Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you think was the "Golden Era" of basketball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you think was the "Golden Era" of basketball?

When do you think was basketball's "Golden Era"? A question that never has been asked due to its intense level of analysis needed inorder to provide that justifiable evaluation. However, if one created a criteria to determine so that an evaluation could be provided then possibly a justifiable outcome can occur.
    Basically, the era when the individual talent level rose exponentially due to the quality level of coaching that was provided and the immense support from management in conjunction with the monetary support from the owners. What is more, the era needs to embody an increase in participation of basketball and an increase in average crowd attendance due to the high level of media coverage.

So keep in mind these aspects:

Individual talent:
    Quality of the squad:
    Coach staff:
    Management:
    Monetary funding:
    Increase in participation of basketball:
    Increase in average crowd attendance:
    Increase in media coverage:

Is there any other aspects you believe is critical in order to determine which era were the "Golden Years" of basketball?

For me this "Golden Era" encompasses two decades and I think you guys would know which decades I am talking about. Though older citizens like Foxsports analyst Charlie Rosen would think other wise since he has watched and lived through from the 60's onwards. However, I believe my answer is not biased because one of those decades I was just born mid way through.

My answer: 80s to the 90s.

Basically, the years when Magic and Larry (my main man) arrived onto the NBA scene and when Jordan left in 1998 (after beating up my Knicks for the who bloody decade).

One could argue that the 1970s would be up there to challenge my answer because after all in that decade not one team won back to back championships.
    However, during the 80s to the 90s in terms of marketing our sport on a global scale nothing beats this era especially following the incredible success of the Dream Team.
    In addition, when you compare the monetary funding of the 70s vs the combine 80s & 90s the gap is increadible.

However, my answer does combine two decades hence, if I was forced to choose between the two then I would definitely say the 1980s.

In Australia, our "Golden Era" of basketball was definitely the 1990s where we fell in love with the game that we even showed on Prime Time FREE TV the Domestic League Finals. Nowadays you hardly or rarely you see basketball on FREE TV.

Second question would be when was your country's "Golden Era" of basketball?
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

I think we are living the golden era of basketball. Never before so many countries had so many talented players. It has unthinkable some years ago to see Argentina compete for gold, for instance. And that generates media attention in those countries and attracts funding and more and more fans.
    Basketball has become actually global in every aspect I believe.

Portugal's golden era of basketball was in the early 90s, when Benfica was able to face Europe's top teams and actually have a say. Players like Jean Jacques da Conceição, Carlos Lisboa (the all-time best Portuguese player by far), Mike Plowden, José Carlos Guimarães, Steve Rocha, Pedro Miguel and others in those days made the difference. Coach Mário Palma was also a plus. I remember that in those days it was possible to hear people talking about basketball almost as they talk about football; it was surely the golden era of basketball in Portugal.
    Last edited by rikhardur; 09-01-2006, 03:11 AM.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
      I think we are living the golden era of basketball. Never before so many countries had so many talented players. It has unthinkable some years ago to see Argentina compete for gold, for instance. And that generates media attention in those countries and attracts funding and more and more fans.
      Basketball has become actually global in every aspect I believe.
      I agree, but I think maybe it's more appropriate to call it a golden "age" because I think we are seeing a real sea change with all the international teams and the NBA and FIBA spending significant monies to expand into more countries, more developmental leagues starting, more college-level championships going on in the U.S. - it is the new global nature of basketball that may go on a significantly longer time than the Magic-to-Michael era.

I also think LeBron James is the next MJ and that in the next 15 years his influence is going to push out some serious boundaries in basketball. There will be a return to true team play and it will get very exciting. I think we are already seeing it turn the NBA around and you have owners in the U.S. like Mark Cuban who are really doing all they can to build fan loyalty to a fever pitch . . . As more countries have the money to develop their fanbase it could get crazy.
      Michelle Tackabery
      Tackabery Chronicle
      Durham, NC, USA

Comment

I say early 90's to mid-late 90's...I know that in '89 it still wasnt getting the coverage it deserved. 90's came our beloved ESPN SportsCenter with more bball and basketball apparell grew even more. Plus, the NBA was actually in touch with the rest of the world. NBA made bball grow because it combined the league with music and style. It was appealing to more places. I believe it hasn't fallen off since then too much, but then again it hasn't been that strong. Bball games aren't as popular as they used to be should tell you something as well.
        "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

80s-era with real basketball players-Larry Bird, Magic, Kareem, Moses, Dr. J, JoeD, Tomas, McHale etc not with "superstars" chocking 40 times per game like Jordon, Barkley who cant defend a chair. Or what about the 2000+- Fatile O'Neal, Kobe and all-hype-Caramelo, Bron, Wade. Last two are nothing without NBA refs.
          Only player that I like from the 90 are Sabonis, The Dream, Malone, Duncan and Ray Allen
          47-70
          76-58

Comment

The golden era is about to come. In ten years we might have two NBA level competitions. One in the US and one in Europe. In 15 years there also might be one in China. Countries all over the world will have stars who play in these strong leagues. Media coverage will expand as we see annually. More talented players will be produced. Different styles of play will be intriduced.

The golden era is yet to come. We are moving towards it.

Jordan, Magic, Bird were all like Pele and Maradona in soccer. There is a good chance we might not see giants like that again, because top sport today is much better organised compared to the last century. Great players have less chance to show their individual talents. That goes for all popular sports.
            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

The 90s, definitely. That was the age where global marketing was established. But, as the poster above me said, with guys like Lebron and Wade, and some guys Oden that will be coming in...the may surpass Jordan's era.

As for China...well, this is the best decade they've had, they're the best they've ever been (which isn't saying much). 10 years on, they're going to have a "golden era". Their basketball infrastructure will be fully developed, and they'll finally be reaping the fruits of their labors.

Comment

The golden era has yet to come...
                That said, I love the early eighties to early nineties with Magic Johnson Larry Bird and Michael Jordan bringing the game to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by mktackabery

I also think LeBron James is the next MJ and that in the next 15 years his influence is going to push out some serious boundaries in basketball. .
                  What a joke!!!
                  Lewhatever next MJ ?
                  The end of the world must be coming

Comment

Originally posted by final countdown
                    What a joke!!!
                    Lewhatever next MJ ?
                    The end of the world must be coming
                    We shall see.
                    Michelle Tackabery
                    Tackabery Chronicle
                    Durham, NC, USA