PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Asia Championship 2011 Wuhan

Pages : 1 [2] 3

daniab
09-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Any link to that or just guessing?

I'm still betting on FIBA not allowing it, due to Ngombo's fake birthdate. If Ngombo got the passport later and not in his youth, then he is the naturalized player.

Leslie is officialy out, he might play with them in Doha Games later this year. That what his agent told me!

acklium
09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Leslie is officialy out, he might play with them in Doha Games later this year. That what his agent told me!

hey daniab do u have any clue why the qatar team is untouchable?
they are obviously faking the citizenships of the entire team :D:D:D:D

mavrick_h
09-13-2011, 10:15 AM
^ because a Qatari president runs the FIBA Asia :D

rocketstar47
09-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I Think Iran will win this tournament!

bballer2010
09-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Chauncey Leslie is not playing in Wuhan. Qatar could be in trouble they are also without the services of Yaseen Musa, Khalid Sulayman, Daoud Musa, Ali Turki Ali and now Chauncey ... Witht he exception of Leslie the rest have all been kicked off the team. Ali Fakhroo has lost it as a coach lol......Their olympic dreams will rest on the shoulder of Tanguy Ngombo and Saad Abdulrahman Ali , rest fo team is very young and inexperienced at this level of competition. Should be interesting but could get ugly i must admit!!

toikins
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM
hehe 'karma' as we term it in the Philippines.. :D

gazara
09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
if We Reach the Semi Finals it will be a big Achievement and success since we are playing with a Young Team and Can be Named as Lebanese B National team since we are missing 8 Of our Main Players ! hope we will do it and we can do it ,we have a very good deffensive team ,and big Hearts Players !!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/312190_10150793540490243_639555242_20612821_211080 0423_n.jpg

Lebanese Basketball National Team :

Coach:Ghassan Sarkis (LEB)

4-Jean Abdel Nour (199-SF)
5-Miguel Martinez (188-PG)
6-Ghaleb Rida (192-SG)
7-Sam Hoskin (206-C)(USA-LEB)(Naturalized Player)
8-Abdel Rahman Al Farekh (201-SF/PF)
9-Elie Stephan (195-SG/SF)
10-Bassel Bawji (205-PF/C)
11-Rodrigue Akl (188-PG)(CAPTAIN)
12-Ali Kannan(206-C)
13-Jad Bitar (204-C)
14-Charles Tabet (206-C)
15-Mohammad Ibrahim (196-PG)

Bernard
09-13-2011, 09:08 PM
if We Reach the Semi Finals it will be a big Achievement and success since we are playing with a Young Team and Can be Named as Lebanese B National team since we are missing 8 Of our Main Players ! hope we will do it and we can do it ,we have a very good deffensive team ,and big Hearts Players !!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/312190_10150793540490243_639555242_20612821_211080 0423_n.jpg

Lebanese Basketball National Team :

Coach:Ghassan Sarkis (LEB)

4-Jean Abdel Nour (199-SF)
5-Miguel Martinez (188-PG)
6-Ghaleb Rida (192-SG)
7-Sam Hoskin (206-C)(USA-LEB)(Naturalized Player)
8-Abdel Rahman Al Farekh (201-SF/PF)
9-Elie Stephan (195-SG/SF)
10-Bassel Bawji (205-PF/C)
11-Rodrigue Akl (188-PG)(CAPTAIN)
12-Ali Kannan(206-C)
13-Jad Bitar (204-C)
14-Charles Tabet (206-C)
15-Mohammad Ibrahim (196-PG)

Thx for the pic man...nice one!

Best of luck Lebanon!!!

Long live Lebanon!!(except all the politicians!!)

OSHAFA
09-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Looking forward the 2nd Day in the competition ... Hell of Games: Jordan/Japan, Lebanon/Korea, Qatar/Iran and Philippines/China

ARISTOTLE
09-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Looking forward the 2nd Day in the competition ... Hell of Games: Jordan/Japan, Lebanon/Korea, Qatar/Iran and Philippines/China

My friend, you might just have shown the preview of the quarterfinals. Not necessarily the pairing but the teams.

all_about
09-14-2011, 12:50 AM
My friend, you might just have shown the preview of the quarterfinals. Not necessarily the pairing but the teams.

Not too fast. Don't forget Chinese Taipei. They are under the radar so to speak.
They might sneak past Qatar in group E where the merging of the Groups A&B happen. And Lebanon is also not safe yet. Those 3 teams will be battling it out for the last 2 spots in Group E. While Iran and South Korea are virtually shoe ins in Group E.

ARISTOTLE
09-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Not too fast. Don't forget Chinese Taipei. They are under the radar so to speak.
They might sneak past Qatar in group E where the merging of the Groups A&B happen. And Lebanon is also not safe yet. Those 3 teams will be battling it out for the last 2 spots in Group E. While Iran and South Korea are virtually shoe ins in Group E.

Qatar has an advantage. Lebanon? I hate to admit but this would be the weakest team they will send in terms of experience. No matter what their new coach says, I still believe not having the best Asian player in recent memory will haunt them. Khatib is Khatib. But hey this is basketball, anything can happen.

potz05
09-14-2011, 03:02 AM

The bold ones are the games that every NTs should look at as it will be bound for upsets and would be crucial in the early stage of the tournament.

Japan can upset Jordan as they did in ones Cup with Japan Team C

Qatar can upset Iran as these African National team can match-up well against the Iranians.

Philippines can upset China most especially if the injuries hampering the Chinese NT really is true.

pcder
09-14-2011, 03:23 AM
The bold ones are the games that every NTs should look at as it will be bound for upsets and would be crucial in the early stage of the tournament.

Japan can upset Jordan as they did in ones Cup with Japan Team C

Qatar can upset Iran as these African National team can match-up well against the Iranians.

Philippines can upset China most especially if the injuries hampering the Chinese NT really is true.

We lost Wang Shipeng and Zhoupeng , however , we also have Yi Jianlian / Wang Zhizhi / Sun Yue / Liu Wei / Zhu Fang Yu and some other role players , especially Max Zhang (220 cm) and Su Wei (212 cm) , so ....

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 05:30 AM
LOl haha no im not chancey's agent im sure his agent has better things to do then post on an amateur fan website. Secondly chauncey not playing has nothing to do with administrative work it just didnt work out for many reasons i will not get into. With regard to the coach losing it he has been a nutcase for some time now those who really know basketball in asia understand Ali Fakhroo and how his mind works lol. He ha skicked of virtually every player at one point or another so once again i dont see how he has anything to do with your reaosons for karma like presidents and backgrounds of players ect.

Maybe you should ask questions before assuming things and hold your arrogant comments inside you claim they are not arrogant but in reality it is exaclty wat i said previously about bullying and lack of maturity and you knwo i mention you but trust me its a lot fo writers on here as well.

This breakdown fo Qatar's roster has nothing administrative to dow ith it just players not wanting to play for a coach and vice versa a coach not wanting players with ego's.

So there's debate between the players and Ali Fakhro :O

Geminoykoy
09-14-2011, 06:12 AM
still hoping for our team to make it to the finals, yay! but to be honest i'm prepared to see our national team "Smart Gilas" to be destroyed by our asian counterparts. Especially from the middle eastern squads :(. Go Philippines Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Geminoykoy
09-14-2011, 06:20 AM
will see then ;)

i'm not hoping for it though i wouldn't want to see our PHL team to be squashed by the bigger Lebanese team!:(

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 06:30 AM
still hoping for our team to make it to the finals, yay! but to be honest i'm prepared to see our national team "Smart Gilas" to be destroyed by our asian counterparts. Especially from the middle eastern squads :(. Go Philippines Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Be optimistic man, you have a good team ...

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 06:34 AM
i'm not hoping for it though i wouldn't want to see our PHL team to be squashed by the bigger Lebanese team!:(

be optimistic man :)

macan77
09-14-2011, 07:25 AM

if everything falls into plan, don't worry, we'll win against lebanon if ever we meet them in the knockout stages..

kurtsabug
09-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Be optimistic man, you have a good team ...

Our NT will put up a great fight, I think we will fair well against powerhouse teams. We will be in top 5 :D

acklium
09-14-2011, 07:47 AM
if everything falls into plan, don't worry, we'll win against lebanon if ever we meet them in the knockout stages..

gilas dumped lebanon by 20+ margins
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

macan77
09-14-2011, 07:51 AM

current status of our team, i think we can beat them by 8 points but if the chemistry really improve according to plan, 15 points is my expectation..but again, its just me..

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 08:13 AM

you better be kidding man, do u believe what u just wrote :)

lebanese phoenix
09-14-2011, 08:13 AM

dont worry, it wont be a squash,our current lebanese team doesent really have the offensive power to squash any of the bigger teams, i think if we do meet it'll be a close game;)
your team is good just that it's always lacking smt,you have the potential to win it all, but you keep screwing up everytime and your biggest weakness is your inside game,if you can solve that you can for sure be top title contenders.
I dont think you should worry about Lebanon so much or any team, even if the pinoy team doesent make the semis i assure you that you wont have any humilating defeats like in the past versions,they'll all be close games,even with china.

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 08:14 AM
current status of our team, i think we can beat them by 8 points but if the chemistry really improve according to plan, 15 points is my expectation..but again, its just me..

am sorry, but that's would be a dream man ;)

lebanese phoenix
09-14-2011, 08:24 AM

no man,everything is possible in the world of basketball, but the chance of that happening is less than 1%:p and i think that macan is counting on that chance.

tmlouk
09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Guys, why did Japan play such a bad torunament in 2009? Any Memories?

macan77
09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
no man,everything is possible in the world of basketball, but the chance of that happening is less than 1%:p and i think that macan is counting on that chance.

let's see..i even doubt if your team will qualify for the knockout stages..but now since leslie is not anymore playing, there's a chance that you can beat Qatar..but road to top 4 would still be rough coz you will be jockeying for the last 2 spot with qatar and taipei..but ofcourse you are expected to win these games..same with our group, its a fight for the 2nd spot with japan, jordan and syria..i really hope we meet in the quarter finals;)

macan77
09-14-2011, 09:13 AM

nope, i am even very polite in my expectations:cool:

CKR13
09-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Bad preparations in all. Coaching was inept and the players were poorly organized in terms of defining player roles. Resulted in a number of one on one plays in the offense for the whole tournament.

The results were humiliating and so Japan vowed never again.

Besides, any national team that has Kei Igarashi is asking for it. :D:p Though I got a crush on Igarashi. :o

reamily
09-14-2011, 09:31 AM

talented team then but no substance (no toughness)..

too much talent not been put to their potential as when things get rough Japan resort to themselves a lot of one on one then resulting to bad decision making and bad shot selections (The Takeuchi's mainly)

[email protected] Kei Igarashi as he is a very solid player reminds me of Jonas Villanueva post injury

tmlouk
09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
talented team then but no substance (no toughness)..

too much talent not been put to their potential as when things get rough Japan resort to themselves a lot of one on one then resulting to bad decision making and bad shot selections (The Takeuchi's mainly)

[email protected] Kei Igarashi as he is a very solid player reminds me of Jonas Villanueva post injury

What do you think of Japan`s present shape?
They`ve played few preperation games in germany - lost against Brose Basket (German Champion) and Wuerzburg (Newcomer in the BBL).
They haven`t played also well in the East Asia Qualifier (with their national team A). "Only" 94:73 against Mongolia, 72:62 vs China B and 73:86 vs Korea.

zoman114
09-14-2011, 10:27 AM
GROUP A

SOUTH KOREA
Roster:
Player Focus: Cameron Stevenson
- Korean-American Cameron Stevenson (Moon Tae-Jong) proved to be a reliable shooter for Korea in the 2011 Jones Cup. He can also put the ball on the floor and drive strong to the hole. He's past his prime, though, and that might hamper him. If Hur Jae over-relies on him, then it'll be to the detriment of the Koreans.
Point of Interest: Will frontline hold?
- With (in my opinion) top center Lee Seung-Jun and effective PF Lee Dong-Jun (a.k.a. the Sandrin brothers, Eric & Daniel respectively), left at home in favor of Stevenson (the Koreans opted to use just one Kor-Am), Hur Jae's frontline might not hold when they reach the deep waters of the tourney. Against the likes of Hamed Haddadi, Arsalan Kazemi, Wang Zhizhi, Yi Jianlian, and Zaid Abbas, guys like the undersized Oh Se-Keun, the aging KIm Joo-Sung or the lumbering Ha Seung-Jin might prove to be too brittle to offer much resistance.
Outlook: Top 4
- Korea has a good chance to sweep Group A, but might be troubled by Iran, Qatar and even the Taiwanese come the second round. Given their balanced lineup, however, they should go deep and make a run for the gold.

LEBANON
Roster:
Player Focus: Rodrigue Akl
- I won't even try to pronounce his name, but that's not really the thing we should focus on here. At 22, he's one of the youngest on the squad, and yet he's been given the responsibilities of team captain. That alone should indicate his importance in the team. He should be Lebanon's top PG as he led them in assists in the recent Champions Cup.
Point of Interest: No Tiger = No Chance?
- With Fadi El-Khatib opting to sit out the competition, Lebanon's chances nosedive. They still have a competent and potent crew that can mix it up with the big boys, but when push comes to shove in the latter rounds, they'll find that nobody can replace the presence and scoring of the Lebanese Tiger.
Outlook: Top 8
- Lebanon should finish #2 in Group A and fight for a quarterfinals slot in the second round. They're good enough to edge out the Taiwanese, but might be the underdogs against Iran, Korea and Qatar.

INDIA
Roster:
Player Focus: Vishesh Bhriguvanshi
- The versatile guard-forward is expected to be India's most potent weapon in Wuhan. Though he won't score in the 20s or 30s against the top teams, he should serve to impress. He'll be the big difference when India advances at the expense of Malaysia, but he'll be hard-pressed to do well against the likes of Korea and Lebanon.
Point of Interest: India on the rise?
- India topped their sub-group in fascinating fashion, but expectations should be tempered when the Wuhan joust starts. They have a couple of players who can compete at this level, but by-and-large they'll be whipped by the stronger teams.
Outlook: Top 12
- Barring an upset at the hands of the Malaysians, India should get into the 2nd round, but against Iran, Qatar, and Taiwan, they won't go further than that.

MALAYSIA
Roster:
Player Focus: Chee Li Wei
- The 6'6' center-forward will have his work cut out for him against the taller trees in Group A, but he should still be Malaysia's main man. He was consistently good in the 2011 Jones Cup and should score in the teens here.
Point of Interest: Can they crack the 2nd round?
- Malaysia surprised many by beating UAE in the 2011 Jones Cup, so upsetting a team like India and making the second round isn't an impossibility. Having said that, they will still sail through rough seas and might be better-served to use this as preparation for the 2011 SEA Games.
Outlook: Bottom 4
- On paper, the Malaysians are the weakest team in Groups A & B, and they will probably get their first win only when they play for the lower placings.

GROUP B

IRAN
Roster:
Player Focus: Samad Nikkhah Bahrami
- The fiery forward who missed the 2011 Jones Cup seems to be well-rested in has regained competitive form. He probably won't dominate like he usually does, what with the improvement of Hamed Haddadi and the inclusiong of Arsalan Kazemi, but he will still be a vital cog in coach Vaselin Matic's plans to take the lone London Olympics slot for Asia.
Point of Interest: 3-peat?
- With a roster that is almost at 100% (reserve wingman Saman Veisi will miss the games because of an ACL injury), the tourney is Iran's to lose. They have the size, the speed, the shooting, the coaching, and the experience to carry them through. We might be looking at the first FIBA-Asia West Asian 3-peat.
Outlook: London-bound
- Anything short of the gold will be a significant measure of disappointment for Iran. They have a solid core of players and, unless they play listlessly or injuries begin to hit, no team (not even China) will be favored to stop them.

QATAR
Roster:
Player Focus: Tanguy Ngombo
- The 2011 NBA draftee had to wrestle with controversy surrounding his name (not to mention his age and nationality), but he has since pulled through to help Qatar try to repeat its Top 3 finish from 2005. The Congolese-Qatari should wield his magic and create some highlight reels on the way to a respectable finish.
Point of Interest: Nexus of Naturalization?
- Many have questioned Qatar's liberal policies in terms of naturalizing players, but with a Qatari at the helm of FIBA-Asia, nobody can really do anything about it. Their shrewd tactic has resulted in their emergence as a West Asian powerhouse, and they should continue to do well in Wuhan. It seems strange, however, that they didn't include their latest naturalized recruit, American Chauncey Leslie, in the 2011 NT. Has Qatar's conscience caught up, or are they hoping for some good karma to swing their way?
- I believe the Qataris will benefit the most from the absence of Fadi El-Khatib. They won't beat Iran in Group B, and they might falter against Korea in the second round, but they should advance deep when the knockout stages begin. Outside of the Chinese, a full-strength Qatar will be favored against the likes of Jordan, Japan and even the Philippines when the quarters begin.

TAIWAN
Roster:
Player Focus: Chen Hsin-An
- Though Chen has seen better days, he's still one of the most important players in the Taiwanese roster. He'll probably come off the bench more often than he'll start, but he'll also probably stay in the game during crunch time. His touch from deep is still one of the best in the continent, and if he waxes hot at the most opportune times, then Taiwan's odds shoot up considerably.
Point of Interest: Outside looking in?
- Being bracketed with the likes of Iran, Lebanon, Korea and Qatar leaves Taiwan as the odd man out. A complete Taiwan roster would already be considered the underdog here, but now that Tien Lei won't be around and attempts to recruit NBA player Jeremy Lin have fallen through, their chances wane even further.
- They probably won't repeat their 5th place finish in 2009, and will probably even finish out of the Top 8 for the third time in 10 years (2003 & 2005).

UZBEKISTAN
Roster:
Player Focus: Aleksandr Kozlov
- The 6'7' forward led Uzbekistan to a 14th place finish in 2009 and should continue to be their top gun in Wuhan. He has been known to put the ball on the floor and be reliable from range, so he'll be a match-up headache for anyone on the opposing team.
Point of Interest: Early exit?
- The Uzbeks advanced under the a cloud of controversy, but they should not be underestimated by any team here. They're a little stronger than maybe 5 teams in the whole competition, but being grouped in the toughest bracket in the first round means they'll probably miss the second round ticket.
- The Uzbeks will probably go winless in the first round, but should dominate the 13-16th placing games. That's not much consolation, but anything beyond that is just unrealistic.

GROUP C

JORDAN
Roster:
Player Focus: Ali Jamal Zaghab
- With the absence of veteran Ayman Idais, and old reliables (emphasis on old) Sam Dahglas, Enver Soobzokov, Islam Abbaas and Zaid Al-Khas all hitting their 30s, the onus will be on AJ Zaghab to pick up the cudgels and man the interior. He should see his minutes rise if the injury he sustained during the 2011 Jones Cup doesn't hamper him. Duplicating his double-double outing in their Jones Cup match versus the Pinoys will increase Jordan's chances of cracking the top tier.
Point of Interest: Twilight of Success?
- After a record 3rd place finish in 2009, it seems the best of the Jordanians is behind them. With an aging core seeing what could be their last solid tour of duty together, coach Tab Baldwin will have to rely more heavily on the likes of Zaghab, Wesam Al-Sous and Zaid Abbas. If naturalized American Rasheim Wright can be consistent with his top-level play, then Jordan will have a fair shot at the Top 4.
- Jordan has a good chance to sweep Group C, though Japan shouldn't be taken lightly. Jordan's chances are also good against an injury-plagued Chinese five and the darkhorse Pinoys in the next round, but they need to place high to avoid the powerhouses awaiting them in the quarterfinals.

JAPAN
Roster:
Player Focus: KJ Matsui
- The 6'2' wingman lit up the scoreboards at the 2011 Jones Cup, leading Japan to an upset of then undefeated Jordan and putting a scare in many of the other teams. This kid is as streaky as they come and, this early, looks to be a worthy successor to the fabled hands of legendary sniper Takehiko Orimo. Don't be surprised if he makes about 3-5 treys per game in Wuhan.
Point of Interest: Redeem Team?
- In 2009, Japan finished outside of the Top 8 for the first time in the history of the tournament, which didn't exactly make the NT the darlings of the Nippon populace. With a roster made up of veterans (the Takeuchi twins, Ryota Sakurai, Tomoo Amino et al), and promising newbies (Matsui, Takeki Shonaka, Atsuya Ota), and with only 3 of the 12 players bordering 30 years of age, Japan looks to have built for redemption, and for the long haul.
- It'll be tough to beat the Jordanians, but Syria and the Indons shouldn't be problems. They should also make the quarters this time around, where their speed and shooting can make anything possible.

SYRIA
Roster:
Player Focus: Ioanis Deeb
- With perennial top-scorer Michael Madanly left out by new coach Goran Milijevic, other guys like Greek-Syrian Ioanis Deeb will have to step up big time. The 24-year old showed good skills in the 2011 Champions Cup and should be given more time to shine in Wuhan.
Point of Interest: No 'I' in team
- With Madanly seemingly bitten by the superstar bug, coach Milijevic chose to make a point instead of increasing their chances of making a dent in the competition. Already harboring weak odds if Madanly had played, Syria might now have to fight for the scraps. Aside from Deeb, old timer Eder Georges will take the brunt of the scoring load.
- Though Madanly's absence severely weakens Syria, they should still be better than the Indonesians, if barely. They should expect to get plastered by Jordan and Japan in the first round, and then by China and the Philippines in the next phase.

INDONESIA
Roster:
Player Focus: Andi Poedjakesuma
- The 6'1' Indon NT veteran will return for a third tour of duty in Wuhan. He was 2nd in scoring in 2009 (7.6ppg) and 2nd in rebounding (5.2rpg) for the Indons, and they will undoubtedly look for him to continue putting up the numbers here. Don't expect him to explode, though, as he isn't exactly all-star material.
Point of Interest: Bound for the bottom?
- Though Indonesia finished 2nd behind the Philippines in the 2011 SEABA tourney and they blasted Malaysia for the silver medal, this Indonesian side might be bound for the very bottom of the standings. Unlike the Malaysians, the Indons haven't participated in any high profile league of late, and they might find themselves groping for form yet again.
- They have an outside chance of upsetting a less-than-promising Syrian squad, but even then their chances aren't favorable. The Indons will probably be relegated to the battle for, at best, 13th place.

GROUP D

CHINA
Roster:
Player Focus: Wang Zhizhi
- At 32 years old, 'Old Man' Wang is the senior citizen of the bunch, but he is still certainly one of the most reliable. He placed 2nd in scoring (16.7ppg) and rebounding (7.9rpg) for the Chinese in 2009 and should continue to be their main man in the middle this time around. The former NBA journeyman is still good enough to rack up the points on a variety of moves, though he'll have some trouble facing up to Hamed Haddadi if they do meet up. He is still a top-level Asian big, but no longer THE best.
Point of Interest: Crippled crew?
- With the injury to Wang Shipeng and a host of other ailments plaguing his squad, coach Bob Donewald, Jr. will have to work with a Chinese team significantly weaker than previous iterations. Their main core of Wang, Yi Jianlian, Zh Fangyu, Sun Yue and Liu Wei will still be solid, but with a bench largely made up of call-ups from their B Team, don't expect China to romp away to London with no difficulties.
- The only thing really going for China is the fact they're playing at home. They're no longer the biggest nor fastest team around. They're certainly not the most athletic or even the healthiest. But for all their flaws, the Chinese still have the best chance to derail Iran's Olympic dreams.

PHILIPPINES
Roster:
Player Focus: Jimmy Alapag
- The last time Jimmy Alapag suited for the Philippine NT was back in the 2007 Tokushima games, when the Pinoys were bracketed in the 'Group of Death' with China, Jordan and eventual champions Iran. He probably has something to prove -- that he can hack it in the international level -- and he won't waste anytime to do it. With coach Rajko Toroman's resident starting PG JV Casio nursing a knee injury, Alapag might see the lion's share of minutes and three-point attempts.
Point of Interest: Diamond in the rough?
- Now that naturalized center Marcus Douthit is suiting up, the Pinoys seemingly have the missing piece in their Asian puzzle. What might jam it all up, however, is chemistry, since PBA players Alapag, Kelly Williams and Ranidel de Ocampo were injected just recently. They certainly add talent and heft, but will it directly translate to a better team? Nevertheless, if Douthit and the pros gel well with the core of Smart-Gilas, then nobody should take the Pinoys for granted.
- The core of this team placed 3rd in last year's Stankovic Cup, 4th in the Champions Cup, and 3rd in the 2011 Jones Cup. With the pros in tow, can they improve and make the miracle run their countrymen are praying for? The realistic answer might not be promising, but once they get into the knockout stages, then anything can happen.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Roster:
Player Focus: Rashed Al-Zaabi
- The 6'1' 23 year-old led the Emirates in scoring and rebounding back in 2009 (13.3ppg & 5.0rpg), and should continue being the focal point of their offense in Wuhan. He gave a good, if inconsistent account of himself in the 2011 Jones Cup, though they did finish winless. He's quick, athletic and has good length, so he'll be a tough match-up for most players on the wings.
Point of Interest: The Young and The Restless
- With half the team aged 26 or younger, this Emirates squad is one of the younger ones in the tournament. Despite that, many of the players have had considerable experience for the NT, and it should aid them in Wuhan. They had some moments of brilliance in the Jones Cup, particularly against the Philippines, but, ultimately, they'll need a lot more firepower if they want to advance deep in the competition.
- China and the Philippines will probably coast past UAE, but the Emirates should edge out their Bahraini neighbors for the last ticket to the second round. A key piece absent from their roster, however, is scorer Talal Al-Nuaimi. If indeed he won't play, then perhaps cracking the Top 12 might be even more difficult than it already is.

BAHRAIN
Roster:
Player Focus: Bader Malabes
- The Fil-Bahraini from De La Salle University will make for an interesting subplot in Bahrain's encounter with the Filipinos. How will he fare against former teammate JV Casio and collegiate rivals Chris Tiu and Mark Barroca? Malabes will be charged to fill the role he tried to fill as a Green Archer, which is to be the designated shooter for coach Eric Rashad. Will he make the Pinoys pay, or will he sputter?
Point of Interest: Where to without Go-to Guy?
- Ahmed Al-Mutawa has been the designated top-scorer for the NT in recent years, but he'll be missing the Wuhan joust. That means there is a sizable void to be filled, but who'll step up? Veterans Ebrahim Al-Darazi and Ahmed Malallah are still in tow, but both are 38 years-old and counting, so their tanks aren't exactly full.
- Without an apparent go-to guy to bail them out of tough situations, and there will be plenty, it seems the Bahrainis will be in for a rough tournament. They are heavily-favored to lose to both China and the Philippines, and might not be good enough to get past the Emirates, too. 13th to 16th is where they'll probably end up.

Source: HoopNut.blogspot.com

mavrick_h
09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Bad preparations in all. Coaching was inept and the players were poorly organized in terms of defining player roles. Resulted in a number of one on one plays in the offense for the whole tournament.

The results were humiliating and so Japan vowed never again.

Besides, any national team that has Kei Igarashi is asking for it. :D:p Though I got a crush on Igarashi. :o

yea but beside that they fight right back the next year in Stankovic Cup (last year 2010) finishing second. ok, they've had a tough final game but they've managed to beat Qatar in the semis.
I was watching the games from the stadium and had the chance to see Japan playing. I might say there is a lot of potential in the team.

rocketstar47
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
even though we could'nt win the crown as long as my
team performs their best i salute them:)

mavrick_h
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
even though we could'nt win the crown as long as my
team performs their best i salute them:)

that's the spirit ! :D

RedMetal
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
coachot Chot Reyes
Breaking news from Wuhan: Lebanons Hagop questioning eligibilty of Lassiter & Lutz.

The Lebanese are desperate now!:eek:

analyzed
09-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Objectively I would place the Philippines as a 4th seed behind Iran, China and Korea (in that order) with Jordan being a close 5th seed.

However seeding is one thing , executing is another. our game against Jordan (we have a better than 50 % chance of winning this one) in the second round will make or break us. Winning this game should give us the 2nd seed in group F and avoiding both Iran and Korea in knockout quarters. giving us a great shot of makin the semis by playing a knockout game against lesser teams Lebanon or Qatar ( I don't believe either teams are that strong this year)

We have a golden opporunity for an upset in the 1st round against China. I feel this is the easiest and best time for an upset early on. A win against China should set us up well. And makes the Jordan game ( not a must win). however beating China and Jordan allows us to avoid Iran until the finals ( a huge plus).
The thing about Jordan that is underated is their coach. Tad Baldwin . This is a guy who brought an untallented New Zealand team to 4th place in the 2002 world champs, I think he has something in stored defensivly for Gilas ( zone switching from 2-1-2 to 1-2-2) which gives the high pick play of Toroman problems.

Another concern for the team is depth at the wings, especially with Hotiveros leaving the team. I don't believe Baracel who has moved down to the 3 with Williams and De Ocampos inclusion has the quickness and consistency to play small forward effectively. That leaves Lutz, Lassiter and tiu as are only wings. Playing 9 games in 11 days requires depth. especially in the wing position where at least one person has to be hitting 3's for the game. I've noticed either Lasiter or Tiu are consistent from outside for 3 or more consecutive games. While Lutz is still gun shy. This is a significant concern

Alapags inclusion gives us the depth needed for a 9 game schdule over 11 days. Remember how Casio fizled out in the Jones cup in the last 3 games. Hopefuly Alapag gives Casio the rest he needs for the bigger KO games. Same case goes with Rannidel he should give either Williams or Japeth some games off. We need Williams and Japeth to be supper energetic in the big games. That is why being 3 man deep in the Point and the Four spot is really imprtant.

Again the wings is our big question mark. How will Lassiter and Tiu be able to play big games ( hit their shots) 3 consecutive back to back games. (KO stage)

RedMetal
09-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I think WE will WIN a MEDAL!:)

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Objectively I would place the Philippines as a 4th seed behind Iran, China and Korea (in that order) with Jordan being a close 5th seed.

However seeding is one thing , executing is another. our game against Jordan (we have a better than 50 % chance of winning this one) in the second round will make or break us. Winning this game should give us the 2nd seed in group F and avoiding both Iran and Korea in knockout quarters. giving us a great shot of makin the semis by playing a knockout game against lesser teams Lebanon or Qatar ( I don't believe either teams are that strong this year)

We have a golden opporunity for an upset in the 1st round against China. I feel this is the easiest and best time for an upset early on. A win against China should set us up well. And makes the Jordan game ( not a must win). however beating China and Jordan allows us to avoid Iran until the finals ( a huge plus).
The thing about Jordan that is underated is their coach. Tad Baldwin . This is a guy who brought an untallented New Zealand team to 4th place in the 2002 world champs, I think he has something in stored defensivly for Gilas ( zone switching from 2-1-2 to 1-2-2) which gives the high pick play of Toroman problems.

Another concern for the team is depth at the wings, especially with Hotiveros leaving the team. I don't believe Baracel who has moved down to the 3 with Williams and De Ocampos inclusion has the quickness and consistency to play small forward effectively. That leaves Lutz, Lassiter and tiu as are only wings. Playing 9 games in 11 days requires depth. especially in the wing position where at least one person has to be hitting 3's for the game. I've noticed either Lasiter or Tiu are consistent from outside for 3 or more consecutive games. While Lutz is still gun shy. This is a significant concern

Alapags inclusion gives us the depth needed for a 9 game schdule over 11 days. Remember how Casio fizled out in the Jones cup in the last 3 games. Hopefuly Alapag gives Casio the rest he needs for the bigger KO games. Same case goes with Rannidel he should give either Williams or Japeth some games off. We need Williams and Japeth to be supper energetic in the big games. That is why being 3 man deep in the Point and the Four spot is really imprtant.

Again the wings is our big question mark. How will Lassiter and Tiu be able to play big games ( hit their shots) 3 consecutive back to back games. (KO stage)

Do u believe that your team can beat Lebanon or Qatar ???
OMG, u're a dreamer...

pcder
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I found many Philippines fans are looking down upon China , upset China in Wuhan ? are you serious ?;)

mavrick_h
09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
coachot Chot Reyes
Breaking news from Wuhan: Lebanons Hagop questioning eligibilty of Lassiter & Lutz.

The Lebanese are desperate now!:eek:

Say Hagop man not Lebanons Hagop no one likes that person

macan77
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Say Hagop man not Lebanons Hagop no one likes that person

he is still lebanese..can you not tell that person to fack off? its giving bad name to lebanon..don't tell me he is afraid of our team? are his balls on his throat now? wahaha..funny indeed..posters here (lebanese) doesn't see RP team as a threat, but now this guy questioning two players who have been playing asian games, sea games, stankovic..wahahaha..funny indeed..

macan77
09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
OMG, u're a dreamer...

yup..anyday now..:cool:

mavrick_h
09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
he is still lebanese..can you not tell that person to fack off? its giving bad name to lebanon..don't tell me he is afraid of our team? are his balls on his throat now? wahaha..funny indeed..posters here (lebanese) doesn't see RP team as a threat, but now this guy questioning two players who have been playing asian games, sea games, stankovic..wahahaha..funny indeed..

if he's afraid that doesn't Lebanese team are afraid. And why's he doing such thing since we're not even facing you guys ?! doesn't make any sense.

lebanese phoenix
09-14-2011, 11:55 AM

man,you seem to have an issue against lebanese and Qataris:D
is it because you never managed to beat them in any official tournement or smt?:D what's wrong,half your posts are dedicated to bash us,and i must say you always do a fine job at it...too bad you always fail to do it in court:rolleyes:

let me be very clear with you, Hagop is Syrian-armenian-lebanese, he knows nothing about lebanon, he always tried to fight us in international clubs tournements,he was always threatening lebanon's top club riyadi.
He never did anything to help us, only to hurt us;)
so get off our back,and if as dany said, you have proper documentation for lassiter and what's his name you shouldnt worry;)

macan77
09-14-2011, 12:12 PM
man,you seem to have an issue against lebanese and Qataris:D
is it because you never managed to beat them in any official tournement or smt?:D what's wrong,half your posts are dedicated to bash us,and i must say you always do a fine job at it...too bad you always fail to do it in court:rolleyes:

let me be very clear with you, Hagop is Syrian-armenian-lebanese, he knows nothing about lebanon, he always tried to fight us in international clubs tournements,he was always threatening lebanon's top club riyadi.
He never did anything to help us, only to hurt us;)
so get off our back,and if as dany said, you have proper documentation for lassiter and what's his name you shouldnt worry;)

nope, i don't have issues with lebanese..i have issues with hagop and some lebanese posters here..i think that includes you..lol..but your team and a few lebanese posters, i have great respect..not with a fan like you..don't worry, i know the feeling is mutual..i don't need to like you to post here, this also goes to you..we can prove their documentation anytime, but instead of preparing for the tournament, effort and time are consumed because of this tactic..anyway, the war has begun..so this should be expected..good luck to your team

macan77
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
if he's afraid that doesn't Lebanese team are afraid. And why's he doing such thing since we're not even facing you guys ?! doesn't make any sense.

yup, it doesn't make sense indeed..anyway, if he is not a lebanese..so be it..

babdelkader
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM

very optimistic :)
u're waiting a lot of time to see a Lebanon Team B to beat :D, nway I don't think that u can beat us, but I would wish u good luck :)

macan77
09-14-2011, 12:42 PM
very optimistic :)
u're waiting a lot of time to see a Lebanon Team B to beat :D, nway I don't think that u can beat us, but I would wish u good luck :)

lebanon team B? is your team A playing elsewhere?

yvesjade
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Coach Chot: "Breaking news from Wuhan: Lebanons Hagop questioning eligibilty of Lassiter & Lutz. Foreigner daw sila e they both played na sa champs cup, stankovic, SEABA & Asian games. We have til b4 d game Tom to prove otherwise. Labo! We submitted our lineup w Lutz & Lassi end-august Pa,but now Lang nag complain.Were working on it now w help of SBP & Moying M.Dasal Bayan!"

behzadir
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM
lebanon team B? is your team A playing elsewhere?

Yeah they're playing at the beach!!
Still they most don't know the difference between team A and B. Maybe a way to get less disappoineted after all;)

daniab
09-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Still they most don't know the difference between team A and B. Maybe a way to get less disappoineted after all;)

ur problem is u just get a single comment and build on it unnecessary replies, this is our A team and we are proud of every single players on it.
And trust me, whatever the result is we are thankful, u just dont know what kind of situations this team was formed... but still we are confident and never hide behind any excuses or whatever

macan77
09-14-2011, 01:03 PM
ur problem is u just get a single comment and build on it unnecessary replies, this is our A team and we are proud of every single players on it.
And trust me, whatever the result is we are thankful, u just dont know what kind of situations this team was formed... but still we are confident and never hide behind any excuses or whatever

this is precisely what i meant..there is only one team that lebanon build for this fiba qualifying..they may not be the most talented, or best players on the land (lebanon) but still this is the best that you could form (presently)..its not B or not even A..its lebanon national team..and rightly so, you should be proud whatever happens..i am also saying this for my philippine team

lebanese phoenix
09-14-2011, 01:08 PM

seems you also have a problem or rather a complex with the Lebanese team.
dont worry,i'm sure you will have the chance this cup wipe off the humiliating 5-0 defeat your top club suffered at the hands of our boys;)
but untill then,spare us with your silly comments;)

Azrael
09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
that's crazy tactics right there. smh

mikepogi
09-14-2011, 01:37 PM
OMG, u're a dreamer...

I dont see why not.. We already beaten the Ngombo lead Qatar team in Asian games. And was competetive in almost all of the games against the Team A of Lebanon with Vroman, and Khatib. Vroman by the way is a more versatile and better player than your current naturalized player.. Why did you let him go??

Head to head, Lebanon and Qatar has more wins, but not to say that Qatar and Lebanon cannot be beaten, since we already beat these two teams before or close to doing so in most of the games.

frenzfries
09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
TO ALL PINOY POSTERS: I noticed some pinoys here are showing arrogance about how good Smart-Gilas is, calm down guys we haven't proved anything yet. Avoid boasting that we can beat lebanon, qatar etc let's act the right way and respect other teams. Instead, let's just pray for our own National Team to perform well.

"Such boasting could be dangerous"

friendly advice from frenzfries

God bless you all!:)

mavrick_h
09-14-2011, 02:01 PM

well said i totally agree

Mojado
09-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Coach Chot: "Breaking news from Wuhan: Lebanons Hagop questioning eligibilty of Lassiter & Lutz. Foreigner daw sila e they both played na sa champs cup, stankovic, SEABA & Asian games. We have til b4 d game Tom to prove otherwise. Labo! We submitted our lineup w Lutz & Lassi end-august Pa,but now Lang nag complain.Were working on it now w help of SBP & Moying M.Dasal Bayan!"

All participating national-teams had to submit copies of birth certificates,passports, when they aquired the other passport (in case of double nationality) and a letter of the other federation that the player did not played previously with the team.
Maybe your federation did not sent in all the necessary papers? I just wonder why this Lebanese guy comes up with this now. He must know something about these documents, otherwise he has no proof to complain about it. Also, why is there no complaint against Qatar by the same person? Smh.
BTW: Asian Games are not run by FIBA. And all the regional competitions like Stankovic Cup and SEA are monitored by FIBA Asia, not FIBA directly. But its FIBA this time wanting the necessary documents from the nations...

Bobbyd
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM

I would have to agree with you. Qatar was not able to naturalize the point guard they wanted and Lebanon is missing many of there top players from past competitions. I would have to give the edge to the Philippines over both Qatar and Lebanon is this tournament. I would rank the Philippines behind only China, Iran, and Korea in this tournament.

I haven't been that impressed with Jordan recently either. They had a sub-par performance in the Jones Cup and were beaten by the Philippines just recently in Manila.

Cryotek
09-14-2011, 02:33 PM
All participating national-teams had to submit copies of birth certificates,passports, when they aquired the other passport (in case of double nationality) and a letter of the other federation that the player did not played previously with the team.
Maybe your federation did not sent in all the necessary papers? I just wonder why this Lebanese guy comes up with this now. He must know something about these documents, otherwise he has no proof to complain about it. Also, why is there no complaint against Qatar by the same person? Smh.
BTW: Asian Games are not run by FIBA. And all the regional competitions like Stankovic Cup and SEA are monitored by FIBA Asia, not FIBA directly. But its FIBA this time wanting the necessary documents from the nations...

But big question here...why only now their questioning this? a day before the 1st official game for FIBA-Asia!

tonysaade
09-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Weird thing just happened ... I was watching al jazeera and it said that Lebanon vs korea will be broadcasted on friday at 10pm ...
Dany any news concerning LBC ?

kingkobe
09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Coach Chot: "Breaking news from Wuhan: Lebanons Hagop questioning eligibilty of Lassiter & Lutz. Foreigner daw sila e they both played na sa champs cup, stankovic, SEABA & Asian games. We have til b4 d game Tom to prove otherwise. Labo! We submitted our lineup w Lutz & Lassi end-august Pa,but now Lang nag complain.

boo!! they're scared even though the tournament hasn't started..:eek:

mavrick_h
09-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Coach Chot: "Breaking news from Wuhan: Lebanons Hagop questioning eligibilty of Lassiter & Lutz. Foreigner daw sila e they both played na sa champs cup, stankovic, SEABA & Asian games. We have til b4 d game Tom to prove otherwise. Labo! We submitted our lineup w Lutz & Lassi end-august Pa,but now Lang nag complain.

boo!! they're scared even though the tournament hasn't started..:eek:

man get over yourself
seriously no need for such comments it's FIBA who's asking not the lebanese team.basically he's the representative at the moment there so it is his job to provide the papers.we're not even gonna play against each other in the first two rounds.
And if the players are pinoys what's the fuss just give them the official papers so he can shut up.

nader
09-14-2011, 09:34 PM
how can any one of u judge the lebanese nt did any one of you watch the nt playing????? any one ????? i dare you, is there any one?i don't think so because 3/4 of the lebanese fans didn't watch a single game so really i only can say looooolllll

jesronne
09-15-2011, 01:22 AM
man get over yourself
seriously no need for such comments it's FIBA who's asking not the lebanese team.basically she's the representative at the moment there so it is his job to provide the paper.we're not even gonna play against each other in the first two rounds.
And if the players are pinoys what's the fuss just give them the official papers so he can shut up.

then why is he questioning the phil team? why not the Qataris? :eek:

Kutsuit
09-15-2011, 02:36 AM
http://goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=7654

Wuhan's local time is 8 hours ahead of GMT. So does this honestly mean Wuhan will host 2 games past midnight? :p

Is anyone even planning to attend these games? :p

acklium
09-15-2011, 02:39 AM
man get over yourself
seriously no need for such comments it's FIBA who's asking not the lebanese team.basically he's the representative at the moment there so it is his job to provide the papers.we're not even gonna play against each other in the first two rounds.

seriously the reason here is very dope

first, qatar is doing this thing for the past few years..
second, lebanon had fielded matt freiji without being ruled out as a half lebanese..for gods sake this dude is born in america..hes dual citizen player..just like chris and marcio..tactics?

OSHAFA
09-15-2011, 02:48 AM
http://goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=7654

Wuhan's local time is 8 hours ahead of GMT. So does this honestly mean Wuhan will host 2 games past midnight? :p

Is anyone even planning to attend these games? :p

No it isn't right. Check Wuhan2011.Fibaasia.com for the Schedule

Kutsuit
09-15-2011, 03:03 AM
No it isn't right. Check Wuhan2011.Fibaasia.net for the Schedule
Thanks. :)

Yeah, this makes more sense. I was bemused by the timings on Goalzz.com, LOL. :p

So I guess Jordan are playing Syria, right now. Good luck! :)

JAMSKIE
09-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Hagob must be barking at the wrong tree in questioning the eligibility of Smart Gilas' Chris Lutz & Marcio Lassiter. Why doesn't he question the eligibility of Qatar players instead? I think almost all the players of Qatar are non qatari citizens. Yet why is it that no one is questioning? Is it becoz a high ranking official of FIBA-Asia is a Qatari?

keepyang
09-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Is it any live website can see the match????
Please.....

d_viper
09-15-2011, 04:24 AM
http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/10/40/v-304147.html

interxavierxxx
09-15-2011, 05:05 AM
just heard qatar has 5 players who were ruled ineligible, and syria has 1, uh-oh. Hope ours won't be. We will find out right before d game!

lol!!!

clean04
09-15-2011, 05:12 AM
lol!!!

5 only? :confused:

lol!!!

jesronne
09-15-2011, 05:40 AM
does somebody knows what is the official website of wuhan fiba asia?

jrb0yd
09-15-2011, 05:42 AM
does somebody knows what is the official website of wuhan fiba asia?

http://wuhan2011.fibaasia.net/

babdelkader
09-15-2011, 07:05 AM

as u want, we are all PROUD of our team, we believe it will do something BIG this time...

babdelkader
09-15-2011, 07:09 AM
I dont see why not.. We already beaten the Ngombo lead Qatar team in Asian games. And was competetive in almost all of the games against the Team A of Lebanon with Vroman, and Khatib. Vroman by the way is a more versatile and better player than your current naturalized player.. Why did you let him go??

Head to head, Lebanon and Qatar has more wins, but not to say that Qatar and Lebanon cannot be beaten, since we already beat these two teams before or close to doing so in most of the games.

will see then ;)
lets wait and see the competition, the best will win :)
Btw, Vroman is not a pure Center, we need a pure center...

babdelkader
09-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Quote:
just heard qatar has 5 players who were ruled ineligible, and syria has 1, uh-oh. Hope ours won't be. We will find out right before d game!
lol!!!

have you any link about that ?

analyzed
09-15-2011, 07:23 AM
OMG, u're a dreamer...

Are you serious? this is not the same Labanon team of El-Kahtib and Vogel, neither is the Qatar team in full strength with lesslie out. While this Philippines team is neither the same Philippine team that is ill prepared without a legitimate big man like Doulthit. So believe what you want. But facts are facts. Talk to me after the tournament after you watch the games and the right teams

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Are you serious? this is not the same Labanon team of El-Kahtib and Vogel, neither is the Qatar team in full strength with lesslie out. While this Philippines team is neither the same Philippine team that is ill prepared without a legitimate big man like Doulthit. So believe what you want. But facts are facts. Talk to me after the tournament after you watch the games and the right teams

you will be surprised with our team. it's not about the names anymore i'll let the court judge.

CKR13
09-15-2011, 08:33 AM
you will be surprised with our team. it's not about the names anymore i'll let the court judge.

I am really interested on seeing your team play.

Best results to your team.

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I am really interested on seeing your team play.

Best results to your team.

thanks

we will improve as the tournaments moving ahead :)

acklium
09-15-2011, 08:52 AM
i wish philippine team and lebanon would face each other in semis or even just the quarters....................

and see your team lose

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 08:53 AM
i wish philippine team and lebanon would face each other in semis or even just the quarters....................

and see your team lose

dream bigger pal :D

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
then why is he questioning the phil team? why not the Qataris? :eek:

she's not :D
must be the FIBA man not FIBA Asia. And if you guys have the papers just send them lol
and everyone will be happy including all Lebanese posters here.

macan77
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
she's not :D
must be the FIBA man not FIBA Asia. And if you guys have the papers just send them lol
and everyone will be happy including all Lebanese posters here.

don't worry, the team is dreaming to meet you in the knockout stages and with how Hagop have been doing, it adds extra motivation to beat your team..:cool:

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
seriously the reason here is very dope

first, qatar is doing this thing for the past few years..
second, lebanon had fielded matt freiji without being ruled out as a half lebanese..for gods sake this dude is born in america..hes dual citizen player..just like chris and marcio..tactics?

if Matt played and you're two players are the same then they should play.
I'm sure in 2009 they've asked for all the papers regarding Matt.
Also Matt was a member of the Lebanese NT in WC 2010. So FIBA confirmed that he can play otherwise they wouldn't accept the thing.

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 09:02 AM
don't worry, the team is dreaming to meet you in the knockout stages and with how Hagop have been doing, it adds extra motivation to beat your team..:cool:

and now you have a reason how nice ? :D

which part of the expression you didn't get that no one likes Hagop in this universe ?

acklium
09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
if Matt played and you're two players are the same then they should play.
I'm sure in 2009 they've asked for all the papers regarding Matt.
Also Matt was a member of the Lebanese NT in WC 2010. So FIBA confirmed that he can play otherwise they wouldn't accept the thing.

actually protest that time is not that big..
so we never know about that.
the thing here is that our 2 players that had been the center of the protest
are half american and filipino who had been playing for almost 3 years...
and now that stupid moron is protesting against them?
freiji suddenly showed up the last time out of no where..even though he doesnt want to renounce his citizenship as an american..

i just wanted to clarify things specially to some people here who belittle our national team..

2007 Lebanese team (without vogel) vs philippine team
2009 lebanese team (without vroman) vs philippine team

what would have been the result?

now that we have marcus around..
its back to zero..

clean04
09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Chot Reyes
@coachot Chot Reyes
FIBA Commissioner just told me now that Lutz & Lassie are ineligible. Only an advise from FIBA In Switzerland can make them play now

daniab
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
freiji suddenly showed up the last time out of no where..even though he doesnt want to renounce his citizenship as an american..

i just wanted to clarify things specially to some people here who belittle our national team..

its back to zero..

I dont want to get into this useless debate, but however a small correction, Matt Freije didnt show up out of nowhere, if u do really follow Lebanon's basketball, u would know that he was invited since 2006 to join the Lebanese NT during the World Championship, but he couldn't due his presence in NBA camps and that did not happen until 2009 when he actually was convinced that he has no hopes of going into the NBA!

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 09:32 AM

its back to zero..
i don't think the m word is protesting against them man. I think FIBA is asking the papers and that doesn't mean he don't deserve the m word. :D

What does Freije's last minute showing has anything to do with what's happening now ?
I think the main issue here is a failure from your federation. They didn't send the official papers and now before submitting the names on last day, FIBA saw some new names and they are requesting the IDs.

Please don't shift the topic to another place. Vogel,Vroman etc...
you were in a bad shape after the ban.even without those players it was hard to match us back then.remember we were on the edge of taking the championship in 2007.

lebanese phoenix
09-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I dont want to get into this useless debate, but however a small correction, Matt Freije didnt show up out of nowhere, if u do really follow Lebanon's basketball, u would know that he was invited since 2006 to join the Lebanese NT during the World Championship, but he couldn't due his presence in NBA camps and that did not happen until 2009 when he actually was convinced that he has no hopes of going into the NBA!

right on dany, about Freije i remmember lebanese teams were trying to sign him eversince the 2005-2006 season (most notably sagesse).
Freije is Lebanese,from Zahle,Bekaa,we have the papers to proove it.
Same thing for Beshara who has alot of relatives in Lebanon and used to stay with them while playin in Lebanon.

To my pinoy friends,i'm sorry,but you're paying the price of your unproffesionalism (your federation's unproffesionalism),when you get a player from abroad you have to proove his roots, do you have any information about Lassiter and Cruz's mothers' birth place?what region in philipines...
all this is gotta be proven,otherwise it's easy to naturalise anyone.

I'm not doubting the two's nationalities, but being proffesional you gotta have the right paper to proove it,hopefully they will play with you next year:)

acklium
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
i don't think the m word is protesting against them man. I think FIBA is asking the papers and that doesn't mean he don't deserve the m word. :D

What does Freije's last minute showing has anything to do with what's happening now ?
I think the main issue here is a failure from your federation. They didn't send the official papers and now before submitting the names on last day, FIBA saw some new names and they are requesting the IDs.

Please don't shift the topic to another place. Vogel,Vroman etc...
you were in a bad shape after the ban.even without those players it was hard to match us back then.remember we were on the edge of taking the championship in 2007.

just summarizing my hatred on some Lebanese posters here taking our team for granted :D hahah actually i redirected my topic..sorry hehehe..

HAGOP is Chinese spy!joke haha

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 09:39 AM
right on dany, about Freije i remmember lebanese teams were trying to sign him eversince the 2005-2006 season (most notably sagesse).
Freije is Lebanese,from Zahle,Bekaa,we have the papers to proove it.
Same thing for Beshara who has alot of relatives in Lebanon and used to stay with them while playin in Lebanon.

To my pinoy friends,i'm sorry,but you're paying the price of your unproffesionalism (your federation's unproffesionalism),when you get a player from abroad you have to proove his roots, do you have any information about Lassiter and Cruz's mothers' birth place?what region in philipines...
all this is gotta be proven,otherwise it's easy to naturalise anyone.

I'm not doubting the two's nationalities, but being proffesional you gotta have the right paper to proove it,hopefully they will play with you next year:)

man everytime we come to play an Asian Championship they start the same over and over again it's the same thing happened in 2009 and now they are doing it again.
I hope it's not jealousy or something. even though we're not having abroad players on this squad we're still on the head of suspicion.

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
just summarizing my hatred on some Lebanese posters here taking our team for granted :D hahah actually i redirected my topic..sorry hehehe..

HAGOP is Chinese spy!joke haha

could be man leave the joke behind. everything's possible with him.

acklium
09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
man everytime we come to play an Asian Championship they start the same over and over again it's the same thing happened in 2009 and now they are doing it again.
I hope it's not jealousy or something. even though we're not having abroad players on this squad we're still on the head of suspicion.

man the thing here is that
some of you are bragging to be the best (which is ok for me)
to the extent that they are looking down on us.
lets just cut this conversation to an end..
thank you guys..i hope that hagop is happy now..

acklium
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
could be man leave the joke behind. everything's possible with him.

ill rewrite my sentece

SHES REALLY A SPY!

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
ill rewrite my sentece

SHES REALLY A SPY!

:D haha

Mojado
09-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned players so far:

Syria: Eder Araujo (Brazilian)
Qatar: Ngombo (Congo), Ndiaye and Ndour (Senegal), Mohamed and El Hadary (Egypt)
Philippines: Lassiter and Lutz(USA)

RedMetal
09-15-2011, 10:42 AM
mmmanotoc Matthew Manotoc
wow, just heard @ChrisLutz14 @ladylassiter13 have to be flip before 16? WTF. that means they're out for the tourney. thanks FIBA @tjmanotoc:mad:

Mojado
09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
mmmanotoc Matthew Manotoc
wow, just heard @ChrisLutz14 @ladylassiter13 have to be flip before 16? WTF. that means they're out for the tourney. thanks FIBA @tjmanotoc:mad:

There you go, that's what I thought. They got their passports too late.
Neverthenless, your NT does not need them, as you got pretty good guards already.

greenarcher
09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
We need them for defending players like Samad Nikha and Sun Yue.

These guys have already played internationally before. They purposely brought out this technicality when it will hurt the most.

F*ck Hagop.

babdelkader
09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned players so far:

Syria: Eder Araujo (Brazilian)
Qatar: Ngombo (Congo), Ndiaye and Ndour (Senegal), Mohamed and El Hadary (Egypt)
Philippines: Lassiter and Lutz(USA)

is that confirmed ???
why now ?

Mojado
09-15-2011, 10:52 AM
We need them for defending players like Samad Nikha and Sun Yue.

These guys have already played internationally before. They purposely brought out this technicality when it will hurt the most.

F*ck Hagop.

they both played only college hoops,thats it. you got home-grown talent with the same height and skills.

And its not Hagop, its FIBA who tightened their controls. The orders are coming from Geneva after FIBA Asia has been too slobby in the past.

RedMetal
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
If chris lutz and marcio lassiters papers was incomplete, i think we should blame the SBP heads, its been 3years in the making, i think they should have master the FIBA rules or even memorized it to the letter, if their doing your job.

babdelkader
09-15-2011, 11:14 AM
they both played only college hoops,thats it. you got home-grown talent with the same height and skills.

And its not Hagop, its FIBA who tightened their controls. The orders are coming from Geneva after FIBA Asia has been too slobby in the past.

why now ?

interxavierxxx
09-15-2011, 11:20 AM
why now ?

As much as I dislike the predicament we're in, this is a good development in FIBA Asia.

darkknight1200
09-15-2011, 11:50 AM
If chris lutz and marcio lassiters papers was incomplete, i think we should blame the SBP heads, its been 3years in the making, i think they should have master the FIBA rules or even memorized it to the letter, if their doing your job.

both are legit, dude! don't blame the SBP.

ros
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
In an article I've read there's also two Lebanese player who are being questioned.

Citing a particular article in the FIBA constitution, FIBA Asia officials barred Fil-Am players Marcio Lassiter and Chris Lutz from playing as Smart Gilas Pilipinas was to open its campaign in the 26th FIBA Asia championship here tonight.

FIBA Asia deputy secretary general Hagop Khajirian ruled the two Fil-Ams as naturalized players based on the documents submitted by Smart Gilas operations chief Butch Antonio during the team managers meeting Wednesday night.

Curiously, these were the same papers cleared by the same association allowing Lassiter and Lutz to play in the SEABA championship and the FIBA Asia Champions Cup.

“I cannot judge how they played there, maybe they presented documents that we need now,” Khajirian told Filipino sportswriters.

He said the article he’s citing has been in place in the last 20 years.

“According to this regulation, any player who acquired citizenship after the age of 16 is considered as naturalized player,” said Kharijian.

“(Their papers) clearly say that both players have been issued Philippine passport on the date after their 16th birthday,” Khajirian added. “They (may have become) Filipinos after the age of 16. We don't have a document proving that they acquired citizenship before the age of 16.”

Khajirian said the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas must obtain this document for Lassiter and Lutz to be allowed to play in Smart Gilas’ succeeding games.

If not, Lassiter and Lutz are considered naturalized players and thus disallowed to play for Smart Gilas since the team already has one in Marcus Douthit.

Lassiter and Lutz, both born to a Filipina mother and an American father, are considered natural-born Filipinos under the 1987 Philippine Constitution.

“Present any document which can prove and they can play in the next game,” the FIBA Asia official said.

Kharijian said the Philippines is not being singled out since five players from Qatar, one from Syria and two from his own federation Lebanon face the same problem.

He added they informed SBP of this needed requirement in a letter last Aug. 30.

Mojado
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
In an article I've read there's also two Lebanese player who are being questioned.

Bawji and Tabet.

macan77
09-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Bawji and Tabet.

so these two are also not yet allowed to play?

Mojado
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM

I dont know,just simple guessing.

Bernard
09-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Bawji and Tabet.

dude, these are lebanese more than me or any other Lebanese citizen.
if they got the chance to go and study in the US, that doesnt make them less Lebanese, does it ?... :rolleyes:

Long Live Lebanon !! (Except All the Politicians !!)

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 12:37 PM

they were questioned and no problems since all the official papers were there.
As Bernard said they are Lebanese no doubt

Mojado
09-15-2011, 12:45 PM
dude, these are lebanese more than me or any other Lebanese citizen.
if they got the chance to go and study in the US, that doesnt make them less Lebanese, does it ?... :rolleyes:

Long Live Lebanon !! (Except All the Politicians !!)

They were born in the U.S. and therefore also U.S. American citizen.
That's why they were questioned. But sicne they do have the Lebanese citizenship since their youth days, there is no doubt.

darkknight1200
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Hagop Khajirian has never heard of JUS SANGUINIS. What an idiot.

macan77
09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
they were questioned and no problems since all the official papers were there.
As Bernard said they are Lebanese no doubt

ok thanks

ASB
09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Hagop Khajirian has never heard of JUS SANGUINIS. What an idiot.

i don't think he knows about it..maybe dollar signs he knows it..:cool:

JAMSKIE
09-15-2011, 02:03 PM
How many players do U think that had played in d previous editions of this tournament that claimed 2 be half-breed or having dual citizenships had complied w/ what FIBA is requiring the Philippines rayt now so that lassiter & lutz wil be allowed 2 play? FIBA has been "extremely lenient" regarding eligibity all these years, and that despite of very strong rumors that Qatar has been parading non qatari citizens on its national team.

In d previous editions of FIBA-asia Men's Champioships, Lebanon paraded Brian Beshara Feghali & Matt Fregie who claims 2 be Lebanese-American. Jordan's Islam Abbas is said to be from Palestine but he has been suiting up w/ d Jordan nat'l. team 4 several years now. about 13 years ago china paraded 7 foot center named Bateer Menke who is reportedly from mongolia.

My question: Did these mentioned players went under scrutiny by FIBA the same way FIBA is scrutinizing Filipino players right now? Both Lassiter & Lutz were born w/ filipina mothers & they have conclussive evidences 2 prove it. The fact that the Bureau of Imigration & the Department of Justice cleared both players as legitimate filipino citizens suggests that our laws recognize them as Filipino citizens. It has been d practice of FIBA-asia all these years 2 clear a player eligible 2 play 4 d country he represents provided that player is being recognized by d country he represents as a legitimate citizen of that contry. This is perhaps the reason why Qatari players who are actualy citizens of african countries were alowed 2 play 4 d Qatar nat'l team becoz maybe under d rules of citizenship of d Qatari goverment, any foreigner who wishes 2 be come qatari citizen can obtain such citizenship not as a "naturalized" citizen but a legitimate citizen. FIBA only allows 1 Naturalized player 4 each team, but since those african citizens who obtained qatari citizenship as legit qataris and not as "naturalized" players, Qatar can have as many as 7 to 10 players of african descent.

FIBA used to be very very lenient on citizenship issues all these years. why had it become very very strict after that Lebanese FIBA-asia official protested against lassiter & lutz? After scrutinizing d Philippines, FIBA-asia suddenly questioned d eligibility of Qatari players, something w/c they had ignored 4 several years now. Wasn't that just to show that FIBA is fair 2 everyone? Wasn't it that FIBA was just compelled 2 scrutinize qatar so that it would not be obvious that they are only after 4 d Philippines?

If FIBA disallows Lutz & lassiter 2 play, imagine d impact of that in basketball comunity all over the world. I wonder how many half breed players or players w/ dual citizens playing or had played in FIBA tournaments w/c obtained passports from the countries they represent be4 they reached d age of 16?
Tony Parker & Joaquim Noah who are playing 4 france 4 instance might not have obtained their french passports be4 they turned 16.

whatever FIBA's rulling regarding d eligibility of Lassiter & lutz, will definitely set a precedence not just for Asian basketball but 4 the whole world as well.

rocketstar47
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
However Lebanon Defeated India by only 3 pts 71-69 :D

sinobball
09-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Tony Parker & Joaquim Noah who are playing 4 france 4 instance might not have obtained their french passports be4 they turned 16.

whatever FIBA's rulling regarding d eligibility of Lassiter & lutz, will definitely set a precedence not just for Asian basketball but 4 the whole world as well.Joakim Noah is a naturalized French citizen who got his passport after 16. Parker on the other hand grew up in France since he was a little kid until he was 19.

This is a very good ruling by FIBA-Asia. I've long pointed out the problems with Lutz and Lassiter but most of y'all personal attack me and now you get what you deserve. For all FIBA tournaments, roster eligibilities were decided one day before the tournament at the technical meeting, but you can cry foul or come up with conspiracy theories however you like.

Jus sanguinis, huh? If Korea does what Philippines does, then their team will consist not only of Jarod Stevenson, but also of his brother Greg, also Tony Akins, also Eric Sandrin, also Daniel Sandrin and Julian Fausto Fernandez, PLUS A 7-FOOTER AMERICAN. I'm pretty sure the first 4 players can destroy Lutz or Lassiter since they were all imports in major European leagues.

gazara
09-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Sports Magazine
GAME REACTION:

Sarkis: It was really a hard game, the Iranian Coach had warned me about the Indians as Iran played India and hardly beat them in the end of the last quarter.
We didnt play good, didnt have the good percentages on Free throws and 3pts while India were very successful with that. Plus Hoskin was injured and had to leave us for most of the game, lucky he got back in the last 4 minutes as we were down and he push us up. The important was the win against an underestimated team.

Mike Chester
09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
If it is not for the disqualification of the 5 players of Qatar, I highly doubted that Lebanon can even qualify to the Quarterfinals.

It would surely be Korea, Iran, Qatar and Chinese Taipei. But now that Qatar will definitely be out, then they may have 50/50 chance.

It will be Korea, Iran, CT and the last place will be either Lebanon or India

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 02:34 PM
guys anyone explain this Standing on Group B

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83/mavrick_h/standings.jpg

is it because of the game was suspended the winner takes 1 point like regular losers ?

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Sports Magazine
GAME REACTION:

Sarkis: It was really a hard game, the Iranian Coach had warned me about the Indians as Iran played India and hardly beat them in the end of the last quarter.
We didnt play good, didnt have the good percentages on Free throws and 3pts while India were very successful with that. Plus Hoskin was injured and had to leave us for most of the game, lucky he got back in the last 4 minutes as we were down and he push us up. The important was the win against an underestimated team.

so India is a good team now aha that makes a bit sense

mikepogi
09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Joakim Noah is a naturalized French citizen who got his passport after 16. Parker on the other hand grew up in France since he was a little kid until he was 19.

This is a very good ruling by FIBA-Asia. I've long pointed out the problems with Lutz and Lassiter but most of y'all personal attack me and now you get what you deserve. For all FIBA tournaments, roster eligibilities were decided one day before the tournament at the technical meeting, but you can cry foul or come up with conspiracy theories however you like.

Jus sanguinis, huh? If Korea does what Philippines does, then their team will consist not only of Jarod Stevenson, but also of his brother Greg, also Tony Akins, also Eric Sandrin, also Daniel Sandrin and Julian Fausto Fernandez, PLUS A 7-FOOTER AMERICAN. I'm pretty sure the first 4 players can destroy Lutz or Lassiter since they were all imports in major European leagues.
Then go for it.. Nobody is stopping the Korean team to play their diasporas, and getting a naturalized import.

These two players played in the Stankovic Cup, 2 Fiba-Asia club champions, Asian Games, and SEABA. The Stankovic cup and Fiba-Asia club were handled by the same committee that is denying them their eligibility now..Do you think that's fair. They could have made this clear 2 weeks before when the teams were asked to present their 24 man line-up...

mikepogi
09-15-2011, 02:47 PM
so India is a good team now aha that makes a bit sense

Man.. your team really got weak without your main players, and your resident naturalized player in Vroman..

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Man.. your team really got weak without your main players, and your resident naturalized player in Vroman..

that's why it's a new stage in the Lebanese basketball history. we are rebuilding our team. main players can't be with us all the time.

lebanese phoenix
09-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Joakim Noah is a naturalized French citizen who got his passport after 16. Parker on the other hand grew up in France since he was a little kid until he was 19.

nicely said Sinobball, you were right on all along, btw very nice game for China today, i really didint expect such a performance, i guess you can also adapt to a very fast game:eek:
Frankly speaking, and after today's results, china is the only true number 1 contender for this championship, all other teams have been shown to be quite feeble and shaky, you stood out today, and if you continue this way it's gona be an easy road for china to gold and would beat all other top contender by 10-20 points.
I noticed a major change in your basketball game, you're adapting a faster rythm,perfect bball, benchin ZhiZhi who was slowing your lineup all along,good ball rotation and kudos on the nice 3pts percentage.

mikepogi
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
that's why it's a new stage in the Lebanese basketball history. we are rebuilding our team. main players can't be with us all the time.

So your target really is on the next World Championship Qualifiers (2013 Fiba-Asia).. Its a good start but some of this players are not exactly young. Or are they??

mikepogi
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
nicely said Sinobball, you were right on all along, btw very nice game for China today, i really didint expect such a performance, i guess you can also adapt to a very fast game:eek:
Frankly speaking, and after today's results, china is the only true number 1 contender for this championship, all other teams have been shown to be quite feeble and shaky, you stood out today, and if you continue this way it's gona be an easy road for china to gold and would beat all other top contender by 10-20 points.
I noticed a major change in your basketball game, you're adapting a faster rythm,perfect bball, benchin ZhiZhi who was slowing your lineup all along,good ball rotation and kudos on the nice 3pts percentage.

I still think Iran is the better team at this point. Its the first game, most teams are getting use to the playing conditions. By the time the second round, most of the teams would have already adjusted.. And no he didnt have a sound argument.

PacificRims
09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Lol with China and their fake 10th World Ranking, cheating by changing their player's age and tampering players from other teams, with regards to their citizenship.

budz17
09-15-2011, 03:04 PM
well, china made a lot of three point shots.

and bahrain team was just not anywhere the level of china team.

I mean, their main player, bader malabes played college ball here in the phils.

he was not even the main man for that team, he was good, yes.

what I noticed is that this new china team is more perimeter oriented. they get most of their scores from the wing and perimeter players, unlike in the past they dominated with their big players in the post.

the question is, can they dominate west asian teams with yi jianliang and wang zhizhi?

a lot of teams will be watching very closely tomorrow then china meets phil.

kaiziken_pinas
09-15-2011, 03:06 PM

FIBA RULES STATE:
“Any player with two legal nationalities or more by birth will choose at any age the national team for which he will play". Article 3 (16).

and yeah, look at the Chinese junior players with their dubious ages.
The Chinese federation WILL get what they deserve.

We're not lying. We're not faking anything, unlike China.

alien space bats
09-15-2011, 03:12 PM

dont be stupid. south korea has different nationality laws. why would our hands be tied with theirs? though i concede that FIBA, and for this matter, China, could pretty much do whatever they please on their turf, that does not make their decision morally right. this is a clear case of subterfuge.

ros
09-15-2011, 03:20 PM

Do you think what you or the FIBA is stating is racist? Coz Lassiter and Lutz are half-filipino.

No one is stopping Korea to do that, if they're of Korean descent by either their mother or father then let them play.

Our national team was surprised by the current decision of FIBA-Asia since these 2 guys they're stating as ineligible were playing a lot of FIBA sanctioned tournaments before and was deemed as a Filipino by FIBA themselves. Probably our team was confident because they were allowed before in the first place plus with necessary documents that they even reviewed themselves.

Fickle-minded!

Mojado
09-15-2011, 03:27 PM

That would be indeed an argument. India didnt include Anish Sharda and other foreign-born Indians as well. They dont even allow double-nationality.

acklium
09-15-2011, 03:27 PM

very good?i hope the doping of the ages starting from your under 16 to your seniors does have a problem with the real age of your players..actually even your own basketball experts do confess about these irregularities..

kisssabayhug
09-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Korea is welcome to do so. So long as their constitution states that they were Korean citizens since birth, by virtue of one or both of their parents being Korean citizens at the time of their birth. Now if their constitution merely grants them the right to elect for Korean citizenship later in life rather than granting them citizenship automatically (as is the case with the Philppine constitution), then they'd be classified as naturalized players under Fiba book 3, 21.a., unless they declare Korean citizenship before the age of 16.

Speaking of which, the 16-year age limit seems rather strange to me, in most countries, the age of majority (the age at which an individual is considered an adult and is determined competent to make decisions for his/herself) is between 18 and 21.

alien space bats
09-15-2011, 03:52 PM
That would be indeed an argument. India didnt include Anish Sharda and other foreign-born Indians as well. They dont even allow double-nationality.

it's an argument alright but is it a valid argument? this is an issue on which worldview on nationality is more internationally acceptable.

on the one hand, we have the 1930 hague convention on conflict of nationality laws providing that it is for each state to determine under its own law who are its nationals. this law shall be recognized by other states in so far as it is consistent with international conventions, international custom, and the principles of law generally recognized with regard to nationality.

on the other hand, we have xenophobic asian nations preserving their ancient bloodlines.

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 04:01 PM
So your target really is on the next World Championship Qualifiers (2013 Fiba-Asia).. Its a good start but some of this players are not exactly young. Or are they??

yeah mainly the goal here is to prepare for 2013 qualifiers. Now i know we had a bad start today but the goal as the coach mentioned is to reach the semis.
He promised the fans he will win the AC 2013 since it's going to be in Beirut.

now let's see what happens in this one.

about the players age they are young enough to contribute for Example Bawji who had a decent game today is 23 yo. still he made his 4th personal foul at the start of the 3rd quarter which proves he lacks experience.

old/experienced players in the squad are El Nour, Reda, Ibrahim & Hoskin 4/12 only as for the rest young and inexperienced.

JGX
09-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Tha would be a good argument for FIBA changing the rules so they're the same for everyone. But under the rules that actually exist, it's not an argument at all.

eitra
09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
How about Chris Kaman?.. Puerto ricans who were born here in USA and played in their country.. a lot of them..China is politics they gonna do what they want to sabotage each team especially Philippines...if China will go to semis they gonna loss to Iran or Korea...But I still believe we can do it all out tomorrow against China...pilayan c YI translation Yi still good...

lebanese phoenix
09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
yeah mainly the goal here is to prepare for 2013 qualifiers. Now i know we had a bad start today but the goal as the coach mentioned is to reach the semis.
He promised the fans he will win the AC 2013 since it's going to be in Beirut.

now let's see what happens in this one.

about the players age they are young enough to contribute for Example Bawji who had a decent game today is 23 yo. still he made his 4th personal foul at the start of the 3rd quarter which proves he lacks experience.

old/experienced players in the squad are El Nour, Reda, Ibrahim & Hoskin 4/12 only as for the rest young and inexperienced.

correction bawji is 21:) he was born in 1990

privateEYE
09-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Do you even have a slight knowledge of our Philippine law regarding citizenship???

if none, don't talk as if you are accusing us of cheating the profile of our players. Talk to your basketball officials first to present the legit age of your players.

I'm not sure how secluded are you inside the big wall surrounding your country that you don't even know that each country has a different law regarding citizenship.

mavrick_h
09-15-2011, 04:19 PM

ok it's posted on FIBA Asia 1988

kisssabayhug
09-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Sinoball, there you go again. You never fail to show your true colors in the heat of the moment. For all your libertarian pretensions (which I always buy), your racist and Chinese supremacist tendencies NEVER FAIL to show up in times like these. Volbert's 'China Basketball Theory' once dismissed Iran as "simply no good genetically." Look where they are now.

Chris Lutz & Marcio Lassiter are NATURAL-BORN Filipinos precisely because our laws define a Filipino beyond the bounds of ethnicity, unlike China's xenophobic laws that ban anyone with dark skin from acquiring the gall to call themselves "Chinese with black characteristics."

Legalese aside, 'Filipino' is not about race or genetic makeup (though Lutz and Lassiter, strictly speaking, are genetically half-Filipinos). Filipino is a state of being. Chris Tiu is pure Chinese, yet we embrace him as one of our own because he represents what being a Filipino is all about. Hagop's rub about Lutz and Lassiter? All noise. Definitely malicious.

So let the black-Koreans run roughshod over our Lutzes and Lassiters, as you proudly claim. While you're at it, let the black-Chinese do the same thing -- but wait -- I forgot. Chinese policy is so afraid of anything black diluting their supremacist yellow gene pool. Even the black-Chinese in HK identify themselves more with Filipinos than their own HK cousins.

Was it it me who one accused Sinoball = Arthur Volbert? I don't mean to glorify (or insult, whichever the case may be) Mr. Volbert. But yes, my friend, I'm at it again.

http://youchew.net/wiki/images/f/fd/Slow-Clap.gif

Well said, sir. Well said.

lebanese phoenix
09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
ok it's posted on FIBA Asia 1988

it's wrong:) he was supposed to play with the U18 team 4 years ago but couldnt bcs he was a few days older,if i'm not mistaken he's born in the last days of december 89, so technically 90,he was supposed to team up with ahmad brahim,elie habr,gyokchian,micheal nar,vincentt khoury but couldnt bcs he was just a few days older:p

daniab
09-15-2011, 04:29 PM

he's 89, late 89 in fact

macan77
09-15-2011, 05:02 PM

word of advice: read this provision in the FIBA rules and try to understand if this is applicable to LUTZ and Lassister

“any player with two legal nationalities or more by birth or by naturalization will choose at any age the national team for which he will play." Article 3 (16)

don't try to be stupid. Koreans can do what they want as long as they have it in their laws. Our laws give person automatic filipino citizenship if their father or mother is a filipino at the time of their birth. if koreans, lebanese, chinese or others have different laws, that's their prerogative..

Cool_Enz
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
While I am saddened with FIBA's ruling on the eligibility of Filipino-Americans Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter, at least this move barred those Africans from playing for Qatar. Imagine a Qatari line-up with "official" naturalized player Chauncey Leslie and a bunch of "unofficial" naturalized players led by Tanguy Ngombo :)

alien space bats
09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
While I am saddened with FIBA's ruling on the eligibility of Filipino-Americans Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter, at least this move barred those Africans from playing for Qatar. Imagine a Qatari line-up with "official" naturalized player Chauncey Leslie and a bunch of "unofficial" naturalized players led by Tanguy Ngombo :)

this is a matter of principle. the truth is that FIBA asia is imposing this rule arbitrarily. if these people really believe a thing they say then they should ban anyone who fails to meet the prerequisites. but why were asi and kelly allowed to play? where in the rules does it state that this particular provision only operates prospectively and not retroactively? you see, this is plain bullshit. fiba people interpreting rules to suit their whims.

ilnewgnay
09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Sinoball, there you go again. You never fail to show your true colors in the heat of the moment. For all your libertarian pretensions (which I always buy), your racist and Chinese supremacist tendencies NEVER FAIL to show up in times like these. Volbert's 'China Basketball Theory' once dismissed Iran as "simply no good genetically." Look where they are now.

Chris Lutz & Marcio Lassiter are NATURAL-BORN Filipinos precisely because our laws define a Filipino beyond the bounds of ethnicity, unlike China's xenophobic laws that ban anyone with dark skin from acquiring the gall to call themselves "Chinese with black characteristics."

Legalese aside, 'Filipino' is not about race or genetic makeup (though Lutz and Lassiter, strictly speaking, are genetically half-Filipinos). Filipino is a state of being. Chris Tiu is pure Chinese, yet we embrace him as one of our own because he represents what being a Filipino is all about. Hagop's rub about Lutz and Lassiter? All noise. Definitely malicious.

So let the black-Koreans run roughshod over our Lutzes and Lassiters, as you proudly claim. While you're at it, let the black-Chinese do the same thing -- but wait -- I forgot. Chinese policy is so afraid of anything black diluting their supremacist yellow gene pool. Even the black-Chinese in HK identify themselves more with Filipinos than their own HK cousins.

Was it it me who once accused Sinoball = Arthur Volbert? I don't mean to glorify (or insult, whichever the case may be) Mr. Volbert. But yes, my friend, I'm at it again.

Sorry I do not want to join in the argue whether Chris Lutz or Marcio Lassiter, or anyone else should be banned or not. But you attitude shows that you look like a real racialist. You know nothing about Chinese laws and you can do nothing except blaming China with ridiculous reasons. You just want to use rumor to let others believe the thinking method of Chinese is irrational.

Chinese do not care about the colour of skin. We have players with black skin.

http://epaper.gxnews.com.cn/ngzb2/res/1/20090427/74731240783819468.jpg
Ding Hui, a young guy with black skin, became a member of Chinese National Team of Volleyball in April 2011. His father is South African and His mother is Chinese. He born in China, lives in China since his birth, speaks Chinese, and has Chinese nationality. He is a real Chinese, no matter which colour of his skin.

We are rational. Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter may be banned because of their experience instead of their skin. FIBA Asia, not China, judged it. Stop using rumors and fallacy to blame China.

eitra
09-15-2011, 06:26 PM
China and Hagop will be blamed..It is nothing about experienced its freedom coz Their mom are Filipinos and they been playing for our country most all FIBA sanction...China dictate everything coz they are powerful..China had a lot of experience than our National team so come on China you just use Hagop to disqualify our legit filipino players Lutz and Lassiter coz these guys can cause you problems in your team...especially you don't have Wa sheping in your line up ....God will help us because of the truth....God bless Smart Gilas makes our country proud beat China tomorrow or another game...

weward
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
China and Hagop will be blamed..It is nothing about experienced its freedom coz Their mom are Filipinos and they been playing for our country most all FIBA sanction...China dictate everything coz they are powerful..China had a lot of experience than our National team so come on China you just use Hagop to disqualify our legit filipino players Lutz and Lassiter coz these guys can cause you problems in your team...especially you don't have Wa sheping in your line up ....God will help us because of the truth....God bless Smart Gilas makes our country proud beat China tomorrow or another game...

the main thing that we are fighting for is for lutz and lassiter to be included not because we want to win the championship or whatever but because their right to play was taken away from them! unfair!

eitra
09-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Coach Hur is upset for unfair operation of Championship - Sep 15, 2011 (by JungHwan Seo)

Korean national team head coach Hur Jae is very upset for unfair operation of Asian Basketball Championship 2011 in Wuhan.

According to coach, Korean team could not get any enough practice time & good facilities before their first match against Malaysia.

'We could touch the court for the first time just 10 minutes before the game. We could not have any practice time on the court floor before the game. This is totally crazy' Hur said after defeated Malaysia to 89-42.

'Yesterday, I asked a practice time on the main court. However, that request was denied. Organizing committee explained that every team can not practice on the main court. But we already knew that Chinese National team has been playing on the main court everyday' Coach added.

Training time on the sub court was also incomprehensible to coach. Korean team played at 3:30 PM today. However assigned practice time for Korea was 8 AM.

There is another nonsensical situation. Korea will face India at 17th 1:30 PM. But they have no training time before the match. Because Korean team's practice time is 8 PM on the same day. It is about 5 hours later when they finished the game.

Korean team borrowed private facilities to fix these problems by themselves. But that gym is so far from their hotel. On the other hands, referees are staying in the same hotel with Chinese players. That made some complaints from many countries including Iran and Korea.

'I focused on sharing playing time to save strength of my guys today. Team chemistry is very good now. We are not going to depend on HA and Jarod too much. We will share many offense chances. We are very confident against Lebanon tomorrow' Hur expected.

eitra
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Coach Hur is upset for unfair operation of Championship - Sep 15, 2011 (by JungHwan Seo)

Korean national team head coach Hur Jae is very upset for unfair operation of Asian Basketball Championship 2011 in Wuhan.

According to coach, Korean team could not get any enough practice time & good facilities before their first match against Malaysia.

'We could touch the court for the first time just 10 minutes before the game. We could not have any practice time on the court floor before the game. This is totally crazy' Hur said after defeated Malaysia to 89-42.

'Yesterday, I asked a practice time on the main court. However, that request was denied. Organizing committee explained that every team can not practice on the main court. But we already knew that Chinese National team has been playing on the main court everyday' Coach added.

Training time on the sub court was also incomprehensible to coach. Korean team played at 3:30 PM today. However assigned practice time for Korea was 8 AM.

There is another nonsensical situation. Korea will face India at 17th 1:30 PM. But they have no training time before the match. Because Korean team's practice time is 8 PM on the same day. It is about 5 hours later when they finished the game.

Korean team borrowed private facilities to fix these problems by themselves. But that gym is so far from their hotel. On the other hands, referees are staying in the same hotel with Chinese players. That made some complaints from many countries including Iran and Korea.

'I focused on sharing playing time to save strength of my guys today. Team chemistry is very good now. We are not going to depend on HA and Jarod too much. We will share many offense chances. We are very confident against Lebanon tomorrow' Hur expected.

Sinnoball read this article Chinese are cheaters they want to do everything to win the FIBA ASIA..

lapukman
09-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Sorry I do not want to join in the argue whether Chris Lutz or Marcio Lassiter, or anyone else should be banned or not. But you attitude shows that you look like a real racialist. You know nothing about Chinese laws and you can do nothing except blaming China with ridiculous reasons. You just want to use rumor to let others believe the thinking method of Chinese is irrational.

Ding Hui, a young guy with black skin, became a member of Chinese National Team of Volleyball in April 2011. His father is South African and His mother is Chinese. He born in China, lives in China since his birth, speaks Chinese, and has Chinese nationality. He is a real Chinese, no matter which colour of his skin.

We are rational. Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter may be banned because of their experience instead of their skin. FIBA Asia, not China, judged it. Stop using rumors and fallacy to blame China.

I understand where you are coming from, but what is happening right now is a clear sign that the host is doing everything it can just to have some kind of undue advantage against everybody... Many participating countries are already crying foul but you still won't listen ... Oh well, that's the sad truth about China... It's not about being fair and just ... It's about them ONLY.

zoman114
09-16-2011, 12:25 AM
JORDAN over SYRIA, 71-58
JOR 71 - Wright 20, Dahglas 19, Abbaas 8, Abbas 8, Zaghab 5, Soobzokov 5, Al-Sous 5, Abuquora 1, Al-Khas 0
SYR 58 - Jlilati 13, Nalbandian 11, Al-Hamowi 8, Daks 7, Kasaballi 7, Lubus 5, Deeb 3, Al-Saman 2, Osfira 2, Al-Khatib 0
QS: 18-12, 31-36, 56-46, 71-58
- Behind the hot shooting of Wael Jlilati and Vache Nalbandian, Syria was able to mount a lead in the first half, but the Jordanians, thanks to Rasheim Wright and Sam Dahglas, put on a run in the 3rd stanza that gave them some separation.
- Syrian big man Abdulwahab Al-Hamowi had some good moments in the fourth, but Jordan proved to be too much. It's clear Syria is missing star scorer Michael Madanly, and maybe even another player whose eligibility was being questioned (Eder Araujo Georges).
- Jordan pulled through at just the right time to avoid a stressful endgame and ready themselves for a big one against the Japanese tomorrow. Islam Abbaas helped the Jordanians keep in step with Syria in the first half, where he scored 7 of his 8 markers.

IRAN over TAIWAN, 49-37
IRI - Bahrami 18, Kazemi 8, Haddadi 8, Sahakian 6, Davoudi 3, Davari 2, Kamrani 2, Afagh 2, Kardoust 0
TPE - Wu 15, Lin 8, Chen HA 7, Chien 4, Tseng 3, Lee 0, Su 0, Lu 0, Ho 0, Chang 0
QS: 10-8, 17-19, 32-31, 49-47
- The Taiwanese held on for dear life throughout most of the game until Samad Nikkhah Bahrami showed up and strutted his stuff, scoring 16 points in 7 minutes to lead Iran past Chinese-Taipei in what was a very low-scoring affair.
- Wu Tai-Hao, coming off sick bay, held his own against Iranian giant Hamed Haddadi in the first half, where he scored all but 2 of his points. Coach Chou Jun-San's wards, however, weren't able to take advantage of their numerous looks from downtown as they only hit 2 of 20 triples. Leading sniper Lin Chih-Chieh shot 0-of-7 from deep.
- Coach Vaselin Matic's boys showed good resolve in coming from as many as 10 points down to thwart Taiwan's upset hopes. Nobody aside from Samad broke into double-digits, but almost everyone did score, save for Asghar Kardoust. It was a slow start that should motivate Iran to play tougher in their next game against depleted Qatar.

JAPAN over INDONESIA, 81-59
JPN 81 - Takeuchi J 11, Kawamura 10, Takeuchi K 10, Hirose 8, Shonaka 8, Amino 7, Matsui 6, Sakurai 6, Ishizaki 6, Kashiwagi 5, Ota 4, Takeda 0
INA 59 - Sitepu 14, Poedjakesuma 12, Prawiro 9, Gunawan 6, Prihantono 5, Wuysang 5, Chandra 4, Situmorang 4, Gerungan 0, Derwanto 0, Haryoko 0, Indrawan 0
QS: 15-8, 37-24, 61-39, 81-59
- For a while there, it seemed like the Indons were going to make this one interesting, but the Japanese turned up the jets late in the 2nd quarter to leave the SEABA bridesmaids in the dust. They sustained the pressure in the last 2 periods to open their FIBA-Asia campaign on a good note.
- Christian Sitepu and Andi Poedjakesuma fought hard early on as the Indons were able to stick it to their East Asian foes, but, alas, they just didn't have enough skill to keep up with the spirited Japanese. Sitepu and Poedjakesuma combined for 5 of Indonesia's 8 treys.
- The Takeuchi twin towers lorded it underneath for coach Tom Wisman. They outrebounded and just thoroughly outplayed the Indons, showing the results of their long, hard training in Europe. A tougher opponent, however, awaits them tomorrow in the form of Jordan.

SOUTH KOREA over MALAYSIA, 89-42
KOR 89 - Cho 16, Oh 13, Lee 11, Stevenson 11, Ha 10, Yang DG 8, Kang 6, Kim YH 6, Kim JK 6, Kim JS 2, Park 0
MAS 42 - Kwaan 9, Ooi 6, Batumalai 5, Loh 5, Kuek 5, Lau 4, Chin 4, Soo 2, Wee 2, Kuppusamy 0, Ng 0, Chee 0
QS: 29-3, 47-22, 76-30, 89-42
- From the opening whistle, the Koreans just made minced meat out of Malaysia. Cho Sung-Min scored majority of his 16 points in a tragically lopsided 1st quarter where the Koreans just stamped their class. They had more rebounds, steals and assists than the hapless Malaysians, and hit 13 treys.
- Nobody cracked 10 points for Malaysia, and they had absolutely zero chance in this one. Perhaps they can have better luck against India tomorrow.
- The Koreans hardly broke any sweat in this one and should ride the momentum against an interesting match-up with the Lebanese next.

PHILIPPINES over UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, 92-52
PHL 92 - Baracael 15, Taulava 13, Douthit 13, Casio 11, Barroca 9, Tiu 9, De Ocampo 7, Alapag 6, Williams 5, Aguilar 4
UAE 52 - Ahmed 12, Al-Hattawi 11, Ahmad 10, Al-Zaabi 7, Salem 6, Al-Braiki 3, Abdalla 3, Al-Sari 0, Banihammad 0
QS: 17-12, 41-22, 69-35, 92-52
- Bucking a strange ruling that held the eligibility of wingmen Chris Lutz & Marcio Lassiter, the Filipinos still played tough and ran roughshod over the UAE five. Coach Rajko Toroman played all 10 guys on his active roster, and all scored at least 4 points to help the Pinoys start the pivotal tournament on a positive note.
- PBA call-ups Jimmy Alapag, Ranidel De Ocampo, and Kelly Williams all did well in their debut and they should lift their play even more as the games get considerably tougher from here moving forward.The Pinoys actually had more turnovers than the Emirats, but they made up for it by having more rebounds and assists. It'll be exciting to see how they'll match-up with the hulking Chinese tomorrow.
- The Emirates actually started full of energy and spunk, gaining a 5-0 lead in the first few minutes, but when the Philippines turned it on they just had no answer.

UZBEKISTAN over QATAR, 27-12
UZB 27 - Shatrov 10, Juginisov 9, Belokurov 4, Nuraliev 2, Denisov 2, Yahin 0
QAT 12 - Saad 8, Matalkeh 4, Adam 0, Saeed 0, Salem 0
QS: 27-12
- After 5 of its players were deemed ineligible a day before the start of competitions, Qatar chose to end this one early by letting its players all foul out before the 1st period even ended.
- The following suited up but sat on the sidelines: Tanguy Ngombo, Ousseynou N'Diaye, Mansour El-Hadary, Hassan Mohamed, and Mame Ndour. Unless Qatar can submit papers proving their compliance with eligibility requirements found in the 2010 FIBA rule book, then those aforementioned cagers won't play.
- The Uzbeks unexpectedly won their first assignment, but in controversial fashion. Nevertheless, they'll take this win and use the momentum to square off against the Taiwanese tomorrow.

LEBANON over INDIA, 71-68
LIB 71 - Abdelnour 24, Reda 15, Bawji 9, Hoskin 8, Kanaan 5, Martinez 4, Stephan 3, Tabet 2, Akl 1, Ibrahim 0
IND 68 - Koroth 20, Singh T 18, Singh J 9, Grewal 7, Bhriguvanshi 5, Singh Y 4, Singh Al 3, Singh At 2, Bharama 0, Mishra 0
QS: 20-16, 40-27, 54-59, 71-68
- If not for the heroics of Jean Abdelnour, this would've been the biggest upset of Day 1. It looked like Lebanon would blow out the Indians after leading by 13 at the half, but coach Ken Natt's boys didn't give up and even took a late lead before Abdelnour's clutch play.
- Also hounded by the now infamous 'eligibility' hullabaloo, the Lebanese looked lax on the floor, especially in the 2nd half, where they allowed the Indians to mount a serious rally that almost spelled disaster for returning head coach Ghassan Sarkis. Naturalized big man Sam Hoskin didn't impress too much, so he'll have to play much better if Lebanon is to advance to the 2nd round.
- Hareesh Koroth and Talwinderjit Singh were sniping revelations as the Indians converted on 8 of their 21 rainbow tries. If they continue playing like this, then advancing to the next round won't be a problem.

CHINA over BAHRAIN, 101-49
CHN 101 - Liu 15, Yi J 15, Zhu 13, Sun 11, Yi L 9, Zhang B 8, Xirelijiang 8, Zhang Z 7, Wang 6, Su 5, Yu 3, Ding 1
BRN 49 - Malabes 17, Isa 9, Al-Tawash 6, Khamis 6, Ali 5, Akber 4, Sarhan 2, Mahri 0, Al-Derazi 0, Mubarak 0, Ashoor 0, Malallah 0
QS: 25-20, 51-24, 77-45, 101-49
- The Chinese bucked a slow start to demolish a clearly overmatched Bahrain five. The Bahrainis started hot, taking a 6-point lead behind the stellar play of Bader Malabes, but once the Chinese settled down and tightened their defense, Bahrain gave up any semblance of resistance.
- China's veterans took charge here and left nothing to chance. As expected, Liu Wei, Yi Jianlian, Zhu Fangyu and Sun Yue led the team to this resounding opening win that should help them against the dangerous Filipinos tomorrow.
- Malabes, the Fil-Bahraini and former DLSU Green Archer, finished with 17 markers on the strength of 3 triples. In this team, he could be the star he never was back in Manila.

ON ELIGIBILITY:

The Good: At least now FIBA is cracking down on the true ineligibles and enforcing their rules more strictly. This is especially true for the Qataris, who are notorious for fielding players with questionable ties to the home state.

The Bad: Timing is everything, and the timing of these eligibility-related decisions just screams of misguided transparency. How can FIBA allow the eligibility-checks just a day ahead of the biggest continental tourney of the past 2 years? Again, I applaud their desire to lay down the law. It is, after all, the right thing to do, BUT they haven't done it in the best way possible. Doing the right thing for the right reasons at the wrong time and in the wrong way doesn't make things better. In this case, it makes things worse. Now that Qatar, Syria and the Philippines have 'lost' some key players, they are forced to make impromptu adjustments. All the time & resources they put into their programs have gone down the drain because of FIBA's ill-planned, and perhaps karma-driven, efforts at curbing sloppy management by FIBA-Asia.

The Ugly: So what will happen now? Syria will be without one of its top bigs (Eder Araujo Georges). Qatar will play without its starting 5. The Philippines will suffer because it lacks its two top wing defenders/shooters. And what's uglier is that these are guys who've donned the national colors before in the SEABA, SEA Games, Asian Games, Stankovic Cup and Champions Cup. Why didn't FIBA check their eligibility then? Why did FIBA allow them to play in the first place?

When asked on the reason (and the precedent!) that some of these players were allowed to play in prior tourneys, FIBA-Asia Sec-Gen Hagop Khajirian replied with this, I cannot judge how they played there, maybe they presented documents that we need now.

What does this imply? It basically implies that FIBA-Asia hasn't set a good precedent and hasn't managed its sub-orgs well enough, and now its the teams and players who have to pay for FIBA-Asia's mismanagement and inefficient information dissemination.

I won't be surprised at all if the 'ineligible' players will no longer play in this, or even future, tourneys. But the way it was done and the timing, again, is smack-dab terrible.

The articles being disputed are Section 3 Articles 16 and 21 of the FIBA Internal Regulations on Players that can be found on FIBA.com.

Heres the gist:

Article 16 -- Any player who with TWO NATIONALITIES, whether by birth or naturalization, may play for his nation of choice AT ANY AGE he chooses.

Article 21 -- A national team in any FIBA tournament may have only ONE player on its team who has acquired the legal nationality of that country by naturalization or by any other means after having reached the age of sixteen (16).

In the event of doubts, any player claiming to have acquired a legal nationality before having reached the age of sixteen (16) requires a decision by the Secretary General confirming that he does not fall under the aforementioned restriction.

Secretary General shall take into account the following criteria:
- the number of years during which the player has lived in the country, for the
national team of which he wishes to play;
- the number of seasons during which the player has participated in domestic
competitions in the country of the national team for which he wishes to play;
- any other criteria capable of establishing a significant link between the player and
the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play.

Implications: The way I understand it, Art 16 allows Chris Lutz & Marcio Lassiter to play for the NT, BUT Art 21 designates them as Naturalized players (like Marcus Douthit) UNLESS it is established that they have a SIGNIFICANT LINK with the country or NT. This, I believe, should be enough to let both Lutz and Lassiter play, as their links are aplenty -- their mothers are Pinays, they've played in the domestic league, they've played for the NT for the past couple of years, they've lived in Manila for a significant amount of time -- BUT it's all the prerogative of our 'beloved' FIBA-Asia Sec-Gen, Hagop Khajirian. Please be enlightened Mr. Khajirian. Lutz and Lassiter weren't plucked to play for the NT and then pick up and leave after the tourney. They are Pinoys. By blood. By choice. By law. Let them play.

ros
09-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Clearly somebody is trying to eliminate there adversaries outside the playing court. What a [email protected] cheater!

Next time never hold an event in China, they'll freakin' do anything just to win. If Philippines can't host the event, I'd prefer anywhere just not in China or Taiwan.

Article 16 -- Any player who with TWO NATIONALITIES, whether by birth or naturalization, may play for his nation of choice AT ANY AGE he chooses.

Article 21 -- A national team in any FIBA tournament may have only ONE player on its team who has acquired the legal nationality of that country by naturalization or by any other means after having reached the age of sixteen (16).

Based on these FIBA law, clearly Lassiter and Lutz are allowed to play by virtue of Article 16 while Marcus Dhoutit our naturalized center is allowed to play by virtue of Article 21.

It's so simple, but FIBA heads is making it so complicated most likely because there is a hidden agenda behind all this.

potz05
09-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Here's something for the books.The Chinese players in the FIBA Asia Men's Championships in Wuhan are staying in the same hotel as the refs! The Koreans have been joined by defending champions Iran in complaining about the fraternizing between the referees and Chinese players. Turns out that while Korea and the other teams are not allowed to practice on the main court, the Chinese have been practicing all the time!

-ronnathanielsz

FIBA-ASIA what the hell is happening? Fight fair and square cause its really obvious that you are favoring a team here. Are you scared that they can't win in this tourney? Come on! Show us some integrity! :mad:

PacificRims
09-16-2011, 12:50 AM
What a load. China and their fake 10th world ranking. The Chinese hosting is atrocious and unfair. Lebanon should have the slot to this years event, but NO! Corrupt Chinese officials stole the authority to host! Anywhere would be fine except China. I say BOYCOTT any more FIBA events in China! This is madness! Makes me sick to my stomach. I'm half filipino, half chinese by the way, and I am damn proud I am filipino!

potz05
09-16-2011, 12:56 AM
What a load. China and their fake 10th world ranking. The Chinese hosting is atrocious and unfair. Lebanon should have the slot to this years event, but NO! Corrupt Chinese officials stole the authority to host! Anywhere would be fine except China. I say BOYCOTT any more FIBA events in China! This is madness! Makes me sick to my stomach. I'm half filipino, half chinese by the way, and I am damn proud I am filipino!

No Teams should not Boycott. NT's should just show that even with this adversities they can beat the hell out of that favored team. It's really clear now who they are siding. It's clear in all of the news being posted not only here but also in other countries as well.

Cheaters will never prevail!!

Even if we don't win this tourney. I hope either Iran, Korea, Jordan or Lebanon boost up and win the championship.

rasheim23
09-16-2011, 01:24 AM
follow me on twitter @teamfeets

CKR13
09-16-2011, 01:26 AM
follow me on twitter @teamfeets

What up Rash? New account?

ilnewgnay
09-16-2011, 01:44 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but what is happening right now is a clear sign that the host is doing everything it can just to have some kind of undue advantage against everybody... Many participating countries are already crying foul but you still won't listen ... Oh well, that's the sad truth about China... It's not about being fair and just ... It's about them ONLY.

Ridiculous! What do you mean by "clear sign"? I have reviewed all this thread. No evidence shows that China participate in or bring press to the judgement of FIBA. What I have seen is that always Philippine are arrogant to say "upsetting China". Yes you Philippine are proud of your basketball team and have the right to have a dream. But that not means you have the right to spread rumors. Honestly, I also want the two guys can play with Philippine NT. Therefore, you will have no excuse when we beat you. Why we need to spend our concentration on a group team with historical 3W-8L(including 2W to Team B of China in 2007) against us?

pcder
09-16-2011, 01:46 AM
so many filipinos are slandering China , is there any facts or evidences show that China lead this case ? I mean the fact not conjecture !
If you have , pls show them here , or pls shut up !

By the way , China won't get any benefit from this case , you filipinos dreaming the chance to upset China , it's your business , but for us ,even though we lost Wang Shi Peng and Zhou Peng, but we have Yi Jianlian / Wang Zhizhi / Zhu Fangyu / Sun Yue / Liu Wei and some role players just like Max Zhang(220 cm),the game with Philippines is in our bag no matter you would have that two guys or not~

RedMetal
09-16-2011, 01:46 AM
CHINA’S UNFAIR TACTICS IN FIBA MEN’S BASKETBALL

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2011

Host nation China, as expected, is resorting to unfair tactics in the FIBA Asia Men’s Basketball Championships which they are hosting in Wuhan.

South Korea’s head coach Hur Jae is reportedly very upset over what was termed unfair operations in which the Korean team could not get enough practice time and good facilities before their opening game in which they routed Malaysia 89-42.

In a post game interview the former outstanding national team member said “ We could touch the court for the first time just ten minutes before the game. We could not have any practice time on the court floor before the game. This is totally crazy.”

Hur Jae recalled “Yesterday I asked for practice time on the main court. However, that request was denied. Organizing committee explained that every team cannot practice on the main court. But we already knew that the Chinese national team has been playing on the main court every day.”

Correspondent Jun Hwan Seo reported on the Asia Basket website that Hur Jae was also upset over the practice time assigned to the Koreans before the Malaysia game. The practice time assigned to the team on the so-called sub-court was 8:00 a.m. with game time at 3:30 p.m.

Seo reported what the Korean coach regarded as a “nonsensical situation” where Korea faces India on September 17 at 1:30 p.m. but have no training time before the game. The practice time allotted to them was 8:00 p.m. which is about five hours after the game against India ends.

In an effort to resolve their problems the Koreans arranged for private facilities to practice but the gym is very far from their hotel.

In another questionable practice by the hosts, correspondent Seo pointed out that the FIBA referees are staying in the same hotel with the Chinese players which resulted in complaints by both Korea and defending champions Iran. :eek:

potz05
09-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Ridiculous! What do you mean by "clear sign"? I have reviewed all this thread. No evidence shows that China participate in or bring press to the judgement of FIBA. What I have seen is that always Philippine are arrogant to say "upsetting China". Yes you Philippine are proud of your basketball team and have the right to have a dream. But that not means you have the right to spread rumors. Honestly, I also want the two guys can play with Philippine NT. Therefore, you will have no excuse when we beat you. Why we need to spend our concentration on a group team with historical 3W-8L(including 2W to Team B of China in 2007) against us?

I don't know either man but what can you say about your team in the same hotel as the referees? Or National teams like Korea and Iran can't practice to the main courts while your team always use the court for practice?

Its a very quizzical notion and it's not just rumors, it's already published not only in the Philippines but in Korea as well.

potz05
09-16-2011, 01:50 AM
so many filipinos are slandering China , is there any facts or evidences show that China lead this case ? I mean the fact not conjecture !
If you have , pls show them here , or pls shut up !

By the way , China won't get any benefit from this case , you filipinos dreaming the chance to upset China , it's your business , but for us ,even though we lost Wang Shi Peng and Zhou Peng, but we have Yi Jianlian / Wang Zhizhi / Zhu Fangyu / Sun Yue / Liu Wei and some role players just like Max Zhang(220 cm),the game with Philippines is in our bag no matter you would have that two guys or not~

We're not just gunning for the win. We just want fairness it's not only the Philippines having this queries but other countries as well like Korea and Iran.

pcder
09-16-2011, 02:02 AM
We're not just gunning for the win. We just want fairness it's not only the Philippines having this queries but other countries as well like Korea and Iran.
Just like I have said, if you have evidences , pls show here ~
China is China ,Fiba-Asia is Fiba-Asia , you could blame if we didn't do 100% as a host, but stop slandering China in this case.

potz05
09-16-2011, 02:07 AM
CHINA’S UNFAIR TACTICS IN FIBA MEN’S BASKETBALL

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2011

Host nation China, as expected, is resorting to unfair tactics in the FIBA Asia Men’s Basketball Championships which they are hosting in Wuhan.

South Korea’s head coach Hur Jae is reportedly very upset over what was termed unfair operations in which the Korean team could not get enough practice time and good facilities before their opening game in which they routed Malaysia 89-42.

In a post game interview the former outstanding national team member said “ We could touch the court for the first time just ten minutes before the game. We could not have any practice time on the court floor before the game. This is totally crazy.”

Hur Jae recalled “Yesterday I asked for practice time on the main court. However, that request was denied. Organizing committee explained that every team cannot practice on the main court. But we already knew that the Chinese national team has been playing on the main court every day.”

Correspondent Jun Hwan Seo reported on the Asia Basket website that Hur Jae was also upset over the practice time assigned to the Koreans before the Malaysia game. The practice time assigned to the team on the so-called sub-court was 8:00 a.m. with game time at 3:30 p.m.

Seo reported what the Korean coach regarded as a “nonsensical situation” where Korea faces India on September 17 at 1:30 p.m. but have no training time before the game. The practice time allotted to them was 8:00 p.m. which is about five hours after the game against India ends.

In an effort to resolve their problems the Koreans arranged for private facilities to practice but the gym is very far from their hotel.

In another questionable practice by the hosts, correspondent Seo pointed out that the FIBA referees are staying in the same hotel with the Chinese players which resulted in complaints by both Korea and defending champions Iran. :eek:

So this news isn't enough? Whew okay.

Nerraw0384
09-16-2011, 02:08 AM
China is China ,Fiba-Asia is Fiba-Asia , you could blame if we didn't do 100% as a host, but stop slandering China in this case.

Do you know how to read the news? Have you read the news in Korea regarding complaints of their coach?

I hope you start reading buddy. ;)

Nerraw0384
09-16-2011, 02:10 AM

Oh. If I may add. How come China is hosting the event again? Arent there any nation in Asia that can host the event?

Oh well, I should course this directly to FIBA Asia and not to you. Im just curious.

And you said it, China is China. China is not FIBA Asia or Asia as a continent. ;)

erektus
09-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Bro, all nations have good eggs and bad eggs, and China & the Philippines are no exception. You seem like a good egg yourself, albeit emotional. And yes, maybe I am bad -- an agent provocateur, if you will.

I have been living in China for over a decade and have probably been in more Chinese cities than you. Some of my best friends are Chinese. Oh, have I mentioned that I'm part Chinese myself? And that part of me knows that Chinese supremacist (now in the guise of ultra-nationalism) tendencies are systemic. I was taking issue with the system, not individuals.

Anyway, back to basketball. May the best team win.

pcder
09-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Oh. If I may add. How come China is hosting the event again? Arent there any nation in Asia that can host the event?

Oh well, I should course this directly to FIBA Asia and not to you. Im just curious.

And you said it, China is China. China is not FIBA Asia or Asia as a continent. ;)

You should ask your gov or fed why they didn't want to host it ~
Host such an event would waste many money , as a Chinese , I don't like to see any such event hosted in China , but it's not my case, it's the case of gov and fed , I have no power to stop it just as I have no power to bring it to China ~

Nerraw0384
09-16-2011, 02:22 AM
Host such an event would waste many money , as a Chinese , I don't like to see any such event hosted in China , but it's not my case, it's the case of gov and fed , I have no power to stop it just as I have no power to bring it to China ~

Point taken.

I believe our Fed bid but got lost.
We don't have enough funds yet, but maybe in the future. Que sera, sera.
Anyway, we're just frustrated man.
May the best team win later. ;)

potz05
09-16-2011, 02:23 AM

GOVERNMENT? seriously? I thought no government shall be involved in FIBA? BTW, Government is different from a Federation.

And FYI, we tried to no avail.

Plus the fact that it was Lebanon who were supposed to host this tourney but with the turn of events it went to China which I haven't really seen any news how or what's the reason for the shifting of hosts.

Nerraw0384
09-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I see why only filipinos are making rumors~
filipinos are all like you ?!

HUh?

What do you mean by that?

Are you saying we are all spreading rumors?

I don't know, man. I don't know what to say, man.

Well, all Filipinos are like me, because I am a Filipino. Are you referring to attitude? That I can't answer though.

Anyway. Good Luck! ;)

pcder
09-16-2011, 02:30 AM
GOVERNMENT? seriously? I thought no government shall be involved in FIBA? BTW, Government is different from a Federation.

And FYI, we tried to no avail.

Plus the fact that it was Lebanon who were supposed to host this tourney but with the turn of events it went to China which I haven't really seen any news how or what's the reason for the shifting of hosts.

when Lebanon was supposed to host, not only China ask to host it , it's an auction for all cities , and WuHan win it finally , that's all~

ZIMATAR
09-16-2011, 02:42 AM
when Lebanon was supposed to host, not only China ask to host it , it's an auction for all cities , and WuHan win it finally , that's all~

With the help also of China's BBF Hagop...:D

PacificRims
09-16-2011, 02:45 AM

Lebanon won the "auction", I really don't know how China got the hosting rights from the former. I hope the next one won't be in China, definitely.

pcder
09-16-2011, 02:48 AM
With the help also of China's BBF Hagop...:D

You are making another rumors without any evidence ~

pcder
09-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Lebanon won the "auction", I really don't know how China got the hosting rights from the former. I hope the next one won't be in China, definitely.

Yes , they won first , but as the newes reported , they wouldn't prepare as what they promise when "auction" ~ so the auction was cancelled~
Just as a basketball fan,I don't know the detail , everything I said is just by what I read from the thread here or the news from internet~ if you konw more , I'm glad to hear from you~ :)

PacificRims
09-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Yes , they won first , but as the newes reported , they wouldn't prepare as what they promise when "auction" ~ so the auction was cancelled~
Just as a basketball fan,I don't know the detail , everything I said is just by what I read from the thread here or the news from internet~ if you konw more , I'm glad to hear from you~ :)

I also don't know, but I hope that there would be a new rule for hosting FIBA events, probably a max number of times a country can host in a decade. I hope other countries would have an equal chance to host important events like this in the future.

zuma169
09-16-2011, 03:02 AM
to my chinese neighbors here..

do you remember a country hosting 2 consecutive major FIBA competitions??? and i mean the whole world from FIBA Americas, Europe, Africa and yes even Oceania.. common tell me if this happened before???

i would understand if there are no takers and china was the willing country to host.. no questions asked there..

but to the chinese people.. did you know that MANILA PHILIPPINES pushed HEAVEN and EARTH and even the MOON to host this year's edition of the FIBA Asia Championships??? we were really hell bent to host it, funds were already in place, the venues were already in place and accommodations are already done.. and all of a sudden it was given to Wuhan Hubei??? now tell me what transpired there???

remember.. 2 consecutive stagings.. hmmm...

pcder
09-16-2011, 03:13 AM
to my chinese neighbors here..

do you remember a country hosting 2 consecutive major FIBA competitions??? and i mean the whole world from FIBA Americas, Europe, Africa and yes even Oceania.. common tell me if this happened before???

i would understand if there are no takers and china was the willing country to host.. no questions asked there..

but to the chinese people.. did you know that MANILA PHILIPPINES pushed HEAVEN and EARTH and even the MOON to host this year's edition of the FIBA Asia Championships??? we were really hell bent to host it, funds were already in place, the venues were already in place and accommodations are already done.. and all of a sudden it was given to Wuhan Hubei??? now tell me what transpired there???

remember.. 2 consecutive stagings.. hmmm...
As I said ,I don't know the detail . But I know the power to decide who host the event is belong to the FIBA-ASIA , not China ~

ZIMATAR
09-16-2011, 03:19 AM
It's FIBA-China now not FIBA-ASIA...

See you in 2013 FIBA-ASIA in China!!!

ros
09-16-2011, 03:36 AM
As I said ,I don't know the detail . But I know the power to decide who host the event is belong to the FIBA-ASIA , not China ~

Yes it's FIBA-Asia decision but is heavily influenced by China. Even Lebanese wondered why suddenly they dropped the hosting, some are insinuating that Hagop had a hand with this, and China got it without even competing. It looked like it was handed to them even though the Philippines were ready to host the event.

ZIMATAR
09-16-2011, 03:54 AM
When china acquired Macau from Portugal they also inherited the Macau's Cooking Technique...:D

rasheim23
09-16-2011, 03:57 AM
yea new account on twitter @teamfeets

rasheim23
09-16-2011, 03:57 AM
What up Rash? New account?

yes this is my new twitter @teamfeets follow me

b3lowzro
09-16-2011, 04:05 AM

welcome to Interbasket sir Wright :D

CKR13
09-16-2011, 04:06 AM

Got it.

F-15Eagle
09-16-2011, 04:18 AM
The power of macau cooking technique:D im not sure though if the northerners have the same technique. Weve seen it in taiwan, hk and macau <they're southerners:p>

CKR13
09-16-2011, 04:22 AM
The power of macau cooking technique:D im not sure though if the northerners have the same technique. Weve seen it in taiwan, hk and macau <they're southerners:p>

If you can't talk of anything sensible or anything related to the thread, do us all a favor and never post again.

Check Forum Rules.

F-15Eagle
09-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Good news the next fiba asia championship will be held outside china after all china's major cities have hosted it in successive turns:D

Cool_Enz
09-16-2011, 04:29 AM
This eligibility issue has overshadowed the Philippines' lopsided victory over the United Arab Emirates last night. And we must not forget that we are playing the People's Republic of China tonight (20:00 local time).

I'm looking forward to this game as this is the first time that Smart Gilas will take on a full-strength Chinese squad (not its team B that we beat twice at the 2007 FIBA Asia tourney).

The last time these two countries met in an international tournament was at the 2002 Busan Asian Games with China annihilating the national squad 91-52. No Filipino player tallied in double digits with Dennis Espino emerging as our top scorer with seven points. Asi Taulava is the only remnant of that RP squad that is still active in the international level.

Of course, the Chinese squad that clobbered us in Busan is now a different team. Players like Hu Weidong and Liu Yudong have long retired and the present Chinese team is a mixture of youngsters and veterans. The "Walking Great Wall," however, is still formidable with NBA veterans Yi Jianlian, Wang Zhizhi and Sun Yue spearheading the team's offense. Familiar names like Luo Wei and Zhu Fangyu are still around along with Li Yi, a member of the Chinese B team that the Philippines beat twice at the 2007 FIBA Asia Championship. :socool:

F-15Eagle
09-16-2011, 04:29 AM
If you can't talk of anything sensible or anything related to the thread, do us all a favor and never post again.

Check Forum Rules.

:D Sure whatever

gary81
09-16-2011, 04:31 AM
HEY,man just be easy

it is really disappointed to Lebanese, I agree with it .

but maybe it is just a business to fiba-asia, just like if you can sell one thing for 10 dollars, why do you sell it foy 5 ? althougt I do not think it is right ,maybe it is the fact.

as to the korean's complains? oh ,come on ,it make me think of fifa's 2002 world cup , ask Italians or Spaniards even Portuguese......koerans always complain unless all things go on by their way.

CKR13
09-16-2011, 04:32 AM
:D Sure whatever

The place for trolling is here (http://forums.interbasket.net/member.php?u=43717).

Have a nice day over there.

ZIMATAR
09-16-2011, 04:45 AM
China still play a very predictable game. Their guards are very slow compare to other teams. With Lutz and Lassiter I think they will taste their first defeat.

ilnewgnay
09-16-2011, 04:54 AM
Yes it's FIBA-Asia decision but is heavily influenced by China. Even Lebanese wondered why suddenly they dropped the hosting, some are insinuating that Hagop had a hand with this, and China got it without even competing. It looked like it was handed to them even though the Philippines were ready to host the event.

Do you have the detailed information how China "go it without even compting"? Why do some Filipinos like to blame China when they are just "guessing something"?

I knew that in Sep 2010, after the host position of Lebanon was cancelled, FIBA sent formal letters to every Asian countries for asking if any city would be willing to host the Championships 2011. I am very sure that Philippine received the letter as well. Did your medias report your basketball association applied the hosting desire to FIBA Asia?

In China, the application process was transparent. Our basketball association asked whethere there was any city would like to host the event after receiving the letter. Then two cities, Wu Han and Su Zhou submitted the applications and did the preparation.

Has any of your cities raised application? Has your city did an excellent preparation work for the hosting? Did your media report the result of the valuation on your city's preparation work for the hosting by FIBA Asia?

If the answers are "no", that means you guys quited by yourselves. Why do you want to blame others?

toikins
09-16-2011, 05:11 AM
oh c'mon fellow pinoys...
Dont result to childish debates..
there is something fishy but we dont hold proof of our claims.

forumers from other countries might've been feeling that we are all idiots..
They might be hating us already.
Be patient with their ignorance and teeny weeny brains.
Anyone with 2 citizenships at birth, may choose anytime what country to play for.
The passport thing is for those who were not citizens of the country and should acquire it before the age of 16.
They cant understand that Marcio and Lutz were Filipino citizens already by birth.
Be patient if they cant understand a simple thing.
And as like what a pinoy forumer said in other forum, this is not about us wanting to win,regardless if its doable or not, with both players but for the justice for them as their right to play was taken away from them.

And as for the unfairness in hosting, there might be, but again we hold no proof.
But please..China is the host, i cant believe this things are happening.
Its either it wasnt planned well or officials are plain dumb. Philippine team was scheduled to practice on a court side by side its opponent of that day.
without any walls to separate them atleast. This is simply a work of a careless person or a dumb imbecille official.

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 05:23 AM
First of all,

I am a Filipino rooting for SMART GILAS.

I want it to be known that not all of us here in the Philippines are as classless as some (not all) of the other guys who've been posting here.

So in the interest of sanity...

In behalf of the more educated people of my country, I apologize for some of the behavior you've been exposed to.

As for the allegations, well, I don't think CHINA itself as a country is to blame here. And neither are its loyal fans. But fact is FIBA-ASIA as a whole, including their bedfellows in some of China's representatives own basketball officials have been known to be corrupt with their dealings.

For example, 32 year old Wang Zhi Zhi is currently listed as 29 years old. This was fallout from the time they tried to insert him in their youth team decades back. It matters not now but they have to keep up the charade because of something some official who is probably not even with the organization anymore, did years back. (It does NOT affect his eligibility at all.)

FIBA Asia as an organization is rife with people looking after their own interests. Not always their country's interests at most. (Tayo din meron, guys, Look at Lito Puyat of the Philippines)

In Lassiter and Lutz's case...China had nothing to do with it. If they did, they would have gone for Douthit. It was the Lebanese official (not the Lebanon team, which is completely innocent of this)

But lest my fellow Filipinos think that is a reflection of China, let me remind you of our own officials' crap (Lito Puyat's BAP scheming!!!) All countries have corrupt sports officials. China, Philippines, Lebanon...name any country...we ALL deal with them.

So when you accuse someone of misdealing, first, have proof. Secondly, let's not be prejudiced and condemn entire races. Sports officials do NOT represent the nature of everyone in their respective countries.

And I know that at one point or another, as fans, we have all been frustrated with our respective officials. (I happen to know that the players of Lebanon and Philippines have great respect for each other. Officials...well...that's another story.)

The Philippines is not exempt from such politics. Even internally. The reason our ranking is so low these days is because of our own crap. (Did you know that we once sent a Basketball team made up of fringe players to the ABC because they were the only group supporting our BAP president? That team was even beaten by a barangay (urban neighborhood zone) team made up of retired actors and politicians. More shenanigans led to the country being suspended twice this past decade. Hence the low ranking. But we're back on track.

And for a while, our officials stupidly thought the Asian Games was more important than the ABC (later FIBA ASIA.) So we never sent good teams until 2007 and 2009.

Now, on to the case of Lutz and Lassiter. Our Constitution recognizes that anyone born to at least ONE Filipino parent is granted Filipino citizenship by birth. Hence, Lutz and Lassiter are FILIPINOS. We all have to understand that different countries have different ways of recognizing citizenship. (For example, did you know that by US law, if you are born in an airplane, you automatically acquire the citizenship of whatever country's airspace the plane is in?)

Back to China: They obviously have a powerful team. The last time we beat them was in 1986, which was also the LAST time Philippines had a long term basketball program. Since then, most of the teams sent to the FIBA games were put together just months before the tournament.

China is rightfully favored to win over the Philippines even with Lassiter and Lutz.

But be aware, my friends in China (I am, by the way, Filipino-Chinese). This version of the Philippines has played well against the top teams of Asia in recent years. We beat Iran, Jordan, Qatar...and Lebanon's winning margin over the Philippines these past few years has been so small and could have gone either way. Even Fadi El Khatib respects the team's performance.

However, we have NOT yet faced China. So it is unchartered territory for this squad. Even our best PBA players struggled against China because they give us the MOST match up problems.

But hey, we will not go down without a fight. While the chemistry may have been disrupted by the loss of two key players, we might surprise you!

See you at 8pm!

And hey everyone! Peace!
It's a game, it's supposed to be fun!

Romia
09-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Hey,my Philipino budy,do u really think the SmartGilas can beat China NT with the two banned player at Chinese home court?
okay,be modest and humble and even frankly ,even the two banned players were playing around with the SM,I really dont think it would beat China NT

F-15Eagle
09-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Hey,my Philipino budy,do u really think the SmartGilas can beat China NT with the two banned player at Chinese home court?
okay,be modest and humble and even frankly ,even the two banned players were playing around with the SM,I really dont think it would beat China NT

Well i might have to agree with you there..China's NT will be hard to beat unless the Philippine team would have a number of 7 feet tall centers and 6-8 to 6-10 forwards in the near future <which is quite improbable>...
The only unfortunate thing here is that the 2 players are denied their rights to play. They are Filipinos by birth owing to their Filipina mother
FIBA's contention that they had received their philippine passport after 16 is immaterial as they are not naturalized but filipinos with dual citizenship
One thing's not clear whether FIBA officials are remiss on their duties or it is the basketball federation of Philippines who failed to submit the necessary documents

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 05:46 AM

Well, like I said, you guys have the more dominant team and are favored and expected to win. (And you're right, you have home court advantage) But our team won't give up easily. So we will give you a good challenge. And we will always try our best to win no matter who we face! So don't count us out just yet. :)

pcder
09-16-2011, 05:54 AM
I hope to see CHN vs PHI with full line-up ~

toikins
09-16-2011, 06:08 AM

whoever wins, there will be a good game for sure as both are competitive.

ZIMATAR
09-16-2011, 06:12 AM
First of all,

I am a Filipino rooting for SMART GILAS.

I want it to be known that not all of us here in the Philippines are as classless as some (not all) of the other guys who've been posting here.

So in the interest of sanity...

In behalf of the more educated people of my country, I apologize for some of the behavior you've been exposed to.

As for the allegations, well, I don't think CHINA itself as a country is to blame here. And neither are its loyal fans. But fact is FIBA-ASIA as a whole, including their bedfellows in some of China's representatives own basketball officials have been known to be corrupt with their dealings.

For example, 32 year old Wang Zhi Zhi is currently listed as 29 years old. This was fallout from the time they tried to insert him in their youth team decades back. It matters not now but they have to keep up the charade because of something some official who is probably not even with the organization anymore, did years back. (It does NOT affect his eligibility at all.)

FIBA Asia as an organization is rife with people looking after their own interests. Not always their country's interests at most. (Tayo din meron, guys, Look at Lito Puyat of the Philippines)

In Lassiter and Lutz's case...China had nothing to do with it. If they did, they would have gone for Douthit. It was the Lebanese official (not the Lebanon team, which is completely innocent of this)

But lest my fellow Filipinos think that is a reflection of China, let me remind you of our own officials' crap (Lito Puyat's BAP scheming!!!) All countries have corrupt sports officials. China, Philippines, Lebanon...name any country...we ALL deal with them.

So when you accuse someone of misdealing, first, have proof. Secondly, let's not be prejudiced and condemn entire races. Sports officials do NOT represent the nature of everyone in their respective countries.

And I know that at one point or another, as fans, we have all been frustrated with our respective officials. (I happen to know that the players of Lebanon and Philippines have great respect for each other. Officials...well...that's another story.)

The Philippines is not exempt from such politics. Even internally. The reason our ranking is so low these days is because of our own crap. (Did you know that we once sent a Basketball team made up of fringe players to the ABC because they were the only group supporting our BAP president? That team was even beaten by a barangay (urban neighborhood zone) team made up of retired actors and politicians. More shenanigans led to the country being suspended twice this past decade. Hence the low ranking. But we're back on track.

And for a while, our officials stupidly thought the Asian Games was more important than the ABC (later FIBA ASIA.) So we never sent good teams until 2007 and 2009.

Now, on to the case of Lutz and Lassiter. Our Constitution recognizes that anyone born to at least ONE Filipino parent is granted Filipino citizenship by birth. Hence, Lutz and Lassiter are FILIPINOS. We all have to understand that different countries have different ways of recognizing citizenship. (For example, did you know that by US law, if you are born in an airplane, you automatically acquire the citizenship of whatever country's airspace the plane is in?)

Back to China: They obviously have a powerful team. The last time we beat them was in 1986, which was also the LAST time Philippines had a long term basketball program. Since then, most of the teams sent to the FIBA games were put together just months before the tournament.

China is rightfully favored to win over the Philippines even with Lassiter and Lutz.

But be aware, my friends in China (I am, by the way, Filipino-Chinese). This version of the Philippines has played well against the top teams of Asia in recent years. We beat Iran, Jordan, Qatar...and Lebanon's winning margin over the Philippines these past few years has been so small and could have gone either way. Even Fadi El Khatib respects the team's performance.

However, we have NOT yet faced China. So it is unchartered territory for this squad. Even our best PBA players struggled against China because they give us the MOST match up problems.

But hey, we will not go down without a fight. While the chemistry may have been disrupted by the loss of two key players, we might surprise you!

See you at 8pm!

And hey everyone! Peace!
It's a game, it's supposed to be fun!

Are you Graham Lim? It's is not fun if some ruling is unfair....read all post in Pinoy basket forum to know more about true pinoy's feeling....

ZIMATAR
09-16-2011, 06:12 AM

We too sir!

donspark47
09-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Lassiter and Lutz had actually played as Filipinos like in the 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games, the 2010 Stankovic Cup in Lebanon, the Southeast Asian Basketball Association Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia a few months back and several FIBA-Asia Champions Cups making the Lebanon protest baseless and a clear case of harassment..:eek::eek::eek:

donspark47
09-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Lutz's mother Luzviminda is a Filipina and also Lassiter's mother Alexandria Eshabarr, whose father traces his roots to Ilocos Sur. Both have played in other FIBA-sanctioned tournaments that is why the national team coaching staff are stunned on the FIBA-Asia decision.

RedMetal
09-16-2011, 07:05 AM
snowbadua snow badua
FMR FIBA ASIA SEC GEN MOYING MARTELINO: Pinapa-authenticate na namin sa DFA yung sulat na ipapadala sa FIBA sa GENEVA.:)

martin79
09-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi everybody! Does anybody know the situation about Qatar team? What about today's Qatar line-up in match with Iran? Have Qatar already submitted papers proving players compliance with eligibility requirements?

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Are you Graham Lim? It's is not fun if some ruling is unfair....read all post in Pinoy basket forum to know more about true pinoy's feeling....

Believe me, I am very angry with the ruling. But my point is don't blame the entire country. That's my whole point. Some of the guys here are carelessly commenting and insulting entire races.

(and yes, some of the guys from other countries are generalizing us as well but two wrongs don't make a right)

In today's age...we should learn to distinguish between one person and one country and one race.

If one American does something bad to you, don't hate ALL of America. Just the one guy. If one Chinese guy cheats you, why hate ALL of China? Maybe just the one person who cheats you. Otherwise, it would be unfair to all the other good Americans and Chinese who did nothing bad.

Eh tayo naman, pag ginaganyan...ang ninipis din ng balat natin. We are equally hurt when they do the same thing to us and cry foul.

Remember when the bus tragedy happened in Quirino last year? It was unfair for some of the Hong Kong nationals to take out their anger on ALL Filipinos. There were indeed Filipinos to blame but not all of us.

For example, I like and respect the Lebanon team (these are the guys who in the past have praised Alapag, Barroca and Baracael) but I also hate that shortsighted official who refused to acknowledge our own Constitution. (As in, kung makita ko yan sa court, babalyahin ko yan.)

Or I despise Floyd Mayweather because of his stupid, baseless accusations and racial slurs against us but that doesn't mean I should start bashing all Americans because of him.

I think Lebanon fans are as passionate as Filipino, Brazilian and Greek fans and I KNOW they had nothing to do with it.

Similarly, why hate on other countries' fans and players? It's the officials who screwed up (and screwed us) which I specified in my post...(please read it carefully) so all I'm saying is direct your anger at the right person and not be racially insensitive.

It's DEFINITELY okay to feel angry and voice our concerns at the unfair ruling. But some of us think that feeling hurt gives us the right to just foam at the mouth like rabid dogs and lash out at everyone even when they had nothing to do with it. That action can never be justified.

A true Pinoy knows how to carry himself with dignity even in the face of adversity. Unabashed and unfounded hatred is just a knee-jerk reaction, one unbecoming of a Filipino.

And no, I am not Graham Lim. I'm not a fan of the guy either.

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 07:16 AM
snowbadua snow badua
FMR FIBA ASIA SEC GEN MOYING MARTELINO: Pinapa-authenticate na namin sa DFA yung sulat na ipapadala sa FIBA sa GENEVA.:)

Great news! Please hurry!!!! :-)

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi everybody! Does anybody know the situation about Qatar team? What about today's Qatar line-up in match with Iran? Have Qatar already submitted papers proving players compliance with eligibility requirements?

No news but the Daily Star (Lebanon news), reported that Qatar's coach said they plan to the same thing again in protest of the ruling. (In case you missed it, Qatar's players deliberately fouled out of the game because of the treatment they got from FIBA-ASIA)

It is rather dubious that some of these officials are choosing to do this now when almost ALL of the players on all the teams victimized by this witch hunt had played in several FIBA sanctioned events the past couple of years.

martin79
09-16-2011, 07:32 AM
No news but the Daily Star (Lebanon news), reported that Qatar's coach said they plan to the same thing again in protest of the ruling. (In case you missed it, Qatar's players deliberately fouled out of the game because of the treatment they got from FIBA-ASIA)

It is rather dubious that some of these officials are choosing to do this now when almost ALL of the players on all the teams victimized by this witch hunt had played in several FIBA sanctioned events the past couple of years.

thanks

AlYuson
09-16-2011, 07:37 AM

However, we have NOT yet faced China. So it is unchartered territory for this squad. *Even our best PBA players struggled against China because they give us the MOST match up problems.

See you at 8pm!

Its not about how many posts have been made by a forumer but its the quality and substance of his opinion that matters well.

* Yes mate you are very very correct. Thats a traditional headache of team philippines playing against china because of match up problem..how to guard and score against the taller and bigger chinese ;)

Mojado
09-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Interbasket Asia Section became a Pinoy blaming site lately. Blame Lebanon, blame China, blame FIBA, blame anyone...and if both players stay ineligible, then you have an excuse why you lost and did not win the championship. So I hope instantly, that Lassiter and Lutz, will be playing soon, as I am getting tired of all the blah blah here by some of the posters. :mad:

budz17
09-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Interbasket Asia Section became a Pinoy blaming site lately. Blame Lebanon, blame China, blame FIBA, blame anyone...and if both players stay ineligible, then you have an excuse why you lost and did not win the championship. So I hope instantly, that Lassiter and Lutz, will be playing soon, as I am getting tired of all the blah blah here by some of the posters. :mad:

you don't like what we post, don't read it then:mad:

durden_tyler
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM

To an extent, i agree with you.

We are just pissed with the current turn of events. But not all Filipino fans will use it as an excuse because as you imply there are indeed other factors that will contribute to whatever result this campaign has.

AlYuson
09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Sadly, thats the filipino traits..we have blaming and fingerpointing mentality.This is out of topic but look at recently concluded Miss Universe 2011 in Brazil when our bet Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup just bagged 3rd runner up (4th place), many filipinos had to find a scapegoat..blaming filipina judge Lea Salonga and even throwing racist remarks on Miss Angola for winning the title. We filipinos are like that even during election time, there's no such thing as winners but cheaters. Could not accept the fact that we lose, thats all.

AlYuson
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
To an extent, i agree with you.

We are just pissed with the current turn of events. But not all Filipino fans will use it as an excuse because as you imply there are indeed other factors that will contribute to whatever result this campaign has.

It shows we filipinos have the numbers to complain in interbasket forum :D

interxavierxxx
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Sadly, thats the filipino traits..we have blaming and fingerpointing mentality.This is out of topic but look at recently concluded Miss Universe 2011 in Brazil when our bet Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup just bagged 3rd runner up (4th place), many filipinos had to find a scapegoat..blaming filipina judge Lea Salonga and even throwing racist remarks on Miss Angola for winning the title. We filipinos are like that even during election time, there's no such thing as winners but cheaters. Could not accept the fact that we lose, thats all.

In short, Filipinos are generally SORE losers. A shameful trait.

Mojado
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
you don't like what we post, don't read it then:mad:

I dont like what certain Pinas-based posters do: They post their crap simply everywhere, even in sections that have nothing to do.

I used to be siding with the country, since I got to know some of your basketball fed-heads who are pretty cool guys, but lately, if there is something wrong with your NT and you feel mistreated, you are fingerpointing on anyone that is mentioned by your biased media...only a few fans do really think before posting here, others just copying stuff that is on twitter or elsewhere to tell the "truth" about the case. The reality is, that the two players were born in the U.S. and may got their Philipino-brith certificates and passports after turning 16 or even 18. They are Pinoy to me, but maybe not to FIBA if they enforce their rules the way they want. It's a typical case, that should have been discussed by FIBA prior to the games...not in between. That's a mess now.

But still, I cant stand this whole issue being posted all over this and other threads...as it repeats. Most posters post the same crap simultaneously in four different threads!:mad:

BTW: Even your Azkals team did well after your German coach did a heck of a job. But what did your media do? Blame him for all of his good work...smh

budz17
09-16-2011, 09:28 AM
I dont like what certain Pinas-based posters do: They post their crap siply everywhere, even in sections that have nothing to do.
I used to be siding with the country, since I got to know some of your basketball fed-heads who are pretty cool guys, but lately, if there is something wrong with your NT and you feel mistreated, you are fingerpointing on anyone that is mentioned by your biased media...only a few fans do really think before posting here, others just copying stuff that is on twitter or elsewhere to tell the "truth" about the case. The reality is, that the two players were born in the U.S. and may got their Philipino-brith certificates and passports after turning 16 or even 18. They are Pinoy to me, but maybe not to FIBA if they enforce their rules the way they want. It's a typical case, that should have been discussed by FIBA prior to the games...not in between. That's a mess now.

But still, I cant stand this whole issue being posted all over this and other threads...as it repeats. Most posters post the same crap simultaneously in four different threads!:mad:

agree, some are really out of place.

but don't generalize

Mojado
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM
agree, some are really out of place.

but don't generalize

I always used the simple word "some" ;)

frenzfries
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

Then i apologize on behalf of my countrymen for the childish posts that they made.:)

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Then i apologize on behalf of my countrymen for the childish posts that they made.:)

Likewise. Actually, I already began my first post with a similar apology and a call to stop all the childish spouting of venom.

macan77
09-16-2011, 10:46 AM

shut up man, don't apologize for me or other people..your pathetic..posters here don't need you apologizing for them..let us do that if we feel we offended others..

ilnewgnay
09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
News said that Lutz and Lassiter had got the permit to join in the game against China tonight. This is good news for both Filipinos and Chinese. Hope there would be no more excuse after the game.

jesronne
09-16-2011, 10:47 AM
News said that Lutz and Lassiter had got the permit to join in the game against China tonight. This is good news for both Filipinos and Chinese. Hope there would be no more excuse after the game.

is that true?

macan77
09-16-2011, 10:48 AM

is this confirmed mate..we are not fighting for their inclusion to say that we would win easy against you..we are fighting for them to play and other filipinos like them to play in the future..

ilnewgnay
09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
is that true?

It was from CCTV, the Chinese national TV.

macan77
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM

hope it is true..anyway, your team is still favored to win even if the two plays..good luck to both our team..may the best team win..all pinoy posters will agree with me that your team is the pride of asia..no wonder some of us are jealous..but today is another day, and hopefully we can achieve what we want..not necessarily win over you..;)

Eaglefan97
09-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

And hey, we still recognize that China is by far the more dominating team, but now we will put up a better fight. Check the poll in the other threads. We will all be cheering for an upset, but we Filipinos know our basketball and we all agree China is the superior team. (We won't give up easily though! See you at 8pm!)

At least the players who worked so hard these past couple of years will get the chance to prove all expectations wrong. Even if we lose, we'd rather do it fighting and on the court.

jesronne
09-16-2011, 11:32 AM
guys ive been following the updates on twitter and there is still no word regarding lassiter and lutz..

interxavierxxx
09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
guys ive been following the updates on twitter and there is still no word regarding lassiter and lutz..

Same. No word from either Charles Tiu or Noli Eala. If they were cleared to play, then all hell (tweets) should break lose in twitter.

weward
09-16-2011, 11:34 AM

hmmmm does this kind of progress really deserve to be in the national tv news? :D

but anyway thanks for the info

;)

hope we give a good fight!

ilnewgnay
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
It was confirmed that Marcio Lassiter and Christopher Lutz still could not play the game against China. This news also was also from CCTV. Sorry for the previous news if it caused any confusion.

macan77
09-16-2011, 12:57 PM
It was confirmed that Marcio Lassiter and Christopher Lutz still could not play the game against China. This news also was also from CCTV. Sorry for the previous news if it caused any confusion.

its alright..we would know anyway if they were allowed cuz the twitter would be flooded with news..by the way, i think your team would win this one easily..height advantage was really glaring..congrats..

b3lowzro
09-16-2011, 01:55 PM

well looks like this is a "kuryente" post then :) never saw Marcio or Chris L. playing against China tonight.

Whats the result between the UAE & Bahrain joust?