tournament not being strong as a team...

About refs there were a foul on spanulis shot yes,but greece shouldnt let it go to final shot anyway.By the way i dindt think greece should cry about ref,all game long they got so many free throws that it looked that refs are helping greece...

Bravo nigeria! And were are those greeks who said we are definetely gonna to qualife? its sport everything possible!

Illegal2k10
07-06-2012, 08:07 PM
The only reason that I understand for Spanoulis' foul not being called is that referees swallowed their whistles. This Greek defeat is a disappointment :(

It really is. what a bad day for european basketball. :(
i havent watched the game, but if it was a foul on last play, they should have counted it.

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
That was a faul.

How come a player make such a risky play like that in the last second of the game.

I think it's obvious why. Nigeria knew the refs were on their side. It was obvious after Greece took the lead, all of a sudden every call mysteriously went to Nigeria, even ones that were so obviously called wrong.

People debate about for example did the refs purposely make Spain beat Greece 2 years ago - well I think we know now that FIBA has an agenda against Greece. This game was a clear highway robbery.

The refs could say the missed call at one end was a mistake, but then Spanoulis was practically thrown to the floor and the guy is holding his arm while he shooting, right in front of the refs and no fouls.

In any league or tournament in the world - the refs blow the whistle on that. Even in the NBA where they have almost an unwritten rule not to call fouls on the last shot, even in NBA that is called 99 out of 100 times.

Unbelievable. But all we will see now is how "Nigeria upset Greece" and all this nonsense. I would have no problem if we lost fairly, but this is too much, to lose like this by the refs in a game where both teams fought so hard and made so many clutch plays.

This was even worse of a robbery than the refs did to Serbia against Turkey 2 years ago.

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
If Greece had hit their free throws it wouldn't have needed to come down to a last second call by the refs. Never put yourself in a position where it comes down to that.

If refs ever did Team USA like that...FIBA would be abolished.

NorCal
07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Teams get to situation like this all the time.Good teams
It is referee job to make right decisions
Robbery

I agree but the Greeks left their fate in the hands of a referee and referees make mistakes. We could go round and round with this argument but the fact is that, even if the referees screwed up on one play Greece still put themselves in that position. The blame should go around.

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Come on man you are giving him exactly what he wants. Stop messing around with trolls

Hepcat
07-06-2012, 08:12 PM

That's a classless remark. Why are you taunting a team's fans after a heartbreaking loss? Why do you hate the Greeks?

:confused:

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Please stop joking. We all saw it. It was a blatant foul. Please do not start trolling here.

JGX
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Foul or not on the last play, you would have to go through the whole game and account for every incorrect call before declaring anything a robbery.

Victorious
Playing a knock out game against a very decent underdog which has nothing to loose is a very difficult task for a team which came over without its centers and relies on the three point shots. The Greek players kept their cool until the end. They didn't shoot badly, but Nigeria did a great job too and dominated in the paint. Greece couldn't answer because they lacked depth in the paint.

In the end Nigeria commited a clear foul, but the referee, like the neutral fans will favor the underdog in this situation. Logic suggests that the favorite team shouldn't have put itself in this position.

Too bad, I had the feeling that Zouros would play good basketball with the centers. Now it will probably cost him his position.

Olympiacos
...and a team of decent American players with a few weeks practice is still good enough to beat a top European team in a big game. I was worried for a few years back in the 2000s.

Thank god for streaming video on the smartphone.

They didn't beat Greece. The refs did. And if your Team USA was ever treated like that by the refs, there would be a war started probably.

GustavoGanso
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah, was a clearly foul on 3PT Spanoulis, but Greece lost for themselves

11 missed FT

Papanikolaou and Printezis too much time on the bench

i'm little sad too but congratulations to Nigeria

beat Lithuania and Greece in the same torunament is not for everyone.

Straight forward
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Congrats Nigeria! Great effort, great fight. They played primitive, but with so much heart :cool:

Greeks seemed kinda sleepy in this game. And you can't expect refs to call a foul (it's a question if it was) on such a crazy shot from nowhere at the last second of the game. Such calls are extreamely rare and this case obviously wasn't for exclusion.

septynix
07-06-2012, 08:16 PM
What about the Great train robbery?

Kaf kaf kaf kaf. Get a hobby, man.

Aaaand back to topic. Ok, to be fair, I think refs definitely helped, overall Greece is a better team. But boy oh boy am I glad about the outcome. Never was a fan of Greek NT ("hey, maybe lose this game and avoid Spain... whoops, hey Spain! Awww we lost to Spain, damn referees!!") and Nigeria did beat Lithuania so, you know, was hoping maybe this Lithuanian NT is not that unstable/sucky.

And the game itself was pleasant to watch, so thank you.

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Oh look, the guy called "Gabe" that harasses and insults everyone who is not American at the FIBA message boards has dropped in to rub it in and brag about the refs robbing Greece.

Yes, such a pathetic fan base, that we are upset that we just got robbed of the Olympics by the refs and everyone here knows it. Even the Lithuanians admit it, and for Lithuanians to admit that for a Greek team - that is unbelievable.

NorCal
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I think it's obvious why. Nigeria knew the refs were on their side. It was obvious after Greece took the lead, all of a sudden every call mysteriously went to Nigeria, even ones that were so obviously called wrong.

People debate about for example did the refs purposely make Spain beat Greece 2 years ago - well I think we know now that FIBA has an agenda against Greece. This game was a clear highway robbery.

The refs could say the missed call at one end was a mistake, but then Spanoulis was practically thrown to the floor and the guy is holding his arm while he shooting, right in front of the refs and no fouls.

In any league or tournament in the world - the refs blow the whistle on that. Even in the NBA where they have almost an unwritten rule not to call fouls on the last shot, even in NBA that is called 99 out of 100 times.

Unbelievable. But all we will see now is how "Nigeria upset Greece" and all this nonsense. I would have no problem if he lost fairly, but this is too much, to lose like this by the refs in a game where both teams fought so hard and made so many clutch plays.

This was even worse of a robbery than the refs did to Serbia against Turkey 2 years ago.

This from the guy who yesterday was accusing USA fans of setting up excuses for our own team weeks prior to the Olympics even starting. Biggest hypocrite I've ever met- just STFU.

To all the rest of the Greek fans- you guys are good sports and I have a lot of respect for you and how you support your team.

Psofimis
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Next time he can go to a tournament with no C at all.

And the usual journalists will talk about his new in innovation...

Before we continue trash eachother let me say that even Pedoulakis would take 3 centers with him and propably got us the ticket.Imagine the failure.
I want zouros in a greek team so I can spit on him each week....If we take him on Olympiakos I ll poison his food with my crap.He deserves worse....

Hepcat
07-06-2012, 08:19 PM

By rights that's the kind of comment that can and should come back to bite you on the ass during the Olympics. On any given day....

:rolleyes:

Olympiacos

The fact that the refs stole the game should have no bearing whatsoever right? So please explain why Serbia didn't fire Ivkovic after they lost to Turkey. I mean if this loss was the fault of Zouros and not the refs, then surely the loss of Serbia in the semifinal two years ago was also the fault of Ivkovic.

I see there are a lot of NBA fans posing as Greeks here.

KWSN-Men
Playing a knock out game against a very decent underdog which has nothing to loose is a very difficult task for a team which came over without its centers and relies on the three point shots. The Greek players kept their cool until the end. They didn't shoot badly, but Nigeria did a great job too and dominated in the paint. Greece couldn't answer because they lacked depth in the paint.

In the end Nigeria commited a clear foul, but the referee, like the neutral fans will favor the underdog in this situation. Logic suggests that the favorite team shouldn't have put itself in this position.

Too bad, I had the feeling that Zouros would play good basketball with the centers. Now it will probably cost him his position.

Zouros is an idiot.

Psofimis
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
You have been confirming my thoughts with your basketball views, you confirm them again now.

I hope you feel better now that you "offended" me.

I didnt offend you by telling you what you are and its my right to hate albanians pao fans...
Its not racism.I just hate albanians pao fans more than the greek ones.

MZT Skopje
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
How the fuck could greece lose this match. You did look in great form against Porto Riko. 120 euros bye bye.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Zouros gambled and lost. He thought too much about the Olympic Tournament and not enough about the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Regarding the refs. I had the impression that they favored us during the game.
Bouroussis got free throws at some points allthough he did not even jump.
You cannot expect to get a foul in the 2 last two seconds of the game.

The game was lost 2 seconds before when the Nigerian defender managed to kick the ball out.

So Zouros is out of the NT for sure. Who will be the next? Will Giannakis return?

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
How the fuck could greece lose this match. You did look in great form against Porto Riko. 120 euros bye bye.
Yeah,our players played as sleepy,but the refs helped a little!!

KWSN-Men
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Before we continue trash eachother let me say that even Pedoulakis would take 3 centers with him and propably got us the ticket.Imagine the failure.
I want zouros in a greek team so I can spit on him each week....If we take him on Olympiakos I ll poison his food with my crap.He deserves worse....

Pedoulakis is a mediocre knows and knows it.

Zouros is a mediocre coach that thinks he is something special.

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM

So how come Nigeria did an offensive foul on the other end and was given 2 free throws?

The refs cannot do that. They cannot award 2 free throws, not even on a Greek foul, but on an offensive foul by Nigeria, and then a second later "swallow the whistle" on a clear foul by Nigeria.....

A foul that would have granted 3 free throws in a 1 point game. After just seconds earlier, Nigeria got 2 free throws. Instead of swallowing the whistle on Nigeria's miss, they got the foul call. Never mind that the Nigerian guard did an arm hook and made an offensive foul........

It really shows how most of the Americans here have zero class and are here to do nothing but antagonize others and bash on anyone that isn't a Team USA supporter, how they come here to trash talk some of them (not all) after such a robbery by the refs.

If Team USA had this happen to them, I bet that Team USA would never even compete at a FIBA tournament again. But it happens to Greece and it's just "Greece deserved to lose", "congrats to Nigeria", etc.

Unbelievable lack of class from some of you guys here. (I'm not referring to you Navarro).

KWSN-Men
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I didnt offend you by telling you what you are and its my right to hate albanians pao fans...
Its not racism.I just hate albanians pao fans more than the greek ones.

You're a funny guy.

You make people laugh.

MJ was an alien
A lot of people were happy today! that shows a lot.

Straight forward
Two historical wins for Nigeria in two days! Not too shabby huh! :D

And they will bang as hard as they can against Russia as well. Surprise of the tournament, no single doubt!

Blackway
Nigeria won.

Refs let Nigeria play a little "different" breed of basketball but it's ok. Hopefully, this will spread basketball in their country.

usagre
Oh look, the guy called "Gabe" that harasses and insults everyone who is not American at the FIBA message boards has dropped in to rub it in and brag about the refs robbing Greece.

Yes, such a pathetic fan base, that we are upset that we just got robbed of the Olympics by the refs and everyone here knows it. Even the Lithuanians admit it, and for Lithuanians to admit that for a Greek team - that is unbelievable.
who cares if you are in the olympics? you never made it out of the quarterfinals in your history. why would this year have been any different

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:30 PM
΄΄Olympiakos΄΄,you are right.
They stole us in Euro 2012,they stole us to this tournament,too...:mad:

Olympiacos
And stop blaming refs greeks, you got 8 more free throw tries against Nigeria, 28 in the game like you usually do. Had the players not missed 11 free throws, you wouldnt even be in a position to lose.

The refs robbed us of a win and the Olympics and you think we should just let it go.........OK whatever man. You know if it happened to Puerto Rico, I am sure the vast majority of Greeks here would feel bad for you.

But in our case, it's "stop blaming the refs" - even though it is the ref's fault that we lost the game.

rikhardur
For the new users (and for oldies as well), more OT, flamewars, flamebait, insults and the like will be rewarded with post deletion and immediate ban.
Thanks.

fasoulaki
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Congrats to Nigeria. Very athletic and disciplined team. If you start to give some assists,play some systems and do not rely so much on 1-on-1 situations you will become unbeatable.

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
who cares if you are in the olympics? you never made it out of the quarterfinals in your history. why would this year have been any different
Please,mate,you mean exactly this:
You always be eliminated from quarter-finals in the Olympics,why do you want to qualify to be eliminated again?:p
Of course,your comment is ridiculous.Sorry,mate!:)

Venti Quattro
07-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Dreams shattered by Ike Diogu :rolleyes:

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I agree but the Greeks left their fate in the hands of a referee and referees make mistakes. We could go round and round with this argument but the fact is that, even if the referees screwed up on one play Greece still put themselves in that position. The blame should go around.

It was not a mistake, it was an intentional help to give Nigeria the win.

Don't forget that Nigeria got 2 free throws just seconds earlier, when they missed a shot, and were not even fouled, and actually were guilty of an offensive foul.

I suppose you think this all a coincidence and a mistake? I assure you that this forum would be crashed right now with hundreds of Americans crying and calling for blood if this was done to Team USA.

The site would crash from all the Americans posting.

LTbotd
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Guys give me the video of those last seconds! :D

usagre
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Please,mate,you mean exactly this:
You always be eliminated from quarter-finals in the Olympics,why do you want to qualify to be eliminated again?:p
Of course,your comment is ridiculous.Sorry,mate!:)
i am just saying that it doesn't really change the tournament at all. the medal contenders will still be there. greece never has been one.

MJ was an alien
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
i am just saying that it doesn't really change the tournament at all. the medal contenders will still be there. greece never has been one.

yes we were. you dont seem to know much.

babdelkader
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
later is Lithuanian and Macedonian time to back home... hahahahaha

maybe?

Macedonia home for sure, Lithuania is a strog team to lose in such stage.

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Do you have complex because of our 8 wins over PR in 9 matches?:rolleyes:

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Zouros gambled and lost. He thought too much about the Olympic Tournament and not enough about the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Regarding the refs. I had the impression that they favored us during the game.
Bouroussis got free throws at some points allthough he did not even jump.
You cannot expect to get a foul in the 2 last two seconds of the game.

The game was lost 2 seconds before when the Nigerian defender managed to kick the ball out.

So Zouros is out of the NT for sure. Who will be the next? Will Giannakis return?

No sane Federation will fire Zouros over a game that the refs decided.

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:42 PM
OK,so lets eliminate FYROM of Tynesia,becaue they never been medal contenders!!:)
Are you serious,mate?Because of we never took a medal,that means that we dont have the right to participate?
Nigeria deserved more?

Dtown
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
60.7% on 28 attempts from the line in a 1 point loss. Greeks have no one to blame but themselves.

achelim niabass
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
It was not a mistake, it was an intentional help to give Nigeria the win.

Don't forget that Nigeria got 2 free throws just seconds earlier, when they missed a shot, and were not even fouled, and actually were guilty of an offensive foul.

I suppose you think this all a coincidence and a mistake? I assure you that this forum would be crashed right now with hundreds of Americans crying and calling for blood if this was done to Team USA.

The site would crash from all the Americans posting.

I love your emphatic style for a while...

1. Congrats to Nigeria. Don't like their basket style, but they hit too many hard shots. Great energy under the rim too. That was their night !!!
2. I can't understand why the refs are in the center of the table.
3. Greece has lost the game itself. Many things to discuss on the other thread !
4. That's enough for the moment.

An other point : f....... big s.... !!! Yes, I'm so sad and angry.

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Nigeria+referes vs Greece 80-79
Nigeria vs Greece=?

Tasos Peiraias
07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
And that's what nationalism does for you - people think their countries are best in the world in a particular aspect. I think that if people would acknowledge their countries' strengths and weaknesses instead of making binary generalizations, then there wouldn't be so much dispute.
We dont think that we have the best team in the world.
But we are stolen,bro!!Come to our situation:If Lithuania lost from PR tonight and the refs stole you especially in the last few seconds,you will complaint.that means that you are nationalist?

Venti Quattro
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Nigeria vs Greece=?

Should have been a blowout. Referees can only do so much. That's Nigeria! A top-class team would have beaten them by at least 10 points on a bad day.

The referees should have been no excuse for your team!

Victorious
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
[quoted post deleted]

Olympiacos,

Give it a rest. Nigeria played great, Greece played very average at best. They were up by 12 points in the first half and lost.

Rotela
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
You guys keep blaming the refs, but how quickly you forget when Al Farouq Aminu drove to the basket and he got fouled, but nothing was called, the refs didnt call a lot of fouls on both side, Nigeria just wanted the game more and Greece relied on Spanoulis too much

Shawshank
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I bet instead of Merkel jumping up and down, somewhere Obama is jumping up and down.

So sad............we get robbed by the refs and instead of getting any sympathy from the Americans - they trash talk and taunt and tell us to shut up.

There really is something very wrong with some people here.

sorry mate people are normal here.Yes there were a foul on spanulis shot but you can call you got robbed by refs if you are playing against africa 1/4 game and lossing 1 when left 2,5s...Eeverybody felt in love with nigeria passion and huge heart they shown.You can call you got robbed if all game referies would killing grece,but now all game refs gave many many free throes which greece didnt deserve in game progress.Refs made mistake in last moment,but they were definetely not bad for greece in this game,so please dont act like ref killed you...the nigerian pasion and team spirit did that!

KWSN-Men
07-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Nigeria vs Greece=?

Nigeria had players with foul trouble.

Melancholic Elias didn't even think of trying to foul them out.

saalsapr
07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Fuck*ng referes!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Where do you see the foul in the Nigerian player?Hey?
And clean foul to Spanoulis idiot....Learn basketball,idiot ref!!!!:mad:

Thats what you get for being arrogant, but dont worry, rest easy knowing that greeks where good training for Nigeria. :D

Olympiacos
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
We dont think that we have the best team in the world.
But we are stolen,bro!!Come to our situation:If Lithuania lost from PR tonight and the refs stole you especially in the last few seconds,you will complaint.that means that you are nationalist?

Wow he calls us nationalist because we are upset at the refs doing us wrong? This after the other guy says that Germany owns us, but not in those words?

What have we done to make the others here so happy about us being stolen by the refs? Most of the Greek fans here are nice guys.

sanemax
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I feel really bad for fellow greeks right now. Lithuania's loss to Nigeria was a big blow to our ego, but aside that, it didn't affect our standings. Meanwhile, Greece won't have another chance at qualifying to the olympics. I definitely wanted to see Greece at the olympic games, as they doubtlessly belong there (more than certain teams, that are already qualified).
On the other hand, Nigeria displayed a really inspiring performace. Basketball they play is simple yet passionate. They deserved this win (and the win against Lithuania a day ago) because of their effort ant devotion. Even if they won't be able to maintain such performance (that is likely, i don't see them beating Russia and 3rd place game opponent), they are the victors of this day and they can rejoice for now.

Olympiacos
07-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Video confirmation that Greece was robbed by the refs. This is how we know who is telling the truth in this forum, and who is not. There are a lot of trolls here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJu_9vh7EjE&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/98643/180/item

Greece 79-80 Nigeria
Nigeria stunned Greece 79-80 behind Ike Diogu and Al-Farouq Aminu to march into the next stage and send the favored Greeks home. The thrilling game went down to the wire and Turkish Airlines Euroleague Final Four MVP Vassilis Spanoulis had a chance to win it at the buzzer, but Derick Obasohan blocked his shot on a controversial play, no foul was called and Nigeria celebrated.

Navarro #7
07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Olympiacos you are wasting your time. You will not change what happened although you are right in my opinion and for others.

Southpaw
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
No foul there, hand is part of the ball. Nigeria is just the better team .You can cry a river, sleep tight but you still wake up and can't change the FACT. Moved on

jiggawhat
07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Best replay camera angle they can come up with is all the way across the length of the court?

Olympiacos
07-09-2012, 12:06 AM
No foul there, hand is part of the ball. Nigeria is just the better team .You can cry a river, sleep tight but you still wake up and can't change the FACT. Moved on

Arm isn't part of the ball. He was holding Spanoulis' arm while he was trying to shoot. Not just holding it, but actually pulling him down with it.

Olympiacos you are wasting your time. You will not change what happened although you are right in my opinion and for others.

Thanks. At least some guys here have class.

GustavoGanso
07-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Arm isn't part of the ball. He was holding Spanoulis' arm while he was trying to shoot. Not just holding it, but actually pulling him down with it.

Thanks. At least some guys here have class.

I told here 100 times, Greece was robbed, ok...

all brazilians television commentators told the same... we all know it...

but Greece could won the game if they not missed 12 free throws, your team could played better than that.

Olympiacos
07-09-2012, 06:48 AM
I told here 100 times, Greece was robbed, ok...

all brazilians television commentators told the same... we all know it...

but Greece could won the game if they not missed 12 free throws, your team could played better than that.

Yes. But as you can see, many people here say that there was no foul and the refs didn't rob us. So obviously a lot of people here have an agenda, because as you said, it was a foul and everyone who saw it knows that. No one is saying Greece could not have played better, just that it's wrong that some people are making comments like "shut up and stop being arrogant, there was no foul and the refs had nothing to do with it".

Posts like that, of which there were many, even to our own national team thread. No one has a problem with someone saying we should have played better, it's that other nonsense which is really rude and insulting.

Southpaw
07-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Yes. But as you can see, many people here say that there was no foul and the refs didn't rob us. So obviously a lot of people here have an agenda, because as you said, it was a foul and everyone who saw it knows that. No one is saying Greece could not have played better, just that it's wrong that some people are making comments like "shut up and stop being arrogant, there was no foul and the refs had nothing to do with it".

Posts like that, of which there were many, even to our own national team thread. No one has a problem with someone saying we should have played better, it's that other nonsense which is really rude and insulting.

It was not a foul. Refs did the right thing. Greece just lost to a better team. Just wait another 4 year. Greece might qualify and finally win a medal. Right now just sit back and watch all those good teams fighting for silver. And once again Diogu beasted against those stiffs from Greece.

Olympiacos
07-09-2012, 07:37 AM
It was not a foul. Refs did the right thing. Greece just lost to a better team. Just wait another 4 year. Greece might qualify and finally win a medal. Right now just sit back and watch all those good teams fighting for silver. And once again Diogu beasted against those stiffs from Greece.

It was a foul and every person that actually saw the game admits it. You didn't see the game. You are an NBA only fan and actually have probably never in your whole life even seen a FIBA game.

Southpaw
07-09-2012, 07:53 AM
It was a foul and every person that actually saw the game admits it. You didn't see the game. You are an NBA only fan and actually have probably never in your whole life even seen a FIBA game.

No it's not a foul. Stop being a sore loser. Just wait another 4 years.

Olympiacos
07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
No it's not a foul. Stop being a sore loser. Just wait another 4 years.

It was a foul.

Mojado
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
It was a foul.

It was not. No complaining also can bee seen by your video.

fasoulaki
07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
It was not. No complaining also can bee seen by your video.

It was a clear foul and you see also some complains in the video. But the Greeks knew that you do not get a foul whistled in the last 2 seconds of a game.

It was not this foul that caused the loss. Also the questionable fouls called on Kaimakoglou and Zissis are not the reason.

You can see in this video that Spanoulis misses a free 3pt shoot and a free-throw. Bouroussis misses a lay-up. Printezis forgets to block-out Al-Faruque and so he goes for a tip-in dunk.

Thats the reason for the loss.

Olympiacos
07-09-2012, 07:07 PM
It was a clear foul and you see also some complains in the video. But the Greeks knew that you do not get a foul whistled in the last 2 seconds of a game.

It was not this foul that caused the loss. Also the questionable fouls called on Kaimakoglou and Zissis are not the reason.

You can see in this video that Spanoulis misses a free 3pt shoot and a free-throw. Bouroussis misses a lay-up. Printezis forgets to block-out Al-Faruque and so he goes for a tip-in dunk.

Thats the reason for the loss.

fasoulaki, I am baffled by your reasoning. It is totally illogical. Nigeria gets free throws with 3 seconds on the clock, but Greece "knows they can't get them with 2 seconds on the clock".

Please explain to me what magically happens between 3 seconds and 2 seconds on the clock. Where is the rule that says at 3 seconds teams shall be granted free throws, but at 2 seconds they shall not be?

For what you claim to be true, then Nigeria would also have not been shooting free throws. You can't make up your own facts here. You can't say that one team simply will never get a call at 2 seconds, but that's it's perfectly normal for another team to get a call at 3 seconds.

This is absolutely totally illogical and makes absolutely no sense at all.

Rotela
07-10-2012, 11:55 PM
you are not in the Olympics, get over it.

Olympiacos
07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
you are not in the Olympics, get over it.

Please show a little more class.

Mojado
07-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Please show a little more class.

That coming from you? How long will it take for you to let that topic go? Never?
Lets put it that way: Yeah, FIBA called the Nigerian coach and the powerful Nigerian basketball federation (They have money in the basement and oil in their tanks you would not believe) and assured them that in crucial moments during the tournament and whenever its a close game, that their refs will be whistling for them if they are going to send one full ship of oil to Geneva. Since the Greeks have no oil and usually love to debate til the sun is up, they refused finally FIBA's offer to pay them to advance to London which would have cost additional money and so on and so on.
Are you happy now with explanation why they did not call the foul on Spanoulis?

PS: You know absolutely nothing about how Nigerian media works and what coaches in Nigeria have to say in order to get some support by the government. Less than 1% of the money that the government puts into football is the budget of Nigerian hoops. Go ahead and figure how much money they have to bribe FIBA...