• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBL TV ad branded racist

Ten's basketball ad branded racist

* Basketball legends outraged by advert
    * Taj McCullough jumps into couple's bed
    * "It puts black Americans in a bad light"

A CONTROVERSIAL television commercial portraying a Sydney Kings basketball player hopping into bed with a married couple has been branded as racist and in appalling taste.

The offensive ad has outraged African American legends of the game and thrown the National Basketball League into turmoil on the eve of its first game.

In the closing scenes of the new ad, which sees a ball thrown around a suburban house, Kings import Taj McCullough is seen jumping into bed between the couple before nuzzling the woman beside him.

The ad has been on high rotation on Ten's One HD but outraged several black former NBL stars at the league's recent Hall of Fame dinner held in Melbourne.

For some, it immediately evoked memories of former Sydney Kings player Bryant Matthews, who was jailed for rape when he was found in similar circumstances as an unwanted third person in bed with a couple in Sydney in 2006.

"I couldn't believe it," Boomers and Brisbane Bullets legend Leroy Loggins said.

"Why would you show a black American jumping into bed with a man's wife to promote basketball? I don't even know how someone could think up a commercial like that. You would never see any other sport in the world, that takes themselves seriously, portraying a black athlete that way."

NBL legend Darryl McDonald said: "It puts black Americans in a bad light. That commercial has nothing to do with basketball. Nobody else would present their sport this way. It's supposed to be in fun but not everyone will think the same way."

NBL Hall of Famer Cal Bruton said he had contacted Basketball Australia and Ten about the offending ad.

"They are treading a minefield of racism," Bruton said.

He said he was told by BA chairwoman Diane Smith-Gander that the promotion would be "pulled", while Ten's head of sport David White told him via email his remarks were "pertinent and duly noted".

Yet the advertisement was still on air yesterday and Ten's head of sport marketing Sam Heard said there was no chance it would be axed.

"It is designed as a fun, light-hearted promo highlighting the fact the NBL is back in people's homes, on free-to-air air television," he said.

The NBL is desperate to rebuild its image after the collapse of several teams and the return of the Kings in the highly competitive Sydney sporting market.

"It was not meant to offend," BA's Larry Sengstock said.

Too much ado about nothing imo.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

if you don't put a black man into commercial - it is racist...
    if you put black man into commercial - it is racist too...

most of new movies and tv series features black people and they always are smartest guys in the room. if a black man in the movie is not some doctor or chess genius - it will be branded as racist too

Comment

this is just ridiculous
      I wonder if those guys saying this is racist even finished elementary school

Comment

Originally posted by Test View Post

most of new movies and tv series features black people and they always are smartest guys in the room. if a black man in the movie is not some doctor or chess genius - it will be branded as racist too
        True to that!
        "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
        -El Padrino

Comment

just like the rest of the bloody backward country. i've lived in australia for nearly 20 years now and there isn't a day that i haven't witnessed racism.

in oz if you're white, anglo background, christian and worship the dumbest sports of all like cricket and aussie rules footy, preferably get drunk every day on cheap VB, and blame every other ethnic group for your problems, then you have no dramas

at the moment aussie racists are after indian immigrants, in 50-60's it was greeks, italians and yugos commonly referred to by loving adjective wogs. in 70s it was chinese and viatnamese, in 80s it was arabs, now it's indians that cop it hard.

they're not even aware when they're being racist. 99% of population starts their arguments relating to racism with good old fashioned

"i'm not racist, but..."

Comment

Originally posted by Delibasic View Post
            hey're not even aware when they're being racist. 99% of population starts their arguments relating to racism with good old fashioned

"i'm not racist, but..."
            LOL!
            but I dunnt think mostly aussies racist though, this's not something I should brag about,i ashamed even, but you know, if you ever visiting bali, you will see aussies girls, I mean alot aussies girls hanging out with local beach boys blatantly..
            Last edited by satria_muda; 09-20-2010, 02:55 PM.
            "BHINEKA TUNGGAL IKA"

Comment

It's racist because there's no Asian in the commercial. Where's Darren "Doctor" Ng?
              Last edited by sinobball; 09-20-2010, 05:32 PM.
              aim low, score high

Comment

You can always count on white people for having the same jingoistic response.

"Most"?! Really? Besides you talking out of your ass, I can't see anyone dumb enough to buy into your arguement.

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
                True to that!
                Never mind.

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                this is just ridiculous
                I wonder if those guys saying this is racist even finished elementary school
                Now since I don't think all white people are dumb (I'm not racist), I'm going to assume that most don't have such a knee-jerk reaction.

While I don't see the commerical as racist, there is of course the history of Western culture and black male sexuality. While the commercial most likey was not taking that into consideration and just making a joke, some may see the imagry of a white cuckhold with his wife and black "stud".

Again, personally I think it is much to do about nothing, but it's not like they (the people that see racism in this) - while maybe a little to sensitve - are pulling this our of their asses. However, I am by far no expert on Australian cutlure, so I can't answer from that aspect.

Comment

just like the rest of the bloody backward country. i've lived in australia for nearly 20 years now and there isn't a day that i haven't witnessed racism.

in oz if you're white, anglo background, christian and worship the dumbest sports of all like cricket and aussie rules footy, preferably get drunk every day on cheap VB, and blame every other ethnic group for your problems, then you have no dramas

at the moment aussie racists are after indian immigrants, in 50-60's it was greeks, italians and yugos commonly referred to by loving adjective wogs. in 70s it was chinese and viatnamese, in 80s it was arabs, now it's indians that cop it hard.

they're not even aware when they're being racist. 99% of population starts their arguments relating to racism with good old fashioned

"i'm not racist, but..."
                  Mate, I'm an ethnic Aussie like yourself and I can agree that it takes a while for the Aussie community to accept people.

However, I've lived overseas in Europe (Spain) and Latin America (Uruguay) and Australia by far is tame compared to those countries in my opinion.
                  -El Padrino

Comment

Mate, I'm an ethnic Aussie like yourself and I can agree that it takes a while for the Aussie community to accept people.

However, I've lived overseas in Europe (Spain) and Latin America (Uruguay) and Australia by far is tame compared to those countries in my opinion.

Absolutely agree with you. However I believe that we should not compare ourselves with countries and cultures where multiculturism and racism are widespread and ripe. We, as a country, should strive for more positive examples (Sweden springs to mind).

Saying things like - most anglo Aussies are racists but that is nothing comparing to countries such as ... is just (in my humble view) wrong. This gives biggots and racists clear avenue of attack.

Comment

The new video to promote the NBL

Check out the new video to promote the NBL!
                      -El Padrino

Comment

"i'm not racist, but..."
                        Exactly the same here across the Tasman... they would say its part of being a Kiwi and that its not racism because its part of the culture... and as you pointed out, they're not even aware that they're being racist..

I presume some of you guys are aware of the recent racist comments (through radio and TV/separate incidents) by two NZ broadcasters... some people here even gave out excuses that people outrage by those comments are being too "PC"..

Anyway, most NZers (at least those people I know) are NOT racists... I've been here for 8 years and I meet a lot of friendly Kiwis around.. and I will not hesitate to invite my overseas friends to visit New Zealand... its a wonderful country....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
                          New Zealand... its a wonderful country....
                          It's Australia but a little smaller lol
                          -El Padrino

Comment

It's Australia but a little smaller lol
                            Exactly!.. if Australia is too big for you... come to New Zealand.. of course, its much better if you visit both...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
                              Exactly!.. if Australia is too big for you... come to New Zealand.. of course, its much better if you visit both...
                              If Uruguay's "Los Teros" makes it to the Rugby World Cup, I'll be heading over there with a mate of mine who's also a huge fan of "Los Teros".

I'M PUMPED! lol
                              -El Padrino

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information