09-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm for the Philippines in this one.

Avician
09-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm for the Philippines in this one.

Nice! Me too

SinVerGuenza
09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
The truth is, I think Jordan is a much easier team to beat than SoKor. And since Jordan beat us today, logically our chances of winning against Sokor are a bit slim. But who knows, stranger and much less logical things have happened in this tournament ..... like Gilas actually barging into the semi-finals. Whowouldathunk right?

Gilas for the bronze!!!

budz17
09-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I go with team pilipinas. we have a score to settle with them.

its time to bury the ghost of busan 2002

all_about
09-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I go with team pilipinas. we have a score to settle with them.

its time to bury the ghost of busan 2002

It is our time to give them nightmares and a heartbreaking defeat for them.

Lebron23
09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Go Team Smart Gilas. I hope they beat the South Korean National Team.

crouchingtiger
09-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Koreans don't have tall, strong and athletic backcourts, they also don't have the body to contain Douhit, but they do have fast ball movement and sharp shooting 3's. While the Phil. has the tournament score leader as their center,
Their backcourts can create problem for the Koreans like what Jordanians did to RP. Neither of the team enjoy home court advantage....I would say, tmrw's game is going to be 50:50, whoever is in better condition and luck will win the game. I will not predict nor bet on this one and since there is no clear evidence for me to follow, I'd go with my heart. Go Philippines!!!!!!!!!

JGX
09-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Whichever team overcomes their nerves better will win...I thought all four semifinalists looked nervous today and it showed in their play. Both teams are capable of playing a lot better.

AlYuson
09-24-2011, 05:12 PM
With South Korea holding its own against mighty China..south korea for the victory ;)

Saskibaloia
09-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Firslty, though the Philippines did not reach their goal of winning the 2011 FIBA Asia Championships to book an automatic place in the 2012 London Olympics, I believe that the management, players and coaching staff should still have their heads held up high to reach this far as they have put Philippines back into the asian basketball map as a powerhouse.

Secondly, the coaching staff and management did a great job in selecting a great pick for their choice for their naturalized player, Marcus Douthit. To have a 6'11 240lbs true big man in the post was a huge difference for the team both offensively and defensively.

In conclusion, if the Philippines does not get the bronze to qualify for the pre-Olympic tournament, I believe that they should still keep coach Toroman for the goal of reaching the 2014 World Championships, which I believe Philippines would qualify. They have the coach, the player, the support and most importantly, the belief that Philippines can once again join the international basketball's elite countries.

MABUHAY PILIPINAS! GO PHILIPPINES!

denbote
09-25-2011, 02:09 AM
This is a battle of teams who came close but not enough. Also a battle of teams who had their worst shooting from the 3's yesterday.

I can't recall when did the Philippines last beat a South Korean team in a major tournament...

My heart says Philippines but my brain says S. Korea

chester25
09-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Firslty, though the Philippines did not reach their goal of winning the 2011 FIBA Asia Championships to book an automatic place in the 2012 London Olympics, I believe that the management, players and coaching staff should still have their heads held up high to reach this far as they have put Philippines back into the asian basketball map as a powerhouse.

Secondly, the coaching staff and management did a great job in selecting a great pick for their choice for their naturalized player, Marcus Douthit. To have a 6'11 240lbs true big man in the post was a huge difference for the team both offensively and defensively.

In conclusion, if the Philippines does not get the bronze to qualify for the pre-Olympic tournament, I believe that they should still keep coach Toroman for the goal of reaching the 2014 World Championships, which I believe Philippines would qualify. They have the coach, the player, the support and most importantly, the belief that Philippines can once again join the international basketball's elite countries.

MABUHAY PILIPINAS! GO PHILIPPINES!

plus one on this...

let's give team PILIPINAS one last push!

analyzed
09-25-2011, 03:25 AM
I'm all for keeping Toroman, however something tells me he would like to move on or at least take a break. Assuming this is the case, who is capable and likely to continue the Gilas program. the current assistants are Chot Reyes, Ryan Gregorio , Charles Tiu, while Norman Black is assigned to the SEA games team. Interesting ? and Olsen Racela coaches the youth team

merps baller the return
09-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Koreans don't have tall, strong and athletic backcourts, they also don't have the body to contain Douhit, but they do have fast ball movement and sharp shooting 3's. While the Phil. has the tournament score leader as their center,
Their backcourts can create problem for the Koreans like what Jordanians did to RP. Neither of the team enjoy home court advantage....I would say, tmrw's game is going to be 50:50, whoever is in better condition and luck will win the game. I will not predict nor bet on this one and since there is no clear evidence for me to follow, I'd go with my heart. Go Philippines!!!!!!!!!

lol definitely id go with my heart, beat the sokors and play in the wildcards!

donno
09-25-2011, 05:02 AM
of course, i want my country to win in this game. it will be tough but doable. the team must do the ff:

1. limit Korea's perimeter snipings- emulate on how China locked down on the Koreans shooters especially T.J. Moon. "asawahin" dapat nila yung mga shooters ng Korea.

2. perimeter shots must fall- Gilas must not again have that 3/23 shooting from the 3-point area in this game. Lassiter, Alapag and Lutz must connect their outside shots for Marcus to have an easy job scoring inside.

3. hustle and be aggressive- control those rebounds and box out Korea's big 3in the middle: Ha, Kim and Oh. fight for those every looseballs.

4. good support from Kelly, Ranidel and Asi- holding Marcus will surely be the Korean's main defensive strategy. these 3 PBA players must help Douthit in scoring, rebounding and defending the interior lane.

5. good start and strong finish- this is the last game for this Gilas generation. every player must play like there's no more tomorrow. players must play the "Gilas game" for the whole 40 minutes.

GO GILAS! WE CAN DO THIS! BAG THE BRONZE FOR US AND MAKE THE FILIPINOS EVEN PROUDER!

b3lowzro
09-25-2011, 05:27 AM
how do we stop Ha Seung Jin, in the Jones Cup he appeared to be unstoppable from the post and those hustle plays for Oh Se Keun.

sickcurtain_16
09-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Go Philippines! Laban Gilas! One more game, end this program strong! Hope it's not the last game we see these guys play together though.

rocketstar47
09-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Go Gilas we want a podium finish:D

Beastly
09-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Olsen Racela is the commentator on AKTV how ironic.

CKR13
09-25-2011, 08:21 AM
The Philippines did a great job limiting South Korea this first half and the Koreans are missing easy shots.

usausa
09-25-2011, 08:43 AM
47-36 Philippines, end of 3rd quarter! They can do this!

Marcus Douthit is an animal, double-double in first half, Kelly Williams has 7pts, 9 rebs, Jimmy Alapag got 14 pts, 4 threes....South Korea can't hit more than 2 in a row right now! FINISH IT!!!!:)

CKR13
09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
End of 3rdQ

47-36 PHI

Douthit and Alapag doing the most damage

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Here we go again....this cannot be happening.

CKR13
09-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Moon hits a three to take the lead for Korea 67-65.

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
OMG Korea has come back Moon Tae-jong hit a three to give them a lead 67-65 with 47 left.

CKR13
09-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Douthit splits his charities. 67-66 KOR. Jumpball.

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Oh Sekeun fouls out, Phils down 1 with 26.5, Kelly Williams on the line shooting 2

CKR13
09-25-2011, 09:08 AM
K. Williams will have two free throws.

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Kelly bricked both FT's....

CKR13
09-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Douthit into the line...

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Lassiter on the line now for 2 after Douthit splits 2, 9 seconds left, Phils down 2

CKR13
09-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Lassiter into the line 69-67 KOR with 9 secs. left.

Korea now has five players fouling out.

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Lassiters splits them...6 seconds left Korea on the line.

psychopath
09-25-2011, 09:13 AM
its so fitting olsen racela was the commentator for the phils tv today... missed free throws :D... its the inexperience

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
..Korea wins by 2....

CKR13
09-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Korea escapes 70-68. Congratulations to Korea.

usausa
09-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Philippines gonna kill themselves with all of the missed free throws and JV Casio mishandling the ball on the last possession...I can't believe it...these British announcers piss me off because they have no sense of the history in the rivalry (aka 2002).

bsgermany
09-25-2011, 09:16 AM
What a bitter end to this game. I'm glad I didn't place a bet on it - this finish would have given me a sure heart attack. Congratulations to Korea! :(

Khalid80
09-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Korea escapes 70-68. Congratulations to Korea.

That must be like one of the most heart breaking losses for team Philippines :(

So close yet they faltered at the end yet again....

oaba09
09-25-2011, 09:18 AM
What a game! Free throws killed us again(reminds me of the 2002 busan asian games)...Congrats to smart gilas for this very successful run in the FIBA Asia championships....This proves that we are one of the best basketball teams in asia...

rocketstar47
09-25-2011, 09:23 AM
kelly williams is so nervous

darkknight1200
09-25-2011, 09:26 AM
That must be like one of the most heart breaking losses for team Philippines :(

So close yet they faltered at the end yet again....

it has unfortunately become a bad habit, bro!

Beastly
09-25-2011, 09:26 AM
f--k Olsen Racela acting like he made the free throws back in Asian Games complaining about the miss free throws earlier. Damnnnnn I think he cried that's why he didnt say good bye after the coverage

donno
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
i wonder who the hell from AKTV put Olsen in this game. they should know that he maybe a jinx. the ghost of Busan is still haunting us.

yami6198
09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Maybe Gilas team don't want to play in the FIBA qualifying tournament next year because most of them will play in PBA this season and they're not sure if their mother team will allow them:confused:
I hope Mr.Pangilinan still support our Basketball program:)

tonysaade
09-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Maybe Gilas team don't want to play in the FIBA qualifying tournament next year because most of them will play in PBA this season and they're not sure if their mother team will allow them:confused:
I hope Mr.Pangilinan still support our Basketball program:)

great great game team pilipinas .... hard luck

reamily
09-25-2011, 09:41 AM
i wonder who the hell from AKTV put Olsen in this game. they should know that he maybe a jinx. the ghost of Busan is still haunting us.

lol no one should be blamed in this game specially olsen
lol

crouchingtiger
09-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Great game! Best in the whole tournament!

reamily
09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Great game! Best in the whole tournament!

absoultely even if it hurts if I am in a neutral country I would have an enjoyed it if we could have only won it it would be the sweetest games I see since one of my fav club team Alaska games in the championship (2007 I think)

psychopath
09-25-2011, 11:51 AM
its all about experience... the experience of playing in the big stage with everything at stake... most of jordan's and korea's players have played in the big stage already in the past... even though i think phils team is more favored to win and deeper than korea and jordan, phils didnt play with the level we know they are capable of playing because the nerves gets on them...

but hey, haddadi's iran, before they won asia in 2007 had heartbreaking losses in fiba asia to qatar, lebanon and korea in the span of 2003-2006... same with jordan, dahgles' and abbas' jordan had this kinds of loses as well in the final four in the past... just in 2009, jordan lost narrowly to iran in the semis... in 2007, jordan also tasted crucial defeats that made them finished a disapointing 5th place in the tourney...

in short, it takes a team to have these kinds of losses to be great in the future... if this smart-gilas national program will not have a continuity, then the losing experience of lassiter, lutz, casio, de ocampo, aguilar and tiu here will serve no purpose... the program should continue and important players mentioned above should be retained...

Cryotek
09-25-2011, 12:00 PM
kelly williams is so nervous

lol...even he's not nervous, he's still a bad ft shooter!

bukag.2011
09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
darn, not again....

Dr. T
09-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Bad Pun:

Will Smart Gilas make their free throws?

I Douthit

Jeffie
09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
A+ for effort for Smart-Gilas, but unfortunately, back to the drawing board.. The leaders of Philippine Basketball need to sit down and talk this over. We were so close.. Imagine if we sent the 12 best Filipino basketball players we could send. :confused:

seigle42
09-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Instinct suck! suck! suck! Final game of Philippines vs. S.Korea were created by WITCH!

crouchingtiger
09-25-2011, 04:20 PM
A+ for effort for Smart-Gilas, but unfortunately, back to the drawing board.. The leaders of Philippine Basketball need to sit down and talk this over. We were so close.. Imagine if we sent the 12 best Filipino basketball players we could send. :confused:

Are you kidding me? This is already the best you could come up with! Douthit was your go to guy, he made most of the crucial buckets and without him, RP won't stand a chance against this Korean team, and who is Douhthit? An American! What do you have left in your country? A better 7' center?

seigle42
09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Only non-filipino blood responsible for the teams EFFORT! Asi taulava you're mother hubbard!!! Grab your throat and choke team!

SupaRuki
09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Are you kidding me? This is already the best you could come up with! Douthit was your go to guy, he made most of the crucial buckets and without him, RP won't stand a chance against this Korean team, and who is Douhthit? An American! What do you have left in your country? A better 7' center?

Given the circumstances this was the best team we could come up with. But on paper there are a lot more talented players in the pro league which were never even considered from the get go. Then again there is a lot of politics involved preventing the country from sending the best players possible with adequate preparations. This is the reason why we had to resort to a program where college players formed the core of the team. If only douthit was surrounded by better material (taller and heftier guys from the pro ranks) then we would have had better chances. But still we cant say enough about the gallant effort of these kids and esp Douthit, it was our best finish in decades and this will serve as an eye opener to all our stakeholders to put their bickering aside to possibly make way for the best NT we can send for 2013.

Butata
09-25-2011, 10:44 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09gMfonePhfrp/x610.jpg

durden_tyler
09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
This wasn't as painful as 2002 but still painful.

Heartbreak kids of Asia, you can start calling us that until we get over the hump.

sickcurtain_16
09-26-2011, 12:22 AM

This photo explains all the emotions after the game. :(

Anyway, expect JV to become better. We'll also see these 2 guys, play against each other. This will be a good match up to look out for in the PBA. Passing of the torch? :)

reamily
09-26-2011, 12:25 AM
yeah they are very good but as bloody the standards Filipino is also how sentimental Filipino is..:D

Jayvee and Jimmy are defensive liabilities out there there are many pool of talents out there waiting for the chance

but thanks Jayvee, Jimmy and Andy for job well done:D:cool:

sickcurtain_16
09-26-2011, 12:27 AM

Heartbreak kids of Asia, you can start calling us that until we get over the hump.

HBK of Asia. hehehe. The pain between the 2 loses is different anyway but both games were actually ours for the taking. It's just freethrows are our waterloo during end games for both.

reamily
09-26-2011, 12:29 AM

this was as not as painful as the first because we experienced it before but this time its not you call a lucky moment shot.. this cho sung min want it more for Korea..undeniably one of games that he will never everrrr forget:D

crush
09-26-2011, 04:31 AM
congrats to korea!!! you guys deserved the hard earned win!!

congrats to gilas for making the semis!!! you have done a good job in representing our country!!! go team pilipinas!!

belbod9
09-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Congratulations to Gilas Pilipinas!

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SACRIFICES

WE STILL BELIEVE!!!

I'M PROUD TO BE PINOY! ahoo!

Batman
09-26-2011, 06:57 AM
This photo explains all the emotions after the game. :(

Anyway, expect JV to become better. We'll also see these 2 guys, play against each other. This will be a good match up to look out for in the PBA. Passing of the torch? :)

Passing of the Torch-Jimmy Alapag comforts JV CAsio after the latter made a desperation trey in the dying seconds during the bronze medal game against the South Koreans in the 26th FIBA Asia Championships in Wuhan, China last Sept. 15-25, 2011. Final score was 70-68.

SGP, let's make it to the 27th FIBA Asia Championships in 2013 where 3 slots are available for the 2014 FIBA World Cup plus 1 wild card for an FIBA World Qualifying Tournament.

Batman
09-26-2011, 07:58 AM
For those who support the Smart Gilas PIlipinas Program, you can visit to my blog @ http://sgp2fibaworld2014.blogspot.com/. I have just created it a few minutes ago as a sign for my undying support for our national team. We can exchange insights, thoughts, comments, reactions and everything revolving on our national team. Hoping that this will reach to MVP.

crouchingtiger
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
For those who support the Smart Gilas PIlipinas Program, you can visit to my blog @ http://sgp2fibaworld2014.blogspot.com/. I have just created it a few minutes ago as a sign for my undying support for our national team. We can exchange insights, thoughts, comments, reactions and everything revolving on our national team. Hoping that this will reach to MVP.

Where is your sig? Man of no honor? Cebu is a nice place, I have been there a couple of times for vacation, nice white sand beaches with good dive spots.

Batman
09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Where is your sig? Man of no honor? Cebu is a nice place, I have been there a couple of times for vacation, nice white sand beaches with good dive spots.

Why do say that I don't have honor? Please explain the phrase that was in bold letters.

crouchingtiger
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Why do say that I don't have honor? Please explain the phrase that was in bold letters.

Where is crouchy1, batman 0 sig? You bet RP won against Jordan, remember?

ylaine
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM
the Philippines placed four times ranked number four and one time ranked number one since china participated in the Asian basketball championship.

placed four were in the 1979, 1981, 1987 and the recently concluded 2011. and only one champion in 1986.

since 1985. the Philippines did not participate twice. in 2001 & 2005. and several times using the amateur players to compete.

marunongsabhay
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
filipinos have the talent but dont have the hieght or the physical aspects. im very disappointed about what happened to smart gilas.. bagging the 4th place is not enough for me but at least they try their best....MABUHAY!:)