PDA

View Full Version : [Day 1] Group D: Angola vs. FYROM

sinobball
07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Time: 16:30 local time
Date: 07.02.2012

Dtown
07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Game of the day imo. fyr of Macedonia should rightly be favored, but Angola is so experienced and unlikely to be in awe of any opponent. I say close through three quarters before the euros pull away for a semi comfortable win.

Tasos Peiraias
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I think it is going to be a derby.

Mindozas
07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I think it is going to be a derby.

How it can be a derby in any way? :confused:

Anyways, I believe Europeans will prevail here

Victorious
07-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I agree with my fellow members. The miracle team of the last eurobasket will win. Won't be easy though, it's a do or die game for both teams so there will be some pressure involved. Remember, the looser will most probably play Russia. Which means that they can say goodbye to the Olympics.

cardenales
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
FYROM Macedonia should win this one. We are going to see probably the tallest team so far in Angola basketball history.

Pero Antic
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM
FYROM Macedonia should win this one. We are going to see probably the tallest team so far in Angola basketball history.

Wow our Group looks quite boring compared to the others......however we should win this one if we want to avoid the Russians.

sixama23
07-01-2012, 11:52 PM
FYROM didn't play very well in their friendlies and Angola is the most experienced African team. They have played in many FIBA international competitions.

I think is gonna be a close match...
The winner of this will probably finish 1st in Group D.
Can't predict anything. I believe that FYROM NT won't be as good as it was last year in Eurobasket.

Lester Bo McCalebb
07-02-2012, 06:30 AM
:)GO GO GO!!!Macedonia
Wow our Group looks quite boring compared to the others......however we should win this one if we want to avoid the Russians.

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 07:02 AM
In FIBA Rankings Angola is in the 15th position and FYROM in 33rd.
But this does not mean something,just information.
And maybe it would be a derby.
I agree with sixama23.

Khalid80
07-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Should be an interesting game to watch...
Angola is a very experienced team but I don't know if they will have what it takes to beat FYROM.
FYROM to win by a 9 point margin in a tough game.

Bold Prediction: FYROM 81 - 72 Angola

Mindozas
07-02-2012, 07:13 AM
In FIBA Rankings Angola is in the 15th position and FYROM in 33rd.
But this does not mean something,just information.
And maybe it would be a derby.
I agree with sixama23.

Mate, "derby" is called the game between two teams from the same area, location (city, district f.e.) :) I don't see how these two teams can make a derby, they are even in different hemosphere :)

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Mate, "derby" is called the game between two teams from the same area, location (city, district f.e.) :) I don't see how these two teams can make a derby, they are even in different hemosphere :)
OK,sorry...In Greece when we say <derby> we mean a close match.
I did not know that.

Mindozas
07-02-2012, 07:26 AM
OK,sorry...In Greece when we say <derby> we mean a close match.
I did not know that.

It's ok, in Lithuania also there are such things when people calls close games like that or f.e. Zalgiris-Rytas game is called "derby", but it's not - it's rivalry, like f.e. Barca-Real is or PAO-Oly

Mojado
07-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Surprise win by Angola...;)

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Surprise win by Angola...;)
Why <surprise>?
I thought Angola is the favorite :confused:

Illegal2k10
07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I know Macedoia havent prooved anything yet, by they are way underrated here:P I do think they will win 10-15 points after close first half:)

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I know Macedoia havent prooved anything yet, by they are way underrated here:P I do think they will win 10-15 points after close first half:)
Nobody underrates them.
To be honest,FYROM and Korea have the weakest teams in the tournament.
But in the Eurobasket 2011 nobody believed that FYROM would take the 4th position and they did.
Maybe the miracle became again...
Nobody knows

macleopard13
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Macedonia will probably win, but I suspect the first half won't be easy. However, they should be able to beat Angola by around 10 points.

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow!In this vote,FYROM has 9 votes,while Angola 8.
In other votes there are declared favorites.
That means that the match will be good by both side.

rocketstar47
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Angola Angola!

Mojado
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

No,that basically means that the few "beloved" Fyromaniacs here on the board made us click the "Angola" button even if we know that Macedonia will probably win. Its just comes down to sympathy-factor some times when pushing the trigger ;)

kalashnikov
07-02-2012, 02:27 PM

if only the votes here were determining the result, Greece would be reigning world/european/universal champions (#greeklobby)...

but, #4 country in Europe, can't lose to any African team.

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDMgUaXKO8
In 2006 Nowitzki needed three overtimes to get rid of Angola. To my knowledge there is no Nowitzki in F.Y.R. of Macedonia.

Mojado
07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDMgUaXKO8
In 2006 Nowitzki needed three overtimes to get rid of Angola. To my knowledge there is no Nowitzki in F.Y.R. of Macedonia.

That was six years ago...are we going to look at Angola's team from 1992 that lost to the US as well? :D

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
if only the votes here were determining the result, Greece would be reigning world/european/universal champions (#greeklobby)...

but, #4 country in Europe, can't lose to any African team.
Yes of course,I just meant the game is unpredictable.
And what do you mean <Greece #4 in Europe>?
Greece is 2nd in Europe.:(

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 03:17 PM
That was six years ago...are we going to look at Angola's team from 1992 that lost to the US as well? :D
Yes maybe a player is now coach or something! :D

Dtown
07-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Well they also beat Germany in 2010, though no Dirk on that one. Simply put Angola has beaten European teams in the past, they're not afraid of them, so overlooking them is silly.

All that said I think fyr of Macedonia will win, but it wouldn't shock me if they lost either.

Mojado
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Well they also beat Germany in 2010, though no Dirk on that one. Simply put Angola has beaten European teams in the past, they're not afraid of them, so overlooking them is silly.

All that said I think fyr of Macedonia will win, but it wouldn't shock me if they lost either.

That's true, I would never overlook Angola, actually I even think they can beat Macedonia on a good day...all I'm saying is, that Germany...well if you know Bauermann's style of creating a "team" around Nowitzki and let everything evolve around him, which is Nowtzki has to do basically the scoring alone then you know why they had a hard time against Angola in 2006. I watched the game back then and it was terrible for Germany. Angolans know how to pass the ball and to play as a team. Therefore no big men needed and a lot of unconventional plays while you never know who will be their main scoring threat.

Victorious
07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
The interesting part is to see how FYR of Macedonia will play as favorites. Don't forget that they had a very hard time beating very average teams like Finland at the last Eurobasket. Basicly, they had lost all pressure after the game against Croatia. After that they created a great chemistry and feeded on the fact that they were the underdogs. Nothing came easy though.

That said, Angola is a team which the FYR of Macedonia could potentially have beaten prior to last years Eurobasket. So I stand by my earlier statements. The dominican republic will be the first challenge for McCalebb and Co.

Supply&Demand
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
No,that basically means that the few "beloved" Fyromaniacs here on the board made us click the "Angola" button even if we know that Macedonia will probably win. Its just comes down to sympathy-factor some times when pushing the trigger ;)

I'm one of the few Macedonians on here and I don't believe I've ever met you. :D

Anyway, this should be a close game in my opinion. Angola is a strong team and made it to the round of 16 in the WC, so we must be prepared. I hope the guys have had enough time together to play like they should.

By the way, can someone tell me what time this game is on CET, and if TV coverage is expected?

mochoso
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Angola will lose this one.. they might try better with NZ

Raze Lupin
07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Bo McCalebb and Antic will win.

usagre
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
angola will win by 10 points.

saalsapr
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Damn what a difference between the asian and african teams. Then again Angola consistently plays at the world level while Macedonia is new to this stuff.

JRS Bonnet
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Finally, we have a game! Excellent direction by Armando Costa. Eduardo Mingas not showing his age. Outstanding Carlos Morais!

Dtown
07-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Angola's here to play, they've been to every olympics since 1992 they won't go down easy.

Raze Lupin
07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Angola wow!

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Its a pitty that Angola does not have a center of decent height.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
what a lucky Angola !!! 70% 3pts percentage !!! woow

Dtown
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Cipriano was amazing on the offensive end, just awesome to watch, though he made some rather idiotic plays on the defensive end.

Angola's risen up and punched fyr of Macedonia in the mouth, will be interesting to see how the Euros respond.

Gonzaka
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
what a lucky Angola !!! 70% 3pts percentage !!! woowAgainst that "defense" is easy to have that percentage.

Victorious
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I am curious to see how Angola will react if the momentum turns against their favor.

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I am curious to see how Angola will react if the momentum turns against their favor.

Actually at the end/midth of the 2nd quarter things were looking bad for Angola but they managed to regain their momentum. Lets see what will happen when 3pt percentage will decrease to normal levels.

sixama23
07-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Angola's guards know how to control the pace and run their team's offence. They are the best African guards and play more like European style than Afro. That's why Angola was ruling Afrobasket for so many years.

Well they are probably a little bit of lucky from the 3pt line but most of their shots are open and coming out from good ball movement.

Some key players from FYROM such Antic and Ilievski are looking tired.

Angola should have winning by bigger margin so far...

macleopard13
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Angola's not winning by luck. That team is the only African team that has consistently challenged Europeans. Us (Lithuanians) faced problems with Angola back in '04 Olympics (eventually beat them 73:78) with our BEST ROSTER IN HISTORY. Someone mentioned that Nowitzki needed a couple of overtimes to get rid of Angola. They're willing to put up an effort against ANY European team.

EDIT: If Macedonia keeps wasting threes instead of getting to the basket and drawing fouls, I don't see them winning today's game (unless they magically start shooting threes with perfect accuracy).

usagre
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
angola will win by 10 points.

let me correct myself, angola will win by 20 points

JGX
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
lol at the FIBA TV prohibition on calling the team in red "Macedonia".

Angola's normal weakness is inside but "MKD" just isn't designed to take advantage of it. 27 threes through three quarters?

Dtown
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Okay now we've seen what happens when Angola doesn't hit any threes, they still lead by 13.

So far they've outplayed fyr of Macedonia, out boarded them, out hustled them. Can they hold on though, 10 minutes left.

J-Mart
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Someone wrote on Twitter that Bo McCalleb is still at Brava Club in Puerto Rico :D

J-Mart
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Angola was the team that forced Puerto Rico to double overtime the day before the match vs New Zealand in WBC 2002.

guilherme.rcf
07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
The coach took too long to take this time out.

Gytaz
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Doesn't seem likely now, does it?

I hope Macedonia can win this, I want to meet them again.

usagre
07-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Doesn't seem likely now, does it?

I hope Macedonia can win this, I want to meet them again.

if you play them you will win by 30. they are a fake team if i ever saw one.

J-Mart
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Macedonia wtf is wrong with the coach?

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Is antic all right?I heard he got injured....

saalsapr
07-02-2012, 10:51 PM

You are pretty bad at prediction arent you?;)

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM

he continued playing!

JGX
07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
"The team with the American guy" shouldn't get outrebounded so badly by Angola.

Dtown
07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Angola survives!

Hitting their free throws and getting rebounds. Basic necessary Basketball. Congrats to Angola!

usagre
07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
You are pretty bad at prediction arent you?;)

are you serious bro? i picked angola by 10 before the game even started and they led by double digits for most of the game.

Pero Antic
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Congrats to Angola they deserved it really bad for us we played an awful first half. It will be very hard right now to come back but hey we lost our first game against montenegro last year too....

macleopard13
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats Angola!

Your days of euphoria are over, Macedonia. Just kidding :D.

You could learn from us - to not waste three-pointers when they're not going in. Rather, drive to the basket and draw fouls.

sixama23
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats to Angola! Their win shouldn't be considered as an upset. As many people already said they have challenged even better European teams at the past.

It's early to say but I guess that at least one team of the semis won't be European...

kalashnikov
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
lol at the FIBA TV prohibition on calling the team in red "Macedonia".

where's the joke?

Now as for the match....that certainly I didn't see coming...I mean, ok, we didn't expect FYROM to be as good as in the last Eurobasket, but still I'd believe a win over Angola was the standard result. Well...let's see how the rest of the group turns out, since Angola might as well lose next match to NZ...

Pero Antic
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Congrats Angola!

You could learn from us - to not waste three-pointers when they're not going in. Rather, drive to the basket and draw fouls.

Well they had a 9/13 fir three in the first half and scored from almost death angels......crazy

christodoulou76
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Congrats to Angola! Their win shouldn't be considered as an upset. As many people already said they have challenged even better European teams in the past.

It's early to say but I guess that at least one team of the semis won't be European...

Unless Russia loses to the Dominican Republic, you are right, since if Russia beats the Dominican Republic, FYROM will play Russia in the QF. What is interesting is that if either Puerto Rico beats Greece or Venezuela beats Lithuania (but not both), there will only be 2 European teams in the SFs since Lithuania would play Greece in the QF.

mochoso
07-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Angola did it! But they wont stand a chance to go far in the tourney..

christodoulou76
07-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Angola did it! But they wont stand a chance to go far in the tourney..
All Angola needs to do now in order to give themselves an opportunity to qualify is to beat New Zealand (shouldn't be too difficult) and to beat the Dominican Republic. This game will not be easy but it is certainly not that unlikely that Angola could win that game. If they win these two games, they are in the semifinals and they will have two opportunities to qualify.

Shawshank
Finally a real game,when two teams are playing not one ! I have to say i like this angola team,its not that bad as i thought.They have small but massive bodys inside,couple quick guards and whats inyerestign they are making 3pointers...Hmm Imagine 1/4 Dominic-Angola ...But we dont know what russia team gonna do now,im not sure if they wanna play macedonia in 1/4 ...

Victorious
Pressure went up for Angola, but they managed to survive. I think this was a crucial game for both teams, as the looser won't have any chances against Russia. I saw New Zealand play against Greece and Brazil and they weren't a team that could threaten any respectable opponent. So my guess is that both Angola and FYR of Macedonia will beat them. That said, I can't see any of the teams in this group get a ticket to the Olympics.
This in not world class basketball.

Supply&Demand
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Congratulations to Angola for the deserved victory. They were superb beyond the arc and generally good when the 3 point shooting was halted. I was impressed with our fight-back (17 point deficit down to 2), but we needed to be much better. I am optimistic for our next match because I think the team learned a lot from this.

Congrats Angola!

Thanks for editing your post, because I was about to go after it. :p

You are correct. If a 3 pointer is open, take it, but the thing is we were taking bad 3 pointers that only somebody like Navarro can sink with any regularity. We really needed to run at Angola (especially since a number of their players were racking up some fouls).

J-Mart
07-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Well they had a 9/13 fir three in the first half and scored from almost death angels......crazy
That's Angola Basketball. We've been dealing with that shit for years. Welcome to the Big Leagues. Deal with it noob! :D

Shawshank
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Unless Russia loses to the Dominican Republic, you are right, since if Russia beats the Dominican Republic, FYROM will play Russia in the QF. What is interesting is that if either Puerto Rico beats Greece or Venezuela beats Lithuania (but not both), there will only be 2 European teams in the SFs since Lithuania would play Greece in the QF.

That would be just dream scenario for others teams,if 4 european teams faced each other in 1/4 ... :) Greece you are playiing after we gonna finish our game against host ! You will know what you have to do... :D

saalsapr
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
are you serious bro? i picked angola by 10 before the game even started and they led by double digits for most of the game.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/096/044/trollface.jpg?1296494117

Rotela
07-02-2012, 11:18 PM
What was the final score

Victorious
07-02-2012, 11:35 PM
That would be just dream scenario for others teams,if 4 european teams faced each other in 1/4 ... :) Greece you are playiing after we gonna finish our game against host ! You will know what you have to do... :D

I remember Greece playing Puerto Rico at the 2004 Olympics. Both teams could benefit from loosing that game as the winner had to play Argentina. In the end Greece won the game, but Puerto Rico was doing everything in its power to loose. Aroyo was missing free lay ups. That game was hilarious.

So, should Lithuania loose to Venezuela I think you'll be facing Greece for sure. Because the Puerto Ricans will definately loose the game against Greece. Besides, Kazlauskas is not the coach of Greece anymore.

Pero Antic
07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
that's angola basketball. We've been dealing with that shit for years. Welcome to the big leagues. Deal with it noob! :d

bullshit

Shawshank
07-02-2012, 11:45 PM
I remember Greece playing Puerto Rico at the 2004 Olympics. Both teams could benefit from loosing that game as the winner had to play Argentina. In the end Greece won the game, but Puerto Rico was doing everything in its power to loose. Aroyo was missing free lay ups. That game was hilarious.

So, should Lithuania loose to Venezuela I think you'll be facing Greece for sure. Because the Puerto Ricans will definately loose the game against Greece. Besides, Kazlauskas is not the coach of Greece anymore.

Im not that sure greece to are fantastic actors in this area :)) But i hope we gonna win tommorow atleast we gonna do everything we can to do that and go from there...For us doesnt matter we got tough opponent in 1/4 either way,its gonna be greece or purerturico both very high calibre teams.. ofcourse if you wanna be in olimpics you have to prove you belong there ...I hope it wont be greece,but if it will be them we gonna give a fight to them.Before tournament I thoughts russian got the easiest way to the semifinal,but after macadonias lost tonight im not that sure...

macleopard13
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Who said we're gonna lose to Venezuela :)?

And Greece will try to avoid us, because we're always deemed a "tough opponent". If we beat Greece (who we always have in official games in the last 5 years, I think), then they don't qualify. And they WANT to qualify :).

J-Mart
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
overrating venezuela cuz they are hosting.

Shawshank
07-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Who said we're gonna lose to Venezuela :)?

And Greece will try to avoid us, because we're always deemed a "tough opponent". If we beat Greece (who we always have in the last 5 years, I think), then they don't qualify. And they WANT to qualify :).

I know we have good record against greece,but you know every tournament new story and you have to forget history...game starts 0-0... Nobody said we gonna lose to host,but it would be tough against them and that crazy crowd,i would say our chances are 55-45 only little bit better than venezualas.So im not sure,atleast till now our team didnt show their full potential and who know what will happen under such dificult circumstances...Hope for best

fasoulaki
07-03-2012, 07:15 AM
"They did not know much about Angola and therefore they are in trouble now." :D
so to speak with the words of Charles Barkley. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX1O2KO83Uw

Tasos Peiraias
07-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I think it is time for FYROM to go home.:rolleyes:

greenarcher
07-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Is it just me or do we keep seeing the same names for Angola each and every year?

How old are these guys? Mingas, Cipriano, Morais and Gomes. Don't they get old or get injured?

Khalid80
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Is it just me or do we keep seeing the same names for Angola each and every year?

How old are these guys? Mingas, Cipriano, Morais and Gomes. Don't they get old or get injured?

Eduardo Mingas (1979), Joaquim Gomes (1980), Olimpio Cipriano (1982), Carlos Morais (1985)

Hehe man they're not that old but they've been playing with the Angolan NT for quite a while now. They got these players to start playing together at a young age and I do believe the Angolan federation is extremely well planned and know what they're doing.

You should have seen two years back (in 2010 World Championships in Turkey) when they still had Carlos Almeida (1976), and Miguel Lutonda (1971) who was still representing the Angolan NT at 39 years of age!!!

I do believe Angola's players are very fit and they must have an extremely amazing training program to stay that healthy and be able to still play at a high level at such an age.

By the way even in 2007 Angola had Victor Carvalho (1969) who was still playing on the NT and he also was 39 years old back then!!

greenarcher
07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
It's hard to believe none of them can crack the NBA. Nigeria has Alfarouq Aminu and Ike Diogu, the Angolans might be better than these 2.

Is basketball the most popular sport in Angola?

The unity and system of basketball in Angola is truly amazing.

Khalid80
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
It's hard to believe none of them can crack the NBA. Nigeria has Alfarouq Aminu and Ike Diogu, the Angolans might be better than these 2.

Is basketball the most popular sport in Angola?

The unity and system of basketball in Angola is truly amazing.

Basketball is the most popular sport in Angola as far as I know.
Angolan players have great bodies and i'm sure they could have a player that might get a chance at playing in the NBA.
However Angola never really had big forwards and centers like Nigeria do (even though what they lack in height in Angola they compensate in athleticism).
This is the first time in a while that they have a center who is taller than 205 cm (Joaquim Valdelicio, 208, 1990).

Also Angolans usually aren't going to live and play abroad in abundancy like the Nigerians do. Most of their players on the NT either play in Angola or Portugal even though Valdelicio is a rare case as he was playing in the U.S before.

And that's why Angola's basketball program is so impressive at developing their players.