PDA

View Full Version : 1981 South East Asian Games Basketball

seigle42
09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Can you have any results??

usausa
09-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Give me and hour or two and I'll take a look through my resources and see what I can dig up.

auspice
09-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Can you have any results??
1981 SEA GAMES (BASKETBALL-MEN)

Gold: Philippines
Silver: Malaysia
Bronze: Thailand

fordmo47
09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
The 1981 SEAG Basketball tournament held here in Manila is very famous for the title-game brawl in the mid-court starting with Frankie Lim and # 6 Leung of Malaysia on an inbound play.

Lim was sent by Leung out of bounds and was called for a lane violation. Lim retaliated by trying to steal the ball when he was returning inbounds while Leung was inbounding. Leung resented this and elbowed Frankie in the mid-section, then all hell broke loose.

The brawl also feaured notable flying kicks by Itoy Esguerra and Ed Cordero. JB Yango was also seen landing a few hay-makers. Of course, Ricky Relosa gave the viewing public a sneak preview of his PBA careeer by also being in the middle of it. Sports Weekly had lots of pictures on the Championship Fight.

The fisticuffs were witnessed by no less than Pres. Ferdinand Marcos himself. It was done in front of his seat at midcourt. This was the real Thrilla in Manila because it was held at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum while the 1975 Ali-Frazier bout was really held in Quezon City. The judges scored it 91-74 in favor of the Philippines.

The Philippine "UFC" team was coached by Teofilo Pumaren and was composed of:

4. Francisco Lim
5. Franz Pumaren
6. Angelito Esguerra
7. Federico Lauchengco
8. Elmer Reyes
9. Jose Bernardo Yango
10. Osmundo Rojales
11. Eduardo Cordero
12. John Copada
13. Wilton Roxas
14.Teodosio Alfarero
15. Ricardo Relosa

For the Malaysian side, besides enforcer Leung, other players I remember are Lon Ban Nol, who at 6' 6" was the tallest Malaysian player and that burly guy wearing # 13 whose unorthodox free throw shooting style always induced lined-up players to lane violations.

It was a revenge game because we lost to these Malaysians, 77-76 in the preliminaries.

seigle42
10-04-2011, 02:30 AM
The 1981 SEAG Basketball tournament held here in Manila is very famous for the title-game brawl in the mid-court starting with Frankie Lim and # 6 Leung of Malaysia on an inbound play.

Lim was sent by Leung out of bounds and was called for a lane violation. Lim retaliated by trying to steal the ball when he was returning inbounds while Leung was inbounding. Leung resented this and elbowed Frankie in the mid-section, then all hell broke loose.

The brawl also feaured notable flying kicks by Itoy Esguerra and Ed Cordero. JB Yango was also seen landing a few hay-makers. Of course, Ricky Relosa gave the viewing public a sneak preview of his PBA careeer by also being in the middle of it. Sports Weekly had lots of pictures on the Championship Fight.

The fisticuffs were witnessed by no less than Pres. Ferdinand Marcos himself. It was done in front of his seat at midcourt. This was the real Thrilla in Manila because it was held at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum while the 1975 Ali-Frazier bout was really held in Quezon City. The judges scored it 91-74 in favor of the Philippines.

The Philippine "UFC" team was coached by Teofilo Pumaren and was composed of:

4. Francisco Lim
5. Franz Pumaren
6. Angelito Esguerra
7. Federico Lauchengco
8. Elmer Reyes
9. Jose Bernardo Yango
10. Osmundo Rojales
11. Eduardo Cordero
12. John Copada
13. Wilton Roxas
14.Teodosio Alfarero
15. Ricardo Relosa

For the Malaysian side, besides enforcer Leung, other players I remember are Lon Ban Nol, who at 6' 6" was the tallest Malaysian player and that burly guy wearing # 13 whose unorthodox free throw shooting style always induced lined-up players to lane violations.

It was a revenge game because we lost to these Malaysians, 77-76 in the preliminaries.

i know they're all crazy and badboys team. coach jacobs ignored to compete the games because of weak competition.

usausa
11-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Here are the results I found using the Google News Archive:

Dec 7
Men
Thailand 83-80 Malaysia
Women
Thailand 61-54 Singapore

Dec 8
Women
Malaysia 66-55 Indonesia
Women