2011 FIBA Asia Championship Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 FIBA Asia Championship Women

So far only one was held, Eurobasket, and Russia qualified. USA and GB already qualified for other reasons.

Asian Qualifier starts this week, with China, Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipei, Lebanon and India vying for 1 spot.

All the rosters are available now.
    aim low, score high

Hope China will qualify.
    My fav players, Song Gao (she's only U19) and Shuang Zhao...of course !

Comment

2011 FIBA Asia Championship Women

China will host the Asian Women championchips 2011.
      There is again an splitting up in two Division/Groups.

Division/Group A

China
      India
      Japan
      South Korea
      Lebanon
      Taiwan

Division/Group B

Indonesia
      Kazakhstan
      Malaysia
      Singapore
      Sri Lanka
      Uzbekistan

Comment

China I believe is the favorite this time but the players are too young. Rebounding sucked against American/Australian teams but should be adequate in Asia. The serious issue is with the point guard position, 170cm Yang Banban doesn't have much bball IQ and 182cm Ding Yuan is not only too tall for a PG but also too chubby and slow.

Looking at Korea's roster, their three flagship players in the past decade, Beon Yeon-Ha, Jung Sun-Min and Park Jung-Eun are not in this year's roster but they also have good up-and-comers. Definitely should not overlook them. Don't know anything about their preparation, any idea CKR13?

Japan had done a lot of preparation this time around. They beat Canada 2-1 last week just like China did. They went to Australia just like China did. They'll play at home. Ex-WNBA player Yuko Oga is the best PG in Asia.

Chinese Taipei at this point is probably just a challenger of the big 3, even though just 3 or 4 years ago they were better than Japan. Their best player in Jones Cup, which they won, was Chiang Feng-Chun, who played in China last year and was just so-so against taller competition.

As for Lebanon and India, I highly doubt they will pose a challenge for East Asia even though they are improving.

Trivia: 14 players played in China-WCBA last season (China's 12 + Chinese Taipei's Chiang & Japan's Sachiko Ishikawa) and another played in 09-10 season (CT's Ma Yi-Hung). 13 players played in Korea-WKBL (Korea's 12 + China's Chen Nan). 13 players played in Japan-WJBL (Japan's 12 + Korea's Ha Eun-Joo). 3 played in WNBA (Japan's Oga; China's Chen Nan & Miao Lijie) and 2 played in Poland-PLKK (China's Guan Xin; Lebanon's naturalized American Brittany Denson). Ishikawa also played in Spain while India's Geethu Anna Jose played in Australia.
        Last edited by sinobball; 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM.
        aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
          China I believe is the favorite this time but the players are too young. Rebounding sucked against American/Australian teams but should be adequate in Asia. The serious issue is with the point guard position, 170cm Yang Banban doesn't have much bball IQ and 182cm Ding Yuan is not only too tall for a PG but also too chubby and slow.

Looking at Korea's roster, their three flagship players in the past decade, Beon Yeon-Ha, Jung Sun-Min and Park Jung-Eun are not in this year's roster but they also have good up-and-comers. Definitely should not overlook them. Don't know anything about their preparation, any idea CKR13?

Japan had done a lot of preparation this time around. They beat Canada 2-1 last week just like China did. They went to Australia just like China did. They'll play at home. Ex-WNBA player Yuko Oga is the best PG in Asia.

Chinese Taipei at this point is probably just a challenger of the big 3, even though just 3 or 4 years ago they were better than Japan. Their best player in Jones Cup, which they won, was Chiang Feng-Chun, who played in China last year and was just so-so against taller competition.

As for Lebanon and India, I highly doubt they will pose a challenge for East Asia even though they are improving.

Trivia: 14 players played in China-WCBA last season (China's 12 + Chinese Taipei's Chiang; Japan's Sachiko Ishikawa) and another played in 09-10 season (CT's Ma Yi-Hung). 13 players played in Korea-WKBL (Korea's 12 + China's Chen Nan). 13 players played in Japan-WJBL (Japan's 12 + Korea's Ha Eun-Joo). 3 played in WNBA (Japan's Oga; China's Chen Nan & Miao Lijie) and 2 played in Poland-PLKK (China's Guan Xin; Lebanon's Brittany Denson). Ishikawa also played in Spain while India's Geethu Anna Jose played in Australia.
          Sino do you think it is possible for Lebanon to compete with Chinese Taipei or are they very tough to beat?

I'm really hoping we can at least beat India but even that isn't going to be an easy task...

Main problem with us as always are our preparations for such events and of course our lack of professionalism (even though the team did start preparing almost 2 months ago but that's not enough imo)

No need to talk about height issues as well

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
            Sino do you think it is possible for Lebanon to compete with Chinese Taipei or are they very tough to beat?

I'm really hoping we can at least beat India but even that isn't going to be an easy task...

Main problem with us as always are our preparations for such events and of course our lack of professionalism (even though the team did start preparing almost 2 months ago but that's not enough imo)

No need to talk about height issues as well

If i take a look at the Lebanon roster on the Fiba-Asia Champs homepage, there is no Andersen, Alamedine to find. What happened to them?
            Only 4 players from 2009 "Dandan, Chada, Sevajin and Akl"..
            Last edited by tmlouk; 08-16-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmlouk View Post
              If i take a look at the Lebanon roster on the Fiba-Asia Champs homepage, there is no Andersen, Alamedine to find. What happened to them?
              Only 4 players from 2009 "Dandan, Chada, Sevajin and Akl"..
              Alameddine got married and just retired from the NT this summer.

Anderson also retired as she was coming back from a big injury and even though she played well for Lebanon she realized that she can't be able to play on a high level again so she decided to retire (remember she was drafted in 2nd place in the 2003 WNBA draft and ahead of Cheryl Ford and Kara Lawson!!!).

Check these threads we created for her when she joined the Lebanese Women NT two years ago.

Our NT is now passing through a new phase as they are many new young talented girls who joined the women NT.

Comment

Alameddine got married and just retired from the NT this summer.

Anderson also retired as she was coming back from a big injury and even though she played well for Lebanon she realized that she can't be able to play on a high level again so she decided to retire (remember she was drafted in 2nd place in the 2003 WNBA draft and ahead of Cheryl Ford and Kara Lawson!!!).

Check these threads we created for her when she joined the Lebanese Women NT two years ago.

Our NT is now passing through a new phase as they are many new young talented girls who joined the women NT.
                how talented are these girls, although, there are many "old" girls in the roster for the championchips. Lebanon didn`t play (if i am not wrong) any tournment in the last 2 years. Did they have any friendlies over the time?

Comment

how talented are these girls, although, there are many "old" girls in the roster for the championchips. Lebanon didn`t play (if i am not wrong) any tournment in the last 2 years. Did they have any friendlies over the time?
                  I guess I should have clarified regarding the word "talented". They're talented compared to Lebanese standards but i'm not sure we can really compare their level to that of the elite teams in Asia.

Aida Bakhos played in the NCAA division I with Lamar so she's quite experienced and definitely one of the best players on the team.

Yeah there still are some old girls on the team most notably Nisrine Dandan who is probably one of the best Lebanese players who have represented Lebanon as she's been playing with the NT ever since the mid 90's.

Chada Nasr and Tamara Khalil are now quite experienced as they've been on the NT for quite a while now and are amongst the veterans on the team.

The young girls i'm highlighting (Narine Gyokchyan and Rebecca Akl) are both just 18 years old and they both come from families who are well known in Lebanese Basketball.

Narine's father, Dikran, is a basketball coach (assistant coach of Riyadi, the Lebanese Champions and also previous assistant coach of the Lebanese NT). Her brother Hayk is playing in the States in the NCAA Division II.

Rebecca is the younger sister of Rodrigues Akl who was appointed as the captain of the Lebanese NT for men just a few days ago.

After the last Asian Championship the only tournament that the Lebanese women NT participated in was the Francophone games which were held in Beirut and right after the Asian Championship. Other than that the team hasn't played or practiced much and this is definitely a negative point that needs to be mentioned. I don't remember any friendlies taking place during these 2 years.

Comment

I would give Lebanon the edge over India current women's team. India sent the same NT roster to Asian Games and Jones Cup. At Asian Games they lost 107-39 to China, 98-44 to Korea, and lost by 8 pts to Thailand.

In Jones Cup they lost 94-49 to Taiwan, 98-62 to Japan's B Team, and lost by 7 pts to Taiwans Universiade team. India's lone victory was by 4 pts against Samsung of WKBL ... w/ Samsung missing its top 3 players for the tournament.

Geethu Anna Jose is 75% of India's scoring and rebounding, although at her recent WNBA trials it hurt that she's always had to play post in Indian tournaments during her career, usually against players shorter than her at 6'2". In WNBA trials they asked her to play at the guard position, and she didnt have ball handling, shooting or defensive ability to do that.

Comment

Chantelle Anderson (along with Kara Lawson) also starred 10 years ago in the USA WUG team that won the gold in Beijing, averaging 8.0ppg and 4.7rpg.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post

South Korea has been playing against the SK Women's U19 Squad some months back while they also played against the SK Women's Universiade team. This month, the squad is making its final training camp and practice matches against WKBL Teams plus players selection are being arranged.
                        Sacramento Kings
                        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Japanese Women's Team Profiles Part 1

Japanese Women's Team Profiles Part 2
                          Last edited by CKR13; 08-21-2011, 01:57 AM.
                          Sacramento Kings
                          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Any thoughts of tomorrows games? How competetive is Lebanon against Japan. Japan without SUWA, SAKURADA and SUZUKI.

Comment

Any thoughts of tomorrows games? How competetive is Lebanon against Japan. Japan without SUWA, SAKURADA and SUZUKI.
                              I don't think the Lebanese girls can defeat the Japanese team but I sure hope that they can give them a scare and keep the score close and fight it out till the end...

The thing is the Lebanese women NT didn't play against other teams so that we can compare their level... I do know that they played a friendly game against a good level group of young division 1 players (men) and lost to them by around 20 points.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information