Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WBC expanding to 24 teams in 2006- Who will be the teams in your opinion? (recovered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC expanding to 24 teams in 2006- Who will be the teams in your opinion? (recovered)

WBC expanding to 24 teams in 2006 - Who will be the teams in your opinion?

BBallfanJ
    07-25-2004, 10:21 AM

As rumored, the 2006 World Basketball Championships in Japan will feature an expanded field of 24 teams. Here's how the distribution of teams breaks down:
    Europe - 6 teams
    Americas - 5 teams
    Asia - 3 teams
    Africa - 3 teams
    Oceania - 2 teams
    invitees - 5 teams

So who do you think will qualify? Here's my predictions:
    Europe: Serbia, Lithuania, Turkey, Spain, Russia, Germany
    Americas: U.S.A., Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico
    Asia: Japan (host team), China, South Korea
    Africa: Angola, Algeria, Nigeria
    Oceania: Australia, New Zealand
    invitees: France, Italy, Mexico, Phillipines, Venezuala
    mvblair
    07-25-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by BBallfanJ
    As rumored, the 2006 World Basketball Championships in Japan will feature an expanded field of 24 teams.

That's fantastic news!! Personally, I think that the bigger the tournament, the more chance of finding the best team.

It's still 2 years in the future, but here are my predictions:

Europe - Lithuania, Serbia & Montenegro, Spain, Italy, Russia, Greece

Americas - USA, Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Canada

Asia - China, Lebanon, Iran

Africa - Algeria, Angola, Egypt

Oceania - Australia, New Zealand

invitees - Japan (I think they will be considered an automatic invitee), Venezuela, Germany, Turkey, Phillipines

I think that the top teams will still be the US, S&M, Lithuania, Argentina, and in 2 years perhaps China and Brazil.

Matt
    Federoy
    07-25-2004, 02:34 PM

Europe- France, Serbia & Montenegro, Turkey, Lithuania, Spain, Russia

Asia- China, South Korea, Japan

Africa- Angola, Senegal, Algeria

Oceania- New Zealand, Australia (is there anyone else in Oceania? :^) )

Americas- USA, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela

Invitees- Canada, Italy, Dominican Rep., Lebanon, Germany
    K-2 Young
    07-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Europe- Lithuania, Serbia and Montenegro, France, Germany, Spain, Rusia

America- USA, Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic

Asia- China, South Korea, Lebanon

Africa- Angola, Nigeria, Algeria

Oceania- ( Not sure, this one is hard ) New Zealand and Australia

Invites- Japan ( host ), Turkey, Venezuela, Canada, Greece
    K-2 Young
    07-25-2004, 03:00 PM

Well- to my understanding, Steve Nash wont play with Canada anymore, that is why I dont think they will clasiffy, if he plays, put Canada in, Dominican Republic out and the invite instead of Canada would be Grecce

Juan Carlos Nadal
    07-25-2004, 03:02 PM

Euro: Lith, SCG, Fra, Spa, Gre (of course), Rus
    Americas: Arg, Braz, US, Venez, PR
    Ocean: Aus, Fiji (j/k) NZ
    Africa: Ang, Seneg, Nig
    Asia: Jap, Chi, SK

Inv: Cheez, whatever. Say, Ita, VirI, C'roon, Leb.
    worldbasketball
    07-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Now that we have 24 teams, what we really need is to make it something like the Mondiale (the World Cup) of Soccer.

With many more teams around, more people will be included and hopefully games will be followed with much more interest.
    Matiz
    07-25-2004, 03:29 PM

I heard that there won't be 5 invitees, but there will be a qualification for WC...

Europe (6+3 imo):
    Serbia, Lithuania, Spain, France, Russia, Italy + Slovenia, Croatia, Germany

America (5+1):
    Brazil, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Canada, US +Venezuela

Oceania (2):
    Australia, New Zeland

... I'd prefer Oceania would have 1 guaranteed spot, while the second team coming off the qualifications, since if they'd have guaranteed 2 spots Aus and NZ would be a lock...

Africa (3):
    Nigeria, Angola, ?

Asia (3):
    China, Japan, ?,

+1 add one team somewhere
    worldbasketball
    07-25-2004, 03:39 PM

Eventually Asia and Africa will have more teams in World Championship.

Perhaps now they don't have the depth of teams, but eventually they will. Europe and Latin America will have to concede one of those days.

Or we may even have a 32 team world championship.

And why not. As basketball catches on in Asia, Asia may become the next hotbed of basketball actually.
    Federoy
    07-25-2004, 03:49 PM

"Now that we have 24 teams, what we really need is to make it something like the Mondiale (the World Cup) of Soccer.

With many more teams around, more people will be included and hopefully games will be followed with much more interest."

I agree. FIBA and other basketball organizations should put all of their energy into promoting the sport. The problem with international basketball is that their aren't enough quality teams to compete against each other, so as a result, we get the same countries qualifying for the Olympics or World Championships year after year. I want to see new countries emerge, like Sweden, Paraguay, or South Africa. Right now, football (soccer) is years ahead of basketball in terms of parity.
    worldbasketball
    07-25-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Federoy
    "Now that we have 24 teams, what we really need is to make it something like the Mondiale (the World Cup) of Soccer.

With many more teams around, more people will be included and hopefully games will be followed with much more interest."

I agree. FIBA and other basketball organizations should put all of their energy into promoting the sport. The problem with international basketball is that their aren't enough quality teams to compete against each other, so as a result, we get the same countries qualifying for the Olympics or World Championships year after year. I want to see new countries emerge, like Sweden, Paraguay, or South Africa. Right now, football (soccer) is years ahead of basketball in terms of parity.

And you know Federoy? It is much easier to come up with a basketball program that can in a matter of a few years make a world class team. I am talking about countries who preently have only "nominal" basketball going around.

Soccer is not that easy. Some countries may have had a soccer program running for ages, but you know what, they will likely never ever make it?

If only they had put half or quarter the effort into a national basketball program instead, they would have reached places by now.

Lebanon is a fine example. A country of 4 million, in just 7-8 years of consistent basketball programming, it was able to reach a national team to the Final 16 in Indianapolis 2002 World Championship alongside China. Just two Asian teams: China and Lebanon. Lebanon in 2001-2002 season finished second overall in the whole of Asia. Amazing if you come to think of it. This is not to boast or anything, but where are teams like India or Pakistan or Indonesia in the picture. You know what? They can make quintessentially 10 times better teams than Lebanon can, with the amount of population and talent that they have. But yet probably they never try hard enough to put together a basketball program as a sport priority and collect let's say 300-400 real good players, the best they have and make a world impact let us say in the next 5-10 years equal to anything Europe has to offer. Scouting, early detection of good potential players, a few good coaches, coordinating with the school sports programs and there you have it. But yet surprisingly they don't.

Even at club level, the Lebanese excel in organization. The Lebanese Sagesse (Al Hekmeh) club got the Asian Club Championship three times in the last 6 years (1999, 2000 and 2004). There is no Asian club team that has ever won it 3 times including your best Philippines, Korea and China teams. And who are the other Asian champions? Al Ittihad (Saudi Arabia) in 2001, Al Rayyan Qatar (the club of an even smaller country than ours) in 2002 and last year 2003 Al Wehda of Syria. These are small countries in comparison, but with huge basketball commitments. Proves investment in basketball pays well.

Now if you ask me what are the chances of Lebanese Soccer to make it to the World Cup in the next 20 years (add previous 60 years since independence) , you know what I'd say ? Chances of making to the World Cup Finals is 0.01% at most!!!

Countries just put their efforts in the wrong place I say. Spend on basketball and see results reasonably very quickly.
    Last edited by stuart; 05-05-2006, 09:40 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

akis71
    07-27-2004, 04:10 PM

I really find it amazing that there can be teams in a World Championship that won't qualify but will be invited. What kind of competition is that?

I also think it is too stupid to try to predict which team will be there. In some areas situation is pretty clear but trying to predict which teams can will be from europe is a joke. Lithuania for example won eurobasket a year after World Championships that did not even qualify to it.

I also believe it is stupid and too bad for basketball to get specific number of teams from each area. Of course each area should have at least one participant (the winner of previous year area competition) but all the rest teams should be qualified taking part in global qualification games. Why to have 3 african team for example when even the 15th european team can beat each one of them by 20pts?

Also it is really a joke believing that the increasing of teams will increase basketball popularity and of course cant even reach football's popularity. To increase basketball popularity you need quality games and mostly great organisation. FIBA couldnt even stop ULEB from creating euroleague and ULEB Cup while G14 (the ULEB of football) cant even think of doing such thing. Just to realize the difference of FIBA and FIFA just count how many players refused to join USA team at Olympics. At football when a player refused an invitation even for a friendly is punished and misses games of domestic league or international games with his club.
    worldbasketball
    07-27-2004, 05:20 PM

Akis says:
    "Why to have 3 african team for example when even the 15th european team can beat each one of them by 20pts?"
    But in defense, Akis, I insist on a minimum number set for Africa or Asia. And an increasing number. Obligatorily.

European teams can always compete in their European Competitions and produce all the "quality play" you want. They are still there. Do two championships a year for all I care. No need to hijack the World like that.

If we apply your logic akis, we may end up with what I call an all European World Championship. Many Latin American teams won't qualify either. Out of 24, we will have 18 from Europe, 3 from the Americas (North and South), one form Africa (always Angola), one from Asia (always China) and one from Oceania (always Australia). Some WORLD game!! I mean what INCENTIVE is left for any country actually to develop sport, any sport for that matter?

Even FIFA that you praise doesn't conduct World Qualifications for soccer but clearly continental qualifications. It has also increased the quota of Asia and Africa regardless and this has given great results with a bigger number of countries warming up for soccer.

Sure any European basketball team can beat any African team. Hands down. One European player's salary (say a million dollars) may be more than an African or Asian country's annual basketball budget!!! When compared to the net worth of Team USA, it becomes ridiculously unbelievable. One year's salary of the collective American basketballers in Athens is probably enough to scrap starvation in the whole of Africa!

It doesn't mean Africa must be excluded except for top Angola let's say.

The only way we are going to achieve propagating of sports is through positive discrimination. We like it or not, Asia and Africa will dominate more and more based on sheer numbers.

If we insists only on current contemporray quality as exists for the moment, we are perpetuatiing the staus quo and killing all programs in lesser priviledged countries.

In a social context, that would be called Eurocentric thinking, a remnant of old colonialistic thinking some may add.
    akis71
    07-27-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by worldbasketball

European teams can always compete in their European Competitions and produce all the "quality play" you want. They are still there. Do two championships a year for all I care. No need to hijack the World like that.

If we apply your logic akis, we may end up with what I call an all European World Championship. Many Latin American teams won't qualify either. Out of 24, we will have 18 from Europe, 3 from the Americas (North and South), one form Africa (always Angola), one from Asia (always China) and one from Oceania (always Australia). Some WORLD game!! I mean what INCENTIVE is left for any country actually to develop sport, any sport for that matter?

Even FIFA that you praise doesn't conduct World Qualifications for soccer but clearly continental qualifications. It has also increased the quota of Asia and Africa regardless and this has given great results with a bigger number of countries warming up for soccer.
    First of all I never said FIFA is right having such qualification procedure but still it is a quite fair procedure. Even if the qualification was global we would have around same teams from each region, maybe asia would have 1-2 teams less and europe, africa or latin america 1 more.

Also there wouldnt be 18 teams from europe for sure. USA, Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Canada makes 5 from America not just 3. Also one more spot probably would have Oceania. Such competitions should be for the best teams in world. Set region criteria is like saying that in next eurobasket should take part 3 teams from balkans, 1 from baltic countries, 1 from scandinavia, 1 from Bristish islands, 2 from south europe etc..

Besides that giving the opportunity to african or asian countries to compete european and american teams will increase their quality. Would Turkish or Isreali basketball be same if they were competing to Asian competitions and not European?

The biggest proof you see it in NBA. Since 1992 when first USA team of NBA came just few european players have played to NBA maybe less than 10. How many are there now? Same will happen when african and asian teams will be forced to compete european and american teams. Their best players will get shots in european leagues or NBA when now just very few get such opportunities and the level of basketball will be increased in those areas.
    worldbasketball
    07-27-2004, 10:27 PM

It is a good point that you make akis that improvement of basketball will come with more contact. That is when put in a more competetive situation, like forced to play American or European teams, you would find Asian and African teams are getting better and better. I like that idea.

But it is easier said then done though.

True. It is a very valid point that if Israel or Turkey had stayed in the Asian sphere, they would not be as developed in basketball or soccer for that matter. They would gradually readapt to an "easier" competition level and become like the rest of Asia. That's very true.

This is a fascinating idea though. But how can you do inter-continental leagues in which teams from various continents play on a regular basis?
    BBallfanJ
    08-20-2005, 05:09 PM

Well, the two "locks" are in. Australia and New Zealand qualified today, with the Aussies taking gold in the Oceania championships and NZ getting silver. The African championships are going on right now. It looks like Algeria lost to Mali today and Senegal won their game. Senegal might qualify or get in with a WC birth. It sounds like they've got some decent prospects coming up.
    Lietuvis
    08-20-2005, 05:25 PM

Is not the Oceana a joke? 2 team that compete but still both make it? Look at europe where many teams compete to have a chance at it but Australia and new Zeland just play each other?? Maybe they should be part of Asian league???
    BBallfanJ
    08-20-2005, 06:08 PM

Well, technically there are other teams in Oceania, but they're so small and disorganized that you're right, it is a joke. I've thought the same as you that it would be good if the Asia and Oceania zones could merge, then these two teams would get some real competition just to qualify.
    worldbasketball
    08-20-2005, 06:20 PM

In soccer there is such an arrangement as well. One of the places is decided after an Asia quaifier meets an Oceania qualifier.

Even geographically, there is some validity in calling this setup as Australasia (Australia and Asia)
    wardjdim
    08-20-2005, 10:11 PM

Greece has been the 1st country to receive a wild card
    kestas
    08-21-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by worldbasketball
    One year's salary of the collective American basketballers in Athens is probably enough to scrap starvation in the whole of Africa!
    hmm...
    no. by far.

regarding the system.. I think European representatives in FIBA must fight "to the death" against any plans to reduce European participation in World Championships. I know that American FIBA representatives have workd hard to do that (I've been posting about such plans on these boards, but now I'm lazy to look for that post for details ). Europe must dominate the Worlds at all costs. untill, of course, there is a substantial number of high level teams elswhere..
    btw, imho African countries will not develop more if they get a chance to play a few better games once in two years.. if they want to be in the worlds, let them win in the Africans. and when African (and Asian for that matter) champions will at least get a semifinal result in the worlds or Olympic games, maybe then we will be talking.. right now they have to be gratefull they've got those spots.

k
    BBallfanJ
    08-21-2005, 05:30 AM

Now how does Greece receive a wild card into WBC before the Euro championships even happen? Does it have to do with past performance in world tournaments?

Matiz
    08-21-2005, 05:54 AM

Now how does Greece receive a wild card into WBC before the Euro championships even happen? Does it have to do with past performance in world tournaments?
    Fiba's vice-president is greek...
    although I don't believe Greece already received an invitation...

LewDux
    08-21-2005, 07:45 AM

Greece is #7 (without U21 WC results?) in FIBA ranking among european countries.

Here's what top24 concists of:
    11 from Europe
    6 from Americas
    3 from Asia
    2 from Oceania
    2 from Afrika
    wardjdim
    08-21-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Matiz
    Fiba's vice-president is greek...
    although I don't believe Greece already received an invitation...
    actually they have...
    40 days ago

wardjdim
    08-21-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by LewDux
    Greece is #7 (without U21 WC results?) in FIBA ranking among european countries.

11 from Europe
    6 from Americas
    3 from Asia
    2 from Oceania
    2 from Afrika
    all the 11 best euro teams (Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Spain, Greece, Russia, Lithuania, Germany, France, Turkey) should be invited...

K-2 Young
    08-21-2005, 11:57 AM

BREAKING NEWS
    Puerto Rico will not qualify.
    would you invite them?
    Nikoo
    08-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Why .

Yes, Puerto Rico will be invited
    kestas
    08-21-2005, 01:18 PM

btw, I've just realised they've actually changed the system for 2006 and it sucks.
    now those who deserve it (Europeans, coz others have more than enough in that system) will have to fight for the wild cards as if they were some sort of begars or something.
    disgusting.

FIBA is a pile of s h i t and this pile is growing.

k

p.s.: ok, ok, maybe it's not so bad, but knowing what kind of archaic and corrupt structure FIBA is, there are simply too many wild cards imho. maybe two or three would be enough. or maybe it will work out for the better. I got confused . let's wait and see.
    goodnight.
    BBallfanJ
    08-21-2005, 01:34 PM

I was on the new site for the 2006 Worlds today and here is how they broke it down.

6 from Europe
    5 from Americas
    3 from Asia (not counting Japan)
    3 from Africa
    2 from Oceania
    1 host (Japan)
    4 invitees

Virtuoso
    08-21-2005, 01:42 PM

4 invitees
    The "invitees" should be reduced to 2 and European spots increased by 2, plain and simple. I don't like it when I hear that Eurobasket is more difficult than the Olympics or WCs. Europe has the most quality, as least when talking about number of countries. It should be reflected as such.

BBallfanJ
    08-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Here is how they should've done it:

Europe - 8 teams
    Americas - 6 teams
    Asia - 3 (Not counting Japan)
    Africa - 4
    Oceania -2
    host (Japan)

I don't know why FIBA felt they had to have wild card entries. Anyways, I guess we'll find out how it all pans out over the next month and a half.

I split this thread, so all the "Americas" talk has it's own thread... - Stuart
    BBallfanJ
    08-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Out of Africa today - Angola and Senegal are going to qualify as they are both going to the finals of their tournament. Angola defeated Nigeria and Senegal is laying a beating on Algeria late in their game.
    BBallfanJ
    08-24-2005, 11:28 AM

Nigeria is about to qualify as they are winning late against Algeria in a rout.
    So as it stands right now, these are the teams that are currently locked in for Japan 06:
    Americas: Argentina (Olympic Champion 04)
    Europe: None
    Africa: Angola, Senegal, Nigeria
    Asia: None
    Host: Japan
    invitees: none

The U.S. will certainly get in - even if they don't qualify with their group of foreign pros and CBA'ers, they'll get an invite.
    K-2 Young
    09-03-2005, 10:20 AM

Americas: Brazil, Panama, Venezuela, United States

Olympic Champion: Argentina

11/24 (4 teams will be invited by FIBA)

Upcoming Events: Eurobasket, Asia Basketball Championship
    Last edited by stuart; 05-05-2006, 09:43 PM.

Comment

BBallfanJ
      09-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Asia: China, Lebanon, Qatar

Eurobasket underway.
      worldbasketball
      09-16-2005, 05:46 PM

I think the three best did reach from Asia. I was able to follow the teams and these were a class on their own. Korea was also a second best to Lebanon and Qatar, but not quite.

China is superior and distinct... then Lebanon and Qatar and Korea with Lebanon as a slight advantage.

Don't forget there is a fourth Asian basketball power automatically in, namely Japan. But Japan was not achieving frankly in Qatar.. probably because they had qualified anyway as organizers of the World Basketball Championship 2006.
      Lietuvis
      09-17-2005, 01:29 PM

11 from Europe
      6 from Americas
      3 from Asia
      2 from Oceania
      2 from Afrika

Supposedly, I think FIBA have !@* up their ranking and have not got it right. See the post on FIBA world rankings and you can see for yourself the detail and calculations...
      Lietuvis
      09-17-2005, 01:30 PM

These are the only 2 teams anyway. They compete from a pool of 2. hmmmm I think they should be part of Asia as it is pathetic otherwise..
      worldbasketball
      09-17-2005, 10:27 PM

..and call it Australasia.

I think FIBA can also have what one would call smaller nations championship in which small island nations could compete in basketball for a FIBA sanctioned title and trophy.
      hagakure
      09-19-2005, 09:22 AM

Oceania is very far from the middle east so it wouldn't make much sense to put them together. Imagine travelling from Australia to Lebanon and then having to play a game the next day.

worldbasketball
      09-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Now Asians have the same problem. Lebanese travel to Korea and Japan as well. It's not that distances mean anything. Plus that the games are scheduled in such a way as to not interfere with local timetables.

But seriously.
      Actually Asia is not one conference anyway precisely because of distances problem that you mention. It is already divided into sub-regions. So what you saw in Qatar is teams from various sub-regions...

For example there is West Asia (WABA) that has Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Iraq, Iran. The there is Gulf (includes UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman). South Asia (includes India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal... ), there are the Central Asia states (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan...) and so on.

What some colleagues are suggesting is not that Australia plays Lebanon (in WABA) or Qatar (in Gulf) or India (in South Asia) etc. This is not what they are saying.

What they are suggesting is that in the final qualifying round, that's once every four years, Oceania's two teams would go to a 2-week Australasia championship in one location (this year it was Qatar), last time it was China, next time it can be Korea and the folowing in Australia, why not, so we travel long distances for a change and see a beautiful land and play some good basketball... and all that as a final right of qualifying, that Australia and NZ fight it out with other Asia finalists in this high profile finals.

Presently 3 go from Asia and two go from Oceania. What is being suggested is that Australasia is one region and 5 in total go from this region. This way Australia and NZ wil have to qualify with games with other Asian powers rather than automatically as is now the case -- two are in the league and two qualify (which is absurd).

This will also serve to improve competition in Asia and hopefully in Oceania as well, because the small island nations are no match to Australia, but Lebanon or Qatar or Korea or the Philippines may.

hagakure
      09-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Now Asians have the same problem. Lebanese travel to Korea and Japan as well. It's not that distances mean anything. Plus that the games are scheduled in such a way as to not interfere with local timetables.

But seriously.
      Actually Asia is not one conference anyway precisely because of distances problem that you mention. It is already divided into sub-regions. So what you saw in Qatar is teams from various sub-regions...

For example there is West Asia (WABA) that has Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Iraq, Iran. The there is Gulf (includes UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman). South Asia (includes India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal... ), there are the Central Asia states (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan...) and so on.

What some colleagues are suggesting is not that Australia plays Lebanon (in WABA) or Qatar (in Gulf) or India (in South Asia) etc. This is not what they are saying.

What they are suggesting is that in the final qualifying round, that's once every four years, Oceania's two teams would go to a 2-week Australasia championship in one location (this year it was Qatar), last time it was China, next time it can be Korea and the folowing in Australia, why not, so we travel long distances for a change and see a beautiful land and play some good basketball... and all that as a final right of qualifying, that Australia and NZ fight it out with other Asia finalists in this high profile finals.

Presently 3 go from Asia and two go from Oceania. What is being suggested is that Australasia is one region and 5 in total go from this region. This way Australia and NZ wil have to qualify with games with other Asian powers rather than automatically as is now the case -- two are in the league and two qualify (which is absurd).

This will also serve to improve competition in Asia and hopefully in Oceania as well, because the small island nations are no match to Australia, but Lebanon or Qatar or Korea or the Philippines may.

That can happen of course, but I'm sure that FIBA as well as other international sports federations have thought about it before we did and there probably are more implications then we can think of. FIFA has been trying to solve that problem for decades now without much luck (Oceanian teams almost never make it to the World Cup). FIBA on the other hand has taken the easy way out by allowing 2(!) Oceanian teams to participate in all competitions, which is ridiculous because there are only 2 good teams in Oceania.

sinobball
      09-21-2005, 08:16 AM

IN 2001 Australia took place in East Asian Games as a special invitee and won the title in men's basketball... but since East Asian Games is like the Olympics where there are many other sports, the Australians were not officially awarded any medal... the gold went to China who lost badly to Australia in the Final.....
      Big Lebowski
      09-23-2005, 01:10 AM

The wild-cards are one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I really don't know why a team has to play the WC for this gift. Example, let's imagine that Croatia will be 7th or 8th at the Eurobasket and Italy will obtain a wild-card for the silver medal in Athens. Shouldn't the Croats be pretty furious for that? Of course. But at the same time it's true too that Italy, with its recent past, should play at the WC. But that's another point, not concerning the WCs but the presence of some teams that absolutely shouldn't play at this level: I mean, the presence of Qatar is not only an insult for the Italian basketball, because a non-qualified European team like Hungary or Czechia is anyway better than this Asian NT.

Since Europe has every time 11 teams that fight for a European medal (SCG, Lithuania, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, Russia, France, Turkey, Greece), it's pretty unfair to admit just 6 European squads at the WC (Wild Cards or not Wild Cards).
      Trifilli
      09-23-2005, 07:13 AM

So 3 out of the 6 European spots are decided now: Greece, France and Lithuania qualified for the WC next year.
      Out of the following 4 teams 3 will also receive a ticket to the WC: Slovenia, Germany, Croatia, Spain.

Atm the favourites for Wildcards are Italy and Serbia imo.
      K-2 Young
      09-23-2005, 10:44 AM

Europe: France, Lithuania, Greece, Germany and Spain (1 more spots to be decided between Croatia and Slovenia)

19/24 (4 teams will be invited by FIBA)

If I am wrong, please, correct me.

Frontrunners for the Wildcards(4):
      Puerto Rico
      Korea
      Serbia & Montenegro
      Italy
      Russia
      Turkey

Andrew Bogut, Sean Marks, Olumide Oyedeji, Gabe Mouneke, Boniface Ndong, Joaquim Gomez, Anderson Varejao, Leandro Barbosa, Nene, Michael Hicks, Oscar Torres, Victor David Diaz, Richard Lugo, Yao Ming, Joe Vogel, Fadi El Khatib, Tony Parker, Boris Diaw, Antoine Rigadeaw, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Arvydas Macijauskas, Lazaros Papadopoulos, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni, Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola, Yuta Tabuse and other!!!:enjoy: :great:

we have the luxury of adding Arroyo, Ayuso, Stojakovic, Jaric, Kirilenko, Turkoglu, Okur, Kutluay, Galanda, Bulleri, Pozzecco, Gasol, Lopez, Garbajosa, Navarro, Calderon, Giricek, Vujcic, Galanda, Udrih, Nesterovic, Brezec :celebrate:
      BBallfanJ
      09-24-2005, 07:26 AM

Slovenia qualifies. Now all that's left is the wild cards.
      K-2 Young
      09-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Europe: France, Lithuania, Greece, Germany, Spain and Slovenia

Wildcards Coming Soon
      K-2 Young
      11-27-2005, 05:45 PM

Europe: France, Lithuania, Greece, Germany, Spain and Slovenia

Wildcards: Serbia & Montenegro, Italy, Puerto Rico and Turkey

so, the field is complete

when is the lottery for the groups?

so...
      Oceania (2)
      Africa (3)
      Americas (6)
      Asia (4)
      Europe (9)

any comments?
      Last edited by stuart; 05-05-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

This is how the groups ended up:

Participating Teams

Group A

NIGERIA
        LEBANON
        ARGENTINA
        FRANCE
        VENEZUELA