Shoes That Make You Jump Higher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes That Make You Jump Higher

Now that's a product Euroleague should definitely endorse.All those unathletic Euros dream may come true,they might even dunk!

Is The $300 Basketball Shoe Worth It?

As children, Ryan and Adam Goldston were some of the very first test dummies for LA Gear’s famous lighted shoes and later saw the very first prototypes of the Reebok pumps. Their father Mark was the president of LA Gear and the chief marketing officer of Reebok during those two big revolutionary shoe concepts.

Now, the 23-year-old twin brothers — who were walk-ons at USC — are trying to forge their own legacy in the shoe business. And they’ve certainly gotten our attention.

Their company is called Athletic Propulsion Labs and their basketball shoe is called the Concept 1, a name that draws its inspiration from the futuristic cars at auto shows that never hit the market.

The price?

A whopping $300 a pair.

The draw?

They don’t “guarantee” that you’ll jump higher, but say they have their proprietary “Load ‘N Launch” technology and the science to back it up. In a test the company performed, some players saw an instant increase of more than three inches on their vertical jump. The company’s motto? “Stop Dreaming…Jump Higher.”

“This isn’t one of these 18 week programs that trains you to jump,” Ryan said.“Our shoes instantly make you jump higher. The pressure you put on the shoe before you jump helps propel you upward like a diving board.”

To cut down on marketing costs, the shoes are being sold on the company’s Web site. In the three months they’ve been on sale, the twins say it has definitely been a success and new colorways are on the way.

How many people have returned their pair after failing to see what they were promised?

“We had one person send their shoes back,” Adam said.

As for the price, the Goldstons say it’s warranted even in this economy because the shoe does what they say it does and, even though it’s made in China, its parts are much more expensive to produce.

One retailer did decide to take a chance on the Concept 1’s: Modell’s. The company took a small allotment to sell in its Times Square store

It is a tough, tough market, but if the shoes really do increase your vertical and they really do increase your chances that you can dunk, and the word gets out about it, the shoes will sell no matter what the price,” said Jed Berger, Modell’s senior vice president of marketing. “To many, three hundred dollars is worth the cost and risk of fulfilling the dream of dunking.”

Knowing I couldn’t write this story without testing out the shoes, I had the Goldstons send me a pair. On Monday, I took my basketball hoop down to eight feet and dunked wearing my Nike basketball shoes. Then I tried on the Concept 1’s. I didn’t measure it, and it could have been psychological, but I did feel like I had better “ups.”

So far, the buzz about the shoes has been confined mostly to the sneaker circles, but one thing can change that all: If the NBA decides to ban the shoes.

The brothers had an exploratory meeting with the league and are hoping to outfit an NBA player in the Concept 1’s this season. But if the NBA determines that the player has an unfair advantage, perhaps that’s just the news this startup needs.

As for whether possible success would breed copycats, the Goldstons say their pending patent is quite complicated with more than 200 pages long and over 150 drawings of how the technology works.

And watch out, the Goldstons say they’re in the process of making a running shoe that will help you run faster!
    As children, Ryan and Adam Goldston were some of the very first test dummies for LA Gear’s famous lighted shoes and later saw the very first prototypes of the Reebok pumps. Their father Mark was the president of LA Gear and the chief marketing officer of Reebok during those two big revolutionary shoe concepts.

more here
    Sports Illustrated's Chris Ballard has been testing out some shoes that claim they can make you jump higher, thanks to some kind of high-tech spring built into the sole.

COOL shoes...is it available here in the philippines?
    welcome back! lost kings of Asian basketball!

Comment

I remember back then, I bought a pair of shoes which you will pump manually in able to jump high. But I don't think that it's working. Missed that shoes.

Comment

Hmm sounds interesting. Can this shoe makes me jump out of the Gym? :P
        Last edited by Snapwebsolutions; 10-11-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Shoes aren't going to make a noticeable difference in your vertical - it takes more work and effort than that to really learn how to jump higher for basketball.

Comment

Cross reference with Khalid80's thread.
            Sacramento Kings
            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Cool shoes! I really like it. I will save my money to buy it. I want to jump higher and achieve nice goals.
              Mobile App Development

Comment

You can find a related video about the APL shoes here:

A friend of mine is expecting the shoes in a few days so I might some more feedback.
                sigpic

Join the online basketball social network for players,
                coaches, agents, teams, journalists, organizations and fans.

http://wwww.basketballid.com

Comment

Maybe there's some physics to it but if you really want to get that dunk then have basketball training aids so you can get the right shot.

Comment

oooh nice!
                    my kid wants some basketball shoes, if its possible to have children size that would be pretty nice
                    I do have a question though (Im extremely sorry for hijacking this subject, but I thought since your talking about shoes maybe you can help me)
                    I need to get basketball shoes for my son and Im not sure what to get..
                    I saw these http://www.twenga.com/price-nike-kid...all-shoes.html but I'm not sure what is approprita for a kid..
                    hope someone can help me
                    have a nice day yall

Comment

sorry again If I wasnt supposed to post here!

Comment

http://www.howto-jumphigher.com/

http://howto-jumphigher.com will be reviewing the shoes you are referring to by Athletic Propulsion Labs soon, or visit http://www.athleticpropulsionlabs.com/. The best way to increase your vertical, depending upon your age, would be to start a carefully designed set of plyometric and weight training exercises. Through the correct and repeated application of plyometrics, you will be able to improve not only your jumping ability but also your explosiveness and ankle stability, which is very important. The right weight training exercises strengthen your entire lower body, consisting of your quads and hamstrings, calves, ankles, and your abs.Check theeir site as they will be giving away a free e-book full of exercises, drills, and tips to increase your vertical and improve speed and explosiveness or check out a few of the programs found right here on the site. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK, OR BY CLICKING THE LITTLE ORANGE ICON TO THE RIGHT ON THAT PAGE, to get all important updates, reviews, and new information to help you!

http://www.howto-jumphigher.com

Happy Training!

Comment

They sell some here in the USA for abt 300, I heard they are worth it but the NBA has banned them lol
                          Chances favors the prepared mind and body...

Comment

I prefer natural ability

Comment

Originally posted by salsa45 View Post
                              Shoes aren't going to make a noticeable difference in your vertical - it takes more work and effort than that to really learn how to jump higher for basketball.
                              I agree

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information