PDA

View Full Version : Russia NT

Fripp_Moe
07-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Here's the list of 19 players who are currently preparing for EC2007 qualification tournament:

C: Savrasenko, Likholitov, Dmitri Sokolov
PF: Khryapa, Morgunov, Nikita Shabalkin,
SF: Monia, Korolev, Fedor Dmitriev, Vladimir Dyachok
SG: Padius, Andrei Ivanov, Sergei Bykov, Yegor Vyaltsev, Vitali Fridzon
PG: Holden, Samoilenko, Anton Ponkrashov, Vadim Panin

Head coach: David Blatt

Kirilenko would come for the WC, but he's not really needed for this tournament, so he'll have a rest and work on his shot this midseason.

There's an interview with NT's GM Sergei Tarakanov in Sport-Express. He said that Holden is still in US and will be ready to join the team only in the end of August. In the next few days the final decision will be made on whether he's out.

Tarakanov said they are still in doubt because there's a problem with PG's on this team. Personally I don't think Holden would solve it anyway -- Messina used him as SG all season and that's one of the reason of CSKA's success. Holden is useful as a scorer and defender when he knows his role, but you don't want the ball in his hands much on offense.

All the older guys weren't called, with the exception of Morgunov, who is 31. Samoilenko is 29, Savrasenko is 27, but overall it's the youngsters who will play. The idea is to get ready for EC2007 with Olympics being the primary goal.

ziv
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
well - i'm not too fimiliar with all of the players...
anyway - i realy like what i saw from samoilenko in the playoffs. i guess fridzon will see some limited minutes at point as well.
i was somewhat dissapointed that petrenko was left out but it sounds a bit tragic know to talk about.
i won't be surprise if blat will use some special line-ups, something like, playing monia at 4 with padius as 3 and 2 more guards or even playing khryapa as center.
anyway man - i'd be curious to hear about developments in the team.

wardjdim
07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
With such a bad PG line, I m excited about Alexey Shved's invitation. I just hope that he just sees some PT in the CSKA senior team next season.

Fripp_Moe
07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I'll be updating this page on who's getting cut or when there's something interesting said or done.

The players that you're not familiar with are youngsters who play on second-tier teams. Ponkrashov, Fridzon, Vyaltsev, Shabalkin and Sokolov were on the U20 team last year, that's where I've seen them play the most.

Fridzon can't play the point, no. =) Not that good of a ballhandler and doesn't create much on offense. Kind of got lost behind Khimki's imports.. Of the SG's listed here Vyaltsev may see some minutes at the point. He played crazy at U20, but in Ural-Great he had some games with a lot of assists and he's more mature now.

I liked how Samoilenko was pushing the team forward in the playoffs too, but he's not really on European level anyway and we need someone else. Ponkrashov is the best passer on this team, but he's too young and has yet to find his game on offense.

Dmitriev can play both 3 and 4, he was great after Spartak-SPb got rid of all its expensive players. Morgunov -- 4-5, Khryapa -- 3-4, Monya -- 2-3 and so on. Korolev was tried as point guard at Clippers practices, played PF at U18 team last summer. Most everyone can play a couple different positions, which gives Blatt lots of flexibility, true.
I'll do player descriptions when they are closer to the final roster.

Fripp_Moe
07-25-2006, 07:47 PM
wardjdim, Shved wasn't invited to the senior national team.. And no, he won't get any PT in CSKA next season. I think even Ponkrashov won't, being 6-7, older, stronger and more experienced. Barring injury, Vanterpool and Papaloukas will keep on sharing the PG duties.

Zavoruev will be lent to some other team, as it was officially announced, and I think Ponkrashov will follow. CSKA is a team of 30-year-old veterans, there's no place for youngsters.

wardjdim
07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
i missed the word ''future'' or ''potential'' before writing ''invitation''. :D

Fripp_Moe
07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
i missed the word ''future'' or ''potential'' before writing ''invitation''. :D

=) Oh yeah, in 3--5 years he'll be there!

Fripp_Moe
07-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Panin, Dmitriev and Sokolov were cut. With Holden still out, and probably for good, the roster is shortened to 15 players.

pecker
09-16-2006, 04:21 AM
If they want to have any chance to win some games the team should be,

C: Morgunov 6'11, Savrasenko, 7'1, Sokolov 7'0, kauraulov 7'1
PF: kirilenko 6'9, likholitov 6'11, shabalkin
Sf: Khryapa 6'9, Dyachok, Monia 6'8, Korolev 6'9
SG: zouryev 6'7 , fridzon, Andrei Ivanov,
PG: Ponkrashov 6'6, Samoilenko, some vet here.

ziv
09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
fripp_moe, are you still with us?
how would you sum up the tournment (obviously i'm espcialy interested in coach blatt and the press and fans reaction to his style - but i'd like to hear you thought on the nt itself as well)?

ArkadiosV2
01-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Straight forward
01-16-2008, 09:02 PM
i'm already waiting for revenge :rolleyes:

rikhardur
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
And Savrasenko is the only true centre in the team. Morgunov can fill that role, but what other players can fill the spot?

Neozyrus
01-17-2008, 12:12 AM
morgunov isnt bad, but a team cant relay all his inside game in a player like him.

I remember in some moments of the EC, Russia playing with 3 small, Kirilenko and as a center... Krhyapa.
But it is not a realistic solution.

Kidala
01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Liholitov and Sokolov were as options before Eurobaaket.

Neozyrus
01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Imo Morgunov as a C or as a PF, is a really good complement, but as that definition says, he needs somebody really good at his side, so that player would have the deffense attention in many plays and Morgunov could act as the "surprise man".
I saw him playing like that in the EC and in some moments with Khimky.

As it was said Before right now some possible optionse could be Bashminov, Likholitov maybe Trushkin....

rikhardur
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Bashminov
Nice recall, I think he could be a pretty good option. He was with the NT already some years ago, he's experienced and I really have a positive opinion about him. Actually, he should have been called much more times.

hotjam_2
01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Savrasenko will be operated in Germany next Wednesday and is expected to sit out for 5-6 months.

According to him, he might miss the Olympics...

That be a shame; back at the 2007 Euro Semi-finals, right at the start Savrasenko tore up Javkotas, scored the 1st 8 points of the game and helped Russia into an incredible upset of Lithuania.
If Russia is in need of a strong or muscular center, why can't they naturalize someone from the former Soviet republic? I mean after all JR HOLDEN does'nt look Russian and he's playing for them.
I heard something that NBA journeyman, Jake Tsakalidis, was born in Russia(allthough got Greek nationality), or even L Papdopoulos was born there(just in case the Greek NT decides to dump him for the swifter Kostas!) Or if the Lithuanians think that Illkaukas is a traitor and don't want him, then heck!, let him play for the Russian NT!.

The possibilities are endless!
thats if you believe that JR HOLDEN is actually a Russian!

rikhardur
01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
If Russia is in need of a strong or muscular center, why can't they naturalize someone from the former Soviet republic? I mean after all JR HOLDEN does'nt look Russian and he's playing for them.
Well, an ethnic Georgian, Armenian, Turkmen, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Uzbek or Azerbaijani doesn't look Russian as well. Or even someone from Siberia, although Russian. Better not go that way ;)

I heard something that NBA journeyman, Jake Tsakalidis, was born in Russia
He was born in Georgia (and can possibly be a Pontic Greek).

Or if the Lithuanians think that Illkaukas is a traitor and don't want him, then heck!, let him play for the Russian NT!
I don't think that's plausible :p

Straight forward
01-18-2008, 01:24 PM
That be a shame; back at the 2007 Euro Semi-finals, right at the start Savrasenko tore up Javkotas, scored the 1st 8 points of the game and helped Russia into an incredible upset of Lithuania.
I heard something that NBA journeyman, Jake Tsakalidis, was born in Russia(allthough got Greek nationality), or even L Papdopoulos was born there(just in case the Greek NT decides to dump him for the swifter Kostas!) Or if the Lithuanians think that Illkaukas is a traitor and don't want him, then heck!, let him play for the Russian NT!.

The possibilities are endless!
thats if you believe that JR HOLDEN is actually a Russian!

You talk like a guy from USA government- "The possibilities are endless!", but only in Russia and USA, i guess ;)
Imho, with Savrasenko or without him Russia won't be able to compete with teams like USA, Argentina, Lithuania, Spain. I see Russia only in 5-8 places. Russia won Eurobasket and that's cool, cause winners are winners. But the time flows and if we would look critically, Lithuania was an obvious victim of Eurobasket competition system (6 wins in a row and no days off before quarterfinal and semifanal- what a present!, while Russia and Croatia was resting) and Spain in the final suffered from the pressure created by themselfs. More over, Russia won't be underdogs in olympics, they have big goals and the team will have a pressure this time. And we'll see what kind of genius is D. Blatt in olympics.

rikhardur
01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
1. Russians would rather see a naturalised Senegalese or Japanese play for their NT than a naturalised Armenian, Georgian or Azerbaijani.
Indeed (sadly) true.

uRAgan
02-05-2008, 12:48 AM
You talk like a guy from USA government- "The possibilities are endless!", but only in Russia and USA, i guess ;)
Imho, with Savrasenko or without him Russia won't be able to compete with teams like USA, Argentina, Lithuania, Spain. I see Russia only in 5-8 places. Russia won Eurobasket and that's cool, cause winners are winners. But the time flows and if we would look critically, Lithuania was an obvious victim of Eurobasket competition system (6 wins in a row and no days off before quarterfinal and semifanal- what a present!, while Russia and Croatia was resting) and Spain in the final suffered from the pressure created by themselfs. More over, Russia won't be underdogs in olympics, they have big goals and the team will have a pressure this time. And we'll see what kind of genius is D. Blatt in olympics.

bla , bla , bla , bla, bla.
Again Lithuanian arrogance.
Few you received on the noses in the semi -finale.:D
I remember perfectly that said Songaila to 1 / 4. :D

Russia in the course of the tournament beat current champions of Europe and the world.
Champions of the world in the finals on the home of Spain. And the "great" national team in Lithuania.:D

This is "accidentally" in professional sports?:rolleyes:

You "great" basketball analyst.;)

sashikas
02-05-2008, 07:45 AM

Russia in the course of the tournament beat current champions of Europe and the world.
Champions of the world in the finals on the home of Spain. And the "great" national team in Lithuania.:D

Your coach himself was admitting after the semifinal victory, that the key to a win was that Lithuanians were still tired after the quaterfinal game. You can read it once more here (http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/cid_BqypGFJPHy-Nw4lwIAq,v3.gameID_5174-50-A-1.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2007.roundI D_5169.teamID_.html). Nobody denies, that you had a good team in last Eurobasket. We are just admitting, that we can do better, and you can be sure, that we will do so in the Olympics.

After the WC'06 I was waiting for the game against the turks the most. Now I can't wait till we can get our sweet revenge against the Russians.

Straight forward
02-05-2008, 08:24 AM

Man, don't get me wrong, but you're the one who is way arrogant if you don't addmit that Russia was underdog in any game with Lithuania simply since independency of our country.

goga78
02-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Because it was decisive? One additional day of rest combined with a perfect game of Russians against more worn-down Lithuanians guaranteed that victory. There is a reason for the Lithuanians to complain about the schedule but Russia has become a worth champion and nobody can take it away from them. Nobody has given away the gold medal to them. It was all about hard work.

uRAgan
02-05-2008, 05:31 PM
USA negotiates with the manager of Team Russia Tarakanov to hold friendly matches and joint training to O G.

CG
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
its interesting...this is the "2008 Russia NT" thread and all i can see is 1 russian (URAGAN) writing while the rest posters are from around the Europe!!!
strange world

uRAgan
02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
its interesting...this is the "2008 Russia NT" thread and all i can see is 1 russian (URAGAN) writing while the rest posters are from around the Europe!!!
strange world

All Russian fans here.
http://basketball.ru/
here are Lithuanians, Israelis, Ukrainians.

Buducnost PG
02-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I hope Russia pulls some strings in FIBA so they can fit Makarov to the NT. He could be a significant help.

Who is that?

Buducnost PG
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.krepsinis.net/imgs/mccarty_kelly_07_makarov.jpg

Didn't you watch the Final tonight? Khimki player...

Sure i am watching very often russian league games. I didn´t know that McCarty has russian passport.

But he has no right to play. Or he plays and Holden not. No way that FIBA would allow that to Russia. Then they have to allow this to all teams. And all in all i am against that that players like Holden play for Russia or Masseys for FYROM and so on.

sinobball
04-17-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/apr/16/russia_invites_kaun_tryout/?mens_basketball
Russia invites Kaun for tryout
By Gary Bedore (Contact)

Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Kansas University center Sasha Kaun has been invited to try out for Russia’s national basketball team.

Kaun, a 6-foot-11, 250-pound senior from Tomsk, will travel to Moscow for tryouts in early July in hopes of representing his country at the 2008 Summer Games in China.

“This is a great opportunity for me to continue to play basketball and move toward a professional career, whether that be the U.S. or overseas,” Kaun said Tuesday.

NBA player Andrei Kirilenko (Utah) and Viktor Khryapa, who was cut by the Chicago Bulls this season, led the Russian nationals last summer.

Kaun — he averaged 7.1 points and 3.9 boards a game — said he was flooded with phone calls and text messages from friends in Russia the past several days, congratulating him on KU’s national title.
ytrbjv8TUww

vaslover
04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
RUSSIA in OLIMPIADA:

JR.Holden (CSKA)
A.Pankrashov(Chimki)
P.Samoilenko(Dynamo)
Z.Pashutin(CSKA)
V.Fridzon(Chimki)
S.Monya(Dynamo)
V.Khryapa(CSKA)
V.Keyru(UNIKS)
A.Kirilenko(NBA)
N.Morgunov(Chimki)
S.Kaun(NCAA)
A.Savrasenko(CSKA)

re5pectas
04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
RUSSIA in OLIMPIADA:

JR.Holden (CSKA)
A.Pankrashov(Chimki)
P.Samoilenko(Dynamo)
Z.Pashutin(CSKA)
V.Fridzon(Chimki)
S.Monya(Dynamo)
V.Khryapa(CSKA)
V.Keyru(UNIKS)
A.Kirilenko(NBA)
N.Morgunov(Chimki)
S.Kaun(NCAA)
A.Savrasenko(CSKA)
It's your wish?

As I remember David Blatt announced 25 candidates, article (http://www.sport.ru/ru/news/20080412/basketball/article85733/).
I copied the list from Lithuanian site, because of russian letters (just ignore the endings of names:) ) :

Forwards: Andrejus Kirilenka (Jutos „Jazz“, NBA), Dmitrijus Flisas (Badalonos „DKV Joventut“), Andrejus Voroncevičius ir Viktoras Chriapa (abu - Maskvos CSKA), Kelly McCarty ir Nikita Šabalkinas (abu - Maskvos srities „Chimki“), Fiodoras Dimitrijevas (Liubercų „Triumph“), Jurijus Vasiljevas, Sergejus Monia ir Travisas Hansenas (visi - Maskvos „Dinamo“).

Centers: Aleksandras Kaunas (Kanzaso „Jayhawks“, NCAA), Aleksejus Savrasenka (Maskvos CSKA), Nikita Morgunovas (Maskvos srities „Chimki“), Dmitrijus Sokolovas (Kazanės „Unics“).

Guards: Zacharas Pašutinas, Johnas Robertas Holdenas ir Aleksejus Švedas (visi - Maskvos CSKA), Antonas Ponkrašovas, Vitalijus Fridzonas ir Jegoras Vialcevas (visi - Maskvos srities „Chimki“), Viktoras Keiru ir Nikolajus Padiušas (abu - Kazanės „Unics“), („Chimki“), Sergejus Bykovas, Piotras Samoilenka ir Dmitrijus Chvostovas (visi - Maskvos „Dinamo“).

vaslover
04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
It's your wish?

As I remember David Blatt announced 25 candidates, article (http://www.sport.ru/ru/news/20080412/basketball/article85733/).
I copied the list from Lithuanian site, because of russian letters (just ignore the endings of names:) ) :

Forwards: Andrejus Kirilenka (Jutos „Jazz“, NBA), Dmitrijus Flisas (Badalonos „DKV Joventut“), Andrejus Voroncevičius ir Viktoras Chriapa (abu - Maskvos CSKA), Kelly McCarty ir Nikita Šabalkinas (abu - Maskvos srities „Chimki“), Fiodoras Dimitrijevas (Liubercų „Triumph“), Jurijus Vasiljevas, Sergejus Monia ir Travisas Hansenas (visi - Maskvos „Dinamo“).

Centers: Aleksandras Kaunas (Kanzaso „Jayhawks“, NCAA), Aleksejus Savrasenka (Maskvos CSKA), Nikita Morgunovas (Maskvos srities „Chimki“), Dmitrijus Sokolovas (Kazanės „Unics“).

Guards: Zacharas Pašutinas, Johnas Robertas Holdenas ir Aleksejus Švedas (visi - Maskvos CSKA), Antonas Ponkrašovas, Vitalijus Fridzonas ir Jegoras Vialcevas (visi - Maskvos srities „Chimki“), Viktoras Keiru ir Nikolajus Padiušas (abu - Kazanės „Unics“), („Chimki“), Sergejus Bykovas, Piotras Samoilenka ir Dmitrijus Chvostovas (visi - Maskvos „Dinamo“).
Yes,it,s my wish. I hope Blatts wish the same!:)

Kleber
06-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Russia preliminay squad for Beijing,21 players

форварды – Андрей Кириленко («Юта Джаз», НБА), Виктор Хряпа , Андрей Воронцевич (оба - ЦСКА), Никита Моргунов, Никита Шабалкин (оба - «Химки»), Сергей Моня («Динамо» М), Федор Дмитриев («Триумф»);
центровые – Алексей Саврасенко (ЦСКА), Александр Каун (университет «Канзас», NCAA), Дмитрий Соколов (УНИКС);
защитники – Джон Роберт Холден, Захар Пашутин, Алексей Швед (все - ЦСКА), Сергей Быков, Петр Самойленко, Трэвис Хансен, Дмитрий Хвостов (все - «Динамо» М), Антон Понкрашов, Виталий Фридзон (оба - «Химки») Виктор Кейру (УНИКС) и Алексей Зозулин («Урал-Грейт»).

rikhardur
06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Russia preliminay squad for Beijing,21 players

форварды – Андрей Кириленко («Юта Джаз», НБА), Виктор Хряпа , Андрей Воронцевич (оба - ЦСКА), Никита Моргунов, Никита Шабалкин (оба - «Химки»), Сергей Моня («Динамо» М), Федор Дмитриев («Триумф»);
центровые – Алексей Саврасенко (ЦСКА), Александр Каун (университет «Канзас», NCAA), Дмитрий Соколов (УНИКС);
защитники – Джон Роберт Холден, Захар Пашутин, Алексей Швед (все - ЦСКА), Сергей Быков, Петр Самойленко, Трэвис Хансен, Дмитрий Хвостов (все - «Динамо» М), Антон Понкрашов, Виталий Фридзон (оба - «Химки») Виктор Кейру (УНИКС) и Алексей Зозулин («Урал-Грейт»).
How about providing those with latin alphabet? :rolleyes:

Turkish Airlines Euroleague
06-17-2008, 11:24 AM
The first one should be Andrei Kirilenko and the second one Viktor Khryapa... :D

The forth one must be Nikita Morgunov... :cool:

Duke
06-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I would love to see Kaun in russian jersey. He was really impressive in March.

Damn, I hope Russians dont become european football champions and olympic champions this year :) it will be same as greece in 2004, and then european basketball champs at 2005. And eurovision also, Russians this year, and Greeks in either 2004 or 2005 :D Conspiracy? ;)

mvblair
06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Sasha Kaun is a great player who could easily be in the NBA. I guess he wants that 3 year contract with CSKA though. I guess he was born in Russia, but when did he move to the US?

Mindozas
06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Sasha Kaun is a great player who could easily be in the NBA. I guess he wants that 3 year contract with CSKA though. I guess he was born in Russia, but when did he move to the US?

When he was ~16yo

vaslover
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Let,s wait about his greatness.:) It,s too early. We,ll see him in Olympics Games and euroleague,and only after that we,ll probably trying to say that Sasha Kaun it,s something more than average player. Anyway,i wish him the best and i hope he,ll be our secret weapon in one month!:cool:

Migelitas
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
According to Sports.ru, starting five member of russian NT Viktor Khryapa may miss Olympics due to Achilles injury, which he got in collision with Nikita Shabalkin.
http://www.sports.ru/basketball/5150929.html

cardenales
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
How you people see the Russian NT for the olympics?

Straight forward
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
How you people see the Russian NT for the olympics?

Seems like Khryapa is going to play so they'll have the same roster. Russia was a big surprise in Eurobasket 2007. Perfect team play, everyone knew his place, great play by Kirilenko, Khryapa, Holden, Morgunov, Pashutin. I'm not sure Khryapa will manage to show the same quality while looking at his performances in CSKA. Still, if they'll manage to show the same quality team play, they can beat anybody in one particular game. And yes, i have no doubt Spain and Lithuania were stronger teams in Eurobasket and, imho, they'll prove that in Olympics.

damelo
07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Khryapa used to do that good in NT, while not playing in the NBA. I think in 2005 he did pretty well too. So, I hope he'll do as well as in 2007 this summer.

vaslover
07-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Seems like Khryapa is going to play so they'll have the same roster. Russia was a big surprise in Eurobasket 2007. Perfect team play, everyone knew his place, great play by Kirilenko, Khryapa, Holden, Morgunov, Pashutin. I'm not sure Khryapa will manage to show the same quality while looking at his performances in CSKA. Still, if they'll manage to show the same quality team play, they can beat anybody in one particular game. And yes, i have no doubt Spain and Lithuania were stronger teams in Eurobasket and, imho, they'll prove that in Olympics.
We,ll see in Olimpics,who what can prove it. As for Russia,we don,t afraid to lose you,because we surely dark horse in Olimpic Games,but i can,t say the same about Lithuania.If you,ll lose in the main stage (quarter-final )in would be real catastrophe for Lithuania.
P.s. Our adequate understanding of our fettle is Russian strength.

Basket_
07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Now it seems that Khryapa probably won't play Olympics, because of injury.
http://www.eurobasket.lt/lt/naujienos/34352/v.chriapa-į-olimpiadą-vis-dėlto-nevyks

Federoy
07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.feb.es/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=11&ItemID=21086

Kleber
07-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Russia team

Holden
Pashutin
Bykov
Samoylenko
Fridzon
Keyru
Kirilenko
Monya
Voronsevich
Morgunov
Savrasenko
Kaun

Big surprise,Ponkrashov left out.
According to Blatt Khryapa can make the team at the last minute,he will fly to Beijing.

L8DBACK
08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Russia team

Holden
Pashutin
Bykov
Samoylenko
Fridzon
Keyru
Kirilenko
Monya
Voronsevich
Morgunov
Savrasenko
Kaun

Big surprise,Ponkrashov left out.
According to Blatt Khryapa can make the team at the last minute,he will fly to Beijing.

The USA vs Russia preparation game will be interesting tonight. Can't wait!:D

Phantim3dx
08-03-2008, 12:25 AM
i hate you all who have the ability to watch this. i'll be stuck at work....

Mindozas
08-04-2008, 03:45 PM
So the last player who was left out is S.Kaun, also that means that V.Khryapa is going to Beijing. As D.Blatt said, Khryapa might be ready to play in Olympics from the start. Still, he'll miss Russia's last preparation game vs China on Wednesday, which will be played behind closed doors

Basket_
08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
According to this (http://www.krepsinis.net/news.php?news_id=82144), Blatt said, that Holden won't play in Russian NT anymore.

auris1
08-19-2008, 11:34 AM
What he meant was that it is the end of the cycle for the team .And one half of current team has no future .

rikhardur
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Will Blatt keep at the helm?

mvblair
08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Will Blatt keep at the helm? He should not. He was absolutely disappointing. Poor, poor, poor offense.

Matt's Uninformed Comments on the Russian 2008 Campaign

• Looking back to 2007, maybe Russia was just lucky. At the time, a lot of people said “no, they’re a true team.” What happened to that team?
• Kirilenko was the same Kirilenko that NBA get to see every week. Good stuff.
• JR Holden was great. Wonderful as usual.
• Besides Holden and Kirilenko, Russia was pretty pathetic.
• Don’t blame the players, blame the coach. Blatt is supposed to be one of the best coaches on the planet, but the only team he could beat was Iran? Yes, the fourth quarter run against Lithuania was very good. But Blatt was out-coached and out-played by Australia, Argentina, and Croatia. Pathetic.

rikhardur
11-17-2008, 03:08 AM
More Pressure On Russia After Madrid Glory

// 16 November 2008
Russia will enter EuroBasket 2009 as defending champions and with a very tough task of holding on to the crown.

The no-expectations trip to Madrid last year, at least by those outside the Russian camp, will be replaced with an entirely different type of journey to Poland next summer.

David Blatt's team, which includes CSKA Moscow stars JR Holden and Victor Khryapa, and EuroBasket 2007 MVP Andrei Kirilenko of the Utah Jazz, will be under immense pressure to retain the gold medal.

At the recent EuroBasket draw held in Warsaw, Russia discovered they would play in Group B in Gdansk with Latvia, Germany and the team to join last, from the Additional Qualifying Round.

Last year, Russia were also drawn with the last team to join, so that might bring good karma for the gold holders in the upcoming campaign as well.

"Right now, we can't see a complete picture of our group because one of the opponents that we'll face will qualify though an additional tournament," Blatt said on the official website of Dynamo Moscow - the club side he coaches in Russia's Superleague.

"That means, we're in a very difficult situation, because we won't know who we are going to face so we can't make a plan of preparation beforehand.

"Potentially, if it's Italy or France, the team from the qualifying tournament will become the strongest opponent for us, and that will make our group, which is already strong, even stronger."

If not France or Italy, the team that reaches Poland could be Bosnia and Herzegovina, Portugal, Belgium or Finland.

Blatt also shared his thoughts about the teams that are already set to play him in Group B.

"It goes without saying that Dirk Nowitzki is one of the best players in the world, in my opinion," he said.

"As far as I know, he has yet to make a decision whether he will he play. But I'm sure that even without him Germany team has a great potential."

First up for Russia, who won the gold last year with an upset of Spain in Madrid, will be Latvia and their incredibly talented center Andris Biedrins.

The Baltic country have a point to prove after slipping up in their last group game in Seville against Portugal at EuroBasket 2007 and missing out on advancing to the Qualifying Round for the Quarte-Finals.

"Latvia is a team that we know very well," Blatt said. "We know the players and the coaches. It is a strong opponent for us, and we'll be preparing a lot before the game against Latvia."

Russia will be looking for another big tournament from Kirilenko.

"Latvia has always been a hard nut to crack," Kirilenko said to Moscow's Sport-Express newspaper.

"It's tough to play against Germany, not only because they have Nowitzki, but because they play a smooth, running team game."

Kirilenko had the honor of serving as his country's flagbearer this summer at the Olympics.

Unfortunately for him, that proved to be the highlight for the basketball team as they failed to advance to the last eight in Beijing.

Just as nearly everyone else does, Kirilenko thinks Italy or France will qualify as the 16th team and he knows the one he'd prefer to face.

"If I had to choose between Italy and France, then I'd prefer Italy," he said. "Their style suits us better."

Maybe there's another reason for Russia wanting to avoid France.

Should Tony Parker and Les Bleus claim the last spot, they would no doubt be on a revenge mission after falling to Russia in the quarter-finals at EuroBasket 2007.

Kirilenko is ready for his group opponents, but he knows that Russia won't sneak up on any team.

"It's always harder to defend a championship than to win it," he said.

At least Russian fans will know this.

No team will find it easy to snatch the title from their team.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_znRYS94aIfUSdHA7BBlv62.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html

vaslover
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I don,t like our situation with russian players in Superleague. They have awful lack of time on the court. Situation with our main young talents such Sasha Kaun and especially Alexei Shved simply enrages me. If they aren,t good enough to play now in CSKA, then it,s needed to farm them out in other team, because in their age to be without practice, it,s crime,real crime. For example, Victor Claver and Martynas Gecevicius (both of them 20 years old as well) have enough practice in their clubs, while Shved which at least doesn,t yield to them on talent smokes a bamboo on a bench...

rikhardur
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Nilsen: Holden Unsure Of Russia Future

Picture the scenario, you get the chance to have a conversation with Neil Armstrong and beforehand you are tormented by the devilish thought that he might just be completely sick of constantly talking about that defining moment.

I mean how long do you seriously think you could wait before eventually giving in to temptation and just blurting out a question about walking on the moon like everyone else who probably meets him?

With that in mind, you can only imagine my dilemma when I grabbed the chance to interview EuroBasket gold medallist and star of the Russia National Team Jon Robert Holden recently.

I tried desperately to suppress any talk of ‘that basket' but in truth failed miserably. Sometimes it is just easier to accept that some people become synonymous with certain events or things in their life.

In the case of Holden of course it is an entire EuroBasket tournament. Indeed go to Spain and you might just find that in having denied Gasol and Co their first EuroBasket gold medal with 'that basket', the Spanish vocabulary had suddenly found a new swear word.

If nothing else, when mentioning ‘Holden' in Iberia, you might just get a disappointed shake of the head since Spanish eyes definitely weren't smiling back in the summer of 2007.

While the tears rained down in Spain, Holden reigned supreme. For a little further Eastwards, Russian ball fans celebrated wildly as the already decorated and well respected CSKA Moscow star was catapulted into the realms of basketball folklore.

Two years later and another EuroBasket is now looming but amazingly Holden is by no means certain to play a part - something that would be a great shame considering his exciting performances in a Russia vest during recent years.

Coach Blatt could yet hand the naturalised spot to the likes of Travis Hansen, someone he knows well from his club team Dynamo Moscow, while Holden himself might influence the decision by making himself unavailable anyway.

Either way, one thing is for certain. No matter how hard you might try, talking about EuroBasket 2007 in Spain is impossible without mentioning Jon Robert Holden and vice-versa - as I found out to my shame when I caught up with him.

FIBA Europe: Hi JR, you head for Poland later this year as holders of that gold medal. Do you think this puts more or less pressure on you to perform individually and as a team?

J.R. Holden: Honestly, I don't know if I will play this summer or not. I have played four years in a row and I am looking forward to possibly taking this summer off and spending more time with my daughter. However, it wouldn't be any pressure on us at all. We know it takes hard work and a little luck to win a Gold medal and we are prepared to do the hard work. As for me individually, I love to compete. There is no pressure playing basketball. Where I'm from, pressure is not having a job and your unsure of how your going to feed your family, pressure is not knowing if you can pay your bills to keep a roof over your head. Basketball, its just a game that I love to play, its no pressure at all.

FIBA Europe: At National Team level, what do you feel are the essential ingredients to success and winning medals and do you think there were any major or minor differences between reaching success in club and country basketball?

J.R. Holden: Essential ingredients to winning I think is team chemistry, defense and belief that you can compete and win every game. The difference between club and country basketball is club basketball you get an entire season to improve and grow as a team. Country basketball you only get a month, maybe 2 to gel as a team and compete for a medal. Country basketball has a different feel. You have all these elite players coming back from the NBA and their club teams competing for their country is amazing. Its so heartfelt and passionate. Its something I am glad I was given the opportunity to experience.

FIBA Europe: When it comes to EuroBasket you must get a real kick that your name is always the first on everybodys lips when they talk about that tournament in 2007 in Spain. In fact your contribution is what the entire tournament will always be remembered for. While we know you always give due respect to your team-mates, do you still think about it with a smile on your face or does that memory fade away?

J.R. Holden: Of course that is a very fond memory that I have. I will always treasure that tournament and what we were able to accomplish. We shocked the world! Its nice to be remembered. One day when I am done playing, I will look back and cherish all the special moments I had playing overseas. This one is definitely at the top of the list.

FIBA Europe: How much at that very top level in those medal winning situations with the game on the line is just about your instinct and how much is down to quick thinking in that moment?

J.R. Holden: I think basketball is a very instinctual game. However, in preparing to be the best player you can be, you have to be sharp mentally. When I prepare/work-out to get ready before the seasons, I do a lot of repetitive drills and other things so that when a certain situation happens in a game I have the instinct and the sharp mind to make the right move for me without hesitation. That is very important. You need both instinct and smart thinking to make good plays in crucial moments of a game.

FIBA Europe: People have spoken about this Russian National team having to evolve like any other but what do you think is the medium to long term future of the team beyond Poland this year? Also, have you got a date in your mind when you think you might hang up the sneakers - London
2012 Olympics would be nice!

J.R. Holden: Ha ha. I will probably hang up my sneakers before London 2012. I will probably play one or two more years with a club team and then I will probably hang up my dancing shoes :-). As for long-term success, I really think if Russia can keep a good core of 5-8 players together for the next 3 or 4 years that would be great. Most teams have players that have spent years and years playing together with their National Teams. I think that type of chemistry and camaraderie is priceless.

In Part 2 of our interview next week, JR reflects on the journey from College ball as a teenager to EuroBasket glory and tells us what it takes for rising stars to reach the top of their game.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_ut1AB1c4IWUUbZWQ6jG903.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html

rikhardur
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Nilsen: More With JR Holden

When it comes to watching and learning, the current crop of young players could do a lot worse than to sit down with a few game tapes of EuroBasket 2007 star JR Holden in action - whether it is for CSKA Moscow in Euroleague or for Russia on the International stage.

As with most players and even those at the top, Holden is far from flawless but there are some particularly striking dimensions to his repertoire which don't necessarily accompany every other player who has the ability.

Watch him closely and it becomes immediately apparent that as well as having talent and the all important feel for the game, he also has some pretty vital additional ingredients.

Hard work, application and a fearless approach to making decisions and taking tough shots when required are characteristics that go a long way to explaining his stellar status within the European game.

That of course is also the reason why we were discussing ‘that shot' from EuroBasket 2007 in the first part of the interview. For things of such magnitude rarely happen merely because of talent - they usually require a not so small dose of those extra factors.

Some observers have criticised Holden in the past for perhaps pushing his playmaker role to the limit by doing too much himself but you wont hear anyone in his adopted country complaining too much - or the coaches who have given him the scope to win countless games.

One look at his personal list of achievements and the fact he is due to play in yet another Euroleague Final Four with CSKA in just over a fortnight speaks volumes.
On the International stage, playing as a naturalised player for Russia has never looked a problem but only a privilege for Holden and indeed it is a role that he has clearly taken to his heart - even in times of struggle.

He nailed his colours firmly to the mast with an impressive personal effort during a disappointing Olympic tournament by the reigning European Champions scoring 19 points or more in four of his five outings in Bejiing.

However with his future at National Team level now hanging in the balance and fans having to reluctantly come to terms with the possibility of him being absent in Poland, it seemed a good time to find out more about his approach and how to survive on the big stage.

Not only that, but to also reflect on how it all started over a decade ago with a typically brave and shall we say, 'Holdenesque' decision. For after graduation from College, JR was just a few days away from looking for a "real job" before courageously taking the plunge and of course that first pivotal step towards stardom.

FIBA Europe: As a leader for your club and country and now in that ball park of being a veteran, how do you think you have changed as a player and a person since those days when you ran out in Lewisburg for the Bucknell Bison?

JR Holden: Wow, as a player and as a person I have become better and smarter. Back then I didn't know how much or what it took to really be a champion. As I got older I realized how important working hard and smart is in becoming a champion. At Bucknell I was innocent and had no clue about the business side of the game/sport. Also, I didn't have a clue that I would be a professional. All I wanted to do was play a game that I love so much. Now I know more about myself, my love for basketball and the business side of the game.

FIBA Europe: Back in the day you showed you had the guts to make a brave move from college into the unknown of Latvia to try and carve out a pro-career. Was that the best decision you ever made and do you think you are proof that going out of your comfort zone and showing that kind of mental toughness is important?

JR Holden: I wouldn't say its the best move I ever made but it was definitely very important. It was my step towards where I am today so it was definitely monumental for me. However, I think every decision I made early in my career was very important and significant to where I am today. Yes, I think you have to have a mental toughness in order to play in some countries and at that time Latvia isn't like it is today. You have to believe in yourself and sacrifice some things in order to be successful and this was a part of my sacrifice.

FIBA Europe: I guess that when you grew up in the States you maybe had posters of your favourite players on your wall? Who were they of and do you ever think about how now, half way across the world, kids in Moscow have your poster on their walls. Quite a journey and turnaround in the situation?

JR Holden: Well, as a kid, I loved Kenny Anderson, the Fab Five (Jalen Rose big time), and Isaiah Thomas. Those players and many more were all over my wall. Just thinking about a kid having my picture on their wall is a blessing and truly a humble feeling. I am very thankful for everything that I have been blessed to accomplish. Its truly humbling for me, especially coming from where I am from.

FIBA Europe: You have National team tournaments, Euroleague with CSKA and also the Russian Super league - quite a schedule for any player. A young guy with talent approaches you for your advice. What do you tell him about surviving at the top in all of these big competitions?

JR Holden: I would say the summer time is very important. You have to work-out in the summer time to become a better player. That time is important for your physical and mental growth and you will need them both to play at the top level. It should be fun as well. The regular season is stressful enough. The summer time should be about you getting better and having some fun with the game.

FIBA Europe: How do you approach playing in big tournaments like EuroBasket in terms of how close the games come together and how many games you might play in a couple of weeks? Can you take your foot off the gas and contain yourself or is it always flat out and see how the body and mind hold up?

JR Holden: Honestly, I approach every game and tournament the same. You have to go all out and try to play your best. When you try to cruise or take off, that is how you get beat or get hurt. I just try to focus on that one game no matter how many games we may play in a small amount of time. That is why preparation is so important. You have to be in shape and ready to compete at a high level before the games begin.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_KRhN9I3XGXQ65-rpFoHpU2.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html

vaslover
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Current european champion gave wide list of candidates for Eurobasket,09:

PG/SG: 1) JR Holden (CSKA); 2) Victor Keyru (CSKA); 3) Alexei Shved (CSKA); 4) Sergei Bikov (Dinamo); 5) Dmitriy Khvostov (Dinamo); 6) Travis Hansen (Dinamo); 7) Anton Ponkrashov (Khimki); 8) Vitaliy Fridzon (Khimki); 9) Pavel Sergeev (Triumph); 10) Egor Vyaltsev (Triumph); 11) Andrey Zazulin (Spartak St-Pet); 12) Andrey Matejunas ???:) ;) (Avtodor)

SF/PF: 13) Andrey Kirilenko ( Utah Jazz); 14) Fedor Dmitriev (Triumph); 15) Sergey Toporov (Triumph); 16) Vadim Panin (Triumph); 17) Valeriy Lihodey (Triumph); 18) Victor Khryapa (CSKa); 19) Andrey Vorontsevich (CSKA); 20) Sergey Monya (Dinamo); 21) Juriy Vasiliev (Dinamo); 22) Nikita Kurbanov (Spartak St-Pet); 23) Alexey Surovtsev (Ural-Great); 24) Petr Gubanov (Universitet)

C: 25) Alexandr Kaun (CSKA); 26) Timofey Mozgov (Khimki); 27) Alexey Savrasenko (Spartak St-Pet)

Link to: sport-express.ru, bctriumph.ru

However, as reported press-office of RFB, given list with candidates is not official yet.

vaslover
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Quite unpleasant news about Russian NT. The president of RFB Sergey Chernov said to "Sovetskiy sport" that two leaders of Russian NT Andrey Kirilenko and John Robert Holden most probably will miss EURO 2009...
Andrey Kirilenko just said that he has "personal reasons" (wtf ?.. :confused:)to miss Euro. Also he added, that new leader must appearing in Russian NT. ( We can only guess who it would be. Especially considering our "abundance" of top class players...)
As for JR Holden, it is known that in summer he wants to take rest with his daughter and mr. Chernov doesn,t want to compel him to play for our NT necessarily. Because he has great merits in the face of russian basketball.
P.s. Guys, i,m feeling really heaviness now. Such feelings, that severe days can come...

Billy Bounce
05-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Also he added, that new leader must appear in Russian NT. ( We can only guess who it would be. Especially considering our "abundance" of top class players...)

There are many top class Russian players : Kryapa, Mozgov, Savrasenko just to name the few, not to mention that Travis Hensen & Kelly McCarty may play for your NT as well

rikhardur
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
A Kirilenko No-Show At EuroBasket Is Possible

An unspecified "family issue" for Andrei Kirilenko could prevent the superstar forward from competing at this summer's EuroBasket in Poland for defending champions Russia.

Kirilenko, the EuroBasket 2007 MVP, is back in his homeland after playing in the NBA with the Utah Jazz and he has cast doubt on his appearance when the Russians go for gold again in September.

Russia Basketball Federation president Sergey Chernov and national team coach David Blatt clearly want Kirilenko in Poland but the player said to Soviet Sport: "Chernov personally came over to the U.S. to discuss this with me."

"I won't be hiding it, really for family reasons, that I can't help my team in Poland. I can't tell you why, though."

Kirilenko, 28, then left the door slightly ajar.

"Still, there's a slim chance I'll be able to make it," he said.

It's hard to imagine a Russian side winning the title without the 2.09m forward Kirilenko, a player who did a little bit of everything in Spain when Blatt's team surprised everyone with a gold-medal finish.

He scores from all over the court, rebounds, comes up with steals and blocks shots.

The experienced Kirilenko is also the captain.

If he doesn't show up, that would force Blatt to come up with a replacement.

When asked his opinion on who would be a good candidate to serve as captain, Kirilenko said he is not ready to offer an opinion.

Instead, he reiterated that when September comes around, something could happen that would allow him to play for Russia again and if that were to happen, he would not show up in Poland lacking fitness.

"I practice on an individual schedule," he said. "I'm staying in shape so that at any moment I can be ready to help the team."

Russia could have another big void to fill with point guard JR Holden having so far not committed to playing. Travis Hansen is a naturalized Russian who has played for Blatt at Dynamo Moscow and has been linked with the national team.

There is speculation that another former Blatt player, forward Kelly McCarty, could take up the naturalized spot.

The 33-year-old McCarty was one of the lynchpins in Blatt's Dynamo St Petersburg team that went undefeated in the FIBA Europe League in 2005. He is currently in the Russian Superleague championship series playing for BC Khimki against CSKA Moscow.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_PNFULyRbIBULNp5VPYev81.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html

Markoishvili
05-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Current european champion gave wide list of candidates for Eurobasket,09:

PG/SG: 1) JR Holden (CSKA); 2) Victor Keyru (CSKA); 3) Alexei Shved (CSKA); 4) Sergei Bikov (Dinamo); 5) Dmitriy Khvostov (Dinamo); 6) Travis Hansen (Dinamo); 7) Anton Ponkrashov (Khimki); 8) Vitaliy Fridzon (Khimki); 9) Pavel Sergeev (Triumph); 10) Egor Vyaltsev (Triumph); 11) Andrey Zazulin (Spartak St-Pet); 12) Andrey Matejunas ???:) ;) (Avtodor)

SF/PF: 13) Andrey Kirilenko ( Utah Jazz); 14) Fedor Dmitriev (Triumph); 15) Sergey Toporov (Triumph); 16) Vadim Panin (Triumph); 17) Valeriy Lihodey (Triumph); 18) Victor Khryapa (CSKa); 19) Andrey Vorontsevich (CSKA); 20) Sergey Monya (Dinamo); 21) Juriy Vasiliev (Dinamo); 22) Nikita Kurbanov (Spartak St-Pet); 23) Alexey Surovtsev (Ural-Great); 24) Petr Gubanov (Universitet)

C: 25) Alexandr Kaun (CSKA); 26) Timofey Mozgov (Khimki); 27) Alexey Savrasenko (Spartak St-Pet)

Link to: sport-express.ru, bctriumph.ru

However, as reported press-office of RFB, given list with candidates is not official yet.

Why Fedor Likholitov is not on the list considering other options at the PF position?

pohani komarac
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Quite unpleasant news about Russian NT. The president of RFB Sergey Chernov said to "Sovetskiy sport" that two leaders of Russian NT Andrey Kirilenko and John Robert Holden most probably will miss EURO 2009...
Andrey Kirilenko just said that he has "personal reasons" (wtf ?.. :confused:)to miss Euro. Also he added, that new leader must appearing in Russian NT. ( We can only guess who it would be. Especially considering our "abundance" of top class players...)
As for JR Holden, it is known that in summer he wants to take rest with his daughter and mr. Chernov doesn,t want to compel him to play for our NT necessarily. Because he has great merits in the face of russian basketball.
P.s. Guys, i,m feeling really heaviness now. Such feelings, that severe days can come...

Welcome abord:mad: It such shame what basketball become. Basketball is leader in players skiping NT duties. That is such tragedy:mad:

vaslover
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Why Fedor Likholitov is not on the list considering other options at the PF position?

President of RFB Sergey Chernov just said yesterday, that :"it,s time for our young centers ( Mozgov, Kaun, Sokolov respectively) to prove that all of them can play on highest level." Btw, for the same reason as mentioned by you Fedor Likholitov, other our top center Alexey Savrasenko wouldn,t play as well perhaps... At least Chernov said, that he,s not sure AT ALL about Savrasenko future in Russian NT.
P.s. Fresh blood is needed, but three not battle-hardened players in such high level as Eurobasket... I suppose it,s a little bit abnormal decision for now.

vaslover
05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Welcome abord:mad: It such shame what basketball become. Basketball is leader in players skiping NT duties. That is such tragedy:mad:

Yes, i agree with you. But what we can do in this situation. Nothing. And don,t forget that our Andrey has a wife which more senior than him on 7 years... EDIPO COMPLEX, what can i say else...
P.s. Anyway, i respect him, because he did TOO MUCH for our basketball. Without him our NT is nothing. At least now.

rikhardur
05-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Mozgov out for at least 5 months will miss Eurobasket :(

Migelitas
05-23-2009, 06:55 PM

I think you meant Morgunov, who underwent a surgery.

[You're absolutely right Migelitas, I misread it. Good it's not Mozgov then :p rikhardur]

vaslover
05-23-2009, 11:44 PM

C,mon man, don,t FRIGHTEN me!!! :eek: :)

rikhardur
05-23-2009, 11:50 PM
C,mon man, don,t FRIGHTEN me!!! :eek: :)
I frightened myself as well :D

Khalid80
05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
"David Blatt invites 15 players to training camp (by Eurobasket News)

David Blatt announced the list of 15 players that would participate in the first training session of the Russian National Team. The first training camp is scheduled to take place in Novogorsk on June 15 through 25. The National team will start preparations for the upcoming EuroBasket 2009.
The list of players is as follows:

Fedor Dmitriev (205-F-84) (Triumph), Valeri Likhodey (203-F-86) (Triumph), Andrey Vorontsevich (204-C-87) (CSKA), Yuri Vasilyev (207-C-81) (Dynamo Moscow), Nikita Kurbanov (202-F-86) (Spartak Saint Petersburg), Petr Gubanov (207-C-87) (Universitet-Yugra), Sasha Kaun (211-C-85) (CSKA), Timofey Mozgov (215-C-86) (Khimky), Dmitry Sokolov (212-C-85, agency: Agency No 10) (Unics), Pavel Sergeev (187-G-87) (Triumph), Egor Vyaltsev (190-G-85) (Triumph), Vadim Panin (203-G-84) (Triumph), Victor Keyru (200-G-84, agency: Octagon) (CSKA), Alexey Shved (196-G-88) (CSKA), Andrey Mateyunas (180-G-88) (Avtodor).

David Blatt is going to invite all the major players to the second training camp that will take place in Novogorsk from July 22 to August 3. Russia plans to travel to Slovenia, Bulgaria, Greece and Lithuania for friendly warm-ups before the main event of the year".

goga78
06-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Out of this group he will chose some fill-in players. As you have certainly realized, none of the stars is on this roster. Neither Kirilenko or Holden/Hansen/McCarthy or Khryapa. Also, no Fridzon, Ponkrashov, Monya and a couple of others. I expect Mozgov to make the roster. The rest will have to fight for its place. I also expect Savrasenko to be out of this roster but right now it is too early to tell.

rikhardur
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Out of this group he will chose some fill-in players. As you have certainly realized, none of the stars is on this roster. Neither Kirilenko or Holden/Hansen/McCarthy or Khryapa. Also, no Fridzon, Ponkrashov, Monya and a couple of others. I expect Mozgov to make the roster. The rest will have to fight for its place. I also expect Savrasenko to be out of this roster but right now it is too early to tell.
Mozgov is in for sure, it'd be a crime not to put him in. As ford Hansen or McCarthy I think there are still ongoing talks. I didn't know Khryapa was out, one more problem for Blatt.

Billy Bounce
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Mozgov is in for sure, it'd be a crime not to put him in. As ford Hansen or McCarthy I think there are still ongoing talks. I didn't know Khryapa was out, one more problem for Blatt.

Khryapa is in, at least for the time being. Blatt doesn't need to test Khryapa skills in this training camp , he's in by default .

Migelitas
06-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Also, no Fridzon, Ponkrashov, Monya and a couple of others.

Blatt just made some corrections and both of them are members of the first training camp.

Billy Bounce
06-04-2009, 12:30 PM
David Blatt said in his interview (http://translate.google.co.il/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.sport-express.ru%2Fonline%2Fntext%2F30%2Fnl305101.html&sl=ru&tl=en&history_state0=):

Hansen has no desire to play for Russian NT, on the other hand Kelly McCarthy is willing to play, so it's almost sure that McCarthy will play.

arturcia
06-08-2009, 06:01 AM
sorry, guys, but russia have no chances to defend their title without kirilonko and holden. it will be miracle if russia will be in first 6.

kecal
06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
12) Andrey Matejunas ???:) ;) (Avtodor)

Who is he? I have never heard about him before. :o Was he born in Russia? His surname definitely sounds soo Lithuanian to me...

Migelitas
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Who is he? I have never heard about him before. :o Was he born in Russia? His surname definitely sounds soo Lithuanian to me...
I think I have posted this link (http://www.basketnews.lt/news-5561.html) twenty times in couple of months. Still here you are.

Billy Bounce
07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
David Blatt has published an extended (18 players) list for Russian NT

Guards: Fridzon, Ponkrashov, Keyru, Shved, Bykov, Vyaltsev,Zozulin

Forwards: Kirilenko, Chryapa, Voronzevich, Monya, Kurbanov, Kelly McCarty

Centers: Kaun, Mozgov, Sokolov, Gubanov

Naturalized spot will be occupied by Kelly McCarty instead of JR Holden.

What positions he can cover ? Can he play as SG ?

AirBall
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Andrei Kirilenko has arrived in Novogorsk on preparations for Eurobasket

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-268487.html

Straight forward
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Damn, still very decent roster! I think I underrated them a bit. This team is young but very dangerous. Any team can experience a nightmare against Russia when Kirilenko and Khriapa controls the glass and their atlethicism can't be stopped one particular night. The weakest position would be centers I guess.

rikhardur
07-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Andrei Kirilenko has arrived in Novogorsk on preparations for Eurobasket

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-268487.html
So he'll play :confused:

Mindozas
07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
So he'll play :confused:

The answer to this question I'd like to now too. Cause about two weeks ago he stated that his chances to play are only theoretical due personal reasons and if he would join the NT it would be most probably only before EC or smth. And now such news out of nowhere :confused: However in article isn't written that he'll play, just that he is in Novogorsk with other players, so it might be that he just came to visit teammates, to talk with Blatt or smth. I'd guess we'll know about the real situation soon

auris1
07-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I don’t believe they will be contenders this time around-with or without Kirilenko. Not this year. Having said that I recon they will be a force to consider in years to come - as always .But don’t get me wrong – they still should be able to cause an upset – I predict quarterfinals at most with one upset win

Mindozas
07-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Khriapa named as new captain of NT (http://www.cskabasket.com/news/?a=news&id=6999) and seems like news about Kirilenko was fake, however there are still chances that he'll play, as he said previously, it equals about 5%

Mindozas
07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
OK, case is closed with Kirilenko, he confirmed (http://english.sport-express.ru/news/13_3828/) that he won't play in EC

rikhardur
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
OK, case is closed with Kirilenko, he confirmed (http://english.sport-express.ru/news/13_3828/) that he won't play in EC
Yeah Blatt confirmed it too.

Billy Bounce
07-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Kinda bizarre news:

David Blatt is trying to arrange Russian citizenship to Doron Perkins (PG, ex Maccabi Haifa ) :eek:

The Russian BBL federation is in a hurry to arrange it really quick, so Perkins might be able to play for Russian NT @ Eurobasket 2009

Mindozas
08-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Kinda bizarre news:

David Blatt is trying to arrange Russian citizenship to Doron Perkins (PG, ex Maccabi Haifa ) :eek:

The Russian BBL federation is in a hurry to arrange it really quick, so Perkins might be able to play for Russian NT @ Eurobasket 2009

I don't believe it, maybe a month ago or smth it would make sense, when Hansen and McCarthy rejected the offer to play in russian NT, but after long talks with McCarthy and tryin' to bring him into squad, he finally agreed and arrived just few days ago in training camp, now they'll try to sign smth new in one naturalized player place? :confused: doesn't make sense, but we'll see ;)

Billy Bounce
08-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't believe it, maybe a month ago or smth it would make sense, when Hansen and McCarthy rejected the offer to play in Russian NT, but after long talks with McCarthy and tryin' to bring him into squad, he finally agreed and arrived just few days ago in training camp, now they'll try to sign somebody new in one naturalized player place? :confused: doesn't make sense, but we'll see ;)

Does it make sense to replace McCarthy with Perkins ? Basketball-wise, on Blatt's place I would jump with both hands on Perkins : Russian squad is kinda overloaded at SG/SF , but there is a black hole @ PG position. And Perkins is a hell of PG

You can see his performances here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsbU8nbvdGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAKNNmThEY

Actually bringing Perkins may be the difference between qualifying for WC or not.

Of course there is a human factor : McCarthy probably won't be happy being out of the team ( it may well be the opposite, he would prefer spending summertime on Miami beaches then sweating in Poland :p ). There is also a factor that Perkins' sudden arrival may ruin team chemistry: nobody knows him and he never played with Russians before.

On account of the chances of Perkins getting the passport before Eurobasket , I don't think that they are too low. The way I've heard, in Russia one can pass all the bureaucracy by a direct president decree or smth like that, and get a passport in a week or so.

BTW, interview with Blatt : http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/340472

Mindozas
08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Does it make sense to replace McCarthy with Perkins ? Basketball-wise, on Blatt's place I would jump with both hands on Perkins : Russian squad is kinda overloaded at SG/SF , but there is a black hole @ PG position. And Perkins is a hell of PG

You can see his performances here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsbU8nbvdGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAKNNmThEY

Actually bringing Perkins may be the difference between qualifying for WC or not.

Of course there is a human factor : McCarthy probably won't be happy being out of the team ( it may well be the opposite, he would prefer spending summertime on Miami beaches then sweating in Poland :p ). There is also a factor that Perkins' sudden arrival may ruin team chemistry: nobody knows him and he never played with Russians before.

On account of the chances of Perkins getting the passport before Eurobasket , I don't think that they are too low. The way I've heard, in Russia one can pass all the bureaucracy by a direct president decree or smth like that, and get a passport in a week or so.

BTW, interview with Blatt : http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/340472

OK, now I see that it's serious, but anyway it's like a spit into face to McCarthy. It's quite obvious that he is now needed only if Perkins won't get his russian passport till EC. If I were in his shoes, I'd take my stuff and leave.
Regarding PG spot you're right, it's a hole since JR left and as is said in interview with Shirokov they are lookin' to a future too, cause Perkins is only 26, while McCarthy is 33 or smth.
Anyway this new was totally unexpected :) I didn't see Perkins playin', so I can't make fair judgement, but IMO Russia takes a risk here, cause McCarthy already proved himself as great player in Superleague and Europe, while hard to say what to expect from Perkins

Simonas123
08-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I hate this bringing foreign players in your NT thing, I mean why doesn't FIBA ban this?.. If a players grandfather is Russian - I have nothing against him playing for Russia. But these things should not be tolerated as - at least for me - the International competitions are battles of different basketball schools, different styles. This makes a joke from International b-ball...

Billy Bounce
08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
OK, now I see that it's serious, but anyway it's like a spit into face to McCarthy. It's quite obvious that he is now needed only if Perkins won't get his Russian passport till EC. If I were in his shoes, I'd take my stuff and leave.
Regarding PG spot you're right, it's a hole since JR left and as is said in interview with Shirokov they are lookin' to a future too, cause Perkins is only 26, while McCarthy is 33 or smth.
Anyway this new was totally unexpected :) I didn't see Perkins playin', so I can't make fair judgment, but IMO Russia takes a risk here, cause McCarthy already proved himself as great player in Superleague and Europe, while hard to say what to expect from Perkins

Come on, "split in the face" ? :p Blatt and McCarthy are buddies from 1999, the time McCarthy played at Maccabi Rishon. Blatt was the man who brought him to Russia.

As you say McCarthy is 33 and plays Euroleague+Superleague+Russian Cup+VTB next season, so I guess he need a rest more then to get some exposure at Eurobasket . ;)

On the value of Perkins : of course he's not JR level PG, but he's quick, athletic fella who can score off the dribble from virtually any place . Sees the court rather well, deadly in open court, plays defense ( check his steals stats ) . Not selfish most of the time, but sometimes he kinda locks on the target .

You can check his plays in youtube links I gave above.

Billy Bounce
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Starting to Feel a Little Russian

Doron Perkins is excited. The 26-year-old point guard who grew up in Alaska, played his college basketball at Santa Clara, and is currently living in Las Vegas.

Check his passport, and it will tell you he's American. He is on the phone, giddy with excitement that he's going to play for his country.

"Not a lot of people get the opportunity to play for their national team," he says. "To play in the Olympics, or the World Championships, it's a very special opportunity. I just hope I play well and hold up my end of the deal. It would be great to be on this team for a long time."

There isn't even money in it.

"It's mainly like a volunteer type of job, you know? You go there, you're just there to represent your country. I'm sure they'll take care of little things. But mainly you're just there to play and represent your country."

The only thing is, it's not his country.

Like Becky Hammon and J.R. Holden before him, Doron Perkins is just about to become Russian.

He's flying out early next week.

International Player
In pursuing his professional basketball dreams, Perkins has played just about everywhere but the United States, including Japan, Belgium, Germany and Israel. (Does he speak all those languages? Not exactly. "I know a couple words," he admits, "but I couldn't put together a sentence in any language except English. ... If I'm in Russia for more than one year, I'll definitely learn.")

After learning Holden would be taking time away from the Russian national team, the Russian team's American/Israeli coach David Blatt contacted Perkins about joining the Russian team. Perkins was thrilled for a few different reasons.

The first was the opportunity to play in an elite international setting.

The second was the boost a Russian passport can give to an American basketball player's earning power.

Many of the world's professional basketball leagues have rules to prevent imported Americans from taking over. In some leagues, teams are allowed only a limited number of foreign players. And in Russia, for instance, there are rules that two Russians must be on the floor for each team at every moment. The idea is to give a special opportunity to those young players who grew up in Russia.

Or, I guess, Alaska.

The long and short of it is that history has shown that when they get foreign passports, U.S. players have a healthy track record of improving their earnings. Knowing this opportunity was in the cards, Perkins and his agent have purposefully put off signing a contract for the upcoming season, knowing that with a Russian passport he'll be more valuable. And the paperwork could be done in a matter of weeks: The national team has told Perkins to be ready for the Eurobasket tournament in early September in Poland.

Backlash?
What about Americans who will be bitter at Perkins for being a mercenary? What about people who think people on national teams should be, you know, from that country?

Won't he be hearing from angry people about this new job of his?

"I don't expect that at all," he says. For one thing, Perkins has already run the idea by some former American military people, including his mom. "She's all for it," he says. "She's 100% in my corner on this one."

And besides, he points out, "it's not like I was going to get an invite to be on the Dream Team. This was my only opportunity to be on a national team."

Those who would criticize Perkins for this, he feels, don't really understand all that it means to him: "If you don't take this opportunity," he says, "you'll probably miss out on a lot of things you'll probably never ever come across."

But picture the scene: The star-spangled banner is playing at the 2012 Olympics in London, and Perkins, a child of Alaska, is on the other team? "It wouldn't be weird for me at all," he swears. "It would be a blessing to play against some of the best players in the world."

The uniform he's wearing when that happens ... that's just not what he's focused on.

The Russian coach is happy. Perkins is happy. The American team has the players it wants ... Who could complain? Perkins doesn't know who.

"So," he says. "I guess I'm representing Russia."

src: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-142/Starting-to-Feel-a-Little-Russian.html

Picek
08-06-2009, 04:08 AM
they played it's first friendly in Slovenia
won against Macedonia 74-68

anyone with some stats? scorers atleast?

Billy Bounce
08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Doron Perkins will join the Russian squad in Novgorodsk ( Russia ) from 12.08

Currently the schedule is

05.08 vs. Macedonia ( Kranska Gora, Slovenia )
10.08 vs. Slovenia ( Ljubljana, Slovenia )
11.08 vs. Slovenia ( Novo Mesto, Slovenia )
12.08 - 15.08 Training Camp ( Novgorodsk , Russia )
17.08 - 18.08 vs. Bulgaria ( Sofia, Bulgaria )
24.08 vs. Lithuania ( Athens , Greece )
25.08 vs. Greece( Athens , Greece )
26.08 vs. Serbia ( Athens , Greece )
31.08 vs. Lithuania ( Panevėžys, Lithuania)

src: http://news.sport-express.ru/2009-08-05/314448/

Picek
08-09-2009, 06:06 PM
where are Mozgov and Kaun?
they are not on the list of players against Slovenia in tonights game?
nevermind, I guess slovenian tv wasn't prepared for so many players so the couldn't put those two..
or atleast Kaun, 'cause he is on the field..

Billy Bounce
08-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Vice president of Russian Basketball Federation Shirokov said that they will not start Perkins naturalization in the near time. The process of naturalization may start after 2 IFs : if Perkins will join some Russian club ( rumors tie him to Spartak St. Peterburg) and if he will prove himself in a Russian league

src: http://basketball.sport-express.ru/reviews/833/

Funny enough that matches with Slovenia showed that PG position is indeed Achilles' heel of the team :rolleyes:

AirBall
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
David Blatt has cut 2 more players. Zozulin and Keiru wont stay with team

diogU
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
David Blatt has cut 2 more players. Zozulin and Keiru wont stay with team

Yes, but Zozulin may come back if he is on time with his recovering (he has upper arm injury). Blatt prefers him to Vyaltsev, Keyru and maybe even Fridzon and that is quite strange.

Picek
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
yesterday Russia lost to Bulgaria with Kaloyan Ivanov's buzzer beater, score was 88-89..
today they destroyed the bulgarians 89-62--
adding that to the victory against Slovenia I'm starting to think that we all counted them out too soon..
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/939/00/94/85/48Rv0lnubt6/
take a look at Khryapa's assist number..

Alyosha12
08-18-2009, 06:42 PM
yesterday Russia lost to Bulgaria with Kaloyan Ivanov's buzzer beater, score was 88-89..
today they destroyed the bulgarians 89-62--
adding that to the victory against Slovenia I'm starting to think that we all counted them out too soon..
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/939/00/94/85/48Rv0lnubt6/
take a look at Khryapa's assist number..

What i saw from Russia and i watched both games against Slovenia is that they are a huge team, i mean strong physical, they don't shy away from contact. They play tough defense, and are well covered on every position.

Their defense will give a lot of teams problems especially the teams that have an off shooting night, because penetrating against them or scoring in the paint is very hard due to the fact that any player even the perimeter ones can go in the paint and assist their bigs due to their big size.
Their weakness however is they lack a true PG and they don't have a true go to guy under the basket

wardjdim
08-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Actually, no offense but Shved has done pretty well in both games vs Bulgaria. Although he always overhypes himself in a game following a good performance and takes more shots than necessary, he is pretty impressive for a 20-yr old without any playing time in his club. He could be the key guy from the perimeter, but he is of course still unreliable when it comes to decision making

Alyosha12
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Actually, no offense but Shved has done pretty well in both games vs Bulgaria. Although he always overhypes himself in a game following a good performance and takes more shots than necessary, he is pretty impressive for a 20-yr old without any playing time in his club. He could be the key guy from the perimeter, but he is of course still unreliable when it comes to decision making

I wish Olimpija would make an offer to CSKA for Shved to lend him to us:o

Oh btw about Russia i could only comment on Russia from what i saw against Slovenia, and Shved didn't play.:)

wardjdim
08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh btw about Russia i could only comment on Russia from what i saw against Slovenia, and Shved didn't play.:)
I remember :)

I was cursing Blatt all the time, as I was watching both games and was very impatient :D

Picek
08-26-2009, 07:52 AM
anyone knows anything about Khryapa's knee testing results?
he didn't play against Greece yesterday because he hurt his knee against Lithuania..
apparently he has been sent back to Moscow for recovery but there is no official confirmation of that.

diogU
08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
according to Greek physo, Khryapa is expected to be back in training within 5-7 days. And hopefully, Viktor is not under the threat of missing the Euro

sashikas
08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
anyone knows anything about Khryapa's knee testing results?
he didn't play against Greece yesterday because he hurt his knee against Lithuania..
apparently he has been sent back to Moscow for recovery but there is no official confirmation of that.

I also have seen only unofficial claims in basketball.ru forums, that he is out for 3-4 days.

diogU
08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I also have seen only unofficial claims in basketball.ru forums, that he is out for 3-4 days.

check this article (http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/344178), Sashikas.

sashikas
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
check this article (http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/344178), Sashikas.

So the diagnosis is official - strained minor knee ligaments and no basketball for at least five days

AirBall
08-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Khrypa most probably will miss Eurobasket

He wont be able to practice for at least 2-3 weeks

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-294163.html

Mindozas
08-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Khrypa most probably will miss Eurobasket

He wont be able to practice for at least 2-3 weeks

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-294163.html

Well 2-3 weeks from 24th of August, it means that he might be ready from the start and somehow I'm sure that he will ;)

AirBall
08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
According to the last news Khryapa wont play in 1st stage of Eurobasket

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-294763.html

Since today Blatt counts again on Vasylev...

rikhardur
08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe I missed it, but was Savrasenko left out?

Mindozas
09-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Maybe I missed it, but was Savrasenko left out?

Yes, he even wasn't called to NT's camps. Russia is preparing for 2011/2012, so they decided to renew the team, to give some youngsters a chance (like Kaun, Mozgov)

diogU
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM
According to the last news Khryapa wont play in 1st stage of Eurobasket

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-294763.html

Since today Blatt counts again on Vasylev...

...only to cut both him and Shved just one day later. At the same time Fedor Dmitriev was invited to cover the possible loss of Khryapa while Zozulin is coming back after recovering from upper arm injury. So, now our exceptional roster stands at 14:

PG/SG Ponkrashov
SG/PG Bykov

SG/SF/PG Zozulin
SG Fridzon
SG/PG Vyaltsev

SF Monya
SF/SG McCarty
SF/PF Kurbanov

SF/PF Khryapa
PF/SF Vorontsevich
PF Dmitriev

C Kaun
C Mozgov
C Sokolov

Billy Bounce
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Kaun and Khryapa are injured (at least for the present time) , so the 12 men roster looks like:

PG/SG Ponkrashov
SG/PG Bykov

SG/SF/PG Zozulin
SG Fridzon
SG/PG Vyaltsev

SF Monya
SF/SG McCarty
SF/PF Kurbanov

PF/SF Vorontsevich
PF Dmitriev

C Mozgov
C Sokolov

Srle
09-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Russia is screwed .Very big losses in Khryapa and Kaun.

ArkadiosV2
09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Kaun is 100% out. Khryapa 90% out.

Mozgov will be top rebounder of the tournament (in 1st group phase at least).

AirBall
09-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Khryapa is officialy out

http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-300655.html

ArkadiosV2
09-23-2009, 10:39 PM

rikhardur
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
RUS – Blatt hopes Russia receive wild card for Turkey

KATOWICE (2010 FIBA World Championship) – The mood in Russian basketball is nowhere near as upbeat as two years ago, when Andrei Kirilenko, JR Holden and Viktor Khryapa spearheaded an unlikely run to the EuroBasket gold medal in Spain.

All three were absent this year and Russia finished seventh, thus missing out on qualification for next year’s FIBA World Championship in Turkey by just one place.

Russia coach David Blatt knows that four wild cards are to be handed out by FIBA in December, and he’s hoping that his team receives one.

“I’m relatively apolitical,” Blatt said.

“I don’t get behind decisions of that nature. I don’t know how the process works. If we are talking about merit, for another team in Europe to be represented, traditionally, historically, there aren’t many better teams to choose than us.

“The performance my team gave this year was more than admirable.

“I honestly think it will be a crime if we don’t get it. I hope it’s not a political decision.”
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/34418/arti.html

Billy Bounce
10-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Blatt extended his contract with Russian NT

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3785183,00.html

Srle
10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Good move by Russian federation.Blatt is a great great coach.

Wu-Tang
12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Strong frontcourt, especially at C:

Kaun, Mozgov, Savrasenko
Khryapa, Mccarthy, Vorontsevich
Kirilenko, Monya
Ponkrasov
Bykov

Blatt

rikhardur
12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
RUS – AK47 juiced up, ready to go after Russia get wild card

SALT LAKE CITY (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Russia got the wild card they craved.

Now Andrei Kirilenko and his teammates are hell-bent on reminding people of their gold-medal success at EuroBasket 2007 when they run onto the floor at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

The Russians want their people to forget the 2008 Olympics, when Kirilenko and Co failed to reach the Quarter-Finals.

In the Preliminary Round, Russia will take on Greece, hosts Turkey, Puerto Rico, China and the Ivory Coast in Group C, with the games to be played in Ankara.

"We're going to Turkey! I'm super happy!" wrote Kirilenko in his sport.ru blog from Utah, where he is playing with the NBA’s Jazz.

"This will be an exciting time for me, for friends, for the country.

"We are a young, progressive team, and for many of them the FIBA World Championship will be their first serious test."

Lithuania, Germany and Lebanon received the other three wild cards.

Kirilenko, who didn't play at the EuroBasket in Poland this year because of the need for he and his wife to be fully concentrated on adopting a baby girl in Russia, aims to make the most of his return.

"Turkey will be an interesting tournament, because all the European teams added to Argentina and America (United States), who will undoubtedly be the favorite,” he said.

"I am glad for the Lithuanians, glad that they, too, will go...

"So the championship should now be very colorful. I understand after the failure at the Olympics that a better result is expected (of us), so we will try ...

"I am looking forward to next summer."

As for Team USA, Kirilenko says they shouldn’t have to make any alterations to the squad that won the gold medal at the Olympics. Even if Kobe Bryant weren’t be able to go to Turkey, Kirilenko said: "This group wouldn't be greatly diminished."

"In short, we will be prepared," he said.

"Many Russians will come to support us, which is important to us so we will feel almost like home. So, friends, order (ticket) vouchers."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/37917/arti.html

Billy Bounce
12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Here (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/kirilenko/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhiKgO6h9FSuAQcKNm8jDPqR3S4dwQ) is Kirilenko's blog entry that was cited above.

Usually his wife writes her "girlish" stuff there, so it hardly worth to be checked , but this time it looks AK47 wrote the entry by himself. :cool:

felix_r
07-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Kirilenko said he will not play with Russian NT at WC this summer.

rikhardur
07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Kirilenko said he will not play with Russian NT at WC this summer.
Is that final? Last thing I heard he was doubtful.

auris1
07-14-2010, 07:59 PM
he will not be playing,100 percent.
http://basketball.sport-express.ru/reviews/6783
will translate in a minute

[Thanks auris1. rikhardur]

Billy Bounce
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM

He said it himself in his last interview. Adding that his buddy Khryapa used some foul word responding to his decision :D

auris1
07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
rough translation-
Last year they in Utah were happy in my pre season shape –i was in decent physical shape and decent weight.Until i got injured, the season was excellent for me.This year we came to conclusion ,that i would have to sacrifice 2010 Turkey as well.It was very difficult decision for me,and that's the only interview there will be for me explain myself.
Utah arguments - my injury,in my good shape before last season.They only recommended me to miss,final decision was up to me.But i had to respect the club.I get paid,and during the years they invested in me big money.My duty is to help the club.
First conversation with utah -right after the end of the season we had a meeting where the club asked about our plans.Spoke to jerry -he said,we always respected players wishes,but(see above)...But i am still recuperating from injury.
Last year in utah on your contact - how big was the influence? yes it was,you never know. all the clubs in NBA have very similar attitude - Gasol,Parker,Nowitcki,,Ginobli...
Your refusal will get big resonance in Russia -are you aware of that?I do understand.Especially from supporters point of view.I would do the same.I do not like the situation myself,but...but i have duty(to utah)/
people will say you are traitor - some people will get my decision ,some dont.Never said a bad word about NT.But two years in a row(circumstances)
Your first reaction after you took decision?Regret.But after i realised i took the right decision.
Who knows ? Only Chriapa,who is on holiday with me in France.
What did he say? Only one word i do not dare to repeat.
etc
Next year you will be out of the contract -new obstacle to play for NT?
No way - i will choose NT.You can always sign the contract anyway,like just before euro 2011.

rikhardur
07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Next year you will be out of the contract -new obstacle to play for NT?
No way - i will choose NT.You can always sign the contract anyway,like just before euro 2011.
Well it's hard to believe him now :o We'll see.
What about Kaun? Did he say anything about joining? Mozgov?

Russia with the following players so far:

G: Sergei Bykov, Vitaly Fridzon, Alexey Shved, Alexey Zozulin, Evgeny Voronov, Dmitry Khvostov, Maxim Grigoriev, Viktor Zvarykin, Evgeny Kolesnikov.
F: Sergei Monya, Andrei Vorontsevich, Nikita Kurbanov, Ivan Nelyubov.
C: Alexey Zhukanenko y Gregory Shukhovtsev

Mindozas
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Well it's hard to believe him now :o We'll see.
What about Kaun? Did he say anything about joining? Mozgov?

They'll join NT camp little bit later, both still in USA

tdjakes
07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
They'll join NT camp little bit later, both still in USA

Sasha Kaun just got married this summer in the U.S. - maybe he's still on honeymoon.

Billy Bounce
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Holden is officially out of WC2010
http://basketball.sport-express.ru/reviews/7023/

CKR13
08-03-2010, 12:12 AM
New York Knicks center Timofey Mozgov has been cleared to play for the Russian National Team after acquiring insurance from his New York Knicks contract. Mozgov is expected to join and train with the National Team immediately.

diogU
08-03-2010, 10:50 AM
4 players were recently cut from the national side by coach Blatt.
No room for Kolesnikov, Zvarykin, Shukhovtsov and Nelyubov - quite predictable result of NT tryouts if you ask me. Only Kolesnikov had a slight chance to become the 12th guy on board with his workaholic die-hard "Fridzon-like" mentality.

Now roster stands at 15. These are:

PG/SG/SF Anton Ponkrashov
PG Dmitry Khvostov
PG/SG Maxim Grigoryev

SG/PG Sergey Bykov
SG Vitaly Fridzon
SG Eugeny Voronov
SG/PG/SF Alexey Shved
SG/SF/PG Alexey Zozulin

SF/PF Nikita Kurbanov
SF/PF Sergey Monya

PF/SF Viktor Khryapa
PF/SF/C Andrey Vorontsevich
PF/C Alexey Zhukanenko

C Alexandr Kaun
C Timofey Mozgov

Voronov and Grigoryev seem like the most obvious choices to be cut next while the battle for the last spot will be probably led between Kurbanov and Zhukanenko

Team Photo (http://www.championat.ru/photo/basketball/32/3613/126773_full.html)

Picek
08-07-2010, 04:22 PM
when will Khryapa be back to NT?
he didn't play yesterday against us, he didn't play against Latvia a week ago..
any news about his status?

Mindozas
08-07-2010, 06:14 PM
when will Khryapa be back to NT?
he didn't play yesterday against us, he didn't play against Latvia a week ago..
any news about his status?

He started to practise with full strength few days ago

diogU
08-20-2010, 01:34 PM
After all it became obvious that Alexey Zozulin won't be on time with getting in his best shape after continuous process of recovery caused by recurrence of his chronic knee injury left him unavailable for all the preparation works of the Russian NT.

At the same time Kurbanov and Grigoryev were cut after Love Cyprus Cup and Eugeny Kolesnikov was called back in anticipation of last week's Slovenian tournament.

So, now only 13 NT candidates are left:

PG Dmitry Khvostov

SG/PG Sergey Bykov
SG Vitaly Fridzon
SG Eugeny Voronov
SG/PG/SF Alexey Shved
SG/PG Eugeny Kolesnikov

SF/PF Sergey Monya

PF/SF Viktor Khryapa
PF/C Alexey Zhukanenko

C Alexandr Kaun
C Timofey Mozgov

It seems like Kolesnikov or Voronov will occupy the last roster spot with one of them being eventually cut

Billy Bounce
08-25-2010, 08:58 PM
It looks like Shved is cut from NT

The final roster:

PG Dmitry Khvostov

SG/PG Sergey Bykov
SG/PG Evgeny Kolesnikov
SG Vitaly Fridzon
SG Eugeny Voronov

SF/PF Sergey Monya

PF/SF Viktor Khryapa
PF/C Alexey Zhukanenko

C Alexandr Kaun
C Timofey Mozgov

src: http://www.championat.ru/basketball/news-581077.html

vaslover
08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
President of RFB Sergey Chernov just said that if Russian NT will play with big heart, eventually our NT will be in the top four. He promises...:):rolleyes:

Srle
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Too bad they cut most promising and most creative Russian player he proved it in the preparation games . David Blat and CSKA are killing that kid. Its not like Russia is loaded with the great players and they are playing for the gold:rolleyes:

Franz
08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Shved will never improve as a basketball player.

Srle
08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
He wont improve sitting on the bench its obvious:)

rikhardur
08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Wait until wardjdim sees that :D

diogU
08-26-2010, 10:34 PM

What does that suppose to mean? He is headcase for sure, but he is the biggest talent we have since Khryapa. Did you watch him last season? He was simply great during the playoffs.
----

So, no Likhodey and now no Shved for Russia. Well, Blatt's defensive emphasis is more than understandable, Kolesnikov and Voronov are good guys, great fighters and, yeah, nice defenders, but still I suppose we could have much more promising and creative options in our fringe players.

Dreamcatcher
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
After the game vs Ivory Coast David Blatt said that he was going to leave Russian NT after WC.

http://www.sports.ru/basketball/72737322.html

auris1
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM
After the game vs Ivory Coast David Blatt said that he was going to leave Russian NT after WC.

http://www.sports.ru/basketball/72737322.html
Hmm,i wonder what direction they choose.
Look locally ,where i see limited options , but not necessary bad, or just go for the biggest name available,providing they have funds for that.
My personal view would be - to get Kazlauskas,and to build the team of russian assistants around him.It is probably unrealistic,but i wish the team well

Billy Bounce
08-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Actually I'm quite surprised by Blatt's patience

1) Russian NT assistant coach Pashutin wasn't allowed to Turkey, because UNICS management don't like it, Russian basketball federation didn't do a sh!t about it

2) Russian NT official scout wasn't allowed to Turkey, because **** management don't like it, Russian basketball federation didn't do a sh!t about it

3) Russian NT key player Khryapa sidelined , because CSKA management don't want him to play

Bottom line: head of Russian basketball federation Chernov "promised" top4 for Russian NT and looks like his promise's fulfillment tied with his future as a head of RBF, on the other side CSKA head Vatutin sabotages NT to get Chernov out of RFB ...

Looks like Blatt got finally tired of all this Machiavellian politics behind his back :rolleyes:

rikhardur
01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Sergey Bazarevich may replace David Blatt as Russian National Team Head Coach - Jan 27, 2011 (by Eurobasket )
Decision on future of Russian National team coach will be on 1st February. In case that David Blatt t leaves the head coach position, it is possible to have a russian coach. President of Russian Federation mr. Aleksandr Krasnenkov said that if coach is having two duties, club and national team, he would prefer that he is a coaching a PBL (Russian Professional League). Rumors from Russia are that new candidate could be Sergey Bazarevich (agency: Alti Sport ). Sergey Bazarevich (agency: Alti Sport ) most promising russian candidate is coaching Dynamo Moscow, also known as a former russian basketball star, first russian player in NBA, all world tournament 5 in 1993. Dynamo Moscow the only team playing with only Russian players, last season big surprise with 4th place. This year with a smallest budget in the league managed to upset a leader of PBL Unics Kazan with a home win last week. Dynamo Moscow is having the last spot for the play off at the moment. Sergey Bazarevich (agency: Alti Sport ) is coaching four national team players who were playing in Turkey in the world cup.
http://www.eurobasket.com/Russia/basketball.asp?NewsID=215954

Billy Bounce
01-29-2011, 08:36 AM
It looks like Blatt stays.

Yesterday the board of Russian basketball federation voted unanimously for Blatt to stay.

src: http://www.basket.ru/news/article/one/viewing/?newart=360

Blatt is expected to respond to the offer within 3-5 days.

sagenas
01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Today I've read that R.Kurtinaitis is candidate to coach Russian NT. :rolleyes:

goga78
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Regardless of whether Blatt decides to stay, I can't stop wondering about Russian coaches and functionaries contantly stating that they don't want a foreigner to coach the Russian NT as it would not be a good solution. This is so incredibly outlandish as it was a foreigner - Blatt - who came, saw and won the European Championship. The subsequent Olympics were a failure in a tough group as Russia was basically missing its key player in Khryapa and the next WBC and EBC Blatt squeezed more out of this team than could be expected. None of these "experts" has reached anything with a club team or a national team with the exception of Sergei Belov who brought home three medals (two silver and one bronze), when he could count on a very strong roster with All-European players on every position.

wardjdim
01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Regardless who the coach is, the starting PG and leader and go-to guy of the team should be no else than Aleksey Shved :D

rikhardur
02-03-2011, 08:16 PM
http://www.fiba.com/images/web/News/Photos/2011/02/01/_192/Blatt.JPG

01/02/2011
RUS – Blatt: ‘Russia will compete no matter which players show up’

TEL AVIV (EuroBasket 2011) - David Blatt knows what it takes to win a gold medal at a EuroBasket.

He led Russia to the top of the podium four years ago in Spain and would love to do it again in Lithuania this summer.

But to have a realistic chance of doing that, Blatt, who watched the EuroBasket 2011 draw on Sunday and saw Russia fall into a Group D with Slovenia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Georgia and Ukraine, needs his best players to represent the country again, just as Spain need Pau Gasol and Greece need Dimitris Diamantidis.

"All of the teams are one team with one group of guys, and another team with another group of guys," Blatt said to FIBA.com.

"You saw Spain last year without Pau Gasol.

"With all due respect to Spain, they're one of the very, very best teams in Europe, but where are they in Europe without Gasol and (Jose) Calderon? Let's be honest, and they have a lot of players.”

Spain reached the Quarter-Finals at the 2010 FIBA World Championship but lost to Serbia on a long three-pointer by Milos Teodosic at the buzzer.

"The reality is that at this level, if you want to be a top team, then you want to have the top players,” Blatt said.

For this reason, Blatt can’t venture a guess as to where Russia will end up at the EuroBasket in Lithuania.

If he has one group of his players, Blatt’s team would be among the best on the continent.

With another, like the squad that overachieved at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey, Russia are among a group of teams that would do well just to reach the last Quarter-Finals.

“I was very proud of what we did at the World Championship. To finish seventh without all of our players was great.

"We won six games out of nine games.

"That's not an easy thing to do at a World Championship.

"We beat better teams. We beat teams we were supposed to beat. We lost to the U.S. in a very well played game, and we lost to Turkey by nine points in Turkey which is as good as anybody did (except Team USA in the Final) and we lost to Argentina, which is a high-level team that finished above us in the standings.”

First things first

Blatt has not signed a contract extension with Russia, something that seemed unlikely last year at the World Championship, but Russia’s federation and the new president, Alexander Krasnenkov, have made no secret of their desire to keep the 51-year-old in the job.

"Right now, the direction is very positive and I am in serious discussions with the new president," Blatt said.

"I'll shortly be going back to Russia to meet with him.

"Right now, all the indications are very positive that I'll continue."

Therefore, he watched the EuroBasket draw in Lithuania with a lot of interest.

Bulgaria’s coach, Rosen Barchovski, said he was happy to have avoided Spain, Turkey and tournament hosts Lithuania in Group A.

Only the top three sides will progress from each group to the next phase.

Blatt doesn’t think it wise to become too excited about a draw.

"You know," he said, "because I've been doing this for a while. I've been at a number of EuroBaskets, an Olympic Games and a World Championship, and I think that the gifts of the winter time can turn out to be the punishments of the summer time, and vice-versa - you just don't know.

"You can't know at this stage.

“It's a little premature to either celebrate or to lament your condition at this point and I think that all coaches would do very well to be calm at this point and just see how the teams shape up, who comes and who doesn't, before they start getting overly concerned one way or another."

Nevertheless, Blatt wasn’t unhappy that the basketball gods had placed his team in Group D.

"Our draw is even,” he said, “a lot of evenly balanced teams.

“But it's a group that I would hope we'd find a way to advance from and that's the important thing in the First Round.”

Avoiding Israel

Blatt is the coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv and calls Israel home.

Arik Shivek's Israeli team ended up in Group B, and Blatt was relieved.

"Honestly, I am," he said.

"I didn't want to go against them again. I did in EuroBasket, Spain, 2007. It was not a comfortable situation for me."

He then laughed and said: "It wasn't comfortable for them, either, because we won by 35.

"I was happy at the end of the day that they qualified out of that group, by the way. That made me feel better. It wasn't comfortable playing them, nor beating them by 35.

"But it was a happy moment for me when they qualified."

So what can Europe expect of Russia at the EuroBasket? Might this team go on another great run and reach the Final, which would qualify the team for the London Olympics?

"For me, the most important thing is to see which team I have because over the last three years, even though we have played well and had good results, we have not had our top players come, or they haven’t been available because of injury,” Blatt said.

"I'll be very interested to see over these next few months who we'll have at our disposal and then I'll be able to comment more specifically on the draw that we had and whether or not we can advance and in what condition."

The return of naturalized point guard Holden would be celebrated.

He hit the game-winning basket against Spain in 2007 and remains a leading point guard in Russia with CSKA Moscow.

While he hasn’t played since the 2008 Olympics, the Pennsylvania native hasn’t retired.

"I asked him every year but he politely refuses so I don't know that he'll change his mind," Blatt said.

"I'll certainly ask him as I always do. I'm waiting anxiously to see what is going to happen with the NBA lockout because that will directly influence some of our players.

" I would strongly hope that Andrei would come back and join us after a few years of not participating and that Timofey Mozgov would come back and play as he has done the last two years.

"We have a big concern with Viktor Khryapa, who unfortunately has not played this year (at CSKA Moscow) except for a few minutes due to a very difficult and chronic ankle condition that he has.

"He may not play again this year, so I don't know what kind of condition that puts him in this year with the national team.

"So we're still waiting to see who is going to come and play with us. We could be one team in one group, or we can be a team that is the fighting, overachieving and fun team of the last few years without Khryapa, without Holden and without Kirilenko and just do the best that we can.

"I will say this, which is what we've done the past few years without the stars, that we will be a competitor. We'll come and we'll play and we won't be an easy match for anyone."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte/p/newsid/45673/arti.html

Mindozas
04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Kirilenko confirmed that he'll play for Russia in EC and will be aiming highest places. He will join the camp after holidays, on the 1st of August.

ip84
04-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I wonder if people here know/remember the story how Blatt became Russian coach instead of being Israeli NT coach... lol.

goga78
04-16-2011, 06:02 AM
I wonder if people here know/remember the story how Blatt became Russian coach instead of being Israeli NT coach... lol.

OMG! It was bureaucratic stupidity at its best!

vaslover
04-16-2011, 08:36 AM
OMG! It was bureaucratic stupidity at its best!

Don,t worry guys,once David eventually will lead Israel NT...:)

goga78
04-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Don,t worry guys,once David eventually will lead Israel NT...:)

At least I was able to witness the 2007 run by his Russian NT :)

vaslover
04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=goga78;572926]At least I was able to witness the 2007 run by his Russian NT :)

:)

auris1
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
So ?
what was the story?
I do not know.

vaslover
04-17-2011, 11:20 AM
So ?
what was the story?
I do not know.

As i remember, Israel Basketball Federation put in idiotic bureaucratic spokes in the wheel for David to get the israeli coaching diploma. Eventually, he chose the offer of our basketball federation,and i suppose he still doesn,t regret that eventually he chose our NT... :)

CKR13
05-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Partial snips from the full article on The Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51789616-87/kirilenko-jazz-utah-lakers.html.csp)

Kirilenko feels optimistic, his mind is clear and his body has healed. The latter is key. After missing Utah’s final 10 games due to nagging injuries, the Russian native is healthy and plans to play for his home country in the 2011 European Basketball Championship. The tournament is scheduled from Aug. 31 to Sept. 18 in Lithuania.

“I feel pretty good,” said Kirilenko, who is set to fly back to Russia this week and doesn’t plan to return to the United States until August. “I was pretty close at the end of the year. But, obviously, we ended [the season] a little bit early.”

Phoenix32
05-21-2011, 12:35 PM
blat will be watching PBL playoff games to look for candidates for nt

and Dinamo PG Hvostov will atend training camp even with youth team to get the palying form faster

rikhardur
06-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Russia Can Do It Again, Says Kaun

Success comes in cycles. In basketball, as in life, rarely are the twin poles of joy and despair incessant.

Russia felt the elation when they swept to victory at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain, strangling the dreams of the hosts in the final.

Then, their power waned once more, back into the pack, wondering when the next surge would come.

Why not this year in Lithuania, Sasha Kaun asks? It is not a show of impatience from the CSKA Moscow centre, nor mere bravado.

Merely, he says, that there is no reason to discount the chance of a young squad which believes it can raise itself.

"Anything could happen," he states. Anything at all.

Mother Russia will march into the neighbouring Baltics in the hope of a bloodless conquest.

Theirs will be a team which is still headed towards its peak with totems like the Denver Nuggets' Timofey Mozgov approaching their best years.

Even if veteran duo JR Holden and Viktor Khryapa answer the call, the new generation, Kaun confirms, are motivated to surpass their predecessors.

"Especially considering that we didn't do as well as we wanted to at the (2010) World Championship. And we want to qualify for the Olympics next year."

The stars, perhaps, are aligning for Russia. Mozgov, liberated in mid-season from New York, has continued upon the promising break-out he enjoyed at last year's FIBA World Championship, announcing himself as a genuine NBA player.

"It's definitely helpful to have him getting that kind of experience," Kaun asserts. "He works hard. He's got better as he went along."

He might be joined by Andrei Kirilenko, the talisman of the triumph of four years ago, who has hinted strongly that he will re-join his country at a time when his decade-long spell with the Utah Jazz appears to be coming to an end.

"With him back, we're much stronger," Kaun adds.

Yet the biggest lift arguably arrived some months ago when David Blatt, the architect of '07, finally confirmed that he would remain as head coach.

Back for another run, chasing another European title, the Maccabi Tel Aviv playcaller has his team on side.

"He's a great coach," Kaun confirms.

"He has so many good tendencies, coming from the USA but also being a kind of adopted European as well.

"He's had so much success over the last few years, both with us internationally and also with his club teams. You saw this season with Maccabi how well they did to get to the Euroleague Final Four and then to the final. We're happy to have him back."

Kaun has an easy kinship with Blatt. Now into his third season with CSKA Moscow, the 26-year-old is a rarity: a Russian who 'defected' to the West before returning home.

Educated in high school in Florida, and then at the University of Kansas, the Tomsk-born giant has taken precious insights from each stop.

"You get the best of both worlds," he reveals. "I built up my body by playing in America. European basketball was then different. I had to become even smarter and learn the game more, how to position myself on the court and defensively."

The NBA scouts will watch him once more in Lithuania. His rights are currently held by the Cleveland Cavaliers who might hold an interest in his services.

Kaun will not rule out a second instalment of his American odyssey. "It's something I always look into," he admits.

"This year would be tough with the potential of a lock out. You can play more here. But if there were ever an opportunity, I'd consider it."

Pushing himself front and centre at the EuroBasket would broaden his fame.

Russia - in a first round group that includes 2009 semi-finalists Slovenia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Georgia - should expect nothing less than progress into the second phase.

One cycle at a time, Kaun counters. "There are a lot of good teams and you still have to win the game. Slovenia will definitely be strong. They have a good team. But you never know what to expect. Having the tournament expand to more teams makes it harder because you play so many games in a short period of time. You have to be ready."

If they weren't before, they are now.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_qfba8z20JdcBRgJy1IbrJ3.articleMode_on.html

Mindozas
06-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Russia announced it's preliminar roster:

1st camp (15th of June)

1. Semyon Antonov ("Nizhniy Novgorod")
2. Dmitriy Golovin ("Nizhniy Novgorod")
3. Maksim Grigoryev ("Lokomotiv-Kuban")
4. Petr Gubanov ("Dinamo")
5. Vyacheslav Zaytsev ("Khimki")
6. Viktor Zvarykin ("Krasnye Krylya")
7. Aleksey Zozulin ("Spartak")
8. Vladimir Ivlev ("Dinamo")
9. Anatoliy Kashirov ("Aris")
10. Aleksandr Korchagin ("Spartak")
11. Aleksey Kotishevskiy ("Spartak")
12. Valeriy Likhodey ("Triumph")
13. Ivan Nelyubov ("VEF")
14. Denis Polokhin (CSKA)
15. Dmitriy Khvostov ("Dinamo")
16. Artem Yakovenko ("Nizhniy Novgorod").

2nd camp (15th of July)

1. Sergey Bykov (CSKA)
2. Andrey Vorontsevich (CSKA)
3. Yevgeniy Voronov ("Dinamo")
4. Aleksey Zhukanenko ("Dinamo")
5. Aleksandr Kaun (CSKA)
6. Viktor Keyru ("Dinamo")
7. Andrey Kirilenko ("Utah Jazz")
8. Timofey Mozgov ("Denver Nuggets")
9. Sergey Monya ("Khimki")
10. Anton Ponkrashov ("Spartak")
11. Vitaliy Fridzon ("Khimki")
12. John-Robert Holden (CSKA)
13. Viktor Khryapa (CSKA)
14. Aleksey Shved (CSKA).

wardjdim
07-03-2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.talkbasket.net/5805-holden-officially-out-of-eurobasket.html

Good point now who's starting at PG. Ponkrashov and Shved both provide them with good passing and size, but I am not sure they can draw enough attention to open up defenses or take over the clutch shooting at times

G- Shved, Ponkrashov, Bykov
G- Fridzon, Keyru

These are the two questionable positions which could be partly resolved if McCarty can take over the place of the retired Holden as a naturalized player in the NT. Also, when it comes to the pure PG position, Khvostov can be an option now for the back up PG, moving Shved at SG (although I think he is more useful at PG)

F- Vorontsevich, Monya
F- Kirilenko, Khryapa
C- Kaun, Mozgov, Zhukanenko

These are the strong positions

madmax
07-03-2011, 01:10 PM
like usual Ryssia will be very physical team with some gritty hustle players - Kirilenko, Mozgov, Kaun. I'm not sure any european frontline will be able to match their intensity inside and physical play. Now the question mark are guards, which are not of the highest level and their shooting can go on and off depending on a moon phase. If everything is clicking, Russia can easily "upset" every favourite and repeat their 2007 performance:cool:

Xristos
07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
It should be...

Ponkrashov - Bykov
Fridzon - Shved - Keyru
Kirilenko - Monya
Khryapa - Vorontsevich
Mozgov - Kaun - Zhukanenko

auris1
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
like usual Ryssia will be very physical team with some gritty hustle players - Kirilenko, Mozgov, Kaun. I'm not sure any european frontline will be able to match their intensity inside and physical play. Now the question mark are guards, which are not of the highest level and their shooting can go on and off depending on a moon phase. If everything is clicking, Russia can easily "upset" every favourite and repeat their 2007 performance:cool:
NO way man.With Holden gone,no matter how much they hustle,"clicking" is very unlikely to repeat

ZizzitSlo
07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I agree that they are less frightful without Holden, but good draw could help them get very far. Just like our team, we'll see who will use it better to their advantage. The match between the teams could be crucial for that reason, at it will probably decide which team will be at the top of the later group F and which at the bottom, getting tougher opponents in QF.

Afterall they were eliminated in QF of WC10 against USA, with only one game lost to that point. And they were without Kirilenko.

jesquique
07-06-2011, 01:15 PM
What about Dimitri Khostov?
he played great against USA last year and i hoped that he joined Real Madrid.
is not included in the final Russia roster?
Unbelievable.
he seemed better than Holden
what about his season in Dinamo?
greetings

diogU
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Russian squad, after-first-cut version. 20 candidates left:

PG/SG/SF Anton Ponkrashov (CSKA)/ PG Dmitriy Khvostov (Khimki)/ PG/SG Maksim Grigoryev (Lokomotiv-Kuban)
SG Vitaly Fridzon (Khimki)/ SG/PG/SF Aleksey Shved (CSKA)/ SG/PG Sergey Bykov (Lokomotiv-Kuban)/ SG Evgeny Voronov (CSKA)/ SG/SF/PG Aleksey Zozulin (Spartak)/ SG/SF Viktor Keyru (Spartak)/ SG/PG Egor Vyaltsev (Khimki)
SF/PF Andrey Kirilenko (free agent)/ SF/PF/SG Sergey Monya (Khimki)/ SF/PF Valeriy Likhodey (Spartak) / SF/PF Semyon Antonov (Nizhny Novgorod)
PF/SF Viktor Khryapa (CSKA)/ PF/C/SF Andrey Vorontsevich (CSKA)/ PF/C Nikita Shabalkin (Lokomotiv-Kuban)
C Aleksandr Kaun (CSKA)/ C Timofey Mozgov (Denver Nuggets)/ C/PF Aleksey Zhukanenko (Khimki)

Mindozas
07-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Russia started it's preparation, however without Kirilenko, Kaun and Khryapa. AK-47 should join the team on 27th of July, while Kaun and finally seems to be healthy Khryapa on 1st of August.

qinfoucault
07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
i have a question,will the nba players in NT Russia join the team and compete in Stankovic Cup in August in China,such as Andrei Kirilenko,Timofey Mozgov?:)

Mindozas
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
i have a question,will the nba players in NT Russia join the team and compete in Stankovic Cup in August in China,such as Andrei Kirilenko,Timofey Mozgov?:)

No. There'll be the team, which will participate in World University Games

qinfoucault
07-23-2011, 09:37 AM
thanks,friend!:)

wardjdim
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.talkbasket.net/5896-fiba-refuses-to-insure-khryapa-for-eurobasket.html

This was posted yesterday and has made a lot of noise since then. Any updates?

Migelitas
08-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Sasha Kaun will miss Eurobasket.

Xristos
08-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Horrible news :eek:

I guess Zhukanenko will be the backup to Mozgov and maybe Sokolov or Savrasenko will be called upon

vaslover
08-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Horrible news :eek:

I guess Zhukanenko will be the backup to Mozgov and maybe Sokolov or Savrasenko will be called upon

Blatt said that Sokolov,Likholitov or Savrasenko will not be called upon. It just means that Zhukanenko FOR SURE will be the backup to Mozgov. Unfortunately. I wanted to see Savras, bcause he still can be useful in defence. But it was Blatt,s choice.

Slam
08-02-2011, 04:24 PM

That's horrible, Kaun had the potential to be one of the best bigs in Lithuania. Russia needs to get Khryapa healthy. Hopefully Sasha won't miss any time at the start of the Euroleague season, CSKA doesn't need another injury riddled season.

Xristos
08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Blatt said that Sokolov,Likholitov or Savrasenko will not be called upon. It just means that Zhukanenko FOR SURE will be the backup to Mozgov. Unfortunately. I wanted to see Savras, bcause he still can be useful in defence. But it was Blatt,s choice.

So Russia will only take 2 centers? This could be a big mistake with Mozgov's frequent fouling

Mindozas
08-03-2011, 07:16 AM
http://www.talkbasket.net/5896-fiba-refuses-to-insure-khryapa-for-eurobasket.html

This was posted yesterday and has made a lot of noise since then. Any updates?

Finally some updates, the issue might be solved even today

YellowGreenRed
08-03-2011, 07:52 AM
So what is probable line-up of Russia NT today?

Mindozas
08-03-2011, 08:08 AM
So what is probable line-up of Russia NT today?

You mean the candidates left in the squad? Smth like this then:

PG: Ponkrashov, Bykov, Khvostov, Grigoriev
SG: Fridzon, Shved, Voronov, Zozulin, Vyaltsev
SF: Kirilenko, Monya, Antonov
PF: Khryapa, Vorontsevich, Shabalkin
C: Mozgov, Zhukanenko

IMO SF Antonov is a sure cut and then 4 guards will follow

Xristos
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
You mean the candidates left in the squad? Smth like this then:

PG: Ponkrashov, Bykov, Khvostov, Grigoriev
SG: Fridzon, Shved, Voronov, Zozulin, Vyaltsev
SF: Kirilenko, Monya, Antonov
PF: Khryapa, Vorontsevich, Shabalkin
C: Mozgov, Zhukanenko

IMO SF Antonov is a sure cut and then 4 guards will follow

Victor Keirou is there also. Most likely back up for Fridzon

Mindozas
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Victor Keirou is there also. Most likely back up for Fridzon

Not really, he was cut quite long time ago ;)

Xristos
08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Not really, he was cut quite long time ago ;)

Do you have a link for this? This is quite shocking to me

He was excellent in PBL this past season

Mindozas
08-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Do you have a link for this? This is quite shocking to me

He was excellent in PBL this past season

I don't have a link for exact message about that, as far as I remember it was just written updated list of candidates after some camp and Keyru wasn't there, the same like Holden, who announced his final retirement from NT then, but if you're interested, today in the news about Khryapa, there's a list of candidates (in Russian):

http://basketball.sport-express.ru/reviews/15499/

Xristos
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't have a link for exact message about that, as far as I remember it was just written updated list of candidates after some camp and Keyru wasn't there, the same like Holden, who announced his final retirement from NT then, but if you're interested, today in the news about Khryapa, there's a list of candidates (in Russian):

http://basketball.sport-express.ru/reviews/15499/

Ah, thanks for the link

Big mistake by Blatt I think

Keirou's defense and athletic scoring skills would have been helpful

vaslover
08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Ah, thanks for the link

Big mistake by Blatt I think

Keirou's defense and athletic scoring skills would have been helpful

If say truth, our Keyru isn,t a player of international level. Unfortunately. When he played for Cska in euroleague games, he couldn,t prove that he can be helpful for Army club on the court. Yes, he has nice athleticism with great size for the small forward spot, but,imho, it,s not enough to play for our NT. It,s not secret that his offensive ability and for example, ball-handling skills looks quite limited. Also Keyru was always fairy turnover prone, and Blatt knows about it more than anyone else.

barchen
08-08-2011, 03:23 PM
there are still 17 players in russia squad now?

Mindozas
08-08-2011, 04:03 PM
there are still 17 players in russia squad now?

There wasn't any news regarding any cuts, so should be 17. Will try to update in any info will appear regarding that

Mindozas
08-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Yet another injury news before this EC - Zhukanenko got injured and will miss Eurobasket... (http://www.basket.ru/news/article/one/viewing/?newart=1133). So it leaves only 1 C remaining - Mozgov

Btw, few days ago Grigoriev was cut, also Zozulin isn't with the team, but still no news regarding him

Xristos
08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Yet another injury news before this EC - Zhukanenko got injured and will miss Eurobasket... (http://www.basket.ru/news/article/one/viewing/?newart=1133). So it leaves only 1 C remaining - Mozgov

Btw, few days ago Grigoriev was cut, also Zozulin isn't with the team, but still no news regarding him

Looks like Russia will play for stretches without a center and Vorontsevich playing in that position. It is bad for them, but it can also cause many mismatches. Too bad Kaun won't call Savrasenko or Sokolov.

Maybe it's time to call Morgunov and Podkolzine. :D

vaslover
08-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Blatt said that he,ll keep all 14 remaining players until the end of all friendlies games.

vaslover
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Final roster for eurobasket 2011:
PG: Anton Ponkrashov, Dmitriy Khvostov,
SG: Sergey Bykov, Alexey Shved, Vitaliy Fridzon
Sf: Sergey Monya, Viktor Khryapa, Andrey Kirilenko
Pf: Andrey Vorontsevich, Semen Antonov,
C: Timofey Mozgov, Nikita Shabalkin

Egor Vyaltsev and Evgeniy Voronov were cut out of the team. Unfortunately for me,Voronov was cut as well...:mad:

rikhardur
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Beverley wants to play for Russia NT

Spartak Sankt Petersburg player Patrick Beverley has expressed his wish to play for the Russian National Team in the 2012 London Olympics.

In an interview to RIA Novosti's Taras Barabash the player was quoted saying:

"I'm sure that the Russian team will play in the Olympics (they have to make it through the pre-Olympic tournament first) and I would love to help out the team by playing in London. I hope to receive a Russian passport as soon as possible, as I want to represent the Russian NT."

Beverley also wants to follow JR Holden's footsteps: "If I receive an invitation for Russian NT, I will accept it right away. It would be a great honour for me to represent Russia. And I hope it will happen soon. My compatriot JR Holden has already done it. I like Petersburg and I got to love Russia and its hospitable people. I want to please them by playing for Russia. The most important thing for now is to get my passport."

You can read the full interview to RIA Novosti HERE (http://sport.ria.ru/interview_sport/20110925/443416195.html).

You can follow Taras Barabash on twitter @Taras_Barabash (http://twitter.com/#!/Taras_Barabash)
http://www.talkbasket.net/6045-beverley-wants-to-play-for-russia-nt.html

wardjdim
09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
I am pretty sure he won't be eligible, since he was a part of the U19 USA team that lost to Macvan and co. in the 1997 final of the Junior WC. But even if he could, I doubt he would play a Holden-like role for them, especially with Aleksey Shved being on the rise atm

vaslover
09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
As i remember, president of RFB Alexandr Krasnenkov said, that until he,ll the president of RFB, in our basketball we,ll not see even single naturalized player. So, i hope he,s a REAL MAN and he,s responsible for his words. As for me, this situation with naturalization reminds me of a vicious circle which never ends. We had Holden, Mccarty, Hansen. Now it,s time for Beverly. How,s the next one?...
I,ve such feeling that we,re addicted to drug (ups, naturalization) needles and don,t want to jump off it. :mad:......

vaslover
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Ups, definitely I mean, who,s the next one?:)

Buzissa
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Is true that Beverley will get the Russian passport and play for the NT?

rikhardur
09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Is true that Beverley will get the Russian passport and play for the NT?
http://forums.interbasket.net/f14/russia-nt-2012-18335/

auris1
09-27-2011, 05:13 PM
It ruins the basketball,i have to say.
Another person to oppose this was the president of serbian federation,but i guess Serbs are too proud anyway.
But I read in newspapers that Estonians also are looking for players.
Mind you,i do not care if players are naturalised for the purpose of getting eu passport at club level.
Last thing - some exceptions could be made,especially like with Kaman case,where he is direct descendent from German roots(both parents or not i am not sure,but the link is there).
I would still spit on them rental boys though.
edit - even Holden looks so much better in comparison,knowing that he stayed in russia for 10 long years.Although he still can not say a single word ,and Langdon looked so much smarter as a person,even without a tie

CKR13
12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Small details of Russia's preparations for the last Olympic qualifying tournament is emerging.

Russian basketball team to acclimatize before Olympic qualifiers - coach (http://en.ria.ru/sports/20111227/170519377.html)

CKR13
03-06-2012, 03:18 AM
From RT.com: No easy path for Russia in Olympic basketball qualifiers (http://rt.com/sport/basketball/russia-olympic-basketball-qualifiers-883/)

Mindozas
03-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Announced preparations plan for AQT:

31 May - start of preparations in Moscow
3-10 June - preparations camp in Slovenia
14-16 June - friendlies in Lithuania:
14 June. Russia - Macedonia
16 June. Russia - Greece
20-30 June - preparations campa dn friendlies in USA:
25 June. Russia - Great Britain
27 June. Russia - Lithuania
28 June. Russia - Great Britain
30 June – flight to Caracas, Venezuela

I guess list of friendlies is not final, cause f.e. Lithuania still didn't decide where they will held it's final prep camp - Brazil or USA... or maybe Russian federation already knows more than it was announced in our media and the deal between federations is done, while Lithuania will be in States too.

rikhardur
04-03-2012, 02:21 AM
RUS - Kirilenko believes Russia can push for medal in London

MOSCOW (Euroleague/Olympics) - Andrei Kirilenko believes the Russian national team is strong enough to reach the 2012 Olympics and fight for a medal in London.

Before then, the 31-year-old hopes to lead Russian giants CKSA Moscow to a seventh Euroleague Final Four crown.

Kirilenko made big headlines before the start of the season when he signed a three-year contact with Russian giants CSKA in light of the NBA lockout.

The versatile forward carried over his supreme play from EuroBasket 2011 - where Russia claimed a bronze medal - into the Euroleague campaign.

Kirilenko has won Euroleague MVP honours on four occasions - the most by any player - most recently in Games 2 and 4 of the Playoffs in helping the Red Army punch its ticket for Istanbul.

After a hiccup last season, CSKA Moscow bested Bilbao Basket 3-1 in its Playoffs series to reach the Euroleague Final Four for the ninth time in the last 10 years and take aim at a seventh continental crown.

Kirilenko will be in Istanbul as he felt he wanted to be part of what he started and turned down offers from the NBA to return after the lockout ended.

“I’d say I felt sorry to leave the team I like so much, the team we were working so hard to build. I would definitely love to help CSKA win the Euroleague and all the other titles this year,” he said.

Aside from missing five games midway through the season with a left shoulder injury, Kirilenko has played an enormous role in CSKA’s success, despite a roster that boasts a good dozen internationals.

He is the team’s second-leading scorer and top rebounder while leading the squad in steals and blocked shots.

Kirilenko and CSKA will face either defending champions Panathinaikos or Maccabi Electra for a place in the Euroleague Final in May.

Once CSKA’s season is over, Kirilenko will shift his attention back to the Russian national team and its quest to return to the Olympics.

David Blatt's crew will face Korea and the Dominican Republic in Group C of the Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) in Venezuela on July 2-8.

Kirilenko likes Russia’s chances of making it through the OQT and to the London Games, where he expects them to have some success.

“In my opinion, Russia is strong enough to make it to London and to fight for the medals there," he said.

"We have to stay healthy and serious about qualification tournament first of all. Then we will see."

Kirilenko looked back with mixed emotions to his second Olympic Games in 2008.

First, there was the ultimate high of carrying the Russia flag at the Opening Ceremony.

"It was very special. Just getting into the Olympic Stadium for the Opening Ceremony already makes you shake inside," he said.

"Being in the head of the whole country, representing a Russian team full of stars is a huge feeling. I felt touched, amazed and inspired."

But then there was the fact that Russia failed to advance from the Preliminary Round group stage.

“It would be much better if we were a bit more lucky,” recalled Kirilenko.

For the Russian star, it’s pretty clear which team is favoured to have the gold medals hanging around their necks in London.

“I think that when you have Team USA in its best as one of the opponents you have to have a lot of luck to win it all,” he said.

But everyone knows Kirilenko will give his all. And usually that brings good results.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/51084/arti.html

Mindozas
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Blatt named preliminar 16-man roster:

Semyon Antonov
Sergey Bykov
Yevgeny Voronov
Andrei Vorontsevich
Maxim Grigoriev
Sergey Karasev
Alexander Kaun
Andrei Kirilenko
Timofey Mozgov
Sergei Monya
Anton Ponkrashov
Vitaliy Fridzon
Dmitriy Khvostov
Viktor Khryapa
Aleksandr Shved
Artem Yakovenko

Straight forward
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
A. Voroncėvič will miss qualification due to back's injury. Big loss. This guy is really important and a little bit underrated I would say.

carlo
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
In a prep game played in San Antonio, Russian NT defeated Great Britain 87-51, behind 16 pts of Timofey Mozgov. Other Russian players scoring in double digits, Vitaly Fridzon 13, Sergey Monya and Andrey Kirilenko with 11.
For GB, that played without Luol Deng and Pops Mensah-Bonsu among others, Daniel Clark was high with 12, while Eric Boateng had a double-double (11+14).
http://www.eurobasket.com/Russia/basketball.asp?NewsID=275907

Terrorizer
07-10-2012, 05:54 PM
It seems that we have pretty short bench: Shved-Fridzon-Kirilenko-Monya-Khryapa-Kaun-Mozgov are all in rotation (though even Timofei is doubtful due to injury) but it looks like Blatt doesn't want to give some non-garbage playing time to any of Ponkrashov, Antonov, Khvostov, Voronov, Karasev. So the absence of Sergei Bykov and Andrei Vorontsevich who can definitely add the depth to the current roster could be crucial in this Tournament.

wardjdim
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Katsikaris just quit from the NT. Although this is not necessarily bad news, shows a very bad environment between the federation and the people around the NT

madmax
07-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Katsikaris just quit from the NT. Although this is not necessarily bad news, shows a very bad environment between the federation and the people around the NT

wow...I wonder if federation will appoint someone of their own into head coach position now or they will be looking for some quality european candidate. The thing is, not everyone can be as strongly willed as Blatt was to deal with russian mentality and various influential "waves" from the higher ups regarding the coaching job. I certainly can only wish all the best luck to whoever gets this not so easy task to lead russian NT:rolleyes:

freemanbarna
07-19-2013, 08:59 PM
As wardjdim said before, it shows a bad environment. I wonder if coaches like Pashutin would accept this challenge...

Joško Poljak Fan
08-01-2014, 01:22 PM
edit: idiot, I've forgot Russia is not playing at world championhip and wondered why is there is no thread for world championship.

In any case, I like this team playing at Stanković cup a lot. Vikhrov, Balashev, Zakharov, Gudumak, considering the competition at junior stages it was to be expected Russia should eventualy do well with these guys. However it's a sacrilige they're not getting the leading roles in top Russian clubs, with the defense most of these guys are able to put on, that shouldn't be as tough to achieve as it seemingly is.

vaslover
08-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Russian NT roster for qulifying round (Russia,Switzerland,Italy) :
PG: Anton Pankrashov,Dmitriy Khvostov,Ivan Strebkov
SG: Dmitriy Kulagin,Egor Vyaltsev
SF: Sergey Karasev,Nikita Kurbanov,Valeriy Lihodey
PF: Semen Antonov,Pavel Antipov,Andrey Zubkov
C: Timofey Mozgov,Dmitriy Sokolov, Pavel Korobkov

ThePeraCar
08-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Im dissapointed

auris1
08-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Strebkov, Antipov, Zubkov, Korobkov are unknown for me.
Russians always have to fail once , twice or thrice before action can be taken to begin on the road to recovering, but gee, it seems like it is going to be along one.

vaslover
08-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Strebkov, Antipov, Zubkov, Korobkov are unknown for me.
Russians always have to fail once , twice or thrice before action can be taken to begin on the road to recovering, but gee, it seems like it is going to be along one.
It,s not a big secret that relationship between best players and president of RFB isn,t perfect actually. And i can accept position of our players. The president of RFB( Juliya Anikeeva)eventually has done everything to isolate itself against russian basketball community. A lot of people hate her too much actually.

vaslover
08-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Im dissapointed
Why you,re dissapointed?

auris1
08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
It,s not a big secret that relationship between best players and president of RFB isn,t perfect actually. And i can accept position of our players. The president of RFB( Juliya Anikeeva)eventually has done everything to isolate itself against russian basketball community. A lot of people hate her too much actually.
Would it be a fair assumption to say that because of power struggle in Russian bb federation and them putting personal interest above anything else led towards this non chalant attitudes from players? Getting your way no matter what price there is to be had?
I am very reluctant towards general development of Russian bb the way tthings have been happening lately.
It seems to me that only players who are playing abroad are the ones who stand a chance of improving themselves.
Playing in home teams seems like a toxic ground regarding development of the players.
Do I think things can change?Hell no.

ThePeraCar
08-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Why you,re dissapointed?

It reminds me of Serbia these days,its just we have alot of more talent so we didnt fail like Russia...very sadly best players arent playing...

vaslover
08-07-2014, 11:23 PM
It reminds me of Serbia these days,its just we have alot of more talent so we didnt fail like Russia...very sadly best players arent playing...
It,s true,man. The fact that what you can afford,we aren,t. Because you have plenty of high class players, and we have only Kaun, Fridzon, Vorontsevich,Monya,Bykov,Shved,Mozgov,Sergey Karasev and Semen Antonov respectively. That,s all! And when first 6 of my list of players for various reasons don,t play,IMHO it,s more than abnormal. We don,t have such storehouse of players as Serbia,Croatia,Lithuania,Spain,France or Greece. And all this petty intrigue inside of our much-suffering basketball family really pissing me off actually...

vaslover
08-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Would it be a fair assumption to say that because of power struggle in Russian bb federation and them putting personal interest above anything else led towards this non chalant attitudes from players? Getting your way no matter what price there is to be had?
I am very reluctant towards general development of Russian bb the way tthings have been happening lately.
It seems to me that only players who are playing abroad are the ones who stand a chance of improving themselves.
Playing in home teams seems like a toxic ground regarding development of the players.
Do I think things can change?Hell no.
Well,need to admit, our players don,t want to play eventually elsewhere in europe, because they,re "children of russian limit". The same situation we can see in Turkish Basketbal League. For example, one of best defensive SG in europe Renaldas Seibutis gets 350 000 euros for one season in Darussafaka. Our Anton Pankrashov no less than 700 000-800 000 euros... Fridzon got 1,9 million euros for last season in CSKA... Our football player Kokorin gets 5 million euros(!!!!!) in Dinamo Moscow for one season. Do you know this player? I don,t think so.:)

ThePeraCar
08-08-2014, 12:04 AM
It,s true,man. The fact that what you can afford,we aren,t. Because you have plenty of high class players, and we have only Kaun, Fridzon, Vorontsevich,Monya,Bykov,Shved,Mozgov,Sergey Karasev and Semen Antonov respectively. That,s all! And when first 6 of my list of players for various reasons don,t play,IMHO it,s more than abnormal. We don,t have such storehouse of players as Serbia,Croatia,Lithuania,Spain,France or Greece. And all this petty intrigue inside of our much-suffering basketball family really pissing me off actually...

its not that bad you know but with money you have in Russia you could promote very little of talent you have and make very decent NT,but thats why you remind me of Serbia cuz people in Basketball federation are retarded...

Italian Pride
08-08-2014, 12:58 AM
voronov?

vaslover
08-08-2014, 04:04 PM
voronov?
Strange, but in different our sources different information about him. :) But seems like, eventually he,s in final roster for qualifying games. Anyway, he didn,t play during practice games, because of injury.

CKR13
03-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Russia preliminary squad for Eurobasket
Link 1:http://apollo.tvnet.lv/zinas/krievijas-izlase-nosauc-eurobasket-2015-kandidatus/684594
Link 2:http://sportacentrs.com/basketbols/izlases/05032015-krievijas_izlase_nosauc_eurobasket_2015_k

CKR13
04-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Russia very interested in hosting FIBA World Cup in 2023.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11435843

serbianhoops
11-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Ilya ILYAYEV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMztSbQCLY8

serbianhoops
11-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Ilya ILYAYEV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xpRTFxZMnc

serbianhoops
03-17-2016, 07:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGj5t_t1kw