07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Date: 07.02.2012
Time: 13:30 local time

Tasos Peiraias
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I believe that Greece will win easily.

Dtown
07-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Should be an easy win for the Greeks, only way they should have any trouble is if they look ahead to Puerto Rico, and even then it shouldn't be much.

christodoulou76
07-01-2012, 09:35 PM
This might be a closer game than people think. I expect it to be an entertaining game. Looking forward to it! Good luck to both teams!

cardenales
07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
DTwon, you think PR is a bad team? I expect the game Greece-Puerto Rico be like a war.

Dtown
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
DTwon, you think PR is a bad team? I expect the game Greece-Puerto Rico be like a war.

Not at all, I meant the only way the Greeks should have a problem with Jordan is if they are already thinking about the Puerto Rico game. That game should be great.

sixama23
07-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Not at all, I meant the only way the Greeks should have a problem with Jordan is if they are already thinking about the Puerto Rico game. That game should be great.

Agree...
I don't think that we will have serious problems against Jordan.

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Guys do u think it'll affect somehow our extra day of rest in the game with PR or the second game in 2 days of Jordan in their match with the pouertoricans?I know that it cant happen otherwise with a grp of 3 teams but it seems a bit unfair right?

mochoso
07-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Puerto Rico will win this Group bu wide margin

cardenales
07-02-2012, 06:20 AM
I dont think we beat Greece with a wide margin. Oh no!!!!!!!!!! Greece is a though team, hard to beat.

Khalid80
07-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Even though I want the Jordanian NT to show a good level in this tournament I honestly don't think this will happen.
This Jordanian roster is a bit revamped and is missing out on some crucial veterans who retired from the team (Ayman Idais and Zeid Al Khas). Rasheem Wright not playing with Jordan also affects the scoring capabilities of the team as he could have easily averaged 15 ppg for the team.

I expect the game to end with a +37 point margin of victory for Greece.

Bold prediction: Greece 102 - 65 Jordan

Tasos Peiraias
07-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Puerto Rico will win this Group bu wide margin
Hmmm....The difficult case of Puerto Rico is TO WIN THE GROUP not TO WIN THE GROUP BY WIDE MARGIN...:p

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Its the FIBA Asia 2011 2nd against the FIBA Europe 2011 6th ranked team. I am watching the FIBA Asia 2011 final game at the moment (it is available on youtube). Jordan lost by one point against China with China playing at home. Jordan seemst to play strong and physical defense. In offense sometimes they are very fast and explosive. Sometimes the looked quite static.

Mojado
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Its the FIBA Asia 2011 2nd against the FIBA Europe 2011 6th ranked team. I am watching the FIBA Asia 2011 final game at the moment (it is available on youtube). Jordan lost by one point against China with China playing at home. Jordan seemst to play strong and physical defense. In offense sometimes they are very fast and explosive. Sometimes the looked quite static.

Worthless to watch - All key players from 2011 are not with the team in Venezuela. Everything but a blow-out win for Greece would be a surprise.

sixama23
07-02-2012, 09:05 AM

They are missing some key players from 2011 squad, such as Rasheem Wright, Islam Abbas and Zaid Al-Khas...

Without them, mainly without Wright, Jordan is a totally different team.

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
All key players from 2011 are not with the team in Venezuela. Everything but a blow-out win for Greece would be a surprise.

Where can I find the official roster of the teams which are participating OQT. Seems there is no official website.

fkayios
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Where can I find the official roster of the teams which are participating OQT. Seems there is no official website.

http://london2012.fiba.com/ its the qualifiers page at the moment

For the match i see greece wining but not easily ...

aymanxp
07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Hopefully Jordan NT can manage to present a fair fight, and i hope we'll be able to enjoy a good game of basketball.

macleopard13
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Greece is gonna crush Jordan's ass +20 at least.

uRAgan
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Hellas +20

Victorious
07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
It all depends on how serious Greece will take the game. If they take it serious and play hard, then I see no chance for Jordan. If Greece starts soft and allows Jordan to gain confidence, then it can be a hard game.

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
mantzaris is out.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Link to the match: http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/58958/1/greece-vs-jordan-live-stream-online.html

Khalid80
07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
21 point Greek lead after 1 quarter.. I just hope Jordan doesn't lose by more than 50 points at this rate.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Looks like Jordan began with great enthousiasme, Greeks are confidents.
Elias Zouros is coaching Greece, he used to coach in Lebanon years ago.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Is F. Najjar better than Rasheem Wright ???
WEIRED coachs !!!

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Not even with Michael Jordan...

saalsapr
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
The ironic thing about this is that Jordan started better than Korea did against Russia. Unfortunately Greece plays faster than Russia does, and they're not missing anything.

Jordan will probably pack it in cause they got no chance in this.:eek:

sinobball
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
They are missing some key players from 2011 squad, such as Rasheem Wright, Islam Abbas and Zaid Al-Khas...

Also Wesam Al-Sous was a key player in 2011.

The game is even uglier than the Korean one, at least Korea forced some turnovers, Jordan just surrendered after 5-6 minutes. Hope for a better showing against PR.

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
all this money, which were spending for the trip of Jordan to venezuela, was sth like throwing money out of the window.
with such a weak team, they had to know, they they are to weak to reach one of the places. instead of this, they could play some friendlies...
it would have been better to stay at home, if they are missing their best players...

30 pts difference at halftime

interxavierxxx
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Question: has Printezis always been this athletic? I've only seen him play a few times for the Greek national team (back when he had long hair).

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
all this money, which were spending for the trip of Jordan to venezuela, was sth like throwing money out of the window.
with such a weak team, they had to know, they they are to weak to reach one of the places. instead of this, they could play some friendlies...
it would have been better to stay at home, if they are missing their best players...

They are not missin their players, three players retired, and Rasheem Wright was eliminated of the squad by the coach.

Khalid80
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM

They are missing those players because they are either retired (Zaid Al Khas and Ayman Idais), Wessam Al Sous (banned from playing), Rasheim Wright (not called to join the NT).

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
They are not missin their players, three players retired, and Rasheem Wright was eliminated of the squad by the coach.

it is the same...only the missing of wright is a huge lost, that they aren`t able to cover...

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
when jordan scored after 6-7 minutes in the second quarter one greek guy screamed GOAAAL!! :)

OSHAFA
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
don't talk on our behalf !
we are missing Islam Abbas & Wesam Sous (banned from the Federation)
Zaid Alkhas & Ayman Idais (retired)
Ahmad Hamarsheh & Ibrahim Bassam
Ahmad Dwairi (Injured)
and you say we don't miss anybody !!!?
even if we did not miss them, we will not match up with Greece !

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Question: has Printezis always been this athletic? I've only seen him play a few times for the Greek national team (back when he had long hair).

He is the opposite of Samson.When he cut his hair he became powerful....

OSHAFA
07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Greece is playing great and not missing any shot!
this is what we call a World Class Team, i thin that Greece will get a medal in the Olympics this Summer
from the beginning we did not expect a better result than Korea, Tab Baldwin's main focus is on Puerto Rico's game though i doubt that we can match up with them but am sure we are going to give them a hard time

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM

He's not nearly as athletic as he used to be actually.

christodoulou76
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
when jordan scored after 6-7 minutes in the second quarter one greek guy screamed GOAAAL!! :)

No need to mock Jordan. We were once getting beat by a lot in international competition. No need to be arrogant bullies like the Americans..

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
this is what we call a World Class Team, i thin that Greece will get a medal in the Olympics this Summer
from the beginning we did not expect a better result than Korea, Tab Baldwin's main focus is on Puerto Rico's game though i doubt that we can match up with them but am sure we are going to give them a hard time

greece could play with their B team, which were in Australia last week, and they wouldn`t have any problems

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
don't talk on our behalf !
we are missing Islam Abbas & Wesam Sous (banned from the Federation)
Zaid Alkhas & Ayman Idais (retired)
Ahmad Hamarsheh & Ibrahim Bassam
Ahmad Dwairi (Injured)
and you say we don't miss anybody !!!?
even if we did not miss them, we will not match up with Greece !

NO OFFENSE,
That what I mean, players retired and players banned, other players you mentioned are not that powerful,
I was talking about Rasheem WHO HAS the big impact.
Im ok with you, teams like Lebanon and Jordan would NEVER match up Greece, even in 3000 years.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Do you think Puerto Rico is any easier than Greece ? Cmon

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
here u can see (Korea, Jordan), that Fiba Asia is 10,20,30 years behind european Basketball.
i don`t think, that any asian team will win any big titel in the next 30-40 years

turk-jugoslav
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Training match

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
greece could play with their B team, which were in Australia last week, and they wouldn`t have any problems

Let's not get carried away.

No need to mock Jordan. We were once getting beat by a lot in international competition. No need to be arrogant bullies like the Americans..

The Americans trash talk even after they lose. They consider it "trolling" to even say that they are not invincible. If Greeks were as arrogant as they were, they would mock Jordan, even if Jordan won the game.

christodoulou76
07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
here u can see (Korea, Jordan), that Fiba Asia is 10,20,30 years behind european Basketball.
i don`t think, that any asian team will win any big titel in the next 30-40 years

I think it is unfair to make this generalization. As others have mentioned, Asian teams have played well at World Championships before, and even have players in the NBA. This particular Jordan team has a lot of absences but it is not representative of Asian basketball, and it probably isn't representative of Jordan's capabilities in the years to come.

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Let's not get carried away.

it was no unterstatement...it is the truth, no joke or anything else

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I think it is unfair to make this generalization. As others have mentioned, Asian teams have played well at World Championships before, and even have players in the NBA. This particular Jordan team has a lot of absences but it is not representative of Asian basketball, and it probably isn't representative of Jordan's capabilities in the years to come.

jordan was ranked low at the last world champs, and without the amercian guy,they wouldn`t have win one game, they maybe wouldn`t have qualified for the world champs/olympic qualifiers ...it is sad, that not only jordan, but also in europe - georgia, mazedonia, azerbaidchan...have to naturalized US guys, that they maybe win some games...

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Not really. Have you ever watched a Chinese Basketball Association game? That's the best league in Asia. It reminds of the level of European basketball from the 80s. So it really is about 30 years behind.

it was no unterstatement...it is the truth, no joke or anything else

I think the Greek B team might beat them. To say they would have no problems beating them isn't fair. Did you see some of the players on the "B" team? In actuality, some of the players would be more like a D team level.

mochoso
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
On Wednesday, Puerto Rico will beat Greece. They look strong today, but against a weak Jordan team.

interxavierxxx
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Not really. Have you ever watched a Chinese Basketball Association game? That's the best league in Asia. It reminds of the level of European basketball from the 80s. So it really is about 30 years behind.

I couldn't agree more. Asian basketball is really lacking the high level competition present in Eurobasketball. This isn't helped by the fact that mismanagement in basketball affairs tend to happen frequently in this region (especially in the Philippines).

christodoulou76
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM

We are not talking about leagues here. National teams are not the same as leagues. And the fact is that Asian teams have been competitive with European teams in the past 10 years - Iran, Jordan, China have all scored some significant victories internationally. This particular Jordan team seems to not be competitive, but that does not mean that every Asian team is and will be 30 years behind European teams in the near future.

interxavierxxx
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
We are not talking about leagues here. National teams are not the same as leagues. And the fact is that Asian teams have been competitive with European teams in the past 10 years - Iran, Jordan, Tunisia, China have all scored some significant victories internationally. This particular Jordan team seems to not be competitive, but that does not mean that every Asian team is and will be 30 years behind European teams in the near future.

Either way, there is another problem hounding Asian basketball and that is consistency. So far, only China has had success with beating teams in Europe on more than one occasion. The other teams in Asia have only managed to score only one upset or none whatsoever.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
We are not talking about leagues here. National teams are not the same as leagues. And the fact is that Asian teams have been competitive with European teams in the past 10 years - Iran, Jordan, Tunisia, China have all scored some significant victories internationally. This particular Jordan team seems to not be competitive, but that does not mean that every Asian team is and will be 30 years behind European teams in the near future.

I think you mean Lebanon, Chiina as Iran, Tunisia and Jordan had never made significant victories internationally.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Either way, there is another problem hounding Asian basketball and that is consistency. So far, only China has had success with beating teams in Europe on more than one occasion. The other teams in Asia have only managed to score only one upset or none whatsoever.

you forgot Lebanon.

christodoulou76
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
I think you mean Lebanon, Chiina as Iran, Tunisia and Jordan had never made significant victories internationally.

Also Tunisia is in Africa. Sorry about my brief lapse in geographical knowledge...:o

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Also Tunisia is in Africa. Sorry about my brief lapse in geographical knowledge...:o

True. But they resemble more to teams like Lebanon and Jordan as opposed to teams like Angola and Nigeria.

babdelkader
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
True. But they resemble more to teams like Lebanon and Jordan as opposed to teams like Angola and Nigeria.

yup ;)

congrats

interxavierxxx
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
you forgot Lebanon.

Yes. Another thing to take into account is the lack of talent that Asian teams produce in comparison to European teams. Right now, Jordan has no player who can match up with Papanikolaou or Bourousis. It's not that Asian doesn't produce talented players, they are just not ample enough to match the players in Europe.

OSHAFA
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
since you're mocking the others, what's your National Team then !?
a little respect to others, this is Asian Basketball Level.... No Comparison between Asia and Europe!
we did not expect the win nor a better result and we mentioned the reasons before......

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey guys, let's not read too much into this. Greece hit a lot of their outside shots. When Greece is hitting their 3's well - no one can beat them. Not Spain, not USA, nobody. The problem for Greece is that normally, they struggle to hit outside shots and have weakness against zone. Although without Diamantidis, I always find that Greece has way better ball movement and thus handles the zone better.

When Greece is hitting a lot of 3's, no one beats them, not even Team USA. Greece beat Canada by something like 120 - 47 because they were also having a good shooting game from outside.

So let's not just take this score too seriously. I don't think Greece is necessarily a plus 44 against Jordan in a realistic truth. Just like they were not realistically a +73 against Canada. Then again, Spanoulis barely even had the ball and was hardly even trying and they still scored 107. But I think Jordan just gave up early.

Both teams tried to conserve energy after that like 21-0 run Greece had.

On Wednesday, Puerto Rico will beat Greece. They look strong today, but against a weak Jordan team.

Everyone (well except USA) admits and knows that Puerto Rico has a very nice team and they are always tough. But how can you be so confident as this? Calm down man, and wait for the game. It should be a good game.

But I don't see any way that you can just flat out say Puerto Rico is beating Greece. You sound like those annoying NBA only fans that think a team's strength is solely based on how many NBA players it has.

I am not expecting any easy game for Greece, but come on, Puerto Rico has their hands full with Greece and they are the underdog.

Victorious
07-02-2012, 07:47 PM

The level of the world elites is extremely high. Greece has the potential to be part of that group, but they can only medal if their two missing centers (Sofo and Koufos) will be added to their team after they manage to qualify for the Olympics. At the medal stage you have to deal with quality big men inside.

The good thing is that this Greek team is rebuilding and has a young roster along with four veterans who are not that old either. So already playing at this level is good news.

Greece today showed their opponents that they can be lethal if they are allowed to shoot.

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
The level of the world elites is extremely high. Greece has the potential to be part of that group, but they can only medal if their two missing centers (Sofo and Koufos) will be added to their team after they manage to qualify for the Olympics. At the medal stage you have to deal with quality big men inside.

The good thing is that this Greek team is rebuilding and has a young roster along with four veterans who are not that old either. So already playing at this level is good news.

Greece today showed their opponents that they can be lethal if they are allowed to shoot.

Today Bramos played great, Mavroeidis had 15...we obviously can't expect that against the best teams if we qualify at the Olympics. However, you can see in this game that you guys are too hard on Mavroeidis. He is better on defense than both Sofo and Koufos. Sofo and Koufos and Bourousis is the best offensive center rotation on the planet, but it leaves a lot to be desired on defense.

tmlouk
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
since you're mocking the others, what's your National Team then !?
a little respect to others, this is Asian Basketball Level.... No Comparison between Asia and Europe!
we did not expect the win nor a better result and we mentioned the reasons before......

spain...but if i would live in estonia, poland, netherlands i would say the same...

adamosmaki
07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Today Bramos played great, Mavroeidis had 15...we obviously can't expect that against the best teams if we qualify at the Olympics. However, you can see in this game that you guys are too hard on Mavroeidis. He is better on defense than both Sofo and Koufos. Sofo and Koufos and Bourousis is the best offensive center rotation on the planet, but it leaves a lot to be desired on defense.

I agree about Mavroeidis we are been abit hard on him but Bramos played great ? He was bad today . Only in the last quarter he showed some good signs

Victorious
07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Sofo and Koufos and Bourousis is the best offensive center rotation on the planet, but it leaves a lot to be desired on defense.

It's one of the best center rotations. Not the best. It's a medal team rotation. And this is exactly my point. If Greece wants to medal, they need to be on the team. If they can't be on the team, we are going to have a good tournament and hope for the best. But in that case Zouros would have made a big mistake in not inviting Vouyoukias. Bourousis, Vouyoukas, Mavroidis would also do.

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 08:01 PM
It's one of the best center rotations. Not the best. It's a medal team rotation. And this is exactly my point. If Greece wants to medal, they need to be on the team. If they can't be on the team, we are going to have a good tournament and hope for the best. But in that case Zouros would have made a big mistake in not inviting Vouyoukias. Bourousis, Vouyoukas, Mavroidis would also do.

Which team has a better center rotation than Bourousis/Sofo/Koufos? I can't think of a single team.

Raze Lupin
07-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Greece is looking good! Hellas will be a dark horse in the Olympics.

saalsapr
07-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Ten posts and Im still waiting for you to contribute something to this forum other than spending them nuthugging our national team.

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I agree about Mavroeidis we are been abit hard on him but Bramos played great ? He was bad today . Only in the last quarter he showed some good signs

I meant great for his standards. If you understand me...

adamosmaki
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Ten posts and Im still waiting for you to contribute something to this forum other than spending them nuthugging our national team.

mochoso Puerto Rico its a good team and one of the 3 ( the other 2 DR and Fyrom with Venezuela been a dark horse ) that is most likely to pull an upset over Lithuania/Greece/Russia but saying with certainty you will beat Greece just because you have some players in the NBA shows arrogance on your behalf. Greece still has the edge but it will be a tough game. I'd say
60-40% for Greece to win ( PR always are giving us hard time though we do manage to win in the end by a small margin and hopefully history will repeat again )

Victorious
07-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Which team has a better center rotation than ? I can't think of a single team.

You made a claim that Bourousis/Sofo/Koufos is the best center rotation. While these are better:
Spain: Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Ibaka
USA: Chandler, Odom, Love
Argentina: Scola, Oberto, Guiterez

There are more which are just as good. Like Turkey.

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 08:33 PM
You made a claim that Bourousis/Sofo/Koufos is the best center rotation. While these are better:
Spain: Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Ibaka
USA: Chandler, Odom, Love
Argentina: Scola, Oberto, Guiterez

There are more which are just as good. Like Turkey.

Pau Gasol does not play center anymore. He plays at PF now for Spain. Argentina? No way. Oberto is ancient and he's retired and not playing. Scola is a zero on defense. The only one even in the discussion is the USA, and honestly, it's way too undersized to handle Greece's 3, if they went head to head.

So, in fact, if Greece has all three of their main centers, I think it's the best one in the world. Unless you want to assume that Kevin Love and Odom can guard those Greeks in the half court, which I don't think is happening. Kevin Love is smaller than Kavvadas is. And about Odom - how can you assume he can even play now? The last time we saw him on a basketball court, he was 100% done as a player.

fasoulaki
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Pau Gasol does not play center anymore. He plays at PF now for Spain. Argentina? No way. Oberto is ancient and he's retired and not playing. Scola is a zero on defense. The only once even in the discussion is the USA, and honestly, it's way too undersized to handle Greece's 3 if they went head to head.

So, in fact, if Greece has all three of their main centers, I think it's the best one in the world. Unless you want to assume that Kevin Love and Odom can guard those Greeks in the half court, which I think is not happening. Kevin Love is smaller than Kavvadas is.

Come on! Its late. Lets go to sleep.

turk-jugoslav
07-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Any Greek center cannot produce more than 10 points against Spaniard centers.Pau gasol can easily make 25 pts 10 Rbs against big and slow Greek centers.Spanish centers are so far better than any European yeam's centers.Pau Gasol has been dominating Fiba tournaments for last ten years.Greece can beat any European team except Spain because they have super-class guards and clever forwards like Fotsis,Printzesis.Sofo/Bourousis/Koufos trio is not strong as you mentioned

Olympiacos
07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Any Greek center cannot produce more than 10 points against Spaniard centers.Pau gasol can easily make 25 pts 10 Rbs against big and slow Greek centers.Spanish centers are so far better than any European yeam's centers.Pau Gasol has been dominating Fiba tournaments for last ten years.Greece can beat any European team except Spain because they have super-class guards and clever forwards like Fotsis,Printzesis.Sofo/Bourousis/Koufos trio is not strong as you mentioned

Pau Gasol does not play center anymore for Spain. All the minutes at center are handled now by Marc Gasol and Ibaka. Besides that, Pau Gasol struggled in last year's NBA playoffs. He was just OK at the last EuroBasket, as Navarro completely carried him the whole tournament. There was never any domination going on last summer from Pau. This year, in the NBA playoffs, Pau Gasol was nothing short of terrible.

When you guys rate teams and players, you have to at least know who is still playing, and what their current level is, and what position they now play at.

turk-jugoslav
07-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Pau Gasol does not play center anymore for Spain. All the minutes at center are handled now by Marc Gasol and Ibaka. Besides that, Pau Gasol struggled in last year's NBA playoffs. He was just OK at the last EuroBasket, as Navarro completely carried him the whole tournament. There was never any domination going on last summer from Pau. This year, in the NBA playoffs, Pau Gasol was nothing short of terrible.

When you guys rate teams and players, you have to at least know who is still playing, and what their current level is, and what position they now play at.

Maybe we are out of topic but I want to say that Pau Gasol is playing 4/5.He plays power forward when he is in court with his bro.Gasolless Spain is a quarter-final team.They were defeated by us in the last Eurobasket without Gasol.Ímer Aşık could fight Marc Gasol and I think Ímer beat him.If Gasol had played,they would have beaten us with big margin... Greek center rotation has same strength with Ímer Aşık/Enes Kanter/ Semih Erden. Greece has elite guard and it makes difference

Victorious
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe we are out of topic but I want to say that Pau Gasol is playing 4/5.He plays power forward when he is in court with his bro.Gasolless Spain is a quarter-final team.They were defeated by us in the last Eurobasket without Gasol.Ímer Aşık could fight Marc Gasol and I think Ímer beat him.If Gasol had played,they would have beaten us with big margin... Greek center rotation has same strength with Ímer Aşık/Enes Kanter/ Semih Erden. Greece has elite guard and it makes difference

I second that. And it doesn't really matter if Gasol is 4 or 5. It's the frontline as a whole that matters. And right now, Greece looks pretty good with Printezis, Kaimakoglou, Bourousis, Fotsis, Mavroidis, but they are going to fall short against some of the very best teams who have better frontlines and elite guards as well. Spain being one of them.

The fact that Spain is two levels lower without Pau says a lot of the importance of having a strong center.

JGX
07-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Now I'm even more sad that the Philippines didn't make it to this stage. They couldn't possibly have done worse than Jordan and they would have made the IBN discussions a lot more interesting.

mochoso
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Hey guys, let's not read too much into this. Greece hit a lot of their outside shots. When Greece is hitting their 3's well - no one can beat them. Not Spain, not USA, nobody. The problem for Greece is that normally, they struggle to hit outside shots and have weakness against zone. Although without Diamantidis, I always find that Greece has way better ball movement and thus handles the zone better.

When Greece is hitting a lot of 3's, no one beats them, not even Team USA. Greece beat Canada by something like 120 - 47 because they were also having a good shooting game from outside.

So let's not just take this score too seriously. I don't think Greece is necessarily a plus 44 against Jordan in a realistic truth. Just like they were not realistically a +73 against Canada. Then again, Spanoulis barely even had the ball and was hardly even trying and they still scored 107. But I think Jordan just gave up early.

Both teams tried to conserve energy after that like 21-0 run Greece had.

Everyone (well except USA) admits and knows that Puerto Rico has a very nice team and they are always tough. But how can you be so confident as this? Calm down man, and wait for the game. It should be a good game.

But I don't see any way that you can just flat out say Puerto Rico is beating Greece. You sound like those annoying NBA only fans that think a team's strength is solely based on how many NBA players it has.

I am not expecting any easy game for Greece, but come on, Puerto Rico has their hands full with Greece and they are the underdog.
l
Im telling PR is going to beat Greece by the fact that we may have the best 1-2 combo of the Tourney with Arroyo and Barea. This duo will drive other teams crazy and none can match their speed. But les see how we do in terms of foul trouble etc. That has been our downfall recently

Dtown
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Now I'm even more sad that the Philippines didn't make it to this stage. They couldn't possibly have done worse than Jordan and they would have made the IBN discussions a lot more interesting.

This is what I was thinking the entire game, even if they had gotten blown out we would have gotten a few days of good chat out of it. :)

J-Mart
07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Officially rooting for Smart Gilas for WBC 2014!

Psofimis
07-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWAxS-A58U

Interviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-0fVYD-IaY&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLzcFzpGpY&feature=context-chv

Lol at vasileiadis.''Puerto rico are playing dirty...ahem..I mean in a basketball way ahemm

sixama23
07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Talking tactically, is obvious that Zouros tries to use many elements from Olympiakos in the team. Fast pace and switching players on pick on roll defence are just two of these. It's quite logical because most of the team's players were playing for Olympiakos last year and Spanoulis is also the leader of both teams. But even players from other teams such as Bramos, Kalathes, Vasileiadis and Kaimakoglou fits very well with this playing style.

Defending pick n roll by switches requires defencive versatility. I think this is what Zouros had in mind when he cut Vougioukas and still has when he is using Kaimakoglou as a center.

Baldwin was right. Greece doesn't have much inside game but the playing style that Zouros wants to play, doesn't need that much inside game.

klakis
07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
l
Im telling PR is going to beat Greece by the fact that we may have the best 1-2 combo of the Tourney with Arroyo and Barea. This duo will drive other teams crazy and none can match their speed. But les see how we do in terms of foul trouble etc. That has been our downfall recently

Better than the guards of Greece?
Spanoulis,Calathes,Zisis???
I don`t know that well Barea but Arroyo is not better.

Tasos Peiraias
07-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Hmmm...No,my friend.History,papers and the game are with ous...You are the outsider
and you will try for the win.I believe that you wont manage to do very much:rolleyes:

Terrorizer
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Sofo and Koufos and Bourousis is the best offensive center rotation on the planet, but it leaves a lot to be desired on defense.
Why not in the history of basketball? Forget about Gasol bros duo with Fran Vazquez added, forget about Dwight Howard+Kevin Love+Andy Bynum - they can't match Greek epic centers. Also you all tend to forget that Pau has sucky play-off in 2012 averaging only marginal 12 ppg while mighty Koufos excelled in play-off with huge numbers of 0.7 ppg and 33.3% FGM.
Man, I understand that patriotism and loving your country and its national team is a good thing but you seriously need to stop writing megalomaniac bullshit if you don't want to loose all your credibility. In fact, even average national team like Australia has center rotation Bogut+Andersen+Maric+Jawai which definitely isn't worse than Sofo+Koufos+Bouroussis+Vougyoukas. Sofo is a great player who still is way too fat and slow and can play only limited time on the floor, Bouroussis is solid yet nothing to write home about and Koufos being athletic but so brainless sucks really hard anywhere he plays. That's not a dream center lineup, no way.

Victorious
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Better than the guards of Greece?
Spanoulis,Calathes,Zisis???
I don`t know that well Barea but Arroyo is not better.

Don't forget Mantzaris. He is the third guard of the EL champions. A great defender and he can potentially do a good job against Barea and Arroyo. Not to mention that he can rest Spanoulis, Calathes and Zisis. These four Greek guards have a lot of experience. Having won either the Euroleague, Eurobasket or both (Spanoulis).
Also, we shouldn't forget Bramos who is a great defender as well. He can be used to put some pressure on the Puerto Rican guards. So Greece has five guards to stop Barrea and Arroyo. I think that, if anything, Greece is the worst team for Puerto Rico in the tournament, because they have the tools to stop their greatest weapons.

The last time Greece played them though, Puerto Rico was hard to beat. But under Kazlauskas Greece was not that good defensively.

mochoso
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Greece guards cant match Barea/Arroyo duo. They can stop a few plays but they will get out of control when the dynamic duo starts their engine at full speed.. Cant wait for tomorrow

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Greece guards cant match Barea/Arroyo duo. They can stop a few plays but they will get out of control when the dynamic duo starts their engine at full speed.. Cant wait for tomorrow
that dynamic duo is the worst mistake PR basketball is doing, I cant wait for Barea to get injured. Then we might have a real chance to get to London.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
pretty funny how many of u dare to compare a scumbag like Spannoulis with Arroyo who had a pretty decent run during his prime in the NBA and Barea who's having a good career in the best league in the world.

Victorious
07-03-2012, 07:53 PM
pretty funny how many of u dare to compare a scumbag like Spannoulis with Arroyo who had a pretty decent run during his prime in the NBA and Barea who's having a good career in the best league in the world.

I wouldn't compare Spanoulis with Arroyo. Spanoulis is one of the best three guards in Europe. Along with Navarro and Diamantidis. Arroyo is simply a good player who plays for an average team like Besiktas. Top european teams wouldn't go for players like Arroyo.
Barea is good, but there are a lot of decent European guards in the NBA as well. Doesn't say much. You see, in Europe we don't look at guards the same way as in the Americas. In our glasses, Barea and Arroyo are good guards. They are good shooters and ball handlers, but they may lack something to win titles. For example, if Arroyo or Barrea would play for Olympiacos instead of Spanoulis last season, they most probably wouldn't have been European champions. Sure, at any moment Arroyo or Barrea may have a hell of a day and win the game, but in general they probably lack stability to direct a disciplined top European team. Or at least, they wouldn't be as good at it as players like Spanoulis and Navarro.

J-Mart
07-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I do know how basketball works in Europe, europeans doesnt know how basketball works for americans, that the issue I tried to make with that sarcastic post. The something he lack is a european passport. Cheers and have a great day kid.

Btwn Barea is not a PG.

Olympiacos
07-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Spanoulis is the best guard in Europe. Arroyo plays in Europe too, and he's not even really in the discussion for that.