PDA

View Full Version : Who will defeat the United States Dream Team at the London Olympics?

Kings
01-28-2012, 01:13 AM
http://london2012.fiba.com/images/web/Events/12/_original/beijing.jpg

1936: 5W - 0L.
1948: 8W - 0L.
1952: 8W - 0L.
1956: 8W - 0L.
1960: 8W - 0L.
1964: 9W - 0L.
1968: 9W - 0L.
1972: 8W - 1L.
1976: 7W - 0L.
1984: 8W - 0L.
1988: 7W - 1L.
1992: 8W - 0L.
1996: 8W - 0L.
2000: 8W - 0L.
2004: 5W - 3L.
2008: 8W - 0L.

1972 Olympic Games

Aug 27 URS 51 - USA 50

Sergey Belov 20pts.

1988 Olympic Games

Sep 28 URS 82 - USA 76

Rimas Kurtinaitis 28pts.

2004 Olympic Games

Aug 15 Puerto Rico 92 - USA 73

Carlos Arroyo 24pts, 4reb, 7ast, 4stl.

Aug 21 Lithuania 94 - USA 90

Sarunas Jasikevicius 28pts, 4ast.

Aug 27 Argentina 89 - USA 81

Emanuel Ginobili 29pts, 3reb, 3ast.

saalsapr
01-28-2012, 03:27 PM
The UK no doubt. Their awesome team of whom I know nothing about will unexpectedly get a favorable result fueled by their hometown fans.:cool:

madmax
01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Spain (obvious candidate)
Serbia (if their threes are falling)
Lithuania (if they qualify and refs will call the game consistently for borh sides)
Argentina (maybe, or maybe they are too old already)
Brazil (can match USA athleticism wise and if they have a very good day)

well, that's about it

Dtown
01-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Legit shot
Spain: US will be the favorites, but it wouldn't be shocking if Spain beat them.

Possible if things fall their way
Argentina: If they have a great shooting day, and haven't over extended themselves the game before. They're getting up in age, and aren't nearly as deep as the US.

Brazil and Russia: Force the US into a half court game, rely on their physicality and tough Defense. They've both given the US trouble in the past, they've never been able to finish the job though.

Lithuania: Limit turnovers, survive ball pressure D. On a good shooting night they have the offensive weapons, but the last few times they've played them US guards have eviscerated Lithuania.

And that's about it. France is good, but they play the same style as the US, only not as well.

rocketstar47
01-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Serbia (if their threes are falling)

well, that's about it

Serbia has no quaified

Jon_Koncak
01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Lol at Lithuania or Argentina being candidates to beat Usa.Might as well add Tunisia then,you know if they hit all their shots and Usa miss theirs,they have a legit chance.Spain have about 10-20 % chances and that's it.Supposing ofcourse that no major player of them goes down and misses the tournament.They need to be in full strength in order to have a chance whereas Usa could field 12 new players and they'd still be favorites.

pohani komarac
01-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Great Argentina is aging without replacments for their stars:(

Not candidates for beating US, but Australia might be very good if they come with full roster (with Irving) and create good team play

madmax
01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Lol at Lithuania or Argentina being candidates to beat Usa.Might as well add Tunisia then,you know if they hit all their shots and Usa miss theirs,they have a legit chance.Spain have about 10-20 % chances and that's it.Supposing ofcourse that no major player of them goes down and misses the tournament.They need to be in full strength in order to have a chance whereas Usa could field 12 new players and they'd still be favorites.

LOL @ you acting like LTU and Argentina never beat mighty USA before...
All argies have to do is play smart basketball and execute their offense with crisp precision...the only question mark currently is their age, but you can never doubt their coach and general basketball IQ.
As for Lithuania, they beat USA before and and came very close few times too. They have enough shooters and super efficient players to outscore nayone on their day, the only question mark here is "Will the refs call the game consistently for both teams or not?"...but I guess this can be said for any team USA faces in FIBA competition.:rolleyes:

Dtown
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
While I'll defend Argentina and Lithuania, it's silly to think that because they won against the US eight years ago that it has anything to do with the current teams as they are now.

Straight forward
01-29-2012, 08:58 PM
It's pretty hard to expect too much competition for USA in Olympics 2012. Argentina is probably too old, Lithuania is rebuilding confidently, but not at the peak yet, Greece I doubt would be at the level of 2005-2006 even if they would add all their best players. Russia off course might be dangerous because of their size, athleticism and defence, but they never were offensive force and that's what you need to beat USA. Serbia won't even be there and I'm not a believer of France, at least when we talk about competing with USA. And the key moment is that USA will probably be stronger than 2000, 2004 and maybe even 2008 team.

So yes the only real competitor is Spain.

NorCal
01-30-2012, 07:18 AM
These are some obvious points but I think they need to be said..........the USA hasn't even had a chance to work together and practice yet. This team will probably have the majority of the 2008 core guys who seemed to play well together but you know, basketball is a funny sport and sometimes guys just won't 'gel' together. Also, the compacted NBA schedule could really tire our players by the time the Olympics roll around. Or one or two of them could get injured. Who knows. A lot of question marks six months out.

CKR13
01-30-2012, 07:54 AM
The compacted NBA Season may also have an adverse effect on Spain's Pau Gasol (LA Lakers), Marc Gasol (Memphis Grizzlies), Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves) and Jose Calderon (Toronto Raptors).

As of the moment, I don't picture Calderon and the Raptors making it to the post-season. While I expect the Lakers, Grizzlies and Timberwolves to make it.

The same could be said for the French as well.

By the time the NBA finals comes to a close, the eventual champions will be bruised and hurting all over.

Hithilome
01-30-2012, 11:15 AM
The compacted NBA Season may also have an adverse effect on Spain's Pau Gasol (LA Lakers), Marc Gasol (Memphis Grizzlies), Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves) and Jose Calderon (Toronto Raptors).

As of the moment, I don't picture Calderon and the Raptors making it to the post-season. While I expect the Lakers, Grizzlies and Timberwolves to make it.

By the time the NBA finals comes to a close, the eventual champions will be bruised and hurting all over.

And Rudy Fernandez with Denver Nuggets (probably making it to the post-season), and Serge Ibaka with OKC.

CKR13
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
And Rudy Fernandez with Denver Nuggets (probably making it to the post-season), and Serge Ibaka with OKC.

Indeed, I forgot about Fernandez and Ibaka. Both teams are prime candidates for the playoffs, especially the Thunder that are favored to come out of the western conference as champions.

Hithilome
01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Surprisingly all Spanish NBA players are playing at an acceptable high level, which is good for their careers and teams, but can be counterproductive for the Olympics. Nevermind, all Spaniards to the Playoffs! (Even Toronto!)

CKR13
01-31-2012, 05:08 AM
Kobe Bryant: You talking about London?
Gasol: Oh yeah.
Rubio: You’re gonna be there?
Bryant: Yeah.
Rubio: You know you’re getting the silver medal? You know that?
Bryant: [expletive]. I’m taking bets! [laughs] If I win, I get the keys of Barcelona.
Rubio: I bet what you want.
Bryant: I take it!

Video at: http://www.marca.com/tv/?v=IdaFvAQGzgf

Southpaw
01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I would not be surprise if USA lost to Spain but I doubt it. The thing that Spain has is interior defensive presence which is Ibaka and Marc Gasol that USA will respect. So basically USA has to make jumshots and transition baskets. If Spain can keep it close, that is their only chance of winning. I dunno if they have enough firepower but they got Navarro and Rudy who can ht tough shots. And Rubio is gaining confidence. We will see. Derrick Rose too is extending his range, Durant can pretty much shoot against anyone. Aldridge and Bosh can step out and hit shots too.

rikhardur
01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
o5Th4UJiUbQ

ESPARTACO
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
If our federation prez can get FIBA to allow Mirotic on the roster, then anything´s possible, in 2008 we were on the verge of beating a full USA team, and by then we didn´t have Ibaka, Mirotic or LLul, and Marc Gasol and Ricky Rubio weren´t half the players they´re this year...

Anyway this is our last realistic chance of winning a full USA, team as far as Gasol,Navarro, Calderon...will be retired by 2014 I guess.

This is a foreseeable roster in case we get Mirotic on board

- Calderon
- Ricky
- Llul

- Navarro
- Rudy
- Claver/Suarez
- San Emeterio

- Mirotic
- Ibaka
- P.Gasol
- M.Gasol
- Felipe Reyes

Shawshank
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
If Usa bringing what they said they are nobody can came even close in beating them this year.I thought that in 2010 teams had chances beating usa,this year and what they are sending sorry it wont happen.

In historical point of view we lithuanians are one way or other involve in 3 looses of 5 to Usa...one time we beat them (2004) in 1988 four leaders of SSSR from lithuania (sabonis,marciuliuonis,kurtinaitis,chomicius) beat them, in 1972 sssr team had starting player paulauskas in there.I dont even want to remember 2000 semifinal lithuania-usa...Nobody said in those years too that we or anybody other has chances against usa...But when they are bringing 7-8 best players in the world from 10 ofcourse they gonna destroy the tournament...When usa are taking seriuosly they are just too good not to win it...

neo
02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
usa 2012 ought to be better than the 2008 redeem team. spain should also be better than their 2008 team. but i still think spain has very slim chance of beating team usa. but spain sure have the best chance among the other teams.

Raze Lupin
02-24-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CKR13

Great point Some of team USA top competitors will also be effected by the compressed NBA season.

There is also Nene (Nuggets) Tiago Splitter (Spurs) Anderson Varejao (Cavs) Brazil who could all go to the playoffs. Mosgov (Nuggets) Russia Joakim Noah (Bulls)

Raze Lupin
02-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Like many have said I think the obvious teams that will beat USA is:

1.Spain
2.Brazil
3.Russia
4.France
5.Lietuva
6.Argentina

If USA has key injuries then things could get interesting.

CKR13
03-11-2012, 11:20 AM
o5Th4UJiUbQ

ACL. How ironic.

Bosnian 23
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Now that Ricky Rubio has shown just how good he can be on the greatest stage, the NBA, I will favor Spain over USA at the Olympics. Does that mean I THINK they will win? No, I will only root for them. I mean, I love the big guys down low in Pau and Marc Gasol, and they will surely have plenty of chemistry, not just as brothers, but from Eurobasket 2011 as well. Plus, you have the team facilitator in Ricky Rubio and you have a great team.

CKR13
03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Will Fernandez recover in time for the Olympics?

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/fernandez_surgery_03_22_2012.html

JRS Bonnet
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
The only team with a remote chance of beating the United States is France. Their starting lineup is impressive and their bench is loaded with well-establish or very promising players. France’s final roster will probably be:
Starting five:
PG Tony Parker ‒ San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
SG Mickaël Gelabale ‒ Khimki Moscow
SF Nicolas Batum ‒Portland Trail Blazers (NBA)
PF Boris Diaw ‒ San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
C Joakim Noah ‒ Chicago Bulls (NBA)

Bench:
PG: Rodrigue Beaubois ‒ Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
PG/SG: Yannick Bokolo ‒ BCM Gravelines (PRO A: French league)
PG/SG: Nando de Colo ‒ Valencia Basket (ACB: Spanish league)
SG/SF: Evan Fournier ‒ Poitiers Basket (PRO A)
PF: Ali Traore ‒ Lokomotiv Kuban (PBL: Russian league)
PF/C: Kevin Seraphin ‒ Washington Wizards (NBA)
C: Ian Mahinmi ‒ Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

CKR13
04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
How do you see the chances of Mickael Pietrus (Boston Celtics) playing for the national team? He has been playing just this week after recovering from a concussion.

madmax
04-13-2012, 10:19 AM
France is like inferior european version of Team USA, just with less basketball IQ and worse performers...sorry, but you can't beat americans at their own game - it's just ain't happening. Only smart european teams with elite coaches can do that. That leaves us with Spain and maybe Russia if their shots are falling...

durden_tyler
04-13-2012, 10:29 AM
The only team with a remote chance of beating the United States is France. Their starting lineup is impressive and their bench is loaded with well-establish or very promising players. France’s final roster will probably be:
Starting five:
PG Tony Parker ‒ San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
SG Mickaël Gelabale ‒ Khimki Moscow
SF Nicolas Batum ‒Portland Trail Blazers (NBA)
PF Boris Diaw ‒ San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
C Joakim Noah ‒ Chicago Bulls (NBA)

Bench:
PG: Rodrigue Beaubois ‒ Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
PG/SG: Yannick Bokolo ‒ BCM Gravelines (PRO A: French league)
PG/SG: Nando de Colo ‒ Valencia Basket (ACB: Spanish league)
SG/SF: Evan Fournier ‒ Poitiers Basket (PRO A)
PF: Ali Traore ‒ Lokomotiv Kuban (PBL: Russian league)
PF/C: Kevin Seraphin ‒ Washington Wizards (NBA)
C: Ian Mahinmi ‒ Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

Diaw is still a starter even though he's so fat these days? And that is a rather slowww frontline Diaw and Noah.

JRS Bonnet
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Mickaël Piétrus last represented France in 2006 (FIBA World Championship ‒ Japan). His performance there was very poor: 5.4 points, 2.9 rebounds and an unbelievably bad 24.2 FG percentage. His suspect outside shooting will cost in a place in the French Olympic team.
Boris Diaw’s versatility is highly prized by Vincent Collet, the French national coach. Ali Traore (Eurocup stats: 15.3 points, 7.1 rebounds) and Kevin Seraphin (interesting sophomore season with the Wizards) though not starting will see significant playing time at the PF and C positions.

NorCal
05-01-2012, 08:48 PM
If our federation prez can get FIBA to allow Mirotic on the roster, then anything´s possible, in 2008 we were on the verge of beating a full USA team, and by then we didn´t have Ibaka, Mirotic or LLul, and Marc Gasol and Ricky Rubio weren´t half the players they´re this year...

Anyway this is our last realistic chance of winning a full USA, team as far as Gasol,Navarro, Calderon...will be retired by 2014 I guess.

This is a foreseeable roster in case we get Mirotic on board

- Calderon
- Ricky
- Llul

- Navarro
- Rudy
- Claver/Suarez
- San Emeterio

- Mirotic
- Ibaka
- P.Gasol
- M.Gasol
- Felipe Reyes

Two questions- does anyone know how Rudy's recovery is coming along? I haven't read anything. Also, in regards to Gasol, Navarro and Calderon retiring, don't you think they would play in 2014 since it will be in Spain? I can't imagine Spain leaving these guys off the roster (especially Gasol and Navarro) even if their roles aren't the same by the time 2014 comes around.

Straight forward
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Two questions- does anyone know how Rudy's recovery is coming along? I haven't read anything. Also, in regards to Gasol, Navarro and Calderon retiring, don't you think they would play in 2014 since it will be in Spain? I can't imagine Spain leaving these guys off the roster (especially Gasol and Navarro) even if their roles aren't the same by the time 2014 comes around.

I have a feeling both Dirk and Pau will skip Eurobasket 2013, after that maybe they could take a last shot in WC 2014. Jus thinking. They are not interested in winning another European trophy after 2009 and 2011, IMO :p

cardenales
05-31-2012, 05:45 AM
You might think im crazy, but Puerto Rico if they make it to the Olympics (I hope they do), can beat USA. If you check history, Puerto Rico is one of the countries that really gave USA a hard time, Happen in 1968, 1976 olimpics and finally their win in the 2004 olimpics. Same thing in other tournaments, 1986 World Cups, were close. Victories in 1989 America's qualifier, 1990 World Cup, 1991 Pan Am Games, 1998 Goodwill Games, 2003 Pan Am Games twice in the tournament. See historically we gave them a hard time and probably we can be in the top five teams that have beat the USA most times. Probably behind USSR and Yugoslavia. Puerto Rico could have a good team for the qualifier. Im not saying PR is better team than USA but that can beat them in one game can happen.

Shawshank
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
You might think im crazy, but Puerto Rico if they make it to the Olympics (I hope they do), can beat USA. If you check history, Puerto Rico is one of the countries that really gave USA a hard time, Happen in 1968, 1976 olimpics and finally their win in the 2004 olimpics. Same thing in other tournaments, 1986 World Cups, were close. Victories in 1989 America's qualifier, 1990 World Cup, 1991 Pan Am Games, 1998 Goodwill Games, 2003 Pan Am Games twice in the tournament. See historically we gave them a hard time and probably we can be in the top five teams that have beat the USA most times. Probably behind USSR and Yugoslavia. Puerto Rico could have a good team for the qualifier. Im not saying PR is better team than USA but that can beat them in one game can happen.

I agree with statement,that puerturico is one of those team,that in one game can beat anyone.But in the serries or in long tournament they never have good results,because they dont have stability in their game.Firstly puerturico will have hard time to qualife for olimpics.But the worst news is we Lithuanians will have to face Puerturico most likely in 1/4 QF...and this gonna be tricky games for us,if it would be serries until 3 wins,i wouldnt doubt my team winning it,but one game and those barea arrojo unpredictable game its always dangerous...
Even if you manage beat Lithuanian,then uerturico will have to beat also Macadonia/Greece i dont see that happening that streetball game can beat 2 very organized european teams.One yes its sport...

Raze Lupin
06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
These are the teams I think can beat USA. USA front court is vulnerable. Therefore teams like Spain, Brazil, Russia and France have a good chance.

Europe: Spain, Russia, France Lietuva

Americas: Brazil, Argentina

Straight forward
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Usa is the most talented basketball country in the world. No doubt about it. But I think a lot will depend on how FIBA will hold the tournament this time. Maybe it even deserves another thread, but the deferences between 2004 and 2008 Olympics was obvious. The last tournament was very "friendly" for USA and basically FIBA made an environment for NBA (USA) players. Like it wouldn't be enough this rule was offered only for USA players. Particulary travelling rule (and that's the key for up tempo USA style) and stealing judgment (another key for the fast brakes). No other teams were allowed to make 2/2,5 steps before the dribble and no ather team could use the same pressure and effort to steal the ball (for some teams it was violation for USA the legitimate effort). And even overall physical effort had two dimentiosn in that tournament - what is allowed for USA and for others. I'm not saying this was a decisive moment, but that really influenced USA domination. So a lot will depend on what fashion - 2004 or 2008- the Olympic tournament will be held.

Video examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__b94XN1dA

Raze Lupin
06-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Usa is the most talented basketball country in the world. No doubt about it. But I think a lot will depend on how FIBA will hold the tournament this time. Maybe it even deserves another thread, but the deferences between 2004 and 2008 Olympics was obvious. The last tournament was very "friendly" for USA and basically FIBA made an environment for NBA (USA) players. Like it wouldn't be enough this rule was offered only for USA players. Particulary travelling rule (and that's the key for up tempo USA style) and stealing judgment (another key for the fast brakes). No other teams were allowed to make 2/2,5 steps before the dribble and no ather team could use the same pressure and effort to steal the ball (for some teams it was violation for USA the legitimate effort). And even overall physical effort had two dimentiosn in that tournament - what is allowed for USA and for others. I'm not saying this was a decisive moment, but that really influenced USA domination. So a lot will depend on what fashion - 2004 or 2008- the Olympic tournament will be held.

I've seen these videos over the past years and although its true. What you rarely or never see is this on other teams. They'll never show the video of Spain's non called violations during the 2008 gold medal game or any other country they traveled a lot in that game. What about Spain last year during Eurobasket. They were throwing other countries around and not many fouls were given. I remember watching Goran Dragic play for SLO and it seemed he was carrying and traveling at times. The forums never erupted in complaints against Slovenia. It seems there are many inconsistencies in FIBA international competitions yet its always the Americans who get talked about the most. Why is that?

cardenales
06-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I agree with you Shawshank, but still, olympics are a short tournament and if PR make it, and face USA in one game, we can beat them. Winning the tournament, is a different story because of the points that you said, which are true.

Johnny Garcia
06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
I hope we send the best possible team because Spain and France are going to be good.

Who are you betting to win it all this year? Yes we, USA are the favorites but if you had to put money on it which one has the chance of upsetting them?

Thanks

jiggawhat
06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Turkey has Omer Asik, Enes Kanter, Ersan Illysova, and Hedo Turkoglu. Better front court than most of other European countries can offer. Only thing they are missing is a point guard but Turkoglu can play point forward.

Johnny Garcia
06-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Turkey has Omer Asik, Enes Kanter, Ersan Illysova, and Hedo Turkoglu. Better front court than most of other European countries can offer. Only thing they are missing is a point guard but Turkoglu can play point forward.

no star player though thats why theyll struggle again

Jon_Koncak
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Poor S.F. still havin nightmares of Iguodala stealin ball of Kleizas' hands time and time again and still blamin it on the refs.Because you know,it's obvious that the only reason Usa players can apply this kind of defensive pressure is refs tolerance.Take refs bias aside and Wade,Lebron or Westbrook are on the same level defensively as Mazutis,Jasikevicius and Siskauskas.

Olympiacos
06-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Poor S.F. still havin nightmares of Iguodala stealin ball of Kleizas' hands time and time again and still blamin it on the refs.Because you know,it's obvious that the only reason Usa players can apply this kind of defensive pressure is refs tolerance.Take refs bias aside and Wade,Lebron or Westbrook are on the same level defensively as Mazutis,Jasikevicius and Siskauskas.

You did not watch that game.

Besides that, look at the NBA playoffs. Wade? Average defender in man defense. Good at help defense though. He can be very good in man defense when he wants to be, but most of the time he is not moving laterally. LeBron? Great defender, I won't argue. Westbrook? He never plays defense in an entire game.

yessuz
06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Lithuania. We have Sabonis On court :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nPmuOI456jA

Raze Lupin
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Lithuania. We have Sabonis On court :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nPmuOI456jA

WOW Sabonis is amazing. He still has his instincts! I love that guy.

To answer the question is simple. Spain, Brazil, Russia, are the top teams. After that it is France, Greece and Lietuva. Those top 3 teams have great front-court depth. USA has a weak front-court.