PDA

View Full Version : Cologne in Euroleague-NBA games 10-11 Oct.

Kings
10-08-2006, 01:37 AM
http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/6752/nbaeuropelivenj7.png

October 10
CSKA 90 - Maccabi Elite 81 (http://www.cskabasket.com/gm/?a=boxscore&id=333&lang=en)
76ers 103 - Suns 100 (http://www.nba.com/games/20061010/PHXPHI/boxscore.html)

October 11
Suns 119 - Maccabi Elite 102 (http://www.nba.com/games/20061011/TELPHX/boxscore.html)
76ers 85 - CSKA 71 (http://www.nba.com/games/20061011/PHIMOS/boxscore.html)

DanMajerle
10-12-2006, 07:46 AM
I was in Cologne yesterday. Some impressions.

Maccabi: It was clearly visible they no more have any coolness of a championship team, but some young or inexperienced players. Will be a hard fight for them not to get blown out in Top 16. Best player was Jasaitis, who hit his shots, Green and Eliyahu were good too. Bynum has a nice drive to the basket but must learn to run the plays and pass the ball. Reminds me of Willie Solomon. Buford had made some nice fadeaway and three-point shots but then again hit two airballs. I think this inconsistency won't change much during the season. Vujcic was afraid to play in the post, he made some nice passes though, but not enough for the leader of the team. Rest of team was invisible.

CSKA: Wow, they really had a bad day on offense. So many free shots not falling. Defense was really good but on offense they were afraid to go under the basket as they were afraid to get blocked by Dalembert and from outside they hit nothing and also only exercised one play all the time, so it was easy for 76ers to get accustomed to this. Papaloukas got injured in first quarter and Messina played Poshakrov at point nearly the whole game. He was ok on defense but a black hole on offense, absolutely no danger and so the Sixers could play 5-4. Andersen, Van den Spiegel and Smodis were best at CSKA, rest was bad yesterday, without Papaloukas there was no creativity at all and Vanterpool really seems to get old.
Dalembert was best man on Sixers team. Iverson, as always when I watch him, had an awful game. He may have scored 25 points or so, but only two or three baskets were thanks to his own shot creation or wehatever. The rest he either missed, got the ball lucky from a long rebound or got foul calls. Well, the REFS. CLEARLY favouring NBA. CSKA was called about 10 times a moving block on offense and about five-six times travelling. Also, Iverson got free throws everytime he even touched the ball, it wasn't even funny.

The atmosphere was boooooring. I'm so happy I don't have to watch NBA games all the time, I would fall asleep all the time. Absolutely no crowd reaction, except from some silly dunks and stupid NBA Fan patrol, and clapping to these retarded NBA "Clap your hands" jingles.

robbe
10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I agree 100%. What is a spectacular slam dunk without any reaction from the crowd? Nothing.
I think both games lacked intensity, although the second game was slightly better than the first.

The ref's were a joke. The 2 US refs called moving screens on European teams about 20 times (both games together), while the FIBA-ref called mainly travelling violations.

DanMajerle
10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, exactly. At times it seemed they always whistled an offense foul when Moscow had the ball in attack and gave Philly the FT's when they were on offense. Especially the one offense foul by Philly, where the CSKA player was in position to take a charge for more than two seconds and the 76er player crashes into him and the CSKA player gets the foul was funny. I couldn't believe what I saw...
But one has to admit the 76ers were the better team yesterday, Moscow just was too weak at PG position.
It's funny, that fans in german NBA forums are excited about yesterdays's event. Once again, that shows that the different types of expectation and game reception NBA fans and european league's fans have.
I really cannot watch a basketball game without emotions and where rarely anyone seems to care who actually wins the game. I'm sure intensity isn't much higher during regular NBA season games, as there are just too many games. I don't want to see the show, I want to see a basketball GAME, a sportive competition, the desire of the players to compete for every ball possession.
If I want to see show and one-on-one skill demonstration, I can go to Harlem Globetrotters. But Kölnarena is you typical NBA arena, that explains why Stern loves it so much.
This clean, aseptic atmosphere where people are spectators instead of supporters. They want to be entertained by the players, just like in a circus and the arena's construction where there's so much distance between the rows supports that style of view. Just missed the Laptop for everyone and you could also have stayed at home, no live atmosphere at all.
But what the hell is a dunk's value when there is no intensity in the game and no one plays defense? When you didn't really work for the dunk, when there are no emotions?

Civilis
10-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Could not agree more with DanMajerle and robbe. NBA style lacks passion and is boring to watch....

I just love the intensity and devotion of international basketball. That's why we all are here in the INTERBASKET forum, btw :)

LuDux
10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
The atmosphere was boooooring. I'm so happy I don't have to watch NBA games all the time, I would fall asleep all the time. Absolutely no crowd reaction, except from some silly dunks and stupid NBA Fan patrol, and clapping to these retarded NBA "Clap your hands" jingles.

And I thought it was game betwean NBA team and EL team played in Europe with European audience...

DanMajerle
10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, but it was on neutral ground and most fans were NBA fans. It wasn't even like in Fance, where local hero Tony Parker was playing for the Spurs.

Much different from the 2004 games, where people were cheering for Italy and Germany vs the Team USA.

Civilis
10-12-2006, 08:31 PM
But, actually, LuDux has noticed a very good point here. I think the mass audience is very much the same everywhere you go - whether it is USA, Europe, Africa or Australia. A mass consumer is not educated in basketball, enjoys superficial thrills rather than some deep basketball tactics and strategy. In many West European countries due to the long lasting media influence basketball is = NBA, unfortunately...

I remember the manager of CSKA Kushchenko saying that even in Europe you have 15 per cent of people who come to see basketball and the rest 85 per cent come here for a show and good time. This percentage of hardcore basketball fans might be higher in the arenas like Zalgiris, Aris, Maccabi, maybe Cibona or Partizan, but the overall trend is... the stupidity of the mass market rulezzzzzzz.... :(

The only thing that saves European basketball club competition is that we have clubs from different countries and it adds extra political aspect so the players and fans fight more for the HONOUR of the club than the ones in the US. But even these things will tend to disappear with an increasing number of foreigners (esp. Americans) playing for the clubs.

If somebody disagrees with me, convince me that I'm wrong..

robbe
10-12-2006, 10:58 PM
@DanMajerle:
Yep, absolutely. The NBA refereeing didn't surprise me. If seen quite a lot games now, when a superstar like Iverson penetrates to the basket and causes contact, he'll get the call 9 out of 10 times. Same thing happened yesterday.
I've had the opportunity to watch 2 NBA-games live so far, and it wasn't any different from what I saw on wednesday. People arrive with 4:32 left in the first and leave their seat again at 8:19 in the second in order to get a pizza. No joke. The spectators in Cologne today were, as you said, pretty much the same. There were a few ooh's and aah's, but the only thing that brought the house down was the opportunity to win an xbox. The games' intensity was pretty much the same as it was yesterday.

@Crivilis:
Fortunately, it is very much different in the German Bundesliga. Doesn't differ too much from other european leagues (of course there are some - many - exceptions in Europe), it's quite loud and I'd say that the average German Bundesliga supporter is rather not a NBA fan. Of course the arenas are smaller there, mostly 3.000 to 5.000. There's no question basketball culture in Lithuania is less NBA-influenced and more souvereign than it is in Germany, but I'd doubt you'd have an arena packed with 20.000 basketball doctors.

Civilis
10-13-2006, 06:45 AM
@robbe

absolutely agree that even in basketball countries like Lithuania or Serbia it is impossible to pack large arenas with "basketball Ph.D." (:D nice expression!). I was very positively surprised by the nice atmosphere you had in Nuernberg arena when Zalgiris played there vs. Bamberg! Maybe the basketball culture will continue emerging in Germany and, hopefully, it will not follow American example.

Personally, I'd love that Euroleague draws on the UEFA Champions League format and general marketing focus. Is it only to me that the "Devotion" clip reminds me somehow of the video vignette of the Champions League (talking about the atmosphere)? :)

robbe
10-13-2006, 12:15 PM
It's funny: On two days in the Kölnarena, there were only 27.000 spectators, some of them had free entrance (schools, sports clubs etc. got some tickets). The arena has a capacity of 18.500. David Stern will have noticed this.
A few years ago, Telekom Baskets Bonn, a club that has one of the bigger fanbases in Germany, played a BBL-game in the Kölnarena (Bonn is only a few kilometres away) against ALBA Berlin and got a sellout crowd.

The ticket-prices on tuesday and wednesday were off the charts, or let's say: NBA-standard. 40 Euros for a seat in the last row of the upper level, where you need a spyglass to see anything, is quite a lot.

I agree with that hymn thing.:D