Kyrie Irving Born in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyrie Irving Born in Australia

I had no idea about this until just now, but Kyrie Irving was born in Australia. He lived there until he was 2-years-old while his father, Dederick Irving (any info on him?) was playing for Bulleen. Australia and the US allow dual-citizenship, which Irving has.

He has given "serious consideration" to playing for Australia's senior team.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

The funny thing is nobody seemed to acknowledge on draft night that he was born in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by BBallfanJ View Post
      The funny thing is nobody seemed to acknowledge on draft night that he was born in Australia.
      Why not? I've read some articles about this before. He wants to play for Australian national team. Irving and Mills in point guard position would be awesome.
      I'm on twitter

Comment

He played for the USA last summer at the Fibas America with Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller thus is not eligible to play for another country. He was born in Australia but mother and father are american so his only link to down under is to be born there and living no more than 2 years thére.

Comment

Its first time that i dont know nothing about nr 1 draft. Is he better than Wall?

Comment

Originally posted by hoopscoop View Post
            He played for the USA last summer at the Fibas America with Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller thus is not eligible to play for another country. He was born in Australia but mother and father are american so his only link to down under is to be born there and living no more than 2 years thére.
            According to some media, he would be let to play for Australia.

oksford2001, no, he isn't.
            I'm on twitter

Comment

Thank you, maybe he will be silent hero. Who knows

Comment

"Let play" is not so easy. This contradicts FIBA rules and the process is highly complicated. Last year he spoke glowingly about representing his country, that is the USA. In predraft chatting he tells a throng of journalists this idea playing for Australia, maybe there was an australian journalist nearby, I wasnt there. But matter of fact there is not such an official procedure at the moment moving, neither to FIBA, USAB or the australian federation. The facts are pure and simple, he is an american who played internationally for the USA, therefore if he really would like to represent Australia (I doubt this indeed) the procedure looks like this.
                KI and the aussie federation have to sign up a petition to FIBA, if USAB says njet it is already over. Even if all the parties agree, FIBA has to conclude that the breach of statue is in the best interest of basketball. If the Kiwis argue that with such a move they lose the balance of power they would have a point. The matter Olajuwon 1996 was an 4-year struggle with the highest political powers involved. That is the simple truth.

Comment

"Let play" is not so easy. This contradicts FIBA rules and the process is highly complicated. Last year he spoke glowingly about representing his country, that is the USA. In predraft chatting he tells a throng of journalists this idea playing for Australia, maybe there was an australian journalist nearby, I wasnt there. But matter of fact there is not such an official procedure at the moment moving, neither to FIBA, USAB or the australian federation. The facts are pure and simple, he is an american who played internationally for the USA, therefore if he really would like to represent Australia (I doubt this indeed) the procedure looks like this.
                  KI and the aussie federation have to sign up a petition to FIBA, if USAB says njet it is already over. Even if all the parties agree, FIBA has to conclude that the breach of statue is in the best interest of basketball. If the Kiwis argue that with such a move they lose the balance of power they would have a point. The matter Olajuwon 1996 was an 4-year struggle with the highest political powers involved. That is the simple truth.
                  He declared his wish much much more before the draft.
                  I'm on twitter

Comment

Whether he has born there or not, I don't like the precedent that's been set by some federations allowing foreign nationals to act as *mercenary* players. Irving has no real ties to Australia other than the fact that his dad played there briefly and he lived there until the age of two. On principle alone, Basketball Australia should take some pride in their program and deny Irving a roster spot and allow someone born and raised there to play for their country. I'm fine with any player representing another country under these circumstances...

* A player's mother or father is from another country, thus giving him/her duel citizenship status.
                    * A player has married someone from another country and has applied for citizenship.
                    * A player has played professionally in another country for a number of years and has gained citizenship.
                    * A player immigrated to another country but still wants to represent his/her country of origin.
                    Last edited by Federoy; 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                      Whether he has born there or not, I don't like the precedent that's been set by some federations allowing foreign nationals to act as *mercenary* players. Irving has no real ties to Australia other than the fact that his dad played there briefly and he lived there until the age of two. On principle alone, Basketball Australia should take some pride in their program and deny Irving a roster spot and allow someone born and raised there to play for their country. I'm fine with any player representing another country under these circumstances...

* A player's mother or father is from another country, thus giving him/her duel citizenship status.
                      * A player has married someone from another country and has applied for citizenship.
                      * A player has played professionally in another country for a number of years and has gained citizenship.
                      * A player immigrated to another country but still wants to represent his/her country of origin.
                      I believe Australia is actively courting him. I don't think he will play for them. I mean he's basically an anchor baby. He has no cultural ties to Australia. Many countries act slutty when it comes to getting players. I'm not judging so much as it's an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                        I had no idea about this until just now, but Kyrie Irving was born in Australia. He lived there until he was 2-years-old while his father, Dederick Irving (any info on him?) was playing for Bulleen. Australia and the US allow dual-citizenship, which Irving has.

He has given "serious consideration" to playing for Australia's senior team.
                        It will never happen. Especially if there is a need for him on Team USA.

Comment

Long Shot for Irving to play for Australia

For Irving to play for Australia there will be heavy negotiations between FIBA, USA Basketball and Basketball Australia as expected as FIBA Article 3-23 states that that a player who has represented a country after his 17th birthday may not play for another nation unless given Special Consideration by the FIBA Secretary General (Patrick Baumann).
                          Sacramento Kings
                          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by Raze Lupin View Post
                            It will never happen. Especially if there is a need for him on Team USA.
                            As I've read, Irving had chat about national team with coach and he said he doesn't see any place for Irving right now.
                            I'm on twitter

Comment

Irving giving serious thought to playing for Australia:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/jaso...sEnabled=false

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information