Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Daghlas : Jordanian Basketball needs everyone's support more than ever - May 11,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Daghlas : Jordanian Basketball needs everyone's support more than ever - May 11,

Asia-basket.com is glad to host Jordan National Team & CBA Star Daghlas Osama (199-G-79, college: Midwestern St.) , talking about his experience in China , Jordan NT and other subjects .

-What are the differences between CBA and Jordanian League ? Can we some day develop such a League in Jordan ?
    First thing, their higher levels of play in the CBA than in Jordan league. They go after top imports in china and in Jordan this year they didnt have imports. The league is promoted at a higher scale then Jordan. The fan base is a lot bigger then Jordan. Fans really come out and support their teams in china. China league has much better exposure. But the Jordan league did have its moment few years ago when the league had imports and was competitive, Jordan has good basketball players and they are waiting for the break through to excel and show their talent. Jordan basketball was at a real high few years ago and now its at its lowest. But they are working on bringing the game back and i hope it happens soon.

- How was the Compeition between you , Zaid abbas and Zaid alkhas in your Games against each other in CBA ?
    It was real fun to compete between each other. We always cheered each other on when we were not playing each other, talked after games and so on. I guess since i won one and lost one to both of them we can't really talk smack to each other this summer.

- What's your Next Destinantion ? Will we see you again in Jordan ?
    Its tough to answer this question because but at this point in my career i don't see my self-playing at a lower level league if i don't have to. i enjoy competing at a higher level so much. If god willing i stay healthy I still have good years a head of me because I train hard, smart and take care of my body. We will see what the future brings for me.

- You have visited Jordan Months ago and met Jordanian Federation President Helal Barakat , Can you give us some info about this interview ?
    We talked about the future of the national team and what direction the federation is leading towards. The federation does want to put a good team together to try to qualify for the 2012 Olympics. I hope they fallow on their word and find the right coach that can lead us to hopefully qualifying for the 2012 Olympics.

- What do you think of Zain club ? is ASU club a photocopy of Zain ? and what are ASU's chances in FIBA Asia Champions cup in Philippines next May ?
    I was very disappointed with what took place with Zain club. The problem tell this day no one really knows what happen! Zain stablished a great team and name for them self and its very disappointing to see them throw it all away that easy. Lots of teams do so much to reach what Zain accomplished in 7 years. To tell you the truth i don't know a lot about ASU yet but i hope they are in it for the right reasons because they have a very good team and they can accomplish a lot in the up coming years. They need to have a smart sport management people around them that can lead them to be one of the top teams in Aisa. I think we are going to do well in Arab and Asia. we have a very good players, veterans players that are aware of the task we have ahead of us. I hope we stay health through out the tournaments from there we should be ok and hope to be competing for the title for Arab and Asia come finals day.

- What are Jordan NT chances in the next FIBA Asia 2011 in China this Summer ? Can we get a coach like Jordan NT EX-Coach Mario Palma ?
    I think if we get the right coaching staff and prepare correctly like we have with coach Palma we could have a shot to qualify. But for now im not sure whose coaching and what kind of preparation we have stored. I do think the new federation is trying to find a good replacement for coach Palma which we all know it going to be tough. We are thankful players in jordan because we've had great coaches to come through here names like coach Robert Taylor, Maz Trakh, Mario palma, Mario Gomez. ( sorry if i forgot any names )

- What are Sam's remaining Basketball Targets ?
    To keep working hard and try to improve daily. Im hoping I'll be back in China next season and i can lead my team to the playoffs and maybe more. Im also working on hosting camps for kids to help them improve and get a chance in basketball on the basketball court or off the court.

- Are you with Naturalizing a Big Man instead of Rasheim Wright ?
    You know its very hard for Jordan to naturalizing someone, we were lucky that Mr. Tark Zubai was able to help jordan basketball and get us Rasheim who did real well for us. At the end of the day Rasheim help us get to the World cup and no one will ever deny that.

What do you think about the Asian player rule ?
    I love the Asian rule. I think more countries in Asia need to incorporated to their league especially west Asian teams. This rule has a huge impact on helping improve the league. It helps raise the level of the league and players. I've wanted Asian countries to act on this rule for a while now and I'm happy to see china took action on it. Thats what separate china from all the other countries in asia now. China league is at its top point right now. That's what makes Europe so much stronger then Asia. The Bozeman rule allows Europeans to play as locals players in other countries in europe. We all see where it took European basketball. Europe is right there under the best league in the world, which is the NBA. Hope we can see that in Asia soon.

- Your Last words for the Jordanian Basketball Fans ?
    Please we need everyone's support now more then ever. Basketball needs the help of the local people, business, media and who ever think they can help in any way. Jordan playing in the 2010 world cup was an eye opener for the whole world and why destroy that when you have great talent in are basketball players.

pLAY yOUR gAME , dON'T b aSHAMED

Here's why Jordanian basketball needs more fan support: fan support is the only way to grow the sport. Fans turn into players or fans turn their children into players. Daghlas and the two Zaids are fantastic players, so they need to be sure that more fantastic players are coming up...Daghlas is not a "spring chicken" anymore.

Jordan (and Syria) has so much potential. They should be competing more with Lebanon in southwest Asia.

Nice to see that he thinks he'll be back in China next year, by the way. He deserves to be in a good league.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Some are saying that the "Asian import" rule will be changed or even totally scrapped next year. But I think Daghlas and Z. Abbas will nevertheless stay in China. Teams will use a regular foreign player slot to sign them, they are proven now. Rumors are claiming that Shanxi, which mostly would not have an "Asian import" slot next season, will just do that to retain Daghlas. But one thing to keep in mind is, if you take an "import" slot instead of an "Asian import" slot your chances of getting cut just increased 20 fold.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Actually ASU gonna break the rules and have 4 imports in FIBA Asia Champions cup

Fan support is essential , in Jordanian League Final Game was in the Hall about 3000 fans and it is a big number in comparison to the usual number in the League ..... The problem that Riyadi-Aramex & ASU are Companys clubs and don't have their own fan base ....

Jordanian basketball is coming back
        pLAY yOUR gAME , dON'T b aSHAMED

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information