Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Olympics/1954WC

Hi, I'm a new user.

I have two questions. Actually 1. Does anyone have stats for the Philippine NT at the 1936 Olympics and the 1954 World Championships? I know the rosters, but I need stats or boxscores.

Thank you!
    My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
    1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
    1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
    1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
    1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
    1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
    1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
    1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

wow...that's a long time ago man, but try searching on these sites

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/...1/philbas.html

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp...asketball_team

there are infos there, hope you'll find what you're looking for.
    ROCK ON PHILIPPINES!

Comment

Thank you very much.
      Last edited by usausa; 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM.
      My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
      1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
      1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
      1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
      1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
      1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
      1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
      1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Sports Hall of Fame: RP 1954 basketball team one for the ages
        April 29, 2010 7:51 pm
        MANILA, April 29 — The 1954 Philippine basketball team is one concrete proof experience could be blended with youth.

With co-captains Caloy Loyzaga and Lauro Mumar bannering the six Olympians and as many outstanding players from the defunct Manila Industrial and Commercial Athletic Association (MICAA) and collegiate leagues, the squad wound up third in the World Championship in Rio de Janeiro.

It remains as the highest finish ever by any Asian team in the tournament and a feat which could never be reprised by any RP cage team in the foreseeable future.

For the team’s historic achievement it will be inducted, along with Gabriel “Flash” Elorde, Ceferino Garcia, Francisco “Pancho Villa” Guilledo, father-and-son Jose “Cely” and Anthony Villanueva, Teofilo Yldefonso, Simeon Toribio and Miguel White, into the Philippine Sports Hall of Fame on May 5 at the Maynilad Hall of the Manila Hotel.

Also to be honored on his own is Loyzaga, who as a player was a fixture in any RP Team from 1951 up to 1963 and as coach from 1967 to 1968.

He was a Mythical Selection member in the 1954 Worlds, as well as in the inaugural 1960 Asian Championship, along with Most Valuable Player Carlos Badion.

At 6-foot-3 among the tallest in his heydays, the man nicknamed “The Great Difference” by the late radio announcer Willie Hernandez also won championships with the unbeatable RP Teams in the 1951, 1954, 1958 and 1962 Asian Games, as well as with those in the 1960 and 1963 Asian championships.

After hanging up his jerseys in 1964, Loyzaga called the shots for the gold-winning team in the 1967 Asian tilt and the national squad for the 1968 Mexico Olympics.

It was in 1954 that Loyzaga, along with fellow 1952 Helsinki Olympians Mariano Tolentino, Florentino Bautista, Antonio Genato and Pons Saldaña, and 1948 London campaigner Mumar had their grandest moment.

With the legendary Herr Silva at the helm and Rafael Barredo (San Miguel-San Beda College), Benjamin Francisco (Philippine Airlines), Francisco Rabat (Ateneo), Bayani Amador (Far Eastern University), Ramon Manulat and Nap Flores (University of Santo Tomas) as reinforcements, the Filipinos came in as underdogs.

Francis Wilson and Fred Zagarbarria were the alternates in the team that had an average age of 23 years and about 6 feet in height, elves when compared to the Americans, Canadians, French and the hosts.

Yet stun the field the Filipinos did as they beat Paraguay, Israel, Canada, France, Uruguay and Formosa, while losing only to eventual champion US and runnerup Brazil (once in group play and another in the final eight).

Loyzaga emerged with a 16.8 points per game average, within the top three, thus his slot in the Mythical Selection.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information