X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish Players in NCAA

Anybody know what happened to him?

Turkish Players in NCAA

Sinan Guler (192-G-83) of Carroll College (30-4) averaged 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 2.4 steals, and 1 block per game while shooting 48% from the field in his last season. His college career came to an end after #4 Carroll lost in the quarter finals of NAIA Division I Basketball Championships against Texas Wesleyan. Guler was named the Defensive Player of the Year in Frontier Conference.

Engin Atsur (192-G-84) averaged 10.8 points, 3.4 assists, 3.2 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 2To's in 33 minutes of action shooting 40% behind the three point line and 78% from the free throw line in his third season. After downing #7 California in the first round, #10 Wolfpack(22-10) was eliminated in the second round of NCAA tournament falling to #2 Texas. Atsur was named to the Collegeinsider.com Defensive All-America Team and led his team in assists, steals and minutes played.

Can Civi (186-G-87) played a total of 22 minutes recording 3 points and 7 assists in eleven games in his first season while Davidson College (20-10, 10-5) won the Southern Conference play and advanced to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2001. No. 15 seed Davidson lost to No.2 seed Ohio State in the first round of NCAA tournament.

Cem Dinc (211-F-85) of Indiana University had a total of 3 points and 5 rebounds. After losing to Ohio State in the semifinals of Big Ten Tournament, Indiana University (19-12) downed San Diego State in the first round but felt short in their second round game against Gonzaga and finished their season with a 19-12 record.

Mesut Ademoglu (206-F/C-82) averaged 20.1 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists per game with NW Nazarene (NCAA2) and was selected to the All-GNAC Honorable Mention and GNAC-All Academic Teams in his last season.

Cihan Mumcuogullari (203-F-83) averaged 14.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2 blocks in 22 minutes shooting 57% from the field in his last season for Concordia University (17-14, 7-7). His college career came to an end after losing to Aquinas College at WHAC semifinals.

Murat Hisarkaya (201-F-81) averaged 5.3 points, 3.7 rebounds, 1.3 assists in 16 minutes of action for Embry-Riddle University at Daytona Beach (31-3, 9-1) shooting 37% from the field. After clinching their seventh Florida Sun Conference tournament title, No. 1 seed Embry-Riddle was eliminated in the second round of NAIA Div II national tournament losing to No.16 Mount Vernon Nazarene.

Nazim Senaldi (198-G/F-83) of Franklin Pierce College averaged 2.8 points, 1.4 rebounds in 9 minutes of action in his third year shooting 42% from the field. His season came to a close after his team lost in the first round of NE-10 Conf.

Sercan Ferenci (201-F/C-80) of Angelo State University (8-19, 0-12) averaged 1.8 points and 2.1 rebounds in 11 minutes of action as a junior.
    Berker Tas (191-F, college: St.Thomas) averaged 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in 7 minutes of action in his last season shooting 57% from the field. His college career came to an end after No. 24 seed St.Thomas (23-6, 17-3) lost in the second round of Div. III National Tournament.

Bora Kara (191-G) averaged 3 points in 10 minutes of action in his last season. His college career came to an end after Holy Names University (23-11) finished their season with a loss to #5 Warner Pacific (OR) in the first round of the NAIA Div-II Men's Basketball National Tournament

Yigit Niyazi Yener (201-F-86) is redshirted in his first season with Pratt
    Community College (17-12, 6-9) which means he can practice with the team but cannot play against other teams.

Suleyman Berk Ozluk (198-F/C) has played a total of 14 minutes in 10 games while Lakeland College finished the season after losing in Lake Michigan Conference semifinals.

Note:
    I copied-and-pasted all this info from a Turkish board, from a message posted by hegotgame, in 17 May 2006.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Thanks sariss I read from here that Cem Dinc declared himself for the NBA. Then found some other news about him pulling out from the draft and deciding to play in Europe. Do you know for which team he is playing now?

BTW, you can delete my thread about Cem Dinc-discussing him in this thread may be better in terms of preventing meaningless threads

Good thread! I merged the two. It's your thread now - sariss
      Last edited by Levenspiel; 10-03-2006, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I wonder muse if Dinc is getting bad advice . . . when he came to the U.S. he had eligibility (grades, English) problems, they put him in a prep school - Carolina wanted him bad for a while but he complained about the school he was in, about having to wait to play (got only a little press, and it was bad) but he went to Indy, then he declared for the draft which was a very bad idea . . . just rumors I heard though, probably not very productive ones.

He could have tried for the camps, but kept his NCAA eligibility by pulling out at the last second - he could even have still tried out for European teams if he had spoken with his coach, college coaches have to drop you though if you have any whiffs of an agent coming in between you and him. I think that's why Carolina backed away from him, because of an agent. It is okay to just talk to them, but if it becomes obvious that they are making your decisions, you lose your eligibility for NCAA ball. Of course there are other ways to get to the NBA.
        Michelle Tackabery
        Tackabery Chronicle
        Durham, NC, USA

Comment

Cem getting bad advice would explain a lot actually. I got the impression that he didn't know what to do with his skills (from what I read of course so that doesn't mean much). I don't know. Him not having a team (as far as I know) at the moment is also confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by muse
            Cem getting bad advice would explain a lot actually. I got the impression that he didn't know what to do with his skills (from what I read of course so that doesn't mean much). I don't know. Him not having a team (as far as I know) at the moment is also confusing.
            It is too bad. I know Coach Roy Williams at UNC is a big Engin fan - Engin played at Carolina during the summers with the Evtimovs when Vasco would come during the summer (Vasco went to Carolina, Vasco's wife's family is from here), so I guess they got to know each other then, because when Roy comes to State he always talks to Engin and gives him a hug - you have no idea what a big deal this is at State, you know our teams are mortal enemies, and there's their Coach shaking hands with Engin (but that's Engin) - so when I heard Roy was interested in Dinc I wondered about him coming to NC too, but it fell apart. Really too bad because with Roy he would be on a championship team this year. Last year too.

All I ever hear about Dinc is his height!
            Michelle Tackabery
            Tackabery Chronicle
            Durham, NC, USA

Comment

Dear ALL
              This is first post and my English is pretty bad,so forgive me.
              Cem Dinc is going to Marshalltown Community College in this season.
              here

Comment

Dear ALL
                Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by kei_choi
                  Dear ALL
                  here

Konnichiwa,

Don't worry your English is fine, although "dear all" is a bit of an ackward way to greet people, but it's sounds cool and diffrent so keep using it.

Anyway Cem Dinc ended up in Marshalltown Community College, so what does this mean? Is he still in the NCAA? What kind of level do they play there?
                  ________
                  Creampie sex
                  Last edited by Spike; 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I have never heard of this college before today; from their website it is a junior college in Iowa (I can't think of a farther-away place from the culture of home for him) which offers associates' degrees so it is not NCAA-accredited. Dinc could transfer into an NCAA school from this program and play his first year there without the penalty of having to sit a year on the bench, but there is no chance an NBA scout would pay attention to him there, so I can't think why he would go there.

Since he only played one year at Indy he should still have three years of NCAA eligibility, but playing for any athletic team takes away that, so the NCAA might take away a full year of his eligibility from him if he tried to get into another NCAA school.

This mystifies me completely; his grades must have been poor. Maybe they are trying to get him into a Big 10 or Pac 10 basketball program next year.
                    Michelle Tackabery
                    Tackabery Chronicle
                    Durham, NC, USA

Comment

Dogus Balbay

promising young man,Dogus Balbaygot the scholarship offer from University of Texas.

Is he going there,or not?
                      If he goes,that will be exciting.

Comment

promising young man,Dogus Balbaygot the scholarship offer from University of Texas.

That's good news, but he played professional basketball with Fenerbahçe (at the age of 16). Is he eligible to play in NCAA? He has to wait for one year, maybe?
                        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by sariss
                          That's good news, but he played professional basketball with Fenerbahçe (at the age of 16). Is he eligible to play in NCAA? He has to wait for one year, maybe?
                          The NCAA treats Under-21 ball differently than over 21. He could still be eligible; it depends upon his compensation for playing, how much he played, etc; I don't know what the exact formula is (it's probably another one of those with Tarot cards, etc. ). He would definitely have to sit out at least some games, but not necessarily the entire year.

I think part of the formula is whether or not you could argue that a player was paid a salary, and the NCAA doesn't consider anyone who played under the age of 18 to be technically eligible to earn a real "salary," so the age he played for Fenerbahçe would be in his favor. The NCAA made Atsur sit because he played U-21 ball, but only 3 games, and they didn't even have to be regular-season (conference games), just the first three. So he might be penalized, but it might be very light and not make much of a difference to the team's season.
                          Michelle Tackabery
                          Tackabery Chronicle
                          Durham, NC, USA

Comment

hi friends, i wonder where Emre Atsür? i know he graduated from university but i can't get any news about him? does he give up basketball?

Comment

Dogus Balbay (17 - 1,84) is now playing at Brewster Academy and is going to play for Texas University next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information