PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Asia '11 Central Asia Qualifier [Jul 28-Aug 4 Uzbekistan]

Mojado
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
28 July to 4 August in Navoi, Uzbekistan.

Kazakhstan: May not field a team as there are monetary problems to pay their coaches and players.
Uzebkistan: The hosts didnt do well in the past Asian Games and were only able to beat small-sized North Korea. Best player is young forward Samender Juginisov while veteran forward Hurmatjon Nuraliev adds socring as well. Vyacheslav Denisov plays in the Ukraine for Dynamo Dnepropetrovsk.
Tajikistan: ???
Turkmenistan: They have some pro players in Otbozin (211cm, BK Almaty) and Aleksandr Pashkov (BK Almaty) but lost to Mongolia in the Asian games last year.
Afghanistan: All players are U.S. citizen (with Afghani background though), but FIBA may makes an excemption so the country can field a team in Navoi in a FIBA competition for the first time. They were able to beat India in the South Asian Games last year and did well in the Asian Games in 2006. May have a good chance to qualfiy if FIBA lets them play.

mohsena2631
07-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Kazakhstan: May not field a team as there are monetary problems to pay their coaches and players.
Uzebkistan: The hosts didnt do well in the past Asian Games and were only able to beat small-sized North Korea. Best player is young forward Samender Juginisov while veteran forward Hurmatjon Nuraliev adds socring as well. Vyacheslav Denisov plays in the Ukraine for Dynamo Dnepropetrovsk.
Turkmenistan: They have some pro players in Otbozin (211cm, BK Almaty) and Aleksandr Pashkov (BK Almaty) but lost to Mongolia in the Asian games last year.
Afghanistan: All players are U.S. citizen (with Afghani background though), but FIBA may makes an excemption so the country can field a team in Navoi in a FIBA competition for the first time. They were able to beat India in the South Asian Games last year and did well in the Asian Games in 2006. May have a good chance to qualfiy if FIBA lets them play.

both Otbozin and Pashkov played also in Iran as import for the poorest team of the Iranian league ! I think they are good for this level.

I hope to see one of our neighbours in the main tournament. Turkmenistan or Afghanistan :D

but I checked some Afaghani news websites and I found nothing about this tournament in any of them :confused:

sinobball
07-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Not sure how relevant this information is, but “poor” Kazakhstan is sending a team to the World Military Games which will start this weekend (so is Uzbekistan, and other Asian countries like Qatar and South Korea.)

http://www.rio2011.mil.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1508%3Acompetition-program&catid=170&Itemid=89&lang=en

Can't find rosters though. If the past is an indication I believe Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan usually send something really close to an NT to these military tournaments.

tmlouk
07-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Are you sure, that Tajikistan will take part at this qualification?

Mojado
07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Are you sure, that Tajikistan will take part at this qualification?

How about contributing something to this board instead of asking always? "Geben und Nehmen" ;)

Uzebkistan's roster at the military games...should be the same in the qualifiers:
http://www.rio2011.mil.br/results/ENG/BK/[email protected]@@@@@@@ENG_number=3.htm

tmlouk
07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
KAZACHSTAN plaing with just 3 guys of their SENIOR NT TEAM there:

Rustam Murzagaliyev (193-G/F-92)
Vsevolod Fadeykin (206-C-85) of BK Astana
Maksim Smirnov (200-F-86) of BK Almaty Alma-Ata
Dmitriy Klimov (200-F-88) of Barsy Atyrau
TIMOSHIN Aleksey
Vasili Savchenko (189-G-87) of Barsy Atyrau
Yuriy Kozhanov (194-G-90) of BK Almaty Alma-Ata
Ivan Nechayev (186-G-82) of Barsy Atyrau
Dmitriy Gavrilov (203-F-86) of Barsy Atyrau
Ivan Kulkin (195-F-88) of BK Atyrau

But maybe that`s also team for the qualifiers, if the rumors about the financial problems are true

Walken
07-18-2011, 09:48 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://nav.uz/news/news_city/10062-basketbolisty-zavoevali-kubok-uzbekistana.html
maybe Kyrgyzstan will participate instead Tajikistan. but who knows: its Central Asia - everything is decided in the last 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Mamo Rafiq
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Hello Friends,

As the Head Coach for the Afghanistan National Team I am honored to join everyone on this blog. I always read comments on here, but decided to join the fun.

We are working out all the final details so we are prepared to compete at the FIBA Middle Asia Zone Qualifying tournament. I believe we are scheduled to play Turkmenistan on July 30, 2011.

At this time we are having several setbacks with our VISA support and also finalizing all of our airfare. The team is prepared to play and we hope to be extremely competitive at this tournament.

Look forward to hearing from you all and thanks for all the great details on the blogs. Take Care!

-Mamo Rafiq

sinobball
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Hello Friends,

As the Head Coach for the Afghanistan National Team I am honored to join everyone on this blog. I always read comments on here, but decided to join the fun.

We are working out all the final details so we are prepared to compete at the FIBA Middle Asia Zone Qualifying tournament. I believe we are scheduled to play Turkmenistan on July 30, 2011.

At this time we are having several setbacks with our VISA support and also finalizing all of our airfare. The team is prepared to play and we hope to be extremely competitive at this tournament.

Look forward to hearing from you all and thanks for all the great details on the blogs. Take Care!

-Mamo RafiqHey coach, welcome!

I have a question about the Afghan team. I've read that most of them were born in the USA, could you enlighten us on this? Is this the "VISA support" you were referring to?

Afghanistan is a good team, I remember the CBA team Shanxi with 2 imports lost to them in a 2010 Taiwan tournament.

Mamo Rafiq
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, several of our players are Afghan-American. Most were born in Afghanistan and came to the US as refugees in the early-mid 80's. We are set to receive our VISA from the Uzbekistan Embassy tomorrow and will depart for the tournament on Wednesday July 27, 2011.

The communication from the Uzbekistan Basketball Federation and Middle Asia Zone has not been great. At this moment an exact schedule or teams has not been released. We are under the impression that our first game is on July 30, 2011 versus Turkmenistan, but are not 100% sure.

I have requested more information several times and am hopeful to hear back soon. If anyone on the thread has further info it would be great to share it on here. Does anyone know the gymnasium location? Hotels near the gymnasium location?

Thank you in advance. Thank you for your comment about our team and the victory versus Shanxi. That was a great win for us and we had such a great time in Hua Lien, Taiwan.

-Mamo

gary81
07-25-2011, 07:07 AM
HEY,COACH

I am very surprise to hear that it seems you know so little about the game. today is july 25, three days before qualifier, they even don't tell you how many teams will attend or an exact schedule? I don't know either....
As a chinese basketball fun, my friends and I all hope Afghanistan can come to Wuhan.when refer to Afghanistan,we all think of war and reconstruction there.
so we want to see basketball there, hope you can get the qualifier!
If you come to Wuhan on september, maybe I will cheer for your team with my friends !
best wishes!!

Mamo Rafiq
07-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Gary81

Thank you very much for your kind words. We were honored to participate in the 2010 Asian Games. Our experiences in China were amazing and the main attraction was the people and the hospitality.

Our goal is to compete at the highest level. We must first participate in the Middle Asia Zone and God willing we will have a chance to play in Wuhan.

I will keep you all posted as we will learn of our VISA situation tomorrow. At this time we believe Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Afghanistan are the (3) teams who will compete for the 16th and final spot in Wuhan.

Take Care!

-Mamo Rafiq

gary81
07-25-2011, 09:15 AM
hi~coach

wish your VISA situation good results.

only 3 teams participate in the Middle Asia Zone?

I think Uzbekistan maybe your biggest opponent.

would you like tell me your team's training situation or introduce some players of your team? I will share them with my friends.

anyway~come on and fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!

see you in Wuhan !!!!!!!!!

usausa
07-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Coach Rafiq,

What is your roster for this upcoming championship?

And may I ask, would you be able to get copies or pictures of the boxscores from the tournament? I am a huge statistics collector, its my hobby. All around the forums I ask for statistics from different tournaments. I feel like Uzbekistan won't help much and if you had the chance to get these stats, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, I would like to wish the team good luck! Living here in the US I follow the international scene, but I follow Asia a lot more than anywhere else. I root for this team because all we hear about is the war over there...and I think that this basketball team is one of the great stories from the country. I was disappointed when India beat you guys in the Asian Games, I thought you guys were gonna pull it out. But the SAF Games triumph last year is something I am sure you are all proud of. I hope it works out for you guys in the qualifier, Afghanistan is a real quality side and will give teams trouble if they make it to Wuhan.

Thanks,
Martin

usausa
07-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Wish I could get a better translation.
Article (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://nav.uz/news/news_city/10062-basketbolisty-zavoevali-kubok-uzbekistana.html)

But it looks like Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan are participating in the 4-day event. My guess it that it will be a sinlge round robin format.

mohsena2631
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Wish I could get a better translation.
Article (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://nav.uz/news/news_city/10062-basketbolisty-zavoevali-kubok-uzbekistana.html)

But it looks like Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan are participating in the 4-day event. My guess it that it will be a sinlge round robin format.

It says no
http://fibaasia.net/NewsDetails.aspx?id=1160

Schedule of games

30.07.11: Afghanistan - Turkmenistan
31.07.11: Uzbekistan - Afghanistan
01.08.11: Rest day
02.08.11: Uzbekistan Turkmenistan

Mojado
07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Gary81

Thank you very much for your kind words. We were honored to participate in the 2010 Asian Games. Our experiences in China were amazing and the main attraction was the people and the hospitality.

Our goal is to compete at the highest level. We must first participate in the Middle Asia Zone and God willing we will have a chance to play in Wuhan.

I will keep you all posted as we will learn of our VISA situation tomorrow. At this time we believe Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Afghanistan are the (3) teams who will compete for the 16th and final spot in Wuhan.

Take Care!

-Mamo Rafiq

Mamo,

if you qualify for the Asian Champs, you should consider contacting Achmadschah Zazai in Germany. He's a pro and is going to play in the BBL, Germany's first division for Nowitzki's former-team.

Mamo Rafiq
07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Hello All,

Afghanistan will not participate in the FIBA Middle Asia Zone Qualifying Tournament in Uzbekistan. This is a very unfortunate and sad day for us. We submitted our final roster and all necessary paperwork nearly (1) month ago and the Uzbekistan Embassy will not provide our VISA for travel.

I find it amazing that Uzbekistan Basketball Federation is only hosting a (3) team tournament and can not help us obtain VISA support in time to participate in this tournament. I have sent an email to FIBA Asia regarding the situation and have asked the tournament be rescheduled so we have a fair chance to qualify for the Asian Championships.

Furthermore, it can not be overlooked how Afghanistan was magically moved from the SAARC division of Middle Asia and sent over to the "Stan" division with no explanation given to us.

We respect what India is doing with basketball and are very happy for their development with the NBA. I find it hard to believe that after beating them twice last year that we were moved out of their division by luck. They beat the other teams in that division by 60-70 points and simply did not want any competition in route to Wuhan.

For a country like Afghanistan to go through so much and now be stripped of an opportunity to represent the country in a positive way is truly embarrassing. The players and I have been working hard for the past (4) months preparing for this Uzbekistan tournament.

I am hopeful for an investigation into our VISA situation and also our Zone for the actions which have been taken.

Please advise if anyone has any further information on how to proceed with FIBA or filing a dispute to postpone this tournament.

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

-Mamo Rafiq

sinobball
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Conspiracy aside, is this maybe because many of your players are applying for Uzbek visas using American passports for the purpose of playing for Afghanistan? I think some embassies don't like the roundabout thing if you don't use Afghan passports. Last time you played in the Hua-Lien tournament your team was identified as "U.S. All-Stars" (at least in Chinese). The explanation was it was for visa purposes.

This also happened to the ongoing FIBA World U19 Women's Championship, with Nigeria (consisting mostly of Nigerian-Americans) denied visas by Chile.

Sad situation indeed.

gary81
07-29-2011, 11:21 PM
hi~coach Rafiq
Sorry to hear the news your team will not participate in the Tournament .
so ,as you say, the last Qualifications to Wuhan will be confirmed between
Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. I think Uzbekistan will get the Qualification very easy.
what can we say ...maybe FIFA Asia also want at least one team from Middle Asia (Afghanistan belongs to South Asia ?) can come to Wuhan.
anyway ,best wishes to you and your guys.

usausa
07-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Hello All,

Afghanistan will not participate in the FIBA Middle Asia Zone Qualifying Tournament in Uzbekistan. This is a very unfortunate and sad day for us. We submitted our final roster and all necessary paperwork nearly (1) month ago and the Uzbekistan Embassy will not provide our VISA for travel.

I find it amazing that Uzbekistan Basketball Federation is only hosting a (3) team tournament and can not help us obtain VISA support in time to participate in this tournament. I have sent an email to FIBA Asia regarding the situation and have asked the tournament be rescheduled so we have a fair chance to qualify for the Asian Championships.

Furthermore, it can not be overlooked how Afghanistan was magically moved from the SAARC division of Middle Asia and sent over to the "Stan" division with no explanation given to us.

We respect what India is doing with basketball and are very happy for their development with the NBA. I find it hard to believe that after beating them twice last year that we were moved out of their division by luck. They beat the other teams in that division by 60-70 points and simply did not want any competition in route to Wuhan.

For a country like Afghanistan to go through so much and now be stripped of an opportunity to represent the country in a positive way is truly embarrassing. The players and I have been working hard for the past (4) months preparing for this Uzbekistan tournament.

I am hopeful for an investigation into our VISA situation and also our Zone for the actions which have been taken.

Please advise if anyone has any further information on how to proceed with FIBA or filing a dispute to postpone this tournament.

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

-Mamo Rafiq

The VISA scenario is very unfortunate. I do not know the politics involved, but I thought maybe at least Uzbekistan would have been able to promise visas prior to submitting entries.

As for you guys being moved to the 'Stans' section, I think almost all the forumeres were here were shocked at how blatant FIBA Asia was in making India's path to Wuhan easy, all because of NBA connections. I for one was truly confused and shocked. Right now I am still in the process of adding up all the stats, but right now it looks ugly.
And then with the schedule coming out, I thought for sure Afghanistan was my favorite to advance out the 'Stans' section anyway. But it just goes to show they have respect for your team, and they are scared. You have one of the best up and coming guards in Mohammed Mojadidi.

As for your situation, I would try to call FIBA-Asia first to get an explanation and/or postponement of the tournament. Then if you still have issues, call FIBA directly. FIBA-Asia and FIBA (from my experiences) don't usually answer emails and if they do, its not very fast. Plus calling them will allow you to better explain your situation. I'm sure from there FIBA might be able to direct you on maybe how to file a protest if possible. In my opinion, I don't think htey are going to help that much, but it is always worth a shot.

Hope I was able to help you out a little bit, guide you in the right direction.
Good luck Coach Rafiq, hope it all works out!

Mr. Basketball
07-30-2011, 01:25 AM
It makes no sense to move Afghanistan from the SAARC division to the "Stan" division if the host nation of Uzbekistan wasnt going to allow Visa for the Afghan players, whose roster situation in well known in International Basketball. Why then is Uzbekistan hosting the "Stan" division if theyre not allowing the best team in that division to travel for competition? Also unexplained is why Afghanistan was removed from SAARC and whether pressure was exerted on FIBA to create this situation.

reamily
07-30-2011, 04:19 AM
Ah these situation may have resulted to some sad endings to some countries but I still believe that this may be the start of "change" in FIBA.

I think if FIBA specifically the FIBA asia as a whole want to develop basketball to the potential high market yet green basketball countries such as India why would you not set up the "Stankovic Cup" or a new Cup as the tournanment for 2nd division teams as the top 5 teams qualify to the Asian Championship

10 + 5 + host scenario

the scenario would be the top 10 teams in the previous fiba asia will get the slots for their subzones so if Iran, Lebanon Jordan and Syria in the top 10 might as well give them 4 slots for waba, if theres a case that a subzone is not represented in top 10 i.e South Asia might as well give them at least one slot.

most likely that a top 10 asian basketball country would host the games so added one slot to the subzone he belongs the except if the subzone is only represented by a lone country in the top 10 i.e the SEABA and south asia.

if fiba asia would like make asian basketball a more than 20 nt affair they should do this but the problem here is budget and logistics

Mojado
07-30-2011, 07:13 AM
This also happened to the ongoing FIBA World U19 Women's Championship, with Nigeria (consisting mostly of Nigerian-Americans) denied visas by Chile.

Sad situation indeed.
Any link to that? Nigeria's basketball federation lacked the money to travel from what I heard.

Mamo, contact FIBA in Switzerland via phone and speak to them directly. FIBA Asia is not going to help you, you need to get higher to force actions.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/FIBA/fibaStaff/p/openNodeIDs/8970/selNodeID/8970/fibaStaff2.html

Even if travelling with an US passport, the team should have been told about the risks in first place of being possibly denied to enter. Also, if I host a qualifier, I make sure there won't be travel restrictions for the country's teams. Otherwise, I'm not supposed to host it. Also the SAARC-qualifierhas been very shady. Pakistan probably had the same problem like Afghanistan regarding visas...

Story about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/sports/basketball/keeping-afghan-mens-basketball-alive-is-a-scramble.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Mamo Rafiq
07-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Hello All,

First off thank you for your support. All of our players and I applied for Uzbekistan VISAs using our Afghanistan Passports. Although several of our players live in the US we have been issued Afghan Passports. They had all been extended and copies were sent to the Uzbekistan Basketball Federation nearly (1) month ago.

We did everything the right way and got burned twice. Once by being moved out of the SAARC division for no reason and second by not allowing our team to travel for a chance to move on to Wuhan.

It is completely unacceptable for these countries to handle business in this matter. Our team is not over confident and we would never guarantee anything, but our players were extremely prepared to play in this upcoming tournament.

I have several very close friends from India and even a brother in law whom is from there, so I have nothing bad to say. The whole purpose of playing basketball is to compete and India simply did not compete at all during their qualifying round which was held in New Delhi.

Unlike several other countries we may not be able to recover from this situation. Time will tell, but just know that everything that has gone down was done in the wrong way.

How can (2) countries play in a qualifying tournament? If anything they should have all (3) countries show up a few days prior to Asian Championship and play to see who deserves the final bid to play in Wuhan.

Just my thoughts............Best of luck to all the teams you guys support.

Take Care!

-Mamo Rafiq

Mojado
08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
The whole thing is just shady. And I bet a lot of money that FIBA wont do shit against it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/30/sports/basketball/afghan-mens-basketball-team-denied-chance-at-olympics.html

Butata
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Politics once again rearing its ugly head in sports. Shame on FIBA for allowing this to happen!!! I feel for coach Mamo and his gallant team. Please don't give up!!!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/29/sports/y-basketball-2/y-basketball-2-popup.jpg

makotosing
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
whats going on with this FIBA stan qualifier.. something's fishy.

sinobball
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Any link to that? Nigeria's basketball federation lacked the money to travel from what I heard.Check the U19 thread in women's section, JGX and carlo had some good info there. Here's a link courtesy of JGX, of course it might have been an excuse
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adn.es%2Finternacional%2F201107 21%2FNWS-0925-Nigeria-Chile-disputa-mundial-ausenta.html

Chinese embassy needs to learn a lesson from Uzbekistan and deny Hamed Haddadi's visa... or delay issuing it right until right before the CBA. :D

But for Afghanistan this is no joke. I mean all the preparation that is lost. I feel for you, but knowing FIBA Asia, you'd be lucky if they don't suspend you "for not showing up".

Mojado
08-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Check the U19 thread in women's section, JGX and carlo had some good info there. Here's a link courtesy of JGX, of course it might have been an excuse
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adn.es%2Finternacional%2F201107 21%2FNWS-0925-Nigeria-Chile-disputa-mundial-ausenta.html

Chinese embassy needs to learn a lesson from Uzbekistan and deny Hamed Haddadi's visa... or delay issuing it right until right before the CBA. :D

But for Afghanistan this is no joke. I mean all the preparation that is lost. I feel for you, but knowing FIBA Asia, you'd be lucky if they don't suspend you "for not showing up".

Thank you for the link!
Nigerian media outlets reported, that the NBBF could not fund any of the youth teams (U-16 Boys and U-19 Girls) due to the inability of the government. Although the NBBf said something else: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/08/03/no-cause-for-alarm-umar-allay-fear-over-fibas-ban/ (No doubt, an excuse)

Guyana once requested visa for two players that were based in Guyana for the Centrobasket in Puerto Rico and the request was denied.

I think FIBA Asia will slap Afghanistan with a fine...they dont like the fact,that all Afgahni players got their Afghani passports later, as that would mean they were naturalized, since they had only U.S. passports from the beginning on.

Walken
08-03-2011, 09:30 AM
interesting article about kazakh basket federation - http://www.prosportkz.kz/ru/news/9630.html (on russian)

kazakh basket federation budget:
2007 - 205k usd
2008 - ~70k usd
2009 - ~55k usd
2010 - ~55k usd
2011 - ~17k usd (~40-45k on paper)
for normal preparation (only for 1 national team - except youth and other programms) needed about 80-100к...

sinobball
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
interesting article about kazakh basket federation - http://www.prosportkz.kz/ru/news/9630.html (on russian)

kazakh basket federation budget:
2007 - 205k usd
2008 - ~70k usd
2009 - ~55k usd
2010 - ~55k usd
2011 - ~17k usd (~40-45k on paper)
for normal preparation (only for 1 national team - except youth and other programms) needed about 80-100к...But why?

And Astana Tigers has money to join VTB league (Astana to Brno... 5hr flight? Not cheap...) can't they donate some to the NT?

mohsena2631
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Schedule of games

30.07.11: Afghanistan - Turkmenistan
31.07.11: Uzbekistan - Afghanistan
01.08.11: Rest day
02.08.11: Uzbekistan Turkmenistan

today is 3 August 2011 !!! any news ?

Mamo Rafiq
08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Mojado,

Hope all is well. The players did not receive their Afghan passports later. We have all had our Afghan Passports for nearly 3-5 years. These are the same passports we have registered for the following tournaments: 15th Asian Games, 2010 South Asian Games and 16th Asian Games.

Nearly (1) month before the tournament we provided all our Afghan Passports and also applied for VISA with our Afghan Passports. When Uzbekistan did not provide an invitation letter from their Foreign Ministry connected with our Afghan passports in a desperation move we tried to obtain VISA with our US Passports.

According to the Uzbekistan Embassy website a US Passport does not need an invitation letter in order to visit Uzbekistan. We tried this as a last resort to make sure we could get there for the tournament. Uzbekistan Embassy denied that attempt as well claiming when a group of US travelers travel together they need an invitation letter. (I could not find the group rule anywhere on the Embassy website).

All the players on this team are Afghanistan Citizens. We do not have any naturalized players. A few were born in Afghanistan, but most were born in the United States to Afghan refugees. Each players birth certificate states that both parents were born in Afghanistan. We don't even have any players whom are 50% Afghan, they are all born to (2) Afghan born citizens.

We will see what happens. Hopefully we get a fair chance to win/lose on the basketball court. We are ready to play Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan anytime and anywhere before the Asian Championships.

-Mamo Rafiq

Walken
08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
But why?

And Astana Tigers has money to join VTB league (Astana to Brno... 5hr flight? Not cheap...) can't they donate some to the NT?
global and the official reason for budget cuts is "financial crisis" :rolleyes:. but unofficially - the lack of interest in investing in basketball: no chance to qualify for the Olympics (and practically same to qual for world champ) - this is the main stupid reason for the Government (money go to those types of sport where federations can guarantee medals at least at the Asian Games). unpopularity of the basketball (as compared to football), the lack of tax incentives - the main reason for the lack of private investment.
in addition, the current chairman of the federation, Shmakov, is out of confidence.
bc Astana - is largely PR-project like cycling team or hockey team Barys. on this wave maybe some investments in the federation, but not too big. if vtb league company will go well for bc astana, maybe there will be some changes for federation too. in general, bc Astana and federation are absolutely different structures, not interacting with each other (except the tournament fee for participants in the nat champ, but its unessential fee)

Mr. Basketball
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
The two times India and Afghanistan played, at 2010 AG and SAG, there was a skirmish between the teams after the game.

India doesnt win much at FIBA major tournaments, they want to at least be able to dominate their sub zone, which wasnt 100% assured with Afghanistan's recent arrival back in FIBA and placement in South Asian zone. Really, no team wants to compete too much within their sub zone, they want the easiest path to qualifying. Its not unlikely that NBA/BFI had Afghanistan removed from South Asian region because there was too much competition between the two squads.

Without Afghanistan around, India can crush the South Asian group easily. At U-16 qualifier completed today in Delhi, India beat Nepal 134-36 and Sri Lanka 122-34. At the Men's AC qualifier, India beat Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan by similar scores.

Thats why the "Stan" group was created, the only FIBA zone solely based on alphabetical similarities in the names of the countries.

Mojado
08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Mojado,

Hope all is well. The players did not receive their Afghan passports later. We have all had our Afghan Passports for nearly 3-5 years. These are the same passports we have registered for the following tournaments: 15th Asian Games, 2010 South Asian Games and 16th Asian Games.

Nearly (1) month before the tournament we provided all our Afghan Passports and also applied for VISA with our Afghan Passports. When Uzbekistan did not provide an invitation letter from their Foreign Ministry connected with our Afghan passports in a desperation move we tried to obtain VISA with our US Passports.

According to the Uzbekistan Embassy website a US Passport does not need an invitation letter in order to visit Uzbekistan. We tried this as a last resort to make sure we could get there for the tournament. Uzbekistan Embassy denied that attempt as well claiming when a group of US travelers travel together they need an invitation letter. (I could not find the group rule anywhere on the Embassy website).

All the players on this team are Afghanistan Citizens. We do not have any naturalized players. A few were born in Afghanistan, but most were born in the United States to Afghan refugees. Each players birth certificate states that both parents were born in Afghanistan. We don't even have any players whom are 50% Afghan, they are all born to (2) Afghan born citizens.

We will see what happens. Hopefully we get a fair chance to win/lose on the basketball court. We are ready to play Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan anytime and anywhere before the Asian Championships.

-Mamo Rafiq

1. Regarding the passports and birth certificates, it'as a tricky thing with FIBA. Your players received the passports not as youth players but as senior men players which would mean, they are "naturalized" under the rules and regulations of FIBA. I know from first hand, that your case with the Afghan-American players has been discussed there in the past years and how to deal with this. However, I have no idea to what conclusion FIBA came. Also, look at Belize's case, where players had the same problems with the rules made by FIBA and went to court against them and won.

2. All the international competitions you competed in, are not FIBA competitions. They don't matter to FIBA.

3. I still hope you can sneak somehow into the FIBA Asia champs. There is a lot of publicity on this whole thing, maybe FIBA Asia gets under fire for doing you guys wrong.

gary81
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
it seems the game is delayed ?
and Afghanistan team are waiting for the result of basketball court?

any news of the game ? who will get the last ticket to Wuhan?

usausa
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
it seems the game is delayed ?
and Afghanistan team are waiting for the result of basketball court?

any news of the game ? who will get the last ticket to Wuhan?

when someone finds out the news i promise you it will be posted here promptly.

JGX
08-04-2011, 11:43 PM
1. Regarding the passports and birth certificates, it'as a tricky thing with FIBA. Your players received the passports not as youth players but as senior men players which would mean, they are "naturalized" under the rules and regulations of FIBA. I know from first hand, that your case with the Afghan-American players has been discussed there in the past years and how to deal with this. However, I have no idea to what conclusion FIBA came. Also, look at Belize's case, where players had the same problems with the rules made by FIBA and went to court against them and won.

FIBA doesn't have any real eligibility rules. Some countries are allowed to field anyone they want, other countries are subject to FIBA's incorrect interpretation of their own rules.

For the Nigerian U19 women, one of their players tweeted a few weeks before the tournament that half the team was ineligible due to "new FIBA rules".

Mamo Rafiq
08-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well. We are still waiting for news from FIBA Asia and Middle Asia Zone as to what is going on. I spoke with Middle Asia Zone and they have no idea what is going on or if the (2) team tournament took place.

Considering the tournament was scheduled for July 30 - August 2 someone should know what is going on August 6. Uzbekistan Basketball Federation is not responding to any emails or phone calls for the past 3-4 days.

The players and I are prepared to travel anywhere to play in the near future. We are hopeful FIBA get this whole situation figured out and we get a chance to attempt to qualify for Wuhan. The most important factor is communication and at this time the communication is not very good.

If they re-schedule a tournament I hope they allow enough time for us to obtain a VISA to whatever country hosts the tournament.

Keep us posted if anyone hears anything different and I will do the same. Tnx!

-Mamo

Walken
08-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan 81-59

usausa
08-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Ah you beat me by about 10 minutes Walken.

http://nav.uz/news/news_city/10365-match-mezhdu-komandami-uzbekistana-i-turkmenistana.html

Is that right, it says the match took place on 31 July?

Mamo Rafiq
08-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Hello All,

Thank you very much for the update. I find it amazing that you guys are posting the final scores and FIBA Asia and FIBA Middle Asia Zone does not know the outcome of this (2) team tournament.

I spoke with the Head of FIBA Middle Asia Zone (Sharma - India) just (2) nights ago and he had no idea of anything regarding this game. Its amazing how Uzbekistan has won (1) game and will qualify for Wuhan.

We are hopeful FIBA will open an investigation into this situation. How can the host country not help Afghanistan obtain VISA and then win (1) game and qualify for the Asian Championship.

We have officially started the appeals process with the Olympic Council of Asia and will hopefully get somewhere with FIBA Asia very soon.

Thank you all for your support and we hope to be treated with respect and given a fair opportunity to play the game we love.

-Mamo Rafiq

Walken
08-07-2011, 10:57 AM
report about game - in russian (http://znamya.uz/cgi-bin/main.cgi?lan=r&raz=9&god=2011&mes=8&pg=1&id=7664) (google translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://znamya.uz/cgi-bin/main.cgi%3Flan%3Dr%26raz%3D9%26god%3D2011%26mes%3D 8%26pg%3D1%26id%3D7664))
Aleksandr Kozlov scored 23 pts. interesting to reading interview of Turkmen coach about organization of the tournament :rolleyes:

usausa
08-08-2011, 06:45 AM
This whole situation is a travesty. FIBA Asia and FIBA, in my opinion, will be of little help (though I really do hope I am proven wrong).

I truly wish Coach Rafiq that it all works out for you guys to get a fair chance. It's absurd to think that all the personal funds and time preparing to qualify that have been spent by you and your players (none or very little money from the federation) may be wasted. And despite all this nonsense, I get the feeling that every player and staff member is committed to the squad. That bond is something that nobody can break, and for that I commend the Afghan squad and hope for continued improvement!

basketcager
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
This whole situation is a travesty. FIBA Asia and FIBA, in my opinion, will be of little help (though I really do hope I am proven wrong).

I truly wish Coach Rafiq that it all works out for you guys to get a fair chance. It's absurd to think that all the personal funds and time preparing to qualify that have been spent by you and your players (none or very little money from the federation) may be wasted. And despite all this nonsense, I get the feeling that every player and staff member is committed to the squad. That bond is something that nobody can break, and for that I commend the Afghan squad and hope for continued improvement!

It is official now: Uzbekistan will go to Wuhan!!!

http://fibaasia.net/NewsDetails.aspx?id=1226