PDA

View Full Version : [DAY 2] Group B: Lithuania vs. Venezuela

Dtown
07-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Lithuania had something of a rough preparation, the Host is coming off a hard fought win over Nigeria. Is there a chance at an upset? Or does Lithuania cruise?

edit: whoops feel free to merge or delete.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Dtown - can you change New Zealand to Venezuela in the poll?

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Lithuania had something of a rough preparation, the Host is coming off a hard fought win over Nigeria. Is there a chance at an upset? Or does Lithuania cruise?

edit: whoops feel free to merge or delete.

well you got the group name right (B instead of C) so we should keep this and delete the other one, no?

Dtown
07-03-2012, 03:19 AM
D'oh, and apparently not. Though the Mods will merge this thread with the other topic soon enough....

Any mod if you can see this please change New Zealand to Venezuela in the poll.

[Done]

macleopard13
07-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Oh hey! I made a thread on this topic. Mine's the one with the pretty picture on it :).

well you got the group name right (B instead of C) so we should keep this and delete the other one, no?

Aw, you're right! My bad :(. They'll probably delete my thread because it's labelled wrong.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Oh hey! I made a thread on this topic. Mine's the one with the pretty picture on it :).

Can you change the name of your thread so the group name is right (Group B instead of Group C)?

macleopard13
07-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Can you change the name of your thread so the group name is right (Group B instead of Group C)?

No. At least I don't know how to.

EDIT: It's Lithuania vs. Venezuela, not Lithuania vs. New Zealand in your poll. Both our threads are flawed :D.

christodoulou76
07-03-2012, 05:19 AM
I think Lithuania will win by 20.

Tasos Peiraias
07-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Lithuania will win,but not easily.

Shawshank
07-03-2012, 07:14 AM
tough tough openning game for us... We have better team,but you always have to prove that on the couart.Difficult win for lietuva +5 at the end...

Mindozas
07-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Lithuania most of the times is clumsy in opening games, now against hosts, who put off the pressure of their shoulders last night by beatin' Nigeria... I don't know. Hard call. Vasquez probably will have another 25-30pts game, but it won't be a surprise. We must control boards, we have experience on our side and if hosts won't have crazy shooting night and momentum on their side with crowd behind their back pushing them forward - I think we have good chances here. Still, somehow Poland-Lithuania from 2009 pops into my mind here. Their fast, wild, passiionate game, decent shooting killed us. It very well can repeat itself here...On the other hand, such teams tends to collapse if smth goes wrong, so really hard to tell. I know what to expect from Lithuania, but I not from hosts... Just hope everything will be fine

vaslover
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Poor lithuanians. To play against hot like flame host team at night and most probably, with Hugo Chavez on the tribunes of Arena... Such even will not wish an enemy...

Khalid80
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Won't be an easy game but I do think Lithuania will prevail. I expect Lithuania to win by a margin of 8 points.

Bold Prediction: Lithuania 84 - 76 Venezuela

fasoulaki
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Poor lithuanians. To play against hot like flame host team at night and most probably, with Hugo Chavez on the tribunes of Arena... Such even will not wish an enemy...

Do you really expect that Hugo will have such an impact on the game! :D

vaslover
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Certainly. One only his KILLING GAZE can psychologically to break anyone... :)

fasoulaki
07-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Certainly. One only his KILLING GAZE can psychologically to break anyone... :)

Well, I think Hugo will get a lot of opportunities to gaze. .. :D

Dtown
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
darn poll's still broken.

Well either way, I think Lithuania wins in semi comfortable fashion +10, with Venezuela keeping within shouting distance for most of the game.

macleopard13
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Who votes New Zealand? New Zealand's not even playing against Lithuania!

In a regular game with no home court advantage, I'd say Lithuania would win +12-13. In this game, however, Lithuania could win +5-6. They claim they run fast basketball, but we do too. Pocius, Dulkys, Kaukenas, Kalnietis all take advantage of their speed. Kalnietis and Vasquez will be a good matchup indeed.

EDIT: Crab Lazdeika, the oracle, agrees. Lithuania will win!

NOTE: If he's wrong, we're boiling him for dinner :D.

You can see the video here: http://sportas.delfi.lt/olimpiada/krabas-lazdeika-venesuelai-nepades-ir-pats-kobe-bryantas.d?id=59047255.

mochoso
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
I cant wait to see Romero battling Kleiza and Jona at the boards. It should be a fun game, and i take Venezuela to upset Lithuania!

Hepcat
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM

I don't. He's lost a step and can't run the floor the way he could some years ago. If the Venezuelan coach is smart, Hugo will spend most of the game on the bench, or better yet, in the stands.

:(

Dreamcatcher
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.basketnews.lt/foto/ziureti-28191.html

I heard about contrasts in Venezuela and now i see it :eek:

Mindozas
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.basketnews.lt/foto/ziureti-28191.html

I heard about contrasts in Venezuela and now i see it :eek:

You mean creepy results after cheap plastic surgeries? :eek:

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Liths by 15. The Romero-Kleiza matchup will be entertaining. Pepito better be ready for the trashtalkin when he logs into xbox live :D

saalsapr
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Im might get an orgasm watching this game. (Can I say this?)

In truth though, and as good as the DR-Korea game was, this might be better if the homecrowd plays a factor unlike yesterday.

Lithuania have been subpar in most friendlies, so we will have to see if it translates to how they play tonight, or if they show another face.

Picking the elite squad to win by 10. (You know who it is)

Dtown
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
While I love having a tournament close to my timezone for once, it's weird for the board to die right before the biggest game of the day. Wonder how many Lithuanian fans will stay up for it.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
While I love having a tournament close to my timezone for once, it's weird for the board to die right before the biggest game of the day. Wonder how many Lithuanian fans will stay up for it.

I love it, I dont remember when was the last time that the euro teams came to latinamerica
Macedonia played 2 friendlies in PR and South Korea made their training camp here.

J-Mart
07-04-2012, 12:13 AM
It's not like Venezuela had a chance, but they looking scared tonight.

Dtown
07-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Slow start but Venezuela woke up in a big way :)

Lithuania 23-21 after one.

NorCal
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Fun game so far. Cox on fire!!!!!

Side note- I wish they would replay some of the foul calls. Its often hard to tell whether there was contact or not unless you see it slowed down.

Federoy
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Damn, I wish I could watch this game live! At least FIBA has a real-time scoreboard I can follow. It looks like early on Venezuela is giving Lithuania all it can handle; 40-34, LITH, as I type this.

Guard
07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Well this game is done after those silly fouls on Vasquez. 2 reaching fouls in few mins decided this game.
14-2 run for Liths after he sat down.

Dtown
07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Lithuania started to lock them down on d and have begun to pull away. Venezuela was really struggling to score at the end there.

Dtown
07-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Damn, I wish I could watch this game live! At least FIBA has a real-time scoreboard I can follow. It looks like early on Venezuela is giving Lithuania all it can handle; 40-34, LITH, as I type this.

Don't have a computer that can handle the stream? Or at work?

Straight forward
07-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Wow, I didn't see that much fire coming from Venezuela. Lithuania showed guts there. Kleiza doing his job :cool:

It's far from being over.

saalsapr
07-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Man Venezuela's offense has been bad so far this tournament, which is ironic considering at Mar De Plata de had one of the best offense and the worst defense.

At least their bad defense showed tonight, now where's their good offense? :D

Kleiza is a friggin baller. Might be the tournaments best player.

sixama23
07-04-2012, 12:55 AM
No Vasquez, no party for Venezuela. They cannot score without him in the game.

Lithuania also is shooting very well.

CKR13
07-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Lithuania is in a position for cruise control for the win.

Olympiacos
07-04-2012, 01:11 AM

I haven't been able to get any of the streams of the whole tournament to work, and I have a decent computer and connection. The streams just all suck.

Federoy
07-04-2012, 01:17 AM

Yeah, I have an older computer. It SUCKS. I'm trying to get a laptop before the Olympics start (not because of the Olympics; merely coincidence) so I can improve my viewing options!

Federoy
07-04-2012, 01:26 AM
From the live score result, it appears that Lithuania is maintaining a +14-16 point lead over Venezuela. It's starting to look academic for the Europeans.

Dtown
07-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Venezuela just can't hang with them, every time they go on a run Lithuania's got a quick answer.

NorCal
07-04-2012, 01:27 AM
what's the score?

Dtown
07-04-2012, 01:32 AM
84-69 Lithuania, in the 4th.

edit: 100-82 the final. Liths too much for Venezuela.

macleopard13
07-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Kemzura took a timeout when they were leading by 18 points. Bad decision! Venezuela didn't shake hands with us!

saalsapr
07-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Musselman apparently hasnt found out what goal average means in this first round. Nigeria is light years away from beating Lithuania by 19, but the game is still played until the clock reaches zero in this kind of tournament.

Back in Turkey, if Puerto Rico had gone for the shot against China instead of winding the clock down, we could have evaded being eliminated by a team we thought we would beat.

christodoulou76
07-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Man, Lithuania looked good tonight. I think the loser of the Greece-Puerto Rico game tomorrow might be in serious trouble...

mochoso
07-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Awful timeout from Lithuania, men I hope Nigeria foul them hard tomorrow, I know Nigeria will lose but i want them very physical against Lithuania and they will do!

macleopard13
07-04-2012, 01:59 AM
I cant wait to see Romero battling Kleiza and Jona at the boards. It should be a fun game, and i take Venezuela to upset Lithuania!

What battle? Romero got pwned - fouled out!

We look good, but still not perfect. We still commit many silly mistakes. Passing wasn't too good. I still think we don't have many chances against Greece. Puerto Rico? Maybe.

Ashtrusis_dantis
07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Awful timeout from Lithuania, men I hope Nigeria foul them hard tomorrow, I know Nigeria will lose but i want them very physical against Lithuania and they will do!

Sorry, but bsht. We dont have such convention in Lithuania and dont try to use conventions of your iner championship on international level, Kemzura was solving his own problems - 4 sec for a last atack is perfect time to test some schemes.
Venesuelas coach was acting like hysteric, have some honour, know how to lose.

Straight forward
07-04-2012, 02:09 AM
I still think we don't have many chances against Greece. Puerto Rico? Maybe.

You are rocking the board fella. Maybe Lithuania should just pack the shit and back home than :p

I saw the strongest performace of the tournament so far, having in mind that Venezuela wasn't a shark meat (differently than Greece's, Russia's, Puerto Rico's opponents) and Lithuania hold back in all difficult situations, showing guts, patience and finally dominating at the end.

sixama23
07-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Let's be honest...
Nigeria has little chances to upset Lithuania tomorrow. But Nigeria beating Lithuania by 19 can only happen in another life.
Goal average is not an excusion. Kemzura' move was unecceptable...

On the other hand, congrats to Lithuania. Venezuela is not that bad. The Lithuanians did a very good game, shooting 50% from 3pt line. It's tough to beat Lithuania when they are shooting like this.

Tha crucial time-space of the game was at the end of 2nd quarter when Vasquez sat on the bench with 3 fouls.

Wide
07-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Lithuania played plainly solid tonight. Venezuela had a lot of energy and emotion coming in and throughout most of the game, but they just could not stop great execution. Even with no Kleiza team would quickly find another option (streches by Songaila, Kalnietis and others). There were some bad turnovers in the first half, defense may have been a bit better, but it is a great game, considering it was an opening game against a host team, which already had played its first match (must be coincidence!)

Venezuela, on the other hand, looked a bit raw. Vasquez is undoubtedly a great talent, but team did not execute too well on him. At least few teams he had a mismatch against Javtokas or another big guy, but teammate just would not pass the ball. Also, I doubt the type of emotion Venezuela showed does a lot good at the highest level. It seemed as if the team stopped to focus on the game or the play and cared too much about little details, refs or, indeed, the timeout in the end. Anyone in the right mind would recognize Kemzūra did this to get a basket for better goal average. That's what great teams try to do, attempt to get every little advantage they can.

Lithuania must stay focused. For many of the players (Pocius, Valančiūnas, Kalnietis) this stretch now and in London (if team qualifies) is perhaps the most important of their basketball careers.

@JeffreyNTaylorIf Lithuania play like this, they'll be on podium in London. Unbelievable effort by a whole cast of players. Vasquez also superb for hosts

Ashtrusis_dantis
07-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Goal average is not an excusion. Kemzura' move was unecceptable...

Like i wrote earlier "bla bla bla" - it's international basketball and we don't have such convention, so all blames a blsh.

Ashtrusis_dantis
07-04-2012, 02:32 AM
And now first fans are writing on Lithuanian sites from Caracas, and they are writing that time out was called becourse of Vaskez talking... We shall see.

shaolin95
07-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Labas to all my Lithuanian friends!
I am from Puerto Rico and I have to say Lithuania played good. Venezuela is not a top team but they are a good team and you guys handled them well even when they tried very hard. I wish Puerto Rico didnt have to play you guys on the Second round because I have many friends in Lithuania, from Vilnius , Silute, Kaunas and Kelme. I even have a lithuanian flag in my living room as I plan to visit the country this year.
Anyways, this tournament is tough as the favorites are Lithuania, Greece and Russia with Puerto Rico really close to get that final spot. When the team is going, we can beat almost any team but sadly we can go from amazing to horrible from one game to the other.
Tomorrow should be an easy game for you guys and for us..is an almost necessary win.

Viso gero

Straight forward
07-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Lithuania played plainly solid tonight. Venezuela had a lot of energy and emotion coming in and throughout most of the game, but they just could not stop great execution. Even with no Kleiza team would quickly find another option (streches by Songaila, Kalnietis and others). There were some bad turnovers in the first half, defense may have been a bit better, but it is a great game, considering it was an opening game against a host team, which already had played its first match (must be coincidence!)

I'm very happy with Jonas Mačiulis' performance (11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists). The guy is filling the 3 just like he did in Turkey and a lot of people thought he won't be able to deliver after the injury and the lack of top stage basketball experience. That was the main concern after Jasaitis' injury. Songaila proved me wrong and hopefully keep doin this. I expected Kleiza doing well, but he did even better. Šaras and Kalnietis combined 15 assists and 24 points. Pocius despite few mistakes looks like a strong starter. The only players that could and can deliver more - Kaukėnas and Valančiūnas. This team is surely the deepest Lithuanian NT since 2008 (we'll have the addition of Jasaitis and Seibutis for Olympics (if)).

macleopard13
07-04-2012, 02:40 AM
You are rocking the board fella. Maybe Lithuania should just pack the shit and back home than :p

What I mean is - we're still not in perfect. Remember, we wasted a 12 point lead and let Venezuela tie the game. The passing was weak too. If it weren't for Kleiza's performance, we'd have been screwed at the beginning. The coach has many flaws to fix.

Marius123
07-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Nigeria has little chances to upset Lithuania tomorrow. But Nigeria beating Lithuania by 19 can only happen in another life.

If I'm not mistaken, the safety margins are somewhat different for Lithuania: a loss by 10 deprives it of the 1st place, and in order to be eliminated it has to lose by somewhat like 30 points.

macleopard13
07-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Labas to all my Lithuanian friends!
I am from Puerto Rico and I have to say Lithuania played good. Venezuela is not a top team but they are a good team and you guys handled them well even when they tried very hard. I wish Puerto Rico didnt have to play you guys on the Second round because I have many friends in Lithuania, from Vilnius , Silute, Kaunas and Kelme. I even have a lithuanian flag in my living room as I plan to visit the country this year.
Anyways, this tournament is tough as the favorites are Lithuania, Greece and Russia with Puerto Rico really close to get that final spot. When the team is going, we can beat almost any team but sadly we can go from amazing to horrible from one game to the other.
Tomorrow should be an easy game for you guys and for us..is an almost necessary win.

Viso gero

Thanks :D! You'll be playing after us, so it won't matter whether we win or lose - your game will determine who we'll face in the quarterfinals. Right now, you're the best non-European team in the tournament, so it will be hard for any European team to beat you - after all, you've shown everybody that you can beat Macedonia twice! Best of luck to you guys! :D

Terrorizer
07-04-2012, 03:53 AM
I saw the strongest performace of the tournament so far, having in mind that Venezuela wasn't a shark meat (differently than Greece's, Russia's, Puerto Rico's opponents) and Lithuania hold back in all difficult situations, showing guts, patience and finally dominating at the end.
Not a shark meat like Jordan or South Korea (no offense for those teams) but not a solid opponent whom you will be facing in QF. See, this Venezuelan team has only three players who are offensively capable on the level of elite national teams: young egomaniac Vazquez who costs his team a solid amount of points by his braindead decisions and turnovers (really dissapointed by him, don't see him that much before and, you know, typical NBAish bullshit of a PG, individually talented but with no game feeling and intellect whatsoever), 37 y.o. Torres who was one hell of a player back in the day but 'was' is the main word in this sentence and John Cox who is a solid player but hugely unstable as it was seen even in this game - after grandiose first half he simply disappeared in the second one.
Don't get me wrong - your team played well and its chances for qualification are high but it's far from being granted. And you can have much bigger problems even with Puerto-Rico (not to talk about Greece).

JGX
07-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Has Romerovas ever taken a three that didn't go off the back rim?

No class by Venezuela at the end, it's totally reasonable for Kemzura to want to maximize the point differential in this situation.

Shawshank
07-04-2012, 06:18 AM
I and as many lithuanian fans we were worried about our team after preparation games.But what i saw in our first game,we saw real lithuanian basketball ! 5 player 10+ ....Fantastic Kleiza game and solid team effort,solid defence,smart exacution and triples faling like rain in autumn...Ok no need to be too optimistic its was only the first step and we made 1/4 game.
Now all our mind,all our tools and everythign we have we have to bring to 1/4 game.THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT game win or go home.Im not sure what will happen,because we gonna get very strong opponent,but what i saw today WE will HAVE A CHANCE...

Shawshank
07-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm very happy with Jonas Mačiulis' performance (11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists). The guy is filling the 3 just like he did in Turkey and a lot of people thought he won't be able to deliver after the injury and the lack of top stage basketball experience. That was the main concern after Jasaitis' injury. Songaila proved me wrong and hopefully keep doin this. I expected Kleiza doing well, but he did even better. Šaras and Kalnietis combined 15 assists and 24 points. Pocius despite few mistakes looks like a strong starter. The only players that could and can deliver more - Kaukėnas and Valančiūnas. This team is surely the deepest Lithuanian NT since 2008 (we'll have the addition of Jasaitis and Seibutis for Olympics (if)).

Senas arklys vagos negadina...

Vazzy
07-04-2012, 08:54 AM
great start for Lithuania team so far. good performance by our both Play makers. ofc Kleiza did his job well, but on the other hand, he is not the only one who brought the victory.
Vazquez on my mind just looked like an idiot this game like his coach who want understand how to loose at all.
what the hell are they was thinking about then there was left 4 seconds and they started to complain about time-out? cant understand this kind of situation.

Mindozas
07-04-2012, 09:38 AM
what the hell are they was thinking about then there was left 4 seconds and they started to complain about time-out? cant understand this kind of situation.

We have a great signature of JGX here: "Most ppl get childish when they lose." (Fedfan)

About the game: I didn't expect such performance offensivelly from us. It was known very well that Venesuela is weak defensivelly, but still, we managed to take most of our chances, hit the shots - smth that didn't happen for a long long time. However, still too many up and downs through-out the game, our defense is shaky, but it isn't our stong part anyways, however, there's still big space for improvement.

Overall good opening game

Gytaz
07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Vazquez on my mind just looked like an idiot this game like his coach who want understand how to loose at all.

+1

They both acted like clowns, complaining, leaving the court immediately after the game without shaking other teams players' hands (which is always done after the game) and talking shit at the press conference.

This so called "unwritten rule" that you can't take a time-out at the end of the game if the winner is already clear, is just stupid. This is Olympic qualifying tournament, not some street-league and Musselman should know better. If he doesn't like that, he can go back to the NBA, where the point difference doesn't matter, but I guess nobody wants him there.

Good game by Lithuania, much better than any of the friendlies.

MrMojoRisin
07-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Liths desperately need to fix their problems with silly mistakes, I mean, it's inexcusable for team with highest goals to do so many stupid and needless turnovers. Also, we must keep the rhythm the entire game, we can't just go with the flow and let the opposition to make their way back into the game, again, it's gonna cost dearly againt top notch teams. But yet, it was a good first game, I knew our team would step it up their game and they did it in the nice fashion. Like we say in Lithuania, "Sensation? For you - maybe, for me? - no. " :rolleyes:

Illegal2k10
07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Venezuela coach is a joke:P i cant believe he didnt get a T after that circus worth performance.

Miškinis
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
The game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej41e0eeiuk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGLSAosGHI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O8IwxpSVOU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuzVVJJNMto&feature=player_embedded

stojanov8
07-04-2012, 06:15 PM
lithaunia you loosers ,refs unfair ,no bad refs ,venezuela win!!

Hepcat
07-04-2012, 06:21 PM
It's sad that these tournaments always seem to draw the buffoons out of the woodwork.

:rolleyes:

christodoulou76
07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
It's sad that these tournaments always seem to draw the buffoons out of the woodwork.

:rolleyes:

I was just thinking the same thing. ;)

sinobball
07-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Musselman apparently hasnt found out what goal average means in this first round. Nigeria is light years away from beating Lithuania by 19, but the game is still played until the clock reaches zero in this kind of tournament.

Back in Turkey, if Puerto Rico had gone for the shot against China instead of winding the clock down, we could have evaded being eliminated by a team we thought we would beat.

Nigeria is not lights away but I thought your post was quite prophetic in a way. Congrats! :D