Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is Philippine National Team greatest team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is Philippine National Team greatest team?

Which is Philippine mens national team better?

1911-17 - Far Eastern Games gold medalist

1936 - Olympic games 5th place (4-1 record)

1954 - Asian Games gold medalist/World Championship bronze

or

1985-86 - FIBA-Asia gold medalist/Jones Cup gold won over USA
    1911-17
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1985-86
    0%

The poll is expired.

THE poll options must include the 1973 team that won the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC) Men's Championship at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, the last time we won the crown with an all-Filipino lineup led by the immortal Ramon Fernandez.
    Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
    Servinio's Blog of Sports
    Servinio's Official YouTube channel
    Servinio's Official TWITTER account
    Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Originally posted by Servinio
      THE poll options must include the 1973 team that won the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC) Men's Championship at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum,
      I completely agree. This team captured the hearts of the Filipino people and unified the country at a time when there was much uncertainty (during the height of the Martial Law regime). I remember that it was the first time that there was a nationwide broadcast of a basketball game over domestic TV... and everyone was glued to the TV screen watching the exploits of our national team... a phenomenon that preceded the national "mania" every time Manny Pacquiao fights.

And the quality of the competition was very good. Japan had Masatomo Taniguchi, Shigeaki Abe (PG) and a giant named Numata; while South Korea had the legendary Shin Dong Pa. Iran, then, was not even a factor.

At that time, there was no PBA yet... and the players were playing for national pride.

Comment

2002 Busan Asian Games National Team

My surprise pick would be the national team that placed a lowly 4th in the 2002 Busan Asian Games. The lowly finish is misleading. The Philippines could have won the championship against China!

In the semis, the Philippines lost by one point on a last-second 3-pointer by South Korea. What is not well-known in that tournament is that in the finals, SK beat China, even with Yao Ming's 23 points and 22 rebounds, by two points in overtime! The Philippines has been grieving since then over that lost golden opportunity to beat SK and China for Asian basketball supremacy.

I wouldn't count any of the pre-1960s teams, especially the 1954 World Basketball Championships bronze medalist, since the Philippines was playing patsies from all over the world: no competition from Asia; European basketball was mainly Soviet Union and its satellite countries. The only good teams were from the U.S. and Brazil.

In Asia, it would be similar: I wouldn't count any of the pre-1970s teams, since there was not much competition, except from South Korea and Japan (China wasn't on the scene yet at that time).

Comment

I forgot about that 1985-86 team with a couple of naturalized players. If you include teams with naturalized players, then I would vote for this team. But if we're talking only about teams with only Filipinos and Fil-foreigners, then I would still vote for the 2002 team.

Comment

Originally posted by pinoyballer
            My surprise pick would be the national team that placed a lowly 4th in the 2002 Busan Asian Games. The lowly finish is misleading. The Philippines could have won the championship against China!

In the semis, the Philippines lost by one point on a last-second 3-pointer by South Korea. What is not well-known in that tournament is that in the finals, SK beat China, even with Yao Ming's 23 points and 22 rebounds, by two points in overtime! The Philippines has been grieving since then over that lost golden opportunity to beat SK and China for Asian basketball supremacy.

I wouldn't count any of the pre-1960s teams, especially the 1954 World Basketball Championships bronze medalist, since the Philippines was playing patsies from all over the world: no competition from Asia; European basketball was mainly Soviet Union and its satellite countries. The only good teams were from the U.S. and Brazil.

In Asia, it would be similar: I wouldn't count any of the pre-1970s teams, since there was not much competition, except from South Korea and Japan (China wasn't on the scene yet at that time).
            That team also lost to the Kazakhstan National Team only a day after losing by 1 pt. to SK.

The SK might've won over us by luck then, but the Kazakhs didn't.

The SK Coach later apologized to his country for that near loss, saying they were already looking ahead at China in the finals. I think the "hid" some of their players in that game w/ the RP NT, like Bang Sung Yoon.
            Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

Originally posted by rhk111
              That team also lost to the Kazakhstan National Team only a day after losing by 1 pt. to SK. The SK might've won over us by luck then, but the Kazakhs didn't.

The SK Coach later apologized to his country for that near loss, saying they were already looking ahead at China in the finals. I think they "hid" some of their players in that game w/ the RP NT, like Bang Sung Yoon.
              The Kazakhs didn't win by luck (maybe no game is won by luck, anyway), but probably because the Philippine team had lost heart after the loss to SK.

It's probably true too that SK was probably looking ahead, and was taking RP for granted.

Anyway, that 2002 team would probably have beaten badly all the teams that had no one taller than 6'5" (Guidaben), and maybe even all the other RP teams except for the 1985-86 reinforced team.

Comment

I'll pick the 1954 team because of their achievement and a line-up of legends - Carlos Loyzaga, Lauro Mumar, Mariano Tolentino, etc... and then the 1985-86 team...

sigpic

Comment

What is the Greatest Philippine Men's Basketball Team Ever ?

Here are some choices:

1. The Philippine national team led by the Carlos "Big Difference" Loyzaga, winning a bronze medal in the 1954 FIBA World Championship for men.

2, The 1936 Philippine Olympic basketball team finishing 5th place, then widely known as the Islanders, was coached by Dionisio Calvo and represented by Charles Borck, Jacinto "Jumping Jack" Ciria Cruz, Franco Marquicias, Primitivo Martinez, Jesus Marzan, Amador Obordo, Cebu basketball legend Bibiano Ouano, Ambrosio Padilla, and Fortunato Yambao.

The first two was the two best finishes of any Asian team in the history of the top two international basketball tournaments.

3. The 2007 national team, nicknamed "Team Pilipinas" (Team Philippines), coached by Vincent "Chot" Reyes that finished 9th in the last FIBA-Asia.

4. The 1998 Philippine Centennial Team that captured the 21st William Jones Cup championship but finished with the bronze medal in the Asian Games, bannered by future PBA stars Allan Caidic, Samboy Lim and Hector Calma.

5. The 1990 Philippine team coached by Robert Jaworski that lost in the finals against China and settled for a silver medal. The team includes 1990 PBA Most Valuable Player Allan Caidic, Alvin Patrimonio and Samboy Lim (who was selected for the Asian Games Mythical Team selection).

6. The NCC/SMB Philippine team coached by Ron Jacobs.

Which one is your pick ?
                  Last edited by rikhardur; 06-14-2008, 01:38 PM. Reason: Threads merged: avoidance of thread scattering

Comment

RP Centennial team

Originally posted by dreamwalker
                    Here are some choices:

4. The 1998 Philippine Centennial Team that captured the 21st William Jones Cup championship but finished with the bronze medal in the Asian Games, bannered by future PBA stars Allan Caidic, Samboy Lim and Hector Calma.

I would have made it as a survey but Which one is your pick ?
                    I think the '98 Centennial team was composed of Caidic,Abbarientos,Aquino,Meneses etc. but no Samboy Lim and Calma(though that would be interesting if they are still playing with healthy knees round that time)I think your number 1 and 2 choice is the greatest RP team of all time,no doubt but I would Choose the Centennial team as my third greatest RP team,Then the Asi Taulava bannered RP team in Busan(Asian games),Then the PBA select team in Hiroshima(you should watch Abbarientos make Japan Giants look dumb on his layups on that game.But It turned out to be a heartbreaker when Patrimonio missed 2 freethrows)..the last would be the '07 team Pilipinas..good roster,bad result

Check this out:

They look like super heroes on this pic ain't it?Coach Tim did a great job on this team.
                    Last edited by Alex07; 06-14-2008, 09:34 AM.
                    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Well in terms of success, caloy lozaga lead RP team then probably the 1990 team.

In fairness with the 2007 RP team is that there are a lot of hard opponents from China, sokor, jordan, iran, lebanon, qatar, the rising kazhakstan plus the fact that preparation was halted, exhibition games had to be stopped and all those other factors. I guess the 2007 team faced the most difficult adversaries especially if you're aiming at an olympic slot, very difficult indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ros
                        Well in terms of success, caloy lozaga lead RP team then probably the 1990 team.

In fairness with the 2007 RP team is that there are a lot of hard opponents from China, sokor, jordan, iran, lebanon, qatar, the rising kazhakstan plus the fact that preparation was halted, exhibition games had to be stopped and all those other factors. I guess the 2007 team faced the most difficult adversaries especially if you're aiming at an olympic slot, very difficult indeed.
                        we also came as an underdog,the team has limited time playing together..We have to remember that the PBA isn't the only professional league in Asia anymore unlike during the 1970's.I think this shows that we have to work double this time.Because our Asian counterparts has more advantage genetically wise.
                        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

For me, in terms of achievements it's the 1954 RP Basketball team of Caloy Loyzaga. But in terms of might and skills of the players and the savvy of a coach it's the 1985 NCC-Philippines team of Ron Jacobs.

Mazda RX7 FD3S

Driver: Keisuke Takahashi
                          Specifications:
                          Engine: E-FD3S(Rotary)
                          Power Output/Torque: 350 hp/335 ft-lbs
                          Displacement:634ccX2

Special thanks to tougeracer

Comment

guys,,, can any 1 post pictures of our old national team back in 1930's

Comment

the greatest team? this one is toughest. Caloy loyzaga led teams myt be the best teams for me i think. the 09 FIBA asiad RP team will compose the best possible line up and the tallest in RP Basketball history.
                              Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information