PDA

View Full Version : [DAY 2] Group A: Jordan vs. Puerto Rico

OSHAFA
07-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Qualification to the 2nd round "Moment of Truth" !

rocketstar47
07-03-2012, 05:06 AM
Puerto Rico will win these but dont count out Jordan Easily.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 05:15 AM
I was disappointed by Jordan in their first game so I expect Puerto Rico to win this by 25-35 points.

sixama23
07-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Puerto Rico should win this one easily. I don't trust them cause they are capable of losing from everyone (and winning everyone of course) but Jordan seems to be very weak.

Tasos Peiraias
07-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Puerto Rico will win with 20-30 points.

Khalid80
07-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Jordan will put up everything they have in this game as I do believe from before that they knew the game against Greece was close to impossible.

Still though Jordan doesn't have that many experienced players when it comes to their bench and any foul trouble for Zaid Abbas and Sam early on during the game will have disastrous effects.

Puerto Rico though are a very tough team and will still be able to win today.. I predict a +24 point win.

Bold Prediction: Puerto Rico 91 - 67 Jordan

Tasos Peiraias
07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Oh,my God,the looser of a game
takes 1 point and the winner takes 2,
so the group is like this:
1.Greece 2
2.Jordan 1
3.Puerto Rico 0
;)

Terrorizer
07-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Puerto-Rico will win but I hope that Jordan can play it better than their first game. Yet the generation changes and absence of Wright seem to be too much for this Jordan NT to stay competitive in the Olympic qualification. In this group Greece - Puerto-Rico promises one hell of a game. Greece has more quality but Boricuas are unpredictable and with their furious and energetic play-mode are a hard match-up for slow and rather academic Greek NT.

kalashnikov
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
...are a hard match-up for slow and rather academic Greek NT.

you've clearly missed any footage from the Greece friendlies or the match against Jordan... Greece surely has its weaknesses, but "slow" is no longer one of them

Terrorizer
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
you've clearly missed any footage from the Greece friendlies or the match against Jordan... Greece surely has its weaknesses, but "slow" is no longer one of them
You're wright, I don't see Greek team this year so maybe I'm mistaken. But I know all its players pretty well and this team ain't radically different to the one of EB-2011, so which factors have changed that make your team faster? Who are the players which make Greece playing fast? And, you know, I think that slow and viscous style of play concentrated on defense and deliberate moving the ball on offense with attacks near the twentieth second of the possession fits Greek players pretty well. Maybe it's not that spectacular or flashy but players are used to it and it helps them to use their potential to the maximum. So if I was a Greek NT fan I prefer them to play traditional slow bball rather than run 'n' gun style of, say, many Latin teams full of both impressive fast-breaks and ugly defensive failures.

kalashnikov
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
The two changes are:
1) Compared to EB11: Addition of players such as Printezis, Spanoulis, Mantzaris, Mavroidis who are generally, fast players
2) The only "heavy" center in the team is Bouroussis (who btw. is quite fast for a center himself). It's not uncommon for Greece in this year to be playing without a classic center, but rather with 2 PF (e.g. Printezis-Kaimakoglou) at the front-line.

But don't get me wrong. Greece will never be run-n-gun. It is just a faster more dynamic and versatile team than the one we were used to watch during the years of Diamantidis/Papaloukas

Dtown
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Puerto Rico can lose to anyone, but I'm having a hard time seeing them lose to Jordan. So long as they focus on the game, and don't overlook Jordan they should be fine for a 10-15 point win.

mochoso
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
No doubt Puerto Rico will beat Jordania. PR 102 - 63 Jordan

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Puerto Rico will go big against Jordan.

Ramos - Sanchez - Peavy - Barea - Arroyo

aymanxp
07-03-2012, 06:04 PM
This is it ...

It should be an interesting game ... all the support to our NT Players "Nashama" ... we know they can do it.

GO JORDAN

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 07:48 PM
We were a shot away from London vs Argentina... now we get Jordan, Greece and Lithuania in that orden.

FIBA really loves us.

Bet is Jordan will shoot 30 FT's and Greece will shoot 40 against Puerto Rico :rolleyes:

fasoulaki
07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Bet is Jordan will shoot 30 FT's and Greece will shoot 40 against Puerto Rico
Seems that your team is prone to fouls! :D

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
just ask the DR who got 35 freebies from us on CentroBasket or the greeks who shooted 16 in the last 4 minutes a couple of years ago

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Jordan on a 2-3 zone and PJ Ramos with 6 points in thee first 2 minutes.

Dtown
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
29-11 Puerto Rico after 1. Just calmly taking care of business as they should.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
attention youtubers... record this game!

babdelkader
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
can't believe how poor we are !!!

Dtown
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
attention youtubers... record this game!

Aren't snuff films illegal?

edit: so yeah, Jordan are terrible. Playing against two of the best teams in the tournament isn't helping, but at least it will be over in 20 minutes.

Victorious
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
just ask the DR who got 35 freebies from us on CentroBasket or the greeks who shooted 16 in the last 4 minutes a couple of years ago

Make a video and show us which calls were wrong. Or otherwise your argument is mute. The last four minutes get very physical and teams play at their best. It's nothing special when a team makes 8 fouls in the last 4 mins. I've seen the game and I think you are making an overstatement.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Aren't snuff films illegal?
report me :rolleyes:

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Make a video and show us which calls were wrong. Or otherwise your argument is mute. The last four minutes get very physical and teams play at their best. It's nothing special when a team makes 8 fouls in the last 4 mins. I've seen the game and I think you are making an overstatement.

wait for the tournament to be over, I will gladly do it kiddo.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
groups of 3 teams is stupid. next time they should make it a 16 team tournament. 4 groups of 4.

5 europeans
4 americans
3 asians
3 africans
New Zealand

babdelkader
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
groups of 3 teams is stupid. next time they should make it a 16 team tournament. 4 groups of 4.

5 europeans
4 americans
3 asians
3 africans
New Zealand

better to exclude 3 asians and New Zealand :P

Dtown
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM

5 europeans
4 americans
3 asians
3 africans
New Zealand

Seems like that would take too long, remember they still have the Olympics to get too. Not sure what Canada or Cote d'Ivoire would add to the tournament aside from additional blowouts anyway.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM

5 europeans
4 americans
3 asians
3 africans
New Zealand

I can't believe you are suggesting this in the middle of what will surely be a 40+ point blowout. If anything, there should be fewer teams not more in future pre-Olympic tournaments. It is unfair to qualifying teams to waste their time playing against very weak opponents. What they should really do is not give an automatic bid to Oceania, then have 4 spots available in the OQT. You bring in 12 teams (4 European, 3 American, 2 African, 2 Asian, 1 Oceanian). Same format only there are no games after the QFs. You can be done in 4 days.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Seems like that would take too long, remember they still have the Olympics to get too. Not sure what Canada or Cote d'Ivoire would add to the tournament aside from additional blowouts anyway.

an extra day?

babdelkader
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
I can't believe you are suggesting this in the middle of what will surely be a 40+ point blowout. If anything, there should be fewer teams not more in future pre-Olympic tournaments. It is unfair to qualifying teams to waste their time playing against very weak opponents. What they should really do is not give an automatic bid to Oceania, then have 4 spots available in the OQT. You bring in 12 teams (4 European, 3 American, 2 African, 2 Asian, 1 Oceanian). Same format only there are no games after the QFs. You can be done in 4 days.

format should be as follow: no OQT, 3 teams from europe and Puerto Rico should qualify AUTOMATICALLY, instead waste their time.

Dtown
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
an extra day?

Do we really need an extra day of games like this?

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM

I suggest this because a lot of this teams (Macedonia, Dominican Republic, Jordan, Venezuela and Korea) should be exposed to this level of basketball more often.

babdelkader
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I suggest this because a lot of this teams (Macedonia, Dominican Republic, Jordan, Venezuela and Korea) should be exposed to this level of basketball more often.

Angola and Nigeria are not that far from the level of the coutries you mentioned.

Psofimis
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Jordan have 1/19 3ps.They're raping the rim in the bad way...

Victorious
07-03-2012, 10:45 PM
No there shouldn't be a pre-olympics tournament.
Europe should have 5 or 6 direct spots for the Olympics. Americas 3 or 4, Asia 1, Africa 1, Oceania 1.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 10:45 PM

I think you are right. But there needs to be a balance between the needs of the weaker teams for exposure to high-level competition and the needs of the stronger teams for an adequate preparation schedule for the Olympics. I think my suggestion works well since it gives more (not fewer) opportunities for all OQT teams to qualify (4 instead of 3) and 1-2 fewer games for all qualifying teams. The only loser is Australia (or New Zealand) which must compete in OQT to qualify.

Dtown
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Europe should have 6 direct spots for the Olympics. Americas 3, Asia 1, Africa 1, Oceania 1.

Rubbish, Angola already demonstrated why this is silly and Puerto Rico deserves as much as a chance to prove their worth on the court as any of the left over european teams.

Psofimis
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
This Franklin has 10 points with 5 dunks.He just doesnt want to score with another way.I think he missed both of his FTs intentionally... :P

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Europe should have 5 or 6 direct spots for the Olympics. Americas 3 or 4, Asia 1, Africa 1, Oceania 1.

The pre-Olympic tournament is critical because it allows for changes in the relative strength of teams from each continent to manifest themselves. The system you propose assumes that every year the relative strength of the continents is reflected by the ratio you propose. But this might not be the case, and this can only be revealed in a pre-Olympic tournament. Countries from each continent should be allowed to compete and prove they are better than those from other continents. The problem I have with this OQT is that there are too few spots available and too many games scheduled.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Puerto Rico is usually not known for their defense but they are holding Jordan to sub-50 points in this game. Is this a sign that Puerto Rico is a great defensive team this year or is Jordan just that bad?

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Puerto Rico is usually not known for their defense but they are holding Jordan to sub-50 points in this game. Is this a sign that Puerto Rico is a great defensive team this year or is Jordan just that bad?
Puerto Rico has improved on the defensive side since we got Melendez as coach in 2011.

Dtown
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm hesitant to take anything from either Greece or Puerto Rico's wins over Jordan.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
The Greece-Puerto Rico game tomorrow has the potential to be the best game of the group stage. Ramos was a beast inside today and Greece is weak at the C position, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the paint tomorrow.

Victorious
07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
The pre-Olympic tournament is critical because it allows for changes in the relative strength of teams from each continent to manifest themselves. The system you propose assumes that every year the relative strength of the continents is reflected by the ratio you propose. But this might not be the case, and this can only be revealed in a pre-Olympic tournament. Countries from each continent should be allowed to compete and prove they are better than those from other continents. The problem I have with this OQT is that there are too few spots available and too many games scheduled.

Countries from each continent can prove their level every four years at the WC where 24 teams of all continents are allowed to participate. Should the Asian, African and Oceanian teams perform better vs the rest of the world than I'm all in favor of changing the distribution of teams per continent at the Olympics.

Rubbish, Angola already demonstrated why this is silly and Puerto Rico deserves as much as a chance to prove their worth on the court as any of the left over european teams.

What about the other 'left over teams' from Europe (Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy) who didn't make the final 6 of Eurobasket? Most of the ones I listed could compete with Puerto Rico on the world stage, but they didn't manage to qualify. In the Americas there are probably 3-4 teams (excluding the USA) who are more or less on that same level and almost all of them will be able to reach the Olympics.

PRSURF
07-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Puerto Rico is usually not known for their defense but they are holding Jordan to sub-50 points in this game. Is this a sign that Puerto Rico is a great defensive team this year or is Jordan just that bad?both things lol

JGX
07-04-2012, 06:30 AM
If Jordan had pulled out the game against China and qualified for the Olympics, would they have sent their full team to London? Because this was sad.

Khalid80
07-04-2012, 07:56 AM
If Jordan had pulled out the game against China and qualified for the Olympics, would they have sent their full team to London? Because this was sad.

I'm pretty sure things would have been much different (as in better)... I do believe a proper budget would have been placed for the team, better preparation, probably have a naturalized player whether it's Rasheim Wright or someone else.
It would have been a once in a life time opportunity and something historical and an honor for the Jordanian NT as well as the nation of Jordan and it's people.

Maybe even King Abdullah himself would have made sure that anything required by the team would be secured/obtained for them to ensure that the best preparation possible would be in place.

I'm just assuming these things would have happened :p

Tasos Peiraias
07-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Good news:Puerto Rico beat Jordan with a difference of 41 points,while Greece beat them with a difference of 44 points.
Maybe that means something!:p

Dtown
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Countries from each continent can prove their level every four years at the WC where 24 teams of all continents are allowed to participate. Should the Asian, African and Oceanian teams perform better vs the rest of the world than I'm all in favor of changing the distribution of teams per continent at the Olympics.

What about the other 'left over teams' from Europe (Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy) who didn't make the final 6 of Eurobasket? Most of the ones I listed could compete with Puerto Rico on the world stage, but they didn't manage to qualify. In the Americas there are probably 3-4 teams (excluding the USA) who are more or less on that same level and almost all of them will be able to reach the Olympics.

You're contradicting your own argument, if Puerto Rico is about on the same level as these 2nd and third tier european teams (because lets be honest the difference between Slovenia/Serbia and Lithuania/Greece last year was small), why shouldn't they be allowed to play them to see who goes? I fail to see how settling it on the court can possibly be considered a bad thing. If they're better they'll qualify and it will only take four to five games that would have spent on prep games anyway.

Edit: Aha I just noticed you edited your original post to 5 or 6 european spots instead of 6 as you initially did. That does make a difference, but I still prefer the drama the limited number of spots provided at Eurobasket and the Americas, and the OQT over meaningless prep games.