PDA

View Full Version : 2011 FIBA Asia Championship Women

sinobball
08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
So far only one was held, Eurobasket, and Russia qualified. USA and GB already qualified for other reasons.

Asian Qualifier starts this week, with China, Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipei, Lebanon and India vying for 1 spot.

All the rosters are available now.
http://omura2011.fibaasia.net/

carlo
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Hope China will qualify.
My fav players, Song Gao (she's only U19) and Shuang Zhao...of course !

tmlouk
08-16-2011, 11:58 AM
China will host the Asian Women championchips 2011.
There is again an splitting up in two Division/Groups.

Division/Group A

China
India
Japan
South Korea
Lebanon
Taiwan

Division/Group B

Indonesia
Kazakhstan
Malaysia
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Uzbekistan

sinobball
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
China I believe is the favorite this time but the players are too young. Rebounding sucked against American/Australian teams but should be adequate in Asia. The serious issue is with the point guard position, 170cm Yang Banban doesn't have much bball IQ and 182cm Ding Yuan is not only too tall for a PG but also too chubby and slow.

Looking at Korea's roster, their three flagship players in the past decade, Beon Yeon-Ha, Jung Sun-Min and Park Jung-Eun are not in this year's roster but they also have good up-and-comers. Definitely should not overlook them. Don't know anything about their preparation, any idea CKR13?

Japan had done a lot of preparation this time around. They beat Canada 2-1 last week just like China did. They went to Australia just like China did. They'll play at home. Ex-WNBA player Yuko Oga is the best PG in Asia.

Chinese Taipei at this point is probably just a challenger of the big 3, even though just 3 or 4 years ago they were better than Japan. Their best player in Jones Cup, which they won, was Chiang Feng-Chun, who played in China last year and was just so-so against taller competition.

As for Lebanon and India, I highly doubt they will pose a challenge for East Asia even though they are improving.

Trivia: 14 players played in China-WCBA last season (China's 12 + Chinese Taipei's Chiang & Japan's Sachiko Ishikawa) and another played in 09-10 season (CT's Ma Yi-Hung). 13 players played in Korea-WKBL (Korea's 12 + China's Chen Nan). 13 players played in Japan-WJBL (Japan's 12 + Korea's Ha Eun-Joo). 3 played in WNBA (Japan's Oga; China's Chen Nan & Miao Lijie) and 2 played in Poland-PLKK (China's Guan Xin; Lebanon's naturalized American Brittany Denson). Ishikawa also played in Spain while India's Geethu Anna Jose played in Australia.

Khalid80
08-16-2011, 01:24 PM
China I believe is the favorite this time but the players are too young. Rebounding sucked against American/Australian teams but should be adequate in Asia. The serious issue is with the point guard position, 170cm Yang Banban doesn't have much bball IQ and 182cm Ding Yuan is not only too tall for a PG but also too chubby and slow.

Looking at Korea's roster, their three flagship players in the past decade, Beon Yeon-Ha, Jung Sun-Min and Park Jung-Eun are not in this year's roster but they also have good up-and-comers. Definitely should not overlook them. Don't know anything about their preparation, any idea CKR13?

Japan had done a lot of preparation this time around. They beat Canada 2-1 last week just like China did. They went to Australia just like China did. They'll play at home. Ex-WNBA player Yuko Oga is the best PG in Asia.

Chinese Taipei at this point is probably just a challenger of the big 3, even though just 3 or 4 years ago they were better than Japan. Their best player in Jones Cup, which they won, was Chiang Feng-Chun, who played in China last year and was just so-so against taller competition.

As for Lebanon and India, I highly doubt they will pose a challenge for East Asia even though they are improving.

Trivia: 14 players played in China-WCBA last season (China's 12 + Chinese Taipei's Chiang; Japan's Sachiko Ishikawa) and another played in 09-10 season (CT's Ma Yi-Hung). 13 players played in Korea-WKBL (Korea's 12 + China's Chen Nan). 13 players played in Japan-WJBL (Japan's 12 + Korea's Ha Eun-Joo). 3 played in WNBA (Japan's Oga; China's Chen Nan & Miao Lijie) and 2 played in Poland-PLKK (China's Guan Xin; Lebanon's Brittany Denson). Ishikawa also played in Spain while India's Geethu Anna Jose played in Australia.

Sino do you think it is possible for Lebanon to compete with Chinese Taipei or are they very tough to beat?

I'm really hoping we can at least beat India but even that isn't going to be an easy task...

Main problem with us as always are our preparations for such events and of course our lack of professionalism :cool: (even though the team did start preparing almost 2 months ago but that's not enough imo)

No need to talk about height issues as well :D

tmlouk
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Sino do you think it is possible for Lebanon to compete with Chinese Taipei or are they very tough to beat?

I'm really hoping we can at least beat India but even that isn't going to be an easy task...

Main problem with us as always are our preparations for such events and of course our lack of professionalism :cool: (even though the team did start preparing almost 2 months ago but that's not enough imo)

No need to talk about height issues as well :D

If i take a look at the Lebanon roster on the Fiba-Asia Champs homepage, there is no Andersen, Alamedine to find. What happened to them?
Only 4 players from 2009 "Dandan, Chada, Sevajin and Akl"..

Khalid80
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
If i take a look at the Lebanon roster on the Fiba-Asia Champs homepage, there is no Andersen, Alamedine to find. What happened to them?
Only 4 players from 2009 "Dandan, Chada, Sevajin and Akl"..

Alameddine got married and just retired from the NT this summer.

Anderson also retired as she was coming back from a big injury and even though she played well for Lebanon she realized that she can't be able to play on a high level again so she decided to retire (remember she was drafted in 2nd place in the 2003 WNBA draft and ahead of Cheryl Ford and Kara Lawson!!!).

Check these threads we created for her when she joined the Lebanese Women NT two years ago.

http://forums.interbasket.net/f68/chantelle-anderson-to-play-for-lebanon-11117/

http://forums.interbasket.net/f68/chantelle-anderson-said-goodbye-to-basketball-11645/

Our NT is now passing through a new phase as they are many new young talented girls who joined the women NT.

tmlouk
08-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Alameddine got married and just retired from the NT this summer.

Anderson also retired as she was coming back from a big injury and even though she played well for Lebanon she realized that she can't be able to play on a high level again so she decided to retire (remember she was drafted in 2nd place in the 2003 WNBA draft and ahead of Cheryl Ford and Kara Lawson!!!).

Check these threads we created for her when she joined the Lebanese Women NT two years ago.

http://forums.interbasket.net/f68/chantelle-anderson-to-play-for-lebanon-11117/

http://forums.interbasket.net/f68/chantelle-anderson-said-goodbye-to-basketball-11645/

Our NT is now passing through a new phase as they are many new young talented girls who joined the women NT.

how talented are these girls, although, there are many "old" girls in the roster for the championchips. Lebanon didn`t play (if i am not wrong) any tournment in the last 2 years. Did they have any friendlies over the time?

Khalid80
08-16-2011, 11:15 PM
how talented are these girls, although, there are many "old" girls in the roster for the championchips. Lebanon didn`t play (if i am not wrong) any tournment in the last 2 years. Did they have any friendlies over the time?

I guess I should have clarified regarding the word "talented". They're talented compared to Lebanese standards but i'm not sure we can really compare their level to that of the elite teams in Asia.

Aida Bakhos played in the NCAA division I with Lamar so she's quite experienced and definitely one of the best players on the team.

Yeah there still are some old girls on the team most notably Nisrine Dandan who is probably one of the best Lebanese players who have represented Lebanon as she's been playing with the NT ever since the mid 90's.

Chada Nasr and Tamara Khalil are now quite experienced as they've been on the NT for quite a while now and are amongst the veterans on the team.

The young girls i'm highlighting (Narine Gyokchyan and Rebecca Akl) are both just 18 years old and they both come from families who are well known in Lebanese Basketball.

Narine's father, Dikran, is a basketball coach (assistant coach of Riyadi, the Lebanese Champions and also previous assistant coach of the Lebanese NT). Her brother Hayk is playing in the States in the NCAA Division II.

Rebecca is the younger sister of Rodrigues Akl who was appointed as the captain of the Lebanese NT for men just a few days ago.

After the last Asian Championship the only tournament that the Lebanese women NT participated in was the Francophone games which were held in Beirut and right after the Asian Championship. Other than that the team hasn't played or practiced much and this is definitely a negative point that needs to be mentioned. I don't remember any friendlies taking place during these 2 years.

Mr. Basketball
08-17-2011, 06:46 PM

I would give Lebanon the edge over India current women's team. India sent the same NT roster to Asian Games and Jones Cup. At Asian Games they lost 107-39 to China, 98-44 to Korea, and lost by 8 pts to Thailand.

In Jones Cup they lost 94-49 to Taiwan, 98-62 to Japan's B Team, and lost by 7 pts to Taiwans Universiade team. India's lone victory was by 4 pts against Samsung of WKBL ... w/ Samsung missing its top 3 players for the tournament.

Geethu Anna Jose is 75% of India's scoring and rebounding, although at her recent WNBA trials it hurt that she's always had to play post in Indian tournaments during her career, usually against players shorter than her at 6'2". In WNBA trials they asked her to play at the guard position, and she didnt have ball handling, shooting or defensive ability to do that.

carlo
08-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Chantelle Anderson (along with Kara Lawson) also starred 10 years ago in the USA WUG team that won the gold in Beijing, averaging 8.0ppg and 4.7rpg.

CKR13
08-20-2011, 02:44 AM

South Korea has been playing against the SK Women's U19 Squad some months back while they also played against the SK Women's Universiade team. This month, the squad is making its final training camp and practice matches against WKBL Teams plus players selection are being arranged.

CKR13
08-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Japanese Women's Team Profiles Part 1 (http://www.japanbasketball.jp/?p=4468)

Japanese Women's Team Profiles Part 2 (http://www.japanbasketball.jp/?p=4474)

tmlouk
08-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Any thoughts of tomorrows games? How competetive is Lebanon against Japan. Japan without SUWA, SAKURADA and SUZUKI.

Khalid80
08-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Any thoughts of tomorrows games? How competetive is Lebanon against Japan. Japan without SUWA, SAKURADA and SUZUKI.

I don't think the Lebanese girls can defeat the Japanese team but I sure hope that they can give them a scare and keep the score close and fight it out till the end...

The thing is the Lebanese women NT didn't play against other teams so that we can compare their level... I do know that they played a friendly game against a good level group of young division 1 players (men) and lost to them by around 20 points.

CAREY33
08-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Can anyone provide some links on finding in game scoring updates as well as final scores? Thanks.

tmlouk
08-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Can anyone provide some links on finding in game scoring updates as well as final scores? Thanks.

http://omura2011.fibaasia.net/

livescore is also available there, if it is like years before..

JGX
08-21-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=11-7465-0-0-0&sID=223281

CAREY33
08-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Can someone confirm the final score for the Malaysia/Kazkhstan game?

There seems to be conflicting scores on the fiba site ;

http://omura2011.fibaasia.net/ScheduleResults.aspx

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/5075/03/84/42/102bah6rEb7U6/

tmlouk
08-21-2011, 07:55 AM
In my opinion, it`s getting time, that teams aren`t playing in 2 Divisions anymore. Ok, class difference is big between f.e. Uzbekistan and Japan, but
it should be like the Men Championchips, where teams have to qualify from SEABA, WABA a.s.o..
This tournament is only every to 2 years and i don`t see a problem in it, if teams like China playing against Sri Lanka, like they also do in ASIAN GAMES.
It means more Groups, new games (not only the same..china vs japan) something else than the last 10-15 years.

basketcager
08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Can someone confirm the final score for the Malaysia/Kazkhstan game?

There seems to be conflicting scores on the fiba site ;

http://omura2011.fibaasia.net/ScheduleResults.aspx

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/5075/03/84/42/102bah6rEb7U6/

i think the one on the fiba asia website is correct than the live stats score.

check this: http://www.fibaasia.net/UserImages/GPDF012011820205848.PDF

CKR13
08-22-2011, 12:36 AM
South Korea 99 China 93

Cho Yun-Ah 29 points for the Koreans.

http://jumpball.co.kr/jump_imgs/04/20110821/a5_1.jpg

CKR13
08-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Japan 77 Lebanon 49

daniab
08-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Lebanon 19 - China 13

End of 1st Q

Lebanon 35 - China 39

End of 2nd

Great show by the Lebanese ladies

CKR13
08-22-2011, 08:46 AM
South Korea 83 India 47

mavrick_h
08-22-2011, 09:12 AM
still a great work by our woman :)

down 11 at the end of the 3rd Q

nice to see matching a team ranked at # 8 on FIBA rankings :D

babdelkader
08-22-2011, 09:30 AM

We should end 4th to keep it Serie A ??

babdelkader
08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Lebanon 51 - China 65

babdelkader
08-22-2011, 09:43 AM

58-79 !!! last quarter is catastrophic !!!

mavrick_h
08-22-2011, 09:45 AM
We should end 4th to keep it Serie A ??

In order to balance the level of competitions, the Championship shall be played in two levels: Level I and Level II.

The number of the teams in Level I is set at six (6). The teams to be qualified into Level I of the Championship must be already set out at the end of the previous Championship by the FIBA ASIA Women Committee, using as basis, the teams' performance at that Championship.

Level I:

The teams will form one (1) group. Each team will play all the other teams in the group in one (1) Preliminary Round. The four best-placed teams in this round will qualify into the Final Round.

Semi Finals:
Final Round:
Game 1 1 vs 4
Game 2 2 vs 3

Finals:
Final Round:
Game 3 Loser 1 vs Loser 2 (3rd and 4th)
Game 4 Winner 1 vs Winner 2 (1st and 2nd)

Level II:

The other teams will form one (1) group. Each team will play all the other teams in the group in one (1) Round. FIBA Official Basketball Rules for "Classification of Teams" shall apply for standing of the teams in the group.

Qualification to Level I of next Championship: At the end of the Preliminary Round the 5th & 6th placed teams in Level I and the 1st & 2nd placed team in Level II will play decisive games for qualification to Level I of the next FIBA ASIA Women Championship:

Game 1 5th Level I vs 2nd Level II
Game 2 6th Level I vs 1st Level II

Winners of Game 1 and Game 2 will have the right to play in Level I of the next FIBA ASIA Women Championship beside the four best placed teams of Level I of this Championship.

Losers of Game 1 and Game 2 will have to play in Level II of the next FIBA ASIA Women Championship.

mavrick_h
08-22-2011, 09:52 AM
so basically finishing fourth that means two victories (doesn't apply every time)

4th means we made history (hard but not impossible)
5th means we need to win vs the second from Level II (possible)
6th means we need to win vs the first from Level II (hard, but possible)

i can see our chances only against India, Taipei is a bit hard but with a great performance we might see history written :D

mavrick_h
08-22-2011, 10:01 AM
58-79 !!! last quarter is catastrophic !!!

it's ok they played 25 min of potential basketball and much better performance from yesterday.

playing among the best 6 in asia is already a great achievement.

55th overall 13th in Asia after this tournament if we stay on Level I that means we're gonna climb the FIBA rankings. which is pretty good :)

sinobball
08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Lebanon is better than expected, or, China is worse than expected. Still a big win for China without it's top 2 players. Rookie Zhao Shuang cried after the game on the bench after 2 lackluster (but actually acceptable) performances.

Despite finally parting ways with the big 3 (Jung Sun-Min, Beon Yeon-Ha and Park Jung-Eun) Korea is still fielding some really old players: Lee Mi-Sun (1979), Kim Ji-Yoon (1976), Kim Kwe-Ryong (1979 not 1989 like the official site claims) and many more born in the early-1980s. They only have 2 players born after 1989 while China has 5. Even if we add 3 years to China's ages since they're untrustworthy China is still significantly younger than Korea. So the double-OT loss is acceptable, even if China relied a lot on its older players in the game. Hope the Final will be different. Japan of course can't be ruled out.

Mr. Basketball
08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
china 87 - india 38

im predicting lebanon over india by 15 points

sinobball
08-23-2011, 11:09 PM
In my opinion, it`s getting time, that teams aren`t playing in 2 Divisions anymore. Ok, class difference is big between f.e. Uzbekistan and Japan, but
it should be like the Men Championchips, where teams have to qualify from SEABA, WABA a.s.o..
This tournament is only every to 2 years and i don`t see a problem in it, if teams like China playing against Sri Lanka, like they also do in ASIAN GAMES.
It means more Groups, new games (not only the same..china vs japan) something else than the last 10-15 years.Why do you think it's getting time? Lebanon got destroyed by Chinese Taipei NT (the weakest in years BTW). As been pointed out, the East Asian countries have occupied the top 4 in every single Asian Championships since 1984 despite the format undergoing numerous changes through out the decades. Also, are you sure China vs. Sri Lanka makes it more interesting? I think not.

Actually I absolutely hate the qualifying thing, I wish the men's FIBA-Asia would have the women's system. With the women's system at least the serious Division II teams have a chance to qualify to the Division I and challenge the top teams, like what Lebanon did. With the men's stupid qualifiers, teams like Afghanistan or Turkmenistan would never qualify ever even though they may be better than, say Malaysia (I'm not sure, but it's possible, and we'll never know because there is no system for the number of slots per region to change, and when they did, such as in 2009 with the inclusion of Sri Lanka, the reason wasn't rational. But I digress.)

I watched a bit of the Lebanon-China game. Lebanon isn't terrible, defend hard, know what they're doing and exhibit pretty good basketball IQs (or in other words well coached). It comes down to fundamentals and the little things and they appear to be a bit slow/mechanical (and short). A Chinese reporter interviewed them today and wrote a flattering portrait of these women, how they improved over the years despite lack of funding. Given some funding they could go places but you'd need a professional league to REALLY improve and I know this is very difficult to achieve.

mavrick_h
08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Why do you think it's getting time? Lebanon got destroyed by Chinese Taipei NT (the weakest in years BTW). As been pointed out, the East Asian countries have occupied the top 4 in every single Asian Championships since 1984 despite the format undergoing numerous changes through out the decades. Also, are you sure China vs. Sri Lanka makes it more interesting? I think not.

Actually I absolutely hate the qualifying thing, I wish the men's FIBA-Asia would have the women's system. With the women's system at least the serious Division II teams have a chance to qualify to the Division I and challenge the top teams, like what Lebanon did. With the men's stupid qualifiers, teams like Afghanistan or Turkmenistan would never qualify ever even though they may be better than, say Malaysia (I'm not sure, but it's possible, and we'll never know because there is no system for the number of slots per region to change, and when they did, such as in 2009 with the inclusion of Sri Lanka, the reason wasn't rational. But I digress.)

I watched a bit of the Lebanon-China game. Lebanon isn't terrible, defend hard, know what they're doing and exhibit pretty good basketball IQs (or in other words well coached). It comes down to fundamentals and the little things and they appear to be a bit slow/mechanical (and short). A Chinese reporter interviewed them today and wrote a flattering portrait of these women, how they improved over the years despite lack of funding. Given some funding they could go places but you'd need a professional league to REALLY improve and I know this is very difficult to achieve.

well said couldn't agree more :)

for example men's AC could be best of 8 teams Level 1
and another 8 for Level 2

As for the Lebanese woman NT well your words are enough proof that basketball runs in every Lebanese person. Competing in Level 1 with a budget of 50-60 K not sure though is a great contribution. In addition the Lebanese woman league isn't so popular as the men's. We barely see league games unless attending the games in the stadium unlike the men's league...lack of media coverage definitely not helpful.
we don't have a pro league for men even though some clubs are spending huge amounts every season, but nothing comparable to the CBA. How can we have a pro league for the woman ? it's near to impossible i guess :D

CKR13
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
South Korea 104 Lebanon 79

http://jumpball.co.kr/jump_imgs/04/20110824/a555_0.jpg

mavrick_h
08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
South Korea 104 Lebanon 79

http://jumpball.co.kr/jump_imgs/04/20110824/a555_0.jpg

congrats :) very reasonable score

lebanese phoenix
08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
guys let's be serious,the chinese are lightyears ahead of us in terms of women basketball, our only chance will be against india i guess, and i hope for the best, i dont want us to get back to level II.
we should work and prepare harder for the next 2 years,maybe by then we will be strong enough to snatch a win against chinese tapei and maybe Japan.
as for being able to compete on the title,i think we need a good 6-8 years plan to seriously boost our level to be able to compete.
wish all the best to our women, wish shada wasent injured:( i think we could've pulled better,more acceptable results

JGX
08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
What happens if more than 12 teams want to participate? Are there any regional qualifiers at all?

sinobball
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
What happens if more than 12 teams want to participate? Are there any regional qualifiers at all?
Apparently it's on a first-come first serve basis:
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/despite-seaba-crown-ph-womens-team-shut-out-of-asian-tilt

It's ridiculous but it doesn't take away the strength from the 2-division format. The problem is scheduling and probably FIBA Asia's reluctance to pay for the attendance of more teams. In previous years they had a different format in Division II (with 8 teams) than Division I. I guess FIBA lost money so they have started to limit the field to only 12.

mavrick_h
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
The Lebanese first historical win, Congrats Lebanon :D

hopefully we will stay in Level I

sinobball
08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Four do-or-die games in a few hours:

Lebanon - Kazakhstan
India - Malaysia

Winners will play in Division I in 2013. Kazakhstan, Malaysia and Indonesia actually tied in both record and head-to-head record but point differentials broke the tie.

China - Japan
Korea - Chinese Taipei

Same games as today, which China won by 22 and Korea passed by only 2. But anything can happen tomorrow.

daniab
08-27-2011, 06:49 AM
WE DID ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Lebanon will remain among the Elite teams in Asia, great results for our fighters, they had no camps, no preprations, nothing nothing, and yet they finished 5th with 2 wins!
Proud of them!

Khalid80
08-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Congrats for the Lebanese Woman NT for defeating Kazakhstan and being able to remain in Level 1 among the elite teams in Asia :) !!!

Denson was a beast with 31 points and 20 Rebounds!!!

Lebanon 65–54 Kazakhstan

Scoring by quarter: 26–14, 8–13, 11–14, 20–13

Lebanon

Pts: Denson 31
Rebs: Denson 20
Asts: Nasr 5

Kazakhstan

Pts: Kurazova, Kondrakova 17
Rebs: Kondrakova 13
Asts: Kurazova, Kondrakova 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_FIBA_Asia_Championship_for_Women

lebanese phoenix
08-27-2011, 10:20 AM
WE DID ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Lebanon will remain among the Elite teams in Asia, great results for our fighters, they had no camps, no preprations, nothing nothing, and yet they finished 5th with 2 wins!
Proud of them!

great news, i was afraid we'd loose against kazakhestan and have to wait 4 more years to be able to compete with the elite teams.
i think that for now we should start focusing on the next ABC tournement, we must train hard these 2 coming years if we are to make it to the semis in years:)

mavrick_h
08-27-2011, 10:52 AM
this is awesome that's what i was hoping for staying in Level 1 :D

what a game by Denson !!!

Congrats Lebanon hopefully we will climb some places in the next FIBA rankings announcement

sinobball
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
China-Korea rematch to determine the only spot to London. With 7 players with Olympic experience (compared to just 2 for China) Korea will be very formidable. For China, Chen Nan has been unstoppable but will have to bang against a bigger Ha Eun-Joo, who like her brother mostly sits on the bench but has been quite effective when she's on the floor. China's young players are more or less struggling from the stats I see and probably won't be trusted to be on the floor too long but we need someone to step up for the W.

Mr. Basketball
08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
India women hold off Malaysia 66-60 to remain in Level 1.

this is the third Championship in a row India has beaten Malayasia. same scenario happened in 2009, going 0 - 5 in group, then beating Malaysia in qualifying round. In 2007 India went 5 - 0 in level 2, then beat Malaysia to take their sport in level 1.

really doesnt mean much as India was blown out by all opponents in level 1 except Lebanon, which was 19 point defeat.

Going into the tournament coach Pete Gaudet was saying the games against Lebanon and Malaysia were India's real tournament.

carlo
08-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Title game:
China - South Korea 65-62

Third place:
Japan - Chinese Taipei 83-56

China qualified to 2012 Oly.

CKR13
08-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Congratulations to the Chinese Women. Job well done Ladies!

sinobball
08-30-2011, 12:51 AM
http://osenimg.mt.co.kr/gisaimg/2011/08/28/201108281711779669_2.jpg
Choi Youn-Ah (#6) starts crying immediately after the Final loss against China. "I missed the last shot and I remembered our old players on the bench. This is their last tournament with us."

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7872/a52b.jpg
Japan's Yuko Oga was devastated after the semi-final loss against China. "The goal was to go to London and I'm deeply sorry that we failed everyone." Oga wore kicks with the English words "3.11 never forget" written on them, in a tribute to the earthquake victims earlier this year.

http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/485c5182gw1dkj8fod1fxj.jpg
China's Zhao Shuang crying after, not a loss, but a big win against Lebanon. The following quote from FIBAasia.net (except they got the name wrong): "That’s the spirit of the youngster who feels she hasn’t done enough," said China coach Sun Fengwu. "It’s good and bad. Good because she feels could have done better, bad because she can’t express it better than crying," he chuckled.

At least it wasn't a teary ending for her.
http://img1.gtimg.com/2/256/25605/2560577_550x550_0.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8150/792480922916748.jpg

Good learning experience for all the Chinese youngsters, they got big helps from our veterans, but come London time they'll be in charge and hopefully they won't struggle as much.

Now it's our boys turn to do the same.