Basketball Officiating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball Officiating

Might be an odd topic but thought I'd ask. I just officiated a couple games in a rec league locally and wondered if anyone had some tips. I have a good understanding (I thought anyways) but was thrown to the wolves and reffed my first game solo and seemed like I was missing alot of calls. The second game went better but I also had a partner. Was just wondering if anyone had some experience if I could get some advice. Thanks.

know the rules of your league
    dont let players influence your calls
    try to anticipate things before they happen instead of just reacting once they do
    during breaks in play its ok to explain to a player why you made a call or what you saw
    if your partner ref misses something in his zone, but you see it, dont be afraid to make the call for him
    dont allow players to verbally or body language 'show you up' otherwise it will go on all game

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Basketball View Post
      during breaks in play its ok to explain to a player why you made a call or what you saw
      if your partner ref misses something in his zone, but you see it, dont be afraid to make the call for him
      I don't agree with these two.
      • In my opinion, you should talk to players as less as possible.
      • I wouldn't recommend you to whistle not in your zone because your partner is responsible for that. It's refereeing ethics I believe. Sometimes such a situation could happen : you whistle not to your zone and after a few moments your partner doubles the call. The prestige of your partner goes down because you saw the foul(or any other violation) faster than he did even though it was his zone.

I recommend you not to whistle too fast. It's better to make a call a bit later but right. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information