PDA

View Full Version : Your history in basketball

Phantim3dx
08-30-2006, 06:40 AM
Hey all I dont remember if a thread was ever started about our history in bsaketball and how we came to be in this great sport we all enjoy and heatly debate about.
I was wondeirng about the other forum members here about your run in with basketball as in, how old were you when you first started playing it, when did you start playing organized basketball, your position, are you just a basketball statistics nut or do you actually play the game, do you play more than you type on this board, what was greatest achievements in your basketball career, etc etc etc

Nakz
08-30-2006, 10:36 AM
My interest in this sport began somewhere in the middle 90s. I played for the local B-ball club for like 7 years. My position was somewhere like SG/SF (since I'm only 1,85 :( ) After that I didn't play in a competition, but I still play B-ball frequently outside with some friends.

CHINA TEAM
08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Very nice thread to me!~But it is a long story:o

Phantim3dx
08-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Doesnt Have To Be Long @ All!!

BadMann
08-30-2006, 12:51 PM
its easy , Jordon gave a key , and i open the door , but he soon locked the door , so i couldnt come out , and the room was full of basketball and no other things , :D

a beautiful story :D

PHILIPeurobasket
08-30-2006, 01:16 PM
a beautiful story :D

plaintive story :D

rikhardur
08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
My passion for basketball started when I was 10 or 11 years old, by watching NBA games and of course Jordan had a tremendous influence in it. I guess he was the one to push the game for a global level.
I never played in any club, just enjoyed playing with some friends in long and hard-fought afternoons of basketball :) At some point I started thinking about joining a club, but that never happened for some reason.
Btw I don't touch a basket ball for nearly 4 years can you believe that? :D

Levenspiel
08-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Here I'll present you a tragic, but a typical, Turkish youngster story :)

My love for bball started with the televised games of Efes Pilsen and Petar Naumoski in European competitons around 1994. I used to live in a southern city, Iskenderun, where everyone, including me, was a pure football fanatic. There were not a single hoop in my neighbourhood, and the ones in school were only employed as one of the goalposts in football games.

So, I started to imitate Naumoski's shots by throwing oranges into a teapot.:D When I got better, I made a hoop out of a iron bar, enclosed by a plastic tube, and started to play in the garden. But it was not till 1997 that I first touched a real basketball and threw it to a real hoop, after moving to a bigger city. Then I came to Ankara to study, and started play bball for hours, sometimes 7-8 hours a day. Unfortunately, this late effort did not bring me to any place, so I had to go on with my academical career :p. I still try to play it as much as I can.

In the big cities, the situation is much better, with summer schools and bball teams in schools, etc., but most of the children in other cities simply do not have any opportunities to get to know bball.

Phantim3dx
08-30-2006, 05:32 PM
wow this is like a barbarossa story of how he came to terms with basketball in brazil

Here I'll present you a tragic, but a typical, Turkish youngster story :)

My love for bball started with the televised games of Efes Pilsen and Petar Naumoski in European competitons around 1994. I used to live in a southern city, Iskenderun, where everyone, including me, was a pure football fanatic. There were not a single hoop in my neighbourhood, and the ones in school were only employed as one of the goalposts in football games.

So, I started to imitate Naumoski's shots by throwing oranges into a teapot.:D When I got better, I made a hoop out of a iron bar, enclosed by a plastic tube, and started to play in the garden. But it was not till 1997 that I first touched a real basketball and threw it to a real hoop, after moving to a bigger city. Then I came to Ankara to study, and started play bball for hours, sometimes 7-8 hours a day. Unfortunately, this late effort did not bring me to any place, so I had to go on with my academical career :p. I still try to play it as much as I can.

In the big cities, the situation is much better, with summer schools and bball teams in schools, etc., but most of the children in other cities simply do not have any opportunities to get to know bball.

J-Mart
08-30-2006, 05:54 PM
when I was 3 years old I sat down with my dad to watch a Bulls game and saw a Jordan dunk, I dont know, but I have always kept that image fresh on my mind. I started to like what those guys where doing on tv and started imitating them, throwing a ball to a milk basket in my house, until I was 8, that my mom went to a basketball school and got me into it. I quickly started to emerge as a big time scorer (32 out of my team's 34 points when I was 8 years old :p). Then they moved me to play against bigger, older players, where I started to be a benchwarmer, I got frustrated, got some braces and quitted compettiion ball, and kept playing streetball, till I was 16 or 17. I suffered a series of ankle injuryes which made me move to the PG spot and develop a passing game a a jump shot. I made my college team once, but injuries have keep me out of the team for the last 2 or 3 years. Im trying to come back right no,w but I suffered another injury, not that serious, but I was really getting in shape again and its a lil bit frustrating, so thats how my basketball life goes... frustrating :rolleyes:

I will keep playing ankles or no ankles :rolleyes:

Karbo
08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I was born in 1981. in Mostar (B&H former rep. of Yugoslavia).
Started training basketball in Zenica (B&H) `90.-`91. ectually father took me to the training and at the begining i didn't like it. So father gave me money for some chocolates to get on a way back home each time and that was it... I was training for like a few months when war started in Slovenia, then spreads to Croatia and Bosnia too, later on.
So i had a huge breake from 'basketball world' at that time (90.-95.).
In February 1995. i started training and playing for BC Borac Nektar Banjaluka, under 14's and under 16's team (won 3rd place in Cadets tournoment of Rep. Srpska in `96.). Back than i was 193cms tall and barelly 70kgs, hard tranings (3 times a day) plus my fast growth resulted with a low hearth pulse (average was 45 per min. while normal healthy person have 60-80 per min.)! So i was in hospital few times because of low hearth beats/pulse. 32 was the lowes i got. Luckily i made it alive. :D
I was really into it, basketball was evertything for me. 24/7.
In 1997. we moved (migrated) to Australia, and i conntinue to play basketball. I joind Wollongong Hawks under 18' (we won NSW Chapionship, first place) and Under 20's (won first place in NSW again). In 1998. i had a very bad car accident wich resulted not playing for couple of years (took me nearly 2 years to recover and get back on court). Some chick hit me with a car, i was pedestrian. Lucky didn't broke any bones. Because of very bad enjurys, i couldn't run or jump normaly for 2 years (my left hamstring and right ancle was badly damaged). So it was a horible era of my life. Not playing for couple of years resulted in my weight incresment, now im 110kgs (used to be barelly 70kgs) and 198cms tall. Currently playing positions 2,3 & 4. All depends of the team.
Last year i started training with Wollongong Seahawks, wich are competing in ABA (second Australian League).
So this will be my short baketball history. :cool:

BTW I grow up in Zenica, hometown of Zoran Savic (my father was his profesor back in highschool days), so i watched Zoran Savic when he was playing for BC Zenica Celik back in mid 80's. First time i saw him, he was the biggest man for me.

rikhardur
08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Started training basketball in Zenica (B&H) `90.-`91. ectually father took me to the training and at the begining i didn't like it. So father gave me money for some chocolates to get on a way back home each time and that was it... I was training for like a few months when war started in Slovenia, then spreads to Croatia and Bosnia too, later on.
In February 1995. i started training and playing for BC Borac Nektar Banjaluka, under 14's and under 16's team (won 3rd place in Cadets tournoment of Rep. Srpska in `96.). Back than i was 193cms tall and barelly 70kgs, hard tranings (3 times a day) plus my fast growth resulted with a low hearth pulse (average was 45 per min. while normal healthy person have 60-80 per min.)! So i was in hospital few times because of low hearth beats/pulse. 32 was the lowes i got. Luckily i made it alive. :D
In 1997. we moved (migrated) to Australia, and i conntinue to play basketball. I joind Wollongong Hawks under 18' (we won NSW Chapionship, first place) and Under 20's (won first place in NSW again). In 1998. i had a very bad car accident wich resulted not playing for couple of years (took me nearly 2 years to recover and get back on court). Some chick hit me with a car, i was pedestrian. Lucky didn't broke any bones. Because of very bad enjurys, i couldn't run or jump normaly for 2 years (my left hamstring and right ancle was badly damaged). So it was a horible era of my life. Not playing for couple of years resulted in my weight incresment, now im 110kgs (used to be barelly 70kgs) and 198cms tall. Currently playing positions 2,3 & 4. All depends of the team.
Last year i started training with Wollongong Seahawks, wich are competing in ABA (second Australian League).

BTW I grow up in Zenica, hometown of Zoran Savic (my father was his profesor back in highschool days), so i watched Zoran Savic when he was playing for BC Zenica Celik back in mid 80's. First time i saw him, he was the biggest man for me.
Very interesting story indeed I must say :)

PHILIPeurobasket
08-30-2006, 06:57 PM
MY first contact with basketball was when I have 10 years. I go with my dad to school, where training has old boys (they have 10-12 years). I feared but I know that I want play. I remember that after first day my coach said me "i believe that you will be good player, but you must play on 100% and fight about good place in team" ... One month later coach called me on junior tournament, where I was 2nd player in team :) In this club I play 3 years.

3 years later, when I have 13 years I go to WTK Wloclawek, where I have training 3 times on week. I remember that Im very tired, and I have problems in school. My parent say "Philip please stop, basket is not your life", but I say no, I say to mam mom "I want play basket, and I want have money by basket". In WTK I play 3 years. I play in more tournament (in one of them I was called MVP :)), I play also in Polish 3rd and 2nd league. My last coach was Boban Mitev, Macedonian coach - he will work now in Turow Zgorzelec.

Now I stop with basket. I know that I didnt have chances to play :( - I dont know why, but I think so. Maybe I didnt have time ? I have school, I have girlfriend, I have work .... Today I know that basket is mi life, but I will be not a basketball player :(

Joško Poljak Fan
08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
well I remember watching the old Yugo league with my dad... I was kind of always bball fan, but the obsession started with Hakeem & Clyde in 95, later to be completely overtook by one of Sabonis's unbelievable peformances with Real Madrid in front of my eyes against Olimpija...

I trained lots of sports unntill i got completely focused on bball at the age of 15, than I sprained my right ankle 4 times in one year, later got obssesed with dunking I ofcourse exaggerated and ruined my knees so I was training less and less with every year untill i completely stopped with trainings at the age of 19.
Also I guess noone really needed a tweener like me: a SF trapped in PG's body :rolleyes:

my biggest basketball achievements... hmm...:
-covering 225 cm tall Czech Ivan Hoger (i'm 187) which made me a laughing stock for the whole next year :D
-once actually believing I managed to stop ex-Olimpija's benchwarmer Gregor Mali out of the dribble untill he passed by me for a two handed dunk
-watching my team getting butchered by 25 after 20 minutes by Bežigrad HS with their 2nd lineup, while Lorbek brothers and Slokar didn't even bother to enter the game (hey we still ended up 3rd in Ljubljana, while Bežigrad ended up as an unnoficial HS world champion that year)
-getting dunked on by 170cm tall PG... that still hurts
-stealing the ball for 3 times in a row against (U15) NT's first PG... he was 15 and I was 19 ...
-once getting drunk with Dragiša Drobnjak and Slobodan Subotič...

quite a career :rolleyes:

PHILIPeurobasket
08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
-once getting drunk with Dragiša Drobnjak and Slobodan Subotič...

This guys play in Turow Zgorzelec :) Drobnjak will play in this season, Subotic was in last ...

J-Mart
08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
come on matiz, I know u better have something better as career highlights :)

Juan Carlos Nadal
08-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Always been in love with the sport. Never had a dilemma between basketball and some other sport. I don't remember how I got the bug, but it is was fairly unlikely given that no-one in my family likes sports (in fact my dad hates sports). That, I suppose, makes me a self-taught basketball junkie.

As a kid I sucked at playing the game, despite my height. But as years went by I became a fairly decent baller. Played for my HS team as well, winning 2nd place in the regional championship, even though my contribution was second to.. everybody else's :D.

Now, I am only good enough to beat the crap out of 45 year old, scottish, ex-rugby, brick-throwers at the gym, 2 times a week, which I do. I played for my University team as well, registering (without an exaggeration) 35ppg, 15rpg, 10apg but that's like asking LeBron to play in the Swaziland league.
Still though I looked cool as hell in the larger-than-life jerseys we were wering that year :D

Phantim3dx
08-30-2006, 08:07 PM
very interesting careers so far I msut say!!! damn a 170 cm pg dunking. i mean ive heard of such thing im only 167 cm and i wish i could dunk. i can "hang" in the air, but my vertical isnt as high as I'd want it to be.

someday when we are all prosperous and probably out of shape also with beer bellies and man boobs, we should meet somewhere to play a pickup game or two... oxygen tank and one of those things to jumpstart your heart if u get a cardiac arrest

elaj
08-30-2006, 08:09 PM
This guys play in Turow Zgorzelec :) Drobnjak will play in this season, Subotic was in last ...
He means Slobodan "Pixi" Subotic ex coach of Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, PAOK Thessaloniki, AEK Athens, Iraklis Thessaloniki.. now coach in Aurora Jesi (Lega2). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I started playing basketball when I was 6-7 years old. My brother was playing it too, so I decided to give a shoot. I also enjoyed watching bball on TV (Olimpija's games). I fall in love with the sport. I was playing for my school at the age of 12-13, when some coach invited me to some club where I practised for 2-3 years. In the last year I had some problems with injurys (ankles) and my coach was really a psycho :rolleyes: , so I had a fight with him and left the training without saying good bye. :rolleyes: I've tried to make some kind of come back, but before I've even tried to make it, it has ended with sprained and dislocated knee while I was playing football with my friends. :) :rolleyes:

I also played football, handball (I don't know why I stopped playing it, I was actually quite good at it, probably cuz I like basketball better :D) and some other sports.

Anyway I'm still playing bball with my friends and bro on the playing ground once a while...:rolleyes:

PHILIPeurobasket
08-30-2006, 08:12 PM
very interesting careers so far I msut say!!! damn a 170 cm pg dunking. i mean ive heard of such thing im only 167 cm and i wish i could dunk. i can "hang" in the air, but my vertical isnt as high as I'd want it to be.

Phantim3dx everyone can dunk, also you - just believe it !!! Look for example on Spud Webb :)

http://perso.orange.fr/nba-history/images/as/webb2_295_ADB20.jpg

J-Mart
08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
thats interesting :)

I know I can touch the bottom of the backboard :)

Joško Poljak Fan
08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
come on matiz, I know u better have something better as career highlights :)
well that's it more or less actually... those achievements I've listed aren't actually that bad :D... while I wasn't anything spectacular either (unless you like massive dunk attempts) (once again: attempts)... unfortunately I am still arranging to get some tapes with it- this thing lasts for the past 4-5 years so I guess I'll get them somewhere in 2020...

our beloved missing member J-Will had some better achievements, he once dropped 20 points on Jure Močnik (PG that brought us european U20 gold), got an offer from a 1st league club for which he found out 2 years later, since the coach got jelous and didn't want to let him go from his club :rolleyes:

BadMann
08-30-2006, 08:34 PM

beautiful story , you maybe the tallest of our community ,

J-Mart
08-30-2006, 08:43 PM
well that's it more or less actually... those achievements I've listed aren't actually that bad :D... while I wasn't anything spectacular either (unless you like massive dunk attempts) (once again: attempts)... unfortunately I am still arranging to get some tapes with it- this thing lasts for the past 4-5 years so I guess I'll get them somewhere in 2020...

our beloved missing member J-Will had some better achievements, he once dropped 20 points on Jure Močnik (PG that brought us european U20 gold), got an offer from a 1st league club for which he found out 2 years later, since the coach got jelous and didn't want to let him go from his club :rolleyes:

so J-Will is not posting cuz he killed his coach after he found out that he didnt gave him his offer :)

qiangdade
08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Nice thread! Well i first got in contact with bball during the eurobasket in greece in '87. Started watching more( mostly aris' european games ) and with an age of about 10-11 (1990) i started playing. I never played for a team and i was not tall till the age of 17 (was about1,76-1,78). My position then was SG and i had developed a descent 3p shooting. Then i started growing and ended up with the 197cm that i stand now. Fortunatelly i kept my position and was able to shoot even better. Unfortunatelly one year later i had to serve in the german military so bball was practically over for me due to excessive drinking through my service and after:D :D . Still play from time to time and i am considering to join an amateur club here in berlin just to play on descent courts.

"career" highlights: During my military service in germany, a coach in the town where i lived offered me to play for the local club right after i played against him and his team in a streetball game. Not so glamorous, i know...:rolleyes: :o

oddity: i can now shoot 3s better than ever:cool:

Perseus
08-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I was a volleyball player (back in 1983) all my friends were playing basket ,they noticed my huge jump and they "used " me as rebounder in street ball ,i was ambidextrous and i was driving crazy my opponents.I was very good in offensive rebounts excellent defense, excellent drives ,good 3point shots(back in 1983 we had only 2points shots) bad passing game and wrong position i was a power forward ...

I played few games with a team in amateur leage in Athens and nothing more ,till 33 years old i was playing 3 times a week with my friends,now i am waiting for my son to be 6 and i will start again :D

Phantim3dx
08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
thats interesting :)

I know I can touch the bottom of the backboard :)

@ 167 cm i can only touch the bottom of the baord. i hope u can go higher k2, i tihnk u are taller than me

J-Mart
08-31-2006, 01:42 AM
178 :rolleyes:

PHILIPeurobasket
08-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Cm's didnt play :) - you must belive that you can dunk! Believe how believed Spud Webb ;)

Thanks God I didnt have any problems with dunks - I have 195 :)

Phantim3dx
08-31-2006, 04:18 AM
Cm's didnt play :) - you must belive that you can dunk! Believe how believed Spud Webb ;)

Thanks God I didnt have any problems with dunks - I have 195 :)

easier said than done.. i didnt dunk today or attempt to. i was firin my cylidners today and hitting crazy beyond the arc and driving in and then dishing out to suck in the defenders in the pickup games i played.

PHILIPeurobasket
08-31-2006, 04:34 AM
easier said than done.. i didnt dunk today or attempt to. i was firin my cylidners today and hitting crazy beyond the arc and driving in and then dishing out to suck in the defenders in the pickup games i played.

Jay, when you play today did you made Juan Carlos Navarro move :p ?

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/20/Navarro2.gif

And what about AND1 tricks ? Do you watch AND1 videos ? This is good basketball tricks school :)

Phantim3dx
08-31-2006, 04:48 AM
Jay, when you play today did you made Juan Carlos Navarro move :p ?

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/20/Navarro2.gif

And what about AND1 tricks ? Do you watch AND1 videos ? This is good basketball tricks school :)

nah and1 is for entertainment and im not actually a fan of and1, cuz imho its a mockery of basketball.

actually i did do something like that move!! except instead of taking the shot as id rove in one of ym guys was coming in the lane so i dish it to him for the layup :-)

if im in stuttgart, germany his first and 2nd week of october, and u have the time id like to play you in basketball as well as others here! i was tihnking of this and when i cold possibly use it during the pickup games. besides this fits me, since i am left handed, a "southpaw"

mktackabery
09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
This thread has been quiet, but here's my story (I found the illustrative video link I wanted to share).

My first basketball game was a Harlem Globetrotters game in New York when I was about five years old. I loved it, but it was a show. I don't remember seeing another real game until I was 9 years old and in the sixth grade. I went to see a boy I liked play and caught the bug bad. I loved the fluid nature of the game, how fast things could change, and oh yeah, boys in shorts. :D

Later I went to a lot of my high school's games, but my senior year I became an NC State fan when State won the NCAA Championship. Everyone in my high school was a UNC fan, so initially I was attracted to supporting the team nobody else did (yes, I thought I was such a rebel when I was 15). As I watched them, they kept doing the impossible. They kept coming back from huge deficits. They had a guy who broke his leg, and came back. They had guys who almost broke their necks, and came back. They had a point guard named Sidney Lowe tough enough to posterize Michael Jordan on his home court and not blink. And not celebrate either; he just ran back down the court and got on his man. Olajuwon, Jordan and Sampson were the stars of the ACC that year, but NC State was the team that won it all. Their coach, Jim Valvano, was the kind of coach who inspired people to live better lives, not just be good ballplayers, and even though he is gone, his spirit lives and breathes through the NC State basketball program. Today Sidney Lowe is our new basketball coach. And I am pretty sure I am always going to cheer for the Wolfpack.

Jimmy V's last speech at Reynolds Coliseum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDem4-z3kg)

wardjdim
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
@ 167 cm i can only touch the bottom of the baord. i hope u can go higher k2, i tihnk u are taller than me
Crap! I am 187 and I can only touch the bottom of the board! :D
I am not athletic at all, but I slash particularly well, I am quite good off the dribble, I finish well enough with both hands, but I havent played a single game of basketball for the past 4 years, so I dont know if I still have all those skills.
oh, i started following basketball in 1986, but I became a fan after the 1987 gold medal of Greece in the Eurobasket.

Edgar Lopez
09-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Well my first NBA game was a bullls lakers game i think lakers won any who I have played for school teams I played for my middle school team i was a benchwarmer haha i played JV for Westmont highschool in california and yes i was a starter and now im tryinng to see if i can make the Varisty team over here in North carolina im gonna try out as soon as it starts im 5'7 if i make it ill let you guys know ive always like to play pick up games in california i used to play ever day a pick up game it was crazy because some of the guys from local colleges would come and play and they would do all sorts of alley oops i played with themi alot im really a ANd1 baksetball player so when i started playin highschool hoops i always got called for carrying and all that other stuff so theirs my B ball history kind of boaring hu?

mktackabery
09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Well my first NBA game was a bullls lakers game i think lakers won any who I have played for school teams I played for my middle school team i was a benchwarmer haha i played JV for Westmont highschool in california and yes i was a starter and now im tryinng to see if i can make the Varisty team over here in North carolina im gonna try out as soon as it starts im 5'7 if i make it ill let you guys know ive always like to play pick up games in california i used to play ever day a pick up game it was crazy because some of the guys from local colleges would come and play and they would do all sorts of alley oops i played with themi alot im really a ANd1 baksetball player so when i started playin highschool hoops i always got called for carrying and all that other stuff so theirs my B ball history kind of boaring hu?
Edgar from my 'hood, I love you - please, please, please find a comma and a few periods. :)

Edgar Lopez
09-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Edgar from my 'hood, I love you - please, please, please find a comma and a few periods. :)

Oh, sorry i was in a rush.

J-Mart
09-26-2006, 09:54 PM

I lost 30 pounds so I believe I can get my whole hand on the backboards :D

hehe, I arrived late to training camps and I got cutted :D

so I believe I still have a year of elegibility for my college team :D

Kobe24
09-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Watching the showtime Lakers of the 80s got me in to basketball. I used to pretend i was Byron Scott at the park,wearing my risband on my elbow,the way Scott used to. I used to try and run the break like Magic.

mitsos13
09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I used to pretend i was Byron Scott at the park,wearing my risband on my elbow,the way Scott used to.
:D :D :D ;)

http://ta-nea.dolnet.gr/data/D1997/D0717/1om6a.jpg

http://ta-nea.dolnet.gr/data/D1998/D0324/v5om0b.jpg

http://www.hypnagogia.com/Book/II/byron.jpg

Kobe24
09-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Was that picture taken in 1997

HIGHLANDER
10-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Basketball in the East Coast of Scotland was virtually founded by my late Polish grandad. He ended up in Scotland because he got caught up in the 2nd world war and was held prisioner in Spain by the Spanish Dictator of that time. When the war ended he was released and ended up on a ship that sailed towards the U.K, he ended up getting off in Edinburgh and thats were he met my Late Scottish granny. He introduced basketball and started one of the first teams (he also played for the Polish national team).
My dad was born and was the youngest player to play for Scotland (18)until a car accident ended that. He began coaching and introduced me to the game. I grew up watching the famous Bulls of the 80's and 90's but also loved watching Euro bball on Eurosport with Galis and Yannakis being my favourites.
I ended up playing 10 years for the national mens team travelling many places and playing over 40 games (i also captained Scotland at every under age level).
I played for 3 years pro in the British league. I now have moved over to Greece and hope to find a team here.:cool:
P.S Anyone who knows anybody who is travelling to Edinburgh to study or work and they play, let me know, my old team are looking for players..

DarkoMVP
10-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Hmm, I made 30 free throws in a row yesterday, that's about my highlight :)

Unfortunately, I am a catch and shoot SG/SF type who is only 173 cm and not really a PG-caliber ballhandler (never developed my left hand, maybe because in my main sport, tennis, it's all about your main hand). I used to play pick-up games at my local park, now there is a court at the place I live, so I play games there. I played JV one year in high school, but the team was awful enough that I was our best player and I hated our dictator-coach (he would punish us every time we lost, and we always did). After that, I concentrated on tennis, for which we were one of the top 20 teams in the country.

EverGreen
10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
The Greek NT in 1987 made me fall in love with basketball. I've been following it consistantly ever since and I would say I love it as much as I do football.

I never played basketball for any team as football was my sport ( I was better in at that too) but I was a handy street- ball player. I'd usually mark the best offensive player from the opposing team and make life hell for them :D

Lyygis
10-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Hello everybody, this is my first post so...:)
I live in such country, where basketball is second religion (ok, for me it is first). All my parents, grandparents and their friends were and still are crazy about basketball, so i grew up with basketball. Basketball maches instead cartoons, Michael Jordan as a superman.. No matter that ball was bigger than me, and i played with boys (i`m a girl).. Much more than sport... I was in one girls team for two yeras, and i played as well as i could.. I dont know why but i left it... biggest mistake of my life.. so.. Life is changing, but not my love to that game. I love that game. ;)

Captain
10-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey, i started b-ball since i was 5 years old, this is the only thing in the entire world i dont get board of, i started in the best club in Lebanon (Sagesse team) that was when i was 7 years old and i stayed playing in this team 8 years untill this year, We had gr8 acheivements we won the Lebanese b-ball championship 7 times out of 8 it was gr8 and i play PF/C or 4-5.

Stimpack
03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
i can "hang" in the air, but my vertical isnt as high as I'd want it to be.

same here. I heard there's some 'training' u can do to improve your vertical jump but i dono how well that works, if it does at all :S

heres my stopry:
started touching a basketball and shooting around when i was in grade 5 or so because I was addicted to this anime called Slam Dunk. Later on i became a swimmer and never never really play Basketball mayb like once every 2 weeks or so.
Until I go to canada in grade 10, i was like 168cm, 110lbs back then, but I could Almost touch the rim and yea "hang". I got a chance to make it in my highschool basketball "B" team (not "A" team) and as funny as it sounds my B team coach put me in 4,5 position and I was the 3rd TALLEST person inthe TEAM! XD
our team Lost all our games, but hey its my 1st time to be in a real competitive Team sport and it was fun, at the end of grade 10 i could get my finger tip on the rim.
Grade 11, was when Warcraft III came out and I was addicted to it so i didn't play bball at all for the whole year.
when grade 12 comes I start plaing Bball again for like an hour every night. at the end of grade 12 i could grab and hang on the rim at 170cm 115 or so lbs.
graduated highschool with nickname "air jordan" :P
now im 172cm and 125 lbs and cant even touch the rim
=/

Most of the time I was playing aorund and nenver watch nba or any basketball related stuff. what got me into watching NBA and catching up with basketball news etc is After I got addicted to playing NBA Live games, I just love posterizing other players i was so hooked! i w0ould crate my own team full of like 7feet guys even PGs are like 7"something and DAMN I OWN!
I would set my Dunk button as Space bar on my keyboard and after a year or so my spacebar button has like a 4milimeter hole the size of my thumb in it. I SLAM THAT SHIT HOME SO MUCH.

that is how i know most NBA players, how i know whos good whos not.. by playing game.

kukoc7
06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Primary: Started young, father was a coach. Was of average height then and was among, if not, the best in place. Could, and would, play all positions.

Highlight: A few championships and individual awards.

Secondary: Got older, got passed by by other kids in height. Started gaining weight, too much weight. Still had good post moves, can work against bigger players. Great shooting, good passing. Lame defense.

Highlights: Best 3-point shooter in a local competition. Once when visiting for a knockout game, was chased by drunk fans of home team for making 7 of 9 3-point attempts.

Now: Too old. Short, can't run, can't jump. Just waits for ball in the 3-point area. Not interested in defense. Hardly plays anymore.

Highlights: Surprises young/new players with shooting.

Favorite players: L. Bird, T. Kukoc

:D

turkishpower
06-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I played in junior tournaments until I went to US at the age of 18. I'm 1.87cm 82kg. I had a similar body(pretty muscular compared to 95% of other players) when I was 16-17 so in junior tournaments I was like the powerful guy of the team. Instead of playing PG, (I could never play PG actually, lack of talent), I was playing SF/SG. I could easily guard 1.95-2.00 m players. Most importantly, I loved every second of my basketball career. Once we were third in the city İzmir and in a streetball tournament my team was second. Nothing that special about me. I wasn't the best player out there. I could shoot, dribble just like any other small guy but never the best. Most importantly I was a beast in the defensive end. That's why I could play SF with 1.85cm at that age. I could block almost any SF's shot and some PF's. I was like a better ballhandler version of Shawn Marion and a mix of AK. If I were to be 1.95cm instead of 1.87 right now, maybe who knows I could become a basketballer even in US.(university team)
That's me fellas hope u enjoyed the short explanation of my career :)

My Jersey Number: 6
Favorite Player: Mirsad Türkcan

Even I acted very similar to Mirsad in the games. 2 times I broke out a fight after the games, or during the game. One game was canceled :D and of course I had so many technicals always. [email protected], if I had the mind I have now, I wouldn't be that agressive but just like my idol, I could never control my temper.

Edit: And yeah, what made me start basketball in junior tournaments is, when I was 14, after the 2001 Eurobasket in Turkey. I watched it and I was pumped a lot. Mirsad Türkcan, his game and the way he behaves in the court got me into basketball.

alermac
06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
My first glance of basketball was the 1990 World Cup in Argentina. I was just 6 and my family isn't a basketball-fan family, so I watched it on TV. I also used to follow River Plate's campaign through the newspaper.

A couple of years later, I met the NBA and MJ, but there wasn't much TV time for it. In 1994 I got cable, so I became a fan. First it was that great Orlando Magic team, and Hakeem, and then it was MJ's comeback and his 55 points on the Knicks.

In 1996 the argentinean league caught me with a great Finals (Olimpia - Atenas, both teams full of great players) and Olimpia's South American title. By then, Basketball was clearly my nş 1 sport.

I only played officially from 1997 to 1999 (up to Cadet), because I used to be a football goalkeeper and didn't have enough time to join two teams. I was never good; too slow to be a 3, to short to be a 4, awful dribbler, but a lot of hustle, a decent shot and little else. I finally quit because I got sick of being 40' in the bench even as my team was getting 40-point blowouts routinely. My coach once told be I could be a great coach eventually... but I don't want heart attacks.

Now I just play pickups, and train with my university's team one in a while.

Highlights? None really. Just a game in which I had 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals in 15', but not a single point. And we won (thet didn't happen often).

Favourite number: 11, but I usually wore 7 (11 was taken).
Favourite player: Charles Barkley.

EverGreen
06-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I actually have a funny story which I might as well throw in here.

Back in 1989 back on my hometown of Mitilini- Lesvos, I went to play some streetball with whoever would be down in the basketball courts at this high school. There was six of us of which 5 of us had played before. We didn't know the 6th guy so he was asked if he was any good so the teams made up would be balanced. He said "I'm ok. I can play". The f*cker didn't miss a shot. His name was Panayiotis Liadelis. :D

His dad is from a neighbouring village called Loutra and he had come with his family for the summer to see his relatives from his fathers side.

rikhardur
06-02-2007, 12:04 AM
He said "I'm ok. I can play". The f*cker didn't miss a shot. His name was Panayiotis Liadelis. :D
:D Great story!

Sit
06-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Kool. Don't we all love basketball stories? :D

Here's mine anyways. I first got into it in 7th grade.It was the Sydney Olympics in Australia. I never got to see Team USA play until the gold medal match. It was all Shane Heal, Andrew Gaze on tv for me. I loved watching them hit their shots. The Aussioe National team was and still is very guard orientated... maybe thats where i picked up all my bad habits. :D

Anyways... i never really played too much... bball isnt very big here and i wasnt a sporting type of guy... i was the most uncoordinated kid at school... the biggest nerd. it was my last year of primary school when it was 2000.

The next year, I got an academic scholarship to study at my high school. That year i joined the high school B grade team. I wasn't the best player but I worked my ass off. everyone was on the same level in terms of skill but I tried so hard. Went to training early and left late. Went to games 1 hour before to help set up the courts and set up score tables an stuff... and then to warm up early. I thought it would give me an advantage. It payed off as I won my team's most improved player award. :D

In grade 9 the net year, it was one of my funnest seasons. I improved a lot from playign with older guys but still only made the B side. But our B team was different in that we had a few A team players from the season before. And we did awesome. I played PG and did a good job... how do i know? Cuse i won the best team player award. The story only gets interesting because half the team didn't think I deserved it because I wasn't anything special in their eyes...

Grade 10: I joined my local club. Started off as a sixth man SG... ended the season as starting SG. Noting that I am a SG trapped in a PG's body. For my club team, I was maybe one of the better shooters. I wasn't a big part of my team but I had my moments. In one game where my friend the starting SF was away, I stepped up and delivered 14 points including a three pointer from the sideline over someone a lot taller than me. The best part was that we won the game...

Grade 10 school basketball... i got snubbed by the A team coach. It hurt me a lot. I had an attitude back then because I was so sure of myself. I was stuck on a team with guys who had never played before. My main highlight was a 18 point in a 36-32 loss... in that game, I was hitting everything. We were even winning entering the last quarter and I felt sorry my friend hadn't played much so i offered him my place to start the last quarter... then 4 minutes later we started losing by 5-6 points... never recovered... i even scored a 3 to pull the scores 32-34 with half a minute left...

^^ that year was what made me work even harder to improve as a better player. I hated to lose and I had screwed up my relationship with my coach... he asked me to leave the team because he thought I had trust issues with our centre and half of the team. I didn't want to be stuck in B grade basketball...

In the next year, I worked hard and tried out for my school's Senior team. To my surprise, the coach allowed me to make the training roster. Th training team was combined of what he called the school's top 16 players. It was an honour as there were so many seniors on the team. A lot of final year players plus maybe a quarter of the team were in the grade below: my grade. It was great and I learnt a lot. In the end, I didn't make the final cut... the four players picked ahead of me were either older and more experienced or they were just better players. I was in the A team and this is the highlight of my 'career' - we won the championship in which our school competes in.

That was when I was hurt again. Our senior team was invited to play in the state tournament. Two of the seniors were ineligible to play... there was one training session where two players from our team were going to be chosen to join the senior team... i got in trouble that week and got a detention... and they wouldnt let me change it. I didn't make training and coach didn't ask me to join the team. One of the guys chosen to attend the state tournament was a bench player. I was the starting PG... so i was hurt a lot.

My senior year: I didn't even make the A team. We had a new coach who was inexperienced as our old coach was a former pro aussie player. Everyone on our A team from grade 11 made the senior team. I was the only one who didn't make it. Even worse was the fact that i was cut after the first try out where I actually played really well... i was stuck on the school B team in senior level. We lost 3 games, all by 3 point margins. Ended the season in 4th. I won an individual award... the Coaches award because of my commitment at training and my leadership in games... it wasnt enough. And I was devestated because i really wanted to help my school win a championship for the senior team. They ended up losing the championship game by 3 points despite leading by 18 against the 4th placed team in the competition...

Have you guys ever felt that? I remember I told my friends, 'I'd rather be a resevre player and just do my part for the senior team as long as we can win'...

Well... that was two years ago... sicne then ive played recreational basketball and havent been as good as i was two years ago... ive now turned to academics and am studying a law degree... bball aided me in becoming slack but ive learnt from my mistakes.

Sometimes I've thought that if i was at least 180 cm tall... maybe i would have had a future in basketball.. but even then, the chances of doing it as a career are very slim. I only stand at 169 cm and always played SG for most of my teams... but u know... thats how much i love basketball. I love it so much i always make myself feel a bit sad by thinking of all the what ifs... but theres no use haha...

anyways... thats my story! I started as a beginner, going to a role player/sometimes sixth man, going to the man of the team, then to starting PG on a championship team (also supposedly having enough potential to make the senior team but it didnt work out)... i guess im a bit lucky in that i've seen it all sort of. But I will always keep playing basketball and hope to try out for my uni team next year!

Hope you guys didn't find my story too boring. :D

Joško Poljak Fan
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
We didn't know the 6th guy so he was asked if he was any good so the teams made up would be balanced. He said "I'm ok. I can play". The f*cker didn't miss a shot. His name was Panayiotis Liadelis. :D
:D hilarious

kind of the contrary story... I was with my HS on one tournament in 2nd grade (16 years old) and my jaws were dropping when I saw the opponent 214 cm center... we were all like wtf?!
I was talking to him, he was all big mouth about his career expectations, 1league team interested in him, US college invitations- we got scared, he wasn't from Ljubljana so noone knew him...
And than the game begun and he was dominated by a 190 PF and with guards making layups in his face, I believe he ended up with sth. like 4 points and 2 rebounds with lots of fouls... I can't believe that a 214 guy (same goes for that 210cm with 40 kg's romanian player Olimpija had) can be less of a prospect than average player you meet at pick up games...

The best was Hoger with 225 cm... coach was completely furious, but I never laughed as much as on that particular game, we've had 3 players above 200 cm (200, 201 and 207) in the team but after every pick&roll somebody smaller had to pick on him and some situations were hilarious... together with our coach seriously demanding us to cover him... wtf?! like i'm not almost 40 cm's shorter? bench was lmao during the whole game, we actually started to cheer for Hoger, while I managed to find it funny on court as well acting as a player and TV commentator all in one and on court...
coach resented me this one... but there is more...
next game goes into final minutes I stole the ball, went across the court for a layup, defender hit me on my arm so hard the whole Tivoli must've heard it... ref was one meter away but still didn't whistle... of course I missed the layup and fall on the ground... instead of running for defense than, I stood up and started talking with (actually not screaming at...) the ref' like WTF!? didn't you see that? "see what" If you haven't see it, i'm sure you've heard it... he said that it wasn't enough based on criteria, i laughed my ass out... in the mean time coach lost his voice screaming on me to get my ass back on the defense, he turned purple/blue/gray at that time... finally ref said, okay I admit I screwed up, but no worries man, yours have just won the ball in defense and there is barely 10 seconds left on the game, of course I was the only one on the opponents half, got a bad bass so I could score just when some opponents guards runned 1 meter away from me... I scored I heard a whistle, ref said basket and a foul (wtf?)... lesson: it's good to be nice with the referees... especially lazy ones
that along with several missed crowded dunk attempts earned me a benchwarmerforlife status at that coach (which was sadly coaching me in the club as well as being HS coach as well)...

got a chance for revenge though: our HS than played vs. my club (kind of as reward for a good season as the last game in front of the crowd)) and it almost costed him his job... I went completely nuts in the first half, earned to be covered by the best defender in the second... and we've lost by 3 points thanks to my missed 3pointer (kind of exagerated) and a TO in the last minute... that'd be the only, only, ONLY thing I'd change in bball if I had a chance, that last freaking minute I screwed up. But in any case discussions if he should stay as a coach or not were sweet enough, especially knowing my game played a big part with it :D if we won, i'm sure he'd be replaced... so that last minute is still bothering me...

Stimpack
08-18-2007, 12:19 PM

dude your avartar fooled me Good......
I was like is this bug drunk or something, i even pressed my index on my monitor hoping to kill it even then i STILL didn't think it's fake and thought it's just really deep in my monitor......

wow....

rikhardur
08-18-2007, 12:26 PM
dude your avartar fooled me Good......
I was like is this bug drunk or something, i even pressed my index on my monitor hoping to kill it even then i STILL didn't think it's fake and thought it's just really deep in my monitor......

wow....
Many have experienced the same before and I'm sure will :D
A serious candidate for avatar of the year I say :p

usausa
08-18-2007, 07:59 PM
I started when I was 9-10 yrs old after finding out my mom was a HS star and colleges wanted her to play. My grandfather convinced her not to play because there was no option after and wanted her to focus on a career.
Anyways, I started in a YMCA league that was like a beginners league and I started picking up the game and became good. Then, I got glasses (or when I play, Kareem goggles and still use them today). For the next year, I lost my shooting touch. Then, I adjusted to the goggles and was decent. When I moved, I had to start my reputation all over and I believe thats what hurts me today when I try out. My middle school coach (7th n 8th grade) was a local coach and I wasn't known at all and got cut 2 yrs in a row. Then last year, I tried out for my freshman team. Now, I played great, 4/4 in the scrimmage, always divin and hustlin, workin my tail off. The final spot for F was pretty much between this taller Asian kid (only 1 inch or so) and me. I defended him great, never got a shot off, scored a couple on him, few solid boxout to him and they say he makes it, I didnt. But wait, it gets better. Another hotshot G thought he was gonna make it. When they told him no, he strted cryin like a baby and being a sore loser by kicking the bleachers. After 15 minutes of this crap, the coaches said theyd give him another "shot". But everyone know they put him as a backup. That really ticked me off :mad: .
Ive been lucky the past 2 years my parents send me to basketball camps. My favorite is Dave Cowens basketball school.
I play now in a town league and hone my skills. I play SF-PF (3-4) depending who comes on the floor. Toward the end of last season (March), I started gaining respect of my team and even started the playoff games. We only lost in semis to best team, undefeated, by 4. I has 12 points, prolly 9-10 rebs and 4 assists. My biggest weakness probably is my right hand.

Thats my story.

Test
03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I think it will be very interesting tread for all of us. I wonder how you all started to be interested in basketball???

I was like 13 years old and it was in 2000. We skip the school to watch game between LTU and USA in Sydney olympics. I did not knew any players before except Sabonis. Nobody watched bball in my house because I grew up without father only with my mother. All my friends even girls knew some players and I did not. Then I was explained that our little country with 3000000 inhabitants are playing agains best super country USA NT players. Everybody knew Vince Carter and I did not and I did not cared, but when we almost won and everywhere in the papers were highlits about that game - something born in me. I did not knew what (no that was not a cancer or an Alien :) )
Some time after that I was in my village at my grandma house and TV did not showed anything except basketball against some Lietuvos Rytas ans Panathinaikos teams. Commentator explained that PAO is champions and Vilnius - my hometown team is young and nothing prooved yet. And then I saw some dude Robertas Javtokas - he was very young and he dunked very nice (what else was interesting to me except dunks at that moment?). Then Siskauskas dunked reverse dunk - I never saw these things before that was amazing!!! Rytas won that game and I believe it was biggest victory in early Rytas history and it also was biggest victory IN MY LIFE because I started to love basketball. That thing what was born in my earlier- that was a passion to basketball! And I realised it.

Some time after I was going outside to hang around and do nothing as usual and former classmate offered to me to play a basketball. He was playing since first grade and I never played bball before (I knew only how to drible a little). Then he explained me the rules. We played until 11 points and I beat him. It was so easy to me. Then we played again and I beat him again. Then I realised that basketball is very interesting game because I am fast and have extraordinary hangtime (I hold record of my school in jumping and running... until 10th gade when beer started to be very cheap). After that I started to play everyday and even bought an expensive sport shoes in Gariunai market LOL. Nobody could block me and I blocked everyone - this was fun. I remember I did 8 blocks in a row to my classmate HAHA. He probably remembers it too.. It was easy to me to jump and at age 13 I touched a rim. Not bad for 160 guy huh ? Next year I hrew up to 175cm and I was easy for me to hang on the rim but then I fell once and I am afraid to hang until now. Actualy I dunked ball on normal rim only once in 8-9th grade..

I used to wake up at 3AM and watch NBA games on german channel DSF. Lakers - Sixers fights are still in my memory.

Now I grow up a little and in 3 years I played basketball maybe 10-20 times only because of layziness and lack of time. Now I am waiting for good weather and I would like to start to play basketball more often outside. I am sure I can easily shoot 6/10 3ples right now even I did not touched a ball in months :)

Now I don't like NBA because it is just an entertaining programme with as many as possible dunks allowed to attract watchers. I realised that European basketball is best. USA with NBA stars did not won any international competitions since Sydney and we all know why. European bball philosophy is the best and I it fun to me - patriot - to see when my country wins in so important games. By watching basketball and discussing here with you I feel a part of it. When I play basketball I feel alive and this is very important part of life :)